Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

ITV News: “46 CON MPs might have sent confidence vote letters” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Surely only the Irish could have a warship called the "George Bernard Shaw"?

The "Samuel Beckett" class also includes the "William Butler Yeats", and the "James Joyce". Rather sweet.

https://twitter.com/RNinScotland/status/1518573823444013058

Mind, the entire Irish Navy has a complement of just over 1,000 officers and ratings. One of the benefits of being contiguous to a nuclear-armed G7 NATO member.

The latest RN warship class naming scheme is completely convoluted - modern marketing colliding with RN tradition and history and the latter rather sinking ...
    As you're on, what should the ships in the prospective Indy Scottish fleet be called? Obviously the "Rabbie Burns". But, who else?

Sir Walter was a unionist as was Buchan. Not sure about RLS. Maybe the "Irvine Welsh" and the "Hugh MacDiarmid"?
    Cochrane
    Duncan of Camperdown
    Forth
    Clyde
    Caledonia
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

to name a few at random

but if you want writers, plenty of others to choose from.
    Thew MalcG? Would be a fearsome vessel, firing red-hot turnips.
    When I sailed into Dublin on an Irish tall ship, we fired a potato cannon at a German tall ship that was in harbour. ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The "Samuel Beckett" class also includes the "William Butler Yeats", and the "James Joyce". Rather sweet.

Mind, the entire Irish Navy has a complement of just over 1,000 officers and ratings. One of the benefits of being contiguous to a nuclear-armed G7 NATO member.

The latest RN warship class naming scheme is completely convoluted - modern marketing colliding with RN tradition and history and the latter rather sinking ...
    As you're on, what should the ships in the prospective Indy Scottish fleet be called? Obviously the "Rabbie Burns". But, who else?

Sir Walter was a unionist as was Buchan. Not sure about RLS. Maybe the "Irvine Welsh" and the "Hugh MacDiarmid"?
    Cochrane
    Duncan of Camperdown
    Forth
    Clyde
    Caledonia
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

to name a few at random

Not very fearsome, as it would be completely intellectually rudderless, always easily outmanoeuvred due to it's dull predictability and terrible to sail on as it is always full of shit
    That, Mr F, is a tad on the unkind side!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Thought this was a parody.

It explains so much of the mess we are in. If you are a homeowner, life has challenges but is still fundamentally fairly peachy. If you aren't, well- good luck.

And any fiddling with tax rates, fuel bills or anything else is tiny in comparison.
    Yup because homeowners have been given the homes for free years ago without any savings or sacrifices on their part and anyone who says otherwise is just Tory scum. There you go. Happy now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

BREWIS

"Pour boiling water on a crust of bread; pour the water off and it is ready; season with salt and pepper. Serve in a breakfast cup and eat with a spoon"

"Good Things in England", Florence White, 1932

Bread and water. Just deserts for voting Tory.
    Ramsay McDonald was PM in '32.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Carnyx said:

The carriers should have been Ark Royal and Invincible but the QE and PoW names were artfully selected to make cancellation politically difficult.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BREWIS

"Pour boiling water on a crust of bread; pour the water off and it is ready; season with salt and pepper. Serve in a breakfast cup and eat with a spoon"

"Good Things in England", Florence White, 1932

Bread and water. Just deserts for voting Tory.
    Ramsay McDonald was PM in '32.
    He was National then, though. Not Real Labour
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited April 2022

We have a capital ship named the Prince of Wales, a title that covers a not generally impressive series of blokes. Thankfully there's no longer an HMS Duke of York..
  • Options
    TimmycoolTimmycool Posts: 13

Leon said:

Do we have any Alabama experts on the board today?

I have one day here in the far north west bit. Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals. By the mighty Tennessee River

I was gonna hike the river or some canyons.... but it's decided to rain. Heavily (the first day of bad weather after a week of pure sun - which returns tomorrow, huzzah)

Things To Do In Alabama When It Rains. Are there any? I thought of driving to Alabama's Most Depressing Town, say Selma, or Bessemer, to indulge in a day of Full on Feasting on American Declinism, but are they that bad? I want BAD. I want Mississippi BAD. Detroit BAD. Shuttered streets, empty factories, fentanyl addicts, desolate malls, maybe a rich Woke student shouting at poor white people about their privilege - in the rain.

Where can I get that?

Quick YouTube (there are channels dedicated to driving the "hood" of these kind of places), Bessemer looks pretty bad. Worst of those kind of places I have been, Gary, Indiana.
    Gary, Indiana at one point was the murder capital of the US. You are right, FU, it is a horrible little town on the Southwest corner of Lake Michigan. So depressing. Stopped once on the way from Chicago to Warsaw, Indiana and my hosts were amazed I'd gotten out alive!!!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    felix said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cochrane
    Duncan of Camperdown
    Forth
    Clyde
    Caledonia
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

to name a few at random

Not very fearsome, as it would be completely intellectually rudderless, always easily outmanoeuvred due to it's dull predictability and terrible to sail on as it is always full of shit
    It would be cheap - running on turnip juice!
    Caledonia and Edinburgh might not be optimal.

