Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson now just a 27% betting chance of going this year – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Why did Stokes put NZ into bat again ?
    Oh well he should at least now have learnt the lesson that you bat if it's a close decision

The golden rule in cricket is that, if you win the toss, you should check the weather forecast carefully, assess the current state of the pitch in great detail, think about the relative strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, consult the historical records...

And then bat.
    Although NZ have confessed they'd have bowled too.
    Merely confirming that all captains should remember W G Grace was right, as he was about any cricketing matter that didn't involve him losing his wicket:

'When you win the toss, nine times out of ten you bat. The tenth time you think about it, and then bat.'
    I think in W G Grace's era, it was probably more true. I've not looked up the stats, but suspect that preparation of wickets has tended to improve with technology, so at that time the wicket was far more likely to deteriorate significantly over the course of several days. So my guess would be it provided a fairly big advantage in the early days of cricket, but that it flattened out (but the myth remained).
    The other thing, of course, is that until fairly recently wickets were not covered. One rain shower...

That being said, I think a pitch is probably best to bat on in sessions 2 and 3 of day one and 1 and 2 of day 2. After the initial bounce has gone and before wear comes into play.

And if you bat first, you would hope to bat until after lunch on day two.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited June 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

The Welsh Tory bid for independence has nothing to do with Welsh separatism, and everything to do with needing to demonstrate independence from Boris to the electorate in 2024.

It’s another sign that Boris is uniquely toxic to voters.

True and what angers me is both our local mps supported Boris despite the evidence he is toxic to them

I have made my views clear that they will lose their seats unless they join the 148

When are the 210 (the other is Boris) wake up and see that across large parts of this country and not least Scotland and Wales he is taking them to a devastating loss
    Delighted that my MP Andrew Bowie is already one of the 148, but what we need now is some movement from those within Government.
    A cabinet resignation or two or three would be excellent
    It would, but it doesn't seem to be happening. For whatever reason, good or ill, it's Boris's party now.

In the case of people like Dorries and JRM, it's obvious that they know that they have zero future beyond a Johnson premiership. Maybe that extends to Patel and some others. But one of the saddest features of Conservative politics since 2016ish has been watching otherwise perfectly capable people abase themselves in the service of someone who regards others as utterly disposable.

What's that line sometimes attributed to BoJo about getting frumpier students from women's colleges to back him with no intention of giving anything in return?
    I would not be so sure, I could certainly see Tory members voting for Patel or even Rees Mogg as leader over say Hunt or Sunak
    If you're serious, then that's genuinely alarming. Surely there can't be enough lunatics in the world to think Rees-Mogg is fit to be anything other than Silly Twit of the Year?
    I could certainly see Rees Mogg as a future Tory Leader of the Opposition.

Tory members love the Mogg as much as Labour members loved Corbyn!
    For the love of God, shut the fuck up.

You have absolutely no understanding of the current Conservative Party. Yes, you are an official in your local Party. I understand that.

So am I. I would rather people listened to me to get an understanding of what the Party represents. You destroy your own credibility whilst giving ammunition to our opponents.

For the record, Rees-Mogg becomes leader only when membership sinks below a thousand. And even then, not if I were one of those thousand.

Again, just STFU.
    I am sorry but it is true. I go to Tory membership events as much as you and most of them are big fans of Rees Mogg. All dinners and speaking events he does in Tory Associations are always sold out
    You seem to have no concept of the difference between a person being an amiable after dinner speaker - and winning the keys to 10 Downing Street. Rees-Mogg is utterly toxic with the public - and activists are smart enough to when they would be committing political seppuku.....

Ditto IDS - who wouldn't even hold his seat.

There are some able people in the newer intakes of the party and trotting out tired has-beens as "future leaders" just deprives them of an opportunity to have the public get to know them.
    You seem to have forgotten those very same activists elected IDS as their leader in 2001.

