Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even the oldies are now giving Johnson negative ratings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited May 2022
    Two images from my hotel room in Quba (pronounced like the Cubans pronounce Cuba):

Oops! It appears I have fallen over again. How do I rotate the photos in vf?

PPS Quba is near the Caspian Sea and the border with Russia (Chechnya)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Informed and informative commentary today on the Ukraine war by Phillips O'Brien from St Andrews. Lasts one hour
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2Qdi4AA_U
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 122
    Carnyx said:

ajb said:

Leon said:

I’m sitting on a sunny terrace in Monodendri and some poor she-cat is being brutally raped by a large vicious tom cat right under the table

I never know what to do in these situations. You see it constantly with ducks. Basically all they do is quack and rape

Does one intervene, or politely look away?

How do you know she's not enjoying it. Odd creatures, cats.

Cats are 'stimulated ovulators' which means the tom has some vicous barbs on the end of his todger, the action of which causes the egg to be released. Cat sex normally starts with the queen asking for it and ends with her beating up the tom. Even it she wanted it at the start (which is normally the case) she probably isn't enjoying it.

Nature isn't fair unfortunately.
    Doesn't the male also have to bite the back of the female's neck? Or is that just lions?
    He does, but that doesn't stimulate ovulation. Cats have a reaction to the scruff of the neck being squeezed which causes them to freeze, which the mother uses to stop her kittens from wriggling about while she carries them, and the male cat uses to prevent the female from injuring him when she finds out how painful sex is for her. Male cats have this response too, I doubt it's involved in ovulation. Anyway that doesn't hurt the cat/kitten.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I’m sitting on a sunny terrace in Monodendri and some poor she-cat is being brutally raped by a large vicious tom cat right under the table

I never know what to do in these situations. You see it constantly with ducks. Basically all they do is quack and rape

I'd let it go if I were you. Usually a bad idea to do the 'have a go hero' thing when overmatched.
    Out of interest, Monodendri = one finger? Which one?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    ajb said:

Leon said:

Cats are 'stimulated ovulators' which means the tom has some vicous barbs on the end of his todger, the action of which causes the egg to be released. Cat sex normally starts with the queen asking for it and ends with her beating up the tom. Even it she wanted it at the start (which is normally the case) she probably isn't enjoying it.

Now you mention it, I've read that somewhere, but I'd forgotten. Must be careful or I'll go off on to the sex lives of foxes, with their blood curdling screams during the mating season.

IIRC humans and dolphins are about the only species of mammals which have fun mating. Not sure about bonobos, but I'm certain someone here does.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Carnyx said:

ajb said:

Leon said:

Doesn't the male also have to bite the back of the female's neck? Or is that just lions?
    Lions?........
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Not watched PMQs for ages, and now I remember why.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    The Tory chief whip looks very subdued compared to usual.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Paul Johnson
    @PJTheEconomist
    Inflation overall is 9%. But our analysis suggests that the poorest are facing an inflation rate or around 11%. That’s because they spend a large fraction of their budget on energy and food. Their benefits of course rose by just 3.1%.

https://twitter.com/PJTheEconomist/status/1526818629429477377
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    Andy_JS said:

I understand why Rishi does not want to commit to the cost of living crisis yet but it is very poor politics
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    Meanwhile on PMQs total non-sequitur, non-response flapping from Boris. Any attack lines back to Labour last 1 second and Keir simply has to sit and ask his questions to win. SKS win by default.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

ajb said:

Leon said:

Now you mention it, I've read that somewhere, but I'd forgotten. Must be careful or I'll go off on to the sex lives of foxes, with their blood curdling screams during the mating season.

