Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi now joint favourite to succeed Johnson as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,225
    Here we go. Quotes attributed to the PM's team which were lies.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    "Enough is enough."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Where is M Gove
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,436
    Javid stretching 'benefit of the doubt' past breaking point, I think.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

After this debacle his cabinet colleagues must realise that unless they resign their careers are over

I have never seen anything like it. Funereal mood on the Tory benches.
    Cabinet yesterday was much the same.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Record here for most flagged comments? Let's go!

Come on, let it go. You don't want this to escalate until you get another sin bin.
    Meh, if I'm off this site for good I don't much mind anymore, clearly the moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site.

Feel free to ban me, I'm good
    "You don't agree with the moderation" != "he moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site"

I generally think the moderating team do a good job, with a relatively light hand.

(Mods: does this warrant a get-out-of-jail-free card?) ;)
    No I think banning me for using the c word and then not banning Leon is ridiculous. And the same for MoonRabbit who didn't do anything. Yet Leon is allowed to swear day after day.

I stand by what I said - but as a site which isn't democratic I also understand that I have a right to be kicked off. So if they want to kick me off for my views on it then that is also fine - or for anything else. I'll live.
    For God’s sake man, I used an asterisk. I’ve told you umpteen times

The complete uncensored word will likely get you banned. That’s it. That’s the rule. Not complex
    I'm not wanting to get embroiled in other people's arguments but putting an asterisk in there to get away with slinging swear words at someone is pure weaseling.

Anyway, Sajid is on his feet.
    Says the spavined old crone that called me a “thoroughly nasty shit” [...]

PB is fun today
    I didn't actually. I said you can be a thoroughly nasty shit to people on here. That's not at all the same thing as saying you are one.

p.s. I'm not going to raise again the issue of suicidal thoughts that you mentioned in a very heartfelt way.

x
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    "Not doing something is an active decision."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited July 2022

I will find the email but please take this as confirmation I would like my account deleted or permanently banned, whatever is easier @PBModerator.

This site is great but I simply cannot contribute any further, it is too damaging to my mental health and I am not helping anyone else or myself by indulging any further.

Wish you all the best.

Bye, get yourself well
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Javid condemning those who have stayed
  • Options
    To the Cabinet: "Not doing something is an active choice."
  • Options
    This is smoulderingly brutal by Javid.
  • Options
    ping said:

Saj isn’t a great public speaker.

Decent speech, poorly delivered.

Killer speech, soberly delivered.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

This is smoulderingly brutal by Javid.

How can anyone stay in cabinet after this?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936

I'm annoyed with Rory Stewart. IMO he would have made a good PM (orders of magnitude better than Johnson), especially with the trials that have faced our country over the last couple of years. If he was there, as a Conservative MP, there might be a rational choice for a new PM. But he left in a strop.

He considered that (a) he couldn't associate himself with *that* and that there are more important things to do with his life and his talents. Can't fault him.
    Plus I get the impression from what he's said (on the podcast he does with Campbell) about the tory leadership contest he was in that he realized that he doesn't have the political ruthlessness to compete at that level -- that he was kind of shocked and outclassed by the level of maneuvering and dirty tricks the other candidates were using.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    Javid sees a tightrope between loyalty and integrity.

Johnson sees a G-string.
  • Options
    A persuasive pitch somewhat marred by hesitant delivery
  • Options
    ping said:

Saj isn’t a great public speaker.

Decent speech, poorly delivered.

Think it would be utterly devastating if delivered excellently.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Javid destroying Johnson.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    edited July 2022
    Interesting scenario:

Johnson calls a snap election, wins it, but loses his own seat in Uxbridge.

Does he govern the country from the House of Lords?
  • Options
    The Jav with The Jab
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    edited July 2022
    Include the unpaid PPS roles there must be, what, 120 Government jobs? 360 MPs. 30 on Select Committees? Just wondering how many have to announce they are unhappy before he can’t form a Government and whether it’s less the number required to vote no confidence in practice.

