Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The LDs claim to be just 2% behind in Tiverton & Honiton – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Scott_xP said:

No evidence that the blue wall has gone.

It's yellow
    We’ll see. Who is the leader of the Liberal Democrats? Most people have no clue. By elections is kind of their thing.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly

I think it might be very rapid.

When BoZo goes his entire band of sycophants will never get another Government gig

The Red wall is gone. The Blue wall is gone.

Everybody will want to move on from the King...
    No evidence that the blue wall has gone. We have polling in mid term and by elections. Starmer has yet to generate a compelling ‘vote for me’ message, other than ‘I’m not Johnson’. If the blue wall is to go, he needs to make southern right of centre voters think he is on their side. He’s not done that yet. Has he campaigned in T &H yet?
    The Home Counties blue wall will never go Labour, if it goes it will go LD.

It is reclaiming the red wall Labour needs to focus on apart from Tory marginals in London

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Lord Turnbull: “This matter is not going to be solved by ministerial advisers. It’s going to be solved when enough of his backbenchers can summon up the courage to say that he’s not a man of sufficient integrity that they don’t want him as their leader.” #Newsnight
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1537189041074237440
    Turnbull: “In the opinion of many people, myself included, he [Boris Johnson] is not worthy of the office.”

This is a former Cabinet Secretary speaking about an incumbent Prime Minister. It’s not typical.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1537189584156512258
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,773
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Dinner this evening with my fellow metropolitan remainer clients and colleagues, and spent about an hour defending the Lib Dems against jibes about…tuition fees.

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

I remember it up clearly on every bill board seemingly in the land. No to Tuition Fees.

They didn’t have to so meekly cave on that one at the first sight of shiny ministerial car. Did they?
    No ones hands are clean on this. Tuition fees were brought in by New Labour, and massively increased by Cable at the insistence of the Tories.
    Ironically the Tories seem to have dodged the blame
    Perhaps it undercut their rock solid support among those aged 18-22.
    Indeed…
    In 1990 after minsters told M Thatcher she had to resign they reconnected with their MPs and voters. Since this tame cabinet backed B Johnson after last week’s vote they’ve lost an ethics’ adviser, broken the law while not sending anyone to Rwanda and acted illegally re protocol
    https://twitter.com/steverichards14/status/1537189597255704576
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Foxy said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

1 Tobias Ellwood, most of the remaining pro EEA, rejoin the EU Tory MPs were deselected by Boris in 2019.

If we do rejoin the EEA it will only happen under a Labour led government

Maybe but politics isn't just a short game but a long game as well.

After all, it was a Conservative Prime Minister who took us into the EEC in 1973 and a Conservative Opposition leader who was one of the strongest advocates for us staying in the EEC in 1975.

Yes, a lot has happened since then but fifty years is a blink of an eye in some measures. I follow the adage "never say never" and I could imagine a future Conservative Prime Minister taking us back into Europe if he or she considered it in the national interest so to do.

Not now, not in 10 years but in 20-30 years, who knows?

As a Party loyalist you would of course support the Conservative Prime Minister who took us back into Europe wouldn't you?
    Yes, I think it quite possible that at some point the Cons will flip back to the pro-EU position that they held for the half century to 2016.
    If I had to guess, in the event that the UK drifts back to an EEA-alike situation, the "pay, obey, not much say" aspect is going to chafe much more for Conservatives than others. But that's a question for the late 2030's.

If the current UK direction does turn out to be a dead end, reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly, but it will happen, and then anything can happen. Future UK and Future Europe are run by and made of different people to Current UK and Current Europe.

(And the "what about the cost?" aspect is going to be pretty easy to answer. First, the extra admin looks like it swallows up the savings from non-membership. Second, if the UK economy does grow worse than others, we won't be liable to pay much in anyway. Thanks Brexit Backers. Thackers.)
    This sums up why those who think we will end up back in the EU are going to be sorely disappointed. Repeating the 'pay. no say' myths about EEA membership will get you nowhere, not only because they are simply wrong but also because when anyone looks at rejoining the EU they will see real 'pay, no say' in action. The moves towards removing the last vetoes and making all votes QMV will simply reinforce this new reality.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Scott_xP said:

Wow. Former Cabinet Secretary Lord Turnbull tells @BBCNewsnight that @BorisJohnson "is not worthy of the office" of Prime Minister.
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1537188940431638528

Is that really a 'wow'? I mean, I agree with him, but he's a crossbencher and former top bureaucrat from, what, 15 years ago? Even if we rarely get such comments from former officials, many others have said similar.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

TimS said:

Dinner this evening with my fellow metropolitan remainer clients and colleagues, and spent about an hour defending the Lib Dems against jibes about…tuition fees.

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, or McDonnell bringing the little red book to the Commons, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

If it's any consolation, I once canvassed an old boy in the 1980s who wouldn't vote for the Liberals because, and I quote, "They were responsible for the First World War"!
    I knew someone who refused to buy the Observer because they were “disloyal during the Suez Crisis”
    'Disloyal' but, er... right.
    No Ben, it was right we stood up to US interference in our Middle East - a line was drawn in the sand and the US crossed it, hence Suez was the right response.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    So the Fed increased rates by 0.75% and said to expect the same again next month, so I would have expected this to send Sterling down, but instead it's up more than 1%.

