Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

ITV News: “46 CON MPs might have sent confidence vote letters” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Am I trolling here? Perhaps just a little bit, so I apologise. But these crazy cats are trying to take this to court. I’m not sure whether I admire them or think they’re batshit crazy…

More detail here - https://www.eucitizenship.org/news/article/15

I know it probably won’t happen, but what if it did, what if they could get a court to declare that the referendum wasn’t a free and fair election cos of Russian interference? God that would unleash a shitstorm.

I mean, I’m as Remainy as they come but Jesus, I’m not sure I’d want to go through something like that…

Much too late, surely.
    Yeah it is, we’re out, it’s done.

But it wouldn’t look good, to say the least. Especially if the government knew and simply ignored it for, well, politics. For their backbenchers. For whatever reason. Not now Russia’s the baddie, unequivocally.

I don’t think it’ll get that far. It’s just interesting to ponder the hypothetical fallout.
    I'm not sure telling 17 million voters "you're so stupid you only voted that way because of Russian money" would be very successful, tbh.
    Perhaps, but it isn't quite that simple. Most people are very susceptible to remarketing via social media. Anyone that thinks themselves immune is probably the most suggestible.
    Given the amount of pro-Remain rigging that Cameron did, complaining about a bit of Russian money on the other side seems a little churlish.
    Well done for winning this years Dumbest Comment on PB Award. You seriously think we should not be concerned about a hostile state trying to subvert our democratic system? FFS!
    We were.

It's why we voted to Leave the EU.
    It is not a state and it is not hostile. Do you use Facebook?
    The EU isn't hostile? They've had a funny way of showing it in recent years.
    Political disagreements do not amount to hostility. Idiots in the EU and the UK just have an interest escalating rhetoric and petty sniping.
    They did try and steal our vaccines, which I tool to be somewhat hostile...
    Politically unfriendly, but it was hardly firing artillery at East Anglia
    I would say somewhere between "politically unfriendly" and "all out war" - so "hostile" would be an appropriate description in the circumstances.

Things do seem to have calmed down in the past few months though thankfully...
    I think you may be indulging in nationalistic hyperbole.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do we have any Alabama experts on the board today?

I have one day here in the far north west bit. Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals. By the mighty Tennessee River

I was gonna hike the river or some canyons.... but it's decided to rain. Heavily (the first day of bad weather after a week of pure sun - which returns tomorrow, huzzah)

Things To Do In Alabama When It Rains. Are there any? I thought of driving to Alabama's Most Depressing Town, say Selma, or Bessemer, to indulge in a day of Full on Feasting on American Declinism, but are they that bad? I want BAD. I want Mississippi BAD. Detroit BAD. Shuttered streets, empty factories, fentanyl addicts, desolate malls, maybe a rich Woke student shouting at poor white people about their privilege - in the rain.

Where can I get that?

Quick YouTube (there are channels dedicated to driving the "hood" of these kind of places), Bessemer looks pretty bad. Worst of those kind of places I have been, Gary, Indiana.
    I was in a debate the other night with some Americans about The Worst Place in America and they decided Terre Haute Indiana takes some beating (I've never been there, so I have no idea)

It does sound like Indiana is pretty grim

The thing about Cities of American Decline in the south is that they still have the nice climate. OK you're dirt poor, but you can sit on a pile of used tyres and take ket in your tee shirt

In the Rustbelt north, they have those long bitter winters and grey skies, which must make it way more depressing

Terre Haute is where Stephen King’s Trashcan Man comes from…
    Should be the global HQ for the Flat Earth Society.

No doubt a tad run down & depressed, not just fly-over country for the jet set but drive-past territory for most Midwesterners. Still not to be trashed for the hell of it - least not by someone NOT a genius like SK.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

Am I trolling here? Perhaps just a little bit, so I apologise. But these crazy cats are trying to take this to court. I’m not sure whether I admire them or think they’re batshit crazy…

I know it probably won’t happen, but what if it did, what if they could get a court to declare that the referendum wasn’t a free and fair election cos of Russian interference? God that would unleash a shitstorm.

I mean, I’m as Remainy as they come but Jesus, I’m not sure I’d want to go through something like that…

Remain would win.
    You cannot remain when you have left

You can rejoin but as none of the major parties apart from the SNP are going to offer rejoin then as I have said many times before, these extreme leavers and remainers need to work with the majority of ordinary voters to promote much better UK-EU relationships on defence, security and trade
    There would also be the issue that “rejoin” would be very unlikely to be accepted by the EU on the previous terms and would likely be a negative for rejoiners in a re-run.
    We wouldn't know the terms until we submit a formal application to Rejoin, and obviously those would be subject to negotiation. Previous terms are unlikely, but neither Shengen nor the Euro are compulsory, the latter in practice certainly.
    Keep on dreaming.

In the pandemic, and during this current Ukraine crisis, we have seen significant EU players go against common sense. I voted remain; but who wants to be in the same club where the leader of one country calls AZ 'quasi-ineffective' and another essentially backs Putin because of their own base desires for gas?

Why do you want to be a member of that club?
    So you think we should withdraw from NATO, for that too is a club?
    What's the relevance? Are you defending Macron's comments and Germany's position?

If NATO went for backing Russia in this conflict, then yes, I would question our membership. But they have not.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Agreed, it would not be a good thing. That said, anyone who continues to believe that Russia did not attempt to influence the vote is a dumbass to put it mildly. The reality though, is that our democratic system was most likely subverted, but we have to live with the result and try and learn from it
    I'm sure that Putin tried to influence the Brexit referendum result, but very sceptical that it made a ha'pennyworth of difference. Voters are quite capable of being stupid on their own account, without any external assistance. In any case it was much more likely to have been Corbyn and Seumas Milne who tipped the balance.
    If you learned what I have learned over the last couple of years about social media marketing you would not be so convinced that there was no influence. I think the likelihood that it tipped the balance was more likely than unlikely. There was a very high turnout on an issue that failed to inspire interest in a large part of the population only a few years before. The opinion polls moved considerably and the authorities were completely pig ignorant about what was going on.