Hitler renamed the "Deutschland" to the "Lutzow" to guard against potential morale damage if it was sunk; it was. See Moskva :smile: .
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Scott_xP said:

Of all the migrants and asylum seekers I spoke to in Calais and Dunkirk, none of them are deterred by Priti Patel’s policy of sending illegal arrivals to Rwanda

Many different stories from people from very different backgrounds, but all with one goal: 1/9

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/threat-of-africa-wont-stop-us-insist-dunkirk-camps-refugees-g7xrrb9q0

Err, sample selection bias?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I have one day here in the far north west bit. Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals. By the mighty Tennessee River

I was gonna hike the river or some canyons.... but it's decided to rain. Heavily (the first day of bad weather after a week of pure sun - which returns tomorrow, huzzah)

Things To Do In Alabama When It Rains. Are there any? I thought of driving to Alabama's Most Depressing Town, say Selma, or Bessemer, to indulge in a day of Full on Feasting on American Declinism, but are they that bad? I want BAD. I want Mississippi BAD. Detroit BAD. Shuttered streets, empty factories, fentanyl addicts, desolate malls, maybe a rich Woke student shouting at poor white people about their privilege - in the rain.

Where can I get that?

Looks like the area immediately to the west of Montgomery. Wilcox (Camden) and Perry (Marion) counties are to two poorest counties in the state and are adjacent to each other. Per capita income is $12,573 and $13,433 compared to $66,060 for the US as a whole.

Must be some real poverty in the backcountry there ...
    Can I prey on your wisdom once more?

At the end of this trip I have ten days spare when it is better for me to be out of the UK (long story, not as exciting as it sounds)

This road trip has been such fun I'm tempted to do another on my own dime. But where? I've seen the southwest deserts many times, so appealing as they are: no. I am sorely tempted by the Wyoming/Dakota area, all that natural spleandour, but the weather looks a bit cold, and I am enjoying the warmth. That also rules out the northern bits of New England like Maine which I have not seen

Which leaves more of the Deep South?

I am drawn to the Carolinas, nice mix of mountains, cities, poverty, wealth, coastline, history? Or is Georgia better? Virginia? Kentucky? Any thoughts? I want variety and history and a feel of remoteness on the backroads....
    Drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway, starting in Ashville NC where you can check out the faded glory of the Biltmore for a touch of decadence. Beautiful scenery, good food, great local music. Then proceed north. The Daniel Boone forest is a good diversion to see the back country.

This is SSI's original home turf. Check with him too.

PS You might enjoy the Woodrow Wilson Museum in Staunton, which is only a short diversion from the Parkway.
    Excellent, thanks

I just need the £ to stop collapsing, now
  • Options

It explains so much of the mess we are in. If you are a homeowner, life has challenges but is still fundamentally fairly peachy. If you aren't, well- good luck.

And any fiddling with tax rates, fuel bills or anything else is tiny in comparison.
    It’s also ridiculous.

Unless you sell the house you can’t realise the gain. So the idea it undoes CoL is absurd.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,440

Carnyx said:

Name the ships after the mountains - Ben Nevis, Ben MacDui, Braeriach, etc.
    A Hebridean of my acquaintance, when told of a boat named after a mountain, was semi-outraged. Not, apparently, the thing to do.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Eabhal said:

The sample are entirely from the target group for the policy

100% failure rate
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited April 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

The carriers should have been Ark Royal and Invincible but the QE and PoW names were artfully selected to make cancellation politically difficult.
    Indeed!

As\ for the Inspiration [sic] Class that I was complaining about, its naming has all the homogeneity of an explosion in a Jackson Pollock museum: were there really no other historic ships that could have been picked?

Venturer
    Bulldog
    Campbeltown
    Formidable
    Active

I do wonder what the matelots will think of serving in the Campbeltown in particular, since its RN prtedecessor was a shite ship - superannuated WW1 destroyer taken out of storage. Only famous for blowing itself up, at the "wrong" time too, as one of us commented the other day ...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Graun on PM in promises to root out culprit re Ms Rayner:

"Sky News has just broadcast the clip now. As he talks about the “terrors of the earth”, Johnson frowns, and looks serious, but hyperbole like this normally implies Johnson is exaggerating for comic effect. There is a risk that a quote intended to show he is taking this seriously could have the opposite effect.

As the Lib Dems have argued in the past, if Johnson is keen to root out people in the Conservative party who have expressed sexist views, other culprits are available."