Can anyone explain why that is?
    Team Truss are lobbying for a rule change to allow a second no-confidence vote to be held within six months rather than a year, reveals @Kevin_Maguire in this week's Commons Confidential. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/commons-confidential/2022/06/liz-truss-hopes-second-no-confidence-vote
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Do we still think the MPC will come out with 0.25% tomorrow?

At least, quite likely 0.5%.

0.5% would crash the economy. the impact on mortgage owners would be immense

BoE has been quietly rowing back on its language on interest rates
    That isn't in the BoE's remit and it's why Bailey has no credibility with the markets. They keep worrying about the economy and not the fucking rate of inflation which is destroying the economy. Fuck the landlords and housing speculators that will get burned by rate rises.
    Indeed.
    They are the very definition of "You have one job!"
    If the government doesn't like that they are free to change the remit to another one.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

As Nick Palmer mentions above

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

During a committee appearance on Tuesday, Lord Geidt admitted he is an “asset of the PM” rather than enjoying full independence.

Speaking before the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee (PACAC), Lord Geidt was questioned on whether there was any point to his role as “Independent Advisor on the Ministerial Code”, given the Prime Minister still retains the power to block investigations.

Lord Geidt’s role is directly appointed by the Prime Minister, who retains the sole power to judge whether the rules have been broken and impose sanctions.

Labour MP John McDonnell suggested Lord Geidt’s role was “little more than a tin of whitewash.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

Edit messed up quotes somehow...
    He brought it in to make the point Cameron and Osborne were too much in bed with the Chinese for this country’s good. That they, ahem, had a blind spot to how deep they were getting us in with the Chinese.

Only time labour have had a positive nod from my mum, when they made that point.
    Yes, this is what happened:

"“To assist comrade Osborne about dealing with his newfound comrades, I have brought him along Mao’s Little Red Book,” he said.

McDonnell then was forced to pause, amid laughter from the Conservative benches.

After the Speaker restored order, McDonnell said: “Let’s quote from Mao, rarely done in this chamber. The quote is this: ‘We must learn to do economic work from all who know how, no matter who they are, we must esteem them as teachers, learning from them respectfully and conscientiously, but we must not pretend to know what we do not know.’

“I thought it would come in handy for him in his new relationship,” he added."

I am old enough to remember how cosy the Conservative government was with President XI, and Putin as well.
    There it is again. You think it appropriate to use Mao even as a joke? It’s abhorrent.
    It was the Tories cozying up to the Chinese Communist Party...
    So make the point another way. Mao was evil. It demeans to bring his works into the chamber.
    Calm down turby. What Foxy omitted is Osborne had the last and biggest laugh. As he finished speaking McD tossed the little red book onto Osbornes dispatch box. Ozzy leapt up, made out he looked inside front cover and said “oh look! It’s his own personal signed copy”. Que uproar. Sides literally split on the Tory benches.
    Literally. Grrrr.

Consider yourself firmly told off, young lady.
    Wait. What? Why? This actually happened. Me and my mum watched it.
    Curious on-record statement issued by Downing St on Geidt tonight.

Makes reference to him being “asked to provide advice on a commercially sensitive matter in the national interest” earlier this week. No further detail given. Hmmm.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1537184681942294529/photo/1
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Scott_xP said:

reversal is just going to have to wait for the Johnson-Gove-Farage-Hannan geneation of politicians to shuffle off. That won't happen quickly

I think it might be very rapid.

When BoZo goes his entire band of sycophants will never get another Government gig

The Red wall is gone. The Blue wall is gone.

Everybody will want to move on from the King...
    Supporting the EU is like a football team for you isn’t it? I’ve never understood people who have blind devotion to a political party but I understand an emotional connection to the EU even less.

We ain’t going back in for the reason expressed above. They won’t have us unless or until there’s complete political consensus here, which there won’t ever be. And I suspect that applies to EFTA/EEA now as well.

TimS said:

Yes that’s right. One policy enacted a decade ago which, despite all the somewhat murkier water that has passed under the British political bridge since, despite Boris, and Brexit, and Rwanda, and Corbyn wanting to send Novichok samples to Russia for testing, or McDonnell bringing the little red book to the Commons, seems to remain the Pavlovian reflex whenever I mention I’m a Lib Dem.

Tuition fees.

If it's any consolation, I once canvassed an old boy in the 1980s who wouldn't vote for the Liberals because, and I quote, "They were responsible for the First World War"!
    I knew someone who refused to buy the Observer because they were “disloyal during the Suez Crisis”
    I have no idea what they actually wrote

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnsons-ethics-chief-27245365

So the biggest scalp of this parliament is taken by a discredited Corbynista. Maybe Starmer and Labour's front bench should up their game, unless it really is true they want to cement Boris in place, which I doubt.

Sorry, not for me. Bringing Maos little red book into Parliament was a red flag. Mao was a mass murderer on the scale of Stalin and Hitler, and he thought it right to bring his book into the House of Commons? Why does the left have such a blind spot?

He brought it in to make the point Cameron and Osborne were too much in bed with the Chinese for this country’s good. That they, ahem, had a blind spot to how deep they were getting us in with the Chinese.

Only time labour have had a positive nod from my mum, when they made that point.

"“To assist comrade Osborne about dealing with his newfound comrades, I have brought him along Mao’s Little Red Book,” he said.

McDonnell then was forced to pause, amid laughter from the Conservative benches.