Here is a simple example of how it works: I, Vladimir, put out an advert that might appeal to folk who might be nationalistic but probably don't vote. It might be a man wearing a union flag waist coat. The caption reads: "it isn't racist to wear the Union Jack". The advertiser then chooses the demographic that might most be motivated by this. It gets lots of "likes" and comments on FB. This then pleases the algorithm that then pushes it out even more. The people that like or share it are remarketed over an over again with targeted messages that make them feel angrier and angrier about "the establishment" and the EU, and they share it and like it etc. etc. and a whole group of statistically significant voters are influenced to vote a particular way. Anyone who thinks Putin did not do this and did not influence the outcome is deluding themself.
    It sounds like someone gave you a sales pitch on targeted advertising...

Based on all the evidence of Russian incompetence recently, do you really think it's plausible that they are better at running an election campaign with a Western electorate than Lynton Crosby and Peter Mandelson combined?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,080
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

I have one day here in the far north west bit. Tuscumbia/Muscle Shoals. By the mighty Tennessee River

I was gonna hike the river or some canyons.... but it's decided to rain. Heavily (the first day of bad weather after a week of pure sun - which returns tomorrow, huzzah)

Things To Do In Alabama When It Rains. Are there any? I thought of driving to Alabama's Most Depressing Town, say Selma, or Bessemer, to indulge in a day of Full on Feasting on American Declinism, but are they that bad? I want BAD. I want Mississippi BAD. Detroit BAD. Shuttered streets, empty factories, fentanyl addicts, desolate malls, maybe a rich Woke student shouting at poor white people about their privilege - in the rain.

Where can I get that?

Quick YouTube (there are channels dedicated to driving the "hood" of these kind of places), Bessemer looks pretty bad. Worst of those kind of places I have been, Gary, Indiana.
    Gary, Indiana at one point was the murder capital of the US. You are right, FU, it is a horrible little town on the Southwest corner of Lake Michigan. So depressing. Stopped once on the way from Chicago to Warsaw, Indiana and my hosts were amazed I'd gotten out alive!!!
    I know Indiana quite well from the David Soul song Silver Lady. The wind and rain cuts through you, there, and leaves you chilled to the bone. Bleak, as you say. Best to play the song rather than visit. This applies to quite a few places in America, come to think of it. Galverston is another good example. Just play the song and leave it at that.
    Sorry, K, but you do not know shit about Indiana, which is a VERY diverse state plenty of great places & people from Lake Michigan dunes to the banks of the Ohio River. Or Galveston for that matter.

Ignorance does NOT become you.
    Yes, I'm sure. Only kidding. Or only not kidding in the sense there often IS a mismatch between how a song makes a place sound and the more prosiac reality of that place - and since songs usually talk about American places it's American places that are romanticized (in this way) the most. Pity but that's how it is.

By the time I got to Romford.
    I wish they all could be Liverpudlian girls.
    It took me 4 days to hitchhike from Doncaster
    And now he's leaving ... on the midnight train to Chester.

We lack the cultural confidence to write this sort of stuff.
    Not sure that's true

We write of Britain more ironically, grittily, and whimsically, and with less glamorisation, but we do write about it:

The Beatles: Penny Lane - Liverpool
    Pogues: Dirty Old Town - Salford
    David Gray: Babylon - London - actual proper romanticisation there
    Gerry Rafferty: Baker Street - possibly the best song ever written about a city?
    Proclaimers - multiple places in Scotland, especially Leith
    Fyfe: I Belong to Glasgow - Glasgow!

Waterloo Sunset, Streets of London, London Calling, Mull of Kintyre, Ferry Cross the Mersey, Up The Junction

There is a theme tho. The vast majority of the most famous songs are about London, Liverpool, and Scotland

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

Agreed, it would not be a good thing. That said, anyone who continues to believe that Russia did not attempt to influence the vote is a dumbass to put it mildly. The reality though, is that our democratic system was most likely subverted, but we have to live with the result and try and learn from it
    I'm sure that Putin tried to influence the Brexit referendum result, but very sceptical that it made a ha'pennyworth of difference. Voters are quite capable of being stupid on their own account, without any external assistance. In any case it was much more likely to have been Corbyn and Seumas Milne who tipped the balance.
    If you learned what I have learned over the last couple of years about social media marketing you would not be so convinced that there was no influence. I think the likelihood that it tipped the balance was more likely than unlikely. There was a very high turnout on an issue that failed to inspire interest in a large part of the population only a few years before. The opinion polls moved considerably and the authorities were completely pig ignorant about what was going on.

Here is a simple example of how it works: I, Vladimir, put out an advert that might appeal to folk who might be nationalistic but probably don't vote. It might be a man wearing a union flag waist coat. The caption reads: "it isn't racist to wear the Union Jack". The advertiser then chooses the demographic that might most be motivated by this. It gets lots of "likes" and comments on FB. This then pleases the algorithm that then pushes it out even more. The people that like or share it are remarketed over an over again with targeted messages that make them feel angrier and angrier about "the establishment" and the EU, and they share it and like it etc. etc. and a whole group of statistically significant voters are influenced to vote a particular way. Anyone who thinks Putin did not do this and did not influence the outcome is deluding themself.
    It sounds like someone gave you a sales pitch on targeted advertising...

