Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So now it is down to 8 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    It is hard to overstate how dumb the contract Musk signed. It is super dumb.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Can someone explain to me why BlowJo has overturned the Erskine May convention and is refusing parliamentary time to debate a confidence motion he would win?

It has already been explained many times

Starmer tabled a motion that contained conditional language. That, as laid out by the library of the House, does not meet the threshold necessary to be granted a debate.

It was a valid motion but not worded in such a way as to trigger a debate as per the convention. (This also happened in 2018 when a Corbyn motion was not debated)

The government informed Starmer that all he needed to do was table a motion using the standard language and a debate would be granted without question.

No such motion has yet to be tabled.

Starmer, as a lawyer, should understand the need for the right form of language.
    It's only the government's opinion that the right form of language has not been used.

If the government can decide whether or not to allow a given confidence motion, we are in murky territory.
    Backed up by the opinion of the Library of the House who know more about this than any of us here. And I do trust them.

The solution is very simple. Starmer tables the standard motion and he gets the debate

I don't understand why he isn't doing just that.
    In 1965 Sir Alec Douglas-Home (Con) was allowed this form of words "That this House deplores the hasty and ill-considered actions of Her Majesty's Government during their first hundred days of office and has no confidence in their ability to conduct the nation's affairs."

In 1972 Peter Shore (Lab ) was allowed this form of words "That this House condemns the action of Her Majesty's Government in framing its European Communities Bill with the intention of removing the possibility of substantial amendment; and considers this to be a gross breach of faith in the light of undertakings previously given that the Bill and the Treaties could be fully discussed."

There is no standard form of words that has to be used.
    The idea that you can’t question by vote in the Commons the position of a PM who has been rejected by his own party, but nonetheless remains in post for potentially months, seems pretty dodgy to me. FWIW.
    And sets a very poor precedent.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited July 2022

The most incongruous religious connection is that of Suella - she’s a Buddhist who goes around being mean and rather unkind to those less fortunate than herself. I would have thought that was entirely counter to the teachings of her creed?

Buddhism is many things. But it certainly isn't about being nice.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    The forum that will decide the matter of Twitter v Musk (or is it other way around?) will be the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware. An equity court, and the top one in USA for determination of complex corporate civil suits.

Very interesting article in NYT on this.

Twitter (or Musk?) is registered in Dover under the corporate laws of Delaware. Like most corporations on the face of earth, apparently.

When I was a lad, one of my favorite gags from "Get Smart" was when, at the end of a rouge TV broadcast threatening world destruction by global criminal conspiracy "KAOS" unless mega-billions were paid in ransom, the bad-guy announcer signed off with -

"This warning comes to you from KAOS - a Delaware corporation".
  • Options

The most incongruous religious connection is that of Suella - she’s a Buddhist who goes around being mean and rather unkind to those less fortunate than herself. I would have thought that was entirely counter to the teachings of her creed?

Fun fact - Nixon was a Quaker.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603
    Important they do this and keep looking for opportunities to announce policies.

The Tory leadership contest gives blanket coverage to the personalities and their ideas, however mad some of them may be. It’s at moments like this that the old Overton window gets shifted and new consensuses pop up regardless of their merits. Labour will need to make a lot of noise to stop Tory ideas taking over the airwaves.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not surprised about Kemi and net zero. She comes across as a very tribal, hyper political politician. Obviously that might appeal to Conservatives in this campaign, but it creates blind spots and is not a great quality for a PM.

I don't think she's half as formidable as her backers think she is. She'll also undoubtedly be accused of being Gove's puppet.
    The whole thing is bonkers. She is not experienced enough to take over in the middle of an economic crisis the like o which we have not seen in decades and with a war in eastern europe that could drag on for years.

She is utterly untested at high office and Tories who think she is ready need to go and take a long cold non-alcoholic drink and get a fecking grip.

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.
    You're shitting yourself about Kemi v Keir
    I assure you that I am not. I can see why she appeals to some Tories though, much as Corbyn appealed to some Labourites. But like Corbyn that appeal is narrow and the lack of any leadership experience is a critical weakness.
    Mordaunt is who Starmer and Labour fear most, I reckon. Followed by either Sunak or Tugendhat. After Braverman and Cosplay Thatcher, Badenoch is probably who they most would want to succeed Johnson.
    I think the Labour Party would most want Braverman to win.
    Champagne corks popping in Labour HQ - Braverman, Zahawi

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Neutral - Rishi/Tugendhat

Nervous - Penny

WTF is going to happen? - Badenoch
    Yep, that's a good analysis

Perhaps a bit more WTF and *actual panic* with Badenoch: how on earth would Labour, and the wider Left, deal with a young black female rightwing Tory leader? How? I can't see any attack lines, prima facie
    Badenoch could be an enormous success, or a terrible failure - we simply don't know enough about her yet to be sure. I could see her leading the Conservatives to a 100 seat majority... or their worst result since 2001.

