Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even the oldies are now giving Johnson negative ratings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Has anyone else tried contacting HMRC recently?
    Tried three times today. Simply say they are too busy. Goodbye.
    Not even the joy of an hour on hold
    They've deducted me money for a tax credit overpayment completely without warning.

They’re all working from fucking home. We tried to tell you. It’s shit
    You don't need to be sitting in an office to answer a phone.
    That's just an excuse.
    But this is why this shit is happening. It is a disaster for the British economy, if it continues

As an international flintic dildo maker and salesman, I can say it is clearly impacting my industry (seriously). The people that are back in the office are On their Game, they respond quickly, they do their job. The people who are WFH reply much slower, they are less alert in general, and less aware of industry news and gossip, and they are hard to hear on phone calls (“Oh sorry that’s my husband slapping the dog” - GO BACK TO THE FUCKING OFFICE THEN)

I reckon we are about to discover there is a reason we have big cities and complex offices, and the cities and offices that function properly will entirely out-compete the people sitting in their stupid gardens. This is not an invention of the Tory party because of its commercial property owning donors
    Can't speak for other people's workplaces, but at my work the people on calls who have the most background noise are the ones in the office.
    One wonders about the background noise at lunchtime with the moggies, when Leon was phoning the office.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

They've deducted me money for a tax credit overpayment completely without warning.

That's just an excuse.
    But this is why this shit is happening. It is a disaster for the British economy, if it continues

As an international flintic dildo maker and salesman, I can say it is clearly impacting my industry (seriously). The people that are back in the office are On their Game, they respond quickly, they do their job. The people who are WFH reply much slower, they are less alert in general, and less aware of industry news and gossip, and they are hard to hear on phone calls (“Oh sorry that’s my husband slapping the dog” - GO BACK TO THE FUCKING OFFICE THEN)

I reckon we are about to discover there is a reason we have big cities and complex offices, and the cities and offices that function properly will entirely out-compete the people sitting in their stupid gardens. This is not an invention of the Tory party because of its commercial property owning donors
    I moderately agree with this.

Some sectors are coping well with WFH,
    Others, not. Customer service generally is down, not just in the public sector.
    Question is how much of that is down to WFH, and how much of that is becuase customer service has been skimped on for a couple of decades. Much cheaper (sorry, more efficient) to put a chatbot on a website.
    Maybe it is not WFH, but there are still large private organisations blaming Covid for diminished customer service coverage.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Plan 2 Student loan interest rate hits 14%
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,981

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Labour can’t win if voters think they will rely on the SNP.

Keir needs to go all out on them.

There is a problem here as things stand. If the Tories carry on committing suicide then SKS anti SNP stance may be possible. But assuming some sort of normal can break out in government, Labour will not be able to get to a majority without counting in the SNP in some form. They simply hold too many seats.

SKS may need us to believe something that he in fact does not. So we might not either.

Yes, it’s a problem or a paradox.

This is why I advocate a very public anti-SNP approach from Labour from now until the next election.

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    That only applies in Scotland. Where Labour is pretty crap at present in MP terms. One almost Tory MP in Morningside of all places. And Labour victories over SNP do nothing to reduce the Tory majority. Plus at the same time, Slab is pretending not to ally with Tories but is doing so all over the country?
    I don’t know why Labour are allying with the Tories in Scotland. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.
    My enemy’s enemy …
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That's just an excuse.

Can't speak for other people's workplaces, but at my work the people on calls who have the most background noise are the ones in the office.
    My secretary gets people complaining of her "working from home" on her answerphone*, unless she picks up immediately. She hasn't worked at home at all, it has just become the default assumption when a slow response is perceived.

*including messages left at 10 0clock at night, and even once on Boxing Day!
  • Options
    ping said:

Tories = gangsters, with vigorish going up, as I pointed out earlier.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    ping said:

Criminal. Stop this with an announcement this week so people can avoid the associated stress.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    ping said:

Set once per year in September based on the RPI the previous March. So it won't get that high.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

There is a problem here as things stand. If the Tories carry on committing suicide then SKS anti SNP stance may be possible. But assuming some sort of normal can break out in government, Labour will not be able to get to a majority without counting in the SNP in some form. They simply hold too many seats.

