Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinium polling on Partygate v Beergate – – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    Foxy said:

Nothing for Ukraine....wow

Yes, but this is the Jury vote, not the popular vote.
    I thought this was the other way round?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2022
    Spain 2/1 fav

Edit 6/4
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why is Australia in Eurovision? My geography is not great, but I am pretty sure it's not in Europe.

Most Australians' families are of European origin however
    Or African, if you go back far enough.
    That was before the continents emerged geographically.

Since the continents emerged then if you added those nations whose populations are mainly of European ancestry to the European nations who compere in Eurovision, then Canada, New Zealand, the USA, Chile and Argentina as well as Australia would be the maximum number of competitors in Eurovision
    Are you on the rules committee ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    We get 12 from Ukraine
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    12 points from Ukraine... to UK!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Oh yes, those 12 points are worth so much more...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,196
    Yes Ukraine sticking with their biggest allies
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    We are in the lead!!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Don't want to detract from Eurovision but our kids' schools are falling down. Or does anyone who matters go private?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/14/england-crumbling-schools-risk-warn-no-10-education-department-treasury

Everybody should look at that article if only to see the photo of Gove about halfway down. It's astonishing - he looks like a coked-up alien.
    I'm currently whittling about where middle daughter goes to secondary school. The state of the buildings is the least of my worries, to be honest. I'd settle for somewhere where the headteachers weren't Corbynites and the pupils weren't psychopaths.
  • Options
    UK in the lead!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    12 points from Ukraine to ... Boris!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Looks like those nlaw shipments were worth it
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,635
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why is Australia in Eurovision? My geography is not great, but I am pretty sure it's not in Europe.

Since the continents emerged then if you added those nations whose populations are mainly of European ancestry to the European nations who compere in Eurovision, then Canada, New Zealand, the USA, Chile and Argentina as well as Australia would be the maximum number of competitors in Eurovision
    What on Earth are you saying? Modern humans came out of Africa probably within the last 200,000 years. When do you think the continents emerged? The land masses and seas were basically the same 200,000 years ago.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    I miss the days when they used to start at one vote and go through them all individually.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    The unpredictability of live sport!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    It was the aliens that did it.........
  • Options
    Germans give 12 to the UK!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What on Earth are you saying? Modern humans came out of Africa probably within the last 200,000 years. When do you think the continents emerged? The land masses and seas were basically the same 200,000 years ago.
    To give @HYUFD the benefit of the doubt, he did say "geographically", not geologically. I assume he is talking about the time the continents were named.
  • Options
    12 from Germany too
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Quick - take a screen shot!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you on the rules committee ?
    I rather think dear HYUFD is having fun over analysing the reasoning behind the broadening of the participants of Eurovision as if it had firm logic to it. Rather than the mundane truth, which would most likely appear to be that the European Broadcasting Union (which is broader anyway) decided a long time ago that it was fun and interesting to let others participate.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

Cyclefree said:

"Far from the Madding Crowd" on BBC2 for those who do not give a tinker's cuss about Eurovision.

Gorgeous day here today - as you can see below. I have been sitting in the sunshine designing my vegetable potager and other lovely garden matters.

Daughter is in Greece having gone to Croatia first. Youngest son is joining her tomorrow. It is a long and well deserved holiday for them both. He was her front of house manager for the last year of her lease and bloody good at it. The last 3 years have been tough but she has made a profit, has learnt a huge amount and proved herself to be quite the tough entrepreneur. I look forward to seeing what she does next.

I know all the criticisms made of jobs in hospitality but, at its best, it can teach those working in it so much. And it is so much harder than it looks to get it right. Snobbery about what is involved in doing so and doing it profitably is unnecessary.

At the moment Daughter is sending me pictures of all the beautiful places she's visiting in Greece, which is making me quite envious.

Azerbaijan today:

Azerbaijan seems to have suffered quite the calamity, such that the very ground has been shifted 90 degrees. Presumably some sort of powerful earthquake, I hope you are there on relief efforts.
    It was only a scratch ...
  • Options
    Betting all over the place
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659
    Andy_JS said:

I miss the days when they used to start at one vote and go through them all individually.

The popular vote can shift it quite a bit, but not bottom this time!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

12 points from Azerbaijan, Putin by invading Ukraine and Boris by standing so resolutely by Zelensky have clearly saved our Eurovision prospects!

