Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the betting markets reacted to the 1st round result – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

Can somebody explain the poll which shows Starmer beating Penny by 15 points, this seems totally out of step

While they're at it, can they also explain the one with "Keir" beating "Mordaunt" by the same margin.

I know that many PB Tories have taken to calling her "Penny" but you don't have to, no more than you had to call Corbyn "Jeremy".

Personally I just use surnames across the board.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Hunt played it wrong when he turned down Foreign Sec under Boris. His branding as the sensible alternative would have been stronger than outside of cabinet, where he has become yesterday’s man. A shame as his Twitter just gave a pretty gracious statement.

As far as I can see, there’s definitely enough votes in the mix for one of Truss, Braverman and Badenoch to make the final two, unless PM picks up more of their transfers than you’d think.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

I do understand the appeal of Kemi Badenoch. However, if I were a Tory, I'd be concerned that she has the backing of Toby Young and Laurence Fox - not Tories, I know, but pretty extreme in their views. Labour will have noted this, just in case.

Mind you, Truss having the backing of Nadsy and Moggsy isn't much better.

It's the candidate who matters, not who supports them.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

I want it to be Sunak v Badenoch, just to see if Jolyon's head would explode.

I'm fully expecting him to call them Uncle Toms and/or say that they really aren't BAME because they've never experienced racism.
    It will be an entirely racist phenomenon: all votes will be implicitly anti African or anti Indian.
    Indeed, or they'll get labelled coconuts/choc ices, something I've been called myself.
    I believe Oreo is another term used in some quarters

Really unpleasant to have to deal with people with such hate driven attitudes
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

Can somebody explain the poll which shows Starmer beating Penny by 15 points, this seems totally out of step

Name recognition.

On a net approval basis the Sunday Times had Mordaunt well ahead of Starmer and Davey in the blue wall seats, although Starmer led all Tory candidates in the red wall seats
    Poll link?
    See last Sunday’s Sunday Times
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

While they're at it, can they also explain the one with "Keir" beating "Mordaunt" by the same margin.

I know that many PB Tories have taken to calling her "Penny" but you don't have to, no more than you had to call Corbyn "Jeremy".

I use what I can spell. I was off sick when they done spelling in school 🤭
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

I do understand the appeal of Kemi Badenoch. However, if I were a Tory, I'd be concerned that she has the backing of Toby Young and Laurence Fox - not Tories, I know, but pretty extreme in their views. Labour will have noted this, just in case.

Which is why neither should get it. Truss has sold her soul to the right of the party. She is as dishonest as Johnson, and I fear could be just as incompetent. The Tory Party needs someone that can unify after all the years of populist bollox
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Good post, Phil.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

... says the poster with two firstnames for a handle.
  • Options

Ideal situation here is transfers from Hunt and Zahawi go Mordaunt, Sue Ellen drops out and backs Kemi and they squeeze Truss and Sunak out

So the Tories putting out a very fresh start, but inexperienced line up?

Is that how it really works though, from here?

It actually gets tribal and bitchy into the next phases doesn’t it?
    I think Truss will be offering the moon to Suella and Kemi to try and stitch up a right wing final 2 for her
    Could end up Truss vs whomever of Rishi and Penny is transfer friendly
    I agree Woolie. Truss top by about 15, Sunak and Penny very close to each other for the member vote.
    I am not certain that Truss is going to impress in hustings and may look weaker as a result.

She has underperformed today. She doesn't have momentum so why would people fold for her?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

We could call then Mr Starmer and Ms Mordaunt too.

Though as a knight I think we're supposed to call Starmer by his first name.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Which is why neither should get it. Truss has sold her soul to the right of the party. She is as dishonest as Johnson, and I fear could be just as incompetent. The Tory Party needs someone that can unify after all the years of populist bollox
    Absolutely this
  • Options
    edited July 2022

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1547261966032453637

Wow! I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water. #ToryLeadershipRace

hmmmm

If most Hunt votes go to Tugendhat and Sunak and most Zahawi votes go to Mordaunt and Sunak that rather ends that strategy
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’ll be great again to a Tory Prime Minister who listens to my every word.

Perhaps she'll be put off by your smutty sense of humour...
    I have a feeling she might like it. The humour that is. Ooh er....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    moonshine said:

Hunt played it wrong when he turned down Foreign Sec under Boris. His branding as the sensible alternative would have been stronger than outside of cabinet, where he has become yesterday’s man. A shame as his Twitter just gave a pretty gracious statement.