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    She really needs to run a big department. Where she can deal with the practicalities rather than just the theory of slash the State.
    In view of the conversation tonight I would suggest education as a good place to start.
    She might even learn some things.
    Or perhaps not.
    (Wikipedia) … was also a school governor at St Thomas the Apostle College in Southwark, and the Jubilee Primary School.…

Badenoch is a devout Roman Catholic
    Ms Badenoch was born in Wimbledon and brought up in Nigeria, the 42-year-old describes herself as a 'cultural Christian' and has a range of faith traditions to draw upon.
    https://premierchristian.news/en/news/article/former-faith-minister-catholic-mp-in-running-to-replace-boris-johnson

Dawkins describes himself as a Cultural Christian
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christians
    Well either way she will get knocked out before the final round and I am backing Tugendhat who actually is a Roman Catholic
    You seem to be assuming that Tugendhat will go further in this contest than Badenoch.
    He will, the right vote is currently split between Badenoch, Braverman and Zahawi and Truss and Hunt will probably go out tomorrow and many of his supporters go to Tugendhat who should come 3rd tomorrow.

Sunak will then lend some of his supporters to Tugendhat to try and get Tugendhat as his opponent in the membership vote
    Isn’t that a bit dangerous . Couldn’t it backfire .
    It may be the only way Sunak can win the membership vote
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    dixiedean said:

My shallow understanding of Buddhism has been blown apart by your comment.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So they'll have to produce the data on bots to prove he had no right to withdraw ftom the offer.
    Thickos.
    Elon Musk didn't pull out of buying Twitter because of bots, he pulled out because Tesla stock has lost almost half its value, and that meant he'd have to pledge very large amounts of it to his bankers.

Thats not the reason he gave to the SEC, even if its really why. If Twitter want their compensation theyll have to provide the data he says was withheld
    Why?
    Well presumably if he claims they are in material breach because x, they need to demonstrate not x.
    If he claims they are run by shape-shifting space aliens do they have to prove they aren't?

They have been saying to the SEC for years now what the bot levels are. Musk hasn't said they are faking their revenue and profits - so if bots actually make up 50% of Twitter users not 5% that's actually good for Twitter and any potentisl buyer because that means their users are twice as valuable as they said.

Musk has to prove Material Adverse Affect. Twiiter are holding him to a contract he has freely signed. Getting the exact number of bots wrong is not Material Adverse Affect.

Delaware courts take a dim view of people trying to get out of purchase agreements.

https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1546911482780291073?t=Usjb_nnNE8e3deogAoBJzg&s=09
    Well then we can all sit back and enjoy the court case and outcome.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Inflation declining in the US? "For the fourth straight week, the nation’s average gas price has fallen, declining 12.8 cents from a week ago to $4.66 per gallon today according to GasBuddy data compiled from more than 11 million individual price reports covering over 150,000 gas stations across the country. The national average is down 34.4 cents from a month ago and $1.54 per gallon higher than a year ago. The national average price of diesel has declined 8.5 cents in the last week and stands at $5.65 per gallon.

“The national average has declined for 27 days straight, or four weeks, the longest decline in average gas prices since the pandemic started in 2020. Average gas prices are down nearly 40 cents, with Americans shelling out $140 million less on gasoline every day than they did a month ago,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "
    source: https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/gas-price-decline-accelerates-steepest-since-pandemic-began

Will the decline continue? De Haan admits he doesn't know.

Tomorrow the UD Bureau of Labor Statistics will release the June CPI estimate, giving us an overall measure.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So they'll have to produce the data on bots to prove he had no right to withdraw ftom the offer.
    Thickos.
    Elon Musk didn't pull out of buying Twitter because of bots, he pulled out because Tesla stock has lost almost half its value, and that meant he'd have to pledge very large amounts of it to his bankers.

Thats not the reason he gave to the SEC, even if its really why. If Twitter want their compensation theyll have to provide the data he says was withheld
    No they don't - the *only* reason that Elon is allowed to walk away and not pay is a Material Adverse Event.

And there hasn't been one of them.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

It was 'disingenuous' of David Cameron to claim the UK could have vetoed Turkey joining the EU, believes Tory leadership contender Penny Mordaunt.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1546931094238412800

We're going through the greatest hits. Now onto Brexit.

Penny has just gone down in my estimation.
    I think she handled the question quite well.

The wider point is that there was (and is) a lot of EU policy that absolutely depended on national Governments' willingness to implement it, without demur, and often surreptitiously. So you could say 'the UK has a veto' knowing full well that the Government would never use its veto. But we weren't given a referendum on ending supine national Governments, we were given one on ending our membership of the EU.
    Drivel.

We had a veto on Turkish accession, and Penny said we didn’t. She was at best mistaken.
    Wow, suddenly pointing out that Greensill Dave was a lying, smarmy, duplicitous bastard makes you a bad person, does it?

