Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi now joint favourite to succeed Johnson as PM – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited July 2022 in General
imageRishi now joint favourite to succeed Johnson as PM – politicalbetting.com

So much going on this morning as we await prime Minister’s Questions that is quite hard to piece it all together.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The Speccie’s James Forsythe reports a senior 1922 executive member tells him “they now favour a delegation going to Johnson to tell him that it is over and that they will change the rules to allow another vote if he doesn’t quit”. #MenInGreySuits

They will then be perfectly dressed to go and watch the new minions movie.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Seb Payne tells BBC Politics that he thinks the Queen would block a Johnson rush for a snap election.

Cites the infamous letter to the Times in 1951.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    Interesting, re Rishi. He'd have looked moe principled if he'd gone long ago, but at least he's gone now.

It is possible to be leader after sucking up to a completely terrible leader, of course. Step forward SKS.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Seb Payne tells BBC Politics that he thinks the Queen would block a Johnson rush for a snap election.

Infamous? That's our constitution you are talking about. :D
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,282
    Simon Fell calls for Johnson's resignation
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,900
    Suspect we will see this Reuters pic in a lot of papers tomo. https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1544635318913073152/photo/1

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited July 2022
    This is ludicrous. Even if Tory MPs do force Johnson out, Tory members are not going to elect Sunak to succeed him.

The Conhome head to heads this week had Wallace trouncing Sunak 59% to 25%, Truss beating Sunak 50% to 35%, Mordaunt beating Sunak 58% to 33% and Zahawi beating Sunak 48% to 33%.
    https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/

In last month's Yougov next Tory leader poll of Tory members Sunak had also collapsed to 5th

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/06/06/snap-poll-conservative-members-want-mps-vote-keep-

Even if Sunak got to the final 2 with MPs which is not certain, Tory members would then vote for whichever tax cutting, hard Brexiteer was his opponent.

Sunak's only chance is if Tory MPs put him and Hunt in the final 2 but anti Boris MPs would need at least 250 votes for that which is unlikely
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Perhaps Brenda will decide to "Take Back Control". For her, it only requires one vote ;)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    FPT: I haven't had so much fun since the last time the Tory party was in total disarray. Keep those letters coming!
  • Options
    🔴 Labour is gearing up for a snap election amid talk Boris Johnson could call a quickfire vote to head off rebel Tory MPs who are mounting a fresh bid to oust him from No 10 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/snap-general-election-what-will-call-boris-johnson-confidence/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657104298-1
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

The Speccie’s James Forsythe reports a senior 1922 executive member tells him “they now favour a delegation going to Johnson to tell him that it is over and that they will change the rules to allow another vote if he doesn’t quit”. #MenInGreySuits

They will then be perfectly dressed to go and watch the new minions movie.

"they now favour" conspicuously doesn't say that this is what they will do.
  • Options
    Labour is gearing up for a snap election amid talk Boris Johnson could call a quickfire vote to head off rebel Tory MPs who are mounting a fresh bid to oust him from No 10
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    My bacon sandwich will be ready in time for PMQs. It seemed an appropriate lunch whilst watching the Greased Piglet squirm in the Commons :D:D
  • Options
    I personally think Sajid Javid was yesterday's big winner (and indeed has also risen in the betting). Sunak's flaws as a candidate are as they were yesterday (although 250-1 was still clearly an excellent bet).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    When will Boris Corbyn get to the stage of his kindred spirit Jezza and start appointing one MP to multiple cabinet jobs, due to a lack of available candidates?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    If Carlsberg did FPN, an announcement from Durham Police in the next 30 minutes would be quite a thing.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,088
    HYUFD said:

This is ludicrous. Even if Tory MPs do force Johnson out, Tory members are not going to elect Sunak to succeed him.

The Conhome head to heads this week had Wallace trouncing Sunak 59% to 25%, Truss beating Sunak 50% to 35%, Mordaunt beating Sunak 58% to 33%
    https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/04/next-tory-leader-play-offs-sixth-rishi-sunak/

Surely it depends who the MPs send to the members

eg Hunt v Sunak, Sunak wins, I think?

• Options
    Have any other ministers who anyone has ever heard of resigned since Sajjy and Sunny quit yesterday?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,108

My bacon sandwich will be ready in time for PMQs. It seemed an appropriate lunch whilst watching the Greased Piglet squirm in the Commons :D:D

But - no photographers.....
  • Options

Labour is gearing up for a snap election amid talk Boris Johnson could call a quickfire vote to head off rebel Tory MPs who are mounting a fresh bid to oust him from No 10

The Queen is the ultimate custodian of the constitution, she must act to block this imho.