As far as I can see, there’s definitely enough votes in the mix for one of Truss, Braverman and Badenoch to make the final two, unless PM picks up more of their transfers than you’d think.

Hunt turned down being Defence Secretary.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    It serms very unlikely we will get a runaway winner in the final 3, certainly not of half the MPs i think so it seems certain we proceed to a vote of members
  • Options

Wow! I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water. #ToryLeadershipRace

hmmmm

What will Truss offer Braverman and Badenoch? 🤔 Home Secretary for Braverman? Which office is suitable for Badenoch? Education? She is so much like Gove, and he was there.
    I hope Truss sticks to talking about cheese rather than being in the position to offer too cabinet roles
    She’s in that position tonight.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Why would that make his head explode?
    He thinks Sunak is too brown to lead the Tories
    I don't think that represents his position at all. He did a pretty thoughtful thread about that tweet. Did you read it?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Deleted.
  • Options

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

His comment earlier about the tories choosing two “white” people
    Sorry, which comment?
    Are you referring to the question he put to Sunak about whether the membership is "ready to select a brown man"?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think that represents his position at all. He did a pretty thoughtful thread about that tweet. Did you read it?
    Only after he took down his first tweet which he obviously thought sounded a bit racist. And that's me being very generous.

I too like to carefully explain my position after I make a damn fool of myself.
  • Options
    PaulSimon said:

Truss, Braverman and Badenoch need to stitch up some sort of deal pronto if they want a right wing candidate in the final two.

I know its right wing in the tory context, but pretty sure most people would think they are all pretty right wing regardless.

Honestly, given Sunak seems to have been given the remainer label despite being a longstanding leaver, and none of them seem very divergent on policy, I don't know how they decide some ones are more right wing than the others.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Wow! I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water.

The problem is I don’t think they’re one homogenous blob. Liz Truss is running on the experienced cabinet minister/Brexiteer shtick. Kemi isn’t noticeably talking about Brexit at all and is running on the fresh face/time for a change angle.

You could quite easily see transfers from Kemi to Penny, for instance.
    No. I can’t. I see it as more tribal than that in terms of the votes supporting them.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hm. Is that what people on here said when Corbyn backed RLB for Labour leader? Don't think so.
  • Options

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

What he'd claim is that the Tories did not trust their members to select a non-white person, so they gave them no option.
  • Options

I use what I can spell. I was off sick when they done spelling in school 🤭
    That's why I got into trouble with my statement that "Hunt has made the cut" yesterday. That said I couldn't understand why anyone got offended by the word "hut"
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Andy_JS said:

This type of thing isn't going to matter in reality. Few in the real world know who Laurence Fox or Toby Young are. It's only going increase the outrage amongst left wing people on Twitter, who wouldn't vote for Badenoch anyway.

• Options
    Truss Badenoch Braverman combining is unlikely theres 18 votes between them, with xfers to come they are all perfectly reasonably expectant of being the top dog of the 3 of them, why would any stand aside for the others?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

To a degree. Awful people will likely end up backing decemt people sometimes.

But having the backing of those two, and the possibility they will be rewarded with Cabinet posts for it, is a very bad sign.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Putin appeasing quisling post: I have just discovered that Tarkovsky's Stalker is available in full, with subtitles, for free, on mosfilm's youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hBLv-HLEc&ab_channel=Mosfilm

as are things like battleship Potemkin.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

It serms very unlikely we will get a runaway winner in the final 3, certainly not of half the MPs i think so it seems certain we proceed to a vote of members

Eh? Unless the other candidates withdraw the rules mean they must go to the members (that might be what you meant)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Andy_JS said:

How come Jeremy Hunt got less votes than the 20 nominations?

Pity fucks.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

biggles said:

eek said:

Just thinking for 2 seconds.

Did Boris imply that today was likely to his last PMQs

And that there would be a vote of no Confidence on Monday.

Is he planning something that allows him to call an election on Tuesday?

Surely not
    He’s overseas next week apparently and then It’s Recess. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..

