Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2022 in General
imageThe Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

The first article I ever wrote for this site was about recency bias: The habit of people to focus on the last bit of information they got on a topic and overstate its importance. As with many biases, it crops up again and again and the Johnson survival market right now is a classic example.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    First?
  • Options
    Fuck France, fuck UEFA, and fuck the gendarmerie, the latter must be the first French people spoiling for a fight.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Fuck France, fuck UEFA, and fuck the gendarmerie, the latter must be the first French people spoiling for a fight.

Pleasant weekend in the city of love?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Leon said:

I am now watching Bald and Bankrupt on my balcony in Tbilisi. Thanks to @Dura_Ace and @FrancisUrquhart

It’s good. Needs a bit of narrative arc but he really does it. Hats off

But I can’t find the one where he actually GOES to Abkhazia. Can anyone help?

https://youtu.be/yjF4jiOOdPY
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,396
    edited May 2022
    Fifth, and cut off by the thread.
    MattW said:

OT

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on PB but I have to say I am rather disturbed by the fact that the BBC have reversed the hiring of a stand in radio presenter simply on the grounds he is left wing and anti-Boris Johnson.

Are we to see a situation where, every time there is a change of Government, the whole of the BBC presenting establishment has to be fired and rehired based on their political persuasion? Or do we want our presenters only to be drawn from the ranks of those who are so disengaged from life that they hold no political views at all?

I suspect I disagree with pretty much everyone of Mr Stadlen's political positions - though to be fair I have never actually heard of him before now - but unless he abuses his position as a presenter then he should not be barred from a job simply because he is critical of the Government.

Not sure. If this is correct (published by Guido, but it was wrong the BBC would have pushed back) he was continuing being nakedly partisan up until mere days ago. Is that tenable for a BBC presenter on a rolling News (Radio 5) channel? I'd say they may have violated their own standard.

More like a recruiting process off the rails, perhaps? Or a horribly poor sense of judgement on Standen's part.

One could understand if it was 5 years ago, but whilst he has been after the job?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    3rd, or fourth if Matt could count
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Top 20 👍
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

How was the experience for you?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I was in Paris, not Rome.

Absolute grim as hell, and I was one of the lucky ones.

I collected my tickets from the sponsors/UEFA point area at the ground.

At 5.30pm I was one of the early ones, and got told my ticket was fake, despite UEFA being the ones issuing.

I mean they didn't even scan it, just decided it was fake.

Fortunately I expressed my displeasure in French and also pointed out scanning it might help or did they want me to get some UEFA delegates over?

So don't believe the UEFA bullshit that it was down to ticketless fans.

Even the Mail and Telegraph journos ended up getting tear gassed said it was horrific.

Sticking half a dozen police vans in the way also helped cause a bit of a bottleneck.
    I think they've been reading your posts on here. ;)
  • Options
    I've just seen Top Gun.

An absolute blast, just fantastic.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

At 5.30pm I was one of the early ones, and got told my ticket was fake, despite UEFA being the ones issuing.

Fortunately I expressed my displeasure in French and also pointed out scanning it might help or did they want me to get some UEFA delegates over?

Even the Mail and Telegraph journos ended up getting tear gassed said it was horrific.

Sticking half a dozen police vans in the way also helped cause a bit of a bottleneck.
    So the police and stadium authorities targeted only Liverpool fans without provocation?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

3rd, or fourth if Matt could count

:smile:

(I'm counting comments, not people.)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

I've just seen Top Gun.

IMAX tomorrow for me
  • Options
    Applicant said:

So the police and stadium authorities targeted only Liverpool fans without provocation?
    From what I saw, very much so.
  • Options

I've just seen Top Gun.

I saw it on Wednesday and loved it, ending might have been a smidge silly but I don't care.
  • Options

I've just seen Top Gun.

IMAX tomorrow for me
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206

First?

Real = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories

:lol:
  • Options

First?

Real = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories

I thought you were a republican?
  • Options

So they actually let you inside? At least you saw the match.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,056

I've just seen Top Gun.

The new one ?
  • Options

First?

Real = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories

OK, how about this?

Man City = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

I am proved right. PartyGate is beginning to get real traction on the news now,

“Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said the text messages had been suppressed and that the public “deserve the truth about why the holding of a lockdown party in the prime minister’s flat on his own birthday has not been made public until now”.