IIRC humans and dolphins are about the only species of mammals which have fun mating. Not sure about bonobos, but I'm certain someone here does.
    Oh, definitely bonobos. Humans are just bonobos that haven't grown up - not much hair ...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Details of cat sex, PMQ's, phoning HMRC or an afternoon at the beach.
    It's tough.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Andy_JS said:

I understand why Rishi does not want to commit to the cost of living crisis yet but it is very poor politics
    Don't worry BigG. poor people don't vote.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Pro_Rata said:

Meanwhile on PMQs total non-sequitur, non-response flapping from Boris. Any attack lines back to Labour last 1 second and Keir simply has to sit and ask his questions to win. SKS win by default.

No mate
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I do worry about those who are seriously affected by this crisis and I understand Rishi waiting until July to announce help but as I said it is not good politics
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Starmer going on inflation. But what's the solution? I've never wanted to subscribe to the thought that "they're all the same", but when it comes to monetary policy, they are the same.
    Indeed most common comment on the doorstep.

Completely went away in 2017

Now back big style according to the few former comrades still flogging a dead horse for Labour
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ajb said:

Leon said:

Oh, definitely bonobos. Humans are just bonobos that haven't grown up - not much hair ...
    Edit: Just to avoid any doubt, this is not intended to refer to Mr Bonobo the musician.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Starmer going on inflation. But what's the solution? I've never wanted to subscribe to the thought that "they're all the same", but when it comes to monetary policy, they are the same.
    And not a single Labour person is able to differentiate what they would do about it for this reason. Urge the Bank to raise rates? Attacking the independence of the Bank and causing a housing crash.

The idea that we can simply borrow another £100bn and spunk it on tax cuts, benefit rises or subsidies will do nothing and just increase our inflation rate by pushing demand up.

How about the BoE actually does it's fucking job and stops worrying about the social impact of raising interest rates because that's the remit of the fucking politicians.

“I am afraid that they are going to lurch from excessive easing to excessive tightening,” said Professor Tim Congdon from the Institute for International Monetary Research.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/17/scapegoat-lynching-governor-bailey-becoming-dangerous/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Now back big style according to the few former comrades still flogging a dead horse for Labour
    Indeed it went away big style as people reacted with horror at Corbyn and said "anyone but him".

Voters think they're all the same is big progress for Labour.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    14m
    Clear win for Keir in the end. Windfall Tax is nailed on now.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1526885218732359692
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed it went away big style as people reacted with horror at Corbyn and said "anyone but him".

So SKS will do better than 2017 then?

No chance
  • Options
    Sienna Rodgers
    @siennamarla
    NEW: Labour has told frontbenchers not to travel to campaign for the forthcoming Tiverton and Honiton by-election in an apparent bid to give the Lib Dems a better chance of victory over the Tories:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1526862338292334599
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

And not a single Labour person is able to differentiate what they would do about it for this reason. Urge the Bank to raise rates? Attacking the independence of the Bank and causing a housing crash.

The idea that we can simply borrow another £100bn and spunk it on tax cuts, benefit rises or subsidies will do nothing and just increase our inflation rate by pushing demand up.

How about the BoE actually does it's fucking job and stops worrying about the social impact of raising interest rates because that's the remit of the fucking politicians.
    Normally I am as dry as dust on fiscal matters, but we are led to believe that inflation is being driven by external factors (oil and gas prices, war in Ukraine, Brexit and ongoing covid in China etc). As such, these factors will not be resolved by either interest rate rises nor reversing quantitive easing. Indeed there is a reasonable case that smoothing out what is a temporary spike in inflation by government borrowing is a sensible move. How that increase in borrowing is used, whether welfare or tax cuts is moot, but there is a case to be made.

• Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance
    Better than 2017? Possibly.

Better than 2019? Almost certainly.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance
    On current polling he will be PM.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    14m

Mr I am wrong about everything Hodges has spoken

Hurrah
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    14m

Rishi's comments yesterday at the dispatch box were nuanced towards a windfall tax and it will be interesting just how he presents it in July
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    edited May 2022

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance
    In terms of % of vote share, I don't think so.
    In terms of seat total, I think that's possible but I'm not sure.
    In terms of absolute votes, largely depends but again I don't think so.

