Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So now it is down to 8 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not surprised about Kemi and net zero. She comes across as a very tribal, hyper political politician. Obviously that might appeal to Conservatives in this campaign, but it creates blind spots and is not a great quality for a PM.

I don't think she's half as formidable as her backers think she is. She'll also undoubtedly be accused of being Gove's puppet.
    The whole thing is bonkers. She is not experienced enough to take over in the middle of an economic crisis the like o which we have not seen in decades and with a war in eastern europe that could drag on for years.

She is utterly untested at high office and Tories who think she is ready need to go and take a long cold non-alcoholic drink and get a fecking grip.

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.
    You're shitting yourself about Kemi v Keir
    I assure you that I am not. I can see why she appeals to some Tories though, much as Corbyn appealed to some Labourites. But like Corbyn that appeal is narrow and the lack of any leadership experience is a critical weakness.
    Mordaunt is who Starmer and Labour fear most, I reckon. Followed by either Sunak or Tugendhat. After Braverman and Cosplay Thatcher, Badenoch is probably who they most would want to succeed Johnson.
    I think the Labour Party would most want Braverman to win.
    Champagne corks popping in Labour HQ - Braverman, Zahawi

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Neutral - Rishi/Tugendhat

Nervous - Penny

WTF is going to happen? - Badenoch
    Yep, that's a good analysis

Perhaps a bit more WTF and *actual panic* with Badenoch: how on earth would Labour, and the wider Left, deal with a young black female rightwing Tory leader? How? I can't see any attack lines, prima facie
    Badenoch could be an enormous success, or a terrible failure - we simply don't know enough about her yet to be sure. I could see her leading the Conservatives to a 100 seat majority... or their worst result since 2001.

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    She really needs to run a big department. Where she can deal with the practicalities rather than just the theory of slash the State.
    In view of the conversation tonight I would suggest education as a good place to start.
    She might even learn some things.
    Or perhaps not.
    (Wikipedia) … was also a school governor at St Thomas the Apostle College in Southwark, and the Jubilee Primary School.…

Badenoch is a devout Roman Catholic
    Ms Badenoch was born in Wimbledon and brought up in Nigeria, the 42-year-old describes herself as a 'cultural Christian' and has a range of faith traditions to draw upon.
    https://premierchristian.news/en/news/article/former-faith-minister-catholic-mp-in-running-to-replace-boris-johnson

Dawkins describes himself as a Cultural Christian
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christians
    Well either way she will get knocked out before the final round and I am backing Tugendhat who actually is a Roman Catholic
    You're going to convert to Catholicism at this rate!
    If I wasn't Anglican I would be Roman Catholic
    Are you not allowed to be both?
    No, if you are Anglican you are Protestant and also can't take communion therefore in a Roman Catholic church
    Although I'm an atheist, I was baptised, so I'm also nominally CofE. But if I wasn't CofE, and I had to be something, I'd be a Presbyterian. No bishops. And I prefer the aesthetic.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

This sounds trivial but maybe it isn't.

https://unherd.com/thepost/why-does-penny-mordaunt-hate-dads-army/

"Why does Penny Mordaunt hate Dad’s Army?
    This is no laughing matter for the leadership contender"

Never been a fan myself.

My grandfather was in the Wigan Home Guard. They were nearly all miners in reserved occupations and hard as nails.
    It's only sad old men who like Dad's Army
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Surely Sunak and Tugendhat don't have enough votes between them to get Tugendhat to the Final - even if Rishi lent Tom all his surplus votes (which he won't - as he can't cut it too fine and also he'll want to be clearly in the lead).

They do I would think. I would have thought by the final 4 candidates Sunak + Tugendhat combined would be just over 50% of Tory MPs
    They would need well over 50% as the other two won't split equally and Sunak must retain a clear lead for momentum purposes.

So it would need to be something like:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

And I'm not sure that's realistic. If the right coalesce around Truss she surely gets over 25%.
    And add in the factor, the second it’s clear Truss is in member ballot with Sunak she gets a pile on of support as the certain winner, many will want or maintain access to the greasy pole.
    The impression I get - and I may well be completely misreading this as I am not in the party - is that everyone is fighting to be the second of the two being put forward with Sunak because they know that if they are then chances are they will win. Based on the recent head to heads that were being posted here, Sunak loses against most opposition once the membership get their turn.
    Truss, Mordaunt and Badenoch beat Sunak in the ConHome survey today but Sunak still narrowly beat Tugendhat.

Hence Sir Gavin's cunning plan will be to get a Sunak v Tugendhat final 2

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
    You really are very amusing but what happens when Tugendhat is eliminated tomorrow
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not surprised about Kemi and net zero. She comes across as a very tribal, hyper political politician. Obviously that might appeal to Conservatives in this campaign, but it creates blind spots and is not a great quality for a PM.

