Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s approval rating no change at -2% – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Mail is very annoyed their big plan has failed
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

If you've not not broken the law you've nothing to fear. https://twitter.com/donaeldunready/status/1523758694739357697/photo/1

In a long day at the Dual Thick Short Planks Congress this deserves at least a mentioned in dispatches

Bozos for BoJo really do have their collective knickers in a twist and then some.

And are busily hoisting their flapping, somewhat- soiled undies on their own splintery petards.
    Worlds smallest violin for bozos like Harry Cole, a man who is quite literally a cuck for the Prime Minister.
    Boris is having sex with Harry Cole's wife?
    Coles's ex
    The Spectator/Tory metropolitan clique is amazingly inbred isn't it.
    Probably no more than other such cliques. More modern approaches to dating, we usually end up with those in our social sphere. And it’s not exactly unheard of to move on from a partner to a friend of said partner.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

As expected the Daily Mail has had its memo from no 10 and is now accusing Starmer of trying to pressure police .

It really is a despicable paper .

I dislike the Heil, but it is amusing how many leftwingers are outraged at the Mail but never have a critical word to say about the Mirror or the Grauniad when they go off on one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited May 2022

GIN1138 said:

The Prince of Wales has no constitutional right or precedent to represent the Queen at tomorrow’s Opening of Parliament, apparently.

It feels like HMQ might not have very long left with us and a "transition" is from her to Charles is very quietly taking place?
    Trying to get us and her through platinum weekend
    I think her mobility issues are from osteoporotic spinal collapse with trapped nerves. Not terminal, but painful and difficult to move or sit comfortably, and probably very uncomfortable to wear the heavy formal costume.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

Macron tells Europe to spare Putin from humiliation and warns the Ukraine it will be decades before it is allowed into the EU

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1523747474434895873?s=20&t=9aKF6axzAvzXvkmoNR1ctw

:(
    Completely pathetic.
    But I do foresee a problem emerging.
    Ukraine is relying on continuous supplies of expensive weapons from western countries, whereas Russia seems to be willing to accept hundreds of thousands of deaths, perhaps indefinetly, in a trench war.
    I've been wondering how much money can the west pump in to it, and whether Ukraine can actually ever "win".
    Putin probably thinks he has the stronger will, and can outlast the wave of enthusiasm in the West for the war.
    Unfortunately he might be right.

• Options

nico679 said:

As expected the Daily Mail has had its memo from no 10 and is now accusing Starmer of trying to pressure police .

I dislike the Heil, but it is amusing how many leftwingers are outraged at the Mail but never have a critical word to say about the Mirror or the Grauniad when they go off on one.
    All the papers are mounds of shit, it’s why I’ve never bought one and I will never will
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    nico679 said:

Thing is, Starmer has been criticised by some on here for lack of political nouse, but today has shown him doing the right thing, the thing that Blair would have done. You can say it’s pressuring the police, and it’s true, it is. But it will concentrate their minds somewhat in a way that doesn’t work for Johnson.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

If you've not not broken the law you've nothing to fear. https://twitter.com/donaeldunready/status/1523758694739357697/photo/1

In a long day at the Dual Thick Short Planks Congress this deserves at least a mentioned in dispatches

Bozos for BoJo really do have their collective knickers in a twist and then some.

And are busily hoisting their flapping, somewhat- soiled undies on their own splintery petards.
    Worlds smallest violin for bozos like Harry Cole, a man who is quite literally a cuck for the Prime Minister.
    Coles's ex
    Its the whole of the media / politics scene.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,092

Leon said:

It seems i am the only PB-er who has actually been to St Kilda? Because I can definitely confirm that photo is not of St Kilda, it doesn’t look anything like that. The angle of the slopes is all wrong, the vegetation is wrong, and, moreover, even on the calmest day you’d be in a life jacket, because Kilda is dangerous. She’s wearing a summer dress and he’s in a light jacket FFS

My guess is the Caribbean on a cloudy day

As (apparently) the resident PB St Kilda expert perhaps you could suggest a good point on N.Uist from which to view the islands?
    Ooh. Good question

But I have never been to Uist so I don’t know!

I can well believe it is visible tho because once, on Harris, I was told that if you climbed a hill on the western coast you could - on a clear day, and with a lot of luck - see Kilda. The next day the sky cleared, for a few hours, and I climbed the hill, and I saw St Kilda.

It’s a wonderful sight. Soaring distant black peaks in churning sea. Impossibly romantic - and then you learn the history….
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Re: People Before Profit, just noticed that Fermanagh and South Tyrone, both they AND the Cros-Community Labour Alternative ran one candidate each. Dónal Ó Cofaigh (CCLA) got 602, and Emmett Kilpatrick (PBP) received 103.