But none of that really matters. What matters is your vote total against your opponents.
    Starmer gets the same number of votes in 2019 as Corbyn did, but the Conservatives lose 5m, then Starmer will win.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance
    On current polling in May 2019 Corbyn was going to be PM

2 years before a GE with a cost of living crisis worse than for a generation any other Labour leader would be nailed on

SKSWNBPM
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited May 2022

ajb said:

Leon said:

Not sure if someone on here has fun mating? It's a moot point for sure..
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

2 years before a GE with a cost of living crisis worse than for a generation any other Labour leader would be nailed on

SKSWNBPM
    I agree Labour should be much further ahead.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Sienna Rodgers
    @siennamarla
    NEW: Labour has told frontbenchers not to travel to campaign for the forthcoming Tiverton and Honiton by-election in an apparent bid to give the Lib Dems a better chance of victory over the Tories:

So utterly shit they have to tag in the party in third and bottle it.
    Joke of an opposition
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: V&A urged to investigate why a Conservative fundraising event auctioned off a private tour of the museum with its chair and trustee Nicholas Coleridge - following this Sunday's MoS column

Story today by @jessicaelgot: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/17/va-at-centre-of-row-over-auction-of-private-tour-as-prize-at-tory-fundraising-event

What 's the problem? He's not a Tory MP is he?
    As ever with these hit pieces, the obligatory quotes they bury at the bottom tell a different story to the rest of the article.

In a statement, the V&A said: “The V&A understands that a short tour of the museum with Nicholas Coleridge was offered at auction at the spring lunch. No V&A staff or resources were involved and no special access to the museum was offered. We understand that neither Ben Elliot or Nicholas Coleridge attended the event.”

A Conservative party spokesman said that the event had been arranged by Women2Win, which campaigns to elect more Conservative women. “This was not a Conservative party event and Ben Elliot had no involvement in it.”
    Nevertheless, it is a standard principle of being a trustee of any charity or public body not to take action that leads to any conflict of interest with one's primary duty to the body. There was most certainly special access to V&A resources, in the form of Mr Coleridge himself by virtye of his position. Mr Coleridge was undoubtedly quite wrong to use his connection with the museum as a political fundraising point.

Edit: as would the case be for any political organization. Even fundraising for another charity is a bit iffy.
    I very much doubt it is "special access" - it may not even be one of the Trustees.

What you will probably have is a membership/donor tier at the V&A that gives you the right to a private tour with the director for a donation to the V&A of £30K or whatever.

One of those donors doesn't want to go and has simply "onsold" his/her right to that tour via this auction. It's pretty standard practice in charitable auctions - effectively maximising the charitable impact by selling the same prize twice (less common in political fundraising, but the principle is the same)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

But none of that really matters. What matters is your vote total against your opponents.
    Starmer gets the same number of votes in 2019 as Corbyn did, but the Conservatives lose 5m, then Starmer will win.
    I expect the LDs to have a good GE but seat gains will be limited

I expect the Greens to have a good GE but will only Gain 1 seat maximum

I expect a Lab loss in Islington North and Tower Hamlets to Left wing Parties

If other areas repeat what happened in Tower Hamlets Lab will do terribly

I expect SKS to lose votes compared to 2017 and possibly 2019
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

Andy_JS said:

Not without a passport or driving license.
    You can with a 65+ bus pass. However an under 30s railcard is verboten.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Not without a passport or driving license.
    You can with a 65+ bus pass. However an under 30s railcard is verboten.

66 and over bus pass
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

SKSWNBPM
    Not with a Labour majority though, dependent on a coalition of LD and SNP.

