Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the betting markets reacted to the 1st round result – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    Sunak must be in a better position tonight with the Hunt endorsement. Of course it doesn’t mean that all his supporters will move over in one blob, but possibly helps to shore up his support which might have been a bit wobbly after the first ballot.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,503

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Woke isn't a thing. It's all made up. Massively exaggerated etc.

Tonight's hectoring at Waterloo station - taken on my phone.

It is strangely totalitarian.

You find yourself starting to criticise it (ie: is 'sexist hate' really only a male phenomenon?), but then you realise that the act of criticism is defined as an act of denial or oppression, so whatever you try and do, you can't win.

The only viable solution is actually just to shrug your shoulders and ignore it.
    Totalitarian? To have a poster suggesting that men could do something about stopping sexist hate? It’s not exactly Kristallnacht.
    I don't want to be hectored by a corporation on what I need to do as a man on my way to work and home again. It's sanctimonious and patronising.

The reason no-one says anything is they know the response would be: "if people don't want to buy a contract from an inclusive phone company then they are welcome to shop elsewhere".

So, people ignore it. And quietly simmer.

So, you’re saying because of your hurt feelings, we should do away with free speech?
    We can always choose Kemi Badenoch as PM as she will ban Ben and Jerrys ice-cream on grounds of wokeness. Focusing on the priorities, clearly.
    She didn't really say that, did she? Goodness me.
    No

"The right has lost its confidence and courage and ability to defend the free market as the fairest way of helping people prosper. It has been undermined by a willingness to embrace protectionism for special interests. It's been undermined by retreating in the face of the Ben and Jerry's tendency, those who say a business's main priority is social justice, not productivity and profits, and it's been undermined by the actions of crony capitalists, who collude with big bureaucracy to rig the system in favour of incumbents against entrepreneurs. "
    What right does she have to tell how private companies conduct their affairs?
    Not much, but it's fairly boilerplate as a American Republican talking point.

Doesn't really chime in the UK- heck we have a supermarket chain that is literally connected to a political organisation with Labour links.

Do wonder if the time Wikipedia claims she spent growing up in the US was more formative than she lets on.
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention (Red Wall):

LAB: 46% (=)
    CON: 32% (-3)
    LDM: 10% (+2)
    REF: 7% (+4)
    GRN: 4% (=)

via @RedfieldWilton, 11 Jul

(Changes with 27 Jun)

https://twitter.com/OprosUK/status/1547326936686395392
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Feck it. I'm calling this.

Penny Mordaunt will be the next Prime Minister of Great Britain and NI.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Hunt backing Sunak hurts TT more than it really helps Sunak.

Sunak is still hampered by the polling data. And that is more influential than Hunt.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

darkage said:

You find yourself starting to criticise it (ie: is 'sexist hate' really only a male phenomenon?), but then you realise that the act of criticism is defined as an act of denial or oppression, so whatever you try and do, you can't win.

The only viable solution is actually just to shrug your shoulders and ignore it.
    Totalitarian? To have a poster suggesting that men could do something about stopping sexist hate? It’s not exactly Kristallnacht.
    I don't want to be hectored by a corporation on what I need to do as a man on my way to work and home again. It's sanctimonious and patronising.

The reason no-one says anything is they know the response would be: "if people don't want to buy a contract from an inclusive phone company then they are welcome to shop elsewhere".

So, you’re saying because of your hurt feelings, we should do away with free speech?
    It's not "free speech". This isn't about denying an individual the ability to freely express their views without fear or censure: this is about a megacorporation exploiting its financial muscle to buy up a massive public space and scream it in your face every day, day in day out.

We've all agreed Steve Bray is a dickhead, and what he does can't just be defended with "free speech".

This is the corporate Steve Bray.
    Let's do a deal: nobody can say anything in public anyone disagrees with.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

Why is the right so sensitive?

Imagine getting uppity about an advert that is against sexism against women. Good grief.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Sean_F said:

darkage said:

My attitude towards companies peddling adverts of this nature, proclaiming their commitment to Pride, their concern for the environment, their support for equality and diversity is:

"the louder he spoke of his honour, the faster we counted our spoons."

You just know they'll be employing children in the Third World for a pittance, routing their profits through tax havens, and half their executives will have their hands up womens' skirts.

Exactly my kind of company: two faced double dealing bastards. Where do I sign up?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

IshmaelZ said:

OK, so I'm officially scared about conditions on Tuesday - my train from Kings Cross to Inverness departs at 12pm (I return on Friday evening).

12pm is meaningless. Midnight or midday? And why not do the sleeper, if you aren't?
    12pm i Ds midday 12am is midnight
    Both are ambiguous. Say 12 noon or 12 midnight. We used to schedule work for 5 to or 5 past twelve to avoid ambiguity as to which day is intended, since does midnight Sunday mean the start or end of that day? The 24-hour clock is not much better, with 00:00 and 24:00 being the same time but on which day?
    They are NOT ambiguous - 12pm has ALWAYS meant midday, and 12am has always meant midnight.
    Are you going to Wick Thurso and Kyle? If so enjoy it! 👍
    Hopefully, yes, and thanks! Got a seat booked on the Thurso/Wick train for Wednesday, and Kyle for Thursday.
    I can imagine you do need to book ahead to get a seat on those services. Standing room only at popular commuter times.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Tres said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

We can always choose Kemi Badenoch as PM as she will ban Ben and Jerrys ice-cream on grounds of wokeness. Focusing on the priorities, clearly.
    No

"The right has lost its confidence and courage and ability to defend the free market as the fairest way of helping people prosper. It has been undermined by a willingness to embrace protectionism for special interests. It's been undermined by retreating in the face of the Ben and Jerry's tendency, those who say a business's main priority is social justice, not productivity and profits, and it's been undermined by the actions of crony capitalists, who collude with big bureaucracy to rig the system in favour of incumbents against entrepreneurs. "
    A business has the right to determine what it's priorities are, does it not?
    Nah, Kemi has decided it's maximise shareholder return or bust.
    And about time too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited July 2022

Hunt backing Sunak is bad news for Mordaunt - and good news for Truss.

