Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The LDs claim to be just 2% behind in Tiverton & Honiton – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Toldya

‘At the Labour Communications group on June 8 Ms McMorrin was asked: “Could we ever return to the single market?”

She replied: “I really hope so.”

She added: “Customs union and single market at the very least I think, in future.”

She accepted “there is not really scope for having that conversation at the moment”, but said all that could change if Labour won power.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18889986/keir-starmer-ally-labour-government-brexit/

She’s already been reprimanded. You’re behind.
    But I was right. Again. And here is proof

I was the first, I believe, to make this pretty obvious extrapolation. As soon as Labour gain power, whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

If it is Keir “second vote” Starmer he will be emotionally inclined to agree - to put it mildly. We will be back in the SM by 2026-7. He could even use the boat crisis as an excuse. “This way we can get the French to co-operate” etc

We will not be rejoining the EU under Keir
  • Options
    Leon once again hasn’t a clue about Labour
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Scott_xP said:

The only conclusion to draw from Geidt’s resignation is that Johnson broke the Ministerial Code, and it follows that the only outcome is Johnson resigns.
    https://twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1537156978929278978

The only outcome that won't happen is the PM resigning.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Geidt resignation is the top story on News at 10. They won’t like that.
    https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1537178630278742018
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Foxy said:

As Nick Palmer mentions above

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

Edit messed up quotes somehow...
    He brought it in to make the point Cameron and Osborne were too much in bed with the Chinese for this country’s good. That they, ahem, had a blind spot to how deep they were getting us in with the Chinese.

Only time labour have had a positive nod from my mum, when they made that point.
    Tone deaf. Any idea how many Mao was responsible for dying in the great famine?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    Leon said:

We will all have to change passports AGAIN

Depends.

Whatever the UK's future engagement with the Eurosystem will be, the costs:benefits ratio won't be as good (whatever that means) as Dave's Deal. If we want that much access, the price will be more alignment. If we want that much optout, we will get less access.

But Blue Passports (which we could have had all along, remember) would be an easy bone to throw to British Eurosceptics.

(It would have been an easy thing to keep when passports went floppy in the late 1980s. Heck, for a long time I just had the cheapo low-security British Visitors Passport. Andrew Rosindell's obsession with the evils of the Floppy Pink (yes, he said that) is only one of his absurdities. Spike the Dog was OK, though.)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Do we still think the MPC will come out with 0.25% tomorrow?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504

Leon said:

Leon said:

Toldya

‘At the Labour Communications group on June 8 Ms McMorrin was asked: “Could we ever return to the single market?”

She replied: “I really hope so.”

She added: “Customs union and single market at the very least I think, in future.”

She accepted “there is not really scope for having that conversation at the moment”, but said all that could change if Labour won power.’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18889986/keir-starmer-ally-labour-government-brexit/

She’s already been reprimanded. You’re behind.
    But I was right. Again. And here is proof

I was the first, I believe, to make this pretty obvious extrapolation. As soon as Labour gain power, whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

If it is Keir “second vote” Starmer he will be emotionally inclined to agree - to put it mildly. We will be back in the SM by 2026-7. He could even use the boat crisis as an excuse. “This way we can get the French to co-operate” etc

We will not be rejoining the EU under Keir
    They won’t have us. Can you really imagine Macron signing up to welcome back Britain into the fold.

Ukraine will be a member before us. EFTA is the best we can hope for.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Scott_xP said:

Holly looking splendid.
    She looks OK
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    TimS said:

Dinner this evening with my fellow metropolitan remainer clients and colleagues, and spent about an hour defending the Lib Dems against jibes about…tuition fees.

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

I remember it up clearly on every bill board seemingly in the land. No to Tuition Fees.

They didn’t have to so meekly cave on that one at the first sight of shiny ministerial car. Did they?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Foxy said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

He brought it in to make the point Cameron and Osborne were too much in bed with the Chinese for this country’s good. That they, ahem, had a blind spot to how deep they were getting us in with the Chinese.

Only time labour have had a positive nod from my mum, when they made that point.
    Yes, this is what happened:

"“To assist comrade Osborne about dealing with his newfound comrades, I have brought him along Mao’s Little Red Book,” he said.

McDonnell then was forced to pause, amid laughter from the Conservative benches.

After the Speaker restored order, McDonnell said: “Let’s quote from Mao, rarely done in this chamber. The quote is this: ‘We must learn to do economic work from all who know how, no matter who they are, we must esteem them as teachers, learning from them respectfully and conscientiously, but we must not pretend to know what we do not know.’