And 6 months later led Labour to its most catastrophic defeat since the 1930s
  • Options

Sienna Rodgers
    @siennamarla

Joke of an opposition
    Well the Wakefield by-election is on the same day and it's a top Labour target so it make sense for all their campaigners to go there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Normally I am as dry as dust on fiscal matters, but we are led to believe that inflation is being driven by external factors (oil and gas prices, war in Ukraine, Brexit and ongoing covid in China etc). As such, these factors will not be resolved by either interest rate rises nor reversing quantitive easing. Indeed there is a reasonable case that smoothing out what is a temporary spike in inflation by government borrowing is a sensible move. How that increase in borrowing is used, whether welfare or tax cuts is moot, but there is a case to be made.

Increasing demand will simply put us in an inflationary cycle. A fiscal stimulus now would be a disaster and hurt the poorest the most because prices will go up even faster. A £400 sticking plaster vs another year of £2000 per year price increases. The sticking plaster may get some votes but it is the wrong policy. A give away funded by cuts elsewhere could make sense but realistically no one in the government has the balls to cut spending, this isn't Dave and George.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

SKSWNBPM

Precisely and his lead then was bigger than the 3% SKS lead now
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375

How to pronounce the South East, for Soviet Polish spies.

Are these maps commercially available now?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Increasing demand will simply put us in an inflationary cycle. A fiscal stimulus now would be a disaster and hurt the poorest the most because prices will go up even faster. A £400 sticking plaster vs another year of £2000 per year price increases. The sticking plaster may get some votes but it is the wrong policy. A give away funded by cuts elsewhere could make sense but realistically no one in the government has the balls to cut spending, this isn't Dave and George.
    Yes, but if we believe that it is external factors rather than increased domestic demand driving inflation then that is not true, and hence support for those suffering the sharp end of inflation is not fueling an inflationary spiral.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Sienna Rodgers
    @siennamarla

Joke of an opposition
    This is just to give the appearance of being in a "progressive alliance" to the more batshit elements in their party and on social media who simply think all opposition parties like each other really. It is inconceivable they would target resource at Tiverton and Honiton when they have a winnable seat in Wakefield to target.

Same for the Lib Dems in Wakefield.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

March: Labour says 'Let's have a windfall tax on the huge excess profits of the energy companies to help with household bills'.
    Tories: 'No way! Only a mad socialist remainer would suggest such a thing and anyway the energy companies will use their profits to wisely invest in renewable energy blah blah blah'.

May: Labour says 'let's have a windfall tax on the huge excess profits of the energy companies to help with household bills'.
    Tories: 'We're thinking about it and actually would have done it if we'd thought of it first'.

June: Tories: 'it was our idea in the first place, wasn't it?'.

The oil and gas cos operating in the north sea basically have/had a massive arb on North sea hydrocarbons with the huge market price.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

ajb said:

Leon said:

Too much cat information for me
  • Options
    edited May 2022

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

I expect the LDs to have a good GE but seat gains will be limited

I expect the Greens to have a good GE but will only Gain 1 seat maximum

I expect a Lab loss in Islington North and Tower Hamlets to Left wing Parties

If other areas repeat what happened in Tower Hamlets Lab will do terribly

I expect SKS to lose votes compared to 2017 and possibly 2019
    Yep, the Bethnal Green and Poplar seats are now at high risk and that could spread towards the Hams
    The media are also gearing up towards a massive 'comeback kid' narrative as we approach GE
    I think it's a narrow Tory win on 2017 sort of seat numbers for them with labour lower, LDs higher, maybe 25 seats
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    dixiedean said:

Details of cat sex, PMQ's, phoning HMRC or an afternoon at the beach.
    It's tough.

depends on the weather. It is glorious in South Durham
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Taxation would also reduce the cash surplus.
  • Options

March: Labour says 'Let's have a windfall tax on the huge excess profits of the energy companies to help with household bills'.
    Tories: 'No way! Only a mad socialist remainer would suggest such a thing and anyway the energy companies will use their profits to wisely invest in renewable energy blah blah blah'.

May: Labour says 'let's have a windfall tax on the huge excess profits of the energy companies to help with household bills'.
    Tories: 'We're thinking about it and actually would have done it if we'd thought of it first'.