What Boris said was: "the next leader of my party may be elected by acclamation, so it is possible that this will be our last confrontation over this Dispatch Box."
    Unless this was cover for his already knowing he’s going to be abroad on another feelgood visit to Ukraine?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited July 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Are you referring to the question he put to Sunak about whether the membership is "ready to select a brown man"?
    Essentially -

“Despite an ethnically diverse list of candidates, including the impressive Sunak, the top two amongst the Conservative selectorate - Mordaunt and Truss - are both white.

So I ask, again: are members of the Conservative Party ready to select a Brown person as leader?”

Which is a shame, as I think quite clearly the Tories would or could choose someone from that background
  • Options

hmmmm

What will Truss offer Braverman and Badenoch? 🤔 Home Secretary for Braverman? Which office is suitable for Badenoch? Education? She is so much like Gove, and he was there.
    I hope Truss sticks to talking about cheese rather than being in the position to offer too cabinet roles
    She’s in that position tonight.
    I think Truss, and most of the rest of the cabinet that turned a blind eye to the antics of the idiot they supported to be PM, should take a one way trip to the backbenches
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially - Despite an ethnically diverse list of candidates, including the impressive Sunak, the top two amongst the Conservative selectorate - Mordaunt and Truss - are both white.

So I ask, again: are members of the Conservative Party ready to select a Brown person as leader?
    Does it...matter?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

moonshine said:

Hunt turned down being Defence Secretary.
    Ah yes my apologies. Same same.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    glw said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Only after he took down his first tweet which he obviously thought sounded a bit racist. And that's me being very generous.

He then spent ages basically saying 'I was right' and 'only white people complained about it, Tory white people who are in a racist party'. And blocked some non-white commentators who disagreed with him.

So his more thoughtful clarification was clearly a load of bollocks - he meant what it appeared he meant, temporarily realised it looked bad and took it down, but regretted having done so.

I also go to my standard rule that if someone is meant to be a good communicator, I don't buy that they made such a hash of their intended point.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

And the next is now very likely to be a woman.

I think the pressure on labour to eventually replace Keir with a woman will be overwhelming.

Betting tip:

Lay all the men in the next labour leader market. Close to free money.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453

Wow! I am picking up pressure tonight from ERG sources for Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Kemi Badenoch to merge campaigns and blow Rishi Sunak and Penny Mordaunt out of the water.

The problem is I don’t think they’re one homogenous blob. Liz Truss is running on the experienced cabinet minister/Brexiteer shtick. Kemi isn’t noticeably talking about Brexit at all and is running on the fresh face/time for a change angle.

You could quite easily see transfers from Kemi to Penny, for instance.
    No. I can’t. I see it as more tribal than that in terms of the votes supporting them.
    That’s not particularly borne out in previous leadership votes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially -

“Despite an ethnically diverse list of candidates, including the impressive Sunak, the top two amongst the Conservative selectorate - Mordaunt and Truss - are both white.

So I ask, again: are members of the Conservative Party ready to select a Brown person as leader?”

Which is a shame, as I think quite clearly the Tories would or could choose someone from that background
    Given the two previous female leaders of the party were both deposed by the parliamentary party despite neither having lost an election, I wonder why some of the current candidates are bothering.
  • Options
    ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

I think the pressure on labour to eventually replace Keir with a woman will be overwhelming.

Betting tip:

Utter nonsense.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially - Despite an ethnically diverse list of candidates, including the impressive Sunak, the top two amongst the Conservative selectorate - Mordaunt and Truss - are both white.

So I ask, again: are members of the Conservative Party ready to select a Brown person as leader?
    Does it...matter?
    No it shouldn't. . The answer to the question is "if they are better, yes, but if they are worse no". IMO they are not better. Sunak is a lightweight who propped up the worst PM in history. The other two non white candidates are too inexperienced with one, and too in hoc with the right wing with the other
  • Options
    ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

The labour selection process can’t be rigged by MPs or the Executive, the long list goes to members.
  • Options

Eh? Unless the other candidates withdraw the rules mean they must go to the members (that might be what you meant)
    Yes i meant unlikely we will get (say) Sunak 200, Mordaunt 78 Truss 75 and they both withdraw as the bulk are behind Sunak........
    More likely we get 123 122 121 or some such nonsense! An IDS Clarke Portillo result
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially -

Why do Black and Brown people get Jolyon capitals, but white people don't?