SKS may need us to believe something that he in fact does not. So we might not either.

This is why I advocate a very public anti-SNP approach from Labour from now until the next election.

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It's not credible, though. The idea that the SNP would favour the Tories over Labour?
    It is credible.

If Scotland still voted Labour, Keir’s mountain-to-climb would be more a gentle foot-hill.

SNP/Labour waverers are critical to the next election (one of five key profiles who are).
    SNP MPs are just as reliable supporters of SKS over Boris as PM as Labour MPs are.
    You (and other posters) are confusing separate issues.

To win, SKS needs to convince English voters that he will not be beholden to the SNP.

Therefore, he must campaign hard against the SNP, even if - within the Scottish context - it has minor electoral pay-off.

Anyway, he would be right to do so, as every Labour win against the SNP makes a Labour led government more likely because it *increases the Labour tally relatively* against the Tory tally.
    He needs the unionists in Scotland to flock to him.
    If he takes votes directly off the SNP then a standing still Scot Tory party would benefit before SLab start to - potentially in the 3 Ayrshire seats, Stirling etc.
    The Scottish Tories would probably settle for third in the popular vote (on say 20%) if the SNP decline into the 30s as they can come through the middle in a handful of seats
    I was going to raise that - but you have done it. Trying to win against the SNP is dangerously counterproductive in the big picture at Westminster.

There is also a furhter issue: whether Slab actually pay any attention to SKS. He rather blotted his copybook, ISTR, by attacking the tories on one of his first major speeches in Scotland, rather than the SNP. Cue lots of hurt Tories and unhappy Slab.
    Tories best hope of progress is, ironically, partial labour recovery.
    I think Lab and Con nationally in the UK still don't 'get' Scotland
    OTOH that assumes all the switching is SNP to Lab. It could also mean less Unionist tactical voting for Tories, is Lab back to Lab, so it is complex.
    Yes indeed, I'd agree. Although I think that danger is greater for Scot Tories at the Holyrood after the GE once unionists 'see' the recovery and some jump back on the older tribal lines.
    It could allow for some very odd results in the next couple of election cycles if the total dominance breaks down.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    That only applies in Scotland. Where Labour is pretty crap at present in MP terms. One almost Tory MP in Morningside of all places. And Labour victories over SNP do nothing to reduce the Tory majority. Plus at the same time, Slab is pretending not to ally with Tories but is doing so all over the country?
    I don’t know why Labour are allying with the Tories in Scotland. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.
    Nothing wrong with that. Parties should be willing to work together. There's no reason Labour and the Conservatives always have to be on opposite sides of everything.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    Nothing wrong with that. Parties should be willing to work together. There's no reason Labour and the Conservatives always have to be on opposite sides of everything.
    That would make more sense (and it does generally) if, in this particular case, Mr Sarwar hadn't gone on and on about not cooperating with any other party. And they won't cooperate with the SNP, as if Slab isn;t a social democratic party any more.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Elon Musk says that "Yale is the epicenter of the woke mind virus attempting to destroy civilization".

@elonmusk - Political attacks on me will escalate dramatically in coming months

@thehowie - When you are explicitly political, you should expect people to treat you as such. Which part of that is confusing to you?

@elonmusk - I’m not surprised at all. That was to inoculate the public. As a prominent vaccine advocate, you should understand that.

Yale is the epicenter of the woke mind virus attempting to destroy civilization.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526975113597489154
  • Options
    The mail have a picture of SKS holding a football shirt in Korma central. Dan thinks it's a bang to rights zinger. It really isn't.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    Scott_xP said:

EXC UK must accept border on Irish Sea is inevitable, says ex-WTO chief Pascal Lamy in interview with the Guardian. But dispute can be solved if Boris Johnson stops mixing “oil and vinegar issues”. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/18/uk-has-to-accept-border-irish-sea-inevitable-ex-wto-chief-pascal-lamy-brexit-boris-johnson?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

As ever the biggest single obstacle to resolving the problems in Ireland caused by BoZo is the continued presence of BoZo...