I don't get this at all. If her point is true (and it is not denied) that the fop had given an undertaking not to veto, it was grossly misleading of him to say We have a veto and not follow up with Though admittedly I personally am estopped from exercising it, and my successors might also be embarrassed by my undertaking. Leave was wrong and dishonest, but let's not forget the appalling patronising dishonesty emanating from the remainariat at all times in general, and over Turkey in particular.
    Uncharacteristically obtuse from you.
    I criticised Cameron’s disingenuity upthread, but the issue is whether Penny was correct or not.

She was incorrect (and possibly lying) then, she must certainly be lying now as she has been asked about it many times subsequently.
    I took that clip as conceding a de jure veto, but saying de facto unexerciseable. which comes to the same thing as, no veto. This is a quibble.
    No. Cameron could have reversed his decision. There was nothing to stop him doing so, therefore the veto existed.

The capability existed regardless of stated intention, therefore for Ms Mordaunt to say it did not means, to me at least, that she was lying.

And personally, after Boris and Trump, I have had enough of brazen liars at the top of politics
    Well if she's lost Bev, I see no reason for Penny to continue.
    Can I infer from your comment that you would be happy to endorse someone who seems to be an open liar?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814

The Buddhists who run Myanmar aren't particularly nice.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

@justinbaragona
    Jake Tapper: "One doesn’t have to be brilliant to attempt a coup."

John Bolton: "I disagree with that. As somebody who has helped plan coups d’état, not here, but other places; it takes a lot of work."

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1546955197045415936

Takes a lot of work to make them successful. Half arsed coups presumably get throttled (perhaps literally) often. But it is a bold admission from him.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Mine too.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    What is Gove doing?

Cummings seems to be supporting Sunak. Is Gove trying to split the anti Sunak vote? Or does he genuinely believe in Kemi? Perhaps as much as we would all love to believe it there may be no Murdoch/Gove/Cummings alliance.

I disagree that Gove is easily expendable. They need competent Brexiteers and there aren't that many of them.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I just had a look at Linkedin. People are venting their fury about Braverman and Badenoch. How can it be possible that they are opposed to net zero! How can they even be allowed to be candidates! ... There was similar fury about the supreme court overturning Roe v Wade. People were going around building "firewalls" around themselves, cancelling their professional contacts who, however cautiously, expressed a different view.

Linkedin used to be where you could find some sanity. Now it is just no different really to facebook. Social media has just made everyone mad. It is all tribal mob rule. Meaningful debate is completely dead.

Depends who you follow, there are plenty of Conservatives on social media, even Twitter
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Surely Sunak and Tugendhat don't have enough votes between them to get Tugendhat to the Final - even if Rishi lent Tom all his surplus votes (which he won't - as he can't cut it too fine and also he'll want to be clearly in the lead).
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thickos.

No they don't - the *only* reason that Elon is allowed to walk away and not pay is a Material Adverse Event.

And there hasn't been one of them.
    Fair enough, ill just enjoy from afar with my popcorn
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thickos.

The people trying to make out Musk is a super genius playing 12-d chess rather rather an impulsive shit talker with a habit of pretending to buy companies have rather too much of their own self worth wrapped up in the Cult of Musk.

Musk's withdrawl letter was risible, the onus is not on Twitter to show numbers about bots, it is on Musk to prove there is a latent, hitherto undiscovered, Material Adverse Affect that gets him out of the deal.

He literally stated one of the reasons he was buying the company was to fix "the bot problem"
    He signed a purchase agreement which made him legally liable for specific performance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_performance

In this case, that’s stupidity, not genius.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022

She reminds me of Cristin Milioti’s Kathy Flowers 🤭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXZFy6YVrU
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Can someone explain to me why BlowJo has overturned the Erskine May convention and is refusing parliamentary time to debate a confidence motion he would win?

It has already been explained many times

Starmer tabled a motion that contained conditional language. That, as laid out by the library of the House, does not meet the threshold necessary to be granted a debate.

It was a valid motion but not worded in such a way as to trigger a debate as per the convention. (This also happened in 2018 when a Corbyn motion was not debated)

The government informed Starmer that all he needed to do was table a motion using the standard language and a debate would be granted without question.

No such motion has yet to be tabled.

Starmer, as a lawyer, should understand the need for the right form of language.
    It's only the government's opinion that the right form of language has not been used.

If the government can decide whether or not to allow a given confidence motion, we are in murky territory.
    Backed up by the opinion of the Library of the House who know more about this than any of us here. And I do trust them.

The solution is very simple. Starmer tables the standard motion and he gets the debate

I don't understand why he isn't doing just that.
    In 1965 Sir Alec Douglas-Home (Con) was allowed this form of words "That this House deplores the hasty and ill-considered actions of Her Majesty's Government during their first hundred days of office and has no confidence in their ability to conduct the nation's affairs."

In 1972 Peter Shore (Lab ) was allowed this form of words "That this House condemns the action of Her Majesty's Government in framing its European Communities Bill with the intention of removing the possibility of substantial amendment; and considers this to be a gross breach of faith in the light of undertakings previously given that the Bill and the Treaties could be fully discussed."

