Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited May 2022

Ministers are considering whether to overturn the ban on new grammar schools, despite opposition from civil servants, The Telegraph understands

Out of ideas

This is interesting because it amounts to something of a repudiation of academisation.

Also because it’s another bit of “red meat” to the over 60s (who are of course unaffected by grammar schools one way or another).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    ⚡️ Carrie Johnson faces grilling by MPs on ‘secret’ Boris birthday bash left out of Sue Gray report

https://twitter.com/i/events/1531012877129240582
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Hope that clears matters up.

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.
    At this point, the Nile is flowing north to south:
    19°14'06.4"N 32°41'59.7"E
    True dat. I know because I bin there.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Scott_xP said:

⚡️ Carrie Johnson faces grilling by MPs on ‘secret’ Boris birthday bash left out of Sue Gray report

She would probably prefer spit roasting
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    Aren’t you the poster that holds up cashiers by paying in exact change
    wow paying money is a crime now.....only in lefty minds
    No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    What on Earth are you on about
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    You’re dangerously silly.

You said an advantage of imperial is that you can divide by three. Ever heard of a calculator?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wit all the talk below of Liverpool non supporters I wonder who has the most un-fans (ie those that actively dislike a team) ?

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Man City (Always thought that back to the pitch chant was very rude and arrogant)
    Leeds

and the other side , without actually being a fan I like
    Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.
    Have an irrational soft spot for

QPR (is that widespread?)
    Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Chelsea (I believe that is widespread)
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

No apparent reasons. Just the way it is for me.
    It gives me a tiny joy when the former win and the latter lose.
    Wigan
    Man City
    Swansea

Dislikes (big teams excluded):

Stoke
    Derby
    Forest Green Rovers
    Hahahaha, how can ANYONE hate FGR? Is it because they're all green and progressive?
    They are the most self righteous club in the country, and it ain't even close.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    Calm down you massive bellend
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

You said an advantage of imperial is that you can divide by three. Ever heard of a calculator?
    I said an advantage of L s d is easy to divide by three. I didnt mention imperial. They were two different conversations. L s d is easily divisible by 2 3 4 6 8, decimal currency is only easily divisible by 2 4,5 and 10
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Someone tips you a shilling/5p. You have an equal tip splitting arrangement with 2 colleagues.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Someone tips you a shilling/5p. You have an equal tip splitting arrangement with 2 colleagues.
    Tight bastard.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632

Ministers are considering whether to overturn the ban on new grammar schools, despite opposition from civil servants, The Telegraph understands

Out of ideas

Lots more left: Hanging, banning abortion, banning homosexuality, rationing, conscription. There is loads more good stuff from the fifties we can do.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Wit all the talk below of Liverpool non supporters I wonder who has the most un-fans (ie those that actively dislike a team) ?

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Man City (Always thought that back to the pitch chant was very rude and arrogant)
    Leeds

and the other side , without actually being a fan I like
    Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.
    Have an irrational soft spot for

QPR (is that widespread?)
    Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Chelsea (I believe that is widespread)
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

No apparent reasons. Just the way it is for me.
    It gives me a tiny joy when the former win and the latter lose.
    Wigan
    Man City
    Swansea

Dislikes (big teams excluded):

Stoke
    Derby
    Forest Green Rovers
    Hahahaha, how can ANYONE hate FGR? Is it because they're all green and progressive?
    my mate dislikes them because he thinks they bought their way into the League . I have no opinion either way!
    I quite like Grimsby, who are the Conference play off next weekend. I have fond memories of playing them in The Championship about 20 years ago, with them singing " We only sing while we are fishing" while waving inflatable cod.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

I said an advantage of L s d is easy to divide by three. I didnt mention imperial. They were two different conversations. L s d is easily divisible by 2 3 4 6 8, decimal currency is only easily divisible by 2 4,5 and 10
    And what if you have seven people? This isn’t an advantage.

Again, there’s this thing called a calculator.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    LSD is not actually imperial which is where CHB is getting confused the two were separate conversation and yes in old LSD they would both get thruppence
  • Options
    TIL that people on the weirdo right HATE Forest Green Rovers and I think this is amazing.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    Isn't new grammar schools announcement the Tory equivalent of loft laggers of the world? They announce it seemingly every year for the past 5 years.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Out of ideas

Lots more left: Hanging, banning abortion, banning homosexuality, rationing, conscription. There is loads more good stuff from the fifties we can do.
    I am sure death penalty is next.