Based on all the evidence of Russian incompetence recently, do you really think it's plausible that they are better at running an election campaign with a Western electorate than Lynton Crosby and Peter Mandelson combined?
    Well, it certainly seemed to work on you St Paul? I guess you must use Facebook?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm still wondering why MoS thought the Angela Rayner story was a good idea? Anyone?

I'm fairly sure it was planted to help her, and hinder Boris

It's a clever piece of spin, either by anti-Boris-ite Tories, or Rayner's team
    It’s a conspiracy theory too far that Angela’s people placed it. But it could well have been Never Johnsons in the PCP.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited April 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Gary, Indiana at one point was the murder capital of the US. You are right, FU, it is a horrible little town on the Southwest corner of Lake Michigan. So depressing. Stopped once on the way from Chicago to Warsaw, Indiana and my hosts were amazed I'd gotten out alive!!!
    I know Indiana quite well from the David Soul song Silver Lady. The wind and rain cuts through you, there, and leaves you chilled to the bone. Bleak, as you say. Best to play the song rather than visit. This applies to quite a few places in America, come to think of it. Galverston is another good example. Just play the song and leave it at that.
    Sorry, K, but you do not know shit about Indiana, which is a VERY diverse state plenty of great places & people from Lake Michigan dunes to the banks of the Ohio River. Or Galveston for that matter.

Yes, I'm sure. Only kidding. Or only not kidding in the sense there often IS a mismatch between how a song makes a place sound and the more prosiac reality of that place - and since songs usually talk about American places it's American places that are romanticized (in this way) the most. Pity but that's how it is.

It’s not cultural confidence, per se.

England is an essentially suburban nation.
    It’s place-names mostly evoke a kind of pooterish quality, or at best a sense of pastoral tranquility.

America has the high romance of “the West”, frontier-land. Discovery. Danger. Danmnation.

In Britain such qualities can perhaps only be found, vanishingly, in the Celtic nations.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Hank Snow - I've Been Everywhere, Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqzy8HU6dQ
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I have been to both Amarillo and Abiline, and would recommend neither.

If you are looking for the dark underbelly of America, quite a lot of East Tennessee fits. I remember Chatanooga being pretty grim, and Gatlinberg full of trashy tourist trap Americana, though like other bits of America nearby are some great National and State parks
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm still wondering why MoS thought the Angela Rayner story was a good idea? Anyone?

No I'm sorry neither the MoS nor the anti-Boris faction are that wily.

This was the latest in a long list of dreadful and hateful tripe from the Mail stable. Once you realise what has come before, you realise that they really did mean it and have probably been surprised at the backlash.

Well done Boris and other Conservatives for condemning it. It demeans us and the whole of politics.
    Absurdly naive

This story only helps Rayner, and only troubles Boris. And that is bloody obvious. So we can see its provenance quite clearly

BTW I don't blame Rayner's team for planting it, if it was them. Politics is a rough business and Boris presents an easy target in this context
    Femme fatale cynically employs her physical assets to try and put the PM off his stride in the House of Commons and blunt his Oxford University debating skills. But he refuses to play her sordid little game. He ploughs on manfully with the serious business of running the country.

I don't quite see how this is supposed to help her and damage "Boris".
    Look at how this story has unfolded, entirely predictably. Tories apologising everywhere, Boris looking like a salacious old git, Rayner's profile heightened, even as she gets the sympathy of the political world

You'd need an IQ of less than about 103 to be unable to foresee these consequences. This explains your muted reaction, you too are very slightly more intelligent than the average, but only VERY slightly. 103.

It's right on the edge of your abilities of comprehension, and you're not sure what to make of it. You stare at it quizzically, like a crow looking at a mirror
    Oh dear not IQ again. But ok let's do some forensic. You say the story makes BoJo look like a salacious old git. Why does it? The story is that she TRIES to put him off not that he IS put off.

So where's 'salacious old git' coming from? Is it coming from putting yourself in his place? A bit of the old projection going on?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

It’s place-names mostly evoke a kind of pooterish quality, or at best a sense of pastoral tranquility.

America has the high romance of “the West”, frontier-land. Discovery. Danger. Danmnation.

In Britain such qualities can perhaps only be found, vanishingly, in the Celtic nations.
    No. It can also be found in our big cities. See below
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

This was the latest in a long list of dreadful and hateful tripe from the Mail stable. Once you realise what has come before, you realise that they really did mean it and have probably been surprised at the backlash.

Well done Boris and other Conservatives for condemning it. It demeans us and the whole of politics.
    Absurdly naive

This story only helps Rayner, and only troubles Boris. And that is bloody obvious. So we can see its provenance quite clearly

BTW I don't blame Rayner's team for planting it, if it was them. Politics is a rough business and Boris presents an easy target in this context
    Femme fatale cynically employs her physical assets to try and put the PM off his stride in the House of Commons and blunt his Oxford University debating skills. But he refuses to play her sordid little game. He ploughs on manfully with the serious business of running the country.

Look at how this story has unfolded, entirely predictably. Tories apologising everywhere, Boris looking like a salacious old git, Rayner's profile heightened, even as she gets the sympathy of the political world

You'd need an IQ of less than about 103 to be unable to foresee these consequences. This explains your muted reaction, you too are very slightly more intelligent than the average, but only VERY slightly. 103.

It's right on the edge of your abilities of comprehension, and you're not sure what to make of it. You stare at it quizzically, like a crow looking at a mirror
    Oh dear not IQ again. But ok let's do some forensic. You say the story makes BoJo look like a salacious old git. Why does it? The story is that she TRIES to put him off not that he IS put off.

