Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    edited May 2022

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Ministers are considering whether to overturn the ban on new grammar schools, despite opposition from civil servants, The Telegraph understands

Out of ideas

Lots more left: Hanging, banning abortion, banning homosexuality, rationing, conscription. There is loads more good stuff from the fifties we can do.
    More BOBBIES on the BEAT. So the nippers are kept on the straight and narrow and you can always find out what time it is.
    TBH, I fully expect Labour to go big on something like this at the next GE. Promise to tackle crime is always a vote winner and although the evidence for bobbies on the beat doesn't stack up against smarter policing, the public like to here there will be more.
    And why not? The Tories have slashed policing. Especially community policing. Folk like it. And not just elderly conservative ones.
    A possibility of taking the souped up, ridiculously noisy motorbikes with no registration plates off the road at all hours is a vote winner for me. And ending nuisance scam calls.
    The problem is. The Tories have lost touch with putting it in those terms. Cos they don't experience them. It's all "young people and their raves and drugs". Like it's 1991 or summat.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ministers are considering whether to overturn the ban on new grammar schools, despite opposition from civil servants, The Telegraph understands

Out of ideas

Will go down well with Boris' core vote.

48% of Tory voters want to build new grammar schools, with only 19% wanting to retain new grammars and not build any more and just 14% wanting to open them to all abilities and end selective education.

By contrast only 15% of Labour voters and 26% of LDs want to open new grammar schools

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection?crossBreak=conservative
    You need more than a core vote to save your inheritance tax from labour
    If Labour propose reversing Osborne's inheritance tax cut, they will be down to their core vote if that
    No they won't and actually a reduction in the amount from a million would be well supported
    Wrong, 59% of UK voters think inheritance tax is unfair, just 22% think it is fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair
    You post a poll from 2015 in support of your argument

If Labour win power a wealth tax and an IHT allowance cut are the first things in Rachel Reeves budget
    Yes and there has been little change since, even this month Yougov found 47% think inheritance tax unfair, just 21% fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/how-fair-is-inheritance-tax.

If Rachel Reeves became chancellor after a Labour win and pushed through an inheritance tax rise it would be a one term government and thrown out at the next election
    I'll take that thanks.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,312

Nancy Pelosi’s husband has been arrested on a DUI charge.

Forgive me but what is DUI
    Driving under the influence.
    You don’t watch enough US cop shows!
    I simply do not watch any US shows to be fair

Thank you for your reply
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Lots more left: Hanging, banning abortion, banning homosexuality, rationing, conscription. There is loads more good stuff from the fifties we can do.
    I am sure death penalty is next.

Honestly it’s just embarrassing, if you’re under the age of 90 these issues are totally irrelevant
    Gentlemen’s wager says the death penalty will not be in any bill brought to parliament before the next election.
    If it keeps him where he wants to be, he will do absolutely anything. I doubt it will be in the next manifesto, but if needs must.

He is a man without shame.
    It's a wedge issue as lefty lawyers will obviously be against it.

But a bit confusing as those "traitors of the people", high court judges, will be the ones putting on the death caps.
    I simply believe the idea of bringing back hanging is medieval and wrong
    Completely right
    If the middle ages ended in 1963, yes

It's *private* hangings I can't be doing with; all the moral contortions and none of the fun. If we're going to do it let's be up front about it.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Cookie said:

Isn't new grammar schools announcement the Tory equivalent of loft laggers of the world? They announce it seemingly every year for the pat 5 years.

No, that’s imperial measures.

Grammar schools were run up the flag by Theresa May because Nick Timothy (reliably wrong about everything) had a bee his bonnet about them.

The idea was killed by blue-on-blue criticism.

Boris might have another go, he might not.

We’ve reached a quantum state where there is no distinction between serious policy; policy designed to “own the libs”; and utter fabrications thrown out to client journalists every so often in the knowledge that the target voters are too senile to remember one day from the next.
    I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently. Its a bit like saying we have a transport policy, its not to fine you if you do 71 mph between hours of midnight and 5am.

The Grammar schools (and I guess Free Schools before it) is a policy to do something, even if it isn't unlikely to happen in terms of Grammar schools.
    I thought that had already been removed. Clearly not.

I was pretty angry about the introduction of fining people for selling in Imperial. I don't care what units people use, and I certainly don't think the state should be criminalising Imperial. I prefer imperial for the purposes of speaking - in the butcher I will ask for a pound of mince, rather than half a kilo - but I don't mind if Tesco choose to package their mince in metric.