Honestly it’s just embarrassing, if you’re under the age of 90 these issues are totally irrelevant
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Sorry if someone claims I said something I haven't ever said I am a bellend because I point out they are lying?

Fuck off you scots twat
  • Options
    kjh said:

Out of ideas

I doubt even Boris would go down the hanging route, though he’s happy to appoint a sympathetic Home Sec for the shits and giggles.

Of your list, I could imagine conscription, or at least a form of voluntary national service.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    LSD is not actually imperial which is where CHB is getting confused the two were separate conversation and yes in old LSD they would both get thruppence
    4d surely? A shilling split 3 ways.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Sorry if someone claims I said something I haven't ever said I am a bellend because I point out they are lying?

Fuck off you scots twat
    Very touchy today. You really don’t like having your views questioned.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

"Name one example!"

"Here's an example"

"But that doesn't work in a totally different case!"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    kjh said:

Out of ideas

This administration now stinks of fin de siecle.

Just counting out the days until the end, desperately throwing crap in all directions hoping someone wants to buy crap.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Honestly it’s just embarrassing, if you’re under the age of 90 these issues are totally irrelevant
    Gentlemen’s wager says the death penalty will not be in any bill brought to parliament before the next election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    a 3 way split is I believe 4d yes sorry was thinking of a half shilling for some reason....mind went not focussed
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Isn't new grammar schools announcement the Tory equivalent of loft laggers of the world? They announce it seemingly every year for the pat 5 years.

No, that’s imperial measures.

Grammar schools were run up the flag by Theresa May because Nick Timothy (reliably wrong about everything) had a bee his bonnet about them.

The idea was killed by blue-on-blue criticism.

Boris might have another go, he might not.

We’ve reached a quantum state where there is no distinction between serious policy; policy designed to “own the libs”; and utter fabrications thrown out to client journalists every so often in the knowledge that the target voters are too senile to remember one day from the next.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    a 3 way split is I believe 4d yes sorry was thinking of a half shilling for some reason....mind went not focussed
    You are, indeed, not the full shilling.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

Fuck off you scots twat
    Very touchy today. You really don’t like having your views questioned.
    I didn't like being called names purely for politely asking you to show a post or admit I never said it. I hadn't got rude till called a bellend for defending myself
  • Options

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Gentlemen’s wager says the death penalty will not be in any bill brought to parliament before the next election.
    Not least cos it has Bob Hope of getting through the Commons.
    Nevertheless. Less consequential bollocks will continue to be disinterred.
  • Options

Out of ideas

This is interesting because it amounts to something of a repudiation of academisation.

Also because it’s another bit of “red meat” to the over 60s (who are of course unaffected by grammar schools one way or another).
    Not to the over 60s who went to a Secondary Modern having "failed".
  • Options

Isn't new grammar schools announcement the Tory equivalent of loft laggers of the world? They announce it seemingly every year for the pat 5 years.

Grammar schools were run up the flag by Theresa May because Nick Timothy (reliably wrong about everything) had a bee his bonnet about them.

We’ve reached a quantum state where there is no distinction between serious policy; policy designed to “own the libs”; and utter fabrications thrown out to client journalists every so often in the knowledge that the target voters are too senile to remember one day from the next.
    The total incoherence of it all is quite striking. Apart from being beastly to foreigners, what are the Conservatives for?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

"Name one example!"

"Here's an example"

"But that doesn't work in a totally different case!"
    Saying that three people is easier is as useless as saying decimal is better for five people.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently. Its a bit like saying we have a transport policy, its not to fine you if you do 71 mph between hours of midnight and 5am.