You could say they were running against each other HOWEVER that's NOT really true under STV, and considering there were 5 seats being contested. Unfortunately, both eliminated at first opportunity along with several other also-rans, so no way to determine precisely how 1st preference votes for each candidate transferred (or not) to subsequent count.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

You have clearly forgotten that Ed Miliband and Ed Balls both laid down with the same woman: Stephanie Flanders, the journalist from newsnight (with whom I once went abseiling in Oman, bizarrely)

Cliques form on all sides of politics
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    Meanwhile, a final recount from the London Borough of Havering has seen the Conservatives take three seats from the Independent Residents Association.

So the final scores there are:

Con 23 (-2)
    Res 23 (+1) (made up of 18(+4) Normal Residents, 3 Backed-the-Conservatives-last-time Residents, 2(-3) Independent Residents)
    Lab 9 (+4)
    Ind 0 (-2)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,350

kjh said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I am on way back north, my meeting in the Bucks countryside being over (very close to Chequers as it happens), having driven down this morning. I am having the largest strongest coffee I can stomach and find that Sir Keir has laid down the gauntlet. Good for him!

Those Covid lockdown rules are having a hell of an after-life.

I assume nothing else has happened - like Putin declaring war on us or anything.

I am currently listening to Mary Beard read her book "Twelve Caesars". I thought it would tell me about the Roman Emperors and what they did. But no. It's all about how they've been portrayed in art. At best it could have amounted to a 30 minute podcast. Instead of which it is endless chapter after endless chapter saying that

1. Suetonius made up a lot of what he wrote.
    2. No-one really knows what Julius Caesar or others looked like.
    3. Artists made it up.
    4. Aristocrats liked having busts of them in their house.
    5. Er .... that's it.

In TWELVE chapters. I don't think I've ever listened to anything so long and learned so little. In fact most of the time a I have no idea what she is talking about - it's like having a bath of warm words with occasional bubbles of names I recognise - Titian, Mantua, Charles 1st, Caligula etc.

My admiration for my daughter who did a classics degree has increased significantly if this is what her lectures were like.

That's a shame, as it's literally the next book on my reading pile (though I go in knowing it is about imagery).

I could see a little of that party pooping tendency in her book SPQR, when talking about ancient battles and essentially going 'Things would have been far too chaotic for people to really know what was going on, so most of the detail we hear about, say, Cannae, is probably wrong' without really offering up any insight about that. I did enjoy the parts pointing out how the Roman foundational myths are really quite unusual in some ways (an unnecessary twin, outsides and outcasts founding the place etc)
    For those who have not seen it (and who care about the relative merits of Greece vs Rome) here is Mary Beard in a 90-minute debate against Boris Johnson.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k448JqQyj8
    Doesn't seem like a fair fight, one the face of it. She generally knows what she's talking about.
    An academic expert in their field vs a former journalist and MP who did classics at univeristy 30 years before and likes it is presumably designed as an entertainment event not an even intellectual contest.

But did he win?
    Johnson has also had books published about Rome and presented TV shows on the subject.

Erich von Daniken also had books published about ancient history. Dunno about TV, mind.
    Apparently he is still alive - and probably very happy about how much TV and movie material seems inspired by or influenced by his ideals. People love ancient astronaut theory.

I remember Paul Merton joking about how the answer was always No to Erich's questions.

Could this be a UFO from the 12th century? No

Could this be a landing platform for an alien scacecraft? No

Could this... "No, no no"
    He seems very happy when he's on Ancient Allens. Given the US are paying to study UAPs and have conceded one possibility is they are of non terrestrial origin then its no leap at all to their having been visiting since human records exist. The possibility of human interaction with aliens is somewhat beyond cheesy 'and finally' stories about stereotypical yokels in backwoods America now
    Not only is it not a leap, but it would be far more plausible that if UAPs are ET origin, that they have been here for a very long time rather than pitching up only recently. Unless you think nuke testing is some special intergalactic marker at a quantum level and the speed of light has been conquered, allowing them to get here toute de suite after 1945.

Ergo, if UAPs are indeed non terrestrial, then the thrust of the ancient aliens theory is probably right, if not of course the finer detail about Pharaohs being aliens or whatever it was. A self replicating autonomous Von Neumann probe might have been indifferently monitoring Earth since time immemorial. Not intervening but quietly cataloguing, feeding back info to a central hub on behalf of a civilisation long ago lost to time.
    It's very much all in or not at all, yes.
    Although speed of light isn't really an issue, I'd imagine any interstellar travel isn't done by actually traversing the empty space between two star systems.
    I’m aware it makes you sound like a Kubrick obsessive to say so but if you accept that a) UAP are intelligently controlled and non human, b) have likely been here a very long time, then c) there is strong merit in serious academic study into the cloudy past of human evolution and the cognitive revolution.