She added the revelation “raises new questions about potential misconduct in public office, which must now be subject to proper and genuinely independent scrutiny” and that “this looks like yet another cover-up”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/29/partygate-sue-gray-knew-carrie-johnson-texts-birthday-party-whitehall

On topic, it remains to be seen Boris loses both by elections, I’m confident my con hold in Tivi is still a winner.

But if he loses both the impact varies on backdrop - backdrop of negative Boris Partygate in news and still losing MPs the gust may be the same, the teetering on edge may be different.

My opinion is Boris is in more trouble now than January going into February on the basis there was a chance back then this story could blow over and away, no longer hollowing Tory’s out - it’s obvious now it’s not going away, Boris chances of recovery small now than the don’t know back in January. Also, Big G talks about fatigue, how about the other way fatigue works such as MPs tired of defending the indefensible the only way out is to act, Or Boris 80 seat majority built on voter Brexit fatigue makes “get Brexit done” into “get Boris done” as only way to make it go away! 🙂

Also, whilst a war came along, and Boris had wait and see report to conclude to bat awkward question away, what’s coming now to save him from scrutiny in this period? Also it may not seem like the numbers are there to win vonc as it inches to 54 letters, but once it’s come off fence and make your mind up time it’s a whole different ball game of danger for Boris and his team.

So yes, vonked in June has to be a tempting bet.
  • Options
    'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

Andrew Pierce discusses the Prime Minister's popularity.

Are some people here on the same stuff as this guy?

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1530943752029757443
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,810

Sympathies

I confess my first reaction was not especially warm to the hymn-booers, but the more I see the more I think: Hmm.

Eg there are now multiple videos of locals in Paris trying to storm their way in. With police looking totally pathetic and ineffectual. Easier to be mean to Liverpool fans, I suspect, than kick off a riot in St Denis. ditto the robbing of fans by the same locals

What a mess

Still, I’m glad Real won. Stop booing the Queen, the anthem, and - most of all - stop booing profound and beautiful hymns, and Britain might like you again
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

I am proved right. PartyGate is beginning to get real traction on the news now,

“Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said the text messages had been suppressed and that the public “deserve the truth about why the holding of a lockdown party in the prime minister’s flat on his own birthday has not been made public until now”.

She added the revelation “raises new questions about potential misconduct in public office, which must now be subject to proper and genuinely independent scrutiny” and that “this looks like yet another cover-up”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/29/partygate-sue-gray-knew-carrie-johnson-texts-birthday-party-whitehall

On topic, it remains to be seen Boris loses both by elections, I’m confident my con hold in Tivi is still a winner.

But if he loses both the impact varies on backdrop - backdrop of negative Boris Partygate in news and still losing MPs the gust may be the same, the teetering on edge may be different.

My opinion is Boris is in more trouble now than January going into February on the basis there was a chance back then this story could blow over and away, no longer hollowing Tory’s out - it’s obvious now it’s not going away, Boris chances of recovery small now than the don’t know back in January. Also, Big G talks about fatigue, how about the other way fatigue works such as MPs tired of defending the indefensible the only way out is to act, Or Boris 80 seat majority built on voter Brexit fatigue makes “get Brexit done” into “get Boris done” as only way to make it go away! 🙂

Also, whilst a war came along, and Boris had wait and see report to conclude to bat awkward question away, what’s coming now to save him from scrutiny in this period? Also it may not seem like the numbers are there to win vonc as it inches to 54 letters, but once it’s come off fence and make your mind up time it’s a whole different ball game of danger for Boris and his team.

So yes, vonked in June has to be a tempting bet.

I agree
  • Options

First?

Real = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories

OK, how about this?

Man City = Labour
    Liverpool = Tories
    Tories win more Trophies than Labour then!
  • Options

'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

Doesnt mean they vote for Boris twice

See Corbyn for info
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    F1: mildly annoyed at myself for not betting on Perez for the win. Think he was around 15.

I did have a tiny bet on Sainz, hedged, to win, which ended up green.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Nottingham Forest into the Premier league
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,121

Yes, from what I hear the treatment of the fans was a disgrace.
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest win the Play-off final and promotion to the EPL.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

Sounds a lot like what happened in Rome in 1997.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Applicant said:

Whilst I'm very sceptical given it was Liverpool, I wouldn't rule it out completely.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Confusing him with HMQ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    LOL

Now that Boris has called for his dog to be put down, his days really are numbered

https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1530917553182281728

LOL @ unintended consequences if Galadriel's been unable to take the revolting little thing to France, because Brexit.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    IshmaelZ said:

Confusing him with HMQ?
    A. Pierce whohe? *looks up on Wiki*

'He has an active and controversial presence on Twitter. On 29th May 2022 he tweeted the following: '18 years after EU ordered govt to remove crown symbol from our pint glasses they're back for #PlatinumJubilee Cheers #Boris".' This is untrue, as documented by the BBC, who reported a spokesperson for the EU clarifying that "EU law does not prevent markings from being placed on products, so long as it does not overlap or be confused with the CE mark."[14]'
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,121
    On topic. Yep, betting into market overreaction is a good technique. Re the Johnson exit, though, I'm doing it in one direction only. The consistent value imo is in him NOT going so I have that as a core position and I top up each time there's a new scandal or a new angle to an old one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

LOL

Now that Boris has called for his dog to be put down, his days really are numbered

LOL @ unintended consequences if Galadriel's been unable to take the revolting little thing to France, because Brexit.

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1530632313629024267
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

Whilst I'm very sceptical given it was Liverpool, I wouldn't rule it out completely.
    And if it it true, the question has to be why? And how does it get stopped from happening again?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

Totes with Boris here. I HATE yappy dogs. Shoot the fuckers. I will do it personally

There’s one right near my Tbilisi hotel. It can yap for hours at a stretch, I’ve come close to marching down and hurling it in the Mrtsksvkrktka river
  • Options

They have to play in the Egyptian Premier League?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

It's true that Starmer doesn't have his charisma but that doesn't mean Boris isn't a turnoff for a good proportion of the electorate. Starmer is there to make the Labour party boring again for a while so it's not even a bad quality to have.
  • Options
    The whole Galadriel does a runner thing has yet to go mainstream. When it does I can see it doing him personal damage.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

It's true that Starmer doesn't have his charisma but that doesn't mean Boris isn't a turnoff for a good proportion of the electorate. Starmer is there to make the Labour party boring again for a while so it's not even a bad quality to have.
    I am very confused why boring is a bad attribute. Anyone ever heard Wilson or Attlee speak?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

Never really got Andrew Pierce. I first encountered him penning these mind-numbingly limp diary pieces for The Times back in the early 2000s. He seems to have gone downhill ever since.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

I've just seen Top Gun.

Did you guess, the moment they mentioned a certain aircraft was being used by the enemy, the ending?
  • Options
    I should also add, I heard from multiple sources that when the police first started deploying tear gas they ended up tear gassing some other officers and things got much worse after that as there were a lot of angry officers about.
  • Options

I've just seen Top Gun.

Did you guess, the moment they mentioned a certain aircraft was being used by the enemy, the ending?
    I've spent the last four days wondering who the enemy nation was?

I know they did the same trick with the first film, which they confirmed was Libya in Maverick.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,964
    edited May 2022

I just want to have his kids photographed with him, with whatever size wide angle lens it takes.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

They have to play in the Egyptian Premier League?
    "The Premier League, also known as the English Premier League"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

I've just seen Top Gun.

Much better than the original.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I just want to have his kids photographed with, with whatever size wide angle lens it takes.
    First seven words of that say it all, for me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

Totes with Boris here. I HATE yappy dogs. Shoot the fuckers. I will do it personally

There’s one right near my Tbilisi hotel. It can yap for hours at a stretch, I’ve come close to marching down and hurling it in the Mrtsksvkrktka river
    Given how much political capital Mr Johnson has made of the pooch, that's not a very helpful remark for him to make, objectively.
  • Options

I've just seen Top Gun.

I've spent the last four days wondering who the enemy nation was?

I know they did the same trick with the first film, which they confirmed was Libya in Maverick.
    I think I have recently said this, but it bears repeating: Apocalypse Now was filmed in the Philippines with Philippine military kit, and the attack helicopters were doing mornings filming the Charley don't surf scene, and then knocking off at lunchtime to fly genuine ground attack in a little local war Marcos was having at the time. You'd want the armourers to be quite good at their jobs.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,964
    This writing style seems familiar..