I don't think she's half as formidable as her backers think she is. She'll also undoubtedly be accused of being Gove's puppet.
    The whole thing is bonkers. She is not experienced enough to take over in the middle of an economic crisis the like o which we have not seen in decades and with a war in eastern europe that could drag on for years.

She is utterly untested at high office and Tories who think she is ready need to go and take a long cold non-alcoholic drink and get a fecking grip.

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.
    I assure you that I am not. I can see why she appeals to some Tories though, much as Corbyn appealed to some Labourites. But like Corbyn that appeal is narrow and the lack of any leadership experience is a critical weakness.
    Mordaunt is who Starmer and Labour fear most, I reckon. Followed by either Sunak or Tugendhat. After Braverman and Cosplay Thatcher, Badenoch is probably who they most would want to succeed Johnson.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Perhaps a bit more WTF and *actual panic* with Badenoch: how on earth would Labour, and the wider Left, deal with a young black female rightwing Tory leader? How? I can't see any attack lines, prima facie
    Badenoch could be an enormous success, or a terrible failure - we simply don't know enough about her yet to be sure. I could see her leading the Conservatives to a 100 seat majority... or their worst result since 2001.

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    She really needs to run a big department. Where she can deal with the practicalities rather than just the theory of slash the State.
    In view of the conversation tonight I would suggest education as a good place to start.
    Or perhaps not.
    (Wikipedia) … was also a school governor at St Thomas the Apostle College in Southwark, and the Jubilee Primary School.…

Ms Badenoch was born in Wimbledon and brought up in Nigeria, the 42-year-old describes herself as a 'cultural Christian' and has a range of faith traditions to draw upon.
    https://premierchristian.news/en/news/article/former-faith-minister-catholic-mp-in-running-to-replace-boris-johnson

Well either way she will get knocked out before the final round and I am backing Tugendhat who actually is a Roman Catholic
    No, if you are Anglican you are Protestant and also can't take communion therefore in a Roman Catholic church
    Although I'm an atheist, I was baptised, so I'm also nominally CofE. But if I wasn't CofE, and I had to be something, I'd be a Presbyterian. No bishops. And I prefer the aesthetic.
    Having a bit of water dribbled on your head forty years ago doesn't "make" you anything. If you are an atheist, you are an atheist and good on you for it. Baptism doesn't lock you in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited July 2022
    Betting experts discuss the leadership election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUGaO9EPnZE
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

My grandfather was in the Wigan Home Guard. They were nearly all miners in reserved occupations and hard as nails.
    I was going to troll that there's an episode that features a suspected IRA man and that it's been *cancelled*, so would be a prime Tory Red Meat wedge issue, but according to Wikipedia it was shown in 2012 (and it's on the DVD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absent_Friends_(Dad's_Army)
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dan Hodges may be onto something here. I won't post the whole thread.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1546953684214497284

"(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    In a contest in which honesty and integrity are so pivotal, I don't see how Penny M's attempt to rewrite her position on this in such a nakedly opportunistic way is survivable."
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Surely Sunak and Tugendhat don't have enough votes between them to get Tugendhat to the Final - even if Rishi lent Tom all his surplus votes (which he won't - as he can't cut it too fine and also he'll want to be clearly in the lead).

They do I would think. I would have thought by the final 4 candidates Sunak + Tugendhat combined would be just over 50% of Tory MPs
    They would need well over 50% as the other two won't split equally and Sunak must retain a clear lead for momentum purposes.

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

And I'm not sure that's realistic. If the right coalesce around Truss she surely gets over 25%.
    And add in the factor, the second it’s clear Truss is in member ballot with Sunak she gets a pile on of support as the certain winner, many will want or maintain access to the greasy pole.
    The impression I get - and I may well be completely misreading this as I am not in the party - is that everyone is fighting to be the second of the two being put forward with Sunak because they know that if they are then chances are they will win. Based on the recent head to heads that were being posted here, Sunak loses against most opposition once the membership get their turn.
    Yes that is what we all now expect Richard. Sunak probably in last two, though the stop Rishi attack may have some cards yet to play, perhaps a key one from Wallace about blocking Ukraine spending - both Truss and Penny favoured to beat Sunak in member ballot, whichever one beats the other into second spot. Though the surveys of membership have been a bit all over the road actually - the one for C4 news actually has Sunak winning, but only by 2%.

HY has his own calculation that puts Tugendhat into last two thanks to loan of Sunak’s extra vote the rest of us don’t think Rishi could spare.

Hope that helps 🙂

The third hustings is in the morning, the 92 group I think, the ballot open 1.30 till 3 today, 30 votes needed to go to the next round and last place eliminated.

I think all candidates have had to sign to say they won’t withdraw if one of the last two, to confirm a membership vote.

And that’s me done for today 🥱
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Andy_JS said:

I liked Dad's Army, but wasn't a great fan of It Ain't Half Hot. And Hi-de-Hi was great for the first few seasons, but tailed off badly.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

In fairness, it has a really excellent ensemble cast that save a generally rather weak script (a hell of a high garbage to "Don't tell 'em, Pike" ratio).

