Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson now just a 27% betting chance of going this year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298
    Wow. And people were saying Warwick University was famously boring:

Davies, 27, a former University of Warwick student, began outlining the framework for this neo-Nazi youth movement a decade ago, while he was being monitored by the government’s controversial Prevent programme. [...] The old far-right claims of protecting “our women” and “our children” were stripped away: this new breed of race haters hated women as well, and wanted to encourage their exploitation, sharing dark fantasies about the virtue and necessity of using rape against both women and children. When arrested, these new far-right adherents are increasingly found in possession of exploitive images of young children. Their justification tends to be that this “enables” them to “desensitise” themselves, in preparation for the acts of terrorism and murder ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/11/far-right-activists-britain-white-jihadists-neo-nazi-national-action-jailed

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,885

If only Charlie had said people should think very carefully about sending refugees to Rwanda, everything would be copacetic.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    edited June 2022
    Two very different takes on the battleground position in Ukraine. The Guardian suggests that the Russian bombardment in Severodonetsk is really pummeling the Ukrainian forces and war effort. A report from the Foreign Policy Research Institute argues that Russia has thrown the kitchen sink at a target of no real strategic value and is facing problems down the line.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/10/ukraine-casualty-rate-russia-war-tipping-point

https://www.fpri.org/article/2022/06/the-evolving-political-military-aims-in-the-war-in-ukraine-after-100-days/

FWIW I'm more inclined to agree with the latter analysis but I do wonder if the Ukrainian leadership regrets not withdrawing more forces from Severodonetsk beyond the river and on to the higher ground.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Anybody who thinks Charles is going to moderate his behaviour when he finally gets to wear his mother's bridal veil is fucking kidding themselves. He's had a completely fucked up life that was equal parts opulence, indulgence and duty. He's waited an entire lifetime for it and he knows he's only going to be able to do it for a relatively short time.

He's going to stick his nose into all sorts when he is king.

He might demonstrate the down-side of monarchy. Someone in charge, who cannot be got rid of and has fairly awesome powers available that he can use and is above arrest!
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🧨🧨 NEW. Leaked Treasury memo concedes Boris Johnson’s plan to cut civil service risks ‘adverse impacts’ on frontline services - my latest with ⁦@eirnolsoe⁩ @FT /1
    https://on.ft.com/3xEpuu0

So @BorisJohnson said this week the decision to “prune back” Whitehall departments could be achieved “without harming the public services they deliver” — but no-one agrees with that. Not insiders or experts. /2

People who’s jobs are at risk think that cutting jobs is a bad idea?
    I can think of a great many civil servants whose jobs could be cut to the great benefit of the rest of us.
    *Bias alert as a civil servant*. My experience so far isn't that departments are inherently opposed to the idea of cutting back on personnel but that they want clear instruction from the government about where they should cut. The main problem is that ministers won't accept that if departments cut staff it means they can't do everything they used to do. In my department the vast majority of staff work in customer facing roles. To achieve the required number of cuts it would mean either dialling back on service commitments (shouldn't happen) or doing things like mandating digital only contact (should happen but requires short term pain). It's no use pointing to culture war baiting jobs like diversity officers because even if those roles exist they make up a tiny proportion of the staff in a department.
    *Bias alert as a public sector worker in a customer facing role*

We could axe the entire DfE and it's hard to see how things could be worse in education than they are now. And I mean that quite seriously. what I can clearly see is that there is an issue with people creating work for each other to justify their jobs, because they want to hang on to a cushy number.

Which would be less of a problem if they didn't then all start pulling in different directions and putting more pressure on staff in the front line with extra work to prove they were doing something useful.

At the same time, I do take your point. Politicians should be leading by making policy, not Daily Mail headlines, and there is no way we could manage without administrators at all. Whether we have enough of the right ones or they are doing the right things may be a different question.
    It's also worth mentioning that the one thing that the government could do to radically cut the number of civil servants is to rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    🔴 Senior party officials in Wales decided at a meeting this week to take steps to separate from the English Conservative Party.

One source said that the partygate scandal was the "last straw" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/10/embarrassment-boris-johnson-tories-wales-mull-split-conservatives/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654928621-2
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,339

Applicant said:

Great my student loan is only inflating by 7% now, thanks Tories

It's not a debt, just a capped graduate tax. Unless you're super well paid you're never "paying it off" anyway.
    I’m paying it,
    There’s no doubt I was lucky to attend uni when I did, I.e. before the current fees and loans system.

That said we have decisions to make about higher education. If you as a country wish to send 50% of kids to uni, someone has to pay. It is unpalatable to many to make it out of general taxation. So you either have a graduate tax, or some kind of loan. The loans we have are, as described, a capped graduate tax. I understand why you resent the increase in interest rates. It must feel like you are getting a raw deal. But you did get your degree, which has presumably aided your career, so you are earning more than you might have done.
    I’d also note almost everywhere in the world funds uni in similar ways. American TV shows are endlessly on about the college fund, as an example of families budgeting to pay for it.
    I don’t think we want to turn back the clock and restrict uni to 5 to 10% of the population, so it’s got to be paid for somehow.
    My next policy.

Cut number of people going to uni by half and make the remainder free
    You don’t believe the education is important? Most people seem to regard increasing educational standards as a good thing. The number of poor quality courses is not a high as parts of the media like to sugggest ‘David Beckham studies’ etc.
    Either the teaching is getting better every year or something is going on. Awards of firsts and upper seconds are increasing rapidly across the system.

You can plot on a graph when everyone going to Oxford and Cambridge will be a first. Not many years to go iirc.

The unkind suggest this is connected with student fees. The students are spending massive sums on their courses. The customer gets what the customer needs
    There are a lot of reasons for grade inflation. On my course one of the biggest is the increase of coursework over exams. Secondly the use of semesters with exams twice a year, rather than more pressurised once only. And then there is adjustments, made to ensure consistency between years, so if grades did go down, there is pressure to ‘scale’ marks back up.
    And yes there is pressure to give more and more top grades.
    No easy answers.
    It is brutally obvious what is happening - lots of “success” is good for peoples careers.

Well, the people selling “success”, anyway.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The interesting thing about the Charles story is not that he views the Rwanda policy is appalling. It’s not that he says so in private. It’s that someone wants us to know that he feels that way.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Stereodog said:

ydoethur said:

Stereodog said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

🧨🧨 NEW. Leaked Treasury memo concedes Boris Johnson’s plan to cut civil service risks ‘adverse impacts’ on frontline services - my latest with ⁦@eirnolsoe⁩ @FT /1

So @BorisJohnson said this week the decision to “prune back” Whitehall departments could be achieved “without harming the public services they deliver” — but no-one agrees with that. Not insiders or experts. /2

I can think of a great many civil servants whose jobs could be cut to the great benefit of the rest of us.
    *Bias alert as a civil servant*. My experience so far isn't that departments are inherently opposed to the idea of cutting back on personnel but that they want clear instruction from the government about where they should cut. The main problem is that ministers won't accept that if departments cut staff it means they can't do everything they used to do. In my department the vast majority of staff work in customer facing roles. To achieve the required number of cuts it would mean either dialling back on service commitments (shouldn't happen) or doing things like mandating digital only contact (should happen but requires short term pain). It's no use pointing to culture war baiting jobs like diversity officers because even if those roles exist they make up a tiny proportion of the staff in a department.
    *Bias alert as a public sector worker in a customer facing role*

We could axe the entire DfE and it's hard to see how things could be worse in education than they are now. And I mean that quite seriously. what I can clearly see is that there is an issue with people creating work for each other to justify their jobs, because they want to hang on to a cushy number.

