Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    Harold Wilson popped up on yesterday's thread. Wilson retired as Prime Minister at age 60. Boris will be 60 in June 2024.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Harold Wilson popped up on yesterday's thread. Wilson retired as Prime Minister at age 60. Boris will be 60 in June 2024.

Has Boris got Alzheimer’s?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson ignores pleas from young Tory staffers to investigate 'date rape' MP
    Thirty six aides wrote to the PM after it was reported that a senior Tory had plied four victims with date rape drugs - young staffers fear sex pest MPs are stalking Parliament

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-ignores-pleas-young-27092266 (from yesterday, following up last week's story)
  • Options

Saint-Etienne v Auxerre: Ugly scenes after Ligue 1 relegation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61628488

Makes the minor trouble from pitch invasions here over the past couple of weeks look like small beer.

We worked out in 1988 that relegation/promotion playoffs are not a good idea...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Z0szxfQJ8
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Hope that clears matters up.

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.
    Errr

What about the Mississippi - https://www.google.com/search?q=mississippi+river+basin&oq=Mississippi+River+basin&aqs=chrome.0.0i512l8.4127j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-rvo1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=oGsFqE3Qi5JigM
    Runs N/S doesn't it? Nile and Isbourne run S/N.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    Telegraph also confirming our story from Jan about a second birthday gathering for PM.

“ITV News also understands that on the evening of 19 June 2020, family friends were hosted upstairs in the prime minister’s residence.” - No 10 strongly denied in Jan.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-24/boris-johnson-had-birthday-bash-during-lockdown-itv-news-understands https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1531010505116098560
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Who dare I ask is “Galadriel”?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I see the Grammar school issue bobs up again. Interesting that the man who led the Labour charge against Gramar schools was Tony Crossland who was educated at 'Highgate school'. Is that the local secondary school?

We had four boys in our family, born from 1947 to 1952 on the local council estate. Three went to the local grammar school, one to the local secondary. Incidentally, the grammar school was the one Jonathan van Tam went to later. The difference between the schools .... discipline. The facilities were similar, the teachers the same mixed bunch. I hated the extra discipline, but perhaps, this Birbalsingh lady has the right idea after all?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Andy_JS said:

"No London shooting deaths in six months as police say gun trade stifled
    Met says drug gangs in capital finding it difficult to source and move around firearms"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade

[There haven't been any since 25th April when the article was published].

We did this the other day, encrochat hack was huge, it basically allowed the plod europe wide to see the players in the network and loads of the dealers in UK have been banged up.

Now while guns are not so.easy to get hold of, knife crime is rampant.
    In England
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"No London shooting deaths in six months as police say gun trade stifled
    Met says drug gangs in capital finding it difficult to source and move around firearms"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade

[There haven't been any since 25th April when the article was published].

We did this the other day, encrochat hack was huge, it basically allowed the plod europe wide to see the players in the network and loads of the dealers in UK have been banged up.

Now while guns are not so.easy to get hold of, knife crime is rampant.
    How can knife crime be tackled? Maybe stop and search is the only way.
    Why not copy Glasgow's public health approach? It has worked over the long term, and is supported by the community. London did start such a scheme, but there are a number of barriers still, notably a lack trust of the police.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/the-glasgow-model-is-it-effective-london-knife-crime-violence-shanae-dennis

Essentially it is a philosophical difference in approach. Should police behave like an occupying force? Or should they be grounded in a community?

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.
    Errr

What about the Mississippi - https://www.google.com/search?q=mississippi+river+basin&oq=Mississippi+River+basin&aqs=chrome.0.0i512l8.4127j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-rvo1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=oGsFqE3Qi5JigM
    It's true that the last time I was in Egypt people told me that "apart from the Isbourne, the only river that flows South to North is the Nile". But apparently that is a bit of an Egyptian urban myth, as the Nile flows south for a couple of hundred miles.

Mind you people in Siberia have a similar myth, that the Yenisey is the only river in the world that flows north apart from the mighty Isbourne in Gloucestershire. So there must be a grain of truth in there somewhere.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited May 2022

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

As does the River Conwy, to take only the most obvious example missing from the earlier list.