So where's 'salacious old git' coming from? Is it coming from putting yourself in his place? A bit of the old projection going on?
    The mirror twinkles. The crow tilts its head
  • Options
    Alasdair_Alasdair_ Posts: 15
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

We write of Britain more ironically, grittily, and whimsically, and with less glamorisation, but we do write about it:

Gerry Rafferty: Baker Street - possibly the best song ever written about a city?

Waterloo Sunset, Streets of London, London Calling, Mull of Kintyre, Ferry Cross the Mersey, Up The Junction

There is a theme tho. The vast majority of the most famous songs are about London, Liverpool, and Scotland

London Calling
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Don't know if people can help but I'm trying to think of examples of NOT poking the Russian bear. So far:

1)Urging Ukraine not to leave the Soviet Union (George HW Bush)
    2)Allowing Russia to inherit the Soviet Union's permanent seat on the UN Security council
    3)Providing aid to Russia after the Soviet Union collapsed
    4)Persuading Ukraine to give up its nuclear weapons
    5)Allowing Russia to join the G7
    6)Launching the International Space Station

Should all of this be discounted because of Nato expansion? The dictum of not poking the bear isn't much use if the bear is hungry. Unfortunately Yeltsin chose the wrong successor and all we could have done was a better policy of containment and deterrence.

Would restoring Nato to its cold war boundaries be a victory for Russia? Well it would cause great unease in eastern Europe so long as Russia persists with its 'sphere of influence' mentality but you could easily envisage some kind of military alliance between Poland, Ukraine, the Baltics, Czechs, Slovaks and possibly Romania. Given what has happened in Ukraine they would probably look to go nuclear as well. How would Russia like that? Is this the sort of conversation our diplomats have with their Kremlin counterparts or do they just nod along respectfully whilst the Siloviki spout their awful lies?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

Hearing Rachel Reeves say she was "pleased" Labour lost in 2019 made me finally agree to join the data breach class action against Labour.

That's gonna really hurt the Tories.

How stupid are you to think that attacking Labour is the way to promote the Left in this country?
    I am a Socialist

Labour is not.

It wrote to me to tell me my data had been breached at a time when my data should have been deleted as per its own T&Cs as I had left the Party.

I am not a Labour supporter so tough titties
    Out of interest which party do you support Big John?
  • Options
    Australian Original "I've Been Everywhere" Song by The Beggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20oqyMVbss0
  • Options
    The supposed plot against Russian TV host Vladimir Soloviev is another display of Russian incompetence. In the planted 'evidence', instead of including SIM cards, they put copies of the video game Sims, and when asked to sign something with an illegible signature they literally wrote "signature illegible" in very clear handwriting.

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1518596830661066752
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

Remain would win.

You can rejoin but as none of the major parties apart from the SNP are going to offer rejoin then as I have said many times before, these extreme leavers and remainers need to work with the majority of ordinary voters to promote much better UK-EU relationships on defence, security and trade
    There would also be the issue that “rejoin” would be very unlikely to be accepted by the EU on the previous terms and would likely be a negative for rejoiners in a re-run.
    We wouldn't know the terms until we submit a formal application to Rejoin, and obviously those would be subject to negotiation. Previous terms are unlikely, but neither Shengen nor the Euro are compulsory, the latter in practice certainly.
    Keep on dreaming.

In the pandemic, and during this current Ukraine crisis, we have seen significant EU players go against common sense. I voted remain; but who wants to be in the same club where the leader of one country calls AZ 'quasi-ineffective' and another essentially backs Putin because of their own base desires for gas?

What's the relevance? Are you defending Macron's comments and Germany's position?

If NATO went for backing Russia in this conflict, then yes, I would question our membership. But they have not.
    Germany and France are members of that club too, if their actions are so vile then we should not be a member of that either surely?

Indeed Russia remains in the G20 club that we are in for that matter. Thats before we get to the small matter of the UN and UNSC...

Or we could grow up, and recognise that different countries have sovereignty and differing ideas, and that diplomacy is the way forward to build friendship, peace and prosperity. After all Winston Churchill did say that Jaw-Jaw is better than War-War.

• Options
    Alasdair_ said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

London Calling
    Er, I mention London Calling in my comment. But ta
  • Options
    Just had an email from someone called Evri to deliver a parcel to us and are calling themselves the new Hermes

I assume this is legitimate but has anyone come across this company yet ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

Bill Drummond / the JAMMS: the Porpoise Song: North Sea trawlers. ;)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Just had an email from someone called Evri to deliver a parcel to us and are calling themselves the new Hermes

Yes it's just a rebrand of Hermes
  • Options

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

It’s a conspiracy theory too far that Angela’s people placed it. But it could well have been Never Johnsons in the PCP.
    Yes, I can buy that. It either came from anti-Borisovians in the PCP or Labour spin ops

And on that Bleeding Obvious note, I must depart, as the rain has stopped, and I want to go look at a water pump*

*Helen Keller's water pump
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hermes-changes-its-name-to-evri-after-parcel-mishandling-allegations-b987530.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alasdair_ said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

London Calling
    Er, I mention London Calling in my comment. But ta
    But not [I don't want to go to] Chelsea
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

“Krakatoa, East of Penge”, as Monty Python once joked. I accept your qualifier about the gritty romance of certain “dirty old towns”, but Britain excels in a geographical bathos which is entirely alien to US culture.
  • Options

Breath easy Big G. It's legit :D

https://www.nationalworld.com/business/hermes-changed-name-evri-parcel-delivery-company-rebrand-explained-widespread-criticism-3611936
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Don't know if people can help but I'm trying to think of examples of NOT poking the Russian bear. So far:

1)Urging Ukraine not to leave the Soviet Union (George HW Bush)
    2)Allowing Russia to inherit the Soviet Union's permanent seat on the UN Security council
    3)Providing aid to Russia after the Soviet Union collapsed
    4)Persuading Ukraine to give up its nuclear weapons
    5)Allowing Russia to join the G7
    6)Launching the International Space Station

Should all of this be discounted because of Nato expansion? The dictum of not poking the bear isn't much use if the bear is hungry. Unfortunately Yeltsin chose the wrong successor and all we could have done was a better policy of containment and deterrence.