Mordaunt's actual criticism was directed, anyway, at It Ain't Half Hot Mum. A show which was, and I think I'm putting it generously here out of respect to all involved, total horse sh1t.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

Having a bit of water dribbled on your head forty years ago doesn't "make" you anything. If you are an atheist, you are an atheist and good on you for it. Baptism doesn't lock you in.
    If you are baptised Roman Catholic, even if you become an atheist the Vatican still count you as Roman Catholic just one who has lost their way
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

Truss, Mordaunt and Badenoch beat Sunak in the ConHome survey today but Sunak still narrowly beat Tugendhat.

Hence Sir Gavin's cunning plan will be to get a Sunak v Tugendhat final 2

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
    You really are very amusing but what happens when Tugendhat is eliminated tomorrow
    He won't be
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

I can’t let that go…

I don’t agree with you Farooq!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

Maybe it's time to criminalize apostasy again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

That’s exactly what I was about to pray for!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

NEVER!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

If you are baptised Roman Catholic, even if you become an atheist the Vatican still count you as Roman Catholic just one who has lost their way
    I count you as a mushroom, doesn't mean you have to follow suit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I liked Dad's Army, but wasn't a great fan of It Ain't Half Hot. And Hi-de-Hi was great for the first few seasons, but tailed off badly.
    But what do you think about Curry & Chips?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

The only kind of apostasy that should be illegal is adopting American -ize spellings.
    That in itself is a Farookism.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

I'm only 46!
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    I like Penny Mordaunt and It Ain't Half Hot Mum.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

I think they still count me as one of theirs. But they can't make me believe. Not that half of them seem to believe themselves, mind.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

I'm only 46!
    "Only" doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting there, granddad.

Yours etc,

Sir Norfolk Passmore
    Aged 45 3/4.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

The only kind of apostasy that should be illegal is adopting American -ize spellings.
    The only kind of apostasy that should be illegal is dissing classic sitcoms :angry:
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

The only kind of apostasy that should be illegal is dissing classic sitcoms :angry:
    I'm doomed!
  • Options

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

I'm only 46!

Yours etc,

Sir Norfolk Passmore
    Aged 45 3/4.
    By the way Norfolk, did I notice you slip a Half Man Half Biscuit reference in yesterday? Or was that pure coincidence?
  • Options
    Anyway, if Mordaunt is genuinely dissing Dad's Army, that's her done for. Sell Mordaunt.
    You can dance on the head of a pin over trans matters. It's not edifying but its what we've come to expect from politicians. But if you're trying to cancel Dad's Army I suggest it will go down very badly.

Why do politicians feel the need to do this?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Cookie said:

Anyway, if Mordaunt is genuinely dissing Dad's Army, that's her done for. Sell Mordaunt.
    You can dance on the head of a pin over trans matters. It's not edifying but its what we've come to expect from politicians. But if you're trying to cancel Dad's Army I suggest it will go down very badly.

She urgently needs to clarify her stance on Up Pompeii.
    Ah, so you’re a member of the “Common Sense Group”.
  • Options
    Two tweets from a serving member of the UK cabinet.

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    You have to ask the question, ‘why is Cummings so fervently backing, Sunak?’
    The answer must surely be, bcse he thinks he can control him and he wants to be back at the heart of government. That’s quite a terrifying thought."

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    This is dirty tricks/a stitch up/dark arts. Take your pick. Team Rishi want the candidate they know they can definitely beat in the final two and that is
    @Jeremy_Hunt
    Quote Tweet
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    · 6h
    One rival camp tells me Gavin Willamson (who is on Team Rishi) has organised syphoning off of some votes to let Jeremy Hunt get over the threshold."

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1546254618044366849
    https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1546904679191281666
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dan Hodges may be onto something here. I won't post the whole thread.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1546953684214497284

"(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    In a contest in which honesty and integrity are so pivotal, I don't see how Penny M's attempt to rewrite her position on this in such a nakedly opportunistic way is survivable."

Bizarrely, I agree with Hodges.
    Penny’s whole attraction is that she represents a clean break from Boris, but if she’s just going to bullshit then we may as well have an experienced bullshitter like Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Nadine is right.

Cummings is backing Rishi, and although they are not working together, they are likely linked by third parties.

And Rishi (and his numbers guy, Gavin Williamson) does seem keen to help Tugendhat or Hunt along. I suspect he fears Truss the most, followed by Mordaunt.

Given Gove’s involvement, it’s entirely possible Badenoch is also some kind of Manchurian candidate for Sunak.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    Andy_JS said:

Two tweets from a serving member of the UK cabinet.

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    You have to ask the question, ‘why is Cummings so fervently backing, Sunak?’
    The answer must surely be, bcse he thinks he can control him and he wants to be back at the heart of government. That’s quite a terrifying thought."