Edit - in another link to @Big_G_NorthWales so does the River Lossie.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,233
    Morning all! Interesting to read that MPs may want to speak to Mrs Johnson - mainly because the press can't. There is a black hole which although light cannot escape it (because of the rumoured super-injunction) can at least be seen because of its impact.

Wasn't the last time Mrs Johnson was seen when Bonzo was physically dragging her down the road to vote in the local elections...?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201

Morning all! Interesting to read that MPs may want to speak to Mrs Johnson - mainly because the press can't. There is a black hole which although light cannot escape it (because of the rumoured super-injunction) can at least be seen because of its impact.

Wasn't the last time Mrs Johnson was seen when Bonzo was physically dragging her down the road to vote in the local elections...?

So apparently they had their daughter christened at the weekend. Not sure how that ties in with the other story, but who knows.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

As does the River Conwy, to take only the most obvious example missing from the earlier list.

I think the original is intended to be ‘flows S to N through the it’s entire course’, but also includes the Nile, which is obvious bunkum.
    Ultimately it’s a factoid, not a fact.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Monkeys said:

'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

Andrew Pierce discusses the Prime Minister's popularity.

Are some people here on the same stuff as this guy?

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1530943752029757443

It's true that Starmer doesn't have his charisma but that doesn't mean Boris isn't a turnoff for a good proportion of the electorate. Starmer is there to make the Labour party boring again for a while so it's not even a bad quality to have.
    I am very confused why boring is a bad attribute. Anyone ever heard Wilson or Attlee speak?
    Wilson was quite a witty speaker in his day, was he not? Are you sure it is not his accent putting you off?

I've just found this on Youtube: a half-hour interview with Wilson before the first 1974 election. Can you imagine Boris doing this? Will there be a windfall tax? One odd thing to our ears is the talk of housewives in regard to food prices. Also a discussion of wage increases in time of inflation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaasnLeYdIE
    Interesting - he sounds quite Corbynite to modern ears. Price controls! Rent controls! Very assured speaker, though.
    Isn't the failure of price controls in 1970s one of the lessons that Corbyn didn't learn? I ask as a genuine economic question rather than just having a go.
    Yeah, thank goodness we don't have anything as stupid as price caps for energy now which drove half the companies out the market. How absurd would that be?
  • Options

Wonder in which luxurious pad she is in hiding
  • Options

So apparently they had their daughter christened at the weekend. Not sure how that ties in with the other story, but who knows.
    any evidence of that
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

I think the original is intended to be ‘flows S to N through the it’s entire course’, but also includes the Nile, which is obvious bunkum.
    Well, the Conwy still does. Almost due north the whole way. There's one part where one of the headwaters flows north to south leaving Llyn Conwy but where it becomes an actual river at Capel Garmon from there it's due north all the way.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10866149/Boris-Johnson-wife-Carrie-hold-private-christening-daughter-Romy.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Oh fuck there's another one is there about ......... running off with ....?

Don't see it affects us if we haven't been served with it.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

It's true that the last time I was in Egypt people told me that "apart from the Isbourne, the only river that flows South to North is the Nile". But apparently that is a bit of an Egyptian urban myth, as the Nile flows south for a couple of hundred miles.

Mind you people in Siberia have a similar myth, that the Yenisey is the only river in the world that flows north apart from the mighty Isbourne in Gloucestershire. So there must be a grain of truth in there somewhere.
    Since the Siberians also have the River Ob, all that proves is that their schools are shit at teaching geography.
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127

Roger said:

I'm sure everyone will have seen this from Andrew Marr but just in case they haven't or they doubt what a piece of shit we have for a Prime Minister watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLtO8i9MIU

Is it just me, or do you all have the feeling Boris Johnson is running out of road?
    Boris Johnson isn't going to win the election on the votes of Andrew Marr followers.

As Trump put it, "we love the uneducated." And they won't turn out for Priti, Raab or Truss.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Moonshine, Galadriel was one of the most powerful elves in Middle Earth, and holder of one of the three elven rings.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

The river Bann in Ulster is another North/South river, flowing from Lough Neagh to the north coast near Coleraine. Also the Rhein flows mostly north/south as does the Rhone in France
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Who dare I ask is “Galadriel”?