Would restoring Nato to its cold war boundaries be a victory for Russia? Well it would cause great unease in eastern Europe so long as Russia persists with its 'sphere of influence' mentality but you could easily envisage some kind of military alliance between Poland, Ukraine, the Baltics, Czechs, Slovaks and possibly Romania. Given what has happened in Ukraine they would probably look to go nuclear as well. How would Russia like that? Is this the sort of conversation our diplomats have with their Kremlin counterparts or do they just nod along respectfully whilst the Siloviki spout their awful lies?

Inviting Russia to join the 'NATO-Partnership for Peace' in 1994 should also be on that list I think.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited April 2022
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Absurdly naive

Unless the Mail on Sunday fabricated its "Tory MP" sources knowing it was really a story from Labour, it was definitely planted by the Conservatives. I suppose it was a "seemed like a good idea at the time" mistake.
    Bit more than just a mistake. IANAL but I wonder whether it is criminal sexual harassment to accuse a woman of committing sexual harassment in the workplace just because she dresses normally and smartly.
    Political spin operations sometimes offer stories to journalists to substitute for other more damaging stories that they are about to publish. Maybe that happened here, who knows? The coordinated identical messages of condemnation from Johnson and cabinet ministers following publication suggest to me the official Conservative spin operation was (a) responsible for the original story and (b) was in damage limitation mode afterwards - ie whatever original purpose they had for the story was seen as a mistake.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

Remain would win.

Keep on dreaming.

Germany and France are members of that club too, if their actions are so vile then we should not be a member of that either surely?

Indeed Russia remains in the G20 club that we are in for that matter. Thats before we get to the small matter of the UN and UNSC...

Or we could grow up, and recognise that different countries have sovereignty and differing ideas, and that diplomacy is the way forward to build friendship, peace and prosperity. After all Winston Churchill did say that Jaw-Jaw is better than War-War.

Yes, but (whispers quietly): France and Germany are the biggest members of the EU. They are not the biggest members of NATO.

Aside from that, well done!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

'Gaily into Ruislip Gardens
    Runs the red electric train....'

Britain, at least England, does it differently. Like one of Betjeman's other gems is a great poem, about faith, with an underlying theme of trolleybuses.
  • Options
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,301

Be careful. Some of these postal texts /emails are designed to get you logging into malware sites.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, I can buy that. It either came from anti-Borisovians in the PCP or Labour spin ops

And on that Bleeding Obvious note, I must depart, as the rain has stopped, and I want to go look at a water pump*

*Helen Keller's water pump
    Still no truck with this "vulva" nonsense, then.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

'Gaily into Ruislip Gardens
    Runs the red electric train....'

Britain, at least England, does it differently. Like one of Betjeman's other gems is a great poem, about faith, with an underlying theme of trolleybuses.
    ‘You must take the "A" train
    To go to Sugar Hill, way up in Harlem
    If you miss the "A" train
    You'll find you missed the quickest way to Harlem.’
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

*Was* a theme. Disturbingly London Calling is 40+ years old.

Ewan MacColl wrote Dirty Old Town, not the Pogues. Quite a remarkably productive and influential career, not least producing Kirsty, though the Ballad of Stalin maybe not a high point.

• Options

Be careful. Some of these postal texts /emails are designed to get you logging into malware sites.
    Yeah that's true. I never click any links contained within emails, private messages on Facebook etc.
  • Options

Absolutely but coincidentally I saw them delivering to a neighbour yesterday

I assume the question is has Hermes been taken over ?
  • Options

A general tip: *never* follow links from emails, even if displayed in a browser. Always enter the URL manually.

(I don't know if Chrome et al's engines have fixed various issues, but IMO it's good advice.)
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

“Krakatoa, East of Penge”, as Monty Python once joked. I accept your qualifier about the gritty romance of certain “dirty old towns”, but Britain excels in a geographical bathos which is entirely alien to US culture.
    Westward Ho!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

https://www.nationalworld.com/business/hermes-changed-name-evri-parcel-delivery-company-rebrand-explained-widespread-criticism-3611936
    Thanks Gin - maybe we are all suspicious of these things these days
  • Options

No they've rebranded as the Hermes brand was in the gutter...
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Westward Ho!
    Ha. Yes, I guess exception must be made for certain West Country romances. Daphne du Maurier etc etc etc. Good shout.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I'm not sure that's true either. You can find this everywhere: familiarity breeds contempt

America is the exception not the rule. Because America WAS new and therefore entirely exciting. For 100 years any song about anywhere in America sounded fun. Oooh. Chattanooga! Last Train to Clarksville. Route 66. New York, New York. Crossroads...

That period is coming to a close, in fact it's probably over, and has been over for some time

Songs than romanticise American places now sound kinda dumb, because everyone knows America has terrific social problems, it is no longer the new frontier, and a lot of its towns and cities have been in visible decline for a while, and the world has noticed

It's still a marvellous country, of course. But it is not selling itself, or able to sell itself, as it once did, and this includes musically

OK, to the water pump!
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

One of my earliest geographical discoveries, was looking at a map and realizing that Krakatoa is WEST of Java.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I once took the last train to Clarkston.