There is no standard form of words that has to be used.
    Why are you ignoring the use of conditional language that is reason for refusing a debate? That is the key to all this

Neither of the examples you give are in anyway relevant as they don't contain conditional language.

It really is very simple.

You seem a teeny weeny little bit obsessed with this.
    Its an argument about parliamentary procedure - naturally the answers will come down to arcane arguments about precedents and precision.

At the very least it seems there is an arguable point, and even if it is wrong, the aggrieved party have a means of bypassing it if they wish to challenge the playing of silly buggers. If the blocker says 'You cannot do X, you must do Y' the solution is pretty obvious, and one they cannot stymie further.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291

Hurrah!

I am now all green on the final eight with a minimum win of a decent curry for two.

Mordaunt remains my big pay day win.

I hope you win it
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    darkage said:

I just had a look at Linkedin. People are venting their fury about Braverman and Badenoch. How can it be possible that they are opposed to net zero! How can they even be allowed to be candidates! ... There was similar fury about the supreme court overturning Roe v Wade. People were going around building "firewalls" around themselves, cancelling their professional contacts who, however cautiously, expressed a different view.

Linkedin used to be where you could find some sanity. Now it is just no different really to facebook. Social media has just made everyone mad. It is all tribal mob rule. Meaningful debate is completely dead.

I cannot imagine discussing politics on LinkedIn. Unless, I worked in politics.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MikeL said:

Surely Sunak and Tugendhat don't have enough votes between them to get Tugendhat to the Final - even if Rishi lent Tom all his surplus votes (which he won't - as he can't cut it too fine and also he'll want to be clearly in the lead).

They do I would think. I would have thought by the final 4 candidates Sunak + Tugendhat combined would be just over 50% of Tory MPs
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Even if it was, being horrible to people is not generally a part of most religious creeds but it has never stopped people entirely.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Interesting pitch for Kemi. The country is in total shit and she offers something different most of all a non-PPE degree and STEM background so she can analyse the whole mess properly and act:

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood
    🧵The Tories face perhaps the most important #LeadershipContest in almost half a century. The candidates are either second rate avatars for the triple liberal consensus (in social, economic and foreign policies) that has led us down a catastrophic cul-de-sac, or are...[1/n]

https://twitter.com/admcollingwood/status/1546970600111017988
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

The Tory leadership contest gives blanket coverage to the personalities and their ideas, however mad some of them may be. It’s at moments like this that the old Overton window gets shifted and new consensuses pop up regardless of their merits. Labour will need to make a lot of noise to stop Tory ideas taking over the airwaves.
    Labour are not going to get a hearing from the media while this contest continues and then it will be all about the cabinet

Labour's first realistic opportunity will be their party conference on the 25th September
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

darkage said:

LinkedIn in 2022 unfortunately has absolutely nothing to do with work, and almost all posts are virtue signalling politics, or karma farming "i suffered from depression or a disability or whatever but look at me now smiling having beaten adversity to become a low level drone in sector 7G, etc".

It is the most depressing place on earth, and surely evidence that 99% of humans are actually NPCs.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

It was 'disingenuous' of David Cameron to claim the UK could have vetoed Turkey joining the EU, believes Tory leadership contender Penny Mordaunt.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1546931094238412800

We're going through the greatest hits. Now onto Brexit.

Penny has just gone down in my estimation.
    I think she handled the question quite well.

The wider point is that there was (and is) a lot of EU policy that absolutely depended on national Governments' willingness to implement it, without demur, and often surreptitiously. So you could say 'the UK has a veto' knowing full well that the Government would never use its veto. But we weren't given a referendum on ending supine national Governments, we were given one on ending our membership of the EU.
    Drivel.

We had a veto on Turkish accession, and Penny said we didn’t. She was at best mistaken.
    Wow, suddenly pointing out that Greensill Dave was a lying, smarmy, duplicitous bastard makes you a bad person, does it?

I don't get this at all. If her point is true (and it is not denied) that the fop had given an undertaking not to veto, it was grossly misleading of him to say We have a veto and not follow up with Though admittedly I personally am estopped from exercising it, and my successors might also be embarrassed by my undertaking. Leave was wrong and dishonest, but let's not forget the appalling patronising dishonesty emanating from the remainariat at all times in general, and over Turkey in particular.
    Uncharacteristically obtuse from you.
    I criticised Cameron’s disingenuity upthread, but the issue is whether Penny was correct or not.

She was incorrect (and possibly lying) then, she must certainly be lying now as she has been asked about it many times subsequently.
    I took that clip as conceding a de jure veto, but saying de facto unexerciseable. which comes to the same thing as, no veto. This is a quibble.
    No. Cameron could have reversed his decision. There was nothing to stop him doing so, therefore the veto existed.

The capability existed regardless of stated intention, therefore for Ms Mordaunt to say it did not means, to me at least, that she was lying.