A really annoying elf woman in Lord of the Rings. Carrie by the look of her dressed up as her for her wedding.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,233

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10866149/Boris-Johnson-wife-Carrie-hold-private-christening-daughter-Romy.html
    Not sure that "reports" stories in the Heil counts as evidence. Remember that their output now splits into three distinct sections:
    1. Pro-Boris lies. EU forced us to remove crown logos from pint glasses
    2. Long lens celeb photos, often of young totty doing shocking things like being young and having legs
    3. Opinion pieces attacking young celeb totty for scandalising decent society with their legs
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,455
    IshmaelZ said:

Thing I've never understood about superinjunctions.

If people don't know they exist, what's the mechanism that makes them effective?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    Not sure that "reports" stories in the Heil counts as evidence. Remember that their output now splits into three distinct sections:
    1. Pro-Boris lies. EU forced us to remove crown logos from pint glasses
    2. Long lens celeb photos, often of young totty doing shocking things like being young and having legs
    3. Opinion pieces attacking young celeb totty for scandalising decent society with their legs
    Absolutely - could be utter bollix as you say. But where is the evidence she has run off with .....? Just fandoms on twitter?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Moonshine, Galadriel was one of the most powerful elves in Middle Earth, and holder of one of the three elven rings.

There were either 3 or 11, make your mind up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Good morning, everyone.

Sadly, he was also a compulsive gambler, who lost the ring in a game of poker to Han Solo.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

If people don't know they exist, what's the mechanism that makes them effective?
    The point is those who know the details DO know the story, I.e. the press.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

IshmaelZ said:

My favourite one was the Ryan Giggs one, which everyone knew about within about a week, and Joshua Rozenberg began a BBC analysis of it with these immortal words.

'Well, the law is clear. There's a court order in place which says we cannot name Ryan Giggs as the holder of this superinjunction.'
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited May 2022
    ydoethur said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

Since the Siberians also have the River Ob, all that proves is that their schools are shit at teaching geography.

The Siberian schools must be really bad then because they also have the Lena river which flows north when not frozen...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    Aren’t you the poster that holds up cashiers by paying in exact change
    wow paying money is a crime now.....only in lefty minds
    No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    What on Earth are you on about
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    You’re dangerously silly.

You said an advantage of imperial is that you can divide by three. Ever heard of a calculator?
    I said an advantage of L s d is easy to divide by three. I didnt mention imperial. They were two different conversations. L s d is easily divisible by 2 3 4 6 8, decimal currency is only easily divisible by 2 4,5 and 10
    Well yes, having three separate elements (pounds, shilling and pence) makes it easier to split by three. In fact, it makes it easier to divide by any number, because not only do have more divisors, you alsio have a higher degree of resolution - a pound is split into 240 old pence.

Nevertheless, in a world of computers operating on binary and decimal numbers, this ease for human calculations is a drawback for the machines. While you can find hexadecimal numbers (2^8), you will find none based around three powers, with varying units per power.

Since hardly anyone can actually remember the coins they're nostalgic about the government should just make a new system but using the old words. They can leapfrog the foreign competition in information technology by making it all binary based, like:

1 penny
    256 pennies = 1 farthing
    256 farthings = 1 groat
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

My favourite one was the Ryan Giggs one, which everyone knew about within about a week, and Joshua Rosenberg began a BBC analysis of it with these immortal words.

'Well, the law is clear. There's a court order in place which says we cannot name Ryan Giggs as the holder of this superinjunction.'
    Of course in the era of the internet and with a national limitation on the superinjunction, really they are not worth the vast sums paid to the lawyers.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I see the Grammar school issue bobs up again. Interesting that the man who led the Labour charge against Gramar schools was Tony Crossland who was educated at 'Highgate school'. Is that the local secondary school?

We had four boys in our family, born from 1947 to 1952 on the local council estate. Three went to the local grammar school, one to the local secondary. Incidentally, the grammar school was the one Jonathan van Tam went to later. The difference between the schools .... discipline. The facilities were similar, the teachers the same mixed bunch. I hated the extra discipline, but perhaps, this Birbalsingh lady has the right idea after all?

