Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The LDs claim to be just 2% behind in Tiverton & Honiton – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    algarkirk said:

darkage said:

On the discussions about the justice system - there seems to be a new trend in sentencing to link the severity of the punishment with the severity of the harm caused to the victim, including things like psychological harm. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Is a crime less serious because the victim is a stoic character and wishes to simply get on with their life?

Yes. Sentencing for consequences is a thing. The gulf between sentence for careless driving (fine) and death by careless driving (max 5 years) is immense. With death by careless there can't be any element of intention to do the harm, or intention to drive in a dangerous way. It's the offence we have all committed, but usually don't kill someone. But if you do......

And the 'death by' offence is new. It used not to exist. It is part of the new mindset. Understandable but wrong.

Its totally immoral and the result of the poor standard of politicians we have endured for several decades. A chance outcome should not affect sentencing. The sentence should be based on the offence and the motivation of the perpetrator. Some things like using a mobile while driving or drunken driving should be punished more severely no matter what the outcome but the "death by careless driving" offence and similar are a disgrace and should be dome away with.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,204
    darkage said:

Sandpit said:

I need to post my appreciation to the RMT.

Thanks to them, next week is entirely WFH for me, hurrah for RMT.

WFH becomes ever more attractive.

Did no-one tell the RMT, that the experience of the last couple of years made pretty much every white-collar job able to WFH for weeks at a time?
    Yup, no 5am alarms, I'm saving around 15 hours next week in commuting time, which boosts my productivity.

An utter win win for my firm and myself.
    Yeah, but maybe this was factored in to the calculations of the RMT: WFH is popular and this may actually increase support for a long strike. Another win win!
    Yup, especially as last year the government and their supporters were boasting about the increase in wages.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Over dinner a huge news story breaks - wonky Wonka bars that can kill, seized in Oxford Street 😧

You just never know when the Vermicious Knids will strike.

The resignation thing? Why couldn’t have done that this morning, why wait till dinner? What did he need, Dutch Courage?

Can I ask about the header photo - are those actual Horni folk, or a library picture to indicate what a crowd of Lib Dems could look like? Why do they have a flag with a pigeon on it?
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited June 2022
    On the justice theme we are moving towards a ludicrous culture where nothing can be accidental and there must always be scapegoat. A retreat from modernity and enlightenment (another one).
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,204

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

On the discussions about the justice system - there seems to be a new trend in sentencing to link the severity of the punishment with the severity of the harm caused to the victim, including things like psychological harm. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Is a crime less serious because the victim is a stoic character and wishes to simply get on with their life?

Yes. Sentencing for consequences is a thing. The gulf between sentence for careless driving (fine) and death by careless driving (max 5 years) is immense. With death by careless there can't be any element of intention to do the harm, or intention to drive in a dangerous way. It's the offence we have all committed, but usually don't kill someone. But if you do......

And the 'death by' offence is new. It used not to exist. It is part of the new mindset. Understandable but wrong.

Its totally immoral and the result of the poor standard of politicians we have endured for several decades. A chance outcome should not affect sentencing. The sentence should be based on the offence and the motivation of the perpetrator. Some things like using a mobile while driving or drunken driving should be punished more severely no matter what the outcome but the "death by careless driving" offence and similar are a disgrace and should be dome away with.
    The thing that boils my piss.

The government and society rightly condemns people who drive whilst they hold a mobile in their hand, but driving with a burning tobacco in your hand is fine.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    algarkirk said:

darkage said:

Yes, but it all goes back to this justice as a performance thing. Perhaps this was always a factor, but it is getting steadily worse.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

It's even worse when it is death by fatigue in a healthcare setting.

There was a famous case of a nurse (Julie Thao for those interested) being charged with murder for injecting a teen mother with the wrong drug via the wrong route, despite there being many other factors at play other than her mistake, itself brought on by fatigue from working 3 back-to-back 8-hours shifts because she was pressured into doing so by management.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

Oh.