"Nadine Dorries
    @NadineDorries
    This is dirty tricks/a stitch up/dark arts. Take your pick. Team Rishi want the candidate they know they can definitely beat in the final two and that is
    @Jeremy_Hunt
    Quote Tweet
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    · 6h
    One rival camp tells me Gavin Willamson (who is on Team Rishi) has organised syphoning off of some votes to let Jeremy Hunt get over the threshold."

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1546254618044366849
    https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1546904679191281666

Better she spends her time pumping out this bilge, than engaging in actual governating.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

Having grown up as a Scottish atheist who occasionally got hauled into the local church I remember being appalled at all the English cathedrals seemingly stuffed full up of gaudy shite.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703

Cookie said:

This discussion is heading in ever-decreasing circles.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Cookie said:

Come on, Farooq. And indeed Mordaunt. I dare you to diss Ever Decreasing Circles. I double dare you.
  • Options
    "Robert Peston
    @Peston

This is not a judgement about policy content, but as pure performance and for coherence of argument,
    @KemiBadenoch was impressive today, possibly the best performance by any candidate so far."

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1546934097603428352
  • Options
    Cookie said:

NeilVW said:

Cookie said:

Come on, Farooq. And indeed Mordaunt. I dare you to diss Ever Decreasing Circles. I double dare you.
    Never seen it
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    1968: Rivers of Blood

2022: Oceans of Woke
  • Options
    Missed this from a couple of days ago.

"A newly-appointed minister has repeated claims made against Labour's Angela Rayner that she "opened her legs" to distract Boris Johnson in the Commons. A newspaper article in April quoted Tory MPs who said the deputy leader tried to put Mr Johnson off."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62113335
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    Andy_JS said:

Missed this from a couple of days ago.

"A newly-appointed minister has repeated claims made against Labour's Angela Rayner that she "opened her legs" to distract Boris Johnson in the Commons. A newspaper article in April quoted Tory MPs who said the deputy leader tried to put Mr Johnson off."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62113335

Ah the ginger growler again.

And Lia Nici's and your point being exactly?
  • Options

1968: Rivers of Blood

2022: Oceans of Woke

You Racist Cracker!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nadine Dorries' Trump-like behaviour on Twitter is pretty offputting. British politics would be better off without her contributions IMO. I hope she isn't included in the new government.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

NeilVW said:

Cookie said:

Never seen it
    Classic 80s but often overlooked 80s sitcom. A little more cerebral than some. Not wildly hilarious; enjoyable mostly for the sheer precision Richard Briers puts into his character.
    In all seriousness, sorry if I appear to be getting belligerent! Misplaced attempt at humour and certainly not aimed at you. If we can't disagree about sitcoms, what can we disagree about?
    But I do think Mordaunt's run ends here.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

I'm only 46!

Yours etc,

Sir Norfolk Passmore
    Aged 45 3/4.
    By the way Norfolk, did I notice you slip a Half Man Half Biscuit reference in yesterday? Or was that pure coincidence?
    There is no such thing as a coincidence.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Dorries is heading right to the back benches. She will play no further part in government under any of the final 8. She might think she has a deal with Truss. She will be wrong.

Mogg might survive a little longer. But probably not.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    Was going to post about the Rise & Fall of Reginald Perrin, but am pre-empted by Wikipedia informing me that Leonard Rossiter had a five year extramarital affair with Radio 4’s Sue McGregor in the early 80s. Didn’t think he had it in him. Or her. Good Lord.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

I just had a look at Linkedin. People are venting their fury about Braverman and Badenoch. How can it be possible that they are opposed to net zero! How can they even be allowed to be candidates! ... There was similar fury about the supreme court overturning Roe v Wade. People were going around building "firewalls" around themselves, cancelling their professional contacts who, however cautiously, expressed a different view.

Linkedin used to be where you could find some sanity. Now it is just no different really to facebook. Social media has just made everyone mad. It is all tribal mob rule. Meaningful debate is completely dead.

I cannot imagine discussing politics on LinkedIn. Unless, I worked in politics.
    LinkedIn in 2022 unfortunately has absolutely nothing to do with work, and almost all posts are virtue signalling politics, or karma farming "i suffered from depression or a disability or whatever but look at me now smiling having beaten adversity to become a low level drone in sector 7G, etc".

It is the most depressing place on earth, and surely evidence that 99% of humans are actually NPCs.
    I've used it fairly well to keep in contact with some people I used to work with, which has the potential to help me get work in the future.

I just can't imagine using it in any other way. Why would I want to put off people who might offer me a job by getting into an argument with them about politics?
    Honestly, it beats me.

The annoying thing about LinkedIn is, as far as I know, it promotes popular posts around the network and you can't tune it to only show you posts from people you know.

There was a post I saw on there the other day from a woman who was proudly announcing she was adding "sex worker" to her linkedin job history because sex work was real work, and it was about time blah blah, yadda yadda.