The Grammar schools (and I guess Free Schools before it) is a policy to do something, even if it isn't unlikely to happen in terms of Grammar schools.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    PB: where to go to find people REALLY ANGRY ABOUT IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently.
    Proves my point.
    It’s option (b) above.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    I wasnt there for some reason divided a half shilling between two rather than a full shilling between three...mea maxima culpa as boris would never say
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The total incoherence of it all is quite striking. Apart from being beastly to foreigners, what are the Conservatives for?
    Isn’t that enough? 😀
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    kjh said:

Out of ideas

Would need PM Patel or PM Rees Mogg for the first 2, nobody is proposing the 3rd, although Rees Mogg, Patel and Wallace did vote against gay marriage in 2013
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    You'd confused a threepenny bit with a groat. Easily done.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.
    Happy to report that it is perfect.
    Busy, yes, but justifiably so, and not unpleasantly so. I have never been anywhere so sparkly. The place shines. Now, the day was a good day for weather, but even so, even for Cornwall, this is beautiful. One of the highlights of Europe; and I'm mildly shocked that I've lived in the same country as it for 47 years without going there.
    We parked in Carbis Bay at our friends' house and walked three miles along the SW coastal path to get there, which is an even better approach than the train - it just gets better and better as you approach it.
    Day further improved by behaviour of my youngest, who had one of her sunniest ever days. May be the gentle attentions of friend's slightly older daughter. May be the ADHD meds kicking in. Will happily take it either way.
    Returned to Falmouth where it was overcast, then rainy - but happy to report that Falmouth in the rain is still a very pleasant place to be. Tea overlooking the superyachts and the Roseland peninsula behind.
    I still believe this is one of the best places within ten hours' travel of Manchester.

Fabulous. So glad you had a nice time with the kids

If the weather continues favourable maybe get the little ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes, where there are multiple walks, cafes, pubs, churches, castles, and beaches, and then get the tiny tiny ferry to Place from St Mawes. An adventure on an adventure

St Mawes has lots of eating options

The legend that inspired Blake’s poem Jerusalem is based on the myth that Jesus, as a boy, landed on a tiny cove near Place Manor, with his uncle the tin-trader Joseph of Arimathea. You will recognise the cove when you see it, and it sings with spirituality, under the tamarisks and the cedars
    I'm hoping to do that later in the week. I shall report back.
    Incidentally, on Joseph of Arimathea, I've just finished a book you may be interested in: Storyline, by Amy Jeffs, on the often-now-forgottem foundation myths of the British. Well written and thought-provoking.
    I will check it out! Ta

The weather looks set pretty fair in Cornwall. Mainly sunny, the odd shower. You should have a fine time
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

Fuck off you scots twat
    :lol: ok not a bellend then :lol:
  • Options

Out of ideas

Not to the over 60s who went to a Secondary Modern having "failed".
    The mean Tory voter these days, still angry after all these years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Would need PM Patel or PM Rees Mogg for the first 2, nobody is proposing the 3rd, although Rees Mogg, Patel and Wallace did vote against gay marriage in 2013
    Are you pro gay marriage?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Got to find her first surely

Rather good twitter joke: what young wife doesn't want to celebrate her wedding anniversary with a trip to the goldsmith?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    I wasnt there for some reason divided a half shilling between two rather than a full shilling between three...mea maxima culpa as boris would never say
    You’re an interesting poster in that you can make the case for pre-decimal currency, strongly approve of Brexit and the related immigration measures…but even you think Boris is a c**t.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    I am not angry about imperial measurements as have worked in both metric, imperial and all sorts of measurements and can convert easily. I do get angry about having things attributed to me I never said as I think we all do. I would get equally angry if someone accused me of saying that Bucks fizz was a really great pop group
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently.
    Proves my point.
    It’s option (b) above.
    No, because the analogy of loft laggers of the world was actually to do something but with unrealistic targets in terms of demand / jobs, it is just there is never the sort of demand that Brown would claim for all this extra loft insulation. Same as I don't think there is really the widespread depend for people setting up even more new Free Schools or Grammar Schools.

The Imperial thing is the equivalent of the council changes the rules on which plastics can go in your bin, its a total non-event (but people fall for it every time and get really excitable about it).
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    You’re an interesting poster in that you can make the case for pre-decimal currency, strongly approve of Brexit and the related immigration measures…but even you think Boris is a c**t.
    Are there many left who don’t think that?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Tight bastard.
    You are young, when we still had shillings that was good for 8 pints and a hand shandy, and your tram fare home
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Out of ideas

Will go down well with Boris' core vote.

48% of Tory voters and 42% of Leave voters want to build new grammar schools, with only 19% of Tories wanting to retain new grammars and not build any more and just 14% wanting to open them to all abilities and end selective education.