And personally, after Boris and Trump, I have had enough of brazen liars at the top of politics
    Well if she's lost Bev, I see no reason for Penny to continue.
    Can I infer from your comment that you would be happy to endorse someone who seems to be an open liar?
    I don't accept the open liar designation, but I accept that Penny has flaws - flaws that have not currently shown themselves at anywhere near the level that would make me think she's not a great candidate.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

darkage said:

Indeed, Facebook is for family and friends, Instagram for celebs, LinkedIn for work contacts, Twitter for politics
  • Options

darkage said:

Why would anyone discuss politics on there?!
  • Options

What is Gove doing?

Cummings seems to be supporting Sunak. Is Gove trying to split the anti Sunak vote? Or does he genuinely believe in Kemi? Perhaps as much as we would all love to believe it there may be no Murdoch/Gove/Cummings alliance.

I disagree that Gove is easily expendable. They need competent Brexiteers and there aren't that many of them.

Splitting the anti-Sunak vote doesn't matter terribly much at this stage in the contest. Sunak is very likely to be one candidate going to members, and there will be one anti-Sunak candidate up against him. Indeed, to the extent that there is a slim possibility Sunak doesn't make the members' ballot, it is precisely because the anti-Sunak vote is both split and large amongst MPs.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Samsara is shit.
    We are born in blood and screams. We age, get sick and then die. In that order if we are fortunate.
    That's it. What we do in between determines just how bad it will be next time. There is a minuscule chance we will be reborn human.
    So. We try to be kind. As this determines our rebirth. But being kind doesn't mean suffering fools or telling folk what they want to hear.
    Being "nice" is a platitude.
    Sort out your mind and your delusions that this is real. Shape up and wake up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

They do I would think. I would have thought by the final 4 candidates Sunak + Tugendhat combined would be just over 50% of Tory MPs
    It doesn’t concern you at all that Tom’s launch bombed today, with many of us giggling at how weird and hopeless he is at public speaking?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006

Interesting pitch for Kemi. The country is in total shit and she offers something different most of all a non-PPE degree and STEM background so she can analyse the whole mess properly and act:

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood
    🧵The Tories face perhaps the most important #LeadershipContest in almost half a century. The candidates are either second rate avatars for the triple liberal consensus (in social, economic and foreign policies) that has led us down a catastrophic cul-de-sac, or are...[1/n]

Definitely appeals to the demographic of logorrhoea cases with slaveowner / imperialist Twitter profile pics. (Which doesn't mean she can't win.)
  • Options
    "Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

One senior backbench MP who was in the room for the Common Sense group hustings tells me how Tom Tugendhat "completely fluffed" his answer to a question about Europe. "He was all about European team work and that fell flat on an audience that was full of Brexiteers," they said."

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/status/1546954929033601024
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood

Since she already demonstrated she can’t analyse the systems in a single classroom, I’m just a little bit sceptical about that claim.

i.e. she’s talking shite.

She might improve after a spell as a minister, possibly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not surprised about Kemi and net zero. She comes across as a very tribal, hyper political politician. Obviously that might appeal to Conservatives in this campaign, but it creates blind spots and is not a great quality for a PM.

I don't think she's half as formidable as her backers think she is. She'll also undoubtedly be accused of being Gove's puppet.
    The whole thing is bonkers. She is not experienced enough to take over in the middle of an economic crisis the like o which we have not seen in decades and with a war in eastern europe that could drag on for years.

She is utterly untested at high office and Tories who think she is ready need to go and take a long cold non-alcoholic drink and get a fecking grip.

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.
    I assure you that I am not. I can see why she appeals to some Tories though, much as Corbyn appealed to some Labourites. But like Corbyn that appeal is narrow and the lack of any leadership experience is a critical weakness.
    Mordaunt is who Starmer and Labour fear most, I reckon. Followed by either Sunak or Tugendhat. After Braverman and Cosplay Thatcher, Badenoch is probably who they most would want to succeed Johnson.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Perhaps a bit more WTF and *actual panic* with Badenoch: how on earth would Labour, and the wider Left, deal with a young black female rightwing Tory leader? How? I can't see any attack lines, prima facie
    Badenoch could be an enormous success, or a terrible failure - we simply don't know enough about her yet to be sure. I could see her leading the Conservatives to a 100 seat majority... or their worst result since 2001.

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    She really needs to run a big department. Where she can deal with the practicalities rather than just the theory of slash the State.
    In view of the conversation tonight I would suggest education as a good place to start.
    Or perhaps not.
    (Wikipedia) … was also a school governor at St Thomas the Apostle College in Southwark, and the Jubilee Primary School.…

Ms Badenoch was born in Wimbledon and brought up in Nigeria, the 42-year-old describes herself as a 'cultural Christian' and has a range of faith traditions to draw upon.
    https://premierchristian.news/en/news/article/former-faith-minister-catholic-mp-in-running-to-replace-boris-johnson

Well either way she will get knocked out before the final round and I am backing Tugendhat who actually is a Roman Catholic
    What is it with your obsession with Roman Catholics?
    I would prefer a committed Christian PM, whatever denomination
    Lots of committed Christians in Parliament, of course. Would you prefer Canterbury or York?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

LinkedIn in 2022 unfortunately has absolutely nothing to do with work, and almost all posts are virtue signalling politics, or karma farming "i suffered from depression or a disability or whatever but look at me now smiling having beaten adversity to become a low level drone in sector 7G, etc".