I would start by looking for non natural patterns and changes over millennia in junk DNA, the portion of our genetic code that does not have an obvious physiological function, making it presumably fairly stable against mutations that stick thanks to conferring no evolutionary advantage. Chances are there’s nothing to find of course. But it would still be worth allocating a small drop of the sea of money humans spend on nonsense every year.
    To tie several threads together, the mayor of Sanliurfa is claiming that Gobekli Tepe and the Tas Tepeler were indeed crested by aliens. Probably with blue eyes, and six fingers, so definitely related to the Smithsons

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/gobeklitepe-may-be-made-by-aliens-says-mayor-173262
    Nah, they were made by humans. Just because it was 11,600 years ago doesn't mean they lacked the know-how (and the inclination).
    Explain the six fingers then? And the entire thrust of that brilliant article on the Spectator, which has been their Most Read article for 36 hours?

It’s fuckin aliens. The mayor of Urfa is bang on
    What are the latest expert views on why it came to be buried? Naturally or by man? If the latter, is there another likely explanation beyond preservation?
    Quite brilliantly - no one has a fucking clue

In his novel The Genesis Secret, Tom Knox presents the theory that they buried the temples as an act of propitiatory shame, as they felt punished by the Gods for having gone from hunter gathering to farming, with all the stress that came with this revolution, and the distancing from other species. The Gods seemed angry and demanded a sacrifice, so the builders of the Tas Tepeler sacrificed the greatest possession of all, these amazing structures - the same way Celtic warriors would throw precious swords into the Thames 8,000 years later, to appease the heavens

It’s as good a theory as any

Why else would they do it. To hide it? From whom? It’s a superb mystery
    Who the hell is Tom Knox? (I know really)
    Does he write for the Beano?
    He hasn't written anything in the past decade. He's no SK Tremayne, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

You have clearly forgotten that Ed Miliband and Ed Balls both laid down with the same woman: Stephanie Flanders, the journalist from newsnight (with whom I once went abseiling in Oman, bizarrely)

"abseiling in Oman"

Similar in any way to "Singapore gripping"?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,976

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Who sez that the younger royals are neither use nor ornament? Bit miffed that BJ & co think Scotland is so much in the bag that they don't need to send the duchess to live in Edinburgh.

I'm sure Charles can go, being Duke of Edinburgh now.
    Duke of Rothesay.
    That one too, but he'd had that for 70 years, the Edinburgh one is shiny and new, to provide a reason to renew his relationship with the country etc etc.
    Merge the two titles and create a super new Scottish title like the Duke of Glasgae.
    Duke of Harthill, symbolising that magical point where East meets West in the central belt.
    Once worked over in Breich, near Harthill. Mighty grim up there on the moors.
    There’s a reason Breich rhymes with dreich. 🌧❄️💨
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It seems i am the only PB-er who has actually been to St Kilda? Because I can definitely confirm that photo is not of St Kilda, it doesn’t look anything like that. The angle of the slopes is all wrong, the vegetation is wrong, and, moreover, even on the calmest day you’d be in a life jacket, because Kilda is dangerous. She’s wearing a summer dress and he’s in a light jacket FFS

As (apparently) the resident PB St Kilda expert perhaps you could suggest a good point on N.Uist from which to view the islands?
    Ooh. Good question

I can well believe it is visible tho because once, on Harris, I was told that if you climbed a hill on the western coast you could - on a clear day, and with a lot of luck - see Kilda. The next day the sky cleared, for a few hours, and I climbed the hill, and I saw St Kilda.

It’s a wonderful sight. Soaring distant black peaks in churning sea. Impossibly romantic - and then you learn the history….
    You really Uist don't know?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,206
    nico679 said:

Yep. Imagine trying to pressure the police. https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1523777296657977344
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,625

nico679 said:

They aren't really comparable. As a ball park Guardian cf Telegraph, Mirror cf Express. The Mail is in a league of its own for being despicable.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,052
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Good question

If you were in South Harris it would probably be the hill/peninsula past Northton (which is confusingly more westerly), it’s a fantastic shortish walk on a clear day.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    nico679 said:

Ukraine was never going to be sped into the EU, and quite right too.

A smart UK would be trying to figure out an institutional architecture for EU refuseniks or can’t-get-in-niks (EFTA, Switzerland, Ukraine, maybe even Turkey and Israel) to be able to secure access the single market without forfeiting sovereignty to the ECJ.