Grammar schools are more complicated, and I have numerous conflicting opinions abou grammar schools. I think anyone who doesn't have numerous conflincting opinions about grammar schools probably hasn't thought about it enough.
    There are numerous studies showing grammar schools dont help raise educational attainment. However my son went to a grammar and he believes if he had gone to the comprehensive alternative he wouldn't have got where he is. So anecdote over statistics and we live in a world where both can be true. Individual outcomes arent predictable from stats and vice versa
  • Options

Driving under the influence
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

48% of Tory voters want to build new grammar schools, with only 19% wanting to retain new grammars and not build any more and just 14% wanting to open them to all abilities and end selective education.

By contrast only 15% of Labour voters and 26% of LDs want to open new grammar schools

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection?crossBreak=conservative
    If Labour propose reversing Osborne's inheritance tax cut, they will be down to their core vote if that
    No they won't and actually a reduction in the amount from a million would be well supported
    Wrong, 59% of UK voters think inheritance tax is unfair, just 22% think it is fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair

If Labour win power a wealth tax and an IHT allowance cut are the first things in Rachel Reeves budget
    Yes and there has been little change since, even this month Yougov found 47% think inheritance tax unfair, just 21% fair

If Rachel Reeves became chancellor after a Labour win and pushed through an inheritance tax rise it would be a one term government and thrown out at the next election
    Not with Boris running the conservatives party
    If he lost the next general election he wouldn't be
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited May 2022
    I would expect Labour to go into the next election with a pledge against lifting inheritance tax.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Isn't new grammar schools announcement the Tory equivalent of loft laggers of the world? They announce it seemingly every year for the pat 5 years.

Grammar schools were run up the flag by Theresa May because Nick Timothy (reliably wrong about everything) had a bee his bonnet about them.

We’ve reached a quantum state where there is no distinction between serious policy; policy designed to “own the libs”; and utter fabrications thrown out to client journalists every so often in the knowledge that the target voters are too senile to remember one day from the next.
    I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently. Its a bit like saying we have a transport policy, its not to fine you if you do 71 mph between hours of midnight and 5am.

The Grammar schools (and I guess Free Schools before it) is a policy to do something, even if it isn't unlikely to happen in terms of Grammar schools.

I was pretty angry about the introduction of fining people for selling in Imperial. I don't care what units people use, and I certainly don't think the state should be criminalising Imperial. I prefer imperial for the purposes of speaking - in the butcher I will ask for a pound of mince, rather than half a kilo - but I don't mind if Tesco choose to package their mince in metric.

Grammar schools are more complicated, and I have numerous conflicting opinions abou grammar schools. I think anyone who doesn't have numerous conflincting opinions about grammar schools probably hasn't thought about it enough.
    There are numerous studies showing grammar schools dont help raise educational attainment. However my son went to a grammar and he believes if he had gone to the comprehensive alternative he wouldn't have got where he is. So anecdote over statistics and we live in a world where both can be true. Individual outcomes arent predictable from stats and vice versa
    Certainly former grammar school pupils are a far higher proportion of Oxbridge students than their percentage of UK schoolchildren overall
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

Not with Boris running the conservatives party
    If he lost the next general election he wouldn't be
    Not if - when
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited May 2022
    Just watched ITV Traitor News. Big report on Partygate/Gray Abba whitewash.

For good old Auntie BBC Partygate, is over. Nice report on the Queen's Jubilee though. The BBC, the news broadcaster of patriots.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

More BOBBIES on the BEAT. So the nippers are kept on the straight and narrow and you can always find out what time it is.
    TBH, I fully expect Labour to go big on something like this at the next GE. Promise to tackle crime is always a vote winner and although the evidence for bobbies on the beat doesn't stack up against smarter policing, the public like to here there will be more.
    And why not? The Tories have slashed policing. Especially community policing. Folk like it. And not just elderly conservative ones.
    A possibility of taking the souped up, ridiculously noisy motorbikes with no registration plates off the road at all hours is a vote winner for me. And ending nuisance scam calls.
    The problem is. The Tories have lost touch with putting it in those terms. Cos they don't experience them. It's all "young people and their raves and drugs". Like it's 1991 or summat.
    I wasn't saying promising more police is a bad idea. Was more commenting its an open goal which I can't imagine former DPP won't take advantage of. My point was more specifically the evidence shows that just sticking more bodies on the beat isn't the most effective use of resources. People are less interesting to hear about the use of properly resourced intelligent policing to target criminal activity versus I want to see a bloke in a silly hat walking around.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Certainly former grammar school pupils are a far higher proportion of Oxbridge students than their percentage of UK schoolchildren overall
    And a much greater proportion of Secondary Modern pupils are functionally illiterate and innumerate.
    So. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
  • Options

I would expect Labour to go into the next election with a pledge against lifting inheritance tax.