It's fucking weird
  • Options
    And yet only getting that many will make whoever is up agaisnt him red hot favourite.

IMO it will be very hard to keep Sunak out of the final 2. He only needs 20 transfers cumulative from ALL the rounds (including this one) to get 30% of the MPs' vote, which would have been enough in any of the 3 previous contested elections under the current rules. 32 and he's in

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1547253592695898113?cxt=HHwWgoCwoby8-fgqAAAA
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    edited July 2022
    Everyone in a position to vote for Mordaunt as PM has seen things to suggest that she is good banter or (ugh) saucy. About 85% of voters will first encounter her as PM, two pay grades higher than her most senior full-time appointment, dealing with stubborn inflation and an unsympathetic world stage. Plus she is running away from her own record in a manner that suggests she is bringing in weak priors on how to govern. An empty vessel for others' desires like Sunak? I'd want to know who will be advising her before giving her the job.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    glw said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And did you see the supportive tweets he got from people of colour saying he shouldn't have deleted it?

Cards on the table, I think it was unwise to have tweeted what he did, in part because it was easy for people to vexatiously construe it as racist. There was a good question in there. Is there a significant amount of racism in the Conservative membership?
    I don't know the answer to that question, but having two people of colour being presented to the membership would hardly answer that question.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He then spent ages basically saying 'I was right' and 'only white people complained about it, Tory white people who are in a racist party'. And blocked some non-white commentators who disagreed with him.

So his more thougtful clarification was clearly a load of bollocks - he meant what it appeared he meant, temporarily realised it looked bad and took it down, but regretted having done so.

I also go to my standard rule that if someone is meant to be a good communicator, I don't buy that they made such a hash of their intended point.

He's a gigantic berk. If people want to waste their time defending a gigantic berk that's on them, but it won't change my mind about the man.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

The labour selection process can’t be rigged by MPs or the Executive, the long list goes to members.
    Which is even dumber than the Tory system. Members of parties are not representative of the broader public. MPs are.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And yet only getting that many will make whoever is up agaisnt him red hot favourite.

IMO it will be very hard to keep Sunak out of the final 2. He only needs 20 transfers cumulative from ALL the rounds (including this one) to get 30% of the MPs' vote, which would have been enough in any of the 3 previous contested elections under the current rules. 32 and he's in

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1547253592695898113?cxt=HHwWgoCwoby8-fgqAAAA

There is no guarantee that he holds on to all 88 ... Topping the first round didn't work out for Portillo in 2001.
  • Options
    Truss, Badenoch and Braverman combined came to 122 votes, just over 1/3 of Tory MPs. So if they all combined behind one of them they would get a candidate in the final 2. However if the supporters of any of the 3 go to Sunak or Mordaunt that no longer applies and the Right’s candidate gets knocked out.

So they cannot afford any leakage, unless Zahawi’s support mainly goes to that block not Sunak and Mordaunt
  • Options
    ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

Man, woman, man, man, woman, man actually
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’ll be great again to a Tory Prime Minister who listens to my every word.

Perhaps she'll be put off by your smutty sense of humour...
    I've heard she thinks he's a cock....
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

So his more thougtful clarification was clearly a load of bollocks - he meant what it appeared he meant, temporarily realised it looked bad and took it down, but regretted having done so.

He's a gigantic berk. If people want to waste their time defending a gigantic berk that's on them, but it won't change my mind about the man.
    I'm quite happy for him to lead challenges to the government - though he needs to be better at picking his targets as he's wasted plenty of time and money - but even if people loved every single challenge he's ever made he could still be a giant berk.

A lot of even admirable figures are also berks.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially -

Why do Black and Brown people get Jolyon capitals, but white people don't?

It's fucking weird
    It means he can count Gordon as a Labour win.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    God knows if anyone knows them all well enough to say if this is right or not

So, because this is my idea of having a good time on holiday, I did a chart of where the Conservative leadership candidates *appear* to sit on left/right economic issues or liberal/authoritarian social values.

It's clear that Braverman is the most right-wing on all counts.

https://twitter.com/ChristabelCoops/status/1547234439075450884?cxt=HHwWiMC-1crh8PgqAAAA
  • Options
    Farooq said:

And did you see the supportive tweets he got from people of colour saying he shouldn't have deleted it?