The Palace are going to absolutely hate getting dragged into all this.
  • Options

Who?
  • Options
    Why @BorisJohnson's lack of honesty on the economy is as dangerous as his lack of honesty about Partygate and Pinchergate.
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nadhim-zahawi-is-already-eyeing-up-the-lifeboats-and-will-leave-boris-johnson-on-his-sinking-ship-1726255
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    On the bright side, Johnson might finally have the time to finish his Shakespeare book.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    6m
    Current feeling is we’re not in the final days, but in the final hours.
  • Options

Have any other ministers who anyone has ever heard of resigned since Sajjy and Sunny quit yesterday?

Alex Chalk. I was friends with his sister at school, so that probably doesn't count.
  • Options

But - no photographers.....
    Now sandwich either. It was too delicious and I pinched bits from the pan so back to square one :disappointed: So tea and toast for watching the Piglet
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🔴 Labour is gearing up for a snap election amid talk Boris Johnson could call a quickfire vote to head off rebel Tory MPs who are mounting a fresh bid to oust him from No 10 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/snap-general-election-what-will-call-boris-johnson-confidence/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1657104298-1

Does anyone think the Tories would go into a snap election with Boris as PM? No.

Would need a coronation, but even that would be preferred.
  • Options
    What is the point of the 1922 Committee having rules if they change them every time they want to eject a PM?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Who?
    100 years ago, few thought that Lloyd George would be succeeded by Stanley Baldwin.
  • Options

Who?
    Barrow and Furness MP. Nice chap.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,987
    Johnson not actually bad in that initial statement. He certainly does not look defeated.
  • Options
    A lot of laughter in the Commons and Boris seems awfully jolly.

Demob happy?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,202
    Glad to see the Big Dog sees there being nothing wrong with a fuckton of cabinet and junior ministers plus PPSs going.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

The Conhome head to heads this week had Wallace trouncing Sunak 59% to 25%, Truss beating Sunak 50% to 35%, Mordaunt beating Sunak 58% to 33%

I'm pretty sure Truss won't be put to the members, in part precisely because she is so inexplicably popular among them (us).

Wallace: I don't really get this obsession. Obviously, he's benefited from recent exposure, being Defence Sec at a time when there's a war on, but he hasn't really done much, has he? I assume that his popularity will fade once the campaign starts properly, even if he gets to the final two.

Mordaunt vs Sunak I agree, would probably result in Sunak losing quite badly (although in as recently as January he'd have been favourite). But he'd still be competitive against a lot of other potential finalists. Remember, the Tory MPs have a history of stage managing the final two to ensure they get the answer they want from the membership.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,888

What is the point of the 1922 Committee having rules if they change them every time they want to eject a PM?

Yep, they had their chance and didn’t take it. Changing the rules because they didn’t like the outcome, is bad faith.

It’s up to the Cabinet now, and the Men In Grey Suits.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

To get to Hunt v Sunak you would need at least 120 MPs for Hunt and 120 MPs for Sunak in the final round. They don't have the numbers, Boris loyalists number at least 120 to 130 likely more and so could ensure one of Wallace, Zahawi or Truss (or Mordaunt if she stays loyal) get to the final 2 to face Hunt or Sunak.

Tory members would then overwhelmingly vote for that candidate over Hunt or Sunak
  • Options

Demob happy?

"I'm enjoying this!" Thatcher was jokingly associated with becoming Governor of the European Central Bank. Which organisation would be suitable for the liar?
  • Options
    It is with a heavy heart that I have this morning tendered my resignation to the Prime Minister. I will not be doing media interviews on this matter. https://twitter.com/Jochurchill_MP/status/1544637770169307137/photo/1
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

The point is to be able to express support or otherwise for the leadership.

If the leadership doesn't take the massive bloody hint that they don't support him, then the rules change to reflect that
  • Options
    "I had meetings with ministerial colleagues ... I shall have further such meetings later today"

Was dead funny today.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Demob happy?

"I'm enjoying this!" Thatcher was jokingly associated with becoming Governor of the European Central Bank. Which organisation would be suitable for the liar?
    Humanity will reach Mars in your lifetime

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1544636989647032321?s=20&t=LMZ34U9_f0v0KbuPdxMaOA
  • Options

Johnson not actually bad in that initial statement. He certainly does not look defeated.

He's going on and on until the 1922 end this.

Even then he wont resign. Does a VONC within tory ranks have legal status?