“I thought it would come in handy for him in his new relationship,” he added."

I am old enough to remember how cosy the Conservative government was with President XI, and Putin as well.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

Tory MPs are already calling for it.

This is not news...

Reality bites
    How many of the 359 Conservative MPs are "already calling for it"?

Give us numbers. As a fraction of 359 if you would.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    dixiedean said:

3% would be a good idea but yes 0.25% maybe 0.5% as an outsider
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

At least, quite likely 0.5%.

• Options

All of the smart ones.

Oh

• Options

Leon said:

Depends.

Whatever the UK's future engagement with the Eurosystem will be, the costs:benefits ratio won't be as good (whatever that means) as Dave's Deal. If we want that much access, the price will be more alignment. If we want that much optout, we will get less access.

But Blue Passports (which we could have had all along, remember) would be an easy bone to throw to British Eurosceptics.

(It would have been an easy thing to keep when passports went floppy in the late 1980s. Heck, for a long time I just had the cheapo low-security British Visitors Passport. Andrew Rosindell's obsession with the evils of the Floppy Pink (yes, he said that) is only one of his absurdities. Spike the Dog was OK, though.)
    Any future engagement will be deemed politically too expensive to undertake.

"Which hospital builds will you cancel to pay for the annual fees, Prime Minister/Leader of the Opposition?"

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

whoever is leader will come under intense pressure to move much closer to the EU. Single market membership will follow swiftly.

Tory MPs are already calling for it.

This is not news...

Reality bites
    1 Tobias Ellwood, most of the remaining pro EEA, rejoin the EU Tory MPs were deselected by Boris in 2019.

If we do rejoin the EEA it will only happen under a Labour led government
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

0.5% would crash the economy. the impact on mortgage owners would be immense

BoE has been quietly rowing back on its language on interest rates
  • Options

TimS said:

Dinner this evening with my fellow metropolitan remainer clients and colleagues, and spent about an hour defending the Lib Dems against jibes about…tuition fees.

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

I remember it up clearly on every bill board seemingly in the land. No to Tuition Fees.

They didn’t have to so meekly cave on that one at the first sight of shiny ministerial car. Did they?
    No ones hands are clean on this. Tuition fees were brought in by New Labour, and massively increased by Cable at the insistence of the Tories.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

All of the smart ones.

Oh

So just the smart-arse commentators suggesting it is a hot topic in the Conservative Party.

Point and laugh at Scott_P again.....
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Would be nice for BOE to try and target the 2% CPI remit ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

"“To assist comrade Osborne about dealing with his newfound comrades, I have brought him along Mao’s Little Red Book,” he said.

McDonnell then was forced to pause, amid laughter from the Conservative benches.

After the Speaker restored order, McDonnell said: “Let’s quote from Mao, rarely done in this chamber. The quote is this: ‘We must learn to do economic work from all who know how, no matter who they are, we must esteem them as teachers, learning from them respectfully and conscientiously, but we must not pretend to know what we do not know.’

I am old enough to remember how cosy the Conservative government was with President XI, and Putin as well.
    It was a failed stunt whatever point he was trying to make. Probably sounded like a good idea to some smart alec spad, but what will most remember? That he was laughed at and began 'Let's quote from Mao...'
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@MoonRabbit

Blockquotes are a mess, but I agree with McDonnell. It was a stupid comment by Starmer.

McDonnell would have been a much better leader than Corbyn.

Yes, he is a much more measured and calculating speaker, but wouldn't have had the Magic Grandpa following of Corbyn. I think he was the Tribune group candidate in a previous Leadership contest, but didn't make the cut.
    It’s important for Starmer to say we’ve moved on, I’ve changed the party, over and over again at every opportunity.

For PMQ watchers, it’s normally Boris who first raises the c word - Starmer had quote from the MPs behind Tory front bench so used it becuase he knew it would rankle his opponent.

It didn’t appear to though. Boris seemed distracted today. “Best employment figures ever, Mr Speaker” seemed to come out whatever the question was.

Yes. Angie was in a short skirt. But as we all have been today in this heat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

There it is again. You think it appropriate to use Mao even as a joke? It’s abhorrent.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The US went up by 0.75% today, and signalled further increases.

Either the BoE is serious about inflation or it is not. It will be an interesting test, if they funk it it shows that they are not really independent or following their brief.
  • Options

Leon said:

Depends.

"Which hospital builds will you cancel to pay for the annual fees, Prime Minister/Leader of the Opposition?"