Meanwhile, the independent adviser on sleaze -
    Lord Geidt - has QUIT

Partygate is back folks

https://t.co/uGiMocZItu

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1537128484186775553

They really are useless old duffers. If he had done this just 9 days ago, he would have brought down the PM. Now it will make zero difference, apart from he will be replaced by someone more pliable.
    Nothing brings down Boris. He could swing naked from the chandeliers in Buck house in front of the queen and he would be fine.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,178
    edited June 2022

Over dinner a huge news story breaks - wonky Wonka bars that can kill, seized in Oxford Street 😧

The resignation thing? Why couldn’t have done that this morning, why wait till dinner? What did he need, Dutch Courage?

Can I ask about the header photo - are those actual Horni folk, or a library picture to indicate what a crowd of Lib Dems could look like? Why do they have a flag with a pigeon on it?

Maggie Thatcher on the LibDem logo:

"I gather that during the last few days there have been some ill-natured jokes about their new symbol, a bird of some kind, adopted by the Liberal Democrats at Blackpool. Politics is a serious business, and one should not lower the tone unduly. So I will say only this of the Liberal Democrat symbol and of the party it symbolises. This is an ex-parrot. It is not merely stunned. It has ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a parrot no more. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is a late parrot. And now for something completely different."

- M. H. Thatcher, 12th Oct 1990.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,437

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

I suspect its used because a dangerous driving conviction is difficult to get thus its a halfway house between careless and dangerous.

Lots of cyclists are badly hurt/killed because of v-dodgy driving but the CPS will push for a careless rather than dangerous..
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    edited June 2022

"I gather that during the last few days there have been some ill-natured jokes about their new symbol, a bird of some kind, adopted by the Liberal Democrats at Blackpool. Politics is a serious business, and one should not lower the tone unduly. So I will say only this of the Liberal Democrat symbol and of the party it symbolises. This is an ex-parrot. It is not merely stunned. It has ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a parrot no more. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is a late parrot. And now for something completely different."

I remember that. It was embarrassing. It was obviously written for her and she obviously had not a clue about the dead parrot sketch.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    edited June 2022

On the justice theme we are moving towards a ludicrous culture where nothing can be accidental and there must always be scapegoat. A retreat from modernity and enlightenment (another one).

It is really a consequence of the human search for safety and certainty, and the delusion that the justice system can provide it.

If you look at how these laws are passed, no one in government truly thinks they are a good idea, but it becomes politically impossible to stop them; because it is what the masses want. It is a process that is repeating itself and rapidly getting worse. Capital punishment will be on the table again soon.

In some ways, it is a democracy empowered by social media that brings out tribal instincts in people, and this is the enemy of modernity and enlightenment.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

The government and society rightly condemns people who drive whilst they hold a mobile in their hand, but driving with a burning tobacco in your hand is fine.
    Someone got done on the Queensferry crossing for eating a bowl of cereal.
    edited June 2022

That must have been one of her last Monty Python jokes before her party had enough.

But this flags green and white? And the pigeon has a paper airplane stuck in its head.

I’m getting Wicker Man vibes from this.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,936

darkage said:

Lord Geidt is just another idiot who allowed himself to be used by Boris.

He compromised himself almost immediately with wallpaper gate, lapsed into circumlocutory nonsense over partygate, and now leaves with his reputation in tatters.

Everyone who has dealings with Boris Johnson ends up regretting it. It's only a question of when.

So the question for the Conservative payroll vote, for his defenders in the party and movement, and for the Mail/Sun/Telegraph remains what it's always been:

How much of your reputation are you prepared to sacrifice in the service of someone who despises you? Because he regards you as a stooge.
    One thing that crossed my mind today, was that Boris may be a bit of a fairweather friend to Zelensky and Ukraine. If things get difficult, or popular opinion in the UK turns against the war, based on past experience he could well just abandon them. It seems like he has viewed the whole conflict in terms of the opportunity to do a Churchill style act, if this no longer works, he could well flee the scene.
    Given Boris's track record, both personal and political, I'm shocked and stunned that you could casually throw out an accusation that he "may be a bit of a fairweather friend". Libellous, that is.
    Tbf ‘friends’ of BJ probably find not having to spend too much actual time with him for the best. Wives too possibly..
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

...Most people drive Ladas held together with sellotape

Well it's good enough for Formula 1 teams!
    Formula 1 are driving Lada's now?
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 932
    Sandpit said:

Did no-one tell the RMT, that the experience of the last couple of years made pretty much every white-collar job able to WFH for weeks at a time?