After the Speaker restored order, McDonnell said: “Let’s quote from Mao, rarely done in this chamber. The quote is this: ‘We must learn to do economic work from all who know how, no matter who they are, we must esteem them as teachers, learning from them respectfully and conscientiously, but we must not pretend to know what we do not know.’

I am old enough to remember how cosy the Conservative government was with President XI, and Putin as well.
    There it is again. You think it appropriate to use Mao even as a joke? It’s abhorrent.
    So make the point another way. Mao was evil. It demeans to bring his works into the chamber.
    Calm down turby. What Foxy omitted is Osborne had the last and biggest laugh. As he finished speaking McD tossed the little red book onto Osbornes dispatch box. Ozzy leapt up, made out he looked inside front cover and said “oh look! It’s his own personal signed copy”. Que uproar. Sides literally split on the Tory benches.
    Literally. Grrrr.

I think he's a purist in this losing battle.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/figuratively-literally/
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

That isn't in the BoE's remit and it's why Bailey has no credibility with the markets. They keep worrying about the economy and not the fucking rate of inflation which is destroying the economy. Fuck the landlords and housing speculators that will get burned by rate rises.
    For every borrower there is a saver, who would be glad to get some interest paid at last, and for inflation to be tamed. Mostly the rich elderly homeowners of course, but that is the core Tory vote.
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow. Former Cabinet Secretary Lord Turnbull tells @BBCNewsnight that @BorisJohnson "is not worthy of the office" of Prime Minister.

Is that really a 'wow'? I mean, I agree with him, but he's a crossbencher and former top bureaucrat from, what, 15 years ago? Even if we rarely get such comments from former officials, many others have said similar.
    Thinking about it. Lord Turnbull would be perfect for the vacant role of Ethics Advisor.
    Nominative determinism.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

No Ben, it was right we stood up to US interference in our Middle East - a line was drawn in the sand and the US crossed it, hence Suez was the right response.
    That told them!

Interesting snippet from the Wiki entry on Suez:

"Anthony Eden was accused of misleading parliament and resigned from office on 9 January 1957. Eden had been prime minister for less than two years when he resigned"

Different times, different standards.
    biggles said:

We ain’t going back in for the reason expressed above. They won’t have us unless or until there’s complete political consensus here, which there won’t ever be. And I suspect that applies to EFTA/EEA now as well.

The economic pressure to join is what happened in the 70s.

It will happen again.

Smart Tories will welcome it.

Both of them.
    edited June 2022

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Unless there was Tory offal all over the benches (and I am talking literally not figuratively, no sniggering at the back please) then Stillwaters' reprimand is unfortunately valid.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Must have been a bit of a scene in the Commons when those sides literally split. All those messy intestines all over the floor.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Not sure if this has been noticed before:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.
    BF is holding the line. Trump still clear fav.
    the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice .
    The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Do you feel the same about Stalin being used in a joke by Cable?
    Yes
    What about Churchill speaking positively of Stalin?
    I don't agree with turbotubb's complete embargo on jokes involving murderous tyrants, but whenever people make that particular point I don't think it is as cutting as some evidently think it is. It was a rather different time and critical moment, and even afterwards the geopolitical situation was quite different.

There's lots of things people might have said that once might have made sense, even if not worthy of approval, which doesn't speak to now.
    So you would be fine with Hitler’s Mein Kampf being brought into the chamber?

Here’s the thing. People on the right see Mao as evil, hence turbo’s comments. So we put Hitler and Mao in the evil category.

However, people on the left seem to have this view of “his heart was in the right place”.
    You've extrapolated rather wildly. I agree that tyrants like Mao and, remarkably, even Stalin somehow get to be seen as more generally acceptable somehow, and that is genuinely strange. You seem to be presuming a political position I don't hold.

I'm just not as viscerally opposed to dark, inappropriate jokes.

I also don't have an issue with an MP bringing up those examples, because if they did they would get pilloried for it. Whilst McDonnell didn't draw shocked gasps he got ridiculed by Osborne for it, the equivalent of a pillorying, and that seems to be the predominant memory most have of the incident.
    One big difference is that Stalin and Mao were our allies, at least for a time, but a rather crucial time, so get some credit for that, even though they didn't intentionally become our allies.
    I’ll give you Stalin, but Mao was barely an ally.
    The Chinese people were though. When we had airmen shot down the Chinese villagers helped them escape, then the Japs murdered the entire village for helping us.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I disagree. BoE should hold their fire. Too much uncertainty. Monetarists are noting that broader money supplies have gone seriously down recently iirc.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Whose sides split? And who cleaned up the mess? I’m assuming it would be a by-election causing event…
    Scott_xP said:

Lord Turnbull: “This matter is not going to be solved by ministerial advisers. It’s going to be solved when enough of his backbenchers can summon up the courage to say that he’s not a man of sufficient integrity that they don’t want him as their leader.” #Newsnight

'aint that the truth and like waiting for Godot, we may be some time...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.
    If a zero-tariff trade agreement had been on offer back then, we never would have joined.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Must have been a bit of a scene in the Commons when those sides literally split. All those messy intestines all over the floor.
    Not a spine to be seen strangely.

Scott_xP said:

'aint that the truth and like waiting for Godot, we may be some time...
    In fairness they did not pick him for his integrity, so they won't judge him by it either.