The energy paying Public are going to be very disappointed if the Tories allocate the money in the way Lab is proposing

Very few to get the £600 in Labours " up to £600"

Many will get no help eg mr and mrs average earnings

Labour as usual under SKS being totally duplicitous
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sienna Rodgers
    @siennamarla

Joke of an opposition
    This is just to give the appearance of being in a "progressive alliance" to the more batshit elements in their party and on social media who simply think all opposition parties like each other really. It is inconceivable they would target resource at Tiverton and Honiton when they have a winnable seat in Wakefield to target.

Same for the Lib Dems in Wakefield.
    I understand that but it's also because they are about as popular as gash rash and know they can't win from second in the teeth of a global financial meltdown and massive government corruption and ineptitude
  • Options
    The Tories and Labour have gone into unofficial coalition with each other on Stirling council to keep the SNP out.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    Have got PMQs on catchup. A totally baffling performance by Bonzo. Manages to both rule out a windfall tax then answers "all things are under consideration", then responds to a list of business leaders including the head of BP in favour of the tax by screeching on about Labour wanting to tax business.

Its baffling. Its like he genuinely doesn't understand how normal people live. Can't be that, surely...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2022
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1526865527246831616

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant
    I am expecting a strong turnout of Conservative MPs at Prime Minister's Questions today.
    Not only to demonstrate their strong support for #Boris (!!). BUT also to prove they are NOT the one told by the Chief Whip to stay at home. I'll be there!😜
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: V&A urged to investigate why a Conservative fundraising event auctioned off a private tour of the museum with its chair and trustee Nicholas Coleridge - following this Sunday's MoS column

Story today by @jessicaelgot: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/17/va-at-centre-of-row-over-auction-of-private-tour-as-prize-at-tory-fundraising-event

What 's the problem? He's not a Tory MP is he?
    As ever with these hit pieces, the obligatory quotes they bury at the bottom tell a different story to the rest of the article.

In a statement, the V&A said: “The V&A understands that a short tour of the museum with Nicholas Coleridge was offered at auction at the spring lunch. No V&A staff or resources were involved and no special access to the museum was offered. We understand that neither Ben Elliot or Nicholas Coleridge attended the event.”

A Conservative party spokesman said that the event had been arranged by Women2Win, which campaigns to elect more Conservative women. “This was not a Conservative party event and Ben Elliot had no involvement in it.”
    Nevertheless, it is a standard principle of being a trustee of any charity or public body not to take action that leads to any conflict of interest with one's primary duty to the body. There was most certainly special access to V&A resources, in the form of Mr Coleridge himself by virtye of his position. Mr Coleridge was undoubtedly quite wrong to use his connection with the museum as a political fundraising point.

Edit: as would the case be for any political organization. Even fundraising for another charity is a bit iffy.
    I very much doubt it is "special access" - it may not even be one of the Trustees.

What you will probably have is a membership/donor tier at the V&A that gives you the right to a private tour with the director for a donation to the V&A of £30K or whatever.

One of those donors doesn't want to go and has simply "onsold" his/her right to that tour via this auction. It's pretty standard practice in charitable auctions - effectively maximising the charitable impact by selling the same prize twice (less common in political fundraising, but the principle is the same)
    Surely some form of 'special access' not granted to less bountifil plebs is entirely the point of such donor schemes anyway.

But this sort of commodification - selling/raffling it like a box of chocolates - would make much more sense than MrColeridge apparently engaging in a conflict of interest which seemed such an elementary mistake. Very happy to accept that interpretation, apologies to him.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    malcolmg said:

ajb said:

Leon said:

Too much cat information for me
    Easy tiger.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant
    I am expecting a strong turnout of Conservative MPs at Prime Minister's Questions today.
    Not only to demonstrate their strong support for #Boris (!!). BUT also to prove they are NOT the one told by the Chief Whip to stay at home. I'll be there!😜

Disgusting

Tory whips have asked him to remove it according to BBC2

What are the people of Lichfield thinking electing such a twat
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories and Labour have gone into unofficial coalition with each other on Stirling council to keep the SNP out.