Guardian forgets to mention that Lamy is also a French politician and a former EU Trade Commissioner :smile:

WTF did they expect him to say?

No one (except the TUV / DUP) are trying to create no border in the Irish Sea; it's about a regime that works effectively.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …
    Sort of on subject, how many million Union Jacks have Rangers fans taken to Seville?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

Elon Musk says that "Yale is the epicenter of the woke mind virus attempting to destroy civilization".

@thehowie - When you are explicitly political, you should expect people to treat you as such. Which part of that is confusing to you?

@elonmusk - I’m not surprised at all. That was to inoculate the public. As a prominent vaccine advocate, you should understand that.

Yale is the epicenter of the woke mind virus attempting to destroy civilization.

Elon Musk is a sh*t who is nowhere near as intelligent as he, or his fans, make out.

Discuss. ;)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Martin Reynolds being lined up for Ambassador to Saudi Arabia

I assume this is the same Martin Reynolds who was involved in partygate

So the only careers ruined by lockdown misbehaviour will be Starmer, Rayner and Stratton.

It's nice that there are no repercussions for Mr Johnson and his coterie.
  • Options

So the only careers ruined by lockdown misbehaviour will be Starmer, Rayner and Stratton.

What did Stratton do wrong?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    That would make more sense (and it does generally) if, in this particular case, Mr Sarwar hadn't gone on and on about not cooperating with any other party. And they won't cooperate with the SNP, as if Slab isn;t a social democratic party any more.
    Was Slab ever a social democratic party? Antisocial and undemocratic in my experience.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It's not credible, though. The idea that the SNP would favour the Tories over Labour?
    It is credible.

If Scotland still voted Labour, Keir’s mountain-to-climb would be more a gentle foot-hill.

SNP/Labour waverers are critical to the next election (one of five key profiles who are).
    SNP MPs are just as reliable supporters of SKS over Boris as PM as Labour MPs are.

To win, SKS needs to convince English voters that he will not be beholden to the SNP.

Therefore, he must campaign hard against the SNP, even if - within the Scottish context - it has minor electoral pay-off.

Anyway, he would be right to do so, as every Labour win against the SNP makes a Labour led government more likely because it *increases the Labour tally relatively* against the Tory tally.
    If he takes votes directly off the SNP then a standing still Scot Tory party would benefit before SLab start to - potentially in the 3 Ayrshire seats, Stirling etc.
    The Scottish Tories would probably settle for third in the popular vote (on say 20%) if the SNP decline into the 30s as they can come through the middle in a handful of seats
    Fat chance , more likely Boris will tell the truth
  • Options

Elon is on a journey.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Lolz, indeed. The Tories will take back Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock though. It is so written!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

She laughed.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …
    Sort of on subject, how many million Union Jacks have Rangers fans taken to Seville?
    Not all of their Union Jacks. They will have kept a few million at home for Orange Walks.
  • Options

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That's just an excuse.
    The irony is that a call centre can actually fit really well with both WFH and flexible hours.

BUT, and it’s a big but, it needs the organisation to be structured differently to an in-person call centre, with processes to match. You need a larger group of both L2 technical agents and supervisors, and the managers need to take a different view of their metrics which requires modern phone and IT systems.

I get the impression that much of the public sector and quasi-public sector simply went home in March 2020, plugged their desk phone into a router, used their own laptop to connect to a VPN and a Citrix window, but the organisations never specifically set themselves up for WFH.