They picked him to be a winner, and to get over the line enough need to think he no longer is one. What will convince them? There will always be excuses for by-election and local election losses.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Unless there was Tory offal all over the benches (and I am talking literally not figuratively, no sniggering at the back please) then Stillwaters' reprimand is unfortunately valid.
    But it wasn’t far short of that real side splitting laughter.

Is this another bizarre PB in joke “side splitting laughter” 🤷‍♀️
  • As a matter of curiosity, are we allowed to quote, mock, enlist, criticise or praise Napoleon yet? OK, he's French, I know, but is he a Great Liberator or Appalling European Tyrant for Parliamentary and/or PB purposes?

If a zero-tariff trade agreement had been on offer back then, we never would have joined.

We created one

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Might there be a defence if several corpulent Tories split the sides of their trousers, literally?

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

Not a spine to be seen strangely.
    One or two. Hard to bend over backwards for the leader without a spine.
    Scott_xP said:

We created one
    Yes, in 2019.

TimS said:

Tuition fees.

Suez was a fiasco. The moment that Britain lost its superpower status in the eyes of the world. Within a decade the Empire had gone, the international credibility of British power having been destroyed by Nasser, with a little help from Eisenhower.
    Foxy said:

Suez was a fiasco. The moment that Britain lost its superpower status in the eyes of the world. Within a decade the Empire had gone, the international credibility of British power having been destroyed by Nasser, with a little help from Eisenhower.

And Brexit is worse.

the international credibility of British power having been destroyed by BoZo, with a little help from Nigel Fucking Farage.

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

DeSantis is now favourite on PredictIt for the Republican nomination, ahead of Trump.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7053/Who-will-win-the-2024-Republican-presidential-nomination

Someone tell Trump, he will immediately seek to destroy DeSantis, hopefully undermining them both.
    The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes
    I don't agree with turbotubb's complete embargo on jokes involving murderous tyrants, but whenever people make that particular point I don't think it is as cutting as some evidently think it is. It was a rather different time and critical moment, and even afterwards the geopolitical situation was quite different.

There's lots of things people might have said that once might have made sense, even if not worthy of approval, which doesn't speak to now.

Here’s the thing. People on the right see Mao as evil, hence turbo’s comments. So we put Hitler and Mao in the evil category.

However, people on the left seem to have this view of “his heart was in the right place”.
    You've extrapolated rather wildly. I agree that tyrants like Mao and, remarkably, even Stalin somehow get to be seen as more generally acceptable somehow, and that is genuinely strange. You seem to be presuming a political position I don't hold.

I also don't have an issue with an MP bringing up those examples, because if they did they would get pilloried for it. Whilst McDonnell didn't draw shocked gasps he got ridiculed by Osborne for it, the equivalent of a pillorying, and that seems to be the predominant memory most have of the incident.
    One big difference is that Stalin and Mao were our allies, at least for a time, but a rather crucial time, so get some credit for that, even though they didn't intentionally become our allies.
    The Chinese people were though. When we had airmen shot down the Chinese villagers helped them escape, then the Japs murdered the entire village for helping us.
    Chinese role as an ally in WW2 should never be gainsaid. There were more Japanese troops tied down in China than the rest of the Pacific put together. Some by the Communists, some by the KMT.
    Would have been a different war had they capitulated
    Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.
    Right. We joined in the 70s because we decided it was an economic necessity, but we decided to leave in 2016 because we decided there were more important things than the economy.

Why would we want to repeat the experience?

Rejoin only becomes worth the hassle when the country decides it wants to join for more durable reasons than a crisis of economic self-confidence.

As a matter of curiosity, are we allowed to quote, mock, enlist, criticise or praise Napoleon yet? OK, he's French, I know, but is he a Great Liberator or Appalling European Tyrant for Parliamentary and/or PB purposes?

Or Julius Caesar, or Ghenghis Khan? Both were notoriously brutal.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    A by-election candidate writes:

The Tory Party has gone mad. I'm not sure if it can be saved.

For the time being, there's no national alternative on the centre-right but that cannot continue if it carries on down this road.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1537192663207886848

He's not wrong, is he?
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For every borrower there is a saver, who would be glad to get some interest paid at last, and for inflation to be tamed. Mostly the rich elderly homeowners of course, but that is the core Tory vote.
    True though that is, there are very few phrases that governments feel they need to avoid appearing in the headlines at any cost. One is "NHS collapse". Another is "negative equity".

As a matter of curiosity, are we allowed to quote, mock, enlist, criticise or praise Napoleon yet? OK, he's French, I know, but is he a Great Liberator or Appalling European Tyrant for Parliamentary and/or PB purposes?

It's too early to say.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.
    Right. We joined in the 70s because we decided it was an economic necessity, but we decided to leave in 2016 because we decided there were more important things than the economy.

Rejoin only becomes worth the hassle when the country decides it wants to join for more durable reasons than a crisis of economic self-confidence.
    Well, "we" in this case being 37% of UK adults. The poat-referendum negotiations, if in any way democratic, should have reflected how wafer-thin majority this was.
    Scott_xP said:

My advice to Starmer is use their strength as a weakness.

Go nuclear. "I'm a lawyer, I have spent my whole life in the law and the EHRC could be better, so let's bring plans forward to change it". Feck it. Call Raab's bluff and watch the mess.

I assume you have seen this

#ECHR https://twitter.com/BelfastAgmt/status/1536844343922896900/video/1
    Very droll.