I mean, anyone who appointed Dorries as a Secretary of State is clearly already scraping the bottom of the barrel, but that’s still just about inside the barrel. He might now have pushed through the bottom. After all, why would you accept a Government job today? Don’t say no, just don’t answer the phone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Where is M Gove

Dental work.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,382

I will find the email but please take this as confirmation I would like my account deleted or permanently banned, whatever is easier @PBModerator.

This site is great but I simply cannot contribute any further, it is too damaging to my mental health and I am not helping anyone else or myself by indulging any further.

Wish you all the best.

Set your password to something random and do not store the password. Then log out for a final time.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    dixiedean said:

"Not doing something is an active decision."

At this point, if you're in the Cabinet, surely it's an active decision to destroy your political career.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    27s
    Sajid Javid just delivered the coup de grace.
  • Options
    18 payroll Ministers have now quit.
  • Options
    superb ending
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,177
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Come on, let it go. You don't want this to escalate until you get another sin bin.
    Meh, if I'm off this site for good I don't much mind anymore, clearly the moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site.

"You don't agree with the moderation" != "he moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site"

I generally think the moderating team do a good job, with a relatively light hand.

No I think banning me for using the c word and then not banning Leon is ridiculous. And the same for MoonRabbit who didn't do anything. Yet Leon is allowed to swear day after day.

I stand by what I said - but as a site which isn't democratic I also understand that I have a right to be kicked off. So if they want to kick me off for my views on it then that is also fine - or for anything else. I'll live.

The complete uncensored word will likely get you banned. That’s it. That’s the rule. Not complex
    I'm not wanting to get embroiled in other people's arguments but putting an asterisk in there to get away with slinging swear words at someone is pure weaseling.

PB is fun today
    I didn't actually. I said you can be a thoroughly nasty shit to people on here. That's not at all the same thing as saying you are one.

p.s. I'm not going to raise again the issue of suicidal thoughts that you mentioned in a very heartfelt way.

x
    LOL

You dish out abuse and insults, then you get conniptions when anyone takes offence and does it back to you, then within the hour you vomit up platitudes about us all being “nice to each other”. You are fucking ridiculous
  • Options

biggles said:

Heathener said:

p.s. Betfair have just cancelled my cash out on next PM.

They know it's all over.

Oh balls, I just remembered I went all in on Starmer as next PM, with a hedge on Reeves. It was on the basis I could cash out once the PM had a few stable months.

Sigh…
    Muppet! Been telling you for months that Boris would not be the PM going into the next election....
    Spend anything you won off me wisely. I insist on it being squandered on wine, women and song.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    European Parliament Declares Nuclear Power and Gas As 'Green' Energy

Greta isn't going to be happy.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Anyway, off to pick up my son from school. An early finish today.

Made me smile to be described as an 'old crone' and living in a 'Surrey semi'. If only the person in question knew ;)

So it's all down to the 1922, isn't it? Unless Johnson goes to HMQ and asks for a dissolution. Crikey that would set the cat among the pigeons.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Great speech by the Saj.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Where is M Gove

Urgent visit to the dentist for Root canal treatment...
  • Options

Nuclear power is green, but gas?
  • Options
    eek said:

Where is M Gove

Didn't Gordo once go missing at a crucial time to get root canal treatment?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mea culpa for the lies told for Johnson, from Saj

His trouble is he just isn’t quite good enough as a public speaker to take the next step. He clearly wants to, but it’s not quite there. He won’t wear the crown.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Hmm. 1.1 now for a 2022 departure and Starmer down to 13 as next PM. Small changes, but in the other direction.
  • Options

Hmm. 1.1 now for a 2022 departure and Starmer down to 13 as next PM. Small changes, but in the other direction.

Free money on 2022 departure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

PB is fun today

x
    [...]. You are fucking ridiculous
    You can't help yourself, can you? You do this all the time: swearing at people, calling them unintelligent or worse, heaping opprobrium on people.

There's a difference between that and my critiquing your stance on things, albeit it is difficult to keep up with them when they shift around.