From the distant perspective of Tuscumbia, Alabama, this looks like a load of kerpiffle about very little

It was a silly, stupid, faintly squalid story, but it not really malign Ms Rayner. It implied she is sexy, and it also implied Boris is such a pathetic lech he can be totally distracted by a middle aged woman with decent legs sitting ten feet away in a mildly short skirt. Boris was made to look worse in the article than Rayner

The Guardian reportage of the reportage was also odd. They talk about the Basic Instinct comparison, and they say "the movie is notorious for the scene where the suspect briefly reveals her vulva"

"Vulva"??

Where did they get that from? Is *vagina* now incorrect? Could this be a trans thingy thingy? Why not say genitals? Vee-jay-jay? Intimate parts? Loins? Groin?

Vulva??

Is that now the word We Must Use?
    https://www.o.school/article/what-is-your-vulva-what-are-the-parts-of-a-vagina
    Leon is crazy. Vulva has been around for decades
    Yeah, I had a big 240 Torslanda estate car in the early 1990s, and 140/240 estates had been available more or less unchanged since 1966.
  • Options

We have a capital ship named the Prince of Wales, a title that covers a not generally impressive series of blokes. Thankfully there's no longer an HMS Duke of York..
    We have to have an HMS Pansy...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Heartsease_(K15)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Looks like the area immediately to the west of Montgomery. Wilcox (Camden) and Perry (Marion) counties are to two poorest counties in the state and are adjacent to each other. Per capita income is $12,573 and $13,433 compared to $66,060 for the US as a whole.

At the end of this trip I have ten days spare when it is better for me to be out of the UK (long story, not as exciting as it sounds)

This road trip has been such fun I'm tempted to do another on my own dime. But where? I've seen the southwest deserts many times, so appealing as they are: no. I am sorely tempted by the Wyoming/Dakota area, all that natural spleandour, but the weather looks a bit cold, and I am enjoying the warmth. That also rules out the northern bits of New England like Maine which I have not seen

I am drawn to the Carolinas, nice mix of mountains, cities, poverty, wealth, coastline, history? Or is Georgia better? Virginia? Kentucky? Any thoughts? I want variety and history and a feel of remoteness on the backroads....
    I personally would recommend the Carolinas. You could do places like Asheville which very cool town with the Great Smoky Mountains via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Or do the coast, Savannah, Charleston, and up.
    Yes, others have recommended Asheville. Ta. That might be the answer!
    Very arty town and will find plenty of great food.

How are you finding the price inflation in restaurants? Mrs U normally spends several months a year in US and everybody is telling her she will get a terrible shock when she heads back over for work shortly. Prices through the roof compared to pre-pandemic.
    I haven't been paying my own way yet, or at least not much. I did notice that G&Ts in JFK were hideously pricey, but other than that I've been spared

However I have noted that accommodation in general is through the roof. Yes the £ is low at the moment, but it has been lower

But the days when you could get a decent roadside chain motel for a few bucks - nothing fancy, but safe clean and convenient - have gone. They are all north of $100, often a lot more (at least in the areas I am looking, ie not Gary, Indiana)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited April 2022
    Don't drop the c-bomb.

OGH and Vanilla bans people for using that word.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited April 2022

It’s also ridiculous.

Unless you sell the house you can’t realise the gain. So the idea it undoes CoL is absurd.
    Depends where you live if you sell it.

If you live in London or the Home Counties and own a property and sell it and move to the North or Midlands it might!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Don't drop the c-bomb.

Speaking from experience this is true.
  • Options

We did ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Pansy

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Eabhal said:

100% failure rate
    That's not how it works, anyone who was deterred wouldn't be in Calais as they'd have gone somewhere else instead and couldn't be spoken to. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A Hebridean of my acquaintance, when told of a boat named after a mountain, was semi-outraged. Not, apparently, the thing to do.
    Lochs aplenty.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I personally would recommend the Carolinas. You could do places like Asheville which very cool town with the Great Smoky Mountains via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Or do the coast, Savannah, Charleston, and up.
    Yes, others have recommended Asheville. Ta. That might be the answer!
    Very arty town and will find plenty of great food.

How are you finding the price inflation in restaurants? Mrs U normally spends several months a year in US and everybody is telling her she will get a terrible shock when she heads back over for work shortly. Prices through the roof compared to pre-pandemic.
    I haven't been paying my own way yet, or at least not much. I did notice that G&Ts in JFK were hideously pricey, but other than that I've been spared

However I have noted that accommodation in general is through the roof. Yes the £ is low at the moment, but it has been lower

But the days when you could get a decent roadside chain motel for a few bucks - nothing fancy, but safe clean and convenient - have gone. They are all north of $100, often a lot more (at least in the areas I am looking, ie not Gary, Indiana)
    That was part of the charm of an American road trip, easy to find cheap motel that was decent, cheap diner for hearty grub (normally the state of the place is inverse proportion to quality of food, especially for BBQ, has to be total shack), and of course cheap gas to drive 100s of miles.
  • Options
    MattW said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cochrane
    Duncan of Camperdown
    Forth
    Clyde
    Caledonia
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

to name a few at random

It would be cheap - running on turnip juice!
    Caledonia and Edinburgh might not be optimal.