I was being rather devil's advocate to be honest. But Starmer needs to do something to shake the tree. If he did call for a British Bill of Rights then it would play the wedge card back on tory party which is split between peeps with seats facing LibDem/Remain/Decent and red meat loony tunes types. Getting them to fight over ECHR rewrite would be fun.

And i think i am right in saying that little video made the point that we have been doing this stuff for centuries.

I am no legal expert but if the ECHR disappeared tomorrow most of it would still be UK common law and has been for decades.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Literally. Grrrr.

But it wasn’t far short of that real side splitting laughter.

Is this another bizarre PB in joke “side splitting laughter” 🤷‍♀️
    No, it is the use of the word literally. It means the thing being described actually happened. So to say "Sides literally split" means there was actual physical rending of flesh with all the consequent blood and gore. Use of the word 'literally' in any other context than a description of an actual physical occurrence is strongly disliked by anyone who likes the complexity and wonder of the English language.

Plus of course, PB pedantics demands that such a crime against the English language not go unpunished
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

Chinese role as an ally in WW2 should never be gainsaid. There were more Japanese troops tied down in China than the rest of the Pacific put together. Some by the Communists, some by the KMT.
    Hence China being the 4th of the great wartime alliance, and getting the permanent seat at the UNSC, albeit initially the KMT.

It's too early to say.
    Mainly we say he was short.

Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.

...or when we remember that the economy is more important than blue passports (that we could have had anyway).

I was going to say pre-20th century figures are probably fair game all around, but thesedays that's probably not the case. I'd go 16th century or earlier for any praise (outside specific thinkers/authors, but be cautious), after that and you get into the busier periods of Empire and slavery etc, and so the, er, less salubrious acts and opinions seem to resonate more with people via the closer connection.

For the time being, there's no national alternative on the centre-right but that cannot continue if it carries on down this road.

He's not wrong, is he?

Farage and Banks will sort the problem.

He's not wrong, is he?

I’m the epitome of the centre right who never gets a policy decision wrong, perhaps it’s my moment to step forward.

But I’m going shopping tomorrow, so off to bed now.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Everything on Twitter seems to need prefacing with 'Wow.'. Everything is always some sort of 'zinger' smart alec comparison that bears no actual scrutiny too. 'Wow. Only this morning Boris claimed to be eating breakfast. Now? Lunch.'
    edited June 2022

He's not wrong, is he?

Maybe, though it'd still take a lot for me to think regionalist parties was the answer outside pretty rare areas.
    kle4 said:

I was going to say pre-20th century figures are probably fair game all around, but thesedays that's probably not the case. I'd go 16th century or earlier for any praise (outside specific thinkers/authors, but be cautious), after that and you get into the busier periods of Empire and slavery etc, and so the, er, less salubrious acts and opinions seem to resonate more with people via the closer connection.
    Caligula says 'Hi!'

kle4 said:

Caligula says 'Hi!'
    People wouldn't get offended by use of Caligula for any purpose I think, including praise or mockery.
    Foxy said:

Cameron Murray
  • KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    Foxy said:

Surely there is someone equally divisive in our own history?

Someone who laid the foundations for the Royal Navy and introduced professionalism into public administration?

His treatment of the Catholics and unrepentant Royalists was brutal even by the standards of the age.
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

Hence China being the 4th of the great wartime alliance, and getting the permanent seat at the UNSC, albeit initially the KMT.
    And indeed. Who threw the KMT under the bus in favour of a veto for Mao?
    Why, that notorious romantic lefty Nixon.
    We've all got a soft spot for him.

Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.

...or when we remember that the economy is more important than blue passports (that we could have had anyway).
    As Joni Mitchell sang "you don't know what you've got till it's gone"

The pressure to rejoin, initially the EEA then the EU, will not just be driven by economic factors, important though they are, but a real desire to be part of the wider European political and cultural landscape. It is there already, and despite Brexiteers wishes thriving rather than atrophying.

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Everything on Twitter seems to need prefacing with 'Wow.'. Everything is always some sort of 'zinger' smart alec comparison that bears no actual scrutiny too. 'Wow. Only this morning Boris claimed to be eating breakfast. Now? Lunch.'
    Wow, what a great point!

I saw someone the other day lamenting pretty much any plan being described as a plot, as in 'LDs plot to win seats in the South'.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

He's not wrong, is he?

I think he is.
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

The what now?
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes

Of course at that point Mao still had to commit his greatest crimes. Otoh Stalin had Holomodor, show trials, the Gulags and Katyn under his belt, achievements of which I’m sure Churchill was totally unaware.
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Turnbull: “In the opinion of many people, myself included, he [Boris Johnson] is not worthy of the office.”

This is a former Cabinet Secretary speaking about an incumbent Prime Minister. It’s not typical.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1537189584156512258

Eh? There are precedents so its not untypical. His opinion is worth listening to but let’s not do Newsnight’s ratings chasing fight to not be cancelled for it and pretend it has the scoop of the decade.
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

No evidence that the blue wall has gone.

It's yellow
    We’ll see. Who is the leader of the Liberal Democrats? Most people have no clue. By elections is kind of their thing.
    As a child I thought Gerry Adams was called Sinn Fein (the news would say 'Sinn Fein says X' and show his picture!), maybe parties should consider leaders adopting the name of their party? (Better than the reverse, seen in too many places).
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

And Brexit is worse.

the international credibility of British power having been destroyed by BoZo, with a little help from Nigel Fucking Farage.
    I think you're stuck in a timewarp where every day is June 24th 2016.