Sunak can’t win.

Will he take his supporters with him though?
  • Options

darkage said:

It's not the right, it's just these people, just like some weirdos on the left. Too much free time?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Approval Ratings:

Boris Johnson (CON): 31% (+6)
    Keir Starmer (LAB): 28% (=)

via @RedfieldWilton, 10 Jul

(Changes with 6 Jul)

Just think, if Keir agrees to stand down he too can become more popular.
    Imagine his numbers if he had stood down on a point of principle after getting an FPN....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

What an inspirational and dedicated man Mo Farah is.

He is the absolute best of our country, God bless him.

And no suspicion of drugs cheating ever, thank the lord.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

A business has the right to determine what it's priorities are, does it not?
    Of course not

I just said "No" to the the question about whether she had said "she will ban Ben and Jerrys ice-cream on grounds of wokeness" and quoted her to demonstrate that.

Where does she say "ban B&Js"?

Fair enough.
    I didn't make that assertion though.
  • Options
    Surprised at Hunt going to Sunak, I had him down as Mordaunt. Funny.

Of course Hunt doesn't have many votes to swing, and they may not all follow him, but it will be good news for Sunak on a day dominated by Mordaunt until now. This is still all to play for and too close to call after today, there's plausible paths now for four different people to make the final 2.

What there doesn't seem to be a plausible path towards is an acclamation. Today's showing was not remotely good enough for that.
  • Options

Sunak must be in a better position tonight with the Hunt endorsement. Of course it doesn’t mean that all his supporters will move over in one blob, but possibly helps to shore up his support which might have been a bit wobbly after the first ballot.

I don't think Hunt is a very helpful endorsement tbh. Kemi or even Bravermann would have helped him. Hunt not so much.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

OK, so I'm officially scared about conditions on Tuesday - my train from Kings Cross to Inverness departs at 12pm (I return on Friday evening).

12pm is meaningless. Midnight or midday? And why not do the sleeper, if you aren't?
    12pm is midday 12am is midnight
    Both are ambiguous. Say 12 noon or 12 midnight. We used to schedule work for 5 to or 5 past twelve to avoid ambiguity as to which day is intended, since does midnight Sunday mean the start or end of that day? The 24-hour clock is not much better, with 00:00 and 24:00 being the same time but on which day?
    12 noon is neither ante meridian nor post meridian. It is ... meridian.
    meridiem. Or rather meridies. meridians is lines of longitude.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

What an inspirational and dedicated man Mo Farah is.

He is the absolute best of our country, God bless him.

And no suspicion of drugs cheating ever, thank the lord.
    There were accusations about his coach but never him
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,824
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

So the heatwave has been downgraded…. Only to be upgraded

40C now forecast for Tuesday across parts of central, eastern England (as far north as Yorkshire)

That’s a mind-boggling temp. And now just 6 days away it is within the reasonably likely timeframe (tho it could still be derailed, natch)

You wonder if schools will be able to open in those temperatures. The appalling build quality - cramped, badly ventilated, too much glass and concrete - that was such a curse during Covid is not less of an issue in high temperatures.
    They’re not alone.

https://twitter.com/DougChapmanSNP/status/1547270996541014018
    Just been ejected from the HoC for not wearing a tie/jacket in the Chamber. It’s above 28C+ and a call was put out yesterday on the internal Parliament site regarding well-being during this heatwave. To cap it all, I signed and EDM on the Maximum Temperature in the Workplace.

Though some fool is proposing to spend £22bn on that…
    100% with the MP on this topic. Quite apart from the fact that making people boil to death for the sake of observing Edwardian period etiquette isn't really on, these dress codes are ludicrously sexist.
    I'm in favour of MPs being required to wear formal attire whilst in the Commons. I just think it's more professional, though I know some will disagree. However, any reasonable chair would apply any such rules in relaxed fashion during a period of such intense uncomfort.

But I find that story strange for another reason- Erskine May is clear a tie is not a requirement.

Members should dress in business-like attire; this need not include a tie.

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/4889/members-dress/?highlight=attire
    Erskine May is 1844.
    The tie was not ubiquitous then. Cravats and scarves were still about.
    Also. There weren't women in Parliament then.
    A dress code from 1844 is ludicrous. As is compulsory tie wearing. It's dying out, not before time.
    Erskine May has been reviewed and updated many times, my hard copy was the 24th edition and released during Bercow's tenure as Speaker, the most recent is from 2019.

I don't know why you are complaining about the rules though, the rules seem to be pretty clear a dress code from 1844 is not mandated - quite the opposite, it is clear 'Formerly it was the custom for gentlemen Members to wear jackets and ties, but this was not enforced in all circumstances'. And it absolutely says ties are not compulsory.

So this is another example where people are moaning about the rules or archaic customs, but neither are the cause here since they allow for circumstances where people do not have to wear jackets and ties.

Either there was another reason for the suspension, or whoever made the ruling was being an arse.
    So why has someone been ejected for not wearing one then?
    And why shouldn't they be able to wear what they want?
    They are the elected representatives. Not employees.
    To the first question, I have no idea - as I said, either something else is going on or the Chair was being an arse and has applied the rules incorrectly.

I mean, are you disputing that it is not in the rules that you have to wear a jacket and tie at all times? I linked to the rulebook and it is crystal clear about that

As for being able to wear whatever they want, that's obviously something MPs could agree to if they want.

But your point about representatives not employees is just dumb. Deliberative assemblies adopt rules, about interests, speaking, procedures, and yes, attire. The members have complete control and can review those procedures at any time, and do (for instance, they maintain people should not generally read a speech verbatim - though they do not enforce that rigorously - but its ok for people to use phones and tablets as an aide memoire). It's not unfair for an assembly to have procedural rules which representatives adhere to - they just need to keep it updated, and do. I think it has a good balance - you must be in business like attire, but it is flexible and should not be enforced in all circumstances (Jared O'Mara did not have to wear a shirt for instance, due to disability).