I expect they will reduce the million, which is largely a bung to London home owners and would affect few of the red wall seats
  • Options
    I’m not convinced “bobbies on the beat” *doesn’t* work, if one can use the term in the fullest sense.

To me it implies policemen who take have the time and focus to really understand a specific local community and can therefore act prophylactically, as it were.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

You do realise that only 4 percent of estates pay any inheritance tax AT ALL? Given its obvious inherent fairness over any other form of tax, I think whet your data really tell us is that 47% of YouGov respondents are in the top 4 %
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    Aren’t you the poster that holds up cashiers by paying in exact change
    wow paying money is a crime now.....only in lefty minds
    No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    What on Earth are you on about
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    You’re dangerously silly.

You said an advantage of imperial is that you can divide by three. Ever heard of a calculator?
    16 is not divisible by 3 ...
    I don't know why CHB keeps confusing imperial and the old lsd money system shrugs but under the old money system 16£ divided by 3 was 5£ and some shillings and pence exactly
  • Options

I expect they will reduce the million, which is largely a bung to London home owners and would affect few of the red wall seats
    Not even that.
    Keir and Rachael have a plan.

Partly it involves ditching anything that be used as a weapon against them by the Tory press; that includes inheritance tax.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I’m not convinced “bobbies on the beat” *doesn’t* work, if one can use the term in the fullest sense.

To me it implies policemen who take have the time and focus to really understand a specific local community and can therefore act prophylactically, as it were.

I think it is more if you use the term to describe the police just being sent out to walk around on a regular beat. Plenty of academic evidence to show that just having more of that kind of policing isn't in of itself the most effective use of resources.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

I am sure death penalty is next.

Honestly it’s just embarrassing, if you’re under the age of 90 these issues are totally irrelevant
    Gentlemen’s wager says the death penalty will not be in any bill brought to parliament before the next election.
    If it keeps him where he wants to be, he will do absolutely anything. I doubt it will be in the next manifesto, but if needs must.

He is a man without shame.
    It's a wedge issue as lefty lawyers will obviously be against it.

But a bit confusing as those "traitors of the people", high court judges, will be the ones putting on the death caps.
    I simply believe the idea of bringing back hanging is medieval and wrong
    Completely right
    If the middle ages ended in 1963, yes

It's *private* hangings I can't be doing with; all the moral contortions and none of the fun. If we're going to do it let's be up front about it.
    Well if we are making it public let's do it properly and hang, draw and quarter. These Tories are just a bunch of namby pamby liberals.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

I wasn't saying promising more police is a bad idea. Was more commenting its an open goal which I can't imagine former DPP won't take advantage of. My point was more specifically the evidence shows that just sticking more bodies on the beat isn't the most effective use of resources. People are less interesting to hear about the use of properly resourced intelligent policing to target criminal activity versus I want to see a bloke in a silly hat walking around.
    Well yes. I wasn't meaning to criticise your point. I was actually clumsily trying to reinforce it.
    I obviously didn't do a good job of it.
    Maybe I could get a Cabinet post?
  • Options

Not even that.

Partly it involves ditching anything that be used as a weapon against them by the Tory press; that includes inheritance tax.
    Wealth tax, tax on shares and dividends reducing most voters pensions and annuities, to name two more
  • Options

Not even that.

Wealth tax, tax on shares and dividends reducing most voters pensions and annuities, to name two more
    Brown increased tax on shares and dividends and destroyed the final salary schemes in the private sector
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

Democratic Unionist... Institute.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Not even that.

Brown increased tax on shares and dividends and destroyed the final salary schemes in the private sector
    You are obsessed with attacking Labour and the imperial system
  • Options

I think it is more if you use the term to describe the police just being sent out to walk around on a regular beat. Plenty of academic evidence to show that just having more of that kind of policing isn't in of itself the most effective use of resources.
    Peter Hitchens wrote a whole book years ago saying your are completely wrong.