A call centre is also a training-heavy environment, and training / teambuilding exercises are best done in person to maintain consistency.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Is that a medical opinion?
  • Options

Elon is on a journey.
    In that case I hope the Tesla is fully charged and there are plenty of charging pointe en-route.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Former British Diplomat @alexhallhall has now named current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss as the minister responsible for these remarks. https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1453091619213824007

Good for her if so. 👍
    You approve of the comments?
    That a so-called "No Deal" Brexit impact is ridiculously exaggerated? Yes 100% I do.

The UK is never going to impose a hard border in Northern Ireland. Ireland is never going to impose a hard border. The rest of the drama is bluffing and greatly exaggerated hysteria, if someone is willing to call that out then I 100% endorse that.
    Gosh, that was a big delay. I was asking whether you approved of what I saw as being pretty offensive to Irish people and what amounts to the use of the "thick Irish turnip farmer" trope. Of course you approve.
    I must say that sort of anti-Irishism would be jarring in a golf club bar, let alone emitted by the ForM in the US of all places. That is not going to make friends and influence people, which I thought naively comprised part of her job ...
    If there is footage of it she resigns.

Maybe Big Dogs whips have got the footage, and this story is a gentle reminder 😆
    Tory and resign are an oxymoron , far more despicable things done with never a sign of resigning, you have to be kidding
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Farooq said:

She was a woman and so expendible.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That's just an excuse.

Question is how much of that is down to WFH, and how much of that is becuase customer service has been skimped on for a couple of decades. Much cheaper (sorry, more efficient) to put a chatbot on a website.
    Maybe it is not WFH, but there are still large private organisations blaming Covid for diminished customer service coverage.
    That's true.

De Longhi are running a long message on their customer service line.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Well, he's not wrong that Yale is stuffed full of radical leftists. That's not even news.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Is that a medical opinion?
    No, a satirical one using non-woke language!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Well, he's not wrong that Yale is stuffed full of radical leftists. That's not even news.
    Which are the right-wing universities?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Where indeed are they. That's the question.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    Because politics is not one thing. Several games are being played on the same pitch. In the UK unionist cricket, Tories and Labour form one team. In the centre left lacrosse, played on the same pitch, Labour and SNP form one team.

Brexit involves such complications of this that the ice hockey players got tangled up with the croquet and the rule book has been lost.

Enjoy the spectacle and be glad you don't live in North Korea.

Amusingly put. I like the analogy several games on the same pitch. At the same time no doubt.

I don't understand the pretence that opponents in many things might agree on a broad principle, in this case unionism.

After all, our whole system of loyal opposition is predicated on the basis that even the deepest of disagreements still lie within the bounds of accepted parameters.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    It wasn't rhetorical. You seem to have an idea that Yale is particularly left-wing, so I was assuming you had something of a mental map of universities and ideology.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That's just an excuse.

Surely WFH is a boon for dildo makers of all kinds? It's not the kind of thing you would whip out in the office but could prove invaluable in spicing up an otherwise boring Zoom call.
    I spent the day WFH in my garden, extremely efficiently, but am now out in Soho and can officially report that it is absolutely heaving.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Yes, at all times and all places it seems that right wing pundits have attacked universities for being left wing. There must be something about education in general and higher education in particular that they hate.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Lolz, indeed. The Tories will take back Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock though. It is so written!
    Why would anyone in that area want Tories back in , I can see part of Ayr/Doonfoot given the cash is all concentrated there but given the state of the rest it would be only the mentally deranged that would want Tories in.
    If so Scotland really is F***ed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289

Are you saying Starmer and Rayner will a receive a FPN ?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    There are loads in the US. Eg Liberty University, which used to discourage interracial dating IIRC.
  • Options

A good column on how the British political and media culture neglects business:

The British public is in danger of being crushed under an avalanche of political gossip. The faces of big-name pundits — most prominently Andrew Marr and Piers Morgan — stare out from the sides of buses. A dozen national newspapers splash the latest revelations about “party-gate” or “curry-gate” on their front pages as if they are matters of war and peace. The BBC’s quest for a new political editor became a news story in its own right when the corporation took the controversial step of appointing a man, Chris Mason, to the job.