(well actually it was the last train from Clarkston, but I am using poetic licence)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Thanks Gin - maybe we are all suspicious of these things these days
    Headline in your morning paper -

"Thanks Gin!" - Local Resident Gives Credit Where Credit is Due

• Options
    @Leon

You missed Big River by Jimmy Nail
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I once took the last train to Clarkston.

(well actually it was the last train from Clarkston, but I am using poetic licence)
    Somebody Robbed the Glendale Train - New Riders of the Purple Sage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7JYOC7TSc
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited April 2022
    24 hours from

Deleted. Same link as Gin...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,195

Leon said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I was in a debate the other night with some Americans about The Worst Place in America and they decided Terre Haute Indiana takes some beating (I've never been there, so I have no idea)

It does sound like Indiana is pretty grim

The thing about Cities of American Decline in the south is that they still have the nice climate. OK you're dirt poor, but you can sit on a pile of used tyres and take ket in your tee shirt

In the Rustbelt north, they have those long bitter winters and grey skies, which must make it way more depressing

Terre Haute is where Stephen King’s Trashcan Man comes from…
    It’s where the Federal Government executes people.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    TimS said:

Anyone posted this yet?

BREAKING: Explosions have been reported in Tiraspol, which is located in Moldova’s breakaway region of Transnistria

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1518618906742636550?s=20&t=8CLN2abz1i2UCPcyLjQCig

In for a penny and all that?

I think I saw a rumour that Romania were considering sending troops to Moldova.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

*Was* a theme. Disturbingly London Calling is 40+ years old.

Ewan MacColl wrote Dirty Old Town, not the Pogues. Quite a remarkably productive and influential career, not least producing Kirsty, though the Ballad of Stalin maybe not a high point.

Kirsty MacCall also used British place names in her songs:

Where are all the human beings?
    Have they been sent to Milton Keynes?
    They used to live round here but now they're gone
    For some of us still life moves on
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Yes , Hermes were so diabolical they had to change their name
  • Options

@Leon

My favorite version

The Highwaymen - Big River
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Omtt1xC-o
  • Options
    The lip sync is out by a mile on TalkTV on Virgin cable.
  • Options
    There's panic on the streets of Carlisle,
    Dublin, Dundee, Humberside.
  • Options
    Bit better now but still not great
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    malcolmg said:

Their plans to rebrand to Rishi had to be hastily rejigged.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Evening Malc - I hope they changed their management as well

I bet Arran looks bonnie tonight
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

One of my earliest geographical discoveries, was looking at a map and realizing that Krakatoa is WEST of Java.
    Yes. That was the original title. Studio changed it as it sounded more exotic.
    And you have to agree it does.
  • Options

Sun telly off to a rocky start?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,153
    edited April 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I can’t help the way I feel
    I lost my bag in Newport Pagnell.
  • Options
    Ride the sainted rhythms on the midnight train to Romford.

Underworld / Dirty Epic
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sun telly off to a rocky start?
    If I were starting a channel, I wouldn't start it with Trump and Piers.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited April 2022

Edit deleted already answered
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,424
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I lost my bag in Newport Parnell.
    Panic on the streets of London
    Panic on the streets of Birmingham
    I wonder to myself
    Could life ever be sane again?
    The Leeds side-streets that you slip down
    I wonder to myself
    Hopes may rise on the Grasmere
    But honey pie, you're not safe here
    So you run down to the safety of the town
    But there's panic on the streets of Carlisle
    Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
    I wonder to myself
  • Options
    If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
    Take the A road, the okay road that's the best
    Go motorin' on the A13
    Well, if you're looking for a thrill that's new
    Take in Fords, Dartford Tunnel and the river too
    Go motorin' on the A13
    It starts down in Wapping
    There ain't no stopping
    By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
    Down to Grays Thurrock
    And rather near Basildon
    Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea
    Chalkwell, Prittlewell
    Southend's the end
    If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
    Take the A road, the okay road that's the best
    Go motorin' on the A13
    It starts down in Wapping
    There ain't no stopping
    By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
    Down to Grays Thurrock
    And rather near Basildon
    Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea
    Chalkwell, Prittlewell
    Southend's the end
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Much too late, surely.
    Yeah it is, we’re out, it’s done.

But it wouldn’t look good, to say the least. Especially if the government knew and simply ignored it for, well, politics. For their backbenchers. For whatever reason. Not now Russia’s the baddie, unequivocally.

I don’t think it’ll get that far. It’s just interesting to ponder the hypothetical fallout.
    I'm not sure telling 17 million voters "you're so stupid you only voted that way because of Russian money" would be very successful, tbh.
    Perhaps, but it isn't quite that simple. Most people are very susceptible to remarketing via social media. Anyone that thinks themselves immune is probably the most suggestible.
    Given the amount of pro-Remain rigging that Cameron did, complaining about a bit of Russian money on the other side seems a little churlish.
    Well done for winning this years Dumbest Comment on PB Award. You seriously think we should not be concerned about a hostile state trying to subvert our democratic system? FFS!
    We were.

It's why we voted to Leave the EU.
    It is not a state and it is not hostile. Do you use Facebook?
    The EU isn't hostile? They've had a funny way of showing it in recent years.
    Political disagreements do not amount to hostility. Idiots in the EU and the UK just have an interest escalating rhetoric and petty sniping.
    I guess the depressing thing is that if anyone in this country can believe that the EU is either a state or hostile then there is an even higher level of stupidity in this country than many of us feared. Such people ought to do a quick trip to Ukraine to see what hostile looks like.
    In todays yougov 5% of Britons (9% of Leavers, 8% of Conservatives) think France is generally a hostile threat to Britain.