Nah.
    We aren't ever going back in.
    Because. They won't have us.
    Because. There isn't any guarantee we wouldn't bugger off again after the next election.
    So it won't happen.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

There it is again. You think it appropriate to use Mao even as a joke? It’s abhorrent.
    It was the Tories cozying up to the Chinese Communist Party...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    TimS said:

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, or McDonnell bringing the little red book to the Commons, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

Honestly I think that's a factor of the group you were with.

The LDs are going to take a lot of votes from the Tories, not Labours.

A lot of 'never Labour' voters will switch to the LDs if they are sufficiently pissed off with the Tories (as many seem to be).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Dollar would soar leading to imported inflationary pressure
  • Options

Foxy said:

@MoonRabbit

Blockquotes are a mess, but I agree with McDonnell. It was a stupid comment by Starmer.

Yes, he is a much more measured and calculating speaker, but wouldn't have had the Magic Grandpa following of Corbyn. I think he was the Tribune group candidate in a previous Leadership contest, but didn't make the cut.
    It’s important for Starmer to say we’ve moved on, I’ve changed the party, over and over again at every opportunity.

For PMQ watchers, it’s normally Boris who first raises the c word - Starmer had quote from the MPs behind Tory front bench so used it becuase he knew it would rankle his opponent.

It didn’t appear to though. Boris seemed distracted today. “Best employment figures ever, Mr Speaker” seemed to come out whatever the question was.

Speak for yourself :lol:
  • Options

The sick man of Europe will be begging to get back in.

And if it's a Tory PM, you will be cheering them on
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Not sure if this has been noticed before:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.
    BF is holding the line. Trump still clear fav.
    As he will be.

On a slightly related topic, I’m more perturbed that the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice doesn’t seem to worry that many PBers who express their concern about the way the States is going….
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Do you feel the same about Stalin being used in a joke by Cable?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

No ones hands are clean on this. Tuition fees were brought in by New Labour, and massively increased by Cable at the insistence of the Tories.
    Ironically the Tories seem to have dodged the blame
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So make the point another way. Mao was evil. It demeans to bring his works into the chamber.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Lord Geidt is just another idiot who allowed himself to be used by Boris.

He compromised himself almost immediately with wallpaper gate, lapsed into circumlocutory nonsense over partygate, and now leaves with his reputation in tatters.

Harsh but pretty fair - if he was unhappy with how things were going down he's left it way too late to say so now.
    Why did he leave it until now, rather than striking when the 148 were making their objections known

The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters

To think he could have been the trigger to Boris's resignation/ loss of office
    “The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters‘

As for news dominated by rail strike and Rwanda, The papers are appearing now, Lord Geet front page of aye and eff tea the only two so far

Now the Metro, the only way is ethics

The Mirror refuse to put it on the front, and they are the paper at heart of Britain
    Update - telegraph and gruniad big splash on former ethics chief pouring big bucket of pressure over Boris head.

Where’s the Rwanda story and rail strike story gone, not playing at all so far, though we have mail and express still to come.

Star will have weather and the UKs ice cube shortage. Due to aliens.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Either the BoE is serious about inflation or it is not. It will be an interesting test, if they funk it it shows that they are not really independent or following their brief.
    Not sure they can justify only 0.25%. Was reading it might be a three way split. With 2 voting for no increase.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
  • Options

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The Fed has completely fucked up its interest rate response.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.
    As he will be.

On a slightly related topic, I’m more perturbed that the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice doesn’t seem to worry that many PBers who express their concern about the way the States is going….
    The extreme politicisation of the courts in the US is to be deplored, as is our Tabloids attempts to politicise judges here.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    HYUFD said:

1 Tobias Ellwood, most of the remaining pro EEA, rejoin the EU Tory MPs were deselected by Boris in 2019.

Maybe but politics isn't just a short game but a long game as well.

After all, it was a Conservative Prime Minister who took us into the EEC in 1973 and a Conservative Opposition leader who was one of the strongest advocates for us staying in the EEC in 1975.

Yes, a lot has happened since then but fifty years is a blink of an eye in some measures. I follow the adage "never say never" and I could imagine a future Conservative Prime Minister taking us back into Europe if he or she considered it in the national interest so to do.

Not now, not in 10 years but in 20-30 years, who knows?

As a Party loyalist you would of course support the Conservative Prime Minister who took us back into Europe wouldn't you?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, or McDonnell bringing the little red book to the Commons, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

If it's any consolation, I once canvassed an old boy in the 1980s who wouldn't vote for the Liberals because, and I quote, "They were responsible for the First World War"!
  • Options
    edited June 2022

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

A lot of 'never Labour' voters will switch to the LDs if they are sufficiently pissed off with the Tories (as many seem to be).
    Exactly, the average LD voter now is an upper middle class, high earning, Home Counties Remainer who used to vote Tory. Hence most LD seats are in South West London and the Home Counties and South of England and were held by the Tories in 2015.