Hitler renamed the "Deutschland" to the "Lutzow" to guard against potential morale damage if it was sunk; it was. See Moskva :smile: .
    Didn't stop the RN naming them (and sometimes sinking in them: vide Edinburgh, the enlarged Town class cruiser in WW2).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059

Don't drop the c-bomb.

What's wrong with coalitions?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

That was part of the charm of an American road trip, easy to find cheap motel that was decent, cheap dinner for hearty grub, and of course cheap gas to drive 100s of miles.

Until you actually saw the motel room or ate the dinner.
  • Options

Don't drop the c-bomb.

Mark Reckless?
  • Options

Don't drop the c-bomb.

What's wrong with coalitions?
    Cle*g
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Don't drop the c-bomb.

Conservative?
    Comb
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cochrane
    Duncan of Camperdown
    Forth
    Clyde
    Caledonia
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow

to name a few at random

Unfair on Malc. He'd be like a heavily armoured monitor or dreadnought. Impressive. Stately. Slow.

And then sunk by a Fairey Swordfish biplane.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

"Sky News has just broadcast the clip now. As he talks about the “terrors of the earth”, Johnson frowns, and looks serious, but hyperbole like this normally implies Johnson is exaggerating for comic effect. There is a risk that a quote intended to show he is taking this seriously could have the opposite effect.

As the Lib Dems have argued in the past, if Johnson is keen to root out people in the Conservative party who have expressed sexist views, other culprits are available."

From the distant perspective of Tuscumbia, Alabama, this looks like a load of kerpiffle about very little

It was a silly, stupid, faintly squalid story, but it not really malign Ms Rayner. It implied she is sexy, and it also implied Boris is such a pathetic lech he can be totally distracted by a middle aged woman with decent legs sitting ten feet away in a mildly short skirt. Boris was made to look worse in the article than Rayner

The Guardian reportage of the reportage was also odd. They talk about the Basic Instinct comparison, and they say "the movie is notorious for the scene where the suspect briefly reveals her vulva"

"Vulva"??

Where did they get that from? Is *vagina* now incorrect? Could this be a trans thingy thingy? Why not say genitals? Vee-jay-jay? Intimate parts? Loins? Groin?

Vulva??

But Sharon Stone does not "expose her vulva" in Basic Instinct

ie, she does not open her legs wide allowing Michael Douglas a long scrutiny of her "labia minora, labia majora, vagina, clitoris, and urethra", that would have been about ten minutes of expert gynaecology

What Douglas gets is a brief flash of pubic hair. Which is probably what the Guardian should have said, to avoid looking pompously ridic
    Yes, but vulva is funnier, and more fun to say, than vagina.

EDIT: while I'm about it, the vulva is kind of the point. The vagina, by itself, is a bit clinical. It's all about the context. The context being the vulva.

And while I'm at it, I will also raise a hand in solidarity with all those who can be totally distracted by a middle aged woman with decent legs sitting ten feet away in a mildly short skirt.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

Of all the migrants and asylum seekers I spoke to in Calais and Dunkirk, none of them are deterred by Priti Patel’s policy of sending illegal arrivals to Rwanda

Many different stories from people from very different backgrounds, but all with one goal: 1/9

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/threat-of-africa-wont-stop-us-insist-dunkirk-camps-refugees-g7xrrb9q0

Contradicts Sky recent piece filmed in Calais with real refugees declaring they are changing their plans as they do not want to be sent to Rwanda
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    MaxPB said:

Don't drop the c-bomb.

Conservative?
    Comb
    It's 'Chingle transferrable vote'. Hard to see how it's a word though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

We did ...

That's the same ship. Since its name was changed before launch, I'd argue we never had one. Sadly. :)

It seemed to have had an 'interesting' life; she was apparently sunk by the Indonesian Air Force...
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited April 2022
    felix said:

Yup because homeowners have been given the homes for free years ago without any savings or sacrifices on their part and anyone who says otherwise is just Tory scum. There you go. Happy now.
    One for you to contemplate Felix.

• Options

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

Contradicts Sky recent piece filmed in Calais with real refugees declaring they are changing their plans as they do not want to be sent to Rwanda
    My point was that those deterred are unlikely to ever find themselves in Calais.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Lochs aplenty.
    True, although CalMac have utilised some of them already. Not a happy precedent given ferry-gate.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

My point was that those deterred are unlikely to ever find themselves in Calais.
    Those interviewed were in Calais and made their fear of going to Rwanda very clear
  • Options

That was part of the charm of an American road trip, easy to find cheap motel that was decent, cheap dinner for hearty grub, and of course cheap gas to drive 100s of miles.