If good political coverage is the life blood of good government, political gossip is a blood cancer. It blows up minor stories into all-consuming events. How can we have time to think about things that matter — like China’s evolving relationship with Russia — when we are bombarded with news about Keir Starmer’s chicken korma? It creates a debilitating sense of crisis as one breaking story gobbles up another. And it puffs up journalists’ egos as they regurgitate the latest so-called revelation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-05-17/the-british-disdain-for-business-will-affect-the-uk-s-place-in-the-world

That’s a very good piece, and echoes a lot of what we have been saying here. Politics and journalism needs a good kick up the arse, if we didn’t learn that during the pandemic.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    It wasn't rhetorical. You seem to have an idea that Yale is particularly left-wing, so I was assuming you had something of a mental map of universities and ideology.
    No, I think all universities are stuffed full of radical leftists. They have been for decades.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Yes, at all times and all places it seems that right wing pundits have attacked universities for being left wing. There must be something about education in general and higher education in particular that they hate.
    It's not just education. There are apparent hotbeds of leftiness everywhere.

My take is that when people complain about lefties being everywhere they are probably just quite right wing. And, of course, the other way around. I don't think I'm the only one who finds such statements more revealing about the accuser than the accused.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Looking at the headlines, the extent to which the government has lost control of the economy and political agenda is striking
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    No, I think all universities are stuffed full of radical leftists. They have been for decades.
    So what do right-wingers do with their time?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Including USA on these charts really blows out the scaling

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1526913464790286341/photo/1
    Does not include more general aid

And the American stuff is just starting to come through now, with Ukranians training on it. They have pretty much unlimited supplies, so long as Ukraine still has an army willing to fight.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,604
    Embarrassing for Twitter.

"An audit of ex-President Donald Trump's archived presidential account, @POTUS45, shows that 42.4 percent of his followers are fake
    Almost half of President Biden's Twitter followers are fake, audit reveals as Elon Musk puts deal to buy Big Tech giant on hold over bots
    Just over 49% of Twitter followers of the official @POTUS account are fake
    The same analysis found that more than 14 million accounts who follow Biden's personal @JoeBiden handle are also either fake or insufficiently active
    It comes as Elon Musk took shots at Biden and Twitter at a Miami conference
    The Tesla billionaire accused Twitter's CEO of lying about the company's claim that less than 5% of its more than 200 million accounts are fake"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10829675/Almost-half-President-Bidens-Twitter-followers-FAKE-audit-reveals.html
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,563
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    William F Buckley began his career by writing "God and Man at Yale" which was amazingly influential and a foundation for pre-modern anti-wokery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_and_Man_at_Yale

Crap then and still crap. Clearly had a tremondous influence on Justice Alito

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/05/18/samuel-alito-angry-man-00033207
  • Options
    Looks like another MP under investigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61493206
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    No I think it's just that youngsters tend to be more radical and university lecturers tend to the leftwards politically. Right wing thought tends to come from elsewhere. Those with leftward views will be positive about some of the stuff that comes out of unis, those more small c conservative find it too radical and are (in my case as an example) put off by the attachment of some weird and unearned sense of moral superiority to leftist social views.
    I find the further left social policy is the more morally repugnant I find it. Economics is different. All directions bear some fruit
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Work in the productive sector of the economy, generating wealth.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

Completely off topic but a bit shaken up, just got back from dropping my wife off at the hospital. She seems to be OK but thought it best to get her in to be checked up. When she was crossing the road this morning to go into work she was hit by a car in a hit and run accident. They pulled out from a car park as she was already crossing the road, drove on the wrong side of the road, hit her and then swerved and sped off. She was knocked over.

A member of the public who witnessed the accident stopped to check she was OK. They got a partial reg-plate so hopefully the Police can identify whoever it was that did it.

She seems to be OK but in shock. At first she didn't even tell people at work she'd been hit by a car and continued working for a few hours before asking her manager if she could go home as she was in pain from the accident. She didn't want to go to A&E but is there now just in case she needs an x-ray or anything. Fingers crossed she's OK but utterly despicable anyone who hits a pedestrian and then just speeds off in response.