Or could it be competition? Smart kids pushing each other harder and harder. The classes covering more ground, in more depth. Like an army, classes tend to move at the speed of the slowest member.

Of course, without an Empire, you could argue that producing masses of classically trained administrators isn't the best use of our resources.

The rise of automation and AI is going to take a large bite out of the services jobs around financial services currently absorbing Oxbridge types.

It might be an interesting medium term project for a forward looking administration. Another Brexit opportunity cost, I guess.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

The Siberian schools must be really bad then because they also have the Yenisei and Lena rives which both flow north when not frozen...
    Well, they should all have heard of the River Lena, given who named himself after it!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

You have a great big list of newspaper and TV news editors and serve them all. I assume OGH is not on that list.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    rcs1000 said:

Nevertheless, in a world of computers operating on binary and decimal numbers, this ease for human calculations is a drawback for the machines. While you can find hexadecimal numbers (2^8), you will find none based around three powers, with varying units per power.

I believe the LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) computers of the 1950s had special support for handling Lsd currency values. These days of course the cost of converting input values down to pence to work on them would be peanuts...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

Roger said:

I'm sure everyone will have seen this from Andrew Marr but just in case they haven't or they doubt what a piece of shit we have for a Prime Minister watch it again

Is it just me, or do you all have the feeling Boris Johnson is running out of road?
    Boris has been running out of road for months, but more tarmac just seems to get laid.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Roger said:

Boris has been running out of road for months, but more tarmac just seems to get laid.
    Oo-er, missus!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    kjh said:

I feel sorry for Johnson that he’s reduced to pretending he’ll bring back grammar schools when what he really wants to do is pretend they are going to build a bridge to Northern Ireland
    https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1531171213065715712
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    kjh said:

Roger said:

So he's still in a sticky position.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    stjohn said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

Very frequently when he gets laid...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

Sadly, he was also a compulsive gambler, who lost the ring in a game of poker to Han Solo.
    He was a she

Hey, Frodo, take a walk on the wild side
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    ydoethur said:

stjohn said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

He's in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

He was a she

Hey, Frodo, take a walk on the wild side
    She mirrored it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Good morning everybody.

On topic, I suspect that Johnson won't be out before the next GE unless another well-paid option comes along, one which permits the foolish to think he's a Great Man.
    At the GE, though he'll either spectacularly crash and burn ..... see the Conservatives in Canada a few years ago,..... or triumph, due to some event that ATM we cannot foresee.

Or one of his wives or children will, from somewhere legally safe, tell all!
  • Options
    OK apart from the Nile, Mississippi, Volga, Lena and Ob, what NS oriented rivers have the Romans ever given us?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

OK apart from the Nile, Mississippi, Volga, Lena and Ob, what NS oriented rivers have the Romans ever given us?

Essequibo.

Surely a Guyana half like yourself has heard of that one?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

ydoethur said:

stjohn said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

He's in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
    Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with him.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    IshmaelZ said:

The Fenland Ouse? Flows into the Wash. The Rhine flows North for most of it's route, then turns West.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I’m not convinced “bobbies on the beat” *doesn’t* work, if one can use the term in the fullest sense.

To me it implies policemen who take have the time and focus to really understand a specific local community and can therefore act prophylactically, as it were.

The 1997 pledge card pledged to halve the time to sentencing for young offenders.

That sort of pledge should run again. Waiting lists for trial dates are a scandal. In practice a lot of cases are going to have to be abandoned otherwise.
    The Tory record on crime is appalling.
    Also on health care.
    Also on standards of living.

I can’t think of a government - not since Major’s Tories indeed - with a poorer record to take to the voters on the three most salient issues.
    In 1997, crime was falling thanks to Howard and unemployment was low and the economy was growing, certainly a better legacy on that than Brown Labour in 2010
    Source?
    This shows a different story:
    https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/crime-rate-statistics
    Crime fell in 1995 and 1996 when Howard was Home Secretary on those stats, thanks for confimring
    What? You said 97. They went up in 97. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and pick the range he was home secretary. No that doesn't work either. You can't state something and when shown to be wrong change the facts. Just for once put your hands up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    pm215 said:

rcs1000 said:

I believe the LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) computers of the 1950s had special support for handling Lsd currency values. These days of course the cost of converting input values down to pence to work on them would be peanuts...
    Well duh.