The Macron proposals were quite interesting in allowing a form of looser membership and this would allow Ukraine to join that much more quickly before full membership .
    He basically wants to relegate the Eastern European member states to second class status. France doesn't want pro-American peripheral states influencing their foreign policy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

The Prince of Wales has no constitutional right or precedent to represent the Queen at tomorrow’s Opening of Parliament, apparently.

It feels like HMQ might not have very long left with us and a "transition" is from her to Charles is very quietly taking place?
    I think her mobility issues are from osteoporotic spinal collapse with trapped nerves. Not terminal, but painful and difficult to move or sit comfortably, and probably very uncomfortable to wear the heavy formal costume.
    "The Prince of Wales has no constitutional right or precedent to represent the Queen at tomorrow’s Opening of Parliament, apparently."

who said that?

I don't think that is correct. they've activated the council of state which is designed for temp absences of sovereign.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

nico679 said:

Ukraine was never going to be sped into the EU, and quite right too.

A smart UK would be trying to figure out an institutional architecture for EU refuseniks or can’t-get-in-niks (EFTA, Switzerland, Ukraine, maybe even Turkey and Israel) to be able to secure access the single market without forfeiting sovereignty to the ECJ.

The Macron proposals were quite interesting in allowing a form of looser membership and this would allow Ukraine to join that much more quickly before full membership .
    He basically wants to relegate the Eastern European member states to second class status. France doesn't want pro-American peripheral states influencing their foreign policy.
    A two speed EU might well be anathema to the whole project and its aims, but could well be popular and a way to secure influence? Some seem like they'd be happy with a looser arrangement, but equally once in nations might well drift further into the top tier.

Not happening though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Good question

If you were in South Harris it would probably be the hill/peninsula past Northton (which is confusingly more westerly), it’s a fantastic shortish walk on a clear day.
    Sounds about right. Harris is glorious

I saw Kilda for about 30 seconds, but it is unmistakable once you know it. So sheer, and the sea stacks around it are even more precipitous, Amazing, I am getting slight tingles even thinking about it

Probably time for me to turn in, and watch Frontier (a drama about the Hudson’s Bay Company - and actually quite good - lots of punchy brawling Scots and evil English redcoats: you’d like it ;) )

Night night PB
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Moving and sitting both painful? Doesn't leave many other options.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

"The Prince of Wales has no constitutional right or precedent to represent the Queen at tomorrow’s Opening of Parliament, apparently."

who said that?

I don't think that is correct. they've activated the council of state which is designed for temp absences of sovereign.

From the Telegraph

However, it is the first time Letters Patent have been used to hand the responsibility to another member of the Royal family. It was authorised by Her Majesty to specifically cover the State Opening, delegating the royal function of opening a new session of Parliament to Counsellors of State.

The move will be interpreted as a significant shift in the Prince of Wales's responsibilities as heir to the throne. The Duke of Cambridge will accompany him, in his capacity as Counsellor of State.

No other functions have been delegated by the Queen. The Duchess of Cornwall will also attend but is not a Counsellor of State.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

I've been to St Kilda too. Would have loved to have stayed overnight, but not even sure whether that's possible.
    Bit of a risk because a lot of the tourist boats gets cancelled, so a 1 night stay could end up being a 1 week stay.

Did you hear the story of the people gathering eggs up one of the stacks who got stranded when smallpox hit the "main" island? Were spotted by the taxman in the end. HMRC is a force for good.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’ve also been to St. Kilda. It’s not a place to visit without being dressed for wild weather.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’ve also been to St. Kilda. It’s not a place to visit without being dressed for wild weather.
    Agreed, but I was blessed with superb weather when I went. Proper sweating heat. Bit of a nip up the top of the hill, but down in the valley where the cleitean are dense it was sunbathing weather.
  • Options

moonshine said:

GIN1138 said:

Palace always tight lipped and rightly so, but it feels like an end game right now. Not convinced she’ll make the Christmas message this year.
    She needs to outlast Boris and Louis XIV.
    Then I can die a happy man.
    I have been softening up my kid for London Bridge, given how barmy the country is likely to go. “The queen is a very old lady, when she dies we will have a King etc…”.
    My daughter is 7.

I mention the Queen occasionally so that London Bridge will have some meaning for her, and she’ll be able to carry that memory into her own old age.
    Wow, maybe the old Scotland / England divide but I don’t believe I have ever spent one second talking to either of my children about the royal family.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

However, it is the first time Letters Patent have been used to hand the responsibility to another member of the Royal family. It was authorised by Her Majesty to specifically cover the State Opening, delegating the royal function of opening a new session of Parliament to Counsellors of State.

The move will be interpreted as a significant shift in the Prince of Wales's responsibilities as heir to the throne. The Duke of Cambridge will accompany him, in his capacity as Counsellor of State.