Gosh how awful! Hope she's OK and the police find the culprits.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Trump University?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Looking at the headlines, the extent to which the government has lost control of the economy and political agenda is striking

You would think so but why are labour not way ahead in the polls or is it a distrust in their solutions to the economic woes
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

That's just an excuse.

Seems (indirectly or otherwise) to be Scotrail's excuse for their insanely shite new timetable.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …
    Not all of their Union Jacks. They will have kept a few million at home for Orange Walks.
    So which posters are rooting for Rangers tonight? And which rooting for the German side? Are you suspecting the majority of PBers cheering for Rangers, actually have English accents?

Since I was named Minister of Sport in PrImeminister TSE first PB cabinet, I’ve been taking my brief at least as seriously as Nadine Doris, my opposite number in government.

So Rangers Protestant, Celtic Catholic? Any type of Protestant including CoE, or a particular denomination? And then the Union Jacks - so typical Rangers fan so solid unionist does not vote SNP?

It’s like painting a picture of the Balkan’s 🫢
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Do you not think that universities contribute to growth and innovation?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    When left-right political debate was dominated more by economic questions you tended to find more of a balance of views among educated opinion. Since it's become much more about culture (for reasons I don't really understand) it's become much more one-sided, because the kind of people who want to pursue higher education tend to be liberal on social and cultural issues, for reasons which are relatively easy to understand (being open minded, curious, thinking in abstract terms etc). It doesn't help that the cultural right have embraced philistinism so enthusiastically, or that the cultural left have become more snobbish.
    Of course you get very intelligent and highly educated cultural and social conservatives, but the balance clearly goes the other way.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Ha ha plenty of left wingers do that too. I even pay my taxes here.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Why would anyone in that area want Tories back in , I can see part of Ayr/Doonfoot given the cash is all concentrated there but given the state of the rest it would be only the mentally deranged that would want Tories in.
    Because I think the Tories will hold their share, labour will make some(very limited) inroads into the SNP and the SNP will struggle with turnout next time. It's only a 2.5% swing, and I can see the ferry issue impacting Ayrshire generally as well as any failure to get a new referendum punished by turnout differential.
    That's why I think it's a potential gain.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Do you not think that universities contribute to growth and innovation?
    In STEM subjects, absolutely.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …
    So which posters are rooting for Rangers tonight? And which rooting for the German side? Are you suspecting the majority of PBers cheering for Rangers, actually have English accents?

Since I was named Minister of Sport in PrImeminister TSE first PB cabinet, I’ve been taking my brief at least as seriously as Nadine Doris, my opposite number in government.

So Rangers Protestant, Celtic Catholic? Any type of Protestant including CoE, or a particular denomination? And then the Union Jacks - so typical Rangers fan so solid unionist does not vote SNP?

Rangers == Celtic == Scotland's shame.
    Two dreadful sets of fans. Any time I plan a trip to Glasgow I always check the fixtures so I can avoid bumping into groups of pissed-up tossers.
    You can count me squarely in the Frankfurt camp tonight.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …

I'll support anyone playing Rangers.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

You would think so but why are labour not way ahead in the polls or is it a distrust in their solutions to the economic woes
    Polls historically lag this sort of change.
  • Options

LOL, G you cannot persuade anyone that that is in any way even remotely as a bad as a Tory, they are real criminals, the guy had a couple of Nurofen in his pocket.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Also, don't people turn heavily towards the right wing when they get to about retirement age?
    Latest YouGov tabs have Con-Lab:
    18-24: 12-52
    25-49: 11-47
    50-64: 35-36
    65+: 52-23

So I reckon the answer to my own question, what do right-wingers do with their time, is "jigsaws".
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,563

Elon Musk is a sh*t who is nowhere near as intelligent as he, or his fans, make out.

Discuss. ;)
    Same with Bill Gates. Who is these days persona non grata in Seattle.