Play the ball not the player @Leon. You drag this site down and drive away many good people.
  • Options

eek said:

Where is M Gove

Didn't Gordo once go missing at a crucial time to get root canal treatment?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6428127.stm

Turns out I'm wrong - Major had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    The thing is, Cabinet ministers can't resign after that, after saying they wouldn't and even accepting promotions yesterday. Once you're craven, you're stuck being craven. They have Boris Johnson poisoning. There is no cure.
    https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1544650896205877248
  • Options
    Two more resignations, Andrew and Churchill
  • Options
    Another member of the so-called ‘pork pie plot’ calling for the PM to go https://twitter.com/aliciakearns/status/1544647306309419008
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Penny Mordaunt is now favourite with both the next PM and next Tory leader markets on Betfair Exchange. I think Starmer was favourite on next PM until a few days ago.
  • Options
    We’re joining forces with @TheCrick! We will be setting up a research laboratory to bring together the world-renowned research institute’s expertise with machine learning and AI techniques to advance our understanding of biology.

https://twitter.com/DeepMind/status/1544641653692063745?s=20&t=mXEpQN5l9H1r9c92WNfNOg
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Really cross with myself for not cashing out on next PM. It's now suspended. The markets know the game is up.

Out by Monday night?

I bought two bags of popcorn earlier. Mainly for my son but I might have to dip in :smiley:

Stay well folks. Be nice to one another ... please.

xx
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,436

Chlorine gas?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    MaxPB said:

Can the Tory party get on with this please. Brady needs to change the rules tonight and get the vote done tomorrow.

I do wonder what has happened to the Tories. Say what you like about them, in years past they could always be relied upon efficiently and ruthlessly remove an unwanted PM.

These days, they make Labour look decisive.

Sir Graham Brady Old Lady needs to sort it out, PDQ.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

What is the point of the 1922 Committee having rules if they change them every time they want to eject a PM?

Because no one really believes the rules would actually be followed.
    Any other Conservative Prime Minister who 'won' a VoNC by the margin Johnson did would've resigned. Thatcher did, and Major had his personal limit. May was likewise ultimately forced out even though she won.

The rules should be clarified and improved. Something like:
    15% of letters to trigger a vote.
    If the vote reveals at least (say) 35% have no confidence, then go to a second round allowing alternative leaders to stand (plus the incumbent PM).
    If the vote reveals >50%, then PM out, and another round of votes which the PM can't stand in.

If the Confidence vote is WON by the PM (either outright in round 1, or in round 2) then no further VONC for a year UNLESS Brady gets 50% letters.

The timescale should not be restricted to a year. No PM should ever have the 'luxury' of being safe for a year.
    An old version of the rules did, of course, require a supermajority. That's what did for Thatcher.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    IanB2 said:

It must be getting to the point he cant fill these positions and then it really will be the end
  • Options
    Hugo Rifkind
    @hugorifkind
    ·
    3m
    The thing is, Cabinet ministers can't resign after that, after saying they wouldn't and even accepting promotions yesterday. Once you're craven, you're stuck being craven. They have Boris Johnson poisoning. There is no cure.
  • Options

Reality bites.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Its really not. Asterisks mean its not caught by bots that can have a material effect on advertising etc, that's why its a rule. Asterisks are socially acceptable.
    In that case you can just swap the 'c' in 'c*nt' for a Cyrillic 'с' and the bots won't be butthurt.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Made me smile to be described as an 'old crone' and living in a 'Surrey semi'. If only the person in question knew ;)

So it's all down to the 1922, isn't it? Unless Johnson goes to HMQ and asks for a dissolution. Crikey that would set the cat among the pigeons.