Which would be less of a problem if they didn't then all start pulling in different directions and putting more pressure on staff in the front line with extra work to prove they were doing something useful.

At the same time, I do take your point. Politicians should be leading by making policy, not Daily Mail headlines, and there is no way we could manage without administrators at all. Whether we have enough of the right ones or they are doing the right things may be a different question.
    It's also worth mentioning that the one thing that the government could do to radically cut the number of civil servants is to rejoin the EU.
    Well, I could live with that. But it would be much less emotionally satisfying than abolishing the DfE and probably less important to the country's economic future.

Anyway, it's sunny and there's a cycle path out there with my name on it. Later.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Jonathan said:

Charles spoke in private. It got reported. If HM spoke in private it would not be reported.

It got reported because he wanted it to get reported. Republicans have got one opportunity to get rid of the monarchy, and it's Charles. Will seems to understand the role of the monarch far better than his father, sticking to charitable causes and general messages of conservation for future generations.

As someone who doesn't necessarily care either way it's pretty obvious that Charles is currently the biggest risk factor to the monarchy and he is also the reason the queen hasn't retired from active duty and become queen emeritus.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    edited June 2022
    OK here’s one for @Roger who I know enjoys my travelogues

I’m having a late lunch on Tbilisi Left Bank and I’ve just had maybe the nicest trout I’ve ever eaten

The Azeri lady that runs the joint assured me it was amazing and “very fresh” and I was a bit skeptical but why not.

Superb. Like it was caught in a Caucasus trout stream this morning. Maybe it was. Goes so well with the orange-amber Georgian wine

That’s green “tkemali” sauce up there
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Charles spoke in private. It got reported. If HM spoke in private it would not be reported.

It got reported because he wanted it to get reported. Republicans have got one opportunity to get rid of the monarchy, and it's Charles. Will seems to understand the role of the monarch far better than his father, sticking to charitable causes and general messages of conservation for future generations.

As someone who doesn't necessarily care either way it's pretty obvious that Charles is currently the biggest risk factor to the monarchy and he is also the reason the queen hasn't retired from active duty and become queen emeritus.
    Maybe HM wanted it reported.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The interesting thing about the Charles story is not that he views the Rwanda policy is appalling. It’s not that he says so in private. It’s that someone wants us to know that he feels that way.

He wants us to know he feels that way. This is a plain and simple press briefing by Charles and it shows that he's unsuitable for the top job.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    Another very disappointing performance at the test for England. Somehow, when it is our turn, I struggle to persuade myself that discipline, focus and a grinding determination to work through entire sessions, will be at the fore.

NZ by the best part of an innings looks more likely.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Applicant said:

It's not a debt, just a capped graduate tax. Unless you're super well paid you're never "paying it off" anyway.
    I’m paying it,
    There’s no doubt I was lucky to attend uni when I did, I.e. before the current fees and loans system.

That said we have decisions to make about higher education. If you as a country wish to send 50% of kids to uni, someone has to pay. It is unpalatable to many to make it out of general taxation. So you either have a graduate tax, or some kind of loan. The loans we have are, as described, a capped graduate tax. I understand why you resent the increase in interest rates. It must feel like you are getting a raw deal. But you did get your degree, which has presumably aided your career, so you are earning more than you might have done.
    I’d also note almost everywhere in the world funds uni in similar ways. American TV shows are endlessly on about the college fund, as an example of families budgeting to pay for it.
    I don’t think we want to turn back the clock and restrict uni to 5 to 10% of the population, so it’s got to be paid for somehow.
    My next policy.

You don’t believe the education is important? Most people seem to regard increasing educational standards as a good thing. The number of poor quality courses is not a high as parts of the media like to sugggest ‘David Beckham studies’ etc.
    Either the teaching is getting better every year or something is going on. Awards of firsts and upper seconds are increasing rapidly across the system.

You can plot on a graph when everyone going to Oxford and Cambridge will be a first. Not many years to go iirc.

The unkind suggest this is connected with student fees. The students are spending massive sums on their courses. The customer gets what the customer needs
    There are a lot of reasons for grade inflation. On my course one of the biggest is the increase of coursework over exams. Secondly the use of semesters with exams twice a year, rather than more pressurised once only. And then there is adjustments, made to ensure consistency between years, so if grades did go down, there is pressure to ‘scale’ marks back up.
    No easy answers.
    On a community pharmacy discussion page someone who qualified B Pharm in the mid 50's claims that 'I gained a 2:1 and was in the top 6.'
    His memories often do not coincide with mine (!), although we are of similar vintage, but I would be exceedingly surprised if a 2:1 at the university he attended meant he was one of the top 6 students.
    Terrible thing. memory! Deceitful!!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. Someone in govt needs to be ‘aving a quiet word
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

That seems unlikely, doesn't it. A lifetime of not making her views known and suddenly she's letting her successor's view on a very contentious political subject be known?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ICYMI As the Tories descend into chaos, The Blob is taking back control
    Gove’s school reforms were a triumph. But little by little they have been undone by Whitehall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/09/tories-descend-chaos-blob-taking-back-control/ (£££)
    I'll have what that idiot is smoking. If the article in any way reflects the headline, it's total fucking nonsense and lies from start to finish and the person who wrote it should suffer the fate of first David Irving and then Captain James Sawyer in Lieutenant Hornblower (possibly without the stabbing to death at the finish). Gove's reforms were the ultimate capitulation to the special interest blobs in Whitehall ahead of experts. That's why they've been an unmitigated catastrophe.

What's more alarming is that there are people who genuinely seem to believe this rubbish.
    I'm detecting a major attempt at narrative setting by the right-wing punditry: Brexit, and our agenda more generally, could have been great, but silly old Boris mucked it up by being too stupid, lazy and weak.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited June 2022
    DavidL said:

Oh its here after all.

It does look like he has survived and that the rebels shot their bolt too early. Still deeply suspicious that he triggered that himself.

It's not that they shot their bolt too early, it's that there never was going to be a majority of MPs willing to remove him.

If something emerges later which will be enough to convince that majority he needs to go, then having 'gone early' will not make a blind bit of difference, they won't go 'Oh, we had our chance before so too bad we cannot do anything now'. Going early therefore has no actual drawbacks.

The 'too early' hypothesis relies on assuming the rebels, which are hardly a united group, could or should coordinate very well, and presupposes it to be a grand game of four dimensional chess wherein MPs pushed to the limit to remove their own leader (something they would not do lightly) could anticipate a perfect moment to strike in coordinated fashion.