It's right there in black and white that you do not have to wear a tie - so if you want to have a rant about how wrong it is for rules to require a tie, I think you are looking in the wrong place. Someone applying the rules incorrectly doesn't magically make the rule the opposite of what it says.
    I'm not having a rant at all my friend. Just curious as to why they need rules on attire at all (beyond decency and legality)?
    People bang on about freedom of speech and expression, yet our elected representatives can't wear t-shirt and jeans, simply because a majority of their peers say so.
    Why?
    But it really isn't important at all in the scheme of things.
    That's your answer - it isn't massively important, so those who do want things to be formal win out, since they care more.

It's good we're past the days of morning suits and the like, but it's probably a rare assembly that doesn't have any rules about how representatives present themselves.

I mean, as you've noted there are reasons of decency for a start, so there's a line even in a more permissive setting (probably no wearing shorts without underwear, to distract those opposite like that episode of Friends), so it's a question of where you draw that line.

Just be glad Rees-Mogg isn't the one deciding things.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Hunt backing Sunak is in my view about squeezing out Liz. There must have been real worry this evening that Rishi was going to tank and we’d have a final two of PM vs Truss, with the risk of either Penny self destruct or members being silly.

Hunt has kept some momentum with Rishi, Penny has enough momentum out of today for the ball to be rolling fast down the hill.

Sunak vs Mordaunt. With the polls indicating PM wins, albeit no public hustings yet.
  • Options

darkage said:

It's not "free speech". This isn't about denying an individual the ability to freely express their views without fear or censure: this is about a megacorporation exploiting its financial muscle to buy up a massive public space and scream it in your face every day, day in day out.

We've all agreed Steve Bray is a dickhead, and what he does can't just be defended with "free speech".

Of course its free speech.

And so too is Steve Bray incidentally.

Even dickheads have a right to free speech.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

darkage said:

My attitude towards companies peddling adverts of this nature, proclaiming their commitment to Pride, their concern for the environment, their support for equality and diversity is:

You just know they'll be employing children in the Third World for a pittance, routing their profits through tax havens, and half their executives will have their hands up womens' skirts.

Exactly my kind of company: two faced double dealing bastards. Where do I sign up?
    Trafigura offer all of that, no ads required.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Of course Hunt doesn't have many votes to swing, and they may not all follow him, but it will be good news for Sunak on a day dominated by Mordaunt until now. This is still all to play for and too close to call after today, there's plausible paths now for four different people to make the final 2.

What there doesn't seem to be a plausible path towards is an acclamation. Today's showing was not remotely good enough for that.

Without that acclimation Sunak's bid is dead. It doesn't matter how far ahead he is with the MPs, if it goes to the membership he is toast.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

boulay said:

kle4 said:

Suppose Mordaunt wins. She offers Sunak a Cabinet job, but it's a demotion. Does he take it?
    I would have almost certainly said no, but given what ultimately happened to Hunt I think he might well do now. The King over the Water strategy doesn't seem to work.

He's had a meteoric rise in politics, a Chancellor before he was 40, and is richer than God - if he doesn't think he will remain at the top table will he stick around beyond the next election?

I cannot see another winner offering him the same job, they'll want an ally there, but if he's sensible he'd take a meaty mid level Cabinet position.

If they offer you DCMS you know they want to humiliate you. If they offer you Northern Ireland, you know they hate you.
    I would create a role for him - almost like an ambassador job - to liaise with tech companies etc globally to find ways to bring elements of the companies to the UK and work with the gov to find the best incentives to attract them whilst maximalising what the country gets out of them being here.

Best utilises his treasury experience. His investment experience, his global contacts and global outlook.

Make him go begging to Nick Clegg? You are a cruel man.
    Can't we make Boris something in the Metaverse? I wouldn't go for Ambassador - too risky.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

12pm is midday 12am is midnight
    They are NOT ambiguous - 12pm has ALWAYS meant midday, and 12am has always meant midnight.
    12 hours from now means now?

It's A View klaxon.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    edited July 2022

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Not quite. Banning Ben and Jerrys would at least mean Badenoch committing to some coherent outcome. Instead of which we get a stream of verbiage and soundbites:

I'm in no doubts about the scale of the challenge any new prime minister will have to deal with. The underlying economic problems we face have been exacerbated by Covid and by war. But what makes the situation worse is that the answers to our problems, conservative answers, haven't been articulated or delivered in a way appropriate to the modern age. We have been in the grip of an underlying economic, social, cultural and intellectual malaise. The right has lost its confidence and courage and ability to defend the free market as the fairest way of helping people prosper. It has been undermined by a willingness to embrace protectionism for special interests. It's been undermined by retreating in the face of the Ben and Jerry's tendency, those who say a business's main priority is social justice, not productivity and profits, and it's been undermined by the actions of crony capitalists, who collude with big bureaucracy to rig the system in favour of incumbents against entrepreneurs. The truth that limited government – doing less for better – is the best way to restore faith in government has been forgotten, as we've piled into pressure groups and caved in to every campaigner with a moving message. And that has made the government agenda into a shopping list of disconnected, unworkable and unsustainable policies.

This after saying she will tell the truth and will make tough choices! Badenoch offers only a void.

A massively unimpressive candidate.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165
    I think Sunak needs to try and get Truss to the membership to face him instead of Mordaunt. That's his best chance.
  • Options

Feck it. I'm calling this.

Penny Mordaunt will be the next Prime Minister of Great Britain and NI.

Gosh.
    The scale of that gamble hasn't been fully appreciated.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I don't think Hunt is a very helpful endorsement tbh. Kemi or even Bravermann would have helped him. Hunt not so much.
    Not sure what could turn it around for him. He's doing ok with MPs, and should get to the Members, so how to improve with them? Is there anything he can do?