After a long period in government parties often prefer ideological purity to power, see also Labour who elected Ed Miliband over David Miliband and then Corbyn over Burnham and Cooper and when the Tories lose power and head for opposition they may not be any different
    As well as the fact that Ed Miliband had been a Cabinet minister throughout Brown's Premiership and, although he ran a little to the left of his brother, wasn't really an "ideological purity" choice, he also didn't win amongst Labour members.
    Corbyn however certainly did win the Labour membership vote, twice
    And once again, you defend your post on the basis that PART of it was true, ignoring the bit that wasn't.

You're learning from your hero, the PM.
    As has been demonstrated several times today I suspect he genuinely doesn't understand what you have just said.
    Have you posted anything on here today other than attacking me? I am beginning to think you are becoming obsessed with me!
    Yep lots. Stuff on Elderflower wine, cars, student loans, etc.

Maybe you should reflect on why. I don't attack others of different political views so it isn't politics is it?

And it is not just me is it? And it is many who vote conservative as well isn't it?

Maybe you should sit back and think why?

Your lack of apparent comprehension of posts is difficult to believe. Your failure to admit you are ever wrong is mind boggling (note I apologised to someone today for a badly worded post). You fail to understand that many of your posts are statistically or logically illiterate.

@Farooq made mincemeat of you today pulling your post apart for logical and comprehension failures and you clearly didn't understand what was going on. You failed to get @Mexicanpete's joke. You regularly completely misunderstand my posts.

You have no idea this is happening.

I'm sorry if this sounds cruel but it is true. Maybe someone should have posted what @MarqueeMark posted earlier, but I think it needed someone from your own political side to do so.

Sorry.
    No, it is mainly you.

Every time I post something most of your posts are attacking me.

You seem to have a vendetta, it does not bother me, you are just a wet LD whose opinion of me I do not give a toss about. I also could not care less what you think of my intelligence or how many personal attacks you wish to continue to make on me.

However I fear it is starting to become an obsession from your end
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061
    The former US Ambassador to Denmark thinks that middle class Danish people can't afford cars and that's why there are so many bikes.

https://twitter.com/CarlaHSands/status/1535091239246340104
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

The Welsh Tory bid for independence has nothing to do with Welsh separatism, and everything to do with needing to demonstrate independence from Boris to the electorate in 2024.

True and what angers me is both our local mps supported Boris despite the evidence he is toxic to them

I have made my views clear that they will lose their seats unless they join the 148

When are the 210 (the other is Boris) wake up and see that across large parts of this country and not least Scotland and Wales he is taking them to a devastating loss
    Delighted that my MP Andrew Bowie is already one of the 148, but what we need now is some movement from those within Government.
    It would, but it doesn't seem to be happening. For whatever reason, good or ill, it's Boris's party now.

In the case of people like Dorries and JRM, it's obvious that they know that they have zero future beyond a Johnson premiership. Maybe that extends to Patel and some others. But one of the saddest features of Conservative politics since 2016ish has been watching otherwise perfectly capable people abase themselves in the service of someone who regards others as utterly disposable.

What's that line sometimes attributed to BoJo about getting frumpier students from women's colleges to back him with no intention of giving anything in return?
    I would not be so sure, I could certainly see Tory members voting for Patel or even Rees Mogg as leader over say Hunt or Sunak
    If you're serious, then that's genuinely alarming. Surely there can't be enough lunatics in the world to think Rees-Mogg is fit to be anything other than Silly Twit of the Year?

You have absolutely no understanding of the current Conservative Party. Yes, you are an official in your local Party. I understand that.

So am I. I would rather people listened to me to get an understanding of what the Party represents. You destroy your own credibility whilst giving ammunition to our opponents.

For the record, Rees-Mogg becomes leader only when membership sinks below a thousand. And even then, not if I were one of those thousand.

Again, just STFU.
    I am sorry but it is true. I go to Tory membership events as much as you and most of them are big fans of Rees Mogg. All dinners and speaking events he does in Tory Associations are always sold out
    You seem to have no concept of the difference between a person being an amiable after dinner speaker - and winning the keys to 10 Downing Street. Rees-Mogg is utterly toxic with the public - and activists are smart enough to when they would be committing political seppuku.....