Dan Coleman
    trdSytc4a:PMac l420 Ma ta12 52 ·
    Righto this baby shit coloured pile of arse holes is ready for its loving new owner.
    I’ve removed the stickers that made the previous owners look like dog interferers so it’s worth at least 5 grand more.
    Anywho to save your time and mine, I figured I’d just do an faq
    Is this item still available ? :🖕
    I am interested in this item : 🖕
    Would you recommend anything needs replacing on it ? : Everything, routinely, every 50 miles otherwise it will fall apart and set itself on fire
    What’s your lowest ? : Athough a personal and unrelated question It gets asked a lot so… probably w@nking off a homeless man in the disabled toilets of a subway in st Helen’s in exchange for some spice
    Does it come with warranty ? : It’s a notoriously unreliable bag of shit from the 70s of course it doesn’t. In fact if you buy it and it gets you further than 50 miles then I’ll give you £100 back
    Is there any rust ? : Refer to vehicle make and model
    Has it had any recent work ? : Yes, I put a new fuel pump push rod in it because I chopped the original one in half so I could get free recovery home rather than drive it
    Is it water tight ? : Probably not
    This is our first Volkswagen, is there anything you would recommend ? : Buy a transit custom for less money
    How many does it sleep ? : 4 uncomfortably
    What are the gears like ? : Shaking a black mamba in the depths of a single mother of 7 from Salford
    Does it leak oil ? : Refer to vehicle make and model
    Is it good on fuel ? : Yes, well it runs better on fuel than on water
    I saw this up for less money last week ? : Your mum was up for less money last week
    Good points : Its mot exempt and has a fire extinguisher on board
    That about covers the most of it. So if it sounds like the van of your dreams then give me a call and start the first day of the rest of your life
    £15k

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

he is a Tory cult nutter
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RobD said:

I think they've been reading your posts on here. ;)
    Sorry about all of that.

Hope the same does not happen in Derbyshire Sheffield.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited May 2022
    On topic, I suspect that enough Tory MPs want Boris gone with one proviso: that they could reach a reasonable consensus on who should replace him. But they can't reach that consensus, or anywhere near it - especially after Sunak's fall from grace. So not enough letters have gone in to Mr. Brady, so he hasn't gone. And won't.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Nigelb said:

Weirdest fetish yet reported on PB.
    When it comes to Johnson, the trouble is his propensity for touching others, especially attractive young women.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Weirdest fetish yet reported on PB.
    I want to touch you bbz
  • Options

On topic, I suspect that enough Tory MPs want Boris gone with one proviso: that they could reach a reasonable consensus on who should replace him. But they can't reach that consensus, or anywhere near it - especially after Sunak's fall from grace. So he hasn't gone, and not enough letters have gone in. And won't.

I don't think they are after consensus, you don't expect elections to go by consensus and when they do it's usually because things are so fucked nobody really wants the job anyway (Howard, May). What may be holding them back is the astonishing-but-true fact that there is a very much greater than zero chance of ending up with someone worse than Johnson. Vote Johnson out, get Truss.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited May 2022

Monkeys said:

I am very confused why boring is a bad attribute. Anyone ever heard Wilson or Attlee speak?
    Wilson was quite a witty speaker in his day, was he not? Are you sure it is not his accent putting you off?

I've just found this on Youtube: a half-hour interview with Wilson before the first 1974 election. Can you imagine Boris doing this? Will there be a windfall tax? One odd thing to our ears is the talk of housewives in regard to food prices. Also a discussion of wage increases in time of inflation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaasnLeYdIE
  • Options
    This thread has given me an idea for extorting money from my kids. I'll tell them that if they don't cough up, I'm going to get them photographed with BJ and have it circulated.
    They'd pay up.
  • Options

This thread has given me an idea for extorting money from my kids. I'll tell them that if they don't cough up, I'm going to get them photographed with BJ and have it circulated.
    They'd pay up.

One of the worst things about lockdowns was prior to lockdowns when my kids annoyed me I used to threatened to hug and kiss them in front of their mates.

I lost the ability to deploy that threat for nearly two years.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

MattW said:

Fifth, and cut off by the thread.

MattW said:

OT

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on PB but I have to say I am rather disturbed by the fact that the BBC have reversed the hiring of a stand in radio presenter simply on the grounds he is left wing and anti-Boris Johnson.

Are we to see a situation where, every time there is a change of Government, the whole of the BBC presenting establishment has to be fired and rehired based on their political persuasion? Or do we want our presenters only to be drawn from the ranks of those who are so disengaged from life that they hold no political views at all?

I suspect I disagree with pretty much everyone of Mr Stadlen's political positions - though to be fair I have never actually heard of him before now - but unless he abuses his position as a presenter then he should not be barred from a job simply because he is critical of the Government.

Not sure. If this is correct (published by Guido, but it was wrong the BBC would have pushed back) he was continuing being nakedly partisan up until mere days ago. Is that tenable for a BBC presenter on a rolling News (Radio 5) channel? I'd say they may have violated their own standard.