By contrast only 15% of Labour voters and 26% of LDs want to open new grammar schools

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection?crossBreak=conservative
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Personally I couldn't care less what units people want to use.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    I wasn't actually trying to make a case for pre decimal currency and certainly don't think we should return to it. I merely pointed out it had some plus points. Yes I approve of brexit because for a lot of people its delivering what they wanted which is wages are rising, yes mine included to declare an interest. I think all politicians are the c word you mentioned so not sure why that is a surprise
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    30%-ish, apparently.

On here you have a smattering of people who profess to want Boris gone but then leap to the defence of the great Helmsman whenever he is criticised.

BartyBobbins is now the chief example.

Special mention must be made of DavidL, who holds - to my mind - the very odd opinion that lying etc doesn’t matter for politician because everyone does it. The fact he is a lawyer is mind-boggling.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

48% of Tory voters want to build new grammar schools, with only 19% wanting to retain new grammars and not build any more and just 14% wanting to open them to all abilities and end selective education.

By contrast only 15% of Labour voters and 26% of LDs want to open new grammar schools

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection?crossBreak=conservative
    So not even a majority of Tory core voters? Thin gruel indeed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Me neither
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    In terms of take up, its going to be about the same as among Liverpool fans being offered a free weeks holiday to stay with the French Police in Saint Denis or a chance for a free ticket for Royal themed karaoke night at the Tory Party Conference.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

48% of Tory voters want to build new grammar schools, with only 19% wanting to retain new grammars and not build any more and just 14% wanting to open them to all abilities and end selective education.

You need more than a core vote to save your inheritance tax from labour
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

kjh said:

Out of ideas

If it keeps him where he wants to be, he will do absolutely anything. I doubt it will be in the next manifesto, but if needs must.

He is a man without shame.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

If Labour propose reversing Osborne's inheritance tax cut, they will be down to their core vote if that
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Are you pro gay marriage?
    I am not opposed in UK law though I would not impose it on churches and other places of worship unless the priests were in agreement
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.
    Busy, yes, but justifiably so, and not unpleasantly so. I have never been anywhere so sparkly. The place shines. Now, the day was a good day for weather, but even so, even for Cornwall, this is beautiful. One of the highlights of Europe; and I'm mildly shocked that I've lived in the same country as it for 47 years without going there.
    We parked in Carbis Bay at our friends' house and walked three miles along the SW coastal path to get there, which is an even better approach than the train - it just gets better and better as you approach it.
    Day further improved by behaviour of my youngest, who had one of her sunniest ever days. May be the gentle attentions of friend's slightly older daughter. May be the ADHD meds kicking in. Will happily take it either way.
    Returned to Falmouth where it was overcast, then rainy - but happy to report that Falmouth in the rain is still a very pleasant place to be. Tea overlooking the superyachts and the Roseland peninsula behind.
    I still believe this is one of the best places within ten hours' travel of Manchester.

If the weather continues favourable maybe get the little ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes, where there are multiple walks, cafes, pubs, churches, castles, and beaches, and then get the tiny tiny ferry to Place from St Mawes. An adventure on an adventure

The legend that inspired Blake’s poem Jerusalem is based on the myth that Jesus, as a boy, landed on a tiny cove near Place Manor, with his uncle the tin-trader Joseph of Arimathea. You will recognise the cove when you see it, and it sings with spirituality, under the tamarisks and the cedars
    Incidentally, on Joseph of Arimathea, I've just finished a book you may be interested in: Storyline, by Amy Jeffs, on the often-now-forgottem foundation myths of the British. Well written and thought-provoking.
    The soil was too poor to make Eden,
    Granite and sea left no choice
    Though visions of heaven sustained us,
    When John Wesley gave us a voice.
    Did Joseph once come to St Michael's Mount?
    Two thousand years pass in a dream
    When you're working your way in the darkness,
    Deep in the heart of the seam.