Working out a posters age etc from what they post is fun and not always accurate. @kinabalu posts about 25 years younger than he is, you apparently 25 years older...
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

IanB2 said:

It must be getting to the point he cant fill these positions and then it really will be the end
    He could always fill in with lords? Or, if they aren't interested, appoint new ones?
  • Options

We’re joining forces with @TheCrick! We will be setting up a research laboratory to bring together the world-renowned research institute’s expertise with machine learning and AI techniques to advance our understanding of biology.

https://twitter.com/DeepMind/status/1544641653692063745?s=20&t=mXEpQN5l9H1r9c92WNfNOg

When all is said and done, probably the most significant news of the day.
  • Options
    David David sticking the knife in
  • Options
    Missed PMQ'S.
    Worth catching?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Working out a posters age etc from what they post is fun and not always accurate. @kinabalu posts about 25 years younger than he is, you apparently 25 years older...
    :smiley::wink:
  • Options
    Mr. JS, quite. Religious fanatics might get themselves off running onto racetracks and gluing themselves to artworks, but normal people want the lights to stay on.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Andy_JS said:

Reality bites.
    Isn't Germany is a bit low on Nuclear these days?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

Such a steady stream now that it must be becoming a real challenge to replace them. I suppose when Michael Fabricant is appointed, that will be a kind of four-minute warning.

In fact, is anyone keeping tabs on how many replacements Johnson has managed to find, outside the Cabinet?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    As I see it, the big problem for Boris trying to brazen all this out Trump style, is that he has few serious supporters in the tory party or the wider population. People like Lee Anderson have just deserted him. He is down to Dorries and Rees Mogg. There is no polarisation in the conservative party that he can exploit, in the way that he did over Brexit. He just seems to be dying a slow and painful death. The longer the tories put off acting decisively over the situation, the worse it gets.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Another member of the so-called ‘pork pie plot’ calling for the PM to go https://twitter.com/aliciakearns/status/1544647306309419008

I've had my lunch but now am craving a pork pie.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    biggles said:

When all is said and done, probably the most significant news of the day.
    Plus them hiring Ian Goodfellow. Good news day for DeepMind.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Chlorine gas?
    What, to reduce the population and therefore energy use? I like it. Outside the box thinking.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,177
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

PB is fun today

x
    You can't help yourself, can you? You do this all the time: swearing at people, calling them unintelligent or worse, heaping opprobrium on people.

There's a difference between that and my critiquing your stance on things, albeit it is difficult to keep up with them when they shift around.

Play the ball not the player @Leon. You drag this site down and drive away many good people.
    Jesus F Christ

I’m responding to a comment where you thought it was seemly to reference my suicidality thus:

“p.s. I'm not going to raise again the issue of suicidal thoughts that you mentioned in a very heartfelt way“

So, while pretending to not mention my suicidality you successfully mentioned it again, to needle and insult me. You’re a rancid hypocrite and you smell of cat food. I shall stop now before I lose my temper

• Options
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Mea culpa for the lies told for Johnson, from Saj

His trouble is he just isn’t quite good enough as a public speaker to take the next step. He clearly wants to, but it’s not quite there. He won’t wear the crown.
    The clown is also a poor platform speaker, if a good after dinner one
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Can the Tory party get on with this please. Brady needs to change the rules tonight and get the vote done tomorrow.

I do wonder what has happened to the Tories. Say what you like about them, in years past they could always be relied upon efficiently and ruthlessly remove an unwanted PM.

That's a myth.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

David David sticking the knife in

Otherwise known as David Squared
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,812
    edited July 2022
    Sajid Javid struggled but the points he made re integrity were clear .

The 1922 committee need to act now and help rid the country of the Johnson virus .
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MaxPB said:

It isn't the party its the leader. Any other PM would have resigned before that PMQ having realised they could no carry on.

The rules are being revised because Johnson would not obey the old ones.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

I'm not sure that in the long term, all nuclear can be classified as green. And a lot of biomass is anything but green. Such simplistic designations for whole categories of energy generation don't really work.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Missed PMQ'S.
    Worth catching?

Naah. Boris smashed it out the park, backed by roars of support from the backbenches and cries for more.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There's not much value in previous rebels declaring they want him to go.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

PB is fun today

x

Jesus F Christ

I’m responding to a comment where you thought it was seemly to reference my suicidality thus:

“p.s. I'm not going to raise again the issue of suicidal thoughts that you mentioned in a very heartfelt way“

So, while pretending to not mention my suicidality you successfully mentioned it again, to needle and insult me. You’re a rancid hypocrite and you smell of cat food. I shall stop now before I lose my temper

I know its an exciting day. But can *everyone* take a breath?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Andy_JS said:

Penny Mordaunt is now favourite with both the next PM and next Tory leader markets on Betfair Exchange. I think Starmer was favourite on next PM until a few days ago.