It is the most depressing place on earth, and surely evidence that 99% of humans are actually NPCs.
    I've used it fairly well to keep in contact with some people I used to work with, which has the potential to help me get work in the future.

I just can't imagine using it in any other way. Why would I want to put off people who might offer me a job by getting into an argument with them about politics?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

One senior backbench MP who was in the room for the Common Sense group hustings tells me how Tom Tugendhat "completely fluffed" his answer to a question about Europe. "He was all about European team work and that fell flat on an audience that was full of Brexiteers," they said."

The horror!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Just watching an old Only Connect on YouTube. And there is a younger Aaron Bell on the screen...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    darkage said:

We have to restore debate by telling the libs to shut up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Indeed, Facebook is for family and friends, Instagram for celebs, LinkedIn for work contacts, Twitter for politics
    And Ravelry for knitting. Though a lot of them are on Instagram too. YouTube is for nerds.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

They would need well over 50% as the other two won't split equally and Sunak must retain a clear lead for momentum purposes.

So it would need to be something like:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

And I'm not sure that's realistic. If the right coalesce around Truss she surely gets over 25%.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Samsara is shit.
    We are born in blood and screams. We age, get sick and then die. In that order if we are fortunate.
    That's it. What we do in between determines just how bad it will be next time. There is a minuscule chance we will be reborn human.
    So. We try to be kind. As this determines our rebirth. But being kind doesn't mean suffering fools or telling folk what they want to hear.
    Being "nice" is a platitude.
    Sort out your mind and your delusions that this is real. Shape up and wake up.
    Oops. I've actually said what I believe.
    Hey ho.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

You seem to be assuming that Tugendhat will go further in this contest than Badenoch.
    He will, the right vote is currently split between Badenoch, Braverman and Zahawi and Truss and Hunt will probably go out tomorrow and many of his supporters go to Tugendhat who should come 3rd tomorrow.

Sunak will then lend some of his supporters to Tugendhat to try and get Tugendhat as his opponent in the membership vote
    For that to work you'd need less than 1/3 of MPs to back the right-wing-positioned person. The right can still muster 1/3 of MPs, can't they???
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

You're going to convert to Catholicism at this rate!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

I find that it has a great function in discussing developments in law and policy in my professional field, but then there is this tsunami of sh*t that just floods over everything. People making absolute idiots of themselves, revealing details about their personal opinions and lives in (what I consider to be) a very unwise manner. It is really depressing that it has gone this way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

The horror!
    Does this explain why he has bombed in betting? Based on nothing more than malicious spin from a rabid brexiteer?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

He doesn't need to win many Brexiteers, they will all be voting for Badenoch, Mordaunt, Truss, Zahawi, Braverman, even Sunak
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

I've used it fairly well to keep in contact with some people I used to work with, which has the potential to help me get work in the future.

I just can't imagine using it in any other way. Why would I want to put off people who might offer me a job by getting into an argument with them about politics?
    Honestly, it beats me.

The annoying thing about LinkedIn is, as far as I know, it promotes popular posts around the network and you can't tune it to only show you posts from people you know.

There was a post I saw on there the other day from a woman who was proudly announcing she was adding "sex worker" to her linkedin job history because sex work was real work, and it was about time blah blah, yadda yadda.

And all I could think was, crikey, I'm not sure I'd employ someone who put "hooker" on their CV. But her post was teeming with likes and bravery and you-go-girls.

The funny thing is, I personally don't have a problem if that was her job for ten years or more, a job's a job. But there is such a thing as a time and a place, such a thing as over sharing...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

It doesn’t concern you at all that Tom’s launch bombed today, with many of us giggling at how weird and hopeless he is at public speaking?
    He spoke fine
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    kle4 said:

Even if it was, being horrible to people is not generally a part of most religious creeds but it has never stopped people entirely.
    Indeed. Funny old thing, religion.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

A sad state of affairs when giving a true answer isn’t the right thing to do.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

If I wasn't Anglican I would be Roman Catholic
  • Options

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

My rule of thumb is that Facebook is for family members who you secretly hate, Instagram is for celebs you secretly hate, LinkedIn is for business associates you secretly hate, and Twitter is for people you are glad you don't know as you secretly hate them.
    What is PB for?

Political associates we openly hate?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

For that to work you'd need less than 1/3 of MPs to back the right-wing-positioned person. The right can still muster 1/3 of MPs, can't they???
    A few rightwing MPs will back Sunak
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

He doesn't need to win many Brexiteers, they will all be voting for Badenoch, Mordaunt, Truss, Zahawi, Braverman, even Sunak
    How many Remainers are left in the Tory party, both in terms of MPs and members?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

Are you not allowed to be both?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood

Since she already demonstrated she can’t analyse the systems in a single classroom, I’m just a little bit sceptical about that claim.