It is a completely different demographic to the average LD voter 15 years ago who was a left leaning, anti Iraq War, anti tution few voter who was not keen on Blair, a demographic now largely voting Labour again if not Green
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
    What about Churchill speaking positively of Stalin?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

The Fed has completely fucked up its interest rate response.
    Vast preponderance of Uk mortgages are fixed rate - interest rise has little near term impact
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
    Very different times. I refer to the comments re making a favourable reference to the devil...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Not sure they can justify only 0.25%. Was reading it might be a three way split. With 2 voting for no increase.
    Using interest rates to curb inflation is an absolutely stupid way to do it, especially as many of the causes of inflation are outside central banks’ control.

One of the biggest problems is the preponderance of economists who think economics is an empirical science when actually it’s a theoretical study (and often wrong).

Arguably, you should impose wealth taxes to hit those who benefitted most from the pandemic bubble while leaving poorer households unimpacted. Fat chance of that.
  • Options
    First 18 minutes on World Tonight on Lord Geidt.
    Next on to...interest rates and inflation.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So make the point another way. Mao was evil. It demeans to bring his works into the chamber.
    Calm down turby. What Foxy omitted is Osborne had the last and biggest laugh. As he finished speaking McD tossed the little red book onto Osbornes dispatch box. Ozzy leapt up, made out he looked inside front cover and said “oh look! It’s his own personal signed copy”. Que uproar. Sides literally split on the Tory benches.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

Exactly, the average LD voter now is an upper middle class, high earning, Home Counties Remainer who used to vote Tory.

It is a completely different demographic to the average LD voter 15 years ago who was a left leaning, anti Iraq War, anti tution few voter who was not keen on Blair, a demographic now largely voting Labour again if not Green
    Not very accurate (apart from the Remainer bit) LD support is thin, but actually surprisingly evenly spread by age, geography and social class. Much more so than either Lab or Tory. Indeed it is that wide but thin support that hurts at FPTP elections.
  • Options
    “Sir George Parr, you are the Prime Minister’s new Ethics Advisor.”
    “Well, yes and no,”
    “What do you mean?”
    “I’ve just resigned.” https://twitter.com/dimwittedly/status/1537181219686961156/photo/1
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
    I don't agree with turbotubb's complete embargo on jokes involving murderous tyrants, but whenever people make that particular point I don't think it is as cutting as some evidently think it is. It was a rather different time and critical moment, and even afterwards the geopolitical situation was quite different.

There's lots of things people might have said that once might have made sense, even if not worthy of approval, which doesn't speak to now.
  • Options

kle4 said:

He compromised himself almost immediately with wallpaper gate, lapsed into circumlocutory nonsense over partygate, and now leaves with his reputation in tatters.

Harsh but pretty fair - if he was unhappy with how things were going down he's left it way too late to say so now.
    Why did he leave it until now, rather than striking when the 148 were making their objections known

The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters

“The news is dominated by Rwanda and the rail strikes and I doubt the resignation of civil servant will register amongst ordinary voters‘

As for news dominated by rail strike and Rwanda, The papers are appearing now, Lord Geet front page of aye and eff tea the only two so far

The Mirror refuse to put it on the front, and they are the paper at heart of Britain
    Update - telegraph and gruniad big splash on former ethics chief pouring big bucket of pressure over Boris head.

Where’s the Rwanda story and rail strike story gone, not playing at all so far, though we have mail and express still to come.

The photo in the Grauniad;

What the hell is going on with Bozza's hair? Has he had an unfortunate accident with a van der Graaf generator?
  • Options
    Thursday’s Daily MAIL: “Raab’s Threat To Ignore Euro Court Rulings” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1537182569128931328/photo/1
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Calm down turby. What Foxy omitted is Osborne had the last and biggest laugh. As he finished speaking McD tossed the little red book onto Osbornes dispatch box. Ozzy leapt up, made out he looked inside front cover and said “oh look! It’s his own personal signed copy”. Que uproar. Sides literally split on the Tory benches.
    I’m perfectly calm, but I have a huge problem with people not holding Mao in the same status as Hitler and Stalin. A truly evil, vile mass murderer. The left in particular has a huge bling spot. Read Frank Dikotter’s works. Educate yourself.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

After all, it was a Conservative Prime Minister who took us into the EEC in 1973 and a Conservative Opposition leader who was one of the strongest advocates for us staying in the EEC in 1975.