At the same time, why would you complicate, rather than simplify?

Why would you choose to have (rather than having one forced on your through tradition) a numerical system that contained three different orders of magnitude, all of which required base ten to express, but which were not actually in base ten?

Answer: you wouldn't.

• Options
    edited May 2022

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

The Siberian schools must be really bad then because they also have the Lena river which flows north when not frozen...
    It is not just Siberia — all Russian schools are lousy at geography; there is no Ukraine on their maps.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,778

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

Errr

The river Bann in Ulster is another North/South river, flowing from Lough Neagh to the north coast near Coleraine. Also the Rhein flows mostly north/south as does the Rhone in France
    Naver in north Sutherland, and others following the same grain of structure.
  • Options
    Wordle 345 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
    🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not easy
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    I was summoned to Whitehall to be asked if Ordnance Survey would return to yards and feet and the one inch map series . Had to explain we had gone metric in the 1930’s with OSGB36 😂 (1)

I was then told the Americans used feet and so it was possible . Explained the Americans moved to a metric system well before us in mapping and so it was illogical to return to feet especially now with GPS (2)

This went down even less well - so then I asked which foot was their preference . The US foot , the British foot or the Internationally agreed foot . The meeting then ended (4)

https://twitter.com/gpsbaby/status/1531040401204944898
  • Options
    kjh said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I’m not convinced “bobbies on the beat” *doesn’t* work, if one can use the term in the fullest sense.

To me it implies policemen who take have the time and focus to really understand a specific local community and can therefore act prophylactically, as it were.

The 1997 pledge card pledged to halve the time to sentencing for young offenders.

That sort of pledge should run again. Waiting lists for trial dates are a scandal. In practice a lot of cases are going to have to be abandoned otherwise.
    Also on health care.

I can’t think of a government - not since Major’s Tories indeed - with a poorer record to take to the voters on the three most salient issues.
    In 1997, crime was falling thanks to Howard and unemployment was low and the economy was growing, certainly a better legacy on that than Brown Labour in 2010
    There can be no doubt whatsoever that in 1997 Britain was a land of pure delight at the wisdom and foresight of its benign and wise rulers.
    1997 was quite some election. I really enjoyed it.

That the economy had picked up didn't endear the government to the voters.
    Same here. I was at a party and when the Northavon result came in as a LD win we all looked at each other going where the f*** is Northavon? A bit of thought and we could probably worked out it was north of the Avon.
    Yes, but which Avon? There are at least three ignoring soundalikes.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114
    IshmaelZ said:

Let’s not cross that Rubicon.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that in 1997 Britain was a land of pure delight at the wisdom and foresight of its benign and wise rulers.

Same here. I was at a party and when the Northavon result came in as a LD win we all looked at each other going where the f*** is Northavon? A bit of thought and we could probably worked out it was north of the Avon.
    And which way does it flow?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    DavidL said:

Monkeys said:

'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

It's true that Starmer doesn't have his charisma but that doesn't mean Boris isn't a turnoff for a good proportion of the electorate. Starmer is there to make the Labour party boring again for a while so it's not even a bad quality to have.
    I am very confused why boring is a bad attribute. Anyone ever heard Wilson or Attlee speak?
    Wilson was quite a witty speaker in his day, was he not? Are you sure it is not his accent putting you off?

I've just found this on Youtube: a half-hour interview with Wilson before the first 1974 election. Can you imagine Boris doing this? Will there be a windfall tax? One odd thing to our ears is the talk of housewives in regard to food prices. Also a discussion of wage increases in time of inflation.
    Interesting - he sounds quite Corbynite to modern ears. Price controls! Rent controls! Very assured speaker, though.
    Isn't the failure of price controls in 1970s one of the lessons that Corbyn didn't learn? I ask as a genuine economic question rather than just having a go.
    Yeah, thank goodness we don't have anything as stupid as price caps for energy now which drove half the companies out the market. How absurd would that be?
    Not only that, but now people are blaming the government for price rises.