I wouldn’t be bluntly rude as that, and admit a bias I would never vote for her extreme right wing solutions in a million years, but there is a touch of student days politics about her, a sort of self belief that almost comes across a bit self righteousness or “I am morally and intellectually superior”.

Just like Michael Gove in fact! 🙂
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

No, if you are Anglican you are Protestant and also can't take communion therefore in a Roman Catholic church
  • Options
    I come on here expecting insight into frontrunner Chishti's sudden departure from the race, and find virtually no comment whatsoever.

It's like you people are in denial or something.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

The horror!
    Does this explain why he has bombed in betting? Based on nothing more than malicious spin from a rabid brexiteer?
    A large part of the selectorate are of that tendency.

He’s already tried to elide his remain vote with ads saying “I voted to Brexit 18 times”, so this was more a verdict than a misstep by him.

The next leader will require at least the acquiescence of both wings of the party.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"Camilla Turner
    @camillahmturner

How many Remainers are left in the Tory party, both in terms of MPs and members?
    Probably at least 30 to 40% of Tory MPs backed Remain in 2016.

So that could be enough to get to the last 2 if Tugendhat wins the majority of them and at least half of Leave backing Tory MPs vote for Sunak in the final 3.

The ERG would go berserk if the membership were offered Sunak v Tugendhat but their fault for some of their members removing Boris and then splitting their candidates multiple ways
  • Options

I come on here expecting insight into frontrunner Chishti's sudden departure from the race, and find virtually no comment whatsoever.

We are still processing insight into why he entered in the first place.
  • Options

Geniuses are often not understood in their own times.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

LOTO after 2025?

Yeh. May well be.

But now. Nope.

Kemi is the Blue Corbyn.

Pleased - Truss, Hunt

Nervous - Penny

Yes I agree.
    It's the Hail Mary play.
    Or perhaps not.

I think wars were fought over that idea?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603

TimS said:

Labour are not going to get a hearing from the media while this contest continues and then it will be all about the cabinet

Labour's first realistic opportunity will be their party conference on the 25th September
    So they need to disrupt. Do unexpected things, announce policies they know will wind up some of the candidates while secretly appealing to others.

If I were them I would focus on the state of the Heath service and policing remorselessly. For the former a grand plan to reverse the ever increasing waiting times, overflowing A&E, staff shortages, ambulance crisis. For the latter anything half decent to spotlight the fact the Tories seem to forgotten about crime prevention as an issue.
  • Options

The number of colleagues who previously didn’t know who he was or what his name was?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

He spoke fine
    This is one of the few times where it might be relevant to remind you that you voted remain, as did Tugendhat.
    You converted to full on leave, while he appears to have retained some pragmatism. While that’s fine with you, that’s not necessarily the case for the true believers he was trying to appeal to.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood

I wouldn’t be bluntly rude as that, and admit a bias I would never vote for her extreme right wing solutions in a million years, but there is a touch of student days politics about her, a sort of self belief that almost comes across a bit self righteousness or “I am morally and intellectually superior”.

It is almost worth her winning just to see the look on Truss's face.

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

My rule of thumb is that Facebook is for family members who you secretly hate, Instagram is for celebs you secretly hate, LinkedIn is for business associates you secretly hate, and Twitter is for people you are glad you don't know as you secretly hate them.
    What is PB for?

Yet still flirt with?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    I've just read (not realised) that David Davis has endorsed Penny Mordaunt. He's known as an arch-networker, and I think this is extremely encouraging for those who support her.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

He spoke fine
    🤭 . .
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

What is PB for?

Yet still flirt with?
    Goodnight Moon.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

If there's a shift in the Overton window going on and a new consensus emerging it is happening as the Conservative candidates collectively shred any remaining reputation for prudent economic management that their party might once have claimed. In the face of myriad competing policies for unfunded tax cuts, the Conservatives seem hell bent of racking up yet more gazillions in public sector debt while failing to address the pain felt in household budgets by properly targeted measures of alleviation.

Truly the tables of fiscal responsibility seem to have turned, and Reeves speech tomorrow will no doubt ram home that message.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

They would need well over 50% as the other two won't split equally and Sunak must retain a clear lead for momentum purposes.

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

And I'm not sure that's realistic. If the right coalesce around Truss she surely gets over 25%.
    And add in the factor, the second it’s clear Truss is in member ballot with Sunak she gets a pile on of support as the certain winner, many will want or maintain access to the greasy pole.
  • Options
    This sounds trivial but maybe it isn't.

https://unherd.com/thepost/why-does-penny-mordaunt-hate-dads-army/

"Why does Penny Mordaunt hate Dad’s Army?
    This is no laughing matter for the leadership contender"
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Collingwood 🇬🇧
    @admcollingwood

It is almost worth her winning just to see the look on Truss's face.