And all I could think was, crikey, I'm not sure I'd employ someone who put "hooker" on their CV. But her post was teeming with likes and bravery and you-go-girls.

The funny thing is, I personally don't have a problem if that was her job for ten years or more, a job's a job. But there is such a thing as a time and a place, such a thing as over sharing...
    Linkedin — pretty sure I only see stuff from connections, although that includes things they have commented on or liked. Can't see where that is set though.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

Nadine is right.

Cummings is backing Rishi, and although they are not working together, they are likely linked by third parties.

And Rishi (and his numbers guy, Gavin Williamson) does seem keen to help Tugendhat or Hunt along. I suspect he fears Truss the most, followed by Mordaunt.

Given Gove’s involvement, it’s entirely possible Badenoch is also some kind of Manchurian candidate for Sunak.

It's much more likely that Gove was dumped for Sunak, who accepted Cummings's control over economic policy as the cost of the Chancellor job. Course, things did not work out as planned by the superforecaster. Badenoch does not seem to be an empty vessel for median voter PR like Johnson / Sunak.
  • Options

Betfair next pm prices:-

2.94 Rishi Sunak 34%
    3.25 Penny Mordaunt 30%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    13.5 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    17.5 Tom Tugendhat 5%
    80 Jeremy Hunt
    90 Suella Braverman
    100 Nadhim Zahawi
    210 Dominic Raab

Almost equal at the top, and Tom Tugendhat is going for a walk as the market settles back to a three-horse race.

3 Rishi Sunak 33%
    3.05 Penny Mordaunt 32%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    15.5 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    26 Tom Tugendhat
    48 Jeremy Hunt
    70 Suella Braverman
    80 Nadhim Zahawi
    200 Sajid Javid
    250 Dominic Raab
    Money for new favourite Penny Mordaunt (h-t MikeL) and Jeremy Hunt!

2.88 Penny Mordaunt 34%
    3 Rishi Sunak 33%
    5.2 Liz Truss 19%
    15 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    32 Tom Tugendhat
    36 Jeremy Hunt
    70 Suella Braverman
    110 Nadhim Zahawi
    280 Dominic Raab
    Oddly, Penny Mordaunt is favourite on Betfair to be next Prime Minister but Rishi Sunak is favourite in their market for next Conservative leader.

Next PM
    2.82 Penny Mordaunt 35%
    3 Rishi Sunak 33%
    5.4 Liz Truss 18%
    15 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    30 Tom Tugendhat
    42 Jeremy Hunt
    110 Nadhim Zahawi
    110 Suella Braverman
    270 Dominic Raab

Next leader of the Conservative Party
    2.94 Rishi Sunak 34%
    2.96 Penny Mordaunt 33%
    5.1 Liz Truss 19%
    15 Kemi Badenoch 6%
    32 Tom Tugendhat
    44 Jeremy Hunt
    95 Suella Braverman
    120 Nadhim Zahawi
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    carnforth said:

Was going to post about the Rise & Fall of Reginald Perrin, but am pre-empted by Wikipedia informing me that Leonard Rossiter had a five year extramarital affair with Radio 4’s Sue McGregor in the early 80s. Didn’t think he had it in him. Or her. Good Lord.

This is quite a good starting point for constructing your own list, though it only goes up to 2004 (so omits the IT crowd).
    https://mubi.com/lists/britain-s-best-sitcom-the-bbc-s-top-100
    Only major omission I can see from that list is Chance in a Million.

Though I think it is considering 'The Likely Lads' and 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' as one sitcom; it should really be two. WHTTLL is a classic and a fascinating glance of the social changes of 70s Britain.

I was very pleased to see I Didn't Know You Cared on there - also a fascinating glance at etc etc.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

NeilVW said:

Cookie said:

Never seen it
    It is being repeated on BBC4 at the moment. Check iPlayer
  • Options
    "Who is Jeremy Hunt? Meet the 'moderate' who wants to bring back fox hunting"

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20270406.jeremy-hunt-meet-moderate-wants-bring-back-fox-hunting/
  • Options
    Cookie said:

carnforth said:

This is quite a good starting point for constructing your own list, though it only goes up to 2004 (so omits the IT crowd).

Though I think it is considering 'The Likely Lads' and 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' as one sitcom; it should really be two. WHTTLL is a classic and a fascinating glance of the social changes of 70s Britain.

I was very pleased to see I Didn't Know You Cared on there - also a fascinating glance at etc etc.
    That list is a bit odd. Vicar of Dibley at #3?
    I don’t think so. I also never thought Only Fools and Horses was as good as apparently we’re supposed to think.
  • Options
    "Henry Mance
    @henrymance

One Tory MP’s view of the leadership contest: “A circular firing squad composed of people without any weapons training.”"

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1546770401451204608
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I’ve cut my exposure to Badenoch in half.