There are some able people in the newer intakes of the party and trotting out tired has-beens as "future leaders" just deprives them of an opportunity to have the public get to know them.
    You seem to have forgotten those very same activists elected IDS as their leader in 2001.

After a long period in government parties often prefer ideological purity to power, see also Labour who elected Ed Miliband over David Miliband and then Corbyn over Burnham and Cooper and when the Tories lose power and head for opposition they may not be any different
    As well as the fact that Ed Miliband had been a Cabinet minister throughout Brown's Premiership and, although he ran a little to the left of his brother, wasn't really an "ideological purity" choice, he also didn't win amongst Labour members.
    And once again, you defend your post on the basis that PART of it was true, ignoring the bit that wasn't.

As has been demonstrated several times today I suspect he genuinely doesn't understand what you have just said.
    Have you posted anything on here today other than attacking me? I am beginning to think you are becoming obsessed with me!
    There's no point in engaging with you in any way other than attacking you. You misuse stats, you misunderstand other people's points, you swear blind that black is white.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you are either a troll or you have brain damage. And I'm not trying to be cute here. I'm certain that at least one of those is true.
    As I am one of the few remaining Boris loyalists on here of course part of this is probably an attempt by you and KJH to bully me off the site.

Fair enough, but I will not play ball
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

Again, just STFU.

There's no point in engaging with you in any way other than attacking you. You misuse stats, you misunderstand other people's points, you swear blind that black is white.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you are either a troll or you have brain damage. And I'm not trying to be cute here. I'm certain that at least one of those is true.
    As I am one of the few remaining Boris loyalists on here of course part of this is probably an attempt by you and KJH to bully me off the site.

Get over yourself. I don't give a damn whether you stay or go.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited June 2022
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

Again, just STFU.

Get over yourself. I don't give a damn whether you stay or go.
    {deleted - wouldn’t agree with the joke}
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

Again, just STFU.

One of?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

Again, just STFU.
    Needed saying
    Weird how you’re so happy to encourage jumping and being rude when it’s somebody you disagree with. You’re a twat
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

fitalass said:

Again, just STFU.

One of?
    In over ten years, I can count the number of posts that HYUFD has submitted with which I agree on the fingers of two hands.

Some of the debates before (and after) the referendum were very bitter indeed.

Like a lot of economically dry, socially liberal Tories, I've left the party.

Is he the only poster who switches into campaigning mode around elections? No.

But - it will be a dark day for the country (and for PB) if were unable to talk civilly across various divides.

Bouncing HYUFD off the site is bad news. It's what makes us better than the Faragistas at the end of the day.

"Peace out"
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578

Today, Alaskans are voting in a special election, a "top four" primary: https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_House_of_Representatives_special_election_in_Alaska,_2022_(June_11_top-four_primary)

(I'm sorry that I haven't followed the campaign closely enough to give any betting advice but, if others don't, I'll try to provide some coverage for you, in the next day or two.)

Good starting place

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Alaska's_at-large_congressional_district_special_election

And here is timeline as per this link
    https://elections.alaska.gov/specialelections.php

April 1 by 5pm - Candidate Filing Deadline
    April 4 by 12pm - Candidate Withdrawal Deadline
    April 27 - Ballots Mailed to Voters
    May 12 - Voter Registration Deadline
    May 27 - Early & Absentee In-Person Voting Begins
    May 27 - Voters may apply to request a ballot be delivered electronically
    May 27 - Absentee Review Board Begins
    June 11 - Requests for electronic ballot delivery must be received by 5pm
    June 11 - Election Day
    June 11 - Ballots must either be postmarked by this day or physically received by DOE
    June 11 - First ballot count
    June 15 - Second ballot count
    June 17 - Third ballot count
    June 21 - Deadline to Receive Absentee Ballots
    June 21 - Final ballot count
    June 23 - State Review Board begins
    June 25 - Target certification date
    June 26 by 12:00pm - Candidate withdrawal deadline for the Special General Election [August 16, same day as regular Alaska primary]
This discussion has been closed.