Being a leaver hasn't stopped him being labelled as part of a remainer plot against the king, lots of remainers backing him won't help that, they probably want tax cuts and know he won't offer that, not to the extent or enthusiasm of others, and experience won't be a winning argument since he's still youthful and his likely opponents have been at Cabinte level, if not for long with Mordaunt.

A narrative has developed members don't like him. That sort of thing builds even among those who previously were only lukewarm.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

Given that said companies want to lecture me about how I conduct my affairs, I think you, I, and she have exactly that right.
    Why do you care so much? I just do not get it
    Because it’s unpleasant to be constantly hectored? Because being told you're a bad person is tiresome? Because living in the 2020s feels like being fed a constant tirade of identity politics?
    I suppose if you agree with the positions being put out you don't notice. If your initial reaction though is "well things are more complex than that" - it makes things exhausting.
    I come here for my dose of political debate. I don't want it everywhere. We used to be quite good at separating out the political from the non political.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

Doesn't really chime in the UK- heck we have a

supermarket chain that is literally connected to a political organisation with Labour links.

@RochdalePioneers !!

• Options
    Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

Given that said companies want to lecture me about how I conduct my affairs, I think you, I, and she have exactly that right.
    Why do you care so much? I just do not get it
    Because it’s unpleasant to be constantly hectored? Because being told you're a bad person is tiresome? Because living in the 2020s feels like being fed a constant tirade of identity politics?
    I suppose if you agree with the positions being put out you don't notice. If your initial reaction though is "well things are more complex than that" - it makes things exhausting.
    I come here for my dose of political debate. I don't want it everywhere. We used to be quite good at separating out the political from the non political.
    I think it is a lot more complicated than the BT sign says. I think BT is probably wrong/too simple.

But I don't, care...
  • Options
    edited July 2022

darkage said:

Imagine getting uppity about an advert that is against sexism against women. Good grief.
    Probably because they've lost every single public vote since 2005..
    Hang on.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

Not quite. Banning Ben and Jerrys would at least mean Badenoch committing to some coherent outcome. Instead of which we get a stream of verbiage and soundbites:

I'm in no doubts about the scale of the challenge any new prime minister will have to deal with. The underlying economic problems we face have been exacerbated by Covid and by war. But what makes the situation worse is that the answers to our problems, conservative answers, haven't been articulated or delivered in a way appropriate to the modern age. We have been in the grip of an underlying economic, social, cultural and intellectual malaise. The right has lost its confidence and courage and ability to defend the free market as the fairest way of helping people prosper. It has been undermined by a willingness to embrace protectionism for special interests. It's been undermined by retreating in the face of the Ben and Jerry's tendency, those who say a business's main priority is social justice, not productivity and profits, and it's been undermined by the actions of crony capitalists, who collude with big bureaucracy to rig the system in favour of incumbents against entrepreneurs. The truth that limited government – doing less for better – is the best way to restore faith in government has been forgotten, as we've piled into pressure groups and caved in to every campaigner with a moving message. And that has made the government agenda into a shopping list of disconnected, unworkable and unsustainable policies.

This after saying she will tell the truth and will make touch choices! Badenoch offers only a void.

There are a lot of people like Badenoch above whom I am huge fans of, but who had the common sense to stop after student politics and stick to making money or in a few cases writing for entertainment. I have to admit, part of me would be thrilled to see one in high office, if it's not just words.
  • Options
    I am saying it too, Penny will be PM. Go Penny!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak can’t win.

He couldn't get those who nominated him to vote for him

He has very little influence
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not sure what could turn it around for him. He's doing ok with MPs, and should get to the Members, so how to improve with them? Is there anything he can do?

Being a leaver hasn't stopped him being labelled as part of a remainer plot against the king, lots of remainers backing him won't help that, they probably want tax cuts and know he won't offer that, not to the extent or enthusiasm of others, and experience won't be a winning argument since he's still youthful and his likely opponents have been at Cabinte level, if not for long with Mordaunt.

A narrative has developed members don't like him. That sort of thing builds even among those who previously were only lukewarm.
    The only way I seem him winning with the members is to get a very considerable vote lead in the MPs votes and then many of the members choose to respect and follow the MPs guidance. Oh, and doing very well in the hustings.

Whether that can be pulled off? Not looking promising.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/alantravis40/status/1547328678463475712

One minister quoted in this FT profile of Penny Mordaunt: “I worked with her for five years and still feel like I don’t know what she believes or what she thinks.” Oh lord.

She is literally the Keir Starmer of the Tories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak can’t win.

How important do you think the TV debates will be? Will many of the public watch them? I suppose they could damage Penny if she performs badly and help one or more of the trailing pack?

It’s going to be sweltering hot, so I imagine TV audiences will be well down.
  • Options

It's going to the members and they will vote for PM.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

darkage said:

Just ban all advertising. I hate advertising full stop. It's all just lies, and we are exposed to it thousands of times a day until we are desensitised to it. Get rid of it all, then we can all be happy, left, right and everyone in between.
    Promote free speech by... banning advertising. Mmmm...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sunak can’t win.

He couldn't get those who nominated him to vote for him

He has very little influence
    I suspect he is after a job with Sunak, however I suspect most of his supporters will be looking to see which candidate is now best placed to stop Truss
  • Options

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

Doesn't really chime in the UK- heck we have a supermarket chain that is literally connected to a political organisation with Labour links.

Do wonder if the time Wikipedia claims she spent growing up in the US was more formative than she lets on.
    I feel like Ben and Jerrys was the red flag there. Perhaps I'm wrong, as I know they do sell their stuff in the UK, but it feels like a much more american brand to me, and surely there are some woke more British brands to moan about.

Is Ronseal 5 year wood stain now doing exactly as it says on the tin, whilst also standing up for trans rights or something?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

darkage said:

Steve Bray pretends that causing a public nuisance is free speech.

It is not. The right to protest should not extend to wrecking the lives of ordinary people going about their lawful business.

The man needs an ASBO. And if he ends up putting himself in prison by breaching the criminal or common law, so be it.