I’m not sure she’s particularly great value at current odds.
  • Options
    Polling Station 7 minute rundown of the candidates. Spoiler: they all tip Penny Mordaunt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUGaO9EPnZE
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    "Boris Johnson has not ruled out attempting to make a comeback should his successor’s government collapse, according to allies."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-has-not-ruled-out-making-comeback-vtrjqwczf
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Andy_JS said:

I ❤️ Dads Army it is the most perfect sitcom ever.
    Father Ted says hello.......
  • Options
    Cookie said:

carnforth said:

As it doesn't contain either Auf Wiedersein Pet or A Very Peculiar Practice, it is (to say the least) incomplete.

And why is the Vicar of Dibley so high up? That should be waaaaaaaaayyyy down the list.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

The top five (in no particular order), surely, are:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
  • Options
    Father Ted also contains the single best Radiohead gag:

https://youtu.be/5-ManI1H9vA
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Boris Johnson has not ruled out attempting to make a comeback should his successor’s government collapse, according to allies."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-has-not-ruled-out-making-comeback-vtrjqwczf

Except the Ted Heath Tribute Act on the backbenches doesn't earn him more than a basic MPs salary.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,919
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
    It's odd how all those all revolve around middle-class or upper-class people. Blackadder: kings and nobles. Fawlty Towers: a small businessman. Father Ted: priests. Dad's Army: led by a bank manager with shopkeepers and others. Yes Minister: politicians.

I'd put a thoroughly working-class but hilarious one on the list: Two Pints of Lager. If only because a friend used to refer to Mrs J and myself as Gaz and Donna... ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
    It's odd how all those all revolve around middle-class or upper-class people. Blackadder: kings and nobles. Fawlty Towers: a small businessman. Father Ted: priests. Dad's Army: led by a bank manager with shopkeepers and others. Yes Minister: politicians.

I'd put a thoroughly working-class but hilarious one on the list: Two Pints of Lager. If only because a friend used to refer to Mrs J and myself as Gaz and Donna... ;)
    If you look at the top 10 on "Britain's Best Sitcoms" list, you have:

7 Upper and Middle Class:
    Black Adder, Vicar of Dibley, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, The Good Life and One Foot in the Grave

and

3 Working Class:
    Only Fools and Horses, Porridge, Open All Hours

Although you could argue that Only Fools and Horses was about people wanting to be middle and upper class, that Porridge is the non working (what with them being incarcerated) class, and Open All Hours was about a shop owner - i.e. a member of the petty bourgeoisie.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
    Father Ted
    Blackadder
    Red Dwarf
    Peep Show
    The Conservative Party
    The Detectorists
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Andy_JS said:

I pointed this out the other day.

That's a good article.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
    Father Ted
    Blackadder
    Red Dwarf
    Peep Show
    The Conservative Party
    The Detectorists
    I couldn't decide whether to make number five Yes Minister or Red Dwarf, but went with the former because I still watch it today.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

I just had a look at Linkedin. People are venting their fury about Braverman and Badenoch. How can it be possible that they are opposed to net zero! How can they even be allowed to be candidates! ... There was similar fury about the supreme court overturning Roe v Wade. People were going around building "firewalls" around themselves, cancelling their professional contacts who, however cautiously, expressed a different view.

Linkedin used to be where you could find some sanity. Now it is just no different really to facebook. Social media has just made everyone mad. It is all tribal mob rule. Meaningful debate is completely dead.

I cannot imagine discussing politics on LinkedIn. Unless, I worked in politics.
    LinkedIn in 2022 unfortunately has absolutely nothing to do with work, and almost all posts are virtue signalling politics, or karma farming "i suffered from depression or a disability or whatever but look at me now smiling having beaten adversity to become a low level drone in sector 7G, etc".

It is the most depressing place on earth, and surely evidence that 99% of humans are actually NPCs.
    I've used it fairly well to keep in contact with some people I used to work with, which has the potential to help me get work in the future.

I just can't imagine using it in any other way. Why would I want to put off people who might offer me a job by getting into an argument with them about politics?
    Honestly, it beats me.

The annoying thing about LinkedIn is, as far as I know, it promotes popular posts around the network and you can't tune it to only show you posts from people you know.

There was a post I saw on there the other day from a woman who was proudly announcing she was adding "sex worker" to her linkedin job history because sex work was real work, and it was about time blah blah, yadda yadda.

And all I could think was, crikey, I'm not sure I'd employ someone who put "hooker" on their CV. But her post was teeming with likes and bravery and you-go-girls.

The funny thing is, I personally don't have a problem if that was her job for ten years or more, a job's a job. But there is such a thing as a time and a place, such a thing as over sharing...
    Linkedin — pretty sure I only see stuff from connections, although that includes things they have commented on or liked. Can't see where that is set though.
    LinkedIn is about showing off. And because everyone else is doing it you feel you have to do the same to maintain your "profile", so it feeds on itself.