Yes, a lot has happened since then but fifty years is a blink of an eye in some measures. I follow the adage "never say never" and I could imagine a future Conservative Prime Minister taking us back into Europe if he or she considered it in the national interest so to do.

As a Party loyalist you would of course support the Conservative Prime Minister who took us back into Europe wouldn't you?
    Yes, I think it quite possible that at some point the Cons will flip back to the pro-EU position that they held for the half century to 2016.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Over dinner a huge news story breaks - wonky Wonka bars that can kill, seized in Oxford Street 😧

You just never know when the Vermicious Knids will strike.

The resignation thing? Why couldn’t have done that this morning, why wait till dinner? What did he need, Dutch Courage?

Can I ask about the header photo - are those actual Horni folk, or a library picture to indicate what a crowd of Lib Dems could look like? Why do they have a flag with a pigeon on it?

Maggie Thatcher on the LibDem logo:

"I gather that during the last few days there have been some ill-natured jokes about their new symbol, a bird of some kind, adopted by the Liberal Democrats at Blackpool. Politics is a serious business, and one should not lower the tone unduly. So I will say only this of the Liberal Democrat symbol and of the party it symbolises. This is an ex-parrot. It is not merely stunned. It has ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a parrot no more. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is a late parrot. And now for something completely different."

- M. H. Thatcher, 12th Oct 1990.
    I remember that. It was embarrassing. It was obviously written for her and she obviously had not a clue about the dead parrot sketch.
    She did notlob a grenade of humour into it, certainly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1-u8m0eZ_g

That was perfectly delivered. What’s wrong with you? Lady Thatcher is the best 😍

It meant to be delivered as though politics is a serious business.

It’s a genius speech.

And now for something completely different amazing punchline.
    Nearest match to the "pigeon flag" I could find is this:

A bustard is hardly a pigeon! Being the heaviest flying bird and that. It could easily carry a coconut under each wing.....
    Don't blame me! @MoonRabbit called it a "pigeon"!

Actually, belay the "Wiltshire" bit - you can put any county or name at the top!

Don’t blame MoonRabbit, I didn’t have the whole bustard to go on. Top of its head and beady eye looks like a pigeon.
    You'd never make a twitcher! The moustache is all you need to nail the ID...
    Moustache?

Anyway, back to the serious stuff - you had been anticipating a poll announcement from Libdems, the fact it’s this one makes you think they are on course or do you still have your suspicions Mark?
    The Great Bustard is W-A-Y more important than the Libdems!

https://birdguide.club/bustards/great-bustard-otis-tarda/
    The Lib Dems would like to be reintroduced in Wiltshire as well.
  • Options

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

If it's any consolation, I once canvassed an old boy in the 1980s who wouldn't vote for the Liberals because, and I quote, "They were responsible for the First World War"!
    I appreciate his committment to holding a grudge. If people are going to bang on about historical political issues they should go waaaay back.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Leon said:

Depends.

None. They'll just borrow it. The British voters don't give a fuck how anything gets paid for.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Over dinner a huge news story breaks - wonky Wonka bars that can kill, seized in Oxford Street 😧

You just never know when the Vermicious Knids will strike.

The resignation thing? Why couldn’t have done that this morning, why wait till dinner? What did he need, Dutch Courage?

Can I ask about the header photo - are those actual Horni folk, or a library picture to indicate what a crowd of Lib Dems could look like? Why do they have a flag with a pigeon on it?

Maggie Thatcher on the LibDem logo:

"I gather that during the last few days there have been some ill-natured jokes about their new symbol, a bird of some kind, adopted by the Liberal Democrats at Blackpool. Politics is a serious business, and one should not lower the tone unduly. So I will say only this of the Liberal Democrat symbol and of the party it symbolises. This is an ex-parrot. It is not merely stunned. It has ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker. It is a parrot no more. It has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is a late parrot. And now for something completely different."

- M. H. Thatcher, 12th Oct 1990.
    I remember that. It was embarrassing. It was obviously written for her and she obviously had not a clue about the dead parrot sketch.
    She did notlob a grenade of humour into it, certainly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1-u8m0eZ_g

That was perfectly delivered. What’s wrong with you? Lady Thatcher is the best 😍

It meant to be delivered as though politics is a serious business.

It’s a genius speech.

And now for something completely different amazing punchline.
    Nearest match to the "pigeon flag" I could find is this:

A bustard is hardly a pigeon! Being the heaviest flying bird and that. It could easily carry a coconut under each wing.....
    Don't blame me! @MoonRabbit called it a "pigeon"!