For me it's exactly the same argument as for the hypocritical numpties from Extinction Rebellion.
  • Options

One minister quoted in this FT profile of Penny Mordaunt: “I worked with her for five years and still feel like I don’t know what she believes or what she thinks.” Oh lord.

So you're a big fan then?
  • Options

Yup, I am. Penny for PM.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think Sunak needs to try and get Truss to the membership to face him instead of Mordaunt. That's his best chance.

In which case we likely get Truss as PM, which I fear guarantees a Labour majority at the next general election and Starmer PM. Probably would be an even worse defeat than keeping Boris would have led to
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

FF43 said:

darkage said:

No

Doesn't really chime in the UK- heck we have a

supermarket chain that is literally connected to a political organisation with Labour links.

@RochdalePioneers !!

Isn't the critique of crony capitalism bog standard Wealth of Nations ((c) A. Smith)? A bit one of the Thatcherite gurus edited out from a 1980s edition, as I recall dimly.
  • Options

That doesn't surprise me. She seems *very* guarded, and a bit sad (sad tragic, not uncool) . But still a woman of great ability.

Being honest, I'll be a bit disappointed when Kemi goes out of this race. But Penny will do great.
  • Options

As someone who suffered years of pain that the NHS caused and utterly failed to sort out, I am going to say something controversial:

I think homeopathy is mostly rubbish, but there is a place for it. Much healing is mental, and if someone thinks it works, then it may help their mood if nothing else.

But it should be complementary, not the only 'cure' (see Steve Jobs), and it probably should not be available on the NHS, unless there is nothing else the NHS can do.

When you are in pain, and the doctors can do nothing to help you, you will try anything. (note: I did not try homeopathy, but I wish I had if it had made me *feel* better).

Homeopathy is a very specific subset of alternative medicine. I don't know a huge amount about it, but I believe it entails taking small amount of the 'active' ingredient (I think a poison or a disease) and diluting it to a vast extent before administering it. Protesters against homeopathy have committed mass homeopathic suicide (taking an excess of the recommended dose) and nothing has happened. Therefore it appears to me thaf homeopathy is indeed mostly quackery, though you're correct to say that it can still be beneficial if you believe it.

By contrast, naturopathy is simply the belief that the chemicals you ingest each day (what we call food and drink) as well as other environmental factors, are going to have a huge impact on health. Which of course is entirely correct. I never know when someone is being accused of 'believing in homeopathy', whether they are being accused of the former, or the latter.
    Homeopathy is clearly bollocks.
    Yet it has worked for me in the past.
    As a teenager, I suffered from terrible hay-fever from late April through to September. Nothing seemed to alleviate it. My mum got me some homeopathic pills. I didn't know what homeopathy was - I guess I thought it just meant 'natural' - but they worked, and stopping taking them brought back the symptoms.
    I suppose what I was taking was a placebo, but a remarkably effective one.
  • Options
    MattW said:

darkage said:

It is not.

The man needs an ASBO.
    It is free speech. Nuisances are part of the price of free speech, if you take away dickheads free speech you can take away anyone else's too.

The law should not get involved in preventing speech that hurts people's feelings. Unless there's incitement to violence etc, its not or shouldn't be criminal behaviour.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    What if Penny becomes PM and we realise she is a vacuous non-entity?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    Selling more than a penny of Penny after her big shortening of odds not looking quite such a smart move at the moment - I thought the market had overreacted to the YouGov poll, but maybe it was me who underreacted. And yet... I could buy back at little more than the price I sold at, but something is stopping me. Mordaunt may yet have skeletons in the closet or do something silly or the big beasts may have some dirt up their sleeves. She still looks a bit short to me. I may well be wrong.
  • Options

We hope a non-entity will at least do less damage.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

darkage said:

Just ban all advertising. I hate advertising full stop. It's all just lies, and we are exposed to it thousands of times a day until we are desensitised to it. Get rid of it all, then we can all be happy, left, right and everyone in between.
    And as for Waterloo, each train will now need to be inspected before boarding by those who object to (alleged) wokism:

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/news-and-media/news/2020/june/swr-launches-new-trainbow-to-mark-pride-month
  • Options
    Cookie said:

As someone who suffered years of pain that the NHS caused and utterly failed to sort out, I am going to say something controversial:

I think homeopathy is mostly rubbish, but there is a place for it. Much healing is mental, and if someone thinks it works, then it may help their mood if nothing else.

But it should be complementary, not the only 'cure' (see Steve Jobs), and it probably should not be available on the NHS, unless there is nothing else the NHS can do.

When you are in pain, and the doctors can do nothing to help you, you will try anything. (note: I did not try homeopathy, but I wish I had if it had made me *feel* better).

Homeopathy is a very specific subset of alternative medicine. I don't know a huge amount about it, but I believe it entails taking small amount of the 'active' ingredient (I think a poison or a disease) and diluting it to a vast extent before administering it. Protesters against homeopathy have committed mass homeopathic suicide (taking an excess of the recommended dose) and nothing has happened. Therefore it appears to me thaf homeopathy is indeed mostly quackery, though you're correct to say that it can still be beneficial if you believe it.

By contrast, naturopathy is simply the belief that the chemicals you ingest each day (what we call food and drink) as well as other environmental factors, are going to have a huge impact on health. Which of course is entirely correct. I never know when someone is being accused of 'believing in homeopathy', whether they are being accused of the former, or the latter.
    Homeopathy is clearly bollocks.
    Yet it has worked for me in the past.
    As a teenager, I suffered from terrible hay-fever from late April through to September. Nothing seemed to alleviate it. My mum got me some homeopathic pills. I didn't know what homeopathy was - I guess I thought it just meant 'natural' - but they worked, and stopping taking them brought back the symptoms.
    I suppose what I was taking was a placebo, but a remarkably effective one.
    The mind and body are very powerful.

There was a study a few years ago with diet pills.

They gave one set of people diet pills and the other sugar pills.