We REALLY like the fact that Melinda stuck it him - but good. Indeed, carved him a new one.
  • Options

I believe so.

Dan Hodges is convinced, and he has more details to hand than the rest of us.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …

Two dreadful sets of fans. Any time I plan a trip to Glasgow I always check the fixtures so I can avoid bumping into groups of pissed-up tossers.
    I support the Scottish team as any sensible Scot would.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL, G you cannot persuade anyone that that is in any way even remotely as a bad as a Tory, they are real criminals, the guy had a couple of Nurofen in his pocket.
    Agree with you here Malc, this is a squirrel story and actually makes the allegations against 'whomever' starkly worse looking
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    As far as I can tell, Musk's plan for Twitter is genuinely:

1. Free speech
    2. ?
    3. Profit
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …

I support the Scottish team as any sensible Scot would.
    Nobody ever accused me of being sensible though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Jonathan said:

The lead grows, the Tories start sinking, in about two weeks from now. Ask that same question start of July.

That’s my analysis of media narrative to polling through two week delay.

Before then, monthly kantor can bring blip of promising news for the Tories “first PB rule: the polling firm you like best is the one which likes you”

Plus of course with pollsters with greens on 8 and Libdems on 12, it’s like running with a third party on 20, hence tough going for the “way ahead” polling. The Tories could dip into low 30’s and Labour lift a little into early 40s for more double digit leads this summer is my prediction.

There other ways of assessing it, besides Tory to Labour gap, doesn’t look big whilst third party on twenty, there’s satisfaction ratings, trusted on the economy, HY’s favourite “best prime minister”
  • Options
    edited May 2022

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Because I think the Tories will hold their share, labour will make some(very limited) inroads into the SNP and the SNP will struggle with turnout next time. It's only a 2.5% swing, and I can see the ferry issue impacting Ayrshire generally as well as any failure to get a new referendum punished by turnout differential.
    Still amazes me it is even close but anything is possible here just now, it is going to the dogs and Tories and Labour are just cheeks of the same arse.
    PS: same London arse
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!
    Also, don't people turn heavily towards the right wing when they get to about retirement age?

So I reckon the answer to my own question, what do right-wingers do with their time, is "jigsaws".
    ....and watch countdown and watch Michael Parkinson's adverts about over 50s life insurance.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801

The mail have a picture of SKS holding a football shirt in Korma central. Dan thinks it's a bang to rights zinger. It really isn't.

Hodges is becoming unhinged and needs to seek help. Starmer holding a football shirt is hardly partying , what next Starmer used the bog and wasn’t working for a few minutes !

And the message posted with the pic goes onto say we interrupted Starmer who was hard at work on Friday night .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209

I believe so.

Dan Hodges is convinced, and he has more details to hand than the rest of us.
    Is he? In thought he was more of a 'there's questions here to be answered' rather than 'he's a wrong 'un and the police will throw away the key'?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …

That is unadultered pish that only a Little Englander could come out with. Get an education.
  • Options

Another partisan straw.

Unless I am very much mistaken, and from what I have read BBC Wales are being somewhat optimistic in hoping for a 2 year sentence if proven, I would have thought a caution more likely.

However, if the allegation is the Commissioner has been involved in a cover up, that should be what the Conservatives push for.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Still amazes me it is even close but anything is possible here just now, it is going to the dogs and Tories and Labour are just cheeks of the same arse.
    You've still got a pretty good lock on seats Malcolm, but complete dominance can't go on forever, that unity in the Nat community like any other has to crack at times.
    I don't see drastic gains next time, a few possible for each of the arse cheeks but you'll be well ahead regardless. Somewhere between 2017 and 2019 is my guess.
    And, tbf, little of what the Scot Tories hold is guaranteed 'hold', they might even just churn 2 or 3 seats
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I am not judging degrees of misdemeanour but it is another investigation

However, I would just say that benzodiazepines destroyed my eldest's mental health until he was weaned off after 2 years of prescription in Canada to treat his PTSD and is only now slowly making a recovery

They are nowhere near being comparable to nurofen
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Agree with you here Malc, this is a squirrel story and actually makes the allegations against 'whomever' starkly worse looking
    Tories are pathetic
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Hodges is becoming unhinged and needs to seek help. Starmer holding a football shirt is hardly partying , what next Starmer used the bog and wasn’t working for a few minutes !