That's not true tho. Often the once-cheap motels are perfectly acceptable. Sometimes they are great. ie they will be in an amazing location just because that's the most convenient place to site the motel. I remember a chain motel in Moab Utah which had astonishing views of the red desert rocks, from every room, and it was about $40 a night

That doesn't seem do-able now

See here. Moab, Utah. Even the mediocre 2 star chain motels are $150 minimum

https://tinyurl.com/yx9ko8mb

As for the food, yes, that can be challenging, but less so here in the south where there is soul food everywhere
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    edited April 2022

Carnyx said:

I read that as if it was the start of a rhyme. And was then disappointed that it wasn't.

Let's try again:

A old Hebridean that I once knew
    Heard of a boat named after K2
    His outrage was clear
    When I told him his dear
    Ben Nevis had a boat named after it too
  • Options

Am I trolling here? Perhaps just a little bit, so I apologise. But these crazy cats are trying to take this to court. I’m not sure whether I admire them or think they’re batshit crazy…

More detail here - https://www.eucitizenship.org/news/article/15

I know it probably won’t happen, but what if it did, what if they could get a court to declare that the referendum wasn’t a free and fair election cos of Russian interference? God that would unleash a shitstorm.

I mean, I’m as Remainy as they come but Jesus, I’m not sure I’d want to go through something like that…

If the vote had been compromised by Russia, the only fair course of action would be to rerun the EU Referendum, we are not a Russian autocracy, we are a democracy after all.

Anyway, on topic, if Johnson is deposed, what happens to the wallpaper?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

"Vulva"??

Vulva??

But Sharon Stone does not "expose her vulva" in Basic Instinct

ie, she does not open her legs wide allowing Michael Douglas a long scrutiny of her "labia minora, labia majora, vagina, clitoris, and urethra", that would have been about ten minutes of expert gynaecology

What Douglas gets is a brief flash of pubic hair. Which is probably what the Guardian should have said, to avoid looking pompously ridic
    And there was me thinking "pompously ridic" was the Guardian's USP.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

Those interviewed were in Calais and made their fear of going to Rwanda very clear
    If they were already in Calais and it deterred them they'd be looking to leave Calais at the time.

They likely wouldn't be in Calais anymore and wouldn't be heading there anymore.

Almost by definition, apart from when the policy is introduced, those who are deterred won't be found but that's because they're deterred.

That will go over Scott's head though.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Carnyx said:

We did ...

That's the same ship. Since its name was changed before launch, I'd argue we never had one. Sadly. :)

It seemed to have had an 'interesting' life; she was apparently sunk by the Indonesian Air Force...
    PB pedantry: there WAS a HMS Pansy - one of the Great War Flower class ... though there was a HMS Fairy (minesweeper IIRC) in WW2.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

If they wanted them cancelled, they should have named them Duke of York and Duke of Sussex.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

Eabhal said:

100% failure rate
    Not so. I imagine people smuggling fees are paid up front, so it is entirely conceivable that PP's policy works, if at all, at point of origin in Asia or Africa where people will decide it is no longer worth finding the $5000 if it just gets you to Rwanda, whereasthose who have made it to Calais have invested all the money and 90% of the effort and think it's worth one final push.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

That's not true tho. Often the once-cheap motels are perfectly acceptable. Sometimes they are great. ie they will be in an amazing location just because that's the most convenient place to site the motel. I remember a chain motel in Moab Utah which had astonishing views of the red desert rocks, from every room, and it was about $40 a night

As for the food, yes, that can be challenging, but less so here in the south where there is soul food everywhere
    On top of inflation, I was reading about this the other day. Basically mom and pop motels are been driven out the market, where now the "system" has become individual entrepreneurs own / finance the physical location and a small number of chain brands service them for a significant management fee and cut of the revenue. The chain brand might not be on the front of the door, but they are the ones providing all the staff, the cleaning, etc etc etc. The big brands have been aggressively moving into this business model to ensure they don't have to worry about AirBnB.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

We did ...

PB pedantry: there WAS a HMS Pansy - one of the Great War Flower class ... though there was a HMS Fairy (minesweeper IIRC) in WW2.
    PB Pedantry: the best sort of pedantry. ;)
  • Options

Am I trolling here? Perhaps just a little bit, so I apologise. But these crazy cats are trying to take this to court. I’m not sure whether I admire them or think they’re batshit crazy…

I know it probably won’t happen, but what if it did, what if they could get a court to declare that the referendum wasn’t a free and fair election cos of Russian interference? God that would unleash a shitstorm.

I mean, I’m as Remainy as they come but Jesus, I’m not sure I’d want to go through something like that…

If the vote had been compromised by Russia, the only fair course of action would be to rerun the EU Referendum, we are not a Russian autocracy, we are a democracy after all.