I would assume that the aim of striking is to reduce the fare box income and make the point that the strikers are essential to carrying on the business. I don't suppose the RMT care if the people who would otherwise have been on the train WFH, drive in, or get a free day's holiday.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,080
    TimT said:

CatMan said:

Leon said:

Perhaps Hamilton would be doing better if he was.

That must have been one of her last Monty Python jokes before her party had enough.

But this flags green and white? And the pigeon has a paper airplane stuck in its head.

The bloke in pink is holding a "Richard Foord" leaflet in his hand. Foord is the LD candidate next week.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

Bad point. You don't have to look at a cigarette while smoking it
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,878

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

I suspect its used because a dangerous driving conviction is difficult to get thus its a halfway house between careless and dangerous.

Lots of cyclists are badly hurt/killed because of v-dodgy driving but the CPS will push for a careless rather than dangerous..
    I reported a driver for a close pass, doing about 40mph in a 20mph. He'd swerved at me and another cyclist as we'd sat in front of him in the bike box just beforehand (was honking away).

Police weren't interested as neither of us were hurt. If he'd clipped my knee/handlebar...
    kjh said:

I remember that. It was embarrassing. It was obviously written for her and she obviously had not a clue about the dead parrot sketch.
    She did notlob a grenade of humour into it, certainly.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,880
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

What about when it was being set on fire?

The bloke in pink is holding a "Richard Foord" leaflet in his hand. Foord is the LD candidate next week.
    They all look so cheerful. Has Christmas come early? 🙂
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

But "the Mummy returns"

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

Whereas fiddling with the radio or (in olden days) changing the CD ...
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

But "the Mummy returns"

That wasn't exactly a Weisz thing to say either.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

She couldn't afjord to fill her speech with puns.
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1-u8m0eZ_g

That was perfectly delivered. What’s wrong with you? Lady Thatcher is the best 😍

It meant to be delivered as though politics is a serious business.

It’s a genius speech.

And now for something completely different amazing punchline.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,832
    kjh said:

Not only that, within months she had “joined the choir invisible” herself.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312

As Nick Palmer mentions above

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.

McDonnell is a serious politician, in both positive and negative senses - capable of flexibility and U-turns and a sharp eye for contradictions and weak spots. He's a different animal to Corbyn, who is in some ways a rather innocent soul.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

She couldn't afjord to fill her speech with puns.
    I was starting to think nobody had appreciated the sheer awesomeness of that pun, and then voom!

kjh said:

Not only that, within months she had “joined the choir invisible” herself.
    Not quite, but her career had certainly rung down the curtain.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,333

kle4 said:

@ZelenskyyUa
    In constant contact with @BorisJohnson. Coordinated positions on the eve of important international events. Discussed the situation on the battlefield, Ukraine's defense needs and threats to food security.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1537137470567071748

I know you are besotted with this, but if you actually look at the account you cite from the top, this Ukraine government official also tweets in similar terms about talks with Trudeau, Rutte, Macron, Scholz and many other leaders throughout the globe. Which is great. But it's not all about Boris. Have a scroll down:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa
    That's true, but it is also true that he seems to update about communications with Boris more often than with most other leaders (there was a period in March when it seemed like they were never off the phone to one another, and we know they don't tweet about every time they talk).
    Maybe so, but I find the UK exceptionalism pretty tiresome. The Zelensky account is keen to butter up all friendly leaders, not surprisingly. Here's a sample tweet, which I don't think WG or anybody else linked to:

Coordinated with 🇨🇦 Prime Minister @JustinTrudeau further steps to repel Russian aggression. We appreciate the new defense and financial assistance. Thank you, Justine, friend, for supporting the Ukrainian people. Cooperation between 🇺🇦 and 🇨🇦 is stronger than ever!
    Now, either PM Z has some shrapnel in his keyboard, or PM Justine is about to make an announcement.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

That was perfectly delivered. What’s wrong with you? Lady Thatcher is the best 😍

It’s a genius speech.