Indeed, we were discussing thai briefly yesterday. Very much in conflict with Mr Sarwar's promises of no coalitions, no siree, with nobody at all.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
  • Options

Have got PMQs on catchup. A totally baffling performance by Bonzo. Manages to both rule out a windfall tax then answers "all things are under consideration", then responds to a list of business leaders including the head of BP in favour of the tax by screeching on about Labour wanting to tax business.

Its baffling. Its like he genuinely doesn't understand how normal people live. Can't be that, surely...

Surely everyone has a wealthy benefactor or two to sub them when, through no fault of their own, they wind up spending considerably more than they earn.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

You get what you vote for. What kind of person do you have to be to turn out to vote for *that*? And yet when @Heathener tried to describe them justly got roundly attacked for it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited May 2022

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

One ill advised tweet but otherwise Michael Fabricant is one of the most colourful characters in the Commons and a hardworking local MP.

Hence he got 64% of the vote in Lichfield in 2019
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, we were discussing thai briefly yesterday. Very much in conflict with Mr Sarwar's promises of no coalitions, no siree, with nobody at all.
    Better Together is evidently more than just a phrase to Anas.
  • Options

Surely everyone has a wealthy benefactor or two to sub them when, through no fault of their own, they wind up spending considerably more than they earn.
    A Magwitch for every Pip is a very Toryesque policy
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Former British Diplomat @alexhallhall has now named current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss as the minister responsible for these remarks. https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1453091619213824007
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

The problem is that (1) @Foxy is right, raising interest rates do nothing to sort the external factors such as energy supply, (2) that, on the consumer side, a lot of the inflationary price increases are being driven by the wealthier parts of society as asset values increased massively due to Government QE programmes which benefited them the most (look at Burberry results today) and (3) to tackle (2), raising interest rates is a very poor tool because it doesn't sort out the root cause i.e. a lot of people have made out like bandits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

One ill advised tweet but otherwise Michael Fabricant is one of the most colourful characters in the Commons and a hardworking local MP.

He is an absolutely horrid man, but with luxurious hair.

I hope he is not one of your role models for when you take your seat in the HoC.
  • Options
    "It's idiotic, it's insensitive, and it attempts to make light of a really serious situation, I despair when I read stuff like that"

Welsh Secretary Simon Hart responds to Conservative Michael Fabricant's tweet on MP accused of rape

#PoliticsLive https://bbc.in/3wye9v3 https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1526899109378113536/video/1
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227

How to pronounce the South East, for Soviet Polish spies.

Are these maps commercially available now?
    Not sure how many but some are. I just saw this one on twitter. Someone in the replies linked to this article about a book of them
    https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history/2017/12/soviet-military-program-secretly-mapped-entire-world/amp
  • Options
    Mr Fabricant has called those who have taken issue with his tweet “professional offence takers.” That would therefore now appear to include a Cabinet Minister from his own party.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1526896573904474114
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

I hope he is not one of your role models for when you take your seat in the HoC.
    He is a character as is Rees Mogg, the Commons has too few characters already so long may he stay!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

He is a character as is Rees Mogg, the Commons has too few characters already so long may he stay!
    If being absolute arses makes each of them a "character", you are correct.

Unsuitable for public office is my take.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Rees mogg is a fraud
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    edited May 2022

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    And the same point was made on pb in the last thread or two so, erm, Fabricant was right.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

If being absolute arses makes each of them a "character", you are correct.