Without the silly intervention of a price cap, government could be seen as on the side of the consumer, pressuring the energy companies.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    "evidence" is the operational word. Not something from the DM. I mean, it can't be private if the DM was there, so there's a massive contradiction there.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Because it's from the Welsh 'Afon' meaning 'river.'

It's always amused me that so many people river to the 'River Avon' unaware that it's a tautology.
  • Options
    Surely the tunnel to NI must be announced again soon
  • Options
    THis thread has ... not allowed to tell you.
  • Options
    TalkSPORT clear in their views on the Champions League final. Foreign police hate British football fans. Jamie O'Hara wants Boris to "do something". Declare war on France?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

My favourite one was the Ryan Giggs one, which everyone knew about within about a week, and Joshua Rozenberg began a BBC analysis of it with these immortal words.

Talking of superinjunctions, I was chatting with a non-political friend in Glasgow yesterday who claimed that Sturgeon’s absence from public life is nothing to do with COVID but in fact a result of the #BalmoralHotelIncident and consequent bruising (which is almost certainly rubbish as the alleged “incident” has been doing the rounds for ages) - but it does show how some of this “bubble” rubbish can cut through.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,930
    IshmaelZ said:

The Itchen?

• Options

Surely the tunnel to NI must be announced again soon

Not necessarily.

The tunnel was an absurd thing that Boris wanted.

Grammar schools and imperial units are absurd things that Conservative MPs, The Mail and The Telegraph want.

That he has gone from talking about his wants to other people's wants is progress, of a sort.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

The Itchen?

That flows south. We're looking for ones that flow north.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    Crime fell in 1995 and 1996 when Howard was Home Secretary on those stats, thanks for confimring
    And rose in 1997, the opposite of what you said you twat
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    "evidence" is the operational word. Not something from the DM. I mean, it can't be private if the DM was there, so there's a massive contradiction there.
    Cuts both ways though. Evidence of Galadriel leaving the nest thats not randoms on twitter?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

The Itchen?

That flows south. We're looking for ones that flow north.
    This whole thing is turning into another staycationgate. The original question as posed was wrong. and even when (I think) correctly posed its wrong too, as the claim is the NIle runs only S to N. but there is a big southerly loop along the course.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    What? You said 97. They went up in 97. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and pick the range he was home secretary. No that doesn't work either. You can't state something and when shown to be wrong change the facts. Just for once put your hands up.
    Worst of all, I wasn't telling him he was wrong, I was just trying to fact-check it. I found some figures which disagreed, and I was just wondering what figures he was looking at.

Time and time again, HYUFD just comes out with total crap, and most of the time I feel like I'm the only one checking. He has a weird reputation on here for having the facts at his fingertips, but half his facts are lies.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Farooq said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    Worst of all, I wasn't telling him he was wrong, I was just trying to fact-check it. I found some figures which disagreed, and I was just wondering what figures he was looking at.

Time and time again, HYUFD just comes out with total crap, and most of the time I feel like I'm the only one checking. He has a weird reputation on here for having the facts at his fingertips, but half his facts are lies.
    Yes and I was absolutely right. crime was falling in the last 2 years of the Tory government before Labour took over in 1997
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    And rose in 1997, the opposite of what you said you twat
    When Labour took over, exactly as I said, so don't you dare start throwing wrongful accusations at me!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    Yes and for the majority of 1997 we had a Labour government and crime then went up even more in 1998 in Labour's second year of power having fallen in the last 2 years of the Tory government thanks to Howard. So I was 100% correct so don't you try pushing your anti Tory ideological agenda to distort the facts!
  • Options
    This thread is

in a river that flows south to north (mostly)

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?

Yes and I was absolutely right. crime was falling in the last 2 years of the Tory government before Labour took over in 1997
    You: "In 1997, crime was falling"
    Me: looks like it was rising
    You: IT WAS FALLING IN [other years] I WAS RIGHT

Away with your gaslighting
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

dixiedean said:

‘I’m with the gays’: How new revelations of Carrie Johnson gathering on Boris’ birthday may derail his premiership

Telegraph.

Is there a link for that?
    Presumably this the ABBA party.
    That didn’t happen.

Another day, another party.

No wonder Nadine is trying to circle the wagons.
    Grey's report didn't get him.