Nearest match to the "pigeon flag" I could find is this:

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

A bustard is hardly a pigeon! Being the heaviest flying bird and that. It could easily carry a coconut under each wing.....

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

What about when it was being set on fire?
    Not then either
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924

Beautiful evening here in south Devon. Beach Boys' Pet Sounds adding to the experience..... One of four days a year you really pretend it is California.

Superb album.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Useless. Bustard flush
    edited June 2022
    MikeL said:

MattW said:

fitalass said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:
    Nicola Sturgeon plans to hold a second referendum on Scottish independence in October next year if her government secures the legal approval to stage it.

"if"...
    All Nicola Sturgeon announced yesterday was her intention to continue to keep talking about promising a second Referendum next year, its become an annual event to keep the SNP membership from getting too restless... I suspect yesterday's Independence PR stunt inside and outside Holyrood was more about launching Angus Robertson's leadership campaign to succeed her, and I predict that there is now more chance of Nicola Sturgeon standing down than an Indy Ref happening next year.
    As ever with Nicola the stuff left out is more interesting than the stuff which is stated.

Malc's favourite canine nourishment entrepreneur pointed out the extent of benefit to Scotland beyond the tax raised there, which numbers were for some reason not in the graphs published by Sturgeon:

https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/1536803385470500868https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/1536803385470500868
    It's understandable why Labour allowed this when they were winning most of the seats in Scotland.

But why on earth does Boris allow this to continue? He's going to win very few seats in Scotland anyway - so why not tell Scotland that from now on they get their fair share of spending and nothing more?

The SNP spends their whole time complaining about the UK Govt and in return the UK Govt keeps handing them far more money than they deserve.
    Speculating cynically, it could unbalance the argument (if it is one) he is trying to make if the money stopped too quickly - would he or Sturgeon be blamed. Or perhaps he is scared if it works it could give Lab 20 seats in Westminster, an re-engage a not-very-Tory part of the country that is usually in the middle instead of against him now.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.
    McDonnell is a serious politician, in both positive and negative senses - capable of flexibility and U-turns and a sharp eye for contradictions and weak spots. He's a different animal to Corbyn, who is in some ways a rather innocent soul.

No one can claim this as a scalp for MCDonnell - you are embarrassing yourselves. Like what has McDonnell done to make this his scalp.

I think the penny dropped that the role is bogus if appointed by a prime minister, lied to, ignored and humiliated by a prime minister, so he has made a huge mistake accepting it.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if the spin from No. 10 tonight about surprise is a lie, they might even have had a word to him about his committee appearance which has wound him up the wrong way.

Thur. “No one from number 10 contacted him afterwards.”
    Fri. “There was contact with him afterwards, we are just establishing the details.”
    Mon. “The Sunday Paper reports are true, It was the PM who met him, but it was not arranged by Number ten. We can’t release the minutes because there are none.”

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

A bustard is hardly a pigeon! Being the heaviest flying bird and that. It could easily carry a coconut under each wing.....
    Don't blame me! @MoonRabbit called it a "pigeon"!

Actually, belay the "Wiltshire" bit - you can put any county or name at the top!

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Useless. Bustard flush
    Why has Wiltshire got a pigeon-on-stilts on their flag? Or a bustard?

Aha - I see:
    https://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/blog/the-return-of-the-great-bustards
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,160
    geoffw said:

Starmer's spokesman has declined to say whether Labour would cancel the Rwanda policy if in government, though deeply critical of the policy's cost and efficiency. But declines to clarify if Starmer believes it is morally wrong.

Doesn't that imply he'd try to make it work more effectively?

It does have the smell of a policy that is universally condemned and then never actually stopped…

I like how the Eu outsourced to Libya - perhaps we can hire the Libyan Coastguard (so called)? They kidnap people from international waters in the Med, so why not do it in the Channel? Think Barbary Coast….. hmmmm….