Cards on the table, I think it was unwise to have tweeted what he did, in part because it was easy for people to vexatiously construe it as racist. There was a good question in there. Is there a significant amount of racism in the Conservative membership?
    I don't know the answer to that question, but having two people of colour being presented to to the membership would hardly answer that question.

People don't generally vexatiously construe things as obvious as that. He provoked the reaction he got because his comments were unacceptable. No amount of after the fact justification changes that.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss, Badenoch and Braverman combined came to 122 votes, just over 1/3 of Tory MPs. So if they all combined behind one of them they would get a candidate in the final 2. However if the supporters of any of the 3 go to Sunak or Mordaunt that no longer applies and the Right’s candidate gets knocked out.

So they cannot afford any leakage, unless Zahawi’s support mainly goes to that block not Sunak and Mordaunt

One can assume that Zahawi, as a Boris Johnson supporter/apologist/traitor (take your pick) is going to be more favoured by those on the right. The rest of the swiveleyed types in the Party seem to be getting behind the ex-lib dem, so I guess they will transfer to her in the main.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There is no guarantee that he holds on to all 88 ... Topping the first round didn't work out for Portillo in 2001.
    There will be those who thought he was a nailed on winner, now discovering he has been issuing jobs cheques they can't cash....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

That is a fair point. I forgot about the, er, rather forgettable John Major!

My point still stands though. It’s simply untenable for labour not to choose a woman to succeed Keir.

It has to be a woman.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

The fallacy of altruism exposed by Dawkins in Selfish Gene: individuals are not motivated by what would benefit the group overall. Ignore this advice.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting therefore there are three roughly equal "factions" within the Parliamentary Party - supporters of Sunak, supporters of Mordaunt and supporters of the best placed "right" candidate?

This seems reminiscent of 2001 when it was alleged some MPs voted tactically to ensure Portillo wouldn't make it through to the membership voting which opened the door for Iain Duncan Smith to face and defeat Clarke.

I begin to wonder whether Sunak might end up the Portillo of this leadership election.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    The shear speed of the campaign has to have hurt some candidates (and helped others)...its literally political speed dating rather than an actual campaign...until we get to the final 2.
  • Options
    glw said:

Farooq said:

I don't know the answer to that question, but having two people of colour being presented to to the membership would hardly answer that question.

People don't generally vexatiously construe things as obvious as that. He provoked the reaction he got because his comments were unacceptable. No amount of after the fact justification changes that.

Your "analysis" does not account for the large amount of support he got.
    You have to dismiss a lot of voices of people of colour in order to get to the conclusion that the tweet was obviously wrong. Are you ready to do that?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

I think it is more that we tend to look for an opposite to the current prime minister rather than party leader. Opposite does not have to be gender but it is probably helpful to for a party nominee to be the opposite of the leaving or current PM. Nearly everyone has some element of opposite to Boris (as Boris is a freak), but Mordaunt and Badenoch fit the bill the best of the candidates.

The potential Labour leadership candidates don't actually stack up well as opposites of Mordaunt. Nandy, Cooper and Reeves all feel a bit similar to Mordaunt. Rayner, Phillips, Streeting or Lammy fit okay.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    kle4 said:

PaulSimon said:

Truss, Braverman and Badenoch need to stitch up some sort of deal pronto if they want a right wing candidate in the final two.

I know its right wing in the tory context, but pretty sure most people would think they are all pretty right wing regardless.

Honestly, given Sunak seems to have been given the remainer label despite being a longstanding leaver, and none of them seem very divergent on policy, I don't know how they decide some ones are more right wing than the others.
    I don't really think they do. My expectation is that there will be all sorts of reasons to swap from one candidate to another - personal relationships, articulate, perceptions of competence, or whether a given candidate might help a given MP retain his seat... And there is no single spectrum of policy positions, and different agendas will be important to different people. There won't be transfers en bloc from one candidate to another.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

My point still stands though. It’s simply untenable for labour not to choose a woman to succeed Keir.

It has to be a woman.
    My point still stands, utter nonsense.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

It has to be a woman.
    Since when were election outcomes predictable on grounds of "tenability"?