I regard this as a case of people seeking a complicated explanation for something that is in fact very straightforward. By drips and drabs enough came to believe he had to go. They put in their letters when that happened, excusing only for the jubillee, because it seemed the right thing to do, even if it failed.

Why do I think that? Because there is very little benefit to those rebels personally in acting as they did. Therefore, the simplest explanation is that they genuinely thought his behaviour meant he had to go, and acted as they are meant to do rather than try and game a system they have no means of controlling.

That it failed does not mean a coordinated gambit would have made a difference, especially when that is predicated on the assumption by-election losses would persuade a quite large number of their fellows, and other matters are months off.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

The reason the Queen has not stood down is because she believes it is wrong for her to do so, she intends to reign until her last breath. This has been widely reported for years.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

That seems unlikely, doesn't it. A lifetime of not making her views known and suddenly she's letting her successor's view on a very contentious political subject be known?
    Not at all. If HM wanted to let concerns be known, this is precisely how she would do it.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,002
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Gove’s school reforms were a triumph. But little by little they have been undone by Whitehall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/09/tories-descend-chaos-blob-taking-back-control/ (£££)
    I'll have what that idiot is smoking. If the article in any way reflects the headline, it's total fucking nonsense and lies from start to finish and the person who wrote it should suffer the fate of first David Irving and then Captain James Sawyer in Lieutenant Hornblower (possibly without the stabbing to death at the finish). Gove's reforms were the ultimate capitulation to the special interest blobs in Whitehall ahead of experts. That's why they've been an unmitigated catastrophe.

What's more alarming is that there are people who genuinely seem to believe this rubbish.
    Probably just people who want to suck up to Dom and his Techno-men.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

I’m paying it,

My next policy.

I think there is a possibility the teaching is actually getting better. Bear in mind until Thatcher lecturers had life tenure and many of them merely went through the motions on teaching and research - Hugh Trevor-Roper published one book in his whole academic career and still got a chair at Oxford. And even when I went 20 years ago it was not uncommon for lecturers to have no training in teaching - heck, even my own first contract forgot to say how many hours' teaching I was doing, it just emphasised my research. And that was at Aberystwyth, not even the Russell Group.

As against that, many lecturers do no actual lecturing, leaving it to their PhD students, who are not trained.

The other thing that might be worth remembering though is the way students are now remorselessly drilled at schools to game the systems and pass exams. Our education system is pretty rubbish at telling you what somebody's knowledge of a subject is, but it will tell you whether they're good at exams or not. And that's got much worse since Gove's changes to the system.

And finally, it's entirely possible you're correct and the system is geared towards avoiding failure. I well remember I had to justify failing a student. Fortunately that was made easier in one case because he forgot to delete the adverts when copying off the internet. Apparently he was insecure about the size of something.
    I quite liked all of that pre-Thatcher stuff (at Cardiff it was BTD- before Trotman-Dickinson).

Reading politics at Cardiff in the 1980s we had some real local hero lecturers. Barry Jones, a failed SDP politician and local political media minor celebrity was my favourite. Dr Ann Robinson, an unsuccessful Tory parliamentary candidate,who became something big in the IOD was there too. Professor Roy Jones (who really disliked me) would regale stories of the dialogue he'd had with Hannah Arendt, and the original head of school when I was there (whose name escapes me) was an old Tory policy adviser who once told me he had worked in industry, "two weeks for Accles and Pollock, I didn't like it much". My political theory lecturer was a great guy called Dr Andrew Vincent, an absolute genius, but I didn't understand a word he said. But it was great entertainment. The teaching was shockingly non-existant, but they were all great (lefty academic- predominantly Tory) characters. Better than your current journeymen.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Applicant said:

I’m paying it,

My next policy.

No easy answers.
    On a community pharmacy discussion page someone who qualified B Pharm in the mid 50's claims that 'I gained a 2:1 and was in the top 6.'
    His memories often do not coincide with mine (!), although we are of similar vintage, but I would be exceedingly surprised if a 2:1 at the university he attended meant he was one of the top 6 students.
    Terrible thing. memory! Deceitful!!
    In 1967 in my university engineering department no one gained a first class degree. This is despite the fact that one brilliant Singapore student had to be given 130% in one maths exam so that the rest of the engineering students could get a 40% pass.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If HMs private remarks were leaked, people would be attacking the leaker.

Charles does not get that level of protection and deference. The interesting question is whether that will continue once he become HM.

She would say she had 'questions' about it, for example.

She just has far better judgement.
    She is far better protected, and if something were to leak people like yourself would think twice about attacking HM in the way Charles has been attacked.

I wonder if HM George VII will get that deference.

You really think he's going to adopt that name?

I don't.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, he's by far the biggest ally for the Republicans that they'll ever have.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    DavidL said:

Another very disappointing performance at the test for England. Somehow, when it is our turn, I struggle to persuade myself that discipline, focus and a grinding determination to work through entire sessions, will be at the fore.

Steel yourself for a NZ score of 600 in their first innings.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all. If HM wanted to let concerns be known, this is precisely how she would do it.
    That's completely ridiculous. Can you name a single time when this has been the case? Using her son in this way just seems completely out of character for queenie. If she was against the policy the briefing would be along the lines of asking questions on the importance of this policy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes. Someone in govt needs to be ‘aving a quiet word
    Perhaps someone in government leaked it: 'Charles is a bit of a woke oddball - look at his youngest son and his wife for Christ's sake - and he's been slagging off Priti's Rwanda scheme. Tells you all you need to know about what a good idea it is.'
  • Options
    Oh Potts. Dear oh dear.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

The reason the Queen has not stood down is because she believes it is wrong for her to do so, she intends to reign until her last breath. This has been widely reported for years.
    Yes. It is certainly possible she is also conscious of the potential risks upon Charles taking up the throne (though I believe that risk, for the UK at least, is exaggerated), but I think it is pretty well accepted that she is the kind of person who takes oaths very very seriously. Religiously, even. It might seem silly to most of us, especially when monarchs and even popes step down now, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    DavidL said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

If Johnson sticks around for the next two years then we're in for a really unpleasant time. These 'red meat' policies are only going to increase, turning this once great country into a cesspit of hate.

I know that a lot of you Conservatives on here agree about this, for which I'm grateful.

Good morning

We are doing our best supporting the 148 to remedy the problem
    It's the next 32 you need to be working on, and they are steadfast in their support for BigDog.
    I am not convinced, especially as 65 plus grassroots chairs are about to demand his resignation and Welsh conservatives about to declare independence from the party

New leader for Conference
    In my opinion the previous “lose a vote of confidence this badly and you are soon out” doesn’t apply here.

Lady Thatcher’s end had 2 key differences, she was wedded to community charge and wouldn’t U turn on it, and it was good old days of strong cabinets not cheerleaders, so big beasts rebelled, resigning from cabinet and those that remained telling her it’s over night before she withdrew from race she was in - none of that applies to this scenario.

The Sir John Major actually wasn’t soon removed by his party or gone within a year, don’t know how people can claim he was - it was soon so close to a General Election territory, like it is in this instance another vonc didn’t happen, many who fancied taking over wouldn’t have had much time as PM before possibly losing the election so much preferred waiting for a post election leadership race before beginning their era - very much like in this instance, so good reason why a Penny or Wally riding over the hill to save Tory’s from this purgatory before the general election isn’t going to happen now is it?