More like a recruiting process off the rails, perhaps? Or a horribly poor sense of judgement on Standen's part.

One could understand if it was 5 years ago, but whilst he has been after the job?

He is not yet employed by the BBC and has broken none of their rules or guidelines. He has every right to express his political position and personally I would think less of him if he stopped his activities just to get a job. Unless he had had a Damascene conversion then it would still be known that he was vehemently anti-Tory. But then so are probably close to half the population. If that were the standard to go by then just about the only person on PB who would reach the bar to work for the BBC would be HYUFD.

This is a fundamentally wrong and dangerous road to travel down.

I agree this course of events is undesirable, but I think you are relying too much on dot and tittle and the 'letter of the law' there. He has put a honking great public question mark over his ability to follow the published guidelines for contractors / freelancers, never mind employees:

2. Rules and expectations of social media use for all colleagues (employees, contractors and freelancers)
    The following rules and expectations apply to all those working for the BBC, for professional (@BBC) and personal social media accounts.

1. Always behave professionally, treating others with respect and courtesy at all times: follow the BBC’s Values.

2. Don’t bring the BBC into disrepute.

3. If your work requires you to maintain your impartiality, don’t express a personal opinion on matters of public policy, politics, or ‘controversial subjects’.**

4. Don’t criticise your colleagues in public. Respect the privacy of the workplace and the confidentiality of internal announcements.

** Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code defines political or industrial controversy as political or industrial issues on which politicians, industry and/or the media are in debate.

https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidance/individual-use-of-social-media

2 perhaps covers it already, arguably.

I think the BBC need to explain their reverse-ferret, and why they did not pick it up before. Poor judgement imo.

I'd be interested to see something similar before. At the moment the Twatterati are arguing things like "But Laura Kuenssberg was a Tory at University" to underpin their alleged outrage.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options

They'd pay up.

One of the worst things about lockdowns was prior to lockdowns when my kids annoyed me I used to threatened to hug and kiss them in front of their mates.

I lost the ability to deploy that threat for nearly two years.
    You could have hacked into their Zoom meetings with their mates: "Daddy's here. Love you!".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

They'd pay up.

They'd also report you to Social Services, have you arrested and themselves put into care, I should think. I mean - putting them next to Johnson?!!!
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    @TheScreamingEagles welcome back and sorry for the result.

What is your appraisal of what happened yesterday outside the stadium? Would be interested to hear an eyewitness.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,921
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

We have a little yappy dog, a Chihuahua. And honestly, I wish we'd got her years ago.

Because if we had she would probably be dead by now.
  • Options

This writing style seems familiar..

Dan Coleman
    trdSytc4a:PMac l420 Ma ta12 52 ·
    Righto this baby shit coloured pile of arse holes is ready for its loving new owner.
    I’ve removed the stickers that made the previous owners look like dog interferers so it’s worth at least 5 grand more.
    Anywho to save your time and mine, I figured I’d just do an faq
    Is this item still available ? :🖕
    I am interested in this item : 🖕
    Would you recommend anything needs replacing on it ? : Everything, routinely, every 50 miles otherwise it will fall apart and set itself on fire
    What’s your lowest ? : Athough a personal and unrelated question It gets asked a lot so… probably w@nking off a homeless man in the disabled toilets of a subway in st Helen’s in exchange for some spice
    Does it come with warranty ? : It’s a notoriously unreliable bag of shit from the 70s of course it doesn’t. In fact if you buy it and it gets you further than 50 miles then I’ll give you £100 back
    Is there any rust ? : Refer to vehicle make and model
    Has it had any recent work ? : Yes, I put a new fuel pump push rod in it because I chopped the original one in half so I could get free recovery home rather than drive it
    Is it water tight ? : Probably not
    This is our first Volkswagen, is there anything you would recommend ? : Buy a transit custom for less money
    How many does it sleep ? : 4 uncomfortably
    What are the gears like ? : Shaking a black mamba in the depths of a single mother of 7 from Salford
    Does it leak oil ? : Refer to vehicle make and model
    Is it good on fuel ? : Yes, well it runs better on fuel than on water
    I saw this up for less money last week ? : Your mum was up for less money last week
    Good points : Its mot exempt and has a fire extinguisher on board
    That about covers the most of it. So if it sounds like the van of your dreams then give me a call and start the first day of the rest of your life
    £15k

Lol! It has to be our dear and mutual friend
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

We have a little yappy dog, a Chihuahua. And honestly, I wish we'd got her years ago.