I fully expect him to suggest that was our motivation for provoking the war in the first place in his next broadcast.
  • Options
    Ukraine in the pack, they can still win this.
  • Options
    Ukraine/Sweden/Uk all between 2/1 & 3/1
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    bloody hell we are winning this.
  • Options
    Ukraine will come through on the popular vote but good to see UK up there
  • Options

Bizarre Inc Spain haven't won since 1970

Spain have the same issue as the UK - they're not in a bloc, like the Baltics and the Scandinavians. It's not that people dislike them, there's just not many countries who will vote for them whether they merit or or not.
    Also their pop music is pretty terrible.
  • Options
    Astonishing performance for UK on jury vote best since 1997
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    I’ve always said Eurovision jury voting was fair and balanced….

So, you’d think the public vote will massively favour Ukraine, but we might get some eastern EU votes too….
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And neanderthals were in Europe 130,000 years ago and humans as you might now define them 30,000 years ago.

Their descendants inhabit the majority of the European nations that compete in Eurovision today and a majority of a few nations beyond Europe too ie Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA, Chile and Argentina as I said, plus Uruguay
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Benefit of the British defence budget #1 is apparently Eurovision votes….
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I haven't actually watched Eurovision since about 2014 I think. I didn't realise the joke on our consistent performance had been so spot on.
  • Options
    Ukraine back into 1/2
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Nigelb said:

TimT said:

Cyclefree said:

"Far from the Madding Crowd" on BBC2 for those who do not give a tinker's cuss about Eurovision.

Gorgeous day here today - as you can see below. I have been sitting in the sunshine designing my vegetable potager and other lovely garden matters.

Daughter is in Greece having gone to Croatia first. Youngest son is joining her tomorrow. It is a long and well deserved holiday for them both. He was her front of house manager for the last year of her lease and bloody good at it. The last 3 years have been tough but she has made a profit, has learnt a huge amount and proved herself to be quite the tough entrepreneur. I look forward to seeing what she does next.

I know all the criticisms made of jobs in hospitality but, at its best, it can teach those working in it so much. And it is so much harder than it looks to get it right. Snobbery about what is involved in doing so and doing it profitably is unnecessary.

At the moment Daughter is sending me pictures of all the beautiful places she's visiting in Greece, which is making me quite envious.

Azerbaijan today:

Some serious camber on their roads.
    I think @TimT has fallen over.
  • Options

All those NLAWs got us 12 points.

Worth every penny.
  • Options
    No love for the German entry...
  • Options
    Germany still on nil points.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    LIVERPOOL FC
  • Options

Astonishing performance for UK on jury vote best since 1997

I think the UK's entry was, for the first time in ages, not crap.
    We lament the continent voting against us, but for a nation which exports far more pop than it imports, our Eurovision entries are baffling bland, like they've been designed by committee. This year - we'll it's not to my taste, but that doesn't matter, the point is to be to at least somebody's taste, and it achieves that, I think. It doesn't matter how many people don't like it, it matters that at least some people do.
  • Options
    I am about to go the poor house if Le Royaume-Uni win this.
  • Options
    Looks like we will finish 2. We will be swamped by Ukraine in popular vote. I can live with that 👍
  • Options

LIVERPOOL FC

Did you boo?
  • Options
    biggles said:

Benefit of the British defence budget #1 is apparently Eurovision votes….

Soft power.....
  • Options
    I think we should go with Thom Yorke and this song next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97tkGJ28yU
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

LIVERPOOL FC

You were at Wembley?
  • Options
    Moldova shockingly overlooked......
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

LIVERPOOL FC

Did you boo?
    Only Chelsea players.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

LIVERPOOL FC

You were at Wembley?
    Yes, in Paris in a fortnight.
  • Options
    UK leading after 24 Jury Votes (out of 40).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

LIVERPOOL FC

You were at Wembley?
    Yes, in Paris in a fortnight.
    Ooh, lucky bugger! I’ll be at a beach party in a crowd of about 3,000.
  • Options

LIVERPOOL FC

You know you are not going to get the 4 though don't you. City will win tomorrow. Hope you win Champions League tho 👍
  • Options

Moldova shockingly overlooked......

That's my general description of Moldova - the forgotten European country.
  • Options
    Off topic (for a moment): you can currently buy the only flying Harrier certified for civilian use:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/191203255/1979-british-aerospace-sea-harrier-fa2-turbine-military-aircraft

It comes with two non-flying Harriers that you can cannibalise for spare parts.