It will take Tory MPs voting with the Opposition to remove him from office me thinks.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Unfolding events clearly underline my previous judgement that the Prime Minister’s position is untenable.

I urge him to stop rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, and resign with dignity.

https://twitter.com/JulianSturdy/status/1544637691601494017
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    SKS not interested in NI football.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    SKS pathetic
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

The Queen is the ultimate custodian of the constitution, she must act to block this imho.

The Palace are going to absolutely hate getting dragged into all this.
    He can do a snap election or a snap World War III. If she doesn't want her palaces turned into a pile of radioactive dust she'd better give him a snap election.
  • Options
    Johnson just lied to the House surely?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

To get to Hunt v Sunak you would need 120 MPs for Hunt and 120 MPs for Sunak in the final round. They don't have the numbers, Boris loyalists number at least 120 to 130 likely more and so could ensure one of Wallace, Zahawi or Truss (or Mordaunt if she stays loyal) get to the final 2 to face Hunt or Sunak.

Tory members would then overwhelmingly vote for that candidate over Hunt or Sunak
    Fair enough. I bow to your superior knowledge of the Tory party

Wallace would be a calamitous choice, to my mind. The Tories need someone with some va-va-boom to get them out of this deep hole. Wallace is not that, he would lead them to a Major-style defeat, for similar reasons. And he is so boring he would make Starmer look interesting, thus negating a key advantage the Tories have over Labour
  • Options
    Applicant said:

NI is not England
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,686
    Sandpit said:

Yep, they had their chance and didn’t take it. Changing the rules because they didn’t like the outcome, is bad faith.

It’s up to the Cabinet now, and the Men In Grey Suits.
    Anal probing seems a bit OTT, even so.
  • Options
    Absolute silence in the house as Starmer asks if he said "Pincher by Nature"
  • Options
    Starmer doing a good job at getting more letters put in to Brady.....
  • Options

Applicant said:

NI is not England
    Point is, Boris wished both England and NI's women well in the Euros, and SKS didn't.
  • Options

Churchill has resigned! (from DEFRA)

Jo Churchill MP
    @Jochurchill_MP
    It is with a heavy heart that I have this morning tendered my resignation to the Prime Minister. I will not be doing media interviews on this matter.
    https://twitter.com/Jochurchill_MP/status/1544637770169307137
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,686

Demob happy?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1544636989647032321?s=20&t=LMZ34U9_f0v0KbuPdxMaOA
    But will Boris Johnson resign before the first colony ships reach Proxima Centauri?
  • Options

Johnson just lied to the House surely?

I did wonder that...
  • Options
    Starmer not at his best, but then, never interrupt your enemies while they're making a mistake.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    I like the political use of 'I will not trivialise X' meaning 'I do not want to answer'
  • Options
    The house is also largely hearing Johnson silently. The government side I mean...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

I'm pretty sure Truss won't be put to the members, in part precisely because she is so inexplicably popular among them (us).

Wallace: I don't really get this obsession. Obviously, he's benefited from recent exposure, being Defence Sec at a time when there's a war on, but he hasn't really done much, has he? I assume that his popularity will fade once the campaign starts properly, even if he gets to the final two.

Mordaunt vs Sunak I agree, would probably result in Sunak losing quite badly (although in as recently as January he'd have been favourite). But he'd still be competitive against a lot of other potential finalists. Remember, the Tory MPs have a history of stage managing the final two to ensure they get the answer they want from the membership.
    Tory members will vote against Hunt or Sunak, whoever gets to the final round against one of them would now win.

Hunt or Sunak would be the Heseltine or Ken Clarke to Wallace for example as John Major or IDS
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    This is excruciating for Boris Johnson
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,349

Who?
    The Prime Minister.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

He's going on and on until the 1922 end this.

Even then he wont resign. Does a VONC within tory ranks have legal status?

It will take Tory MPs voting with the Opposition to remove him from office me thinks.
    Or the Queen will be forced to fire him once a new Tory leader is installed. But seriously, I don't see even Johnson hanging on for dear life if and when his own MPs give him the boot.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,987

Demob happy?

I'm nearly fifty. I hope I live that long.

Seriously. He needs to get SS into orbit. He needs to recover SH. Then he needs to get flight cadence up high enough to refuel a Mars-bound ship. Then they need life support capable of sustaining the crew for that period (*). They need to perform perfect Entry, Descent and Landing.

even with the progress down in Texas, there're are massive amounts of work left to do. And some of it is *much* harder than the stuff they've already done.

(*) This is perhaps the easiest part, and even then it is difficult.
  • Options

Starmer not at his best, but then, never interrupt your enemies while they're making a mistake.