Things move on and right now, neither France nor Germany's foreign policies look particularly coherent. I think you will increasingly see a more positive tone in the way the UK is perceived internationally over the next few years.
    Yes, the rest of the world has moved on. You can see it in the reaction to the NI stuff. Everyone wants to keep it limited from spilling over into the big issues.
    Leon said:

We will all have to change passports AGAIN

Why? What's happened.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited June 2022
    A key significance of Geidt for me is that it reignites the Partygate coverage. Just what St. Bozo didn't want.

It also, very dangerously for him , has the potential to thread together the questions of ethics from Partygate, with Rwanda, and even international law-breaking over Brexit, and to someone recast or reverse them. A dangerous narrative for the government at this time.
    "Dominic Raab looks into whether ministers can ignore last-minute injunctions from Strasbourg court amid fury over blocking Rwanda migrant flight"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10921181/Dominic-Raab-looks-ministers-IGNORE-minute-injunctions-Strasbourg-court.html
    edited June 2022
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

I saw someone the other day lamenting pretty much any plan being described as a plot, as in 'LDs plot to win seats in the South'.
    The ones that get me are “row” and “pressure”. You get it a lot on the news.

“Today there’s been a row about X”. Has there? Between who? Anyone other than expected political opponents?

“The Government/Opposition is under pressure over Y”. Is it? From who? You? It’s standard opponents?
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

biggles said:

It will happen again.

Both of them.

As Joni Mitchell sang "you don't know what you've got till it's gone"

The pressure to rejoin, initially the EEA then the EU, will not just be driven by economic factors, important though they are, but a real desire to be part of the wider European political and cultural landscape. It is there already, and despite Brexiteers wishes thriving rather than atrophying.
    Hahahahahaha. That you actually believe that is really funny.
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

“Today there’s been a row about X”. Has there? Between who? Anyone other than expected political opponents?

The Government/Opposition is under pressure over Y”. Is it? From who? You? It’s standard opponents?
    For me it's controversial, as in controversial policies.

Rwanda is an example where the scale and nature of opposition is such it can be confidently described as controversial. But pretty much any policy can be called controversial if you use it at its most basic to mean there is disagreement about it.
    One other key thing about Mao is that his political philosophy caught the zeitgeist in many other countries, while both Hitler and Stalin could only impose theirs by force.

This recent work on the legacy of Maoism doesn't skate over his brutality, but does give some insight into how he became a cult in many other countries. Well worth a read.

Maoism: A Global History https://amzn.eu/d/iaO5d4M

Interesting not least because Xi is now moving in a Maoist direction compared to other recent Chinese leaders, with his cult of personality, crackdown on foreign influences, ethnic minorities, and even moves against the rich and cultural influencers.
    edited June 2022

Scott_xP said:

Go nuclear. "I'm a lawyer, I have spent my whole life in the law and the EHRC could be better, so let's bring plans forward to change it". Feck it. Call Raab's bluff and watch the mess.

Very droll.

I was being rather devil's advocate to be honest. But Starmer needs to do something to shake the tree. If he did call for a British Bill of Rights then it would play the wedge card back on tory party which is split between peeps with seats facing LibDem/Remain/Decent and red meat loony tunes types. Getting them to fight over ECHR rewrite would be fun.

And i think i am right in saying that little video made the point that we have been doing this stuff for centuries.

I am no legal expert but if the ECHR disappeared tomorrow most of it would still be UK common law and has been for decades.

Whilst this may be true, do you not think there is an argument for leading by example? For all its flaws, the basic principle of the ECHR is one to be admired and supported and the fact that countries with their own strong traditions of rights are willing to take part surely sends the right sort of message to those countries with poorer records.
    Mao means cat.
    Chinese onomatopoeia never ceases to amaze
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

The Government/Opposition is under pressure over Y”. Is it? From who? You? It’s standard opponents?
    For me it's controversial, as in controversial policies.

Rwanda is an example where the scale and nature of opposition is such it can be confidently described as controversial. But pretty much any policy can be called controversial if you use it at its most basic to mean there is disagreement about it.
    Very true. Doubly so when there’s no effort made to explain said policy or place it in any context. The “drama” is the story, not the policy.

Scott_xP said:

Very droll.

Whilst this may be true, do you not think there is an argument for leading by example? For all its flaws, the basic principle of the ECHR is one to be admired and supported and the fact that countries with their own strong traditions of rights are willing to take part surely sends the right sort of message to those countries with poorer records.
    Yes. As I say I am being rather mischievous this evening after a couple of drinks and trying to push Starmer to do something, anything to get out of the wedge hole he is in.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Foxy said:

One other key thing about Mao is that his political philosophy caught the zeitgeist in many other countries, while both Hitler and Stalin could only impose theirs by force.

This recent work on the legacy of Maoism doesn't skate over his brutality, but does give some insight into how he became a cult in many other countries. Well worth a read.

Interesting not least because Xi is now moving in a Maoist direction compared to other recent Chinese leaders, with his cult of personality, crackdown on foreign influences, ethnic minorities, and even moves against the rich and cultural influencers.