And the message posted with the pic goes onto say we interrupted Starmer who was hard at work on Friday night .
    Was it a Friday night! I didn’t know that. THAT changes everything. Mon to thur night, before the big vote day you could forgive them. Friday? What work obsessed saddos work through a Friday night?

The Mail should have persisted with “laugh at these sad weird obsessives can’t down tools and have Friday night off”. It would have cost Labour far more votes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

You've still got a pretty good lock on seats Malcolm, but complete dominance can't go on forever, that unity in the Nat community like any other has to crack at times.
    I don't see drastic gains next time, a few possible for each of the arse cheeks but you'll be well ahead regardless. Somewhere between 2017 and 2019 is my guess.
    And, tbf, little of what the Scot Tories hold is guaranteed 'hold', they might even just churn 2 or 3 seats
    Well I am pig sick of SNP leadership cabal so they have lost my vote , but there are no alternatives, I will not vote for cretinous lickspittle London puppet parties who have no interest whatsoever in Scotland.
    I will not be back till Sturgeon and her acolytes are purged.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Which side of the bed will Big G get out of tomorow? The right? Or the moderate centre right? 🙂
  • Options

Another partisan straw.

Unless I am very much mistaken, and from what I have read BBC Wales are being somewhat optimistic in hoping for a 2 year sentence if proven, I would have thought a caution more likely.

However, if the allegation is the Commissioner has been involved in a cover up, that should be what the Conservatives push for.
    I know Alun Michael personally and I really do not think he would compromise himself
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I think this effort from them counts as overreach.
    However I still say there was zero excuse for beer and korma with the team.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!

....and watch countdown and watch Michael Parkinson's adverts about over 50s life insurance.
    And claim their free pen 😆
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Well I am pig sick of SNP leadership cabal so they have lost my vote , but there are no alternatives, I will not vote for cretinous lickspittle London puppet parties who have no interest whatsoever in Scotland.
    Ah, I see. Well I hope you get back a party you can vote for.
    I find the situation similar. Utter garbage everywhere.
  • Options
    Rangers fans in Andalusia = Seville Oranges?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Which side of the bed will Big G get out of tomorow? The right? Or the moderate centre right? 🙂
    You can rest assured it will never be the right and anyway you said you loved me ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,609
    Have I got this right: Tories are now against the windfall tax because it doesn't go far enough?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    My enemy’s enemy …

It’s the Huns v the Huns.

Absolutely supporting Rangers because they are a Scottish team and I will always support Scottish teams in Europe (unless they are playing Liverpool) because regardless of anything independence related they are part of our fabric - as a kid I marvelled over Grandstand teleprinter and the scores announcer saying mystical sounding Scottish teams results in the same way I marvelled at Tolkein- Queen of the South, Stenhousemuir, Alloa, Patrick Thistle. Wonderful. Jumpers for goalposts stuff. Forfar 5 - Fife 4.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Rangers fans in Andalusia = Seville Oranges?

If they are not careful, they will certainly peel. Weather nice in Spain France at moment.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Elon is on a journey.
    Yeah, to the looney bin!

And claim their free pen 😆
    I'm entitled to those now. I just want that old bastards extra parsnips he's trying to use to get into his neighbour's pants.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

Vote SNP, get Tory.
    It is credible.

Ah, I see. Well I hope you get back a party you can vote for.
    I find the situation similar. Utter garbage everywhere.
    Glass half empty then?
    Every party's got its idiots, but there are good people there too. I don't understand why people are so down about politicians in general. There are several parties I could vote for.
This discussion has been closed.