A snip at $8m.
  • Options
    Just realised these aren't the final results from each country. Haven't watched it properly for ages so not familiar with the changes in format.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

LIVERPOOL FC

You know you are not going to get the 4 though don't you. City will win tomorrow. Hope you win Champions League tho 👍
    I've said on here that we will not complete the tetralogy this season.
  • Options
    Ok, I've now seen our entry, but not the others yet. Good performance, but can't say the song really stirred me at all.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Off topic (for a moment): you can currently buy the only flying Harrier certified for civilian use:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/191203255/1979-british-aerospace-sea-harrier-fa2-turbine-military-aircraft

A snip at $8m.

@Dura_Ace ?
  • Options
    Bless you, France.....
  • Options
    12 points from the French jury!
  • Options
    French give us 12 points!
  • Options
    I love France 💙
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    What parallel Eurovision universe is this.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Azerbaijan today:

Some serious camber on their roads.
    I think @TimT has fallen over.
    It's the local red wine and vodka ...
  • Options
    Fucking hell, douze point from the French.
  • Options

French give us 12 points!

French jury though, not French public
  • Options
    12 from the French?
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    WTF 12 points from France!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,635
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And neanderthals were in Europe 130,000 years ago and humans as you might now define them 30,000 years ago.

Their descendants inhabit the majority of the European nations that compete in Eurovision today and a majority of a few nations beyond Europe too ie Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA, Chile and Argentina as I said, plus Uruguay
    I am unclear what you are saying. Who does “Their” refer to?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think we should go with Thom Yorke and this song next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97tkGJ28yU

Things I like about that:
    1. The artwork on the sleeve. Compelling.
    2. Everything up until the singing starts. Not that there is anything wrong with the singing, but the intro promises a song which is going to be wilfully annoying, which is quite exciting. Nothing wrong with the pop song which follows, but I was hoping for something my wife and kids would hate.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

12 from the French?

That confirms Eurovision is rigged.
  • Options
    If the UK does indeed place well I look forward to much hysterica, of course, but also a few party poopers - you know, like people on election night complaining that the winning side's supporters are a bit too ebullient.
  • Options
    Fuck you, Armenia.....
  • Options
    Brilliant comeback from UK even if we don't win. On course for first top five since Jessica Garlick 2002
  • Options

tlg86 said:

12 from the French?

That confirms Eurovision is rigged.
    Boris was desperate, but I never thought he'd go the Franco route. Kudos on the boldness.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am unclear what you are saying. Who does “Their” refer to?
    Ethnic Europeans ie the majority of the population in Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile
  • Options

Thoughts and prayers for Stuart Dickson tonight.

He assured us all the rest of Europe hate us and we'd get nul point.

While politics is obvious, song and performance quality does count for a fair bit.
  • Options
    Pervy Irish going for a bit of butt.....
  • Options
    No 12 points for UK from the Irish jury
  • Options
    Foxy said:

While politics is obvious, song and performance quality does count for a fair bit.
    If it did Gina G would have won in 1996 in a landslide.
  • Options
    When did they split the voting in two between juries and the public?
  • Options

Brilliant comeback from UK even if we don't win. On course for first top five since Jessica Garlick 2002

Jade Ewen in 2009.
  • Options

Yes, I'm firmly of the view that our lamentable performance in Eurovision for the last age has been due to submitting entirely forgettable songs which we hope people won't hate and might vote for because it reminds them a bit of British pop music, rather than any fundamental enmity towards the UK.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

Fuck you, Armenia.....

They are backed by Russia and recently lost a war to Azerbaijan
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Question is.. will public vote politically or on the songs?

If it's on the latter then I think we win.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

• Options
    I fear Ukraine will hammer us on the public vote.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Foxy said:

If it did Gina G would have won in 1996 in a landslide.
    I had an Irish mate who was devestated when Gina G didn't win!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

For some years now. There are major disparities with the juries.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    rcs1000 said:

A snip at $8m.

I expect @Dura_Ace to pick it up and part it out.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Croatia - Serbia relations have certainly improved
  • Options
    Punters seem to think Ukraine wins the popular votes. Looks rather short to me.
  • Options
    I assume the best tell for a politically driven vote is if one country gives top points to someone who otherwise is lagging at the bottom. If there are consistent top votes across the board song enjoyment must be a big part of it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358

I fear Ukraine will hammer us on the public vote.

Depends how big the gap is. I think eastern Europe and Baltic States will give them a lot of votes but they'll give us a lot too
This discussion has been closed.