I do like Show of Hands
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

If Labour propose reversing Osborne's inheritance tax cut, they will be down to their core vote if that
    No they won't and actually a reduction in the amount from a million would be well supported
  • Options

The funniest thing of all, and it really is funnier than the funniest funny fuck in all of funny fuckdom, is that this constantly whirling random policy generator shit is "own"ing only the poor saps who come out each day to defend the "that thing". Reliably, minutes after they've finished debasing themselves on Today or on PB.com, Boris is out disowning that very thing. It's magnificent, in its own way, not least because they keep doing it. At some point you'd think they'd learn but no.
    A whole party of coprophagic preverts addicted to public humiliation. It's not politics; it's art.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

kjh said:

Out of ideas

If it keeps him where he wants to be, he will do absolutely anything. I doubt it will be in the next manifesto, but if needs must.

It's a wedge issue as lefty lawyers will obviously be against it.

But a bit confusing as those "traitors of the people", high court judges, will be the ones putting on the death caps.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Imperial measures and Forest Green Rovers was my 10000-1 double for what PB would get lairy about this evening.
    Kerching!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

No they won't and actually a reduction in the amount from a million would be well supported
    Wrong, 59% of UK voters think inheritance tax is unfair, just 22% think it is fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

I will check it out! Ta

The weather looks set pretty fair in Cornwall. Mainly sunny, the odd shower. You should have a fine time
    StoryLAND, I should have said. Autocorrect again. Which also wanted me to call her Amy Jeff's. Tut.
  • Options

kjh said:

Out of ideas

But a bit confusing as those "traitors of the people", high court judges, will be the ones putting on the death caps.
    It will never get as far as an actual bill, just endlessly trailed. Like the imperial thing.
  • Options

kjh said:

Out of ideas

I simply believe the idea of bringing back hanging is medieval and wrong
  • Options

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Bringing back the stocks for politicians might be popular
  • Options

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Completely right
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    30%-ish, apparently.

On here you have a smattering of people who profess to want Boris gone but then leap to the defence of the great Helmsman whenever he is criticised.

BartyBobbins is now the chief example.

Special mention must be made of DavidL, who holds - to my mind - the very odd opinion that lying etc doesn’t matter for politician because everyone does it. The fact he is a lawyer is mind-boggling.
    It's possible to believe that Boris is a sub-optimal PM and also that there is a lot of criticism of him - that he is a literal fascist, that he is as bad as Corbyn, that every single thing he's done has been uniquely terrible - is a tad overblown and merits deconstructing.
    I voted Boris because I didn't want Corbyn. I wasn't expecting him to be a great PM. Some of what he has done has surprised on the upside, some has surprised on the downside. I don't relish defending him, and there is plenty to criticise him for. But I don't think it's reasonable to attack people for refusing to join in with some of the more egregious critcisms.
    Sure I understand that.

For example, his grumpy aside to whatsername at the press conference was just an absolute nothing, in my opinion.

I called out Barty and DavidL specifically for the reasons cited.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

You’re the equivalent of a Karen
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Me neither
    The supermarkets are not going to waste their time repacking everything to add ounces to the measurements.

It is more utter bollx from an increasingly panicky and desperate Downing Street operation.

Next announcement: bring back black and white TV.
  • Options
    Nancy Pelosi’s husband has been arrested on a DUI charge.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson and wife Carrie hold private christening for daughter Romy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10866149/Boris-Johnson-wife-Carrie-hold-private-christening-daughter-Romy.html

Is that because he is billy no-mates?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    kjh said:

Out of ideas

More BOBBIES on the BEAT. So the nippers are kept on the straight and narrow and you can always find out what time it is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

Wrong, 59% of UK voters think inheritance tax is unfair, just 22% think it is fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair
    You post a poll from 2015 in support of your argument

If Labour win power a wealth tax and an IHT allowance cut are the first things in Rachel Reeves budget
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

More BOBBIES on the BEAT. So the nippers are kept on the straight and narrow and you can always find out what time it is.
    TBH, I fully expect Labour to go big on something like this at the next GE. Promise to tackle crime is always a vote winner and although the evidence for bobbies on the beat doesn't stack up against smarter policing, the public like to here there will be more.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Dixon of Dock Green to be back on our TVs every evening in between the all-important Two Minutes of Hate sessions.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

The funniest thing of all, and it really is funnier than the funniest funny fuck in all of funny fuckdom, is that this constantly whirling random policy generator shit is "own"ing only the poor saps who come out each day to defend the "that thing". Reliably, minutes after they've finished debasing themselves on Today or on PB.com, Boris is out disowning that very thing. It's magnificent, in its own way, not least because they keep doing it. At some point you'd think they'd learn but no.
    A whole party of coprophagic preverts addicted to public humiliation. It's not politics; it's art.
    I don’t find it funny.