I'll tell you what, it softens the whole divorce thing when the wife gets exclusive custody of the dogs.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

What is your appraisal of what happened yesterday outside the stadium? Would be interested to hear an eyewitness.

He was in the ground not outside.

don't want to put words into his mouth, but I'm guessing he is drafting a reply on the lines of: I now realise that for a successful middle class professional like myself, purporting to be a football "fan" is merely a form of first world poverty tourism. I have learned my lesson and in future will follow the rugger and cricket.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,902
    kle4 said:

I've just seen Top Gun.

Much better than the original.
    I saw it today. It was an unnecessary film. The original did what it did; told a story well and played perfectly to its audience. A sequel was unnecessary.

But... I loved it. The plot was a bit Team America: "America, F*ck Yeah!" and Cruise's acting was as poor as ever. However the filmography was excellent, and even though the aerial scenes were probably unrealistic (IANAE...), they were action-packed. I loved the way they got Val Kilmer into the film despite his health problems, and the personal plots also melded well with the original.

Overall, it played a great homage to the original. As a standalone film it'd be a mess, but as a sequel it was excellent and, most importantly and unlike many sequels, it did not spoil the original.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,902

I've just seen Top Gun.

I'd just say: the plane at the beginning (a ?twenty minute? segment that was totally unnecessary) was ridiculous. I won't place any spoilers, but a plane with its capabilities is pointless: far too expensive to make and operate when ballistic missiles can do the job better. IMO. :)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

I'll tell you what, it softens the whole divorce thing when the wife gets exclusive custody of the dogs.
    I have absolutely ZERO sentimental attachment to animals, It shocks everyone I know - even close friends - when I admit it,

I hate cruelty to animals in general. Factory farming upsets me, etc

But individual animals? Fuck em. If they annoy me, chuck them off a cliff. This includes family pets
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I'm guessing he ...
    You're right. I asked @TheScreamingEagles not someone who wasn't there. But I'm interested that you think he teleported into the ground.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Monkeys said:

Wilson was quite a witty speaker in his day, was he not? Are you sure it is not his accent putting you off?

I've just found this on Youtube: a half-hour interview with Wilson before the first 1974 election. Can you imagine Boris doing this? Will there be a windfall tax? One odd thing to our ears is the talk of housewives in regard to food prices. Also a discussion of wage increases in time of inflation.
    Interesting - he sounds quite Corbynite to modern ears. Price controls! Rent controls! Very assured speaker, though.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Monkeys said:

yes one day after boris and putin and trump and covid everyone will want a sit down and a cup of tea.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

They probably deserved to win but as a Town supporter I felt we should have had 2 penalties - and that seems to be the opinion on the websites.
  • Options
    slade said:

They probably deserved to win but as a Town supporter I felt we should have had 2 penalties - and that seems to be the opinion on the websites.
    Certainly the one the guy got booked for diving was a penalty.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I'm guessing he ...
    You're right. I asked @TheScreamingEagles not someone who wasn't there. But I'm interested that you think he teleported into the ground.
    Surely parachuted in?
  • Options
    Chuffed to see Forest back in the top division.

Be good to face some competition from a club that could win in Europe as many times as Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City combined.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

They'd pay up.

If I still had children I’d write to their schools warning the head that they allowed Johnson anywhere near my children I’d sue
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    malcolmg said:

he is a Tory cult nutter
    As David Frum says about Trump, when this is finally all over, no one will admit they had anything to do with him, or gave him the time of day.
  • Options
    Quite incredible frankly....

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h
    Astonishing with all that's going on, that the Labour Party is is having public war of words over whether a woman can be born with a penis.
  • Options

Be good to face some competition from a club that could win in Europe as many times as Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City combined.

We'd have won the 1989-90 European Cup.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

We'd have won the 1989-90 European Cup.
    Nottingham Evening Post planning a 48 page special edition for tomorrow apparently!!!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h
    Astonishing with all that's going on, that the Labour Party is is having public war of words over whether a woman can be born with a penis.

An avoidable cock up.
    That’s a phallusy.
  • Options
    Stella Creasy is a genius. She’s managed to get free publicity for Labour’s new position of women can’t have penises
  • Options

Monkeys said:

Interesting - he sounds quite Corbynite to modern ears. Price controls! Rent controls! Very assured speaker, though.
    Isn't the failure of price controls in 1970s one of the lessons that Corbyn didn't learn? I ask as a genuine economic question rather than just having a go.
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h

That's just so they can finally choose a "female" leader next time.
This discussion has been closed.