He's doing well but he really doesn't need to. In some ways a worse performance would be better for Labour.

Anyway, looks like it is over for Johnson. The '22 are about to change the rules. VONC on Monday.
  • Options
    Good performance from Starmer. Not his best but doing well. He does the serious stuff well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    I don't see why Boris heading to the Palace would cause any sort of constitutional issue. He's the PM and the power has been put back to him.

It might cause a slight issue for the Tories as they are absolubtely obliterated (Don't forget we've got the "why did you call an election" -ve effect to play out yet) but constitutionally it looks fine to me and we'll just end up with Starmer PM instead of Mordaunt.
  • Options
    PM summary: "Mr Speaker, never mind the sex assaults, I have saved the country by giving people a fiver a week into their pay packets"

(I see Boris just played the Brexit card)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,349

It is either two days late or a clever attempt to get Boris to fib again because he cannot remember which version is today's.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    41s
    Even Tory MPs shaking their heads at this performance from Boris.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Have grey suited men been seen popping in to Downing Street?
  • Options
    Govey not there, another go at the top job?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Starmer clearly trying to set up the “you didn’t resign soon enough” line against the next PM. Not sure that’s a good tactic.
  • Options
    Feels terminal
  • Options
    Haha. "Charge of the Lightweight Brigade" wasn't a bad pun though.
  • Options
    This is fucking epic. Going off the silence on the Tory benches as Johnson rants on I wonder how many of their MPs are typing their resignations and/or letters to Mrs Brady from the government benches.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

No - he has no shame but it is excruciating for those of us who want decency and integrity
  • Options
    "The Charge of the Lightweight Brigade"

Oh my. That's a killer turn of phrase.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    Starmer not mincing his words about the ‘sexual predator’.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746

On the bright side, Johnson might finally have the time to finish his Shakespeare book.

"an ill-favoured thing, sir, but mine own"
  • Options
    "Charge of the Lightweight Brigade"

That was brilliant :D:D
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Govey not there, another go at the top job?

Good spot
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

Haha. "Charge of the Lightweight Brigade" wasn't a bad pun though.

Funny cos it's true.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

To get to Hunt v Sunak you would need 120 MPs for Hunt and 120 MPs for Sunak in the final round. They don't have the numbers, Boris loyalists number at least 120 to 130 likely more and so could ensure one of Wallace, Zahawi or Truss (or Mordaunt if she stays loyal) get to the final 2 to face Hunt or Sunak.

Fair enough. I bow to your superior knowledge of the Tory party

Wallace would be a calamitous choice, to my mind. The Tories need someone with some va-va-boom to get them out of this deep hole. Wallace is not that, he would lead them to a Major-style defeat, for similar reasons. And he is so boring he would make Starmer look interesting, thus negating a key advantage the Tories have over Labour
    Wallace is competent as he proved over Ukraine, has not been fined unlike Boris or Sunak and being dull as ditchwater would be a bonus if it is decided the Tories no longer want a charismatic leader with a colourful personal life.

If Boris went Wallace would certainly get my vote. He is a traditional Tory and proper Conservative
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,623
    edited July 2022
    @hyufd is right isn't he. Boris isn't going to fall on his sword is he.

Just awful.
  • Options

PM summary: "Mr Speaker, never mind the sex assaults, I have saved the country by giving people a fiver a week into their pay packets"

(I see Boris just played the Brexit card)

And the Corbyn card. Both perfectly valid responses to an attack on integrity, tbf.
  • Options
    Shirley the only way the ‘22 could justify changing the rules is if they have more than 50% of Tory MPs submitting letters?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    The quietness of the Tory benches is really quite something.
  • Options
    The real story will not be SKS today but what happens from his own side
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Demob happy?

I'm nearly fifty. I hope I live that long.

Seriously. He needs to get SS into orbit. He needs to recover SH. Then he needs to get flight cadence up high enough to refuel a Mars-bound ship. Then they need life support capable of sustaining the crew for that period (*). They need to perform perfect Entry, Descent and Landing.

even with the progress down in Texas, there're are massive amounts of work left to do. And some of it is *much* harder than the stuff they've already done.

(*) This is perhaps the easiest part, and even then it is difficult.
    Humanity will never reach Mars, they can't even go to the moon.
  • Options
    Goodness me, Keir doing well now
  • Options

Heathener said:

No - he has no shame but it is excruciating for those of us who want decency and integrity
    Very true
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,552
    The Z-list cast of nodding dogs don't look too happy.
This discussion has been closed.