Theresa May, especially after losing the DUP over her deal, was a sitting duck for ERG vote strikes and pressure in a way Boris simply isn’t. The real pressure that led to her going was it was impossible for her to go on without passing the Brexit she was strapped to, again doesn’t apply here.

Anyone talking up Boris going soon is actually missing the bigger picture here - the Conservative Party has allowed itself to be hijacked by vacuous populism like the GOP in America. What is Johnsonism - especially fiscally - Is it even the good old winning Conservatism brand? Anyone thinking once Johnson goes all this mess instantly unwinds might be kidding themselves. Do Tory successors stick rigidly to Boris’s hard Brexit deal? Can Boris promises be achieved if they stop borrowing, taxing and spending? Can Johnsonsism even be achieved with high tax and borrowing for big spending, or does governing not work simple quick as that?
    Completely agree with this. What I am not really seeing in the Conservative party is any serious alternative policy proposals. Frankly, the idea of cancellation of fuel duty pushed on here is more substantive than anything from anyone in the party itself whether in the cabinet or out of it. And where have all the centre right think tanks gone? The Conservative party needs a serious think about what it is for and what kind of society it actually wants. I seriously doubt that they can have that conversation in office.
    I agree. Whilst Lady Thatcher went ten years and still thought of as brilliant today on basis of “you turn if you want to, the Lady’s not for turning” the writing has been on the wall for years with Boris government u turning before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, every single day.

It’s a sort of “non government” or opposite of government when you behave like there is a general election next week and you don’t want to upset anybody. It’s just a lot of nothing fuelled by promises.

And then the contradictions and confusions. So far as you have an idea from rhetoric not actions, in his speech this week Boris seemed to say to his cabinet, the ERG, the rest of MPs, the party, the country, international commerce, he was switching from 70’s socialism to ultra dry 80’s Thatcherism now. So where does that leave all his promises of the last six years let alone 2019?

The Tory Party has allowed itself to go Trumpian. It’s very counter to the Conservative Party at its best, counter to its historic selling points. Poor HY will have an epiphany sometime in future and realise he was a fellow traveller and enabler. ☹️
  • Options
    The battle to replace Boris has already started. Behind closed doors, everyone from influential backbenchers so cabinet ministers are courting donors and MPs. Consensus is now that there will be a vacancy in the near future https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/11/uk/boris-johnson-leadership-rivals-analysis-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

The latest from Alastair Meeks, who IIRC left the site partly because he was assailed for being too zealously anti-Brexit. He still is, but critical of the EU too. As always, a smooth read.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/britain-the-third-lost-decade-beckons-588f8f21d5ef

That’s not the true reason he left the site, Nick.
    Correct. It was because there was an ignoramous trolling around and he'd had enough..
    Not really, he was really quite out of order at the end. He seemed to believe that his partners live was endangered by Brexit preventing medication getting through. There was never any prospect of that. He became rather abusive.
    Everything he said about the EU was correct and has since been proven to be and I guess he just got bored with being called TRAITOR! and worse.
    It's easy to see his final comments and why he left. It looks to me like he took irrational personal offence to another poster's perfectly valid position - certainly at the end he was throwing more abuse than he was receiving.
    No he wasn't. And the poster in question felt he didn't want to back down (which was entirely his prerogative) despite the obvious personal offence he was causing.

A lesson well learned in life is to know when to stfu.
    Give posts from the end: "deranged".

Penultimate post: "you disgust me".

Just at a glance.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

rkrkrk said:

Woke Prince Charles attacking Boris again

This is why I think the monarchy may be in trouble when Charles becomes King. He's either not as careful as the Queen, or he doesn't agree that he should be so neutral as to be beyond suspicion.

And realistically, the man has led such an incredibly unusual life - there is going to be some issue where he is way out of touch with the public... eventually this will cause a pretty big controversy.
    He's never going to learn to shut his mouth, is he?

This is very simple. It doesn't matter what HMG policy is or what party is in charge: you shut your mouth and never express an opinion.

If you do, you politicise the monarchy and that threatens it.

It's amazing he still hasn't learnt this in 70 years.
    He interfered in the foxhunting debate a few years ago by saying he would consider leaving the country if it was banned. The reason the Queen is so popular is that she never gets involved in political debates.
    Yes, I agree with him on Rwanda, and disagree on foxhunting, but basically the job descrpition specifies not expressing an opinion. I think he'd be much happier as a newspaper columnist, full of interesting and controversial ideas. Being like that and unable to express any of them sounds like a nightmare.
    Well, of course you do - but bear in mind that works both ways: he might express an opinion you don't like about something you hold strong views on.

What ends up happening is that he'll end up politicising opposition against him from all sides.

If he can't take the heat then he should just abdicate/resign from the line. His Uncle did and so has his 2nd son (effectively) and no-one would begrudge him for it.
    He is the Monarch which means that he can do or say whatever he d*mn well likes and there is very little anyone can do about.

That is precisely what annoys so many people.
    Monarchy works, and I think works very well, but there are rules. Very clear rules.

King George V was a bit slow but reformed during his reign and became very popular, George VI and QEII were brilliant. Edward VII learned to grow up once Victoria died.

But Edward VIII (David) was a complete prat who would have destroyed the monarchy had he stayed. Other disastrous monarchs include George IV, Charles I and James II.

What's Charles III?

He needs to be exceptional to manage the transition from his mother. I'm not sure he is.
    What are these very clear rules?
    I'm not clear about them. Where are they written and what are the sanctions?
    Or are they merely conventions?
    Bagehot.
    So a convention then?
    From a time when the Monarch was far more involved than would be acceptable today.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🔴 Senior party officials in Wales decided at a meeting this week to take steps to separate from the English Conservative Party.

One source said that the partygate scandal was the "last straw" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/10/embarrassment-boris-johnson-tories-wales-mull-split-conservatives/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1654928621-2

They kept looking like being on the cusp of a major breakthrough in Wales, but that moment seems to have passed anyway.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Leon said:

I’m having a late lunch on Tbilisi Left Bank and I’ve just had maybe the nicest trout I’ve ever eaten

The Azeri lady that runs the joint assured me it was amazing and “very fresh” and I was a bit skeptical but why not.

Superb. Like it was caught in a Caucasus trout stream this morning. Maybe it was. Goes so well with the orange-amber Georgian wine

We all love the PB travelogues and restaurant meal posts.

Why is there an ash tray on the table?
  • Options
    Ohhhh, Tbilisi…..

There’s a band behind me playing an old Georgian folk song and the entire street is joining in

You don’t get that in Virginia Water
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The government is wonderful.
    If it weren't for those meddling civil servants.
    They are becoming the new EU.
  • Options

Leon said:

We all love the PB travelogues and restaurant meal posts.