Actually, belay the "Wiltshire" bit - you can put any county or name at the top!

Don’t blame MoonRabbit, I didn’t have the whole bustard to go on. Top of its head and beady eye looks like a pigeon.
    You'd never make a twitcher! The moustache is all you need to nail the ID...
    Moustache?

Anyway, back to the serious stuff - you had been anticipating a poll announcement from Libdems, the fact it’s this one makes you think they are on course or do you still have your suspicions Mark?
    The Great Bustard is W-A-Y more important than the Libdems!

https://birdguide.club/bustards/great-bustard-otis-tarda/
    The Lib Dems would like to be reintroduced in Wiltshire as well.
    Must be a fair chance in Salisbury, the way things are going.
  • Options

Foxy said:

@MoonRabbit

Speak for yourself :lol:
    She had her hair back today Sunil. A fresh look.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

I once canvassed someone who said he would never vote liberal for all the damage we had done. This was at a time when Surrey County had always been Tory, the Borough was 100% Tory and pre coalition by some time so no liberal in govt for decades. How had we done damage? I mean gives us a break and give us a chance to completely screw it up like everyone else.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

Ironically the Tories seem to have dodged the blame
    Perhaps it undercut their rock solid support among those aged 18-22.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
    I don't agree with turbotubb's complete embargo on jokes involving murderous tyrants, but whenever people make that particular point I don't think it is as cutting as some evidently think it is. It was a rather different time and critical moment, and even afterwards the geopolitical situation was quite different.

There's lots of things people might have said that once might have made sense, even if not worthy of approval, which doesn't speak to now.
    So you would be fine with Hitler’s Mein Kampf being brought into the chamber?

Here’s the thing. People on the right see Mao as evil, hence turbo’s comments. So we put Hitler and Mao in the evil category.

However, people on the left seem to have this view of “his heart was in the right place”.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

kle4 said:

What the hell is going on with Bozza's hair? Has he had an unfortunate accident with a van der Graaf generator?
    It's performative.
    Best ignored.
    The economy's in the toilet and the bloke's a fraud. Focus.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

Here’s the thing. People on the right see Mao as evil, hence turbo’s comments. So we put Hitler and Mao in the evil category.

However, people on the left seem to have this view of “his heart was in the right place”.
    Such as? I'm on the left and I don't.
    I've been railing against the PRC since long before it was fashionable.
    When Osborne.was coming over the profits.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice .
    The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

You've extrapolated rather wildly. I agree that tyrants like Mao and, remarkably, even Stalin somehow get to be seen as more generally acceptable somehow, and that is genuinely strange. You seem to be presuming a political position I don't hold.

I'm just not as viscerally opposed to dark, inappropriate jokes.

I also don't have an issue with an MP bringing up those examples, because if they did they would get pilloried for it. Whilst McDonnell didn't draw shocked gasps he got ridiculed by Osborne for it, the equivalent of a pillorying, and that seems to be the predominant memory most have of the incident.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

Exactly, the average LD voter now is an upper middle class, high earning, Home Counties Remainer who used to vote Tory.

Not very accurate (apart from the Remainer bit) LD support is thin, but actually surprisingly evenly spread by age, geography and social class. Much more so than either Lab or Tory. Indeed it is that wide but thin support that hurts at FPTP elections.
    No, the LDs now are the real posh peoples' party.

In 2019 for example the LDs got 12% overall but 20% with those earning over £70,000 a year and 17% with those with at least a degree and 16% with upper middle class ABs.

The LDs also have not a single seat in the Midlands or Wales apart from North Shropshire (which they will likely lose at the next general election as it was a by election win) and only 1 in the North of England and 1 in the South West, expensive Spa town Bath. 3 of their MPs are in the Home Counties and 3 in South West London and the rest in Scotland and it is those regions where their support is now concentrated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Depends.

None. They'll just borrow it. The British voters don't give a fuck how anything gets paid for.
    I'm somewhat amazed, and pleased, that voters anywhere do. Good for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Half an hour into World Tonight.
    Not a mention of Rwanda or the NIP. Bloody lefties.
    Now on about the 9 Euro a month national rail travel in Germany.
    Now there is a radical idea.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Biden issues an executive order to "use the full force of the federal government to prevent inhumane practices of conversion therapy".