The people with sugar pills lost more weight.
  • Options

Fans if vacuous non-entities will be spiiled at the next election?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

So the heatwave has been downgraded…. Only to be upgraded

40C now forecast for Tuesday across parts of central, eastern England (as far north as Yorkshire)

That’s a mind-boggling temp. And now just 6 days away it is within the reasonably likely timeframe (tho it could still be derailed, natch)

You wonder if schools will be able to open in those temperatures. The appalling build quality - cramped, badly ventilated, too much glass and concrete - that was such a curse during Covid is not less of an issue in high temperatures.
    They’re not alone.

https://twitter.com/DougChapmanSNP/status/1547270996541014018
    Just been ejected from the HoC for not wearing a tie/jacket in the Chamber. It’s above 28C+ and a call was put out yesterday on the internal Parliament site regarding well-being during this heatwave. To cap it all, I signed and EDM on the Maximum Temperature in the Workplace.

Though some fool is proposing to spend £22bn on that…
    100% with the MP on this topic. Quite apart from the fact that making people boil to death for the sake of observing Edwardian period etiquette isn't really on, these dress codes are ludicrously sexist.
    I'm in favour of MPs being required to wear formal attire whilst in the Commons. I just think it's more professional, though I know some will disagree. However, any reasonable chair would apply any such rules in relaxed fashion during a period of such intense uncomfort.

But I find that story strange for another reason- Erskine May is clear a tie is not a requirement.

Members should dress in business-like attire; this need not include a tie.

https://erskinemay.parliament.uk/section/4889/members-dress/?highlight=attire
    Erskine May is 1844.
    The tie was not ubiquitous then. Cravats and scarves were still about.
    Also. There weren't women in Parliament then.
    A dress code from 1844 is ludicrous. As is compulsory tie wearing. It's dying out, not before time.
    Erskine May has been reviewed and updated many times, my hard copy was the 24th edition and released during Bercow's tenure as Speaker, the most recent is from 2019.

I don't know why you are complaining about the rules though, the rules seem to be pretty clear a dress code from 1844 is not mandated - quite the opposite, it is clear 'Formerly it was the custom for gentlemen Members to wear jackets and ties, but this was not enforced in all circumstances'. And it absolutely says ties are not compulsory.

So this is another example where people are moaning about the rules or archaic customs, but neither are the cause here since they allow for circumstances where people do not have to wear jackets and ties.

Either there was another reason for the suspension, or whoever made the ruling was being an arse.
    So why has someone been ejected for not wearing one then?
    And why shouldn't they be able to wear what they want?
    They are the elected representatives. Not employees.
    To the first question, I have no idea - as I said, either something else is going on or the Chair was being an arse and has applied the rules incorrectly.

I mean, are you disputing that it is not in the rules that you have to wear a jacket and tie at all times? I linked to the rulebook and it is crystal clear about that

As for being able to wear whatever they want, that's obviously something MPs could agree to if they want.

But your point about representatives not employees is just dumb. Deliberative assemblies adopt rules, about interests, speaking, procedures, and yes, attire. The members have complete control and can review those procedures at any time, and do (for instance, they maintain people should not generally read a speech verbatim - though they do not enforce that rigorously - but its ok for people to use phones and tablets as an aide memoire). It's not unfair for an assembly to have procedural rules which representatives adhere to - they just need to keep it updated, and do. I think it has a good balance - you must be in business like attire, but it is flexible and should not be enforced in all circumstances (Jared O'Mara did not have to wear a shirt for instance, due to disability).

It's right there in black and white that you do not have to wear a tie - so if you want to have a rant about how wrong it is for rules to require a tie, I think you are looking in the wrong place. Someone applying the rules incorrectly doesn't magically make the rule the opposite of what it says.
    I'm not having a rant at all my friend. Just curious as to why they need rules on attire at all (beyond decency and legality)?
    People bang on about freedom of speech and expression, yet our elected representatives can't wear t-shirt and jeans, simply because a majority of their peers say so.
    Why?
    But it really isn't important at all in the scheme of things.
    That's your answer - it isn't massively important, so those who do want things to be formal win out, since they care more.

It's good we're past the days of morning suits and the like, but it's probably a rare assembly that doesn't have any rules about how representatives present themselves. I mean, as you've noted there are reasons of decency for a start, so there's a line even in a more permissive setting (probably no wearing shorts without underwear, to distract those opposite like that episode of Friends), so it's a question of where you draw that line.
    Just be glad Rees-Mogg isn't the one deciding

things.
    moonshine said:

Hunt backing Sunak is in my view about squeezing out Liz. There must have been real worry this evening that Rishi was going to tank and we’d have a final two of PM vs Truss, with the risk of either Penny self destruct or members being silly.

Hunt has kept some momentum with Rishi, Penny has enough momentum out of today for the ball to be rolling fast down the hill.

Sunak vs Mordaunt. With the polls indicating PM wins, albeit no public hustings yet.

Yes, a strategic gambit by the moderates. But will it work?
  • Options

Her taste in wallpaper will be hotly debated?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    I'm hoping it's one of those promoting a reduced-size Civil Service as a severance package would enhance my retirement plan.
  • Options

Without that acclimation Sunak's bid is dead. It doesn't matter how far ahead he is with the MPs, if it goes to the membership he is toast.
    Absolutely right.

The next prime minister, short of a complete meltdown in the runoff, is either Liz Truss, Penny Mordaunt or Kemi Bandenoch.

The question is whether Rishi makes the runoff and if so who gets the free pass to the leadership by being there with him.
  • Options
    Interesting. Do I detect a bit of race bias in the Conservative members polled? Who'da thunk it, eh?

• Options
    EPG said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

darkage said:

This after saying she will tell the truth and will make touch choices! Badenoch offers only a void.