We are a parliamentary democracy not a direct democracy, as the 2016 to 2019 period proved it was only getting a Tory majority in December 2019 that delivered Brexit through Parliament into law in 2020.

The referendum result itself changed nothing legally
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

If they were already in Calais and it deterred them they'd be looking to leave Calais at the time.

They likely wouldn't be in Calais anymore and wouldn't be heading there anymore.

Almost by definition, apart from when the policy is introduced, those who are deterred won't be found but that's because they're deterred.

Twitter is saying there have been no cross Channel boats in the last 4 days

No idea if this is true, or - if it is true - whether it is "Rwanda" doing it

If the plan succeeds then it will be a coup for Patel. The whole idea, of course, is DETERRENCE. You only have to send a few people to Rwanda and there's a good chance the entire trafficking network will collapse. The risk is too great. You spend $10k to get to England and you might end up in Rwanda??
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I read that as if it was the start of a rhyme. And was then disappointed that it wasn't.

Let's try again:

His outrage was clear
    When I told him his dear
    IT did, a landing ship tank HMS Ben Nevis. I think however the Nevis name went to a Loch-class frigate - a much more nautical sort of vessel ...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    The policy is designed to stop people crossing from Calais.

Calais is full of people wanting to cross.

They have not been deterred.

This is not complicated
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

Actually it is.

But you are a simpleton.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

And when Australia took this approach, it stopped right away.....no of course not. Its only when it was clear they were actually going to do this and continue to do it for a very long time.

Now the British scheme seems a total mess, and the government flip flop on everything.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Let's try again:

His outrage was clear
    When I told him his dear
    IT did, a landing ship tank HMS Ben Nevis. I think however the Nevis name went to a Loch-class frigate - a much more nautical sort of vessel ...
    Hmmm - http://www.historicalrfa.org/requisitioned-auxiliaries/161-requisitioned-auxiliaries-b/1794-requisitioned-auxiliary-ben-nevis
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

Nor is this:

I imagine people smuggling fees are paid up front, so it is entirely conceivable that PP's policy works, if at all, at point of origin in Asia or Africa where people will decide it is no longer worth finding the $5000 if it just gets you to Rwanda, whereas those who have made it to Calais have invested all the money and 90% of the effort and think it's worth one final push.
  • Options

It really is ridiculous that some just cannot let go and realise Brexit has happened, rather than encourage the UK and EU to work together for our mutual benefit rather than sow conspiracy theories

It also has to be said the remain camp had all the cards and just lost a campaign they should have won, not helped by Obama telling us to go to the back of the queue

As for the wallpaper there are some very nice quality emulsion paints on the market
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

The policy is a triumph, achieving exactly what it was supposed to. Priti Patel's rating on the latest ConHome survey has improved dramatically.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

If they wanted them cancelled, they should have named them Duke of York and Duke of Sussex.
    Are they even slightly deployable? They just seem like floating liabilities. (Internationally made clear by the BBC)
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

If the plan succeeds then it will be a coup for Patel. The whole idea, of course, is DETERRENCE. You only have to send a few people to Rwanda and there's a good chance the entire trafficking network will collapse. The risk is too great. You spend $10k to get to England and you might end up in Rwanda??
    That is correct. The aim is to deter people from making the crossing. The other aspect of this as well is that it makes the smugglers’ model riskier to migrants / less attractive. You can’t offer as a smuggler “even if you get intercepted, you get another chance” if a lot of the men attempting the journey think “I’ll end up in Rwanda.” I suspect that will be the ultimate success of the policy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

We are a parliamentary democracy not a direct democracy, as the 2016 to 2019 period proved it was only getting a Tory majority in December 2019 that delivered Brexit through Parliament into law in 2020.

You say that now...evidence item 1 m'lud, the prorogation of Parliament.

All the Brexiteers were crying foul. "The sovereign 2017 Parliament is undemocratic because it will not enact the will of the people, who voted (in a non- binding referendum) to leave the EU".

Now I am not blaming you HY, you are, like myself a good honest yeoman serf who voted Remain.
  • Options

Leon said:

On top of inflation, I was reading about this the other day. Basically mom and pop motels are been driven out the market, where now the "system" has become individual entrepreneurs own / finance the physical location and a small number of chain brands service them for a significant management fee and cut of the revenue. The chain brand might not be on the front of the door, but they are the ones providing all the staff, the cleaning, etc etc etc. The big brands have been aggressively moving into this business model to ensure they don't have to worry about AirBnB.
    It's a damn shame, as it has taken a lot of fun out of the Great American Roadtrip

Time was, you didn't really have to worry about accommodation. You drove the interstate and you pulled over when exhausted, the place would be $50 a night, it would have ice and a fridge, a coffee machine, a vending machine, it would be clean and secure, saddle up next morning and on you go

If you have to WORRY about the next stop - will it be $200? - then that makes everything three times less appealing

The prices for some of these chain motels now are insane. $250 a night for something bleak on a strip mall near Nashville? You can get 4-5 star hotels in beautiful parts of Europe for that
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

How many have crossed since the policy announcement than before?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

While I understand the idea, four days of data isn't going to be enough to confirm. The Rwanda deportation will actually have to happen to a few migrants, otherwise the rest will quickly get canny to the empty threat.