"Gays" report might?
  • Options
    Keystone said:

CD13 said:

Or could it be competition? Smart kids pushing each other harder and harder. The classes covering more ground, in more depth. Like an army, classes tend to move at the speed of the slowest member.

Of course, without an Empire, you could argue that producing masses of classically trained administrators isn't the best use of our resources.

The rise of automation and AI is going to take a large bite out of the services jobs around financial services currently absorbing Oxbridge types.

It might be an interesting medium term project for a forward looking administration. Another Brexit opportunity cost, I guess.
    Oxbridge does computer science and engineering too you know
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?

Yes crime was falling when the Tories left office in 1997, in both the previous 2 years of 1996 and 1995 when Howard was Home Secretary.

However Labour was in government for 7 out of 12 of the months of 1997, so unfortunately by the end of 1997 new Home Secretary Straw and Labour's legacy of failure on crime was starting to show in the figures, as it did even more so the following year, 1998, when crime rose by 6% on the very stats you linked to!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?

Yes crime was falling when the Tories left office in 1997, in both the previous 2 years of 1996 and 1995 when Howard was Home Secretary.

However Labour was in government for 7 out of 12 of the months of 1997, so unfortunately by the end of 1997 new Home Secretary Straw and Labour's legacy of failure on crime was starting to show in the figures, as it did even more so the following year, 1998, when crime rose by 6% on the very stats you linked to!
    I'm not interested at all in trying to defend one party or another, I'm just holding YOU to account on your "facts".

If you have month-on-month stats, we can go down to the month level but without that we can just chalk it down to you saying something false and then wriggling around trying to make it true by changing it.

Yet again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Monkeys said:

Since the Wilson era, much of the rest of Labour realised the impossibility of controlling a successful economy in that manner.
    Corbin forgot nothing and learned nothing.

Wilson, while attached to socialist doctrine, was a pragmatist at root. Given Britain's state in the early 60s, his approach wasn't obviously irrational until tested to destruction.

Thatcher was a mistake in the other direction, for instance in having no industrial policy at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?

I'm not interested at all in trying to defend one party or another, I'm just holding YOU to account on your "facts".

If you have month-on-month stats, we can go down to the month level but without that we can just chalk it down to you saying something false and then wriggling around trying to make it true by changing it.

Yet again.
    There is nothing to account for. I was correct, crime was falling in the last years of the Tory government ie 1995 and 1996 and then rose in the first years of the New Labour government ie the majority of 1997 and all of 1998.

Of course you are interested in defending one party or the other as like kjh you have an anti Tory agenda. You can throw your toys out the pram because you dislike the facts but the facts support what I said, crime was falling under Howard as Home Secretary
  • Options

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    cheers
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Because it's from the Welsh 'Afon' meaning 'river.'

It's always amused me that so many people river to the 'River Avon' unaware that it's a tautology.
    There's a Judge Judge, so why not a River River ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Keystone said:

CD13 said:

But the best engineering departments are not there, any more than the best law or medical courses.
  • Options
    Keystone said:

HYUFD said:

Keystone said:

CD13 said:

But the best engineering departments are not there, any more than the best law or medical courses.
    Best engineering departments UK 1 Cambridge, 2 Oxford, 3 Imperial

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-engineering-degrees-uk
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,085
    Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

Since the Wilson era, much of the rest of Labour realised the impossibility of controlling a successful economy in that manner.
    Corbin forgot nothing and learned nothing.

Wilson, while attached to socialist doctrine, was a pragmatist at root. Given Britain's state in the early 60s, his approach wasn't obviously irrational until tested to destruction.

Thatcher was a mistake in the other direction, for instance in having no industrial policy at all.

Utter bollox.

And yet anther example of someone believing the myth of Thatcher instead of the reality.

To name but one aspect of Thatcher's industrial policy was the enticement of foreign investment into the UK car industry, not just the new car plants at Sunderland, Derby and Swindon but also tie ups between Leyland and foreign car makers.

Then there are the more general economic policies, such as privatisation and union reform, which had a fundamental effect on British industry.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

any evidence of that
    cheers
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    tlg86 said:

Has Boris got Alzheimer’s?
    No but he may well be considering using it to explain why he can't remember being at any of the parties he attended.
This discussion has been closed.