Digging.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

One can assume that Zahawi, as a Boris Johnson supporter/apologist/traitor (take your pick) is going to be more favoured by those on the right. The rest of the swiveleyed types in the Party seem to be getting behind the ex-lib dem, so I guess they will transfer to her in the main.
    Some of Zahawi’s votes will go to Mordaunt and Sunak, he is not ERG

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    kle4 said:

So, because this is my idea of having a good time on holiday, I did a chart of where the Conservative leadership candidates *appear* to sit on left/right economic issues or liberal/authoritarian social values.

https://twitter.com/ChristabelCoops/status/1547234439075450884?cxt=HHwWiMC-1crh8PgqAAAA

Relationship to Boris?

I suppose some are young enough to be his...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

His "thoughtful" thread that starts with 'the Tory party is racist, I have proved this before.. picaninies=PROOF'
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting therefore there are three roughly equal "factions" within the Parliamentary Party - supporters of Sunak, supporters of Mordaunt and supporters of the best placed "right" candidate?

This seems reminiscent of 2001 when it was alleged some MPs voted tactically to ensure Portillo wouldn't make it through to the membership voting which opened the door for Iain Duncan Smith to face and defeat Clarke.

I begin to wonder whether Sunak might end up the Portillo of this leadership election.
    Great tax avoiding Rail Journeys
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Different to 2001 though as Tugendhat is closest to Clarke ideologically of those left, Sunak and Mordaunt could be seen as closest to Portillo, Badenoch, Truss and Braverman closest to IDS of the last 6 remaining
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited July 2022
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Relationship to Boris?

She's a woman, and they've put 'relationship: insider.'

Which is possibly true given his record, but very tactless.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Different to 2001 though as Tugendhat is closest to Clarke ideologically of those left, Sunak and Mordaunt could be seen as closest to Portillo, Badenoch, Truss and Braverman closest to IDS
    of the last 6 remaining

Setting aside your own preference, who do you see making the final 2 now?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,659
    Of course if you needed a “it’s just one poll” health warning after all of your years on Twitter dot com, it’s worth noting that today’s efforts suggest 27% of Tory members want Mordaunt to lead them, while only 16% can actually identify her

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1547272726758379521
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I think Rishi 'Portilloed' some time ago - too slick, too early, too entitled, too obviously planned by PR people, too Portillo. Though he ought, unlike P to make the last two.

If he doesn't history could repeat itself and we end up with IDS in the form of Truss.

If you want to stop Rishi or Truss, Mordaunt is the one. If you want to stop Truss alone, Mordaunt and Rishi is the only sure way. You can't stop Mordaunt without risking having Truss. So think again.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    kle4 said:

Vague for Mordaunt on fiscal policy......only Sunak has one that makes any kind of sense, harsh to single out Mordaunt with the only word on the grid. I will add "Insane" to Zahawi's.

And why are Sunak and Hunt the same category on Brexit? Sunak was and as far as I am aware is a long standing hard Brexiteer quite content with no deal? Have the Tories finally admitted that Brexit for them is not about our relationship with the EU but simple fealty to Boris?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Relationship to Boris?

Fiscal policy "vague".
    Just what's needed in a PM right now.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    The winner will be:

Sunak or Truss or Mordaunt or Tugendhat or Badenoch or Braverman.

Maybe not Braverman
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995
    ping said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

It has to be a woman.
    I agree they need a woman, but not *any* woman.

How would you feel if the candidates were Bunrham, Khan and Abbott?

Buggins' turn is never a good idea.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    "How Penny Mordaunt fell foul of the nostalgia lobby
    An unlikely row about It Ain’t Half Hot Mum shows some in Tory ranks feel assailed by any critique of the past
    David Aaronovitch" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/penny-mordaunt-misreads-the-comfort-of-nostalgia-vl8m5w7pf
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453

The winner will be:

Sunak or Truss or Mordaunt or Tugendhat or Badenoch or Braverman.

Maybe not Braverman

It’s between 3: Mordaunt, Badenoch or Truss. That’s it now.

Rishi can’t win. Tugendhat and Braverman don’t have the numbers.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

His "thoughtful" thread that starts with 'the Tory party is racist, I have proved this before.. picaninies=PROOF'
    Bit more nuanced than that:
    https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1546514162439929857
    "The Government is racist"
    And a lot more than just the "picaninies" comment. There's a whole subthread of reasons.
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

It has to be a woman.
    A woman does not automatically mean election winner, see Theresa May, Julia Gillard, Hillary Clinton, Valerie Pecresse and Kim Campbell.