I had so much spare time at the time that I actually read it.

Make of that what you will :smile:
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Not even that.

The Tory press will weaponise a bacon sandwich though. Or a dead father. Recently, they tried to weaponise SKS saying he'd resign if found guilty, as if this was "pressuring the police".
    Labour just needs to lean its beliefs and stop trying to pander to the people who are going to drag them over the coals anyway.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

PB: where to go to find people REALLY ANGRY ABOUT IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS.

I am not angry about imperial measurements as have worked in both metric, imperial and all sorts of measurements and can convert easily. I do get angry about having things attributed to me I never said as I think we all do. I would get equally angry if someone accused me of saying that Bucks fizz was a really great pop group
    Yes, I know, my comment was not really fair, just being whimsical.

I quite like Bucks Fizz though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Well yes. I wasn't meaning to criticise your point. I was actually clumsily trying to reinforce it.
    While its true that bobbies on the beat isnt the most effective use of police resources and we agree on that. I think part of the problem is taking the police off the beat seems to have made them feel that street level crime is beneath them somehow.

I cite the fact that reporting your car being broken into in many area's only gets the bored response here is the crime number for your insurance claim....same sadly now happens a lot with house burglarly. Give them someone misgendering someone on twitter though and they are all over it. Frankly the police need a kick and start dealing with crime that actually matters
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

You do realise that only 4 percent of estates pay any inheritance tax AT ALL? Given its obvious inherent fairness over any other form of tax, I think whet your data really tell us is that 47% of YouGov respondents are in the top 4 %
    Only 4% do now, far more would if the threshold was lowered again
  • Options
    Perhaps the letters are nearer 54 than we thought...

"Tory rebels were last night ordered to abandon their attempts to oust Boris Johnson for the sake of the country.

Cabinet ministers rallying around the Prime Minister warned plotters that a challenge to his leadership would fail."

Daily Mail

• Options
    Farooq said:

Not even that.

The Tory press will weaponise a bacon sandwich though. Or a dead father. Recently, they tried to weaponise SKS saying he'd resign if found guilty, as if this was "pressuring the police".
    Labour just needs to lean its beliefs and stop trying to pander to the people who are going to drag them over the coals anyway.
    I disagree.

Labour needs to find message discipline, partly to fend off the Tory press, but partly also to keep the broader eccentricism of the Labour family in check.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

I am not angry about imperial measurements as have worked in both metric, imperial and all sorts of measurements and can convert easily. I do get angry about having things attributed to me I never said as I think we all do. I would get equally angry if someone accused me of saying that Bucks fizz was a really great pop group

Eurovision winners, 1981!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,662

The 1997 pledge card pledged to halve the time to sentencing for young offenders.

That sort of pledge should run again. Waiting lists for trial dates are a scandal. In practice a lot of cases are going to have to be abandoned otherwise.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

And a much greater proportion of Secondary Modern pupils are functionally illiterate and innumerate.
    So. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
    Are they? In selective areas I doubt any of the secondary moderns/high school pupils are any more illiterate and innumerate than our worst performing inadequate and requires improvement comprehensives and acadamies in non selective areas
  • Options

Not even that.

LOL I am going to say it again, 96% of estates pay no IHT at all. Do you seriously think "most voters" have pensions or annuities with an exposure to equities? Or are going to get hammered by a wealth tax? I am astonished at the extent to which the electorate is in thrall to its insect overlords.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Not even that.

You are obsessed with attacking Labour and the imperial system
    Err that is a statement of fact....brown changed the tax system for dividends the final salary schemes in the private sector collapsed as he was told they would and I don't actually care about the imperial system so stop lying I have told you that over and over and you havent produced a single post from me saying we should return to it so again put up or shut up.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Some years ago there was a petition on the government site titled "Bring back proper money". IIRC around a dozen people signed it. Some joker started it as a piss take.

Amazing that we are now contemplating it as potential government policy.

Mind, if it wasn't for lsd, the term "thruppeny bits" would never have made it into rhyming slang.
  • Options

Peter Hitchens wants to return Britain to the 1950s across the board
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,839

"Tory rebels were last night ordered to abandon their attempts to oust Boris Johnson for the sake of the country.

Cabinet ministers rallying around the Prime Minister warned plotters that a challenge to his leadership would fail."

Daily Mail

For the sake of the country he should be out of no 10 already ! The DM is now just a fan magazine for the fat oaf .
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The 1997 pledge card pledged to halve the time to sentencing for young offenders.