He's going well beyond the nuanced approach of Johnson and isn't making a distinction between sexual orientation and gender identity.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1537179824388644864
  • Options

kle4 said:

He keeps one in his pocket.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Did that happen when The Emperor was in his War Room?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Update. Mail and Express going huge on the ECHR angle of what Mail call Rwanda flight fiasco. They also call Dame Deborah Bowel Babe 🫣

As I understand it, the ECHR removed just one person from the flight so hardly grounded it. Going big on throwing a smelly dead red herring on the table I predict will come back as a big problem for the Tories and these papers - they are trying to create a bogeyman here, that isn’t actually the obvious bogeyman that threw the spanner in the works. If you create a bogeyman you create a pressure to deal with that bogeyman, but if you deal with this bogeyman you haven’t actually dealt with the spanner in the works.

Trust me. You will watch it all unwind just like this in the coming days 🙂
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I think it quite possible that at some point the Cons will flip back to the pro-EU position that they held for the half century to 2016.
    If I had to guess, in the event that the UK drifts back to an EEA-alike situation, the "pay, obey, not much say" aspect is going to chafe much more for Conservatives than others. But that's a question for the late 2030's.

If the current UK direction does turn out to be a dead end, reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly, but it will happen, and then anything can happen. Future UK and Future Europe are run by and made of different people to Current UK and Current Europe.

(And the "what about the cost?" aspect is going to be pretty easy to answer. First, the extra admin looks like it swallows up the savings from non-membership. Second, if the UK economy does grow worse than others, we won't be liable to pay much in anyway. Thanks Brexit Backers. Thackers.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

You've extrapolated rather wildly. I agree that tyrants like Mao and, remarkably, even Stalin somehow get to be seen as more generally acceptable somehow, and that is genuinely strange. You seem to be presuming a political position I don't hold.

I also don't have an issue with an MP bringing up those examples, because if they did they would get pilloried for it. Whilst McDonnell didn't draw shocked gasps he got ridiculed by Osborne for it, the equivalent of a pillorying, and that seems to be the predominant memory most have of the incident.
    One big difference is that Stalin and Mao were our allies, at least for a time, but a rather crucial time, so get some credit for that, even though they didn't intentionally become our allies.
  • Options

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

I knew someone who refused to buy the Observer because they were “disloyal during the Suez Crisis”
  • Options

reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly

I think it might be very rapid.

When BoZo goes his entire band of sycophants will never get another Government gig

The Red wall is gone. The Blue wall is gone.

Everybody will want to move on from the King...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

I appreciate his committment to holding a grudge. If people are going to bang on about historical political issues they should go waaaay back.
    Was he from Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Biden issues an executive order to "use the full force of the federal government to prevent inhumane practices of conversion therapy".

He's going well beyond the nuanced approach of Johnson and isn't making a distinction between sexual orientation and gender identity.

Nuanced?
    Boris Johnson?
    If you mean "nuanced" as "What is beneficial to Boris Johnson".
    That isn't in the dictionary as yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If a Tory PM backed a pro EU or more likely EEA policy it would only be after a Labour PM had taken us back into one of them years before and it was again the main party consensus
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

On the discussions about the justice system - there seems to be a new trend in sentencing to link the severity of the punishment with the severity of the harm caused to the victim, including things like psychological harm. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Is a crime less serious because the victim is a stoic character and wishes to simply get on with their life?

Yes. Sentencing for consequences is a thing. The gulf between sentence for careless driving (fine) and death by careless driving (max 5 years) is immense. With death by careless there can't be any element of intention to do the harm, or intention to drive in a dangerous way. It's the offence we have all committed, but usually don't kill someone. But if you do......

And the 'death by' offence is new. It used not to exist. It is part of the new mindset. Understandable but wrong.

Its totally immoral and the result of the poor standard of politicians we have endured for several decades. A chance outcome should not affect sentencing. The sentence should be based on the offence and the motivation of the perpetrator. Some things like using a mobile while driving or drunken driving should be punished more severely no matter what the outcome but the "death by careless driving" offence and similar are a disgrace and should be dome away with.
    The thing that boils my piss.

The government and society rightly condemns people who drive whilst they hold a mobile in their hand, but driving with a burning tobacco in your hand is fine.
    Meanwhile, why is pressing buttons on a phone screen worse than pressing buttons on a built in "infotainment" screen?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

kle4 said:

Update. Mail and Express going huge on the ECHR angle of what Mail call Rwanda flight fiasco. They also call Dame Deborah Bowel Babe 🫣

As I understand it, the ECHR removed just one person from the flight so hardly grounded it. Going big on throwing a smelly dead red herring on the table I predict will come back as a big problem for the Tories and these papers - they are trying to create a bogeyman here, that isn’t actually the obvious bogeyman that threw the spanner in the works. If you create a bogeyman you create a pressure to deal with that bogeyman, but if you deal with this bogeyman you haven’t actually dealt with the spanner in the works.