No other functions have been delegated by the Queen. The Duchess of Cornwall will also attend but is not a Counsellor of State.
    That sounds exactly how the council of state is meant to function and does not represent some new constitutional arrangement.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

Seems pretty uncontentious. Precedents are created from time to time, sounds like a clarification or extension of what was previously potential responsibility, not detailed or considered as it was unnecessary.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

That sounds exactly how the council of state is meant to function and does not represent some new constitutional arrangement.

I withdraw my suggestion, which to be fair I picked up from an angry Trot on Twitter.
  • Options

moonshine said:

GIN1138 said:

Palace always tight lipped and rightly so, but it feels like an end game right now. Not convinced she’ll make the Christmas message this year.
    I have been softening up my kid for London Bridge, given how barmy the country is likely to go. “The queen is a very old lady, when she dies we will have a King etc…”.
    My daughter is 7.

I mention the Queen occasionally so that London Bridge will have some meaning for her, and she’ll be able to carry that memory into her own old age.
    Wow, maybe the old Scotland / England divide but I don’t believe I have ever spent one second talking to either of my children about the royal family.
    I think you'd find most English parents never have either.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

Seems pretty uncontentious. Precedents are created from time to time, sounds like a clarification or extension of what was previously potential responsibility, not detailed or considered as it was unnecessary.
    I don't see what the precedent being created is supposed to be. The council of state has been around since at least the 1930s.
  • Options

moonshine said:

GIN1138 said:

My daughter is 7.

You’re missing out.

There’s nothing the Walker family like more than sitting down to one of my “It’s a Royal Knockout” VHSs.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

I withdraw my suggestion, which to be fair I picked up from an angry Trot on Twitter.
    Fair enough.

What the Prince of Wales can't do is attend on his own. The council has to have quorum of two - hence William being on hand. I guess they decided it was stupid for them to take it in turns to read the text.
  • Options

Imagine the reaction if Le Pen had won and then given a speech saying that Putin shouldn't be humiliated and Ukraine would have to wait decades to join the EU.

IDK but he's right about Ukraine not joining the EU. No way is it ready.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Good question

I saw Kilda for about 30 seconds, but it is unmistakable once you know it. So sheer, and the sea stacks around it are even more precipitous, Amazing, I am getting slight tingles even thinking about it

Probably time for me to turn in, and watch Frontier (a drama about the Hudson’s Bay Company - and actually quite good - lots of punchy brawling Scots and evil English redcoats: you’d like it ;) )

Night night PB
    Take a boat out from Leverburgh in South Harris someday, if you can. You won’t regret it. After landing in Village Bay (by dinghy transfer, to avoid the risk of rats getting ashore), you get a few hours ashore. The return journey takes you via Boreray and the Stacs. You are recommended to allow a three day window, to allow for suitable sailing conditions.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,052
    Tiny smidgeon of info on Newsnight re the Victory parade in Moscow which I’d noticed myself, that there was very little official use of the Z symbol. I wonder if Putin still wants to preserve a formal version of Russia while keeping the shitposting Russia going, and what that implies?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,557
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Moving and sitting both painful? Doesn't leave many other options.
    Yes, it’s not a nice thing to have.
  • Options
    So I look up Cousellors of State and I see it is Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

Crazy that Harry and Andrew still have some kind of constitutional role.

Apparently Harry would be ineligible if he was no longer domiciled in the UK (handing over, per the succession, to Beatrice), but “in Feb 22 he renewed his lease on Frogmore Cottage”.

Smellier than Keir’s curry!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

who said that?

From the Telegraph

Fair enough.

What the Prince of Wales can't do is attend on his own. The council has to have quorum of two - hence William being on hand. I guess they decided it was stupid for them to take it in turns to read the text.
    What would happen if William objected? :D
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

Tiny smidgeon of info on Newsnight re the Victory parade in Moscow which I’d noticed myself, that there was very little official use of the Z symbol. I wonder if Putin still wants to preserve a formal version of Russia while keeping the shitposting Russia going, and what that implies?

Z for Zelensky! :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Yes, and no mention of declaring war or mobilisation suggests no desire to ramp things up further. I think he is now looking for a way out without total humiliation, at least in the eyes of his own nation. He has shat his bed in the rest of the developed world.
  • Options

"Z" = "New Coke" of this millennium
  • Options

So I look up Cousellors of State and I see it is Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

Apparently Harry would be ineligible if he was no longer domiciled in the UK (handing over, per the succession, to Beatrice), but “in Feb 22 he renewed his lease on Frogmore Cottage”.

So Harry's a non-non-dom?
  • Options

NEW COKE WAS GOOD

Also, it was around well into this millennium
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,258
    edited May 2022

But all that Counsellors of State are is the people to whom the Monarch CAN delegate functions. By law, they are the four people highest in the order of succession over the age of 21.