I think it was because he looked so nice and friendly. He couldn't possibly be a blood-soaked tyrant when he looked like the Pilsbury doughboy.
    edited June 2022
    Cromwell remains a hero to many. His genocide skated over.
    Me? I'm ancient and loyal.
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

“The Government/Opposition is under pressure over Y”. Is it? From who? You? It’s standard opponents?
    "fury" is the number one word for Daily Mail and others.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Why? What's happened.
    @leon has lost his in a bar in Georgia?
    dixiedean said:

Mao means cat.

Mao does rather have the appearance of a cat too, how nominatively appropriate!

Studying and understanding these great villains doesn't require admiration of them. History never repeats exactly but there is rather more than a whiff of Mao to Xi, and Stalin to Putin.
    edited June 2022

biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

Yea that grates. I tell you other one that annoys me, while I’m on my high horse. It’s headlines phrased in the form:

Biggles “is an X” says Y.

Instead of:

Y accuses Biggles of being an X.

I think they are very unfair on the subject as, particularly on things like the BBC front page, those just skimming will simply absorb that “Biggles is an X”. Saving words, but at a cost.

Foxy said:

I think it was because he looked so nice and friendly. He couldn't possibly be a blood-soaked tyrant when he looked like the Pilsbury doughboy.
    That might have helped, but it was his philosophy that lit revolutionary movements across the world, who weren't noted for their cuddliness, from Italian Red Brigades, to Peruvian Shining Path to US Black Panthers.
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Mao means cat.

Studying and understanding these great villains doesn't require admiration of them. History never repeats exactly but there is rather more than a whiff of Mao to Xi, and Stalin to Putin.
    Lloyd-George to Boris….
    biggles said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

Yea that grates. I tell you other one that annoys me, while I’m on my high horse. It’s headlines phrased in the form:

Instead of:

I think they are very unfair ok the subject as, particularly on things like the BBC front page, those just skimming will simply absorb that “Biggles is an X”. Saving words, but at a cost.
    The worst kind of stories are the ones where they invent a narrative through misrepresentation.

- Biggles says X
    - Journalist phones Bertie and says, "What do you think about Biggles saying Y?"
    - Bertie says, "Y is absolutely outrageous."
    - Journalist then prints story: "Biggles slammed for Y"

That's basically how the false story about Priti Patel wanting to starve Ireland came about.
    edited June 2022
    biggles said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

Instead of:

I think they are very unfair on the subject as, particularly on things like the BBC front page, those just skimming will simply absorb that “Biggles is an X”. Saving words, but at a cost.
    Sometimes the headline shows something is a quote but doesn't say who is quoted, which is even worse. You have to click to see who is saying it. Effective tactic, but poor.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Depends.

Whatever the UK's future engagement with the Eurosystem will be, the costs:benefits ratio won't be as good (whatever that means) as Dave's Deal. If we want that much access, the price will be more alignment. If we want that much optout, we will get less access.

But Blue Passports (which we could have had all along, remember) would be an easy bone to throw to British Eurosceptics.

(It would have been an easy thing to keep when passports went floppy in the late 1980s. Heck, for a long time I just had the cheapo low-security British Visitors Passport. Andrew Rosindell's obsession with the evils of the Floppy Pink (yes, he said that) is only one of his absurdities. Spike the Dog was OK, though.)
    Any future engagement will be deemed politically too expensive to undertake.

"Which hospital builds will you cancel to pay for the annual fees, Prime Minister/Leader of the Opposition?"

Nah.
    We aren't ever going back in.
    Because. They won't have us.
    Because. There isn't any guarantee we wouldn't bugger off again after the next election.
    So it won't happen.
    There is one guarantee. Article 50 is changed to be a one-time event. We've had ours. So if we come back, we can never leave.

That would never get through a referendum. So they'll just have to sign us up to it. Like they did for forty years....
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Mao means cat.

They can even be contemporaneous.

*cough..Trump*
  • TresTres Posts: 2,163
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

As he will be.

On a slightly related topic, I’m more perturbed that the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice doesn’t seem to worry that many PBers who express their concern about the way the States is going….
    We're more worried about the dozens of schoolchildren who are actually being murdered.
    dixiedean said:

Mao means cat.

Galloway's role play obviously had other layers of meaning.
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

As he will be.

On a slightly related topic, I’m more perturbed that the attempted assassination of a Supreme Court justice doesn’t seem to worry that many PBers who express their concern about the way the States is going….
    The attempt didn't sound as though it was at all close to being successful, and the US has a long record of assassinations of its Presidents.

Maybe it did represent a qualitative change in the level of political violence, but I don't really see that.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

He's not wrong, is he?

I went to St James's Park (London) via Parliament Square today, and saw this:

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

biggles said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow, what a great point!

Instead of:

I think they are very unfair ok the subject as, particularly on things like the BBC front page, those just skimming will simply absorb that “Biggles is an X”. Saving words, but at a cost.
    The worst kind of stories are the ones where they invent a narrative through misrepresentation.

- Biggles says X
    - Journalist phones Bertie and says, "What do you think about Biggles saying Y?"
    - Bertie says, "Y is absolutely outrageous."
    - Journalist then prints story: "Biggles slammed for Y"

That's basically how the false story about Priti Patel wanting to starve Ireland came about.
    Not just politics. I had a friend, the games author Richard Sharp, now sadly no longer with us, who won the British Scrabble championship one year.