That sort of pledge should run again. Waiting lists for trial dates are a scandal. In practice a lot of cases are going to have to be abandoned otherwise.
    The Tory record on crime is appalling.
    Also on health care.
    Also on standards of living.

I can’t think of a government - not since Major’s Tories indeed - with a poorer record to take to the voters on the three most salient issues.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Not even that.

I disagree.

Labour needs to find message discipline, partly to fend off the Tory press, but partly also to keep the broader eccentricism of the Labour family in check.
    Yeah, they need to stop saying mad things. Both the two main parties need that.
    But the rubric shouldn't be ditching anything that can be weaponised by the Tory press because that's literally a superset of everything that has ever existed and everything that ever will.
  • Options
    ‘I’m with the gays’: How new revelations of Carrie Johnson gathering on Boris’ birthday may derail his premiership

Telegraph.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Too dangerously progressive for your tastes, I'm betting. It's all powdered wigs and falconry in HYUFD Towers.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

I can’t think of a government - not since Major’s Tories indeed - with a poorer record to take to the voters on the three most salient issues.
    In 1997, crime was falling thanks to Howard and unemployment was low and the economy was growing, certainly a better legacy on that than Brown Labour in 2010
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Too dangerously progressive for your tastes, I'm betting. It's all powdered wigs and falconry in HYUFD Towers.
    Still far too modern for @JackW
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

While its true that bobbies on the beat isnt the most effective use of police resources and we agree on that. I think part of the problem is taking the police off the beat seems to have made them feel that street level crime is beneath them somehow.

I cite the fact that reporting your car being broken into in many area's only gets the bored response here is the crime number for your insurance claim....same sadly now happens a lot with house burglarly. Give them someone misgendering someone on twitter though and they are all over it. Frankly the police need a kick and start dealing with crime that actually matters
    On that we agree. Strongly.
    Stuff that makes folk seem unsafe should be prioritised. Weird scam phone calls and emails. Folk riding around on vehicles with no numberplates wearing balaclava with eye holes cut out. Mobile phone harvesting at gigs. Just some examples.
    But. The government is totally out of touch. Their idea of crime is 15 years out of date.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

In 1997, crime was falling thanks to Howard and unemployment was low and the economy was growing, certainly a better legacy on that than Brown Labour in 2010
    Worse than Major’s Tories, then!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Not even that.

LOL I am going to say it again, 96% of estates pay no IHT at all. Do you seriously think "most voters" have pensions or annuities with an exposure to equities? Or are going to get hammered by a wealth tax? I am astonished at the extent to which the electorate is in thrall to its insect overlords.
    Most employees pension schemes invest in shares and rely on dividends

I am surprised you think it is unimportant though on IHT at the current million I agree only 4% of estates pay at present
  • Options

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

They can't even get the super new blue passports out in time.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Well of course they are, that is because you have creamed off what are generally the brightest kids, but it has been done at the wrong age. It should be done at 16 not 11, that way you can stream by subject rather than put all students in one of two buckets giving all kids the best opportunity for all of them. You can encourage those that are good at individual subjects and those struggling in individual subjects. A kid maybe brilliant at maths but useless at English, another maybe a talented musician but hopeless at languages. Some develop later, others blossom early then decline. Selecting at 11 and putting in one of two buckets for all subjects is crude and cruel.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Daily Mail

For the sake of the country he should be out of no 10 already ! The DM is now just a fan magazine for the fat oaf .
    Yes, it should actually have read as:

"Cabinet ministers, almost every single one of which would be fired under any new PM, were rallying around..."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Pagan2 said:

Quite so. Much maligned! :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

Democratic Unionist... Institute.
    I for Irish, surely?
  • Options

‘I’m with the gays’: How new revelations of Carrie Johnson gathering on Boris’ birthday may derail his premiership

Telegraph.

Should that not be Gray
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

You are living in a land of make believe.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

The worsels won eurovision too just saying....I dont regard winning eurovision as proof of quality
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Falling in 1997? Relative to which terrible government before that?
  • Options

Telegraph.

Is there a link for that?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/29/carrie-johnson-faces-grilling-mps-secret-boris-birthday-bash/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Telegraph.

Presumably this the ABBA party.
    That didn’t happen.

Another day, another party.

No wonder Nadine is trying to circle the wagons.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Telegraph.