So they only have a constitutional role if the Queen delegates functions to them - and she has only, in fact, delegated functions to Princes Charles and William.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

So Harry's a non-non-dom?
    I trust he is paying the full upper tax rate and National Insurance besides on those Netflix deals.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ooh. Good question

Night night PB
    Take a boat out from Leverburgh in South Harris someday, if you can. You won’t regret it. After landing in Village Bay (by dinghy transfer, to avoid the risk of rats getting ashore), you get a few hours ashore. The return journey takes you via Boreray and the Stacs. You are recommended to allow a three day window, to allow for suitable sailing conditions.
    I’ve been there and done it. I actually got sunburned on Kilda. A rare lovely day. And I saw a hoopoe

I was planning to camp for a couple of days but then abandoned the idea on advice. As we departed the island that evening two campers climbed on our boat and told us they’d been stuck there for many days. They looked utterly haggard and brutalised
  • Options
    edited May 2022

But all that Counsellors of State are is the people to whom the Monarch CAN delegate functions. By law, they are the four people highest in the order of succession over the age of 21.

So they only have a constitutional role if the Queen delegates functions to them - and she has only, in fact, delegated functions to Princes Charles and William.
    Sure, but interesting nonetheless.
    Their role may be contingent, but it is real nonetheless.

It’s also a reminder how thin the talent base is. Who the hell wants Harry or Andrew or Beatrice on the hook to carry out regnal responsibilities in the event of some Tom Clancy style incapacitation?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I think we will find out lots about the immense contribution made by Queen Elizabeth II in the future.

Like: she was almost singlehandedly responsible for the successful transition from the Empire to the Commonwealth and personally for preserving well over a dozen Commonwealth Realms into the 21st Century. She also gave a huge boost to the projection of British soft power on the European, US and global stage through the respect and admiration she commanded.

Never let it be said that monarchs are 'just' figureheads.

Given the number of places that clearly want to be Republics yet are holding off (apparently not presently willing to follow Barbados in this) there must be some personal element involved.

Many things, people or actions are symbolic - but symbols have power.
    Do we know they want to be republics? Surely if they wanted it that much they would now be republics?

Anyway, republics are shit and boring. You either have a political and divisive President (France /USA) or one that no-one ever hears about or knows (Ireland/Germany).

Monarchs are better but there are rules you have to play by. They fall when their egos get the better of them, as ours would have done post WWII during the Attlee administration had Edward VIII not abdicated.
    Looking at the list of realms ruled by Glorious Britain, sorry, voluntary members of the regnal Commonwealth, they are:

“Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu.”

Of those I’d say Oz, Jamaica and Belize are the most likely to go, first. But there is a question mark over all of them. For Oz it’s just an arse-ache - why bother if you are such a successful country, and this is source of stability? - for the other two it’s the opposite. Do you really need the extra INstability?

I think it's only been me and you on here who've, consistently, argued for the monarchy. Perhaps backed by a handful of others.

As you rightly said: most pb.com posters are number nerds who are somewhat on the spectrum and simply don't 'get' the powerful emotional reasonance and symbolism of the monarchy, nor why it's so valuable.
    When we're talking about matters of emotional resonance, the people disagreeing with you aren't "not getting it". They just disagree. But to imply that their subjective view is the result of a diagnosable condition is way off. Come on.
    Republicanism is heavily overrepresented on here compared to the population at large.

That is the reason, together with some misplaced sense of intellectual superiority.
    Overrepresented, underrepresented, that's not the point. FWIW I agree it's overrepresented here. But to call it a symptom of autism if bafflingly stupid.

As for feeling like you're on the wrong end of someone's sense of intellectual superiority, you probably experience that a lot but it's probably never misplaced.
  • Options

Imagine the reaction if Le Pen had won and then given a speech saying that Putin shouldn't be humiliated and Ukraine would have to wait decades to join the EU.

The opinion in war devastated Kharkiv (read the whole thread).

https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1523590183975022592
    I ask @NatalieZubar how long she thinks war will last. "We're 40km from the Russian border," she says. "This will not stop until #Russia is demilitarized."
    "Well that's not going to happen surely," I reply.
    "there are a lot of people here in #ukraine who want to give it a try."
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

Not at the same time one hopes…
  • Options

It’s also a reminder how thin the talent base is. Who the hell wants Harry or Andrew or Beatrice on the hook to carry out regnal responsibilities in the event of some Tom Clancy style incapacitation?
    I'm no monarchist, but their role isn't "real". Being eligible to be appointed to a position isn't a role. I'm eligible to be appointed as Governor of the Bank of England, but it's hardly likely.
  • Options
    Some restitution, 90 years later, for the absurd disgrace of the award to Walter Duranty …

https://twitter.com/ngumenyuk/status/1523772892307390464
    I spent last days with a group of 🇺🇦 journos:one–abducted,tortured in Kakhovka;another escaped Kherson threatened;lived under shelling in Severodonetsk;flats of 2 ‘re bombed in Chernihiv&Kharkiv. Today there’re funeral of another in Kyiv.Solidarity matters.
    Thanks @PulitzerPrizes
  • Options
    Good God, Dan Hodges has still been at it in the past hour, making an absolute fool of himself on Twitter.
  • Options

True, but is he wrong?