Also, I am now quite removed from all the nonsense as it no longer impacts on me personally.

I find it v interesting though, like an absorbing academic study. Theres a delightful kremlinology to watching the Boris circus at work.

For example, why is Christopher Chope everywhere all of a sudden? Is it because Boris has simply run out of non-bonkers / non-repellant MPs to run defence?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Wow...really I am a karen for believing pretty much ever politician we have elected in the last 30 years or so is sub standard? Even though they have proved my point over and over again? I suspect anyone proposing we reenacted bringing back the stocks for politicians shown to have taken the absolute piss such as in the expenses scandal would get wide support.
  • Options
    Labour is the party of law and order
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    Me neither
    The supermarkets are not going to waste their time repacking everything to add ounces to the measurements.

It is more utter bollx from an increasingly panicky and desperate Downing Street operation.

Next announcement: bring back black and white TV.
    Of course not but if some businesses want to use imperial I just do not see it as a big issue
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

It was just a joke, I don't expect any of these things, although the imperial thing is nonsense. I note we celebrate the fact that we can now have a blue passport and the crown on our pint glasses now. Only problem is they provide no benefit whatsoever and we could do that without leaving anyway. However many changes have a measurable impact on our lives.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

Wow...really I am a karen for believing pretty much ever politician we have elected in the last 30 years or so is sub standard? Even though they have proved my point over and over again? I suspect anyone proposing we reenacted bringing back the stocks for politicians shown to have taken the absolute piss such as in the expenses scandal would get wide support.
    Yes you’re definitely a Karen
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

If Labour win power a wealth tax and an IHT allowance cut are the first things in Rachel Reeves budget
    Yes and there has been little change since, even this month Yougov found 47% think inheritance tax unfair, just 21% fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/how-fair-is-inheritance-tax.

If Rachel Reeves became chancellor after a Labour win and pushed through an inheritance tax rise it would be a one term government and thrown out at the next election
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

I don't really count the imperial measures thing as it isn't even a policy to do anything. Its to just remove fining people if they for whatever weird reason they want sell stuff without displaying metric equivalent prominently. Its a bit like saying we have a transport policy, its not to fine you if you do 71 mph between hours of midnight and 5am.

The Grammar schools (and I guess Free Schools before it) is a policy to do something, even if it isn't unlikely to happen in terms of Grammar schools.
    I thought that had already been removed. Clearly not.

I was pretty angry about the introduction of fining people for selling in Imperial. I don't care what units people use, and I certainly don't think the state should be criminalising Imperial. I prefer imperial for the purposes of speaking - in the butcher I will ask for a pound of mince, rather than half a kilo - but I don't mind if Tesco choose to package their mince in metric.

Grammar schools are more complicated, and I have numerous conflicting opinions abou grammar schools. I think anyone who doesn't have numerous conflincting opinions about grammar schools probably hasn't thought about it enough.
  • Options

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10866149/Boris-Johnson-wife-Carrie-hold-private-christening-daughter-Romy.html

No - he is over compensating covid rules to be on the safe side !!!!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312

Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Out of ideas

The tribe from Burma?
  • Options

Forgive me but what is DUI
  • Options

Boris and Carrie are both proven liars, so the funny thing is that there’s no way of knowing whether this even took place.
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476
    https://resultados.registraduria.gov.co/presidente/0/colombia
    Here is a live link for the results of the Colombian election today
  • Options

Assume driving under the influence?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

It is quite normal to have small christenings, often it is just parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents if still alive, aunts and uncles and godparents
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Out of ideas

Yes and there has been little change since, even this month Yougov found 47% think inheritance tax unfair, just 21% fair

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/how-fair-is-inheritance-tax.

If Rachel Reeves became chancellor after a Labour win and pushed through an inheritance tax rise it would be a one term government and thrown out at the next election
    Not with Boris running the conservatives party
  • Options

Driving under influence?
  • Options

Driving under the influence.
    You don’t watch enough US cop shows!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example

16 is not divisible by 3 ...
This discussion has been closed.