Unsuitable for public office is my take.
    I'd agree. There's too much sugar coating of these arses as 'just a bit daffy' etc
    No, they are arses.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    And the same point was made on pb in the last thread so, erm, Fabricant was right.
    That's the difference between outsiders discussing practicalities of where we are and a colleague having a bit of fun with it. The latter is distasteful.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    And the same point was made on pb in the last thread or two so, erm, Fabricant was right.
    Yeah, I don't see what is so outrageous. He's saying what most of that cohort are thinking.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    Yeah, I don't see what is so outrageous. He's saying what most of that cohort are thinking.
    I think it's that it shouldn't be a game. Given the gravity of the accusations.
  • Options

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    Saying you are going to show your face in the Commons so people don't falsely accuse you of being a rapist doesn't seem like a particularly bad idea in this day and age.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

SKSWNBPM

Corbyn had two goes and lost twice and ushered in the Boris eta leaving Labour bitterly divided and with a vote back at 1930s levels. Hard to imagine him doing worse.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Heathener said:

My view is that Tiverton & Honiton will go LibDem in a big way. It could be pretty seismic and will continue a huge yellow surge in the blue wall.

Wakefield ought to be a Labour win and they've finally settled on a good candidate but the initial rumpus over selection was not very smart by Starmer's aides and it tells me that they STILL don't get the new Conservative red wall voters.

That bodes badly in my opinion for Labour in the General Election. I'm expecting them to do fail in the former red wall seats. Uneducated and unethical people will stay loyal to Boris. He will lose his majority but Labour's failure to engage with the Brexit mob (as I have just failed to do) will cost them.

I agree with you about Labour possibly struggling in Wakefield, Heathener. If your messaging and persuasive skills can’t even prevent the local party resigning on mass, how is it going to persuade voters to switch?

Yesterday I placed bully on Tories at 6-1. Any sort of candidate from ‘disgruntled, red wall, leave their entire lives labour’ splitting the vote surely hands this one to Tories?

In a way, as a wake up call (see what I did there) it might be some good for Labour, slapped with a wet cold haddock to realise now rather than two years they have problems appealing in the red wall Tory seats, this failure coming soon after similar struggles recent local election night.

However, it also gives Tory’s a path back to Downing Street, if they are really underhand and despicably not playing by the rules to take it - to find and field anti Starmer labour splitters in all the red wall defences at next election. The story of election night would be, Tories 21K, Labour 19K, Leave Labour ‘protect brexit’ 5K, over and over throughout the night.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    And the same point was made on pb in the last thread so, erm, Fabricant was right.
    That's the difference between outsiders discussing practicalities of where we are and a colleague having a bit of fun with it. The latter is distasteful.
    I think it is more that politicians somehow still don't understand what twatter is. It is not an extension of your mates who can share an in joke and the chaps will either find it funny or tolerate it. It is publicly broadcast and intensely searched by your opponents for any weakness.

If a politician must tweet, and at the top they must, then understand exactly what it is you are trying to achieve and how it will be interpreted before pressing send.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    Saying you are going to show your face in the Commons so people don't falsely accuse you of being a rapist doesn't seem like a particularly bad idea in this day and age.
    No, but the stupid emoji trivialises it all. That's my main gripe. Plus he risks casting doubts over anyone who couldn't be there for legitimate reasons
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    No, but the stupid emoji trivialises it all. That's my main gripe. Plus he risks casting doubts over anyone who couldn't be there for legitimate reasons
    People were going to speculate on who was or was not there even if he hadn’t tweeted. It’s not as if he suddenly gave them the idea. He’s just saying what a lot of them are actually thinking.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    I think it is more that politicians somehow still don't understand what twatter is. It is not an extension of your mates who can share an in joke and the chaps will either find it funny or tolerate it. It is publicly broadcast and intensely searched by your opponents for any weakness.