Why is there an ash tray on the table?
    Georgians are big smokers. I’m not. At least, not any more

Note the Ukrainian-flag themed decor behind. It is everywhere here. You see girls in yellow skirts and blue tops, and so on
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

They kept looking like being on the cusp of a major breakthrough in Wales, but that moment seems to have passed anyway.
    I am not surprised. I used to be a conservative-leaning voter, but I struggle to see how anyone can describe themselves as Conservatives these days. Nationalists masquerading under the name of a formerly successful party.....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,987
    Update on pb.com perennial AUKUS zero percent finance contract hire submarine plans.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jun/10/peter-duttons-claim-he-planned-to-buy-us-nuclear-subs-political-point-scoring-defence-experts-say

Outgoing Defence Minister and new Liberal Culture Warrior-In-Chief PeDu reckons he had a backchannel deal going with the US to lease two Virginias by 2030.

The Australians didn't cancel the French deal on perfomance (or lack of) grounds but using the 'convenience' clause which cost them $A840m.

First boat now expected in 2045 according to the new Defence Minister who is salty with PeDu for blabbing that AUKUS is more like AukUS.

They are going to MLU the Collins (because what else can they do?) in an exercise which will probably end up costing more than the SFB.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The battle to replace Boris has already started. Behind closed doors, everyone from influential backbenchers so cabinet ministers are courting donors and MPs. Consensus is now that there will be a vacancy in the near future https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/11/uk/boris-johnson-leadership-rivals-analysis-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html

I think the only sure way to remove Boris now is actually to bribe him. Offer him a few lucrative 'chairmanships' on a couple of boards, which just require him to give a thirty minute pep talk every two years. He might well be persuaded.
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

DavidL said:

Steel yourself for a NZ score of 600 in their first innings.
    At least. And then England will end up following on. And NZ may or may not have to bat again.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    edited June 2022

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

If Johnson sticks around for the next two years then we're in for a really unpleasant time. These 'red meat' policies are only going to increase, turning this once great country into a cesspit of hate.

I know that a lot of you Conservatives on here agree about this, for which I'm grateful.

Good morning

It's the next 32 you need to be working on, and they are steadfast in their support for BigDog.
    I am not convinced, especially as 65 plus grassroots chairs are about to demand his resignation and Welsh conservatives about to declare independence from the party

In my opinion the previous “lose a vote of confidence this badly and you are soon out” doesn’t apply here.

Lady Thatcher’s end had 2 key differences, she was wedded to community charge and wouldn’t U turn on it, and it was good old days of strong cabinets not cheerleaders, so big beasts rebelled, resigning from cabinet and those that remained telling her it’s over night before she withdrew from race she was in - none of that applies to this scenario.

The Sir John Major actually wasn’t soon removed by his party or gone within a year, don’t know how people can claim he was - it was soon so close to a General Election territory, like it is in this instance another vonc didn’t happen, many who fancied taking over wouldn’t have had much time as PM before possibly losing the election so much preferred waiting for a post election leadership race before beginning their era - very much like in this instance, so good reason why a Penny or Wally riding over the hill to save Tory’s from this purgatory before the general election isn’t going to happen now is it?

Theresa May, especially after losing the DUP over her deal, was a sitting duck for ERG vote strikes and pressure in a way Boris simply isn’t. The real pressure that led to her going was it was impossible for her to go on without passing the Brexit she was strapped to, again doesn’t apply here.

Anyone talking up Boris going soon is actually missing the bigger picture here - the Conservative Party has allowed itself to be hijacked by vacuous populism like the GOP in America. What is Johnsonism - especially fiscally - Is it even the good old winning Conservatism brand? Anyone thinking once Johnson goes all this mess instantly unwinds might be kidding themselves. Do Tory successors stick rigidly to Boris’s hard Brexit deal? Can Boris promises be achieved if they stop borrowing, taxing and spending? Can Johnsonsism even be achieved with high tax and borrowing for big spending, or does governing not work simple quick as that?
    Completely agree with this. What I am not really seeing in the Conservative party is any serious alternative policy proposals. Frankly, the idea of cancellation of fuel duty pushed on here is more substantive than anything from anyone in the party itself whether in the cabinet or out of it. And where have all the centre right think tanks gone? The Conservative party needs a serious think about what it is for and what kind of society it actually wants. I seriously doubt that they can have that conversation in office.
    I agree. Whilst Lady Thatcher went ten years and still thought of as brilliant today on basis of “you turn if you want to, the Lady’s not for turning” the writing has been on the wall for years with Boris government u turning before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, every single day.

It’s a sort of “non government” or opposite of government when you behave like there is a general election next week and you don’t want to upset anybody. It’s just a lot of nothing fuelled by promises.

And then the contradictions and confusions. So far as you have an idea from rhetoric not actions, in his speech this week Boris seemed to say to his cabinet, the ERG, the rest of MPs, the party, the country, international commerce, he was switching from 70’s socialism to ultra dry 80’s Thatcherism now. So where does that leave all his promises of the last six years let alone 2019?

The Tory Party has allowed itself to go Trumpian. It’s very counter to the Conservative Party at its best, counter to its historic selling points. Poor HY will have an epiphany sometime in future and realise he was a fellow traveller and enabler. ☹️
    Good day fellow politicalsauruses

Yes, this is all very true.
    The constant stream of bizarre half ideas, kinda revolutions and pick and mix idealism looks, and is, desperate.
    Scrap fuel duty to turn the polls and reset the narrative then use the time it buys to get a hold of the economy, cut taxes to promote growth and focus on getting inflation low and keeping it low
    Then if you want a long term vision, go for it. Home ownership revolutions are, or should be, the cherry on a carefully baked, lovingly prepared bakewell of an economy, not 'thursdays random policy winner'
    Hes destroying important long term concepts and the short term economy because he needs a fucking huge distraction. Its unsustainable and unsupportable.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Australia has now counted 89.7% of the vote.
    There are still 2 Senate seats in doubt, and 4 more only "likely".
    It's one thing we really do well.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I think the only sure way to remove Boris now is actually to bribe him. Offer him a few lucrative 'chairmanships' on a couple of boards, which just require him to give a thirty minute pep talk every two years. He might well be persuaded.
    The Guardian thinks that after 'retirement' he should be able to gross £5m pa. Possibly not, of course in years 1 & 2.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Rishis missus should just pay him and Carrie to f off. The interest on her grocery and pants account is probably a few billion
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,667

Have we had a go at a food policy that includes ' an increase in the use of “responsibly sourced wild venison”' yet?

Which is, apparently, the latest idea emanating from No 10. At least, according to the Guardian!

Indeed. The latest example of keeping their mates happy. But only for the better off. As for the poor, factory food standards will not be improved and seem to be going down too. Seems as if the new modern version of Marie Antoinette's epigram is 'qu'ils mangeant du merde'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/10/worse-than-half-baked-johnsons-food-strategy-fails-to-tackle-cost-or-climate

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/10/defra-report-shows-no-stomach-for-bold-action-on-food-poverty-and-obesity

'More widely on Brexit it hints at food standards that, while not necessarily lower, could be termed more flexible, ensuring rules are “proportionate and based on the best available science”, while scrapping “bureaucracy that stems from old EU rules”.