The whole immigration/asylum thing is now a mess of policies that are reactions to the reactions to the reactions.

I would delete all immigration law and policy and start again, personally.

If I get to be UnDictator…..

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Actually, belay the "Wiltshire" bit - you can put any county or name at the top!

Don’t blame MoonRabbit, I didn’t have the whole bustard to go on. Top of its head and beady eye looks like a pigeon.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,282

Aeroplane.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Don’t blame MoonRabbit, I didn’t have the whole bustard to go on. Top of its head and beady eye looks like a pigeon.
    You'd never make a twitcher! The moustache is all you need to nail the ID...
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Not sure if this has been noticed before:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Useless. Bustard flush
    Cistern addict.
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

Depressing though this is, can Russia actually spend much of that $20bn?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/15/russia-rakes-in-nearly-20bn-from-oil-exports-in-may

How much does a new dacha cost?
    John McDonnell’s chalet is worth an estimated £200,000 if you bought it now. A real Dacha - 2 bedroom wooden bungalow by the river. And a suitable chap to have one.

A spokesman for Mr McDonnell told the Mail: “John and his wife have a riverside holiday hut, with mooring, two small row boats and a small sailer cruiser that he is restoring.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1173814/john-mcdonnell-labour-hypocrisy-pensioners-second-property-norfolk-latest-news
    edited June 2022
    Edit. Some other bustard got there first.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

So why would Richard Foord's supporters have a Wiltshire flag?

Aeroplane.
    https://www.rd.com/article/why-airplane-also-spelled-aeroplane/
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    edited June 2022

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Those are all Wiltshire towns. The green and white represents the chalk and fields of the Salisbury Plain.

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Useless. Bustard flush
    Cistern addict.
    Cis-terns bah! There's a transgender bell bird in New Zealand.
    https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/10/18/worlds-transgender-bird/
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,887
    darkage said:

He compromised himself almost immediately with wallpaper gate, lapsed into circumlocutory nonsense over partygate, and now leaves with his reputation in tatters.

Everyone who has dealings with Boris Johnson ends up regretting it. It's only a question of when.

So the question for the Conservative payroll vote, for his defenders in the party and movement, and for the Mail/Sun/Telegraph remains what it's always been:

How much of your reputation are you prepared to sacrifice in the service of someone who despises you? Because he regards you as a stooge.
    One thing that crossed my mind today, was that Boris may be a bit of a fairweather friend to Zelensky and Ukraine. If things get difficult, or popular opinion in the UK turns against the war, based on past experience he could well just abandon them. It seems like he has viewed the whole conflict in terms of the opportunity to do a Churchill style act, if this no longer works, he could well flee the scene.
    Say it ain't so

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Time for a shocking revelation: I don't know EVERYTHING.....

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Calm down! I was asking the whole of PB!
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Useless. Bustard flush
    Why has Wiltshire got a pigeon-on-stilts on their flag? Or a bustard?

Aha - I see:
    https://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/blog/the-return-of-the-great-bustards
    I want them to be numerous enough to eat again. Presumably they are delicious, which can be a positive and negative in terms of species survival (if not in quality of life).
    MikeL said:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Moustache?

Anyway, back to the serious stuff - you had been anticipating a poll announcement from Libdems, the fact it’s this one makes you think they are on course or do you still have your suspicions Mark?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,473
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/15/russia-rakes-in-nearly-20bn-from-oil-exports-in-may

John McDonnell’s chalet is worth an estimated £200,000 if you bought it now. A real Dacha - 2 bedroom wooden bungalow by the river. And a suitable chap to have one.

A spokesman for Mr McDonnell told the Mail: “John and his wife have a riverside holiday hut, with mooring, two small row boats and a small sailer cruiser that he is restoring.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1173814/john-mcdonnell-labour-hypocrisy-pensioners-second-property-norfolk-latest-news
    Sounds rather lovely, and a bargain at £170 000 with a mooring on the broads. I quite fancy it myself, and the two rowing boats too.
    What are the job prospects for someone who has 'I advised Boris Johnson on ethics' as the latest employment on their CV?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,551
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Sounds rather lovely, and a bargain at £170 000 with a mooring on the broads. I quite fancy it myself, and the two rowing boats too.
    Also, no indication of how long he has had it.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.
    BF is holding the line. Trump still clear fav.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,825
    kle4 said:

What are the job prospects for someone who has 'I advised Boris Johnson on ethics' as the latest employment on their CV?