There are a lot of people like Badenoch above whom I am huge fans of, but who had the common sense to stop after student politics and stick to making money or in a few cases writing for entertainment. I have to admit, part of me would be thrilled to see one in high office, if it's not just words.
    So you might choose a leader because their ideas excite you; they have a programme you want to see implemented; they have a track record of getting things done; or because they are a safe pair of hands and good in a crisis. Badenoch is a void. She doesn't offer anything.
  • Options
    If Penny is a non-entity, she will gracefully take the Tories into opposition, the Tories go back to being sensible and we'll all benefit. It's a win-win for her to take over
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455

darkage said:

So boycott them (whoever it was, I didn't view a big image). If the silent majority are big enough then they'll pick up that such campaigns hurt sales and ditch them. It really is the only way to change behaviour if you find it troubling.

(For me, this would neither make me more or less likely to buy. It's an irrelevance. It's just advertising afterall, ACMEcorp might be horribly sexist but running ads like this)
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

BIG BROTHER IS JUDGING YOU

Everywhere. I loathe it

If I move out of the UK, and that looks increasingly possible, Woke will be a major reason
    What woke things actually have any impact on your life in any material way? I loath this sort of stuff, but rarely come across it. The occasions I come across it I think 'pillocks' and move on.
    I really don't like the way secondary schools appear to be proposing to indoctrinate my daughters with values which in some cases seek to be getting pretty close to CRT. That's a specific example.
  • Options
    Mordaunt could turn out to be a vacuous non-entity. She could be a lot worse than that.
    She could be great.
    We simply don't know.
    Has she ever done a long interview with a serious interviewer?
    It's a huge gamble.
  • Options

MattW said:

darkage said:

It is not.

The man needs an ASBO.
    It is free speech. Nuisances are part of the price of free speech, if you take away dickheads free speech you can take away anyone else's too.

The law should not get involved in preventing speech that hurts people's feelings. Unless there's incitement to violence etc, its not or shouldn't be criminal behaviour.
    I disagree. It is not free speech. It is a nuisance.

Breaching the Peace is criminal behaviour (yes, we can argue about technicalities).

Steve Bray does not need an amplified public address system interfering with people trying to do their normal jobs in adjacent office buildings. Him being silent holding a sign is a protest, without interfering with other people.

Take away the nuisance, and he can still protest.
  • Options
    While I clearly think that homeopathy is bullshit quackery, I do think it's probably one of the best ways of "treating" people with no discernible ailments, but lots of complaints.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

darkage said:

So boycott them (whoever it was, I didn't view a big image). If the silent majority are big enough then they'll pick up that such campaigns hurt sales and ditch them. It really is the only way to change behaviour if you find it troubling.

(For me, this would neither make me more or less likely to buy. It's an irrelevance. It's just advertising afterall, ACMEcorp might be horribly sexist but running ads like this)
    Are you old enough to remember the looong stream of female underwear ads on the London Underground? It was like being trapped in the lingerie part of one of those mail order catalogues. The current ad is at least a change.
  • Options

That doesn't surprise me. She seems *very* guarded, and a bit sad (sad tragic, not uncool) . But still a woman of great ability.

Being honest, I'll be a bit disappointed when Kemi goes out of this race. But Penny will do great.
    No one has any idea what Johnson believes in other than himself.

So, worse case is we are no worse off and perhaps PM wont lie as much or be so corrupt with the old cronies and old mates links?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412

darkage said:

I think he's saying the Government should regulate what private enterprises do so he doesn't have to look at ads he doesn't like in Waterloo Station. Very authoritarian
    What's clever about it is the way it sort of gets the Left to defend private enterprise.

Wokescreening. It's actually quite clever.

Divisive of course, and socially damaging, but clever.
  • Options

Yup, I am. Penny for PM.
    Only PB can tell you the future in the way we do.

• Options

While I clearly think that homeopathy is bullshit quackery, I do think it's probably one of the best ways of "treating" people with no discernible ailments, but lots of complaints.

Be handy on here then.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Carnyx said:

darkage said:

And as for Waterloo, each train will now need to be inspected before boarding by those who object to (alleged) wokism:

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/other/news-and-media/news/2020/june/swr-launches-new-trainbow-to-mark-pride-month
    From the top-deck of a bus, saw a brand new Class 701 in SWR colours at Ilford Depot today.
  • Options

It's going to the members and they will vote for PM.

Don't rule out some dirty tricks. E.g. someone spills the beans on one of the two final candidates so that the other one has to withdraw.

I could see Johnson's team doing that to ensure Truss gets it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Interesting. Do I detect a bit of race bias in the Conservative members polled? Who'da thunk it, eh?

You mean because the white men are the least popular?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441
    Tomorrows Papers giving Mordant the Big Mo. 😁

She looks very “fresh” with her hair style makeover - shorter, lighter and more lob like, which gets my thumbs up - the extra slap on her face, and big beaming smile from her fine result.
  • Options
    EPG said:

darkage said:

Sigh, that's not the issue with Steve Bray. And you know it's not.

Why does this always go reducto ad absurdium?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

MattW said:

darkage said:

It is not.

The man needs an ASBO.

I suppose this touches on a more general point that I have long believed.

'Freedoms' such as freedom of speech and 'rights' should apply to people not organisations. It is one of the great failings of corporatism - more so in the US than in the UK but still bad here - that we allow companies and corporations to claim the same rights as apply to individuals under the law.

I don't believe this has to be the case, or do I believe it should be the case. Freedoms and rights should apply to individuals, not to corporate entities.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Mordaunt could turn out to be a vacuous non-entity. She could be a lot worse than that.
    She could be great.
    We simply don't know.
    It's a huge gamble.

I think we do know. Mordaunt has been a minister for 8 years in several departments. She achieved essentially nothing in any of them and was responsible for a number of medium sized blow-ups. Not a great track record, but she was also slightly unlucky - unfair that she should be sacked as Defence Sec after just 3 months when her predecessor was Gavin WIlliamson who managed to last two years.

But she is personable. If I were a Conservative Party member looking for a campaigner, I could do worse than Penny Mordaunt. And would do worse if I chose almost any of the alternatives.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

She could be great.
    We simply don't know.
    It's a huge gamble.