We'll know after a few years. Politically, a huge evidence-free win for Patel.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but, if it wasn’t obvious, it looks like the oil refinery hit in Russia was a Ukrainian drone job

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1518591504499023873?s=21&t=d066hOpF0SoTfz_MBKTEvQ

• Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Are they even slightly deployable? They just seem like floating liabilities. (Internationally made clear by the BBC)
    The Duke of York isn't

The Duke of Sussex seems deployable, but is currently not in commission
  • Options

Much too late, surely.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

And when Australia took this approach, it stopped right away.....no of course not. Its only when it was clear they were actually going to do this and continue to do it for a very long time.

Now the British scheme seems a total mess, and the government flip flop on everything.
    Is it a mess?

The Spectator
    @spectator
    ·
    2h
    New on the Spectator data hub: no migrants have been detected crossing the Channel in small boats for the past five days.

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1518580001054113793?s=20&t=mMd2KQQm_mEg22uHhP3tEw

Priti Patel for PM!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

felix said:

I didn't mention Tory Scum, and actually, I'm one of the lucky ones. I got on the housebuying train just before it went stratospheric. In a way that a twenty year younger version of me couldn't have.

But the effect of house prices going up by 20k in three months is positive for some, negative for others, and it does dwarf the other figures we study in minute detail.

And the bottom line is that £20 000 in three months... that more than most doctors, headteachers, solicitors have made. For a box of bricks that you live in. I'm not blaming those of use who benefit from it, but something's not right somewhere, surely?
    It's not even positive for very many of us.
    Sure, my house is worth more money. But if I want to move, the house I want to move to will cost even more.
    From a personal point of view, I would be far happier if house prices halved - on paper, I would be less wealthy, but the chance of my daughters being able to afford to own a house when they grow up would be much increased.

Also, in re HYUFD's point saying great, Londoners can sell up and move to the country, where does that leave the folk actually living in Cornwall, Richmondshire, etc., with the local property market driven up?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

You ever come across something called a "counterfactual"? And how difficult they are to identify or measure?

It's the same reason no one can really tell if the government's Covid response was good/middling/bad.
  • Options

It really is ridiculous that some just cannot let go and realise Brexit has happened, rather than encourage the UK and EU to work together for our mutual benefit rather than sow conspiracy theories

It also has to be said the remain camp had all the cards and just lost a campaign they should have won, not helped by Obama telling us to go to the back of the queue

As for the wallpaper there are some very nice quality emulsion paints on the market
    No, no!

Brexit is done, but if it has been done on the illicit whim of Vladimir Putin and not on the express wish of the British people this wrong must be righted, and the only fair way is a rerun of the original vote.

I am sure that Brexit has been such a success that nothing will change, but foreign foes can't be seen to subvert our democracy.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,803

Even if there was overwhelming evidence of Russian interference how do you re-run the EU ref when the UK has already left . The problem with any case is how do you quantify the impact of interference and prove that it moved enough votes .
  • Options
    NB: it has allegedly been very windy in the Channel for the last week.....
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    Applicant said:

Much too late, surely.
    There has been much discussion away from the Uk about certain key figures who financially backed the various Leave campaigns. To say the least there is a case to answer. However I also accept that we may not want to air this dirty laundry, at least until Putin is gone.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

The Duke of York isn't

Thank God for Cambridge!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Let's try again:

His outrage was clear
    When I told him his dear
    Hmmm - http://www.historicalrfa.org/requisitioned-auxiliaries/161-requisitioned-auxiliaries-b/1794-requisitioned-auxiliary-ben-nevis
    Ooh, that's another one (if technically its name was not chosen by the Admiralty, at least they didn't rename her).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

I didn't mention Tory Scum, and actually, I'm one of the lucky ones. I got on the housebuying train just before it went stratospheric. In a way that a twenty year younger version of me couldn't have.

But the effect of house prices going up by 20k in three months is positive for some, negative for others, and it does dwarf the other figures we study in minute detail.

And the bottom line is that £20 000 in three months... that more than most doctors, headteachers, solicitors have made. For a box of bricks that you live in. I'm not blaming those of use who benefit from it, but something's not right somewhere, surely?
    Sure, my house is worth more money. But if I want to move, the house I want to move to will cost even more.
    From a personal point of view, I would be far happier if house prices halved - on paper, I would be less wealthy, but the chance of my daughters being able to afford to own a house when they grow up would be much increased.

Also, in re HYUFD's point saying great, Londoners can sell up and move to the country, where does that leave the folk actually living in Cornwall, Richmondshire, etc., with the local property market driven up?
    Unless most of London and the Home counties move up North or to Cornwall little different.