Will BoZo not outsource the job to Rwanda now?
    edited June 2022

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Calm down! I was asking the whole of PB!
    Well, I’ll have a guess. On that day the Wiltshire branch of Lib Dems came to help him?

Great Buzzards of Liberty it says on side of their bus.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,758
    TimT said:

CatMan said:

Leon said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.2022-azerbaijan-grand-prix-alphatauri-tape-up-tsunodas-broken-rear-wing.1735432063479110979.html
    edited June 2022

I do rather like McDonnell, who is a wily old fellow, very close to Corbyn but managed to dodge all the anti-semitism furore. Starmer probably couldn't persuade him into the shadow cabinet, but should stay on good terms.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,022
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

I can't bear John McDonnell, nonetheless I don't see any hypocrisy here at all, unless ownership of property, any property, makes him Marxist traitor.

McDonnell strikes me as a man of modest tastes. If he has worked hard and saved, and invested his savings in o fairly unassuming weekend retreat on the Norfolk Broads that is entirely his business.

Despite his Norfolk retreat, he is also still entitled to call out Rachmanesque private landlords too.

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Moustache?

Anyway, back to the serious stuff - you had been anticipating a poll announcement from Libdems, the fact it’s this one makes you think they are on course or do you still have your suspicions Mark?
    The only thing I know is that the LibDem are not 2% behind!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,661
    Toldya

‘At the Labour Communications group on June 8 Ms McMorrin was asked: “Could we ever return to the single market?”

She replied: “I really hope so.”

She added: “Customs union and single market at the very least I think, in future.”

She accepted “there is not really scope for having that conversation at the moment”, but said all that could change if Labour won power.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18889986/keir-starmer-ally-labour-government-brexit/
  • Leon said:

Toldya

‘At the Labour Communications group on June 8 Ms McMorrin was asked: “Could we ever return to the single market?”

She added: “Customs union and single market at the very least I think, in future.”

She accepted “there is not really scope for having that conversation at the moment”, but said all that could change if Labour won power.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18889986/keir-starmer-ally-labour-government-brexit/

She’s already been reprimanded. You’re behind.
    Foxy said:

I do rather like McDonnell, who is a wily old fellow, very close to Corbyn but managed to dodge all the anti-semitism furore. Starmer probably couldn't persuade him into the shadow cabinet, but should stay on good terms.

John McDonnell MP
    @johnmcdonnellMP
    This was appalling, ill judged & totally counterproductive. Insulting behaviour like this is demeaning. It alienates so many who enthusiastically voted for Jeremy whilst undermining the efforts to unite our movement to tackle the cost of living crisis. It warrants an apology.

Lewis Goodall
    @lewis_goodall
    Keir Starmer: “This is a document circulated by his backbench in which they call him the Conservative Corbyn. Prime Minister, I don’t think that was intended as a compliment.”

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Moustache?

The Great Bustard is W-A-Y more important than the Libdems!

https://birdguide.club/bustards/great-bustard-otis-tarda/
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2022
    McDonnell would have been a much better leader than Corbyn.
    Leon said:

Toldya

It would be quite a popular policy, including with many Brexiteers. Being in the SM or CU is not the same as Rejoin.

Leon said:

Toldya

But I was right. Again. And here is proof

I was the first, I believe, to make this pretty obvious extrapolation. As soon as Labour gain power, whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

If it is Keir “second vote” Starmer he will be emotionally inclined to agree - to put it mildly. We will be back in the SM by 2026-7. He could even use the boat crisis as an excuse. “This way we can get the French to co-operate” etc

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Toldya

It would be quite a popular policy, including with many Brexiteers. Being in the SM or CU is not the same as Rejoin.
    Wouldn’t deny any of that. FoM will be the sticking point

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

It’s a genius speech.