That didn’t happen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/29/gays-new-revelations-carrie-johnson-gathering-boris-birthday/
  • Options
    Telegraph causing trouble for Boris, surely thats end if days stuff.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    This shows a different story:
    https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/crime-rate-statistics
  • Options

Telegraph.

Should that not be Gray
    It is not a good story for Boris but it will be paywalled
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that in 1997 Britain was a land of pure delight at the wisdom and foresight of its benign and wise rulers.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    Frankly I take that crime graph with a pinch of salt as people often don't even bother reporting crime now unless they need a number for their insurance
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Telegraph.

That didn’t happen.

No, this is the evening of June 19. Phatbois birthday part 2.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that in 1997 Britain was a land of pure delight at the wisdom and foresight of its benign and wise rulers.
    1997 was quite some election. I really enjoyed it.

That the economy had picked up didn't endear the government to the voters.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

And I believe that is why ultimately the Tories may lose
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Sadly I wasn't here to enjoy it.
    Seems peculiar to argue that the country was in some form of social and economic nirvana then though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Same here. I was at a party and when the Northavon result came in as a LD win we all looked at each other going where the f*** is Northavon? A bit of thought and we could probably worked out it was north of the Avon.
  • Options
    Saint-Etienne v Auxerre: Ugly scenes after Ligue 1 relegation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61628488

Makes the minor trouble from pitch invasions here over the past couple of weeks look like small beer.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

A red top running with “put Dylan down” story. Now that really would have been the end of days for one dog 🫣
  • Options

A red top running with “put Dylan down” story. Now that really would have been the end of days for one dog 🫣
    He's just turned 81 and still produces intermittently great music.
    Bastards.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

I've just seen Top Gun.

An absolute blast, just fantastic.

Did you guess, the moment they mentioned a certain aircraft was being used by the enemy, the ending?
    I've spent the last four days wondering who the enemy nation was?

I know they did the same trick with the first film, which they confirmed was Libya in Maverick.
    Only one other nation on the planet flew the airplane in question, apart from the USA

Same nation has an on again/off again history with uranium enrichment.
  • Options

Daily Mail

"Tory rebels were last night ordered to abandon their attempts to oust Boris Johnson for the sake of the country.‘

Whaaaaaaaaat? Rebels got to bloody well get on with it, for the sake of the country.

It’s simple. There’s a leadership election. Someone will emerge from the publicity and excitement and get crowned. Instantly Boris, Partygate etc is all put in the past.

A new government could not be worse than this shower. it will be cut from the backbenchers, no more save Boris sycophant’s dragging our country down.

For the sake of committed and loyal PB Tory’s, trying to defend the indefensible for months now, give them a break - you back bench MPs, wake up!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bastards.
    Autocorrect at its best 🤗
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

I've just seen Top Gun.

An absolute blast, just fantastic.

Did you guess, the moment they mentioned a certain aircraft was being used by the enemy, the ending?
    I'd just say: the plane at the beginning (a ?twenty minute? segment that was totally unnecessary) was ridiculous. I won't place any spoilers, but a plane with its capabilities is pointless: far too expensive to make and operate when ballistic missiles can do the job better. IMO. :)
    There is an interesting doctrinal issue there. One chunk if the US military wants exactly such a plane. Another wants low observable instead.

Google “Isinglass” for the beginnings of the story….
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

The worsels won eurovision too just saying....I dont regard winning eurovision as proof of quality
    The Wurzels DID NOT WIN Eurovision!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

No party was ever going to win again after 18 years in power, however the fact the New Labour government of 1997-2001 stuck to the previous Tory government's economic policies on the whole showed they were working, hence they were re relected in 2001
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Also on health care.

Source?
    Crime fell in 1995 and 1996 when Howard was Home Secretary on those stats, thanks for confimring
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Bastards.
    The Big Pink is a rather small house down the very end of a twisting lane, inside a pine forest and halfway up a mountain.

Very evocative.

Luckily my wife shares my Dylan appreciation, though perhaps the same cannot be said for the children.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Like Imperial measures coming back...BBC cutting channels not going to happen.