The Telegraph rang him up. "Do you read dictionaries in your bath, Mr Sharp?"

"Of course not, ridiculous idea."

Next day: "I read dictionaries in my bath," says Scrabble champion.

• rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

On the UK leaving the ECHR:

Pensions secretary Therese Coffey: "I don’t think that’s even a question that, I’m aware, is on the table at all."

PM's spokesman: "We're keeping all options on the table."

Maybe they're talking about a different table.

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1537049847643131906

It would be a mistake to leave the ECHR but it is a far more honest policy than pretending to implement laws that are not consistent with it and then moaning about the left establishment, judges and even the EU which is not involved.

I see no problem with negotiating with others to try and update the ECHR to reflect modern life but very much doubt the current lot in power have any interest in the hard work that involves or the patience to make such a tactic work. A serious govt should be doing that and using UK soft power to progress it, whilst accepting and understanding it might take several years for the right international conditions for progress to be met.

Far easier to abdicate responsibility by deliberately creating laws they know will get struck down so the reason the problems are seen to get worse over time lies with the courts rather than government. So I expect we will continue to talk about leaving the ECHR, perhaps a little more loudly over time, but not actually leave it or do anything constructive to reform it.
    Or we could just leave the ECHR and have Parliament change the law subject to democratic consent.

If the ECHR needs to be updated to reflect modern life then we should do that via Parliament, not negotiations.
    As I said, although it would be a mistake, that approach would be a far honest policy. That means it is unlikely to be the chosen path of this particular government. Also I don't think it would be part of a manifesto that could get a majority (unless against another Corbyn type of course).
    I think it's complicated in the UK by the lack of a written constitution.

Imagine a government was elected with 326 MPs in the UK that changed the law so that Jews no longer got the vote. Or that people born in Australia could not own property.

In the US, this wouldn't be possible because there is something above the decisions of Parliament/Congress - the Constitution - that cannot easily be overridden by 51% of those elected. (Who might - as in 2005 - be those chosen by just 35% of voters.)

The goal is to ensure that certain rights cannot be stripped from the 49% by the 51%.

If you wish to rid us of the foreign oversight of the EHCR, then - to my mind - we need to solve this issue.
    Completely disagreed. The USA ought to have shown in recent years just how useless a written constitution is in protecting civil liberties, if the government wants to water down or reverse those liberties then whoever controls the courts controls how the constitution is interpreted. See the USA or the ECHR Victor Orban's Hungary.

The way to ensure that we have a liberal society is to value Jews and others so that we won't elect a government that would do that, and if an horrendous government tried to do that, then we'd oust them and reverse it - not put our faith in documents like constitutions or international courts etc that are not accountable.
    I'm not saying that the US system is perfect (it's clearly not). But your idea of protection of rights is ensuring that someone illeberal doesn't get elected. That's not protection, that's hope and pray.

In the US, during the Trump era, the Supreme Court repeatedly stepped in and said "no, that would be unconstitutional".

Most political systems have checks and balances. That's not an accident.

You seem to propose getting rid of all checks and balances.

And, by the way, this is a particular issue in the UK, because FPTP can create very disproportionate results. In 2005, a Labour government got a majority not very different to Boris Johnson's on just 35% of the vote.
    Sorry @rcs1000 but I wholeheartedly and completely disagree with you.

For roughly 800+ years of English/British history we have, with a few exceptions, evolved our rights in a positive direction, democratically. Key to that has for most of that time, but especially post-Cromwell been a strong Parliament subject to democratic oversight. Of course the demos evolved over time too, but it has worked. We have checks and balances, they're called MPs and General Elections. The ability to 'kick the bastards out' provides a level of oversight, check and balance that keeps our politics by and large honest and allows us to kick out the buggers that aren't.

The problem with relying upon institutions to provide the checks and balances rather than democracy to do so, is that all institutions throughout the course of human history, if they're not subject to regular democratic oversight, end up self-serving and corrupt. From the Roman Empire, to the Roman Catholic Church, from the Council of Europe to FIFA, from SCOTUS to the United Nations - they're all at one time or another corrupted and rotten and with no democratic oversight. So putting our faith in them, breeds complacency and ultimately circumvents and weakens the checks and balance that democracy entails.

Yes most other nations have institutionalised 'checks and balances', but which of them have our track record of successfully evolving and maintaining liberal democracy? The French have iterated through republic after republic trying many institutions and pretty much invented the modern alternative to common law - to much horror. The American worshipping of the Constitution is behind much of what is wrong there today, and in as much as you say SCOTUS may have 'checked' Trump when he was in power, the fact he stacked SCOTUS means his toxic legacy lives on through them unchecked by the fact he lost the election and the voters kicked him out.

There have been many attempts throughout history to design institutions that can provide checks and balances, none of them have succeeded. Because ultimately, we're all human, and any human institution left unchecked can and ultimately probably will be itself corrupted. That is why democracy works, democracy allows you to remove those who are corrupt. If you water down democracy and put your faith in institutions instead then you are the one hoping and praying that the institution you're putting your faith in isn't corrupted, going against the tide of human history, rather than making sure the voters are ever vigilant and able to do the right thing to get rid of them when the time is due.

Yes, democracy may be flawed, and it isn't perfect. Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried, in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends democracy is all perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government - except for all the others that have been tried from time to time ...
    Foxy said:

Wild Swans is one of the best books I've ever read.
This discussion has been closed.