They definitely ought to be given a one way ticket to Mariupol. Thick twats.
    C bomb defined as a bannable word earlier, is this any different?
  • Options
    For fourteen days and fourteen nights we’d trawl those northern seas,
    Six of us and a [galley pot and night in front of us],
    I was just nineteen, a boy aboard, Jack London was my stuff,
    The rest of the crew were all bucky men but the skipper was named MacDuff,

In the cold and wet, the dark and rough, the work was never done,
    For every four hours the chain bell rang with another catch to run,
    Then knee deep in fish that were gasping their last and us with our blades in hand,
    We’d slit their throats and clean their guts and laugh at those on land,

One night alone and up on deck beyond Bill Bailey’s Bank,
    Just me, my soul and the roar of the [scuds] and the swirling black below,
    Wet with spray and numb with cold and fresh bile in my throat,
    I was counting the hours back to Peterhead and the youth years lost afloat,

The draw of the deep has a mighty strong arm and me, I was playing to win,
    As we wrestled there on the starboard [side my soul was relieved from sin],
    And through the chunder of diesel power and crumbling cliffs of [search],
    I heard a cry and a sweet lament, a clarion call so strange,
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    On which note. Saw Johnny Marr last Wednesday.
    A blistering version of this fourth song. Just when we were wondering if we'd get any.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    Blood in the streets
    In the town of New Haven
    Blood stains the roofs
    And the palm trees of Venice
    Blood in my love
    In the terrible summer
    Bloody red sun of
    Fantastic L.A.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,155

New name, but the service is as ever. Evri package arrives broken or is lost in transit.
  • Options
    Alasdair_ said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

London Calling
    Pulp's Magnum Opus: Sheffield Sex City. Its opening incantation is just a breathy list of Sheffield suburbs (as well as, for what I can only assume to be poetic reasons, the small town of Wombwell). Much of the best of Pulp up to about 1993 is also very clearly set in Sheffield (such as Sheffield Sex City's prequel 'My Legendary Girlfriend'.)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself

Brilliant. I don’t know if it is the case but a mate of mine insisted ‘hang the DJ’ was dedicated to Steve Wright.

Charles, don't you ever crave
    To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
    Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?
  • Options

For fourteen days and fourteen nights we’d trawl those northern seas,
    Six of us and a [galley pot and night in front of us],
    I was just nineteen, a boy aboard, Jack London was my stuff,
    The rest of the crew were all bucky men but the skipper was named MacDuff,

In the cold and wet, the dark and rough, the work was never done,
    For every four hours the chain bell rang with another catch to run,
    Then knee deep in fish that were gasping their last and us with our blades in hand,
    We’d slit their throats and clean their guts and laugh at those on land,

One night alone and up on deck beyond Bill Bailey’s Bank,
    Just me, my soul and the roar of the [scuds] and the swirling black below,
    Wet with spray and numb with cold and fresh bile in my throat,
    I was counting the hours back to Peterhead and the youth years lost afloat,

The draw of the deep has a mighty strong arm and me, I was playing to win,
    As we wrestled there on the starboard [side my soul was relieved from sin],
    And through the chunder of diesel power and crumbling cliffs of [search],
    I heard a cry and a sweet lament, a clarion call so strange,

My late brother in law would be familiar with that as he was a Peterhead skipper
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

TimS said:

Anyone posted this yet?

BREAKING: Explosions have been reported in Tiraspol, which is located in Moldova’s breakaway region of Transnistria

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1518618906742636550?s=20&t=8CLN2abz1i2UCPcyLjQCig

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING:

Unknown assailants just fired off 2-3 rocket-propelled grenade shots at the Ministry of State Security in the Moldovan “breakaway republic” Transnistria.

Supreme Council Deputy (Transnistria's legislature) Andrey Safonov confirms the attack.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24

====

"Unknown assailants" being FSB presumably. Trying to stir up trouble.
  • Options
    From Gazza

The fog on the Tyne is all mine mine mine, the fog on the Tyne is all mine
  • Options

TimS said:

Anyone posted this yet?

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING:

Unknown assailants just fired off 2-3 rocket-propelled grenade shots at the Ministry of State Security in the Moldovan “breakaway republic” Transnistria.

Supreme Council Deputy (Transnistria's legislature) Andrey Safonov confirms the attack.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24

====

"Unknown assailants" being FSB presumably. Trying to stir up trouble.
    False flag
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    Ghost Town by The Specials is a masterpiece about an English city. But is it London or Coventry? I always thought the latter, but have heard it might be the former.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

GIN1138 said:

Absurdly naive

The mirror twinkles. The crow tilts its head
    This is not an explanation for why you read this story as "Poor old Boris can't do his duties for slobbering at Angela's flaunted legs".

Don't answer if it's uncomfortable - it's not that important - but I am curious.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,155
    Taz said:

From Gazza

With a little help from Alan Hull and Lindisfarne.
  • Options

@Leon

My favorite version

Brilliant, but different song
  • Options
    Sticking with my theme, surely the KLF's 'It's grim up north' covers a multitude of places?