CBBC will continue to make diverse programmes and the TV channel will remain for at least three years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/29/lenny-henry-says-making-cbbc-online-only-means-children-miss/

I wonder why 3 more years before actually claiming it will be canned? What will happen in the next 2-3 years?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    edited May 2022

Out of ideas

Who gives a monkeys what civil servants think about government policy? It's what democratically elected politicians think that counts. The job of civil servants is to put government policy into action.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Daily Mail

A new government could not be worse than this shower. it will be cut from the backbenchers, no more save Boris sycophant’s dragging our country down.
    Prime Minister Rees-Mogg?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I'm sure everyone will have seen this from Andrew Marr but just in case they haven't or they doubt what a piece of shit we have for a Prime Minister watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLtO8i9MIU
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Out of ideas

Who gives a monkeys what civil servants think about government policy? It's what democratically elected politicians think that counts. The job of civil servants is to put government policy into action.
    Correct me if I'm wrong by all means, but I must have missed a return to Grammar Schools and Imperial measurement in the Conservative Party manifesto.

This shower are just making it up as they go along.

Grammar school policy will lose its lustre when ambitious RedWall social climbers find their offspring failing the 11 plus.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Hope that clears matters up.

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.
    Errr

What about the Mississippi - https://www.google.com/search?q=mississippi+river+basin&oq=Mississippi+River+basin&aqs=chrome.0.0i512l8.4127j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-rvo1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=oGsFqE3Qi5JigM
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Andy_JS said:

Out of ideas

Correct me if I'm wrong by all means, but I must have missed a return to Grammar Schools and Imperial measurement in the Conservative Party manifesto.

This shower are just making it up as they go along.

Grammar school policy will lose its lustre when ambitious RedWall social climbers find their offspring failing the 11 plus.
    Imperial measure thing has been promised since Brexit referendum. Its pointless and just fluff, but it isn't a new policy. For once it is actually Boris making good on a promise, well no as everything Boris, its still only to investigate if it worthwhile, which the answer will be no. If you google it, you will find it comes up basically every year.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    "No London shooting deaths in six months as police say gun trade stifled
    Met says drug gangs in capital finding it difficult to source and move around firearms"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade

[There haven't been any since 25th April when the article was published].
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Met says drug gangs in capital finding it difficult to source and move around firearms"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade

We did this the other day, encrochat hack was huge, it basically allowed the plod europe wide to see the players in the network and loads of the dealers in UK have been banged up.

Now while guns are not so.easy to get hold of, knife crime is rampant.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

The Wurzels DID NOT WIN Eurovision!
    All sorts of mad s*** seems to happen in Pagen's parallel universe. The Wurzels winning Eurovision would be one of the less surprising developments.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

We did this the other day, encrochat hack was huge, it basically allowed the plod europe wide to see the players in the network and loads of the dealers in UK have been banged up.

How can knife crime be tackled? Maybe stop and search is the only way.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

How can knife crime be tackled? Maybe stop and search is the only way.
    Well that's the $64 million dollar question. It is clear that there is a significant minority who aren't worried about the conquences of carrying some huge blades around and quick to use them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    Aren’t you the poster that holds up cashiers by paying in exact change
    wow paying money is a crime now.....only in lefty minds
    No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    What on Earth are you on about
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    You’re dangerously silly.

You said an advantage of imperial is that you can divide by three. Ever heard of a calculator?
    I said an advantage of L s d is easy to divide by three. I didnt mention imperial. They were two different conversations. L s d is easily divisible by 2 3 4 6 8, decimal currency is only easily divisible by 2 4,5 and 10
    Well yes, having three separate elements (pounds, shilling and pence) makes it easier to split by three. In fact, it makes it easier to divide by any number, because not only do have more divisors, you alsio have a higher degree of resolution - a pound is split into 240 old pence.

Nevertheless, in a world of computers operating on binary and decimal numbers, this ease for human calculations is a drawback for the machines. While you can find hexadecimal numbers (2^8), you will find none based around three powers, with varying units per power.

• Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

dixiedean said:

Bastards.
    The Big Pink is a rather small house down the very end of a twisting lane, inside a pine forest and halfway up a mountain.

Very evocative.

Luckily my wife shares my Dylan appreciation, though perhaps the same cannot be said for the children.
    My son just went to his first concert and we went to see Dylan. One for him to tell his grandkids about.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    Crime victims see delays rise and charges fall - BBC research
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61592910

Boris will repeat his election slogan of 10,000 more police and nothing will change.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm sure everyone will have seen this from Andrew Marr but just in case they haven't or they doubt what a piece of shit we have for a Prime Minister watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLtO8i9MIU

Is it just me, or do you all have the feeling Boris Johnson is running out of road?
This discussion has been closed.