Critics might say that is the easy bit, politically. Tackling obesity and food inequality was always going to be enormously hard and require radical solutions. The government’s food strategy has seemingly noted that, and so opted instead to simply not try.'

• Options
    dixiedean said:

You can have it quick or you can have it right! Our system is very simple, therefore quick, but is it right?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,667

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not surprised. I used to be a conservative-leaning voter, but I struggle to see how anyone can describe themselves as Conservatives these days. Nationalists masquerading under the name of a formerly successful party.....
    What is so very interesting about this is that it opens up the possibility of the Welsh Tories deciding for independence for Wales, if (for instance) that is the only way to have true Conservatism in the teeth of an eternal Johnsonite regime in London. Quite compatible; after all, our one true Tory happily voted both for the Welsh Tories and PC in the same election.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    edited June 2022
    Ok off topic and one for others particularly @Dura_Ace to roll around laughing at (an engineer friend of mine did): For various reasons I am thinking about getting a classic car (of sorts). I am incompetent at anything practical and don't want to spend much so was thinking of a mint Panther Lima.

Comments?

Someone might need to check @Dura_Ace hasn't died laughing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Scott_xP said:

The Guardian thinks that after 'retirement' he should be able to gross £5m pa. Possibly not, of course in years 1 & 2.
    Really? I would have thought person non-grata pretty much everywhere, and that political memoirs are massive losers on book sales.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619

dixiedean said:

You can have it quick or you can have it right! Our system is very simple, therefore quick, but is it right?
    Yes but any system should have had it sorted out by now.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

rkrkrk said:

This is why I think the monarchy may be in trouble when Charles becomes King. He's either not as careful as the Queen, or he doesn't agree that he should be so neutral as to be beyond suspicion.

And realistically, the man has led such an incredibly unusual life - there is going to be some issue where he is way out of touch with the public... eventually this will cause a pretty big controversy.

This is very simple. It doesn't matter what HMG policy is or what party is in charge: you shut your mouth and never express an opinion.

He interfered in the foxhunting debate a few years ago by saying he would consider leaving the country if it was banned. The reason the Queen is so popular is that she never gets involved in political debates.
    Yes, I agree with him on Rwanda, and disagree on foxhunting, but basically the job descrpition specifies not expressing an opinion. I think he'd be much happier as a newspaper columnist, full of interesting and controversial ideas. Being like that and unable to express any of them sounds like a nightmare.
    Well, of course you do - but bear in mind that works both ways: he might express an opinion you don't like about something you hold strong views on.

What ends up happening is that he'll end up politicising opposition against him from all sides.

If he can't take the heat then he should just abdicate/resign from the line. His Uncle did and so has his 2nd son (effectively) and no-one would begrudge him for it.
    He is the Monarch which means that he can do or say whatever he d*mn well likes and there is very little anyone can do about.

That is precisely what annoys so many people.
    Monarchy works, and I think works very well, but there are rules. Very clear rules.

King George V was a bit slow but reformed during his reign and became very popular, George VI and QEII were brilliant. Edward VII learned to grow up once Victoria died.

But Edward VIII (David) was a complete prat who would have destroyed the monarchy had he stayed. Other disastrous monarchs include George IV, Charles I and James II.

What's Charles III?

He needs to be exceptional to manage the transition from his mother. I'm not sure he is.
    What are these very clear rules?
    I'm not clear about them. Where are they written and what are the sanctions?
    Or are they merely conventions?
    Bagehot.
    So a convention then?
    From a time when the Monarch was far more involved than would be acceptable today.
    It's rather interesting to compare the furore to when Charles first got involved with architecture.

Now obviously, immigration is the more inflammatory and emotive topic, but arguably the built, physical environment of an entire country is just as an important one.

Charles has essentially built a town which he has has publicly advocated as a model for the physical structure of much of the whole country. I have no particular problem with this, and happen to think it's good in some ways, but it's no less a significant public intervention in public affairs - and arguably much more so, because it's not just a criticism but an entire recommended model for how we live.

The comparative silence of right-leaning voices on this particular theme, for forty years ; and in fact, not seeing the comparison at all to begin with, is, shall we say, rather interesting..
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

What is so very interesting about this is that it opens up the possibility of the Welsh Tories deciding for independence for Wales, if (for instance) that is the only way to have true Conservatism in the teeth of an eternal Johnsonite regime in London. Quite compatible; after all, our one true Tory happily voted both for the Welsh Tories and PC in the same election.
    Poor chap will never be allowed to forget that admission!
  • Options
    At last. Leach deserves that. He has bowled well and been let down by the fielding.
  • Options
    kjh said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but any system should have had it sorted out by now.
    One would have thought so. Wonder if there's a specific issue re unclear votes or something?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

Good morning

The constant stream of bizarre half ideas, kinda revolutions and pick and mix idealism looks, and is, desperate.
    Scrap fuel duty to turn the polls and reset the narrative then use the time it buys to get a hold of the economy, cut taxes to promote growth and focus on getting inflation low and keeping it low
    Then if you want a long term vision, go for it. Home ownership revolutions are, or should be, the cherry on a carefully baked, lovingly prepared bakewell of an economy, not 'thursdays random policy winner'
    Hes destroying important long term concepts and the short term economy because he needs a fucking huge distraction. Its unsustainable and unsupportable.
    How does cutting taxes reduce inflation? Raising taxes on those with high levels of surplus income might do something.
  • Options
    Stokes choosing to bowl first shows he is fully behind the Strauss, Root captaincy theory 101 of being a spineless dweeb.
    Hussein, Cook and Vaughan are the models to follow
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Really? I would have thought person non-grata pretty much everywhere, and that political memoirs are massive losers on book sales.

America beckons, primarily from these various Republican think tanks who just have a vague notion that Boris upset liberals over Brexit and had some kind of affinity with Trump.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

You are generally a sensible poster but you are in danger of falling into @HYUFD trap of havering

Though I think your comment may be tongue in cheek
  • Options

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

Good morning

How does cutting taxes reduce inflation? Raising taxes on those with high levels of surplus income might do something.
    To take an example if we suspended fuel duty that would have some impact on inflation. But yes, inflation is usually caused by excess demand, hence the remedy of increasing interest rates.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

Good morning

Cutting taxes promotes economic growth, focussing on lowering inflation is a fresh bullet point
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

Northern Ireland managed to count an election conducted by STV entirely within 3-4 days. There's no reason it has to take longer.

I also don't know why it takes some U.S states weeks to count votes under FPTP when the UK manages to count 30 million votes within 24 hours as in 2019.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

You underestimate Boris post PM as I believe he will make millions just because of who he is

Unique
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

No it isn't at all. What a load of rubbish.

Do the Bavarian CSU back independence for Bavaria as the CDU's sister party? No. Indeed in Scotland in the 1950s the Conservatives stood as Unionists not Tories and even won most votes in Scotland.

I voted for every Tory on the ballot paper in that town council election
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    kjh said:

Ok off topic and one for others particularly @Dura_Ace to roll around laughing at (an engineer friend of mine did): For various reasons I am thinking about getting a classic car (of sorts). I am incompetent at anything practical and don't want to spend much so was thinking of a mint Panther Lima.