Aye. There is that. 😆
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kle4 said:

I don't understand what you're saying
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    In college basketball contests in the US, there are stock phrases for the teams left after the first rounds of competition; "Sweet Sixteen", "Final Four", and, though less common, in between those two. the "Elite Eight".

Whether that last phrase is appropriate for these eight is something I will leave to you all.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

Sunak in that scenario would lend a few MPs to Mordaunt and Tugendhat to knock out Truss.

Then Sunak would lend more MPs to Tugendhat in the final round to knock out Mordaunt, expecting to pick up a few Truss backing MPs himself.

Gavin Williamson is running Sunak's campaign in terms of managing MPs support, he already gave Hunt a few MPs to get nominated. If and when Hunt gets knocked out Sir Gavin's cunning masterplan will be to shore up Tugendhat to try and get him to face Sunak in the members vote rather than Truss or Mordaunt

• Options

In college basketball contests in the US, there are stock phrases for the teams left after the first rounds of competition; "Sweet Sixteen", "Final Four", and, though less common, in between those two. the "Elite Eight".

Whether that last phrase is appropriate for these eight is something I will leave to you all.

Execrable
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    edited July 2022

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

And add in the factor, the second it’s clear Truss is in member ballot with Sunak she gets a pile on of support as the certain winner, many will want or maintain access to the greasy pole.
    The impression I get - and I may well be completely misreading this as I am not in the party - is that everyone is fighting to be the second of the two being put forward with Sunak because they know that if they are then chances are they will win. Based on the recent head to heads that were being posted here, Sunak loses against most opposition once the membership get their turn.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

That's what people said about Chishti, but our children and our children's children will recognise his decision for the amazing political move it was.
  • Options
    O/T

Heathrow forecast to be 38 degrees next Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2647216
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

TimS said:

So they need to disrupt. Do unexpected things, announce policies they know will wind up some of the candidates while secretly appealing to others.

If I were them I would focus on the state of the Heath service and policing remorselessly. For the former a grand plan to reverse the ever increasing waiting times, overflowing A&E, staff shortages, ambulance crisis. For the latter anything half decent to spotlight the fact the Tories seem to forgotten about crime prevention as an issue.
    You really do not know the UK media who once have a bone they do not let go

Labour will not get coverage in this election period and anyway Parliament goes into recess a week tomorrow night
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

I ❤️ Dads Army it is the most perfect sitcom ever. There is nowt wrong with it.

I think one of Croft and Perry was actually in a concert party, the other worked in a department store - so its funny as it’s believable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

That's what people said about Chishti, but our children and our children's children will recognise his decision for the amazing political move it was.
    He's playing three dimensional Cluedo
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

Sunak in that scenario would lend a few MPs to Mordaunt and Tugendhat to knock out Truss.

Then Sunak would lend more MPs to Tugendhat in the final round to knock out Mordaunt, expecting to pick up a few Truss backing MPs himself.

Gavin Williamson is running Sunak's campaign in terms of managing MPs support, he already gave Hunt a few MPs to get nominated. If and when Hunt gets knocked out Sir Gavin's cunning masterplan will be to shore up Tugendhat to try and get him to face Sunak in the members vote rather than Truss or Mordaunt

This seems remarkably tricky to get right in secret ballots.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

He played three dimensional Twister. With himself.

And lost.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Eight dimensional peepo.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

The impression I get - and I may well be completely misreading this as I am not in the party - is that everyone is fighting to be the second of the two being put forward with Sunak because they know that if they are then chances are they will win. Based on the recent head to heads that were being posted here, Sunak loses against most opposition once the membership get their turn.
    Truss, Mordaunt and Badenoch beat Sunak in the ConHome survey today but Sunak still narrowly beat Tugendhat.

Hence Sir Gavin's cunning plan will be to get a Sunak v Tugendhat final 2

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

You really do not know the UK media who once have a bone they do not let go

Labour will not get coverage in this election period and anyway Parliament goes into recess a week tomorrow night
    There was some coverage on Sky of Starmer’s Big Levelling speech at Durham. Though it mainly focussed on the fact he called journalists for their question, and they weren’t there.

They filled the empty seats with school children.

I think Starmer used it to say something quite important…

I Can’t remember what that was though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    Andy_JS said:

Never been a fan myself.

My grandfather was in the Wigan Home Guard. They were nearly all miners in reserved occupations and hard as nails.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

Truss, Mordaunt and Badenoch beat Sunak in the ConHome survey today but Sunak still narrowly beat Tugendhat.

Hence Sir Gavin's cunning plan will be to get a Sunak v Tugendhat final 2

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/12/next-tory-leader-run-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/
    I think the only two candidates Sunak would beat with the membership are Tugendhat and Hunt.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Sunak 30
    Tugendhat 25
    Mordaunt 23
    Truss 22

This seems remarkably tricky to get right in secret ballots.
    I really do not put a lot of credence in that - Williamson could not organise a raffle
This discussion has been closed.