I know we'd all like to see Putin in the Hague, or hung up on a lamppost or whatever. But we need to look at a realistic exit strategy.

The difference between Macron and Le Pen is that he can credibly do that without the assumption being that he's in Putin's pocket due to financial links, and can do it as a key figure in the EU rather than a pariah.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited May 2022

Beatrice would be OK, at the end of the day all a constitutional monarch has to do now is look reasonably good, go around opening and visiting things, review the troops occasionally at Trooping the Colour, have jubilees and a coronation, host some world leaders and visit some countries, hold garden parties, open Parliament and put their signature to laws passed by Parliament.

You don't need to be particularly bright or talented to do it just willing to do it
  • Options

Z for Zelensky! :lol:
    Not only did Ukraine manage to election their sole competent President just in time for the invasion, but one with a name easily pronounced by anglophones!

Proof to me, that God watches over more than just drunks, little children and the United States of America.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2022

True, but is he wrong?

I know we'd all like to see Putin in the Hague, or hung up on a lamppost or whatever. But we need to look at a realistic exit strategy.

The difference between Macron and Le Pen is that he can credibly do that without the assumption being that he's in Putin's pocket due to financial links, and can do it as a key figure in the EU rather than a pariah.
    How’s this for an exit strategy? Destroy their conventional military and leave their economy so weakened, that they are forced to barter away most of their nukes in exchange for US financial aid rather keep the pretence they can afford to keep them all functional. What is Pour Encourger Les Autres in mandarin?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,795
    I’m beginning to think we could see an alien land in Hyde Park and the Hate Mail will still be leading on beergate day 1737 .

As for Dan Hodges , he seems to be having a meltdown because his putrid paper has screwed up and rather than saving “ the special one” they’ve now made life very difficult for him .
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,625

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

What having sex while abseiling?
  • Options

True, but is he wrong?

It’s a bit early to be talking about ‘realistic exit strategies’ while the Russians are still advancing. The invasion has to be defeated, and it’s hard to see that as anything but a humiliation for Putin.
    And that’s a very long way from ‘seeing him in the Hague’.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    nico679 said:

I’m beginning to think we could see an alien land in Hyde Park and the Hate Mail will still be leading on beergate day 1737 .

As for Dan Hodges , he seems to be having a meltdown because his putrid paper has screwed up and rather than saving “ the special one” they’ve now made life very difficult for him .

HYUFD said:

Beatrice would be OK, at the end of the day all a constitutional monarch has to do now is look reasonably good, go around opening and visiting things, review the troops occasionally at Trooping the Colour, have jubilees and a coronation, host some world leaders and visit some countries, hold garden parties, open Parliament and put their signature to laws passed by Parliament.

You don't need to be particularly bright or talented to do it just willing to do it
    Dumb comment.
    It turns out that even a constitutional monarch has to not fuck up.

So that rules out Harry and Andrew, even if they were “willing to do it”.
  • Options
    Also, there’s this line of argument to consider, which doesn’t seem to enter the somewhat transactional worldview suggested by Macron’s comments.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/autocracy-could-destroy-democracy-russia-ukraine/629363/
    … But we can go much further, because there is no reason for any company, property, or trust ever to be held anonymously. Every U.S. state, and every democratic country, should immediately make all ownership transparent. Tax havens should be illegal. The only people who need to keep their houses, businesses, and income secret are crooks and tax cheats.

We need a dramatic and profound shift in our energy consumption, and not only because of climate change. The billions of dollars we have sent to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia have promoted some of the worst and most corrupt dictators in the world. The transition from oil and gas to other energy sources needs to happen with far greater speed and decisiveness. Every dollar spent on Russian oil helps fund the artillery that fires on Ukrainian civilians.

Take democracy seriously. Teach it, debate it, improve it, defend it. Maybe there is no natural liberal world order, but there are liberal societies, open and free countries that offer a better chance for people to live useful lives than closed dictatorships do. They are hardly perfect; our own has deep flaws, profound divisions, terrible historical scars. But that’s all the more reason to defend and protect them…
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Dumb comment.