Comments?

I love my motors and had never heard of that one. Cool car. I’d always advocate an NA MX-5 but I’m an incorrigible car weeb.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

You are generally a sensible poster but you are in danger of falling into @HYUFD trap of havering

HYUFD is in Epping, an Essex District. Not Havering, a neighbouring London Borough.

Or isn't that what you meant?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Update on pb.com perennial AUKUS zero percent finance contract hire submarine plans.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jun/10/peter-duttons-claim-he-planned-to-buy-us-nuclear-subs-political-point-scoring-defence-experts-say

Outgoing Defence Minister and new Liberal Culture Warrior-In-Chief PeDu reckons he had a backchannel deal going with the US to lease two Virginias by 2030.

The Australians didn't cancel the French deal on perfomance (or lack of) grounds but using the 'convenience' clause which cost them $A840m.

First boat now expected in 2045 according to the new Defence Minister who is salty with PeDu for blabbing that AUKUS is more like AukUS.

They are going to MLU the Collins (because what else can they do?) in an exercise which will probably end up costing more than the SFB.

No! Never! AUKUS is the backbone of a new post-colonial world where Boris HRH Truss the UK will bestride the global stage once again.

[Waves flag to the sound of the National Anthem]
  • Options
    edited June 2022

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, he's by far the biggest ally for the Republicans that they'll ever have.
    I don't think so, in fact I expect King Charles IIIrd to get on very well with a PM Starmer, in fact probably better than he would with PM Johnson.

• Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD is in Epping, an Essex District. Not Havering, a neighbouring London Borough.

Havering is an excellent description in the context
  • Options
    kjh said:

Comments?

For fuck's sake...

We'll leave aside the fact that they were total crap when they were new.

People frequently solicit my advice about buying an older car and I'll you what I always tell them.

Do not buy anything that has no aftermarket support. The aftermarket support for Panthers is probably nothing more than various group therapy sessions for men in cardigans who had one once. Vauxhall mechanicals of that era are far less well supported than the equivalent Fords.

All the money and arseache in 'classic' car projects is in the bodywork because you can't do it yourself and it makes little sense do it in small chunks. Get the best and least rusty body you can find.

If you want that type of car get a first Gen MX-5 / Miata / Eunos Roadster. They are simple to work on, fun to drive, boringly reliable and every single part you could ever want is readily available in a multitude of forms in the aftermarket.

Panther Lima... fuck me...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

No! Never! AUKUS is the backbone of a new post-colonial world where Boris HRH Truss the UK will bestride the global stage once again.

Slightly OT, but Australia is the only Anglophone nation with a good national anthem.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

The latest from Alastair Meeks, who IIRC left the site partly because he was assailed for being too zealously anti-Brexit. He still is, but critical of the EU too. As always, a smooth read.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/britain-the-third-lost-decade-beckons-588f8f21d5ef

Correct. It was because there was an ignoramous trolling around and he'd had enough..
    Not really, he was really quite out of order at the end. He seemed to believe that his partners live was endangered by Brexit preventing medication getting through. There was never any prospect of that. He became rather abusive.
    Everything he said about the EU was correct and has since been proven to be and I guess he just got bored with being called TRAITOR! and worse.
    It's easy to see his final comments and why he left. It looks to me like he took irrational personal offence to another poster's perfectly valid position - certainly at the end he was throwing more abuse than he was receiving.
    No he wasn't. And the poster in question felt he didn't want to back down (which was entirely his prerogative) despite the obvious personal offence he was causing.

Just at a glance.
    If someone kept needling you, there may come a point when you decide to retaliate.

From what I recall of the case being presented by the antagonist, it was "deranged" and quite frankly it disgusted me too, and I had no skin in the game. As I mentioned earlier, he had every right to argue his point, although to be so thick skinned he didn't realise the moment to stop had passed was surprising.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

rkrkrk said:

Yep. The one thing that could seriously menace the monarchy is a monarch getting political. Doesn’t matter whether its from the Left or Right

It might just be OK on fluffy issues like the environment, tho even there its better not (eg I have no idea if the Queen is Green, my Guess is Yes, but she’s brilliantly inscrutable who knows)

But expressing a view on.a wildly contentious subject like immigration? Grrr

Shut the fuck up, Charles. I hope the government is telling him that in no uncertain terms, and I hope that any government - left or right - would do the same in the future
    Yes I agree.
    However. We've only reached this point because we've had 70 years of a Monarch who didn't express any opinions.
    There's no rule to say they can't. Nor any mechanism to stop them spouting off whenever, wherever and whatever they like.
    It's a fundamental feature of Monarchy that the Monarch is the Monarch whether anyone likes them or not.
    And Monarchists need to consider whether they are content with that.
    Of course, the monarch is monarch by grace of God as affirmed at their coronation oath. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a Tory
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,026
    Dura_Ace said:

Anybody who thinks Charles is going to moderate his behaviour when he finally gets to wear his mother's bridal veil is fucking kidding themselves. He's had a completely fucked up life that was equal parts opulence, indulgence and duty. He's waited an entire lifetime for it and he knows he's only going to be able to do it for a relatively short time.

He shows definite signs of 'wanting to make a difference', words to strike fear into the most ardent Royal Standard shagger.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes and Epping Forest has never had a Labour MP either unlike Romford, Upminster and Hornchurch in 1997. Do you really think I would live there if it had?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Slightly OT, but Australia is the only Anglophone nation with a good national anthem.
    Apparently, when Aus decided to ditch 'Go Save the Queen', they put the alternative anthems to the public in a referendum. 'Waltzing Matilda' came second. In at third was Rolf Harris's 'Sun Arise'.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862

Applicant said:

I’m paying it,

My next policy.

bet it is already free for 50% or more who never need to pay it back
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

Comments?

For fuck's sake...

People frequently solicit my advice about buying an older car and I'll you what I always tell them.

Do not buy anything that has no aftermarket support. The aftermarket support for Panthers is probably nothing more than various group therapy sessions for men in cardigans who had one once. Vauxhall mechanicals of that era are far less well supported than the equivalent Fords.

All the money and arseache in 'classic' car projects is in the bodywork because you can't do it yourself and it makes little sense do it in small chunks. Get the best and least rusty body you can find.

If you want that type of car get a first Gen MX-5 / Miata / Eunos Roadster. They are simple to work on, fun to drive, boringly reliable and every single part you could ever want is readily available in a multitude of forms in the aftermarket.

For a real classic, consider an MGB. Not that fast compared with modern designs, but classic fun, and absolutely every part is available via the excellent owners club and specialist garages.

A more modern likely classic is the Honda S2000. Great performance, Honda reliability and great parts availability.

I had an AustinHealey Sprite for a few years, and great support for those too, as most bits are in common with other BL cars of the era. The roof leaked, it rusted, and windscreen wipers and headlights were awful. Fun on a sunny Spring day though, like sitting on a high speed tea tray.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,334
    kjh said:

Comments?

You will look like Noddy.

https://www.classic.com/veh/1979-panther-lima-5204-pG6YK6W/
    https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/hibbatoys/product/noddy-pedal-car
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just at a glance.
    If someone kept needling you, there may come a point when you decide to retaliate.