Streeting or Burnham would be better for Labour but if Starmer won the next general election there might not be another Labour leadership election for a decade

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    glw said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Watching some of the Twitter lefties go full racist, is one of the most amusing parts of the last few days. They really don’t like the idea that ethnic minorities might be conservative.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

And a lot more than just the "picaninies" comment. There's a whole subthread of reasons.
    He also writes "Power has many lens of which colour is only one."

WTF does that mean?

And does he think the plural of lens is lens?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Farooq said:

glw said:

Farooq said:

Your "analysis" does not account for the large amount of support he got.
    You have to dismiss a lot of voices of people of colour in order to get to the conclusion that the tweet was obviously wrong. Are you ready to do that?
    Doesn't work as a defence because he deleted his original post. It's like Brown calling that woman a bigot, then claiming she wasn't, only for some of his defenders to say she was a bigot after all. Even if it was true, it didn't work because his own actions argued otherwise.

He obviously was worried enough that he felt he had to remove it, even if he tried to caveat why. He's regretted it, clearly, but that he took the step shows he knows the point he was making was not the thoughtful point he now claims it was.

I think people generally mean what they say. His actions show he meant the more inflammatory interpretation, rather than some point about ethnic minority representation. His reactions since, focusing on the original point, have shown his dishonesty in claiming he meant something deeper.

If he wanted to make a blunt point, and he has so many people supporting him, he need not have taken down the first tweet. He is very proud of not backing down from a righteous fight, yet he did initially back down on this one - that I find very telling indeed, since this is not someone who would casually do that, he is not one to be bullied away from his opinion.

More than that, he dismissed and blocked people who disagreed with him, assuming they are just partisans. I don't have a problem with him launching legal challenges, and plenty of others who disagreed with him were not Tory partisans either - so that this intelligent lawyer launched into such a defence shows he was on shaky grounds. He was not confident of defending his point, so instead he just whined that Tories were after him.

He might be right on so many issues and on the government, people will disagree about that, but at the very least his behaviour was that of a right arse, being dishonest about his intention and in his reaction to criticism on it, as well as evasive. He made a comment and then divert from it by pointing at some group that is even worse - maybe they are, but that doesn't speak to what he said, and how he has been dishonest about it.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    stodge said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

Sorry, which comment?
    Essentially -

Given the two previous female leaders of the party were both deposed by the parliamentary party despite neither having lost an election, I wonder why some of the current candidates are bothering.
    How depressing it is to see many on here obsessed by identity politics - labour must have a woman leader this time etc - We are talking about important jobs which should always go to the best person for that role
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

WTF does that mean?

He did a typo? Throw him overboard!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Different to 2001 though as Tugendhat is closest to Clarke ideologically of those left, Sunak and Mordaunt could be seen as closest to Portillo, Badenoch, Truss and Braverman closest to IDS
    of the last 6 remaining

Setting aside your own preference, who do you see making the final 2 now?
    Truss and Mordaunt, just. However could be Sunak v Mordaunt if not all Badenoch and Braverman votes transfer to Truss
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I don’t get the Sunak campaign. He is not continuity, but as the author of this economy, two years as Boris right hand and FPN to prove it, he cannot offer a fresh start.

Seems doomed to me.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

It has to be a woman.
    A woman does not automatically mean election winner, see Theresa May, Julia Gillard, Hillary Clinton, Valerie Pecresse and Kim Campbell.

Streeting or Burnham would be better for Labour but if Starmer won the next general election there might not be another Labour leadership election for a decade

May and Gillard won elections.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

WTF does that mean?

He did a typo? Throw him overboard!
    What did he mean to write?

Power has many lenses? WTF does that even mean?

Power has many pens?

Power has many kens?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

ping said:

Last Tory PM’s;

Man
    Woman
    Man
    Woman
    Man

Betting tip:

Utter nonsense.
    Yes, terrible tip. Labour has repeatedly shown it his no intention of electing a woman as leader.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think there is a great mistake in putting right wing and authoritarian in the same bloc in this instance. I would suggest that David Davis is regarded as Right Wing on some cultural war issues but he is certainly not authoritarian - exactly the opposite in fact.
    Just be thankful they haven't used liberal as a synonym for good as some do.

Though you can get some real unliberal things through that way if you want I bet.
This discussion has been closed.