Why? Neither have been convicted of a criminal offence and are also capable of doing all the job criteria I listed.

Though Harry is only 6th in line of succession and Andrew only 9th now
  • Options
    Shit we’re only now learning as Trump’s acolytes get their book deals, part 124…

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1523667326062981121
    Of all the vile plots Trump secretly hatched in the White House that we’re just learning of now, one of the most shocking to me is his plan to close all embassies in Africa and end diplomacy with that whole continent…
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Farooq said:

NEW COKE WAS GOOD

Also, it was around well into this millennium
    Apparently, well preserved cans of New Coke go for serious sums on eBay.

(Or so my eleven year old son tells me.)
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

That’s actually kinda fun
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

Also no need to pack any flint dildo(s) IF need be just embrace nearest rock "face"
  • Options
    Crickey squeaky bum time....not Boris or Starmer, I only got Wordle on my last guess!
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Coles's ex

Also no need to pack any flint dildo(s) IF need be just embrace nearest rock "face"
    Bend the legs and… squeeze
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,160
    moonshine said:

True, but is he wrong?

How’s this for an exit strategy? Destroy their conventional military and leave their economy so weakened, that they are forced to barter away most of their nukes in exchange for US financial aid rather keep the pretence they can afford to keep them all functional. What is Pour Encourger Les Autres in mandarin?
    The problem there is national humiliation breeds contempt and anger. Germany after WW1 and Russia after the wall fell. Best not to try it again.

A change of regime and a seat in the dock at the Hague would be useful nonetheless.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

moonshine said:

True, but is he wrong?

The problem there is national humiliation breeds contempt and anger. Germany after WW1 and Russia after the wall fell. Best not to try it again.

A change of regime and a seat in the dock at the Hague would be useful nonetheless.
    When you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will surely follow.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Didn't Starmer say at PMQs that Boris should resign just for being investigated. So Starmer should resign for being investigated.

The Daily Mirror encouraged the Met to investigate Boris and the Daily Mail encouraged Durham to investigate Starmer. The two poice forces should exchange notes to ensure they are using the same criteria to judge if a fixed penalty notice applies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Dumb comment.

Why? Neither have been convicted of a criminal offence and are also capable of doing all the job criteria I listed.

Though Harry is only 6th in line of succession and Andrew only 9th now
    Prince Andrew paid several million quid to a woman who said he had sexually abused her as an underage girl. In earlier trying to clear his name, he gave one of the great car crash interviews of all time, which he came out of thinking he had triumphed. His financial dealings have regularly been more than controversial, his behaviour boorish, and his comments ill-advised.

None of that is a conviction for a criminal offence, but the man is (putting it mildly) a total prick, and completely incapable of doing any role that involves not f***ing up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Shit we’re only now learning as Trump’s acolytes get their book deals, part 124…

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1523667326062981121
    Of all the vile plots Trump secretly hatched in the White House that we’re just learning of now, one of the most shocking to me is his plan to close all embassies in Africa and end diplomacy with that whole continent…

To obvious benefit of China as well as Russia. Two paymasters? Or rather highly influential donors, one way or another?

Foreign policy via influence peddling.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    Labour gained 7 seats from the Tories in Redbridge. Just checked the figures and the Labour share of the vote was up by a whopping 0.1%, and the Tory vote was only down 4%. The vagaries of FPTP elections.
  • Options

Who sez that the younger royals are neither use nor ornament? Bit miffed that BJ & co think Scotland is so much in the bag that they don't need to send the duchess to live in Edinburgh.

Why is a border poll something to fear? Let them have one, and accept the result whatever it is.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,350
    Andy_JS said:

Why is a border poll something to fear? Let them have one, and accept the result whatever it is.
    I'm not convinced Sinn Fein will be rushing to a border poll until they've a fair chance of winning.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,632
    carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

There’s Matt Pritchett - and then there’s all the other cartoonists, some way behind.
    According to Private Eye, he’s on 650k, comfortably more than the editor.
    And apparently every new editor is told that if they lose Matt Pritchett they lose their own job too.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

There’s Matt Pritchett - and then there’s all the other cartoonists, some way behind.
    According to Private Eye, he’s on 650k, comfortably more than the editor.
    And apparently every new editor is told that if they lose Matt Pritchett they lose their own job too.
    He is genius, but given it can now be instantly shared across the internet for free, what is the upside for the Telegraph these days?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Another London council with an interesting result in terms of popular vote share.

Merton:

Lab 38.5%
    Con 23.9%
    LD 23.6%
    Grn 11.0%

Changes since 2018

Lab -5.9%
    Con -5.8%
    LD +8.9%
    Grn +4.4%
This discussion has been closed.