Like all social media it suffers from the narcissism of the "like" button - people count and compare total likes, and who liked it and didn't like it, and develop fandoms & grievances accordingly.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

That's a good article.
    I read Ms Morduant's book. Well, more like I skimmed it, but still, I reckon that's more than most. And IIRC, the only show she actually calls out by name is It Ain't Half Hot Mum*, so the article is a little misleading.

* Which, I would note, I was not allowed to watch as a child because my parents decided it had racist stereotypes. Watching it later, I discovered it was simply bleh: it's nowhere near as funny as Dad's Army or early seasons of Hi-de-Hi.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister

If you look at the top 10 on "Britain's Best Sitcoms" list, you have:

7 Upper and Middle Class:
    Black Adder, Vicar of Dibley, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, The Good Life and One Foot in the Grave

and

3 Working Class:
    Only Fools and Horses, Porridge, Open All Hours

Although you could argue that Only Fools and Horses was about people wanting to be middle and upper class, that Porridge is the non working (what with them being incarcerated) class, and Open All Hours was about a shop owner - i.e. a member of the petty bourgeoisie.
    What makes that so British is that everyone knows exactly what you're talking about and that's absolutely right.

Keeping Up Appearances does it all - somebody basically working class who's married up and changed her accent and now puts on an OTT show.
  • Options
    Russia going scorched earth on Ukraine....

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1546894656306380806
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    I’ve cashed out the other half of my Badenoch bet. I may come to regret it, but right now I don’t think there’s any value at all in her current odds.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

carnforth said:

As it doesn't contain either Auf Wiedersein Pet or A Very Peculiar Practice, it is (to say the least) incomplete.

And why is the Vicar of Dibley so high up? That should be waaaaaaaaayyyy down the list.
    Vicar of Dibley is shite.

Red Dwarf, The Office and Alan Partridge need to be in there, IMHO.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

That's a good article.
    I read Ms Morduant's book. Well, more like I skimmed it, but still, I reckon that's more than most. And IIRC, the only show she actually calls out by name is It Ain't Half Hot Mum*, so the article is a little misleading.

* Which, I would note, I was not allowed to watch as a child because my parents decided it had racist stereotypes. Watching it later, I discovered it was simply bleh: it's nowhere near as funny as Dad's Army or early seasons of Hi-de-Hi.
    Although SM Williams has given the Internet a very strong meme:
    "Oh dear, how sad, never mind."

https://tenor.com/view/oh-dear-how-sad-never-mind-battery-sergeant-major-williams-gif-11845032

From memory, I found "It ain't half hot mum" to be rather unfunny as a child, although like many sitcoms it did have its memorable moments. But I think that was because I found it hard to relate to the situation in the sitcom, rather than any incipient wokeness in me.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    edited July 2022
    Comedy dates. That’s my takeaway from this. It dates faster than milk on a hot sunny doorstep

Father Ted is maybe an exception. Blackadder (in part). Bits of Fawlty Towers
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Father Ted also contains the single best Radiohead gag:

https://youtu.be/5-ManI1H9vA

That sums up perfectly why I don't listen to Radiohead!
  • Options
    It's very dated now but to be fair Men Behaving Badly was quite funny in the 1990s.

It was very laddish though, and of it's time. Wouldn't fly now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    There is now video of the hallway during the Texas mass shooting.

https://twitter.com/chron/status/1546981730355142657
    Within three minutes of Ramos' arrival, eight officers are seen in the halls outside the classroom where the attack is taking place.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

carnforth said:

My favourite two sitcoms, ones I can watch time and time again:

'Spaced' and 'Two pints of Lager'.

Both genius pieces of work, although the latter declines after the fourth or fifth series. I'd also love to see the rumoured revisiting of it, with the characters older and not much wiser...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Blackadder
    Fawltey Towers
    Father Ted
    Dad's Army
    Yes Minister
    Father Ted
    Blackadder
    Red Dwarf
    Peep Show
    The Conservative Party
    The Detectorists
    I couldn't decide whether to make number five Yes Minister or Red Dwarf, but went with the former because I still watch it today.
    Reggie Perrin season 1,2 just missed the list, speaks to my repressed commuter soul. The Detectorists is pure joy, representing England at its best.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Just to clarify today's vote: everyone with fewer than 30 votes gets eliminated, and the person with fewest votes is out even if they have more than that threshold, right?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    Cummings has made some weird pro Russia comments lately.
    Perhaps the Ukrainians are right to be worried about Boris Johnson being forced out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

There is now video of the hallway during the Texas mass shooting.

https://twitter.com/chron/status/1546981730355142657
    Within three minutes of Ramos' arrival, eight officers are seen in the halls outside the classroom where the attack is taking place.

… Uvalde residents react after the mayor and a city council member called journalists "chickenshit" for releasing security camera footage from Robb Elementary…
    … The mayor of Uvalde says he can't comment on whether the police acted properly because "I haven't seen the video yet" and then proceeds to praise the courage of one of the officers based on ... what he saw in the video

https://twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh/status/1547003518170677256

This isn’t going away as national news.
    There is a slim chance it might shift the politics on guns, and policing.