Moustache?

The only thing I know is that the LibDem are not 2% behind!
    I've just had an email telling me we are 1,200 votes behind. Good tactic, but utter bollocks.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,999
    kle4 said:

I had no clue until recently that Geidt was in that role because I assumed the day-to-day #2 to the Queen need never work again.
    We will all have to change passports AGAIN
    @MoonRabbit

Blockquotes are a mess, but I agree with McDonnell. It was a stupid comment by Starmer.

Yes, he is a much more measured and calculating speaker, but wouldn't have had the Magic Grandpa following of Corbyn. I think he was the Tribune group candidate in a previous Leadership contest, but didn't make the cut.
    edited June 2022

kle4 said:

Harsh but pretty fair - if he was unhappy with how things were going down he's left it way too late to say so now.
    Why did he leave it until now, rather than striking when the 148 were making their objections known

The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters

To think he could have been the trigger to Boris's resignation/ loss of office
    “The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters‘

As for news dominated by rail strike and Rwanda, The papers are appearing now, Lord Geet front page of aye and eff tea the only two so far

Now the Metro, the only way is ethics

The Mirror refuse to put it on the front, and they are the paper at heart of Britain
    Leon said:

whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

Tory MPs are already calling for it.

This is not news...

Reality bites

Yes. Certainly a far more substantial figure to be PM. But the kids who went for magic grandpa would not have gone for McD.

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    edited June 2022
    It'll be rail strike all next week.
    Interest rates and phwoar what a scorcher next.
    The Rwanda thing will keep re-appearing at opportune moments.
    As I said. Best ignored.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,397
    Leon said:

We will all have to change passports AGAIN

Not me. My burgundy one issued in 2020 will last me until 2030, so I may never see a blue passport.

Though I expect one of the nice little touches of rejoining will be retaining blue passports, given we could have had them that colour all along.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,078
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

Edit messed up quotes somehow...
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Toldya

I was the first, I believe, to make this pretty obvious extrapolation. As soon as Labour gain power, whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

If it is Keir “second vote” Starmer he will be emotionally inclined to agree - to put it mildly. We will be back in the SM by 2026-7. He could even use the boat crisis as an excuse. “This way we can get the French to co-operate” etc

No, I don't think so. Certainly a more constructive attitude to our continental and Irish friends, but he is too frit to join the SM or CU.

He is ahead in the polls and on course for number 10, but his timidity on policy is his achillies heel. Ultimately Starmer needs to say what he wants to change, and what he wants to change it to. At the moment he gives the impression of not knowing his own mind.
    Lord Geidt's resignation is a 'total surprise' to the prime minister apparently.

Scott_xP said:

Holly looking splendid.
    The only conclusion to draw from Geidt’s resignation is that Johnson broke the Ministerial Code, and it follows that the only outcome is Johnson resigns.
    https://twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1537156978929278978
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,397
    edited June 2022
    Dinner this evening with my fellow metropolitan remainer clients and colleagues, and spent about an hour defending the Lib Dems against jibes about…tuition fees.

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, or McDonnell bringing the little red book to the Commons, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.
    “We’re not trying to induce a recession,” the Fed chair said.

NY Times blog.

:lol::lol:

edited June 2022

Foxy said:

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

Edit messed up quotes somehow...
    He brought it in to make the point Cameron and Osborne were too much in bed with the Chinese for this country’s good. That they, ahem, had a blind spot to how deep they were getting us in with the Chinese.

Only time labour have had a positive nod from my mum, when they made that point.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Toldya

No, I don't think so. Certainly a more constructive attitude to our continental and Irish friends, but he is too frit to join the SM or CU.

He is ahead in the polls and on course for number 10, but his timidity on policy is his achillies heel. Ultimately Starmer needs to say what he wants to change, and what he wants to change it to. At the moment he gives the impression of not knowing his own mind.
    Starmer is an organiser not a leader. A manager not a director. He will take instructions from his peer group, and they will tell him: SM. And he will manage it and organize it

His intense boringness might actually make it easier to sell
This discussion has been closed.