That of course will never happen, even if more people are mainly WFH and some have moved out of London for more space
  • Options

HYUFD said:

All the Brexiteers were crying foul. "The sovereign 2017 Parliament is undemocratic because it will not enact the will of the people, who voted (in a non- binding referendum) to leave the EU".

Now I am not blaming you HY, you are, like myself a good honest yeoman serf who voted Remain.
    There was never any doubt that the 2017 parliament had the legal right to block implementation of the referendum result.

But just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it right to do it.

For example, the Supreme Court had the right to rule on prorogation starting from its conclusion and working backwards to find some way to claim to justify it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes but the prorogation of Parliament made sod all difference. Parliament still refused to vote for Brexit and the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional anyway.

Only the Tory majority in December 2019 delivered Brexit as I said
  • Options
    Leon said:

Windy in bits of Russia too. All sorts of explosions have happened. Oil refineries when under tow have sunk.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

felix said:

Unless most of London and the Home counties move up North or to Cornwall little different.

That of course will never happen, even if more people are mainly WFH and some have moved out of London for more space
    You don't need many people to move to displace the locals, when the ability to buy second homes conferred by high London prices is added, come to think of it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

The Duke of York isn't

Thank God for Cambridge!
    Mind you, without of the Duke of Edinburgh, we have a major loss of strategic capability...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,816
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

Is it a mess?

The Spectator
    @spectator
    ·
    2h
    New on the Spectator data hub: no migrants have been detected crossing the Channel in small boats for the past five days.

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1518580001054113793?s=20&t=mMd2KQQm_mEg22uHhP3tEw

Priti Patel for PM!
    Can see it now: PP4PM :D
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

I can confirm that. And the wind's from the north-east, so in fact thousands of dinghies have set off from Calais and ended up in Dieppe.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Much too late, surely.
    Yeah it is, we’re out, it’s done.

But it wouldn’t look good, to say the least. Especially if the government knew and simply ignored it for, well, politics. For their backbenchers. For whatever reason. Not now Russia’s the baddie, unequivocally.

I don’t think it’ll get that far. It’s just interesting to ponder the hypothetical fallout.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but the prorogation of Parliament made sod all difference. Parliament still refused to vote for Brexit and the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional anyway.

Only the Tory majority in December 2019 delivered Brexit as I said
    The prorogation was still grossly illegal and undemocratic.

"Your Honour, I'm not going to plead guilty to this mugging, I only scored 5p and a Curly-Wurly."
  • Options

Leon said:

I can confirm that; and the wind's from the north, so in fact thousands of dinghies have set off from Calais and ended up in Dieppe.
    No-one deserves Dieppe - perhaps an emergency airlift to Rwanda?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

This is not complicated

Is it a mess?

The Spectator
    @spectator
    ·
    2h

Priti Patel for PM!
    Can see it now: PP4PM :D
    Rishi down, Priti up and overtaken him on the Conhome survey.

Who saw that a few months ago?
  • Options

No, no!

Brexit is done, but if it has been done on the illicit whim of Vladimir Putin and not on the express wish of the British people this wrong must be righted, and the only fair way is a rerun of the original vote.

I am sure that Brexit has been such a success that nothing will change, but foreign foes can't be seen to subvert our democracy.
    I understand many have been very upset by Brexit, but the only way to improve it is for both sides to grow up and work together to improve the relationship

Never ending leavers and remainers fighting yesterday's battles is plain tedious
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Applicant said:

Much too late, surely.
    There has been much discussion away from the Uk about certain key figures who financially backed the various Leave campaigns. To say the least there is a case to answer. However I also accept that we may not want to air this dirty laundry, at least until Putin is gone.
    And where would you stop?

If Le Pen had got in, reverse that too? Reverse all German foreign policy for the last few decades? Trump? A second indy-ref?

These have also been, or will be, influenced by Russian interference.
  • Options
    Actually, looking at the possible deal with India, would it not be advisable to make their way there and get on one of the new methods by which Indian citizens are to be enabled to come here.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Quick YouTube (there are channels dedicated to driving the "hood" of these kind of places), Bessemer looks pretty bad. Worst of those kind of places I have been, Gary, Indiana.
    Gary, Indiana at one point was the murder capital of the US. You are right, FU, it is a horrible little town on the Southwest corner of Lake Michigan. So depressing. Stopped once on the way from Chicago to Warsaw, Indiana and my hosts were amazed I'd gotten out alive!!!
    I know Indiana quite well from the David Soul song Silver Lady. The wind and rain cuts through you, there, and leaves you chilled to the bone. Bleak, as you say. Best to play the song rather than visit. This applies to quite a few places in America, come to think of it. Galverston is another good example. Just play the song and leave it at that.
This discussion has been closed.