Do you think she should resign or stick with it? Maybe she can remain and be sufficiently distanced from Johnson.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Chlorine gas?
    After seeing the video of the chlorine gas leak at Aqabba port the other day, I;m kind-of squeamish about references to chlorine.

Nasty stuff.
  • Options
    If Javid was just a bit better of bullshitter, I mean public speaker, he might be a good replacement for the Tories. Good inspiring backstory and always been steady in the government roles he has held.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Is Rishi due to make a statement to the house today?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Missed PMQ'S.
    Worth catching?

Naah. Boris smashed it out the park, backed by roars of support from the backbenches and cries for more.
    And then he woke up and it was time to go to the House of Commons...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Just occurred to me that Penny Mordaunt could mess up Labour's well-known advantage with women voters. Especially if she makes a big deal out of things like female-only spaces, while Starmer and Labour prevaricate on the subject.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Two more complete nonentities
  • Options
    Mr. Tubbs, some time ago people elsewhere that I frequented guessed my age. Ranged from 20s to 60s with most being around 30-40. I was 18 at the time.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you think she should resign or stick with it? Maybe she can remain and be sufficiently distanced from Johnson.
    She is very distanced. No messages of support, openly campaigning for Government policy changes from within the Government, no opportunistic grab for promotion (possibly not offered, possibly wisely declined).
  • Options
    Johnson, who dreamed of being a new Churchill, is drifting inexorably towards being remembered as Britain’s Ceaușescu.
    https://twitter.com/TheMichaelMoran/status/1544653104397819904
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314

Heathener said:

That's a brilliant post.

Kindly note that if I post 25 years older, my PB self will be just about ready for a telegram from the PB Queen.
  • Options
    boulay said:

"No more personal statements to the House today", said the Speaker.

Although, he could be prevailed upon to change his mind. If the PM wanted to....
  • Options
    boulay said:

Nope
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    nico679 said:

Sajid Javid struggled but the points he made re integrity were clear .

The 1922 committee need to act now a help rid the country of the Johnson virus .

I thought his speech all the more effective for lacking any rhetorical flourish; it came across as sincere.

Which is something no one has ever said of anything Boris has opined on.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson believes he still has support of majority of Tory MPs, No10 says

PM will contest a confidence vote if one is called

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1544653249738948611
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

She'll probably do and say nothing for the moment.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

Nothing they can do. the system always depended on a sense of shame and decency.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited July 2022
    boulay said:

No, the Speaker said there'd be no more statements today.

So we're waiting on either the 1922, or Gove making a move, I think.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Boris Corbyn will simply follow the playbook of his twin brother and kindred spirit Jezza Corbyn and appoint single individuals to multiple posts.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,391

I'm not sure that in the long term, all nuclear can be classified as green. And a lot of biomass is anything but green. Such simplistic designations for whole categories of energy generation don't really work.
    The argument was actually (to a large degree) about German politics. If nuclear is “allowed” as Green, then the German position on how Green their economy is vs other European countries doesn’t look that good. Counting nuclear as “ungreen” makes France look a lot worse.

• Options

'green' is a continuum. There is probably no truly 'green' energy source (perhaps not even the Sun). But we might say that well-managed nuclear is 'greener' than well-managed gas, and that is 'greener' than well-managed coal.

And well-managed wind is 'greener' than well-managed nuclear, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

There's not much value in previous rebels declaring they want him to go.
    Gove probably lacks the moral authority because he said Boris wasn’t up to it before, then had a conversion and saw the light. So who can deliver the fatal blow? We know the likes of Mogg and Dorries will stay loyal because any other PM would send them to the back benches, so it has to be someone with a future. Needs to be Truss or Wallace.
This discussion has been closed.