• Options
    darkage said:

Perhaps the Ukrainians are right to be worried about Boris Johnson being forced out.

He likes to see himself as a hyper-realist

He’s saying the Ukrainian war cannot be “won”. And let’s face it he’s right, if we define “winning” as pushing Russia back to the pre-war borders - let alone retaking Crimea

This does not mean we appease Putin tho. Is he saying that? If he is, he’s wrong. The only choice - and it’s a grim choice - is to do what we’re doing. Grind Russia down. Limit its ambitions. Cut it out of the system

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

That's a good article.

The article does call out It Ain't Half Hot Mum, though: "Hilariously Mordaunt describes It Ain’t Half Hot Mum as “a full-house bingo card of… casual racism, homophobia, white privilege, colonialism, transphobia, bullying, misogyny and sexual harassment”.

And her book ends there. There's no nuance or caveats. David Croft and Jimmy Perry were comedy geniuses - not bigots who wanted us all to laugh at minorities.

I think the article's conclusion is right: it's common amongst trendy politicians desperate to "display their progressive credentials — making a confident pronouncement of hate or love about some cultural artefact in the mistaken belief it will make you look hip. David Cameron’s toe-curling profession of love of The Smiths, Gordon Brown’s for the Arctic Monkeys, or Jeremy Corbyn pretending to watch Eastenders."

To be, the most serious failing is it shows Mordaunt hasn't thought deeply about this- she just accepts the orthodox shibboleths.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Comedy dates. That’s my takeaway from this. It dates faster than milk on a hot sunny doorstep

My children (12 and 14) find Blackadder II and Fawlty Towers to be very funny. (My 12 year son's favourite movie is The Life of Brian.)

But they would find The Good Life or Ever Decreasing Circles or From the Manor Born utterly tedious.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

carnforth said:

Both genius pieces of work, although the latter declines after the fourth or fifth series. I'd also love to see the rumoured revisiting of it, with the characters older and not much wiser...
    I agree Two pints of Lager is better than it's given credit for.

Assessments of it are probably held back by snobbery, to be fair.
  • Options
    Large dump in Luhansk goes up.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1546991699246858242

First time Ukraine has hit anything there, I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

My children (12 and 14) find Blackadder II and Fawlty Towers to be very funny. (My 12 year son's favourite movie is The Life of Brian.)

But they would find The Good Life or Ever Decreasing Circles or From the Manor Born utterly tedious.
    My daughter thought The Death of Stalin was brilliant, so maybe she'd like Yes Minister.
  • Options
    ping said:

I’ve cashed out the other half of my Badenoch bet. I may come to regret it, but right now I don’t think there’s any value at all in her current odds.

I've laid her down so she's equal to Penny.

I bought her cheaply so I'm not going to kill my whole position for the sake of £30 quid extra, particularly since I don't know what will happen next.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

They have exceptional taste! Those are the only sitcoms that have lasted. The rest are faded dross, perhaps funny to the weak minded at the time
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Last of the Summer Wine seemed to be extremely popular for decades for reasons I couldn't quite fathom.
  • Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

He likes to see himself as a hyper-realist

He’s saying the Ukrainian war cannot be “won”. And let’s face it he’s right, if we define “winning” as pushing Russia back to the pre-war borders - let alone retaking Crimea

This does not mean we appease Putin tho. Is he saying that? If he is, he’s wrong. The only choice - and it’s a grim choice - is to do what we’re doing. Grind Russia down. Limit its ambitions. Cut it out of the system

I think Cummings is wrong.

Military adventures - like the Russians in Afghanistan - quite often lead to regime change.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Last of the Summer Wine seemed to be extremely popular for decades for reasons I couldn't quite fathom.
    It wasn't very funny.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

They have exceptional taste! Those are the only sitcoms that have lasted. The rest are faded dross, perhaps funny to the weak minded at the time
    One of my children (who shall remain nameless) actually wet themselves during a Fawlty Towers episode.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

carnforth said:

I agree Two pints of Lager is better than it's given credit for.

Assessments of it are probably held back by snobbery, to be fair.
    Two pints was created by a young woman whilst she was at secondary school in the same area the show was set in. As a consequence it feels genuine, as if she had experienced some of the comedy she was writing.

Compare with many of the other shows mentioned, written by old hands in the industry. Croft and Perry, for instance.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Familiarity. Complete escapism

It never challenged you or broke taboos. It was never unexpectedly clever or - heaven forbid - biting. It was the same characters doing the same thing again and again. That can be pleasing, certainly consoling. For half an hour it was basically unfunny but predictably, likeably whimsical, a harmless world to inhabit

For people with shit lives that’s no small thing. I wonder if many video games play the same role now

This discussion has been closed.