From what I recall of the case being presented by the antagonist, it was "deranged" and quite frankly it disgusted me too, and I had no skin in the game. As I mentioned earlier, he had every right to argue his point, although to be so thick skinned he didn't realise the moment to stop had passed was surprising.
    The numerous posts from several parties desperate to portray AM's departure in a very specific light is instructive.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

rkrkrk said:

Yep. The one thing that could seriously menace the monarchy is a monarch getting political. Doesn’t matter whether its from the Left or Right

It might just be OK on fluffy issues like the environment, tho even there its better not (eg I have no idea if the Queen is Green, my Guess is Yes, but she’s brilliantly inscrutable who knows)

But expressing a view on.a wildly contentious subject like immigration? Grrr

Shut the fuck up, Charles. I hope the government is telling him that in no uncertain terms, and I hope that any government - left or right - would do the same in the future
    Yes I agree.
    However. We've only reached this point because we've had 70 years of a Monarch who didn't express any opinions.
    There's no rule to say they can't. Nor any mechanism to stop them spouting off whenever, wherever and whatever they like.
    It's a fundamental feature of Monarchy that the Monarch is the Monarch whether anyone likes them or not.
    And Monarchists need to consider whether they are content with that.
    Of course, the monarch is monarch by grace of God as affirmed at their coronation oath. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a Tory
    So all erstwhile Conservatives who are atheists and agnostics ought to head off and support and donate to the Lib Dems instead, young HY?? Yes, I think you are right. And a lot of them are, of course.

You are not going to have very many left, are you? But I can live with that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,334
    OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSl6OxAmIyY

You don't get that in Eastenders.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,220
    Particularly ironic given that posters subsequent wailing when he finally worked out why most of the rest of us choose to use pseudonyms.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Comments?

Where angels fear to tread!

• Options

OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Apparently, when Aus decided to ditch 'Go Save the Queen', they put the alternative anthems to the public in a referendum. 'Waltzing Matilda' came second. In at third was Rolf Harris's 'Sun Arise'.
    Our equivalent would be you've got to pick a pocket or two or something by Jimmy Saville.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

Good morning

I remain sceptical he will be ousted now this side of a GE.

The fundamental issue is there is no obvious replacement who commands sufficient support from the membership.
    And the membership will be looking for someone to be right of Boris on economics and just as hardline on Brexit.
    wether it happens like that remains to be seen. Rather than call you plain wrong, let’s just wait and see. To be wedded to Boris Brexit is to be wedded to Fuck Business. To say Boris Brexit is sacrosanct because it’s perfect Brexit is just plain laughable.

Yes the Tories can off to the right HY if they want. But if they ever want to win again after Boris, they will have to come back to the centre.
    The irony is that apart from Brexit Boris is pretty centrist, even more centrist than Cameron on economics. Hence he won a landslide general election victory for the Tories in 2019.

Once Boris goes the Tory leadership will likely move even further right just as Labour moved further left after Blair and Brown for the next decade
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Dura_Ace said:

Anybody who thinks Charles is going to moderate his behaviour when he finally gets to wear his mother's bridal veil is fucking kidding themselvhttps://www2.politicalbetting.com/es. He's had a completely fucked up life that was equal parts opulence, indulgence and duty. He's waited an entire lifetime for it and he knows he's only going to be able to do it for a relatively short time.

He shows definite signs of 'wanting to make a difference', words to strike fear into the most ardent Royal Standard shagger.
    Good for Charlie! I knew he'd turn out to be a good 'un.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,478
    edited June 2022

kjh said:

Comments?

Where angels fear to tread!

Vauxhall Viva chassis, more or less? :wink:

I'd encourage the indulgence.

But I'd not understate the value of a local oily garage to mend it should you need.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    kjh said:

Comments?

Ooh, it's pretty!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

Comments?

For fuck's sake...

For a real classic, consider an MGB. Not that fast compared with modern designs, but classic fun, and absolutely every part is available via the excellent owners club and specialist garages.

A more modern likely classic is the Honda S2000. Great performance, Honda reliability and great parts availability.

I had an AustinHealey Sprite for a few years, and great support for those too, as most bits are in common with other BL cars of the era. The roof leaked, it rusted, and windscreen wipers and headlights were awful. Fun on a sunny Spring day though, like sitting on a high speed tea tray.
    Any MGB that doesn’t need 200 hours of rust repairs is now not cheap and there really isn't much potential in the B series beyond big carbs.

The F20C in the S2000 is a ticking (sometimes literally) timebomb. If it hasn't been assiduously cared for then it's going to be trouble hence the proliferation of K20/24 swaps.

Early GT86/BRZ are value .
  • Options

Stokes choosing to bowl first shows he is fully behind the Strauss, Root captaincy theory 101 of being a spineless dweeb.
    Hussein, Cook and Vaughan are the models to follow

In fairness both captains said they would have bowled and the pitch looked green. It has proven a catastrophic decision but this is hindsight. When NZ lost their captain and best batsman at short notice it probably seemed even smarter.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Waltzing Matilda is a banger. Probably just as well they avoided the Rolf number really.

The UK has good alternatives (I’m partial to Heart of Oak). Maybe when Queenie dies we can ditch God Save the Queen.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,478
    malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

I’m paying it,

My next policy.

bet it is already free for 50% or more who never need to pay it back
    Shrinking by 3% a year, at present, then, @Horse.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Haver: To talk nonsense, gibberish; to speak rubbish.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

It's very quiet on here.

Good morning

I remain sceptical he will be ousted now this side of a GE.

The fundamental issue is there is no obvious replacement who commands sufficient support from the membership.
    And the membership will be looking for someone to be right of Boris on economics and just as hardline on Brexit.
    wether it happens like that remains to be seen. Rather than call you plain wrong, let’s just wait and see. To be wedded to Boris Brexit is to be wedded to Fuck Business. To say Boris Brexit is sacrosanct because it’s perfect Brexit is just plain laughable.

Yes the Tories can off to the right HY if they want. But if they ever want to win again after Boris, they will have to come back to the centre.
    The irony is that apart from Brexit Boris is pretty centrist, even more centrist than Cameron on economics. Hence he won a landslide general election victory for the Tories in 2019.

Once Boris goes the Tory leadership will likely move even further right just as Labour moved further left after Blair and Brown for the next decade
    Will they start issuing "BlueShirts" for the Pure?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,923
    RH1992 said:

I also don't know why it takes some U.S states weeks to count votes under FPTP when the UK manages to count 30 million votes within 24 hours as in 2019.

I guess arranging the security guards and bullet-proofing the buildings eats into the time a little.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

Comments?

For fuck's sake...

Any MGB that doesn’t need 200 hours of rust repairs is now not cheap and there really isn't much potential in the B series beyond big carbs.

The F20C in the S2000 is a ticking (sometimes literally) timebomb. If it hasn't been assiduously cared for then it's going to be trouble hence the proliferation of K20/24 swaps.

Early GT86/BRZ are value .
    Good call on the GT86/BRZ.
This discussion has been closed.