There’s a seven week campaign ahead of her. Admittedly it’s taking place in the middle of summer when lots of the public are away, but you’d expect her and the other finalist to be grilled several times.
  • Options

darkage said:

I think he's saying the Government should regulate what private enterprises do so he doesn't have to look at ads he doesn't like in Waterloo Station. Very authoritarian
    What's clever about it is the way it sort of gets the Left to defend private enterprise.

Wokescreening. It's actually quite clever.

Divisive of course, and socially damaging, but clever.
    We're finished.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

If Penny is a non-entity, she will gracefully take the Tories into opposition, the Tories go back to being sensible and we'll all benefit. It's a win-win for her to take over

Pretty fair analysis there CHB. I certainly think we see a different style of government with Penny (assuming she wins) and that hopefully lends itself to a better standard of political discourse than we have had in recent times.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,063

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

I understand why Labour supporters are having some fun with the Tories' choices, but their last three selections didn't make hearts leap with joy.

Starmer is passibly competent when presented with an open goal but struggles otherwise. Five out of ten. Jeremy Corbyn was a joke, designed to implode at the first opportunity. Zero out of ten, and that's being kind. Ed Milliband. Couldn't eat a sausage roll on his own, and they probably mixed up his Christian name. But forever engraved on my heart for stuffing my mouth with gold by massively inflating the payments for solar panels. Just when I received my retirement lump sum. Three out of ten for that alone.

In fact, their last decent choice was Neil Kinnock.

You , like a lot of people, underestimate Starmer. Against the odds he saw of Corbyn and his persistence over party gate was instrumental in seeing off Boris.
    Corbyn saw himself off by being an anti-Semitic fool, and the country realising it in 2019 (and against Boris!). Starmer 'saw him off' by bravely remaining in cabinet with him.

That's not exactly 'seeing him off', is it?
    If Starmer hadn't served under Corbyn, he wouldn't have been able to win the leadership and then destroy the left from the inside.

Anyone sane can see that was a good decision.
    Somewhere, Jeremy Hunt is nodding in agreement as he weeps with frustrated ambition...
    Hunt is sensible and not a moron - therefore he has no place in today's Tory party
    Starmer is sensible and not an anti-Semite - therefore his place was at Corbyn’s side.

Double standards much?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

darkage said:

From the top-deck of a bus, saw a brand new Class 701 in SWR colours at Ilford Depot today.
    No wonder the SWR service is so bad if one of their trains is over in Ilford!
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

darkage said:

It is not.

The man needs an ASBO.

I disagree. It is not free speech. It is a nuisance.

Breaching the Peace is criminal behaviour (yes, we can argue about technicalities).

Steve Bray does not need an amplified public address system interfering with people trying to do their normal jobs in adjacent office buildings. Him being silent holding a sign is a protest, without interfering with other people.

Take away the nuisance, and he can still protest.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    EPG said:

darkage said:

Do have anything to say that bears on the question in debate?

• Options

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

I understand why Labour supporters are having some fun with the Tories' choices, but their last three selections didn't make hearts leap with joy.

Starmer is passibly competent when presented with an open goal but struggles otherwise. Five out of ten. Jeremy Corbyn was a joke, designed to implode at the first opportunity. Zero out of ten, and that's being kind. Ed Milliband. Couldn't eat a sausage roll on his own, and they probably mixed up his Christian name. But forever engraved on my heart for stuffing my mouth with gold by massively inflating the payments for solar panels. Just when I received my retirement lump sum. Three out of ten for that alone.

You , like a lot of people, underestimate Starmer. Against the odds he saw of Corbyn and his persistence over party gate was instrumental in seeing off Boris.
    Corbyn saw himself off by being an anti-Semitic fool, and the country realising it in 2019 (and against Boris!). Starmer 'saw him off' by bravely remaining in cabinet with him.

If Starmer hadn't served under Corbyn, he wouldn't have been able to win the leadership and then destroy the left from the inside.

Somewhere, Jeremy Hunt is nodding in agreement as he weeps with frustrated ambition...
    Hunt is sensible and not a moron - therefore he has no place in today's Tory party
    Starmer is sensible and not an anti-Semite - therefore his place was at Corbyn’s side.

Double standards much?
    He threw Corbyn out of the party. And like I said without being in the cabinet he'd never have been able to do that, or do you think RLB would?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think those with an eye on serious political office do what they can to avoid such nowadays.

Now I think about it, I'm not really clear how any of them are expected to prepare for high office. They'll be someone's bag carrier for a bit, then anonymous as a junior minister somewhere where you might have to do a short set of questions sometimes if the department has cocked up, but not being questioned by anyone seems the intention.

Then if you make it to the top you'll discover if you have an inherent talent for it. You had better hope so.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

darkage said:

Oh I will. I absolutely will.

And it did hurt Gillette. They were unrepentant, I think, because the religion is now stronger than the bottom line.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Double standards much?
    He threw Corbyn out of the party. And like I said without being in the cabinet he'd never have been able to do that, or do you think RLB would?
    Pedant's note, Corbyn has been unsuspended from the party, I believe, though Starmer will not let him back in the group.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,063
    algarkirk said:

Is there not loads of evidence for the placebo effect? Things that aren't true work only if you believe them and all that. (Like atheism works for Dawkins).

The NHS regularly prescribes placebo (sugar pills). I have no issue with them prescribing homeopathic treatments. But NICE should reimburse them at the same price as placebo.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Tomorrows Papers giving Mordant the Big Mo. 😁

She looks very “fresh” with her hair style makeover - shorter, lighter and more lob like, which gets my thumbs up - the extra slap on her face, and big beaming smile from her fine result.

She's the Catherine Deneuve of British politics.

• Options

Er, just you?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

darkage said:

Trafigura offer all of that, no ads required.
    Bah - if I want to mess around with dodgy commodity traders, then I want to work with proper dodgy commodity traders like Glencore.
This discussion has been closed.