Nothing matters as long as certain segment of voters remain talking in focus groups about "our brexit", "rwanda", "bloody europe telling us what to do", "unelected lawyers" and so forth.

My advice to Starmer is use their strength as a weakness.

Go nuclear. "I'm a lawyer, I have spent my whole life in the law and the EHRC could be better, so let's bring plans forward to change it". Feck it. Call Raab's bluff and watch the mess.

• Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

One big difference is that Stalin and Mao were our allies, at least for a time, but a rather crucial time, so get some credit for that, even though they didn't intentionally become our allies.
    I’ll give you Stalin, but Mao was barely an ally.
  • Options
    Thursday’s TIMES: “PM under fresh pressure after ethics adviser quits” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1537186968773206018/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    dixiedean said:

Nuanced?
    Boris Johnson?
    Of course.
    Yes.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1511711728702308357
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Consider yourself firmly told off, young lady.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

I knew someone who refused to buy the Observer because they were “disloyal during the Suez Crisis”
    'Disloyal' but, er... right.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Foxy said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If I had to guess, in the event that the UK drifts back to an EEA-alike situation, the "pay, obey, not much say" aspect is going to chafe much more for Conservatives than others. But that's a question for the late 2030's.

If the current UK direction does turn out to be a dead end, reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly, but it will happen, and then anything can happen. Future UK and Future Europe are run by and made of different people to Current UK and Current Europe.

(And the "what about the cost?" aspect is going to be pretty easy to answer. First, the extra admin looks like it swallows up the savings from non-membership. Second, if the UK economy does grow worse than others, we won't be liable to pay much in anyway. Thanks Brexit Backers. Thackers.)
    Ultimately the Conservative Party will return to being the party of rich business people, and then that money talks.

Sure there has always been a Pooterish nationalistic element to Conservatism, but in the end it is about making money and keeping hold of it. That will be the pull back into Europe.
  • Options

Go nuclear. "I'm a lawyer, I have spent my whole life in the law and the EHRC could be better, so let's bring plans forward to change it". Feck it. Call Raab's bluff and watch the mess.

I assume you have seen this

#ECHR https://twitter.com/BelfastAgmt/status/1536844343922896900/video/1
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nothing matters as long as certain segment of voters remain talking in focus groups about "our brexit", "rwanda", "bloody europe telling us what to do", "unelected lawyers" and so forth.

Nah. Ignore.
    The PM is a fraud and the economy is in the toilet. Focus. Eyes on the prize.
  • Options
    Was interested to see a summary of Private Members' Bills being introduced. Sadly, it looks like they all take the process seriously and there are no obviously batsh*t ones (though I am curious why Christina Rees MP picked Shark Fins), though the devil may be in the details and no doubt some would be no good or entirely ineffective.

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/from-maternity-rights-to-terminal-illness-support-the-house-guide-to-2022-private-members-bills
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly

I think it might be very rapid.

When BoZo goes his entire band of sycophants will never get another Government gig

The Red wall is gone. The Blue wall is gone.

Everybody will want to move on from the King...
    No evidence that the blue wall has gone. We have polling in mid term and by elections. Starmer has yet to generate a compelling ‘vote for me’ message, other than ‘I’m not Johnson’. If the blue wall is to go, he needs to make southern right of centre voters think he is on their side. He’s not done that yet. Has he campaigned in T &H yet?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Scott_xP said:

The sick man of Europe will be begging to get back in.

And if it's a Tory PM, you will be cheering them on
    Yet more Remoaner delusions.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Update. The independent has gone huge on the Rwanda story - but from a different angle. “Forced to the floor of the plane, a knee to his head - zoran was told he would be taken to Rwanda no matter what. The 25 year old asylum seeker was strapped into a restraining harness like a dog.”

Personally I don’t believe it. If any of that was really true every paper would cover it, inlcluding the mail - and this government would fall in a week.

The star is out, its not weather, they’ve gone biblical on a pill that replaces going to the gym? 🤷‍♀️

• Options

No evidence that the blue wall has gone.

It's yellow
  • Options
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

Nuanced?
    Boris Johnson?
    Of course.
    Yes.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1511711728702308357
    No. He's a fraud and the economy is in the toilet. Ignore.
    Next.
  • Options
    Wow. Former Cabinet Secretary Lord Turnbull tells @BBCNewsnight that @BorisJohnson "is not worthy of the office" of Prime Minister.
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1537188940431638528
This discussion has been closed.