If a politician must tweet, and at the top they must, then understand exactly what it is you are trying to achieve and how it will be interpreted before pressing send.
    Don't disagree with any of that
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦
    @Mike_Fabricant

Disgusting

Tone deaf. Not a clue
    People were going to speculate on who was or was not there even if he hadn’t tweeted. It’s not as if he suddenly gave them the idea. He’s just saying what a lot of them are actually thinking.
    Sure. Not going to argue otherwise but he's trivializing accusations of rape with his tongue out emoji. He might as well type 'lolz'. Given where parliament is right now with 50 MPs being looked into its very wrong headed.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

The energy paying Public are going to be very disappointed if the Tories allocate the money in the way Lab is proposing

Very few to get the £600 in Labours " up to £600"

Many will get no help eg mr and mrs average earnings

Labour as usual under SKS being totally duplicitous
    The £600 is for the poorest, those on disability benefits etc. You're a weird sort of socialist who doesn't think state help should be targeted at the poorest rather than average earners, in the first instance.

Jeremy Corbyn, for one, would disagree with you.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Former British Diplomat @alexhallhall has now named current Foreign Secretary Liz Truss as the minister responsible for these remarks. https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1453091619213824007

Good for her if so. 👍
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

Scott_xP said:

Good for her if so. 👍
    Thick Spice
  • Options
    Incidentally, I assume that Boris can't have forgotten what he did when he was mayor, so I assume his "I started Crossrail" boast was yet another lie.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Obviously those of us who do not work there won't know the details and such bullying should be challenged and addressed, but it is remarkable how many strike days on TfL seem to occur on or around weekends and bank holidays. Prediction - if the weather is wet and miserable that day, it will get resolved, if its sunny, the strike will go ahead.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Taz said:
    And punishing thousands of tourists visiting London for the day is a great way to resolve the dispute.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

No chance

SKSWNBPM

Corbyn had two goes and lost twice and ushered in the Boris eta leaving Labour bitterly divided and with a vote back at 1930s levels. Hard to imagine him doing worse.
    Indeed. I believe leafy, remainey Huntite/Cameronite conservative seats would have been very fertile ground for LibDems in 2019 but for the fact that a vote for the LibDems risked a Corbyn premiership. Centre left voters held their nose to vote for Corbyn and against Boris but I think the opposite was also true. Personally, faced with such a choice, I can't really blame anyone for voting for Boris or Corbyn.

That's not such a problem anymore, because Starmer is much less of a threat. 'Vote LibDem and get Starmer' isn't going to keep anti-Boris Tories in line in quite the same way.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Heathener said:

My view is that Tiverton & Honiton will go LibDem in a big way. It could be pretty seismic and will continue a huge yellow surge in the blue wall.

Wakefield ought to be a Labour win and they've finally settled on a good candidate but the initial rumpus over selection was not very smart by Starmer's aides and it tells me that they STILL don't get the new Conservative red wall voters.

That bodes badly in my opinion for Labour in the General Election. I'm expecting them to do fail in the former red wall seats. Uneducated and unethical people will stay loyal to Boris. He will lose his majority but Labour's failure to engage with the Brexit mob (as I have just failed to do) will cost them.

I agree with you about Labour possibly struggling in Wakefield, Heathener. If your messaging and persuasive skills can’t even prevent the local party resigning on mass, how is it going to persuade voters to switch?

Yesterday I placed bully on Tories at 6-1. Any sort of candidate from ‘disgruntled, red wall, leave their entire lives labour’ splitting the vote surely hands this one to Tories?

In a way, as a wake up call (see what I did there) it might be some good for Labour, slapped with a wet cold haddock to realise now rather than two years they have problems appealing in the red wall Tory seats, this failure coming soon after similar struggles recent local election night.

However, it also gives Tory’s a path back to Downing Street, if they are really underhand and despicably not playing by the rules to take it - to find and field anti Starmer labour splitters in all the red wall defences at next election. The story of election night would be, Tories 21K, Labour 19K, Leave Labour ‘protect brexit’ 5K, over and over throughout the night.
    You're thinking that Brexit is still popular in the ex-Red Wall seats. If so why would the 'Leave Labour ‘protect brexit’ candidate not hurt the Tories?
    No the Tories won those seats by convincing voters that the Tories would not ignore them as Labour had for years.
This discussion has been closed.