Bolton,
    Barnsley,
    Nelson,
    Colne,
    Burnley
    Bradford,
    Buxton,
    Crewe,
    Warrington,
    Widnes,
    Wigan,
    Leeds,
    Northwich,
    Nantwich,
    Knutsford,
    Hull,
    Sale,
    Salford,
    Southport,
    Leigh,
    Derby,
    Kearsley
    Keighley
    Maghull,
    Harrogate,
    Huddersfield,
    Oldham, Lancs,
    Grimsby,
    Glossop,
    Hebden Bridge,
    Brighouse,
    Bootle,
    Featherstone,
    Speke,
    Runcorn,
    Rotherham,
    Rochdale,
    Barrow,
    Morecambe,
    Macclesfield,
    Lytham St. Annes
    Clitheroe,
    Cleethorpes,
    The M62,
    Pendlebury,
    Prestwich,
    Preston,
    York,
    Skipton,
    Scunthorpe,
    Scarborough-on-Sea,
    Chester,
    Chorley,
    Cheedle Hulme,
    Ormskirk,
    Accrington Stanley,
    And Leigh,
    Ossett,
    Otley,
    Ikley Moor,
    Sheffield,
    Manchester,
    Castleford,
    Skem,
    Doncaster,
    Dewsbury,
    Hali-fax,
    Bingley,
    Bramall,
    Are all in the North.

(I occasionally consider doing a walk between all these places, but it would become the 'travelling salesman' problem to work out the best route...
  • Options
    Taz said:

From Gazza

Indeed.
    Although that was the criminally underrated Alan Hull.
    Who my mother-in-law dated, disturbingly enough.
  • Options

Taz said:

From Gazza

With a little help from Alan Hull and Lindisfarne.
    Lindisfarne are playing Wylam brewery tonight raising cash for Ukraine refugees.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

From Gazza

Indeed.
    BBC2 recently had a documentary presented by Sam Fender about him and the band.
  • Options
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

From Gazza

Indeed.
    BBC2 recently had a documentary presented by Sam Fender about him and the band.
    Yeah. And it was great. Many songs I knew well, but didn't realise they were by him.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Bit better now but still not great

Sky has got an audio delay function in the settings, you might need to delay the audio a bit, due to a poor HDMI chipset in the talk talk box as it may not process the sound fast enough to keep up
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

@Leon

My favorite version

Brilliant, but different song
    Jimmy Nail - Big River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_519h95XFs
  • Options
    Mozza at his finest

Oh, here in London
    Home of the brash, outrageous and free
    You are repressed
    But you're remarkably dressed
    Is it real?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

Not sure that's true

Baker Street is a terrific song, I agree. Remember it well since it was a hit in the year I left my small northern town as a callow youth and, knowing no-one, came to Central London for uni.

It's theme - loneliness in the big city - could therefore have been poignantly relevant, except it wasn't since I was an immediate big hit with everyone and made loads of friends very quickly and took to South Ken like I'd been born there.

But my mum didn't know that and - I'm told - she used to cry when it came on the radio.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Timmycool said:

Leon said:

Where can I get that?

I left the north again
    I travelled south again
    I got confused
    I killed a horse
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself
    I wonder to myself

Brilliant. I don’t know if it is the case but a mate of mine insisted ‘hang the DJ’ was dedicated to Steve Wright.

Charles, don't you ever crave
    To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
    Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?
    It was Steve Wright. Moz took exception to him following up a news report about the explosion at chernobyl - about which his inclination was to panic - by playing a song by Wham! - which he felt was treating the situation with insufficient gravity.
  • Options
    Rusholme Ruffians

The last night of the fair
    By the big wheel generator
    A boy is stabbed
    His money is grabbed
    And the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine
  • Options

Sticking with my theme, surely the KLF's 'It's grim up north' covers a multitude of places?

Bolton,
    Barnsley,
    Nelson,
    Colne,
    Burnley
    Bradford,
    Buxton,
    Crewe,
    Warrington,
    Widnes,
    Wigan,
    Leeds,
    Northwich,
    Nantwich,
    Knutsford,
    Hull,
    Sale,
    Salford,
    Southport,
    Leigh,
    Derby,
    Kearsley
    Keighley
    Maghull,
    Harrogate,
    Huddersfield,
    Oldham, Lancs,
    Grimsby,
    Glossop,
    Hebden Bridge,
    Brighouse,
    Bootle,
    Featherstone,
    Speke,
    Runcorn,
    Rotherham,
    Rochdale,
    Barrow,
    Morecambe,
    Macclesfield,
    Lytham St. Annes
    Clitheroe,
    Cleethorpes,
    The M62,
    Pendlebury,
    Prestwich,
    Preston,
    York,
    Skipton,
    Scunthorpe,
    Scarborough-on-Sea,
    Chester,
    Chorley,
    Cheedle Hulme,
    Ormskirk,
    Accrington Stanley,
    And Leigh,
    Ossett,
    Otley,
    Ikley Moor,
    Sheffield,
    Manchester,
    Castleford,
    Skem,
    Doncaster,
    Dewsbury,
    Hali-fax,
    Bingley,
    Bramall,
    Are all in the North.

(I occasionally consider doing a walk between all these places, but it would become the 'travelling salesman' problem to work out the best route...

I grew up in Cheadle Hulme. But I was always disproportionately worried that the lyric was 'Cheadle. Hulme.' Rather than 'Cheadle Hulme.'
    When you're from Cheadle Hulme, that's about the scale of your worries.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys. One of the very best London songs - up there with Waterloo Sunset and London Calling. Also Rainy Night in Soho and Transmetropolitan by The Pogues. London gets some terrific tunes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    GIN1138 said:

30 minutes until Sun TV launches...

Be still my beating heart.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Pulp: The Catcliffe Shakedown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOyqQuaF5f4

A hymn of pure hatred to a real place

Down the Parkway follow your nose to a place where nobody wants to go
    It's a fare and a half; they're having a larf
    Everybody's broken or they're a dwarf

Pierrot mirror on the wall who is the ace-est of them all?
    The Catcliffe girl who gets out before her 18th birthday
This discussion has been closed.