Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s almost certain now that Johnson won’t be fined by end of March – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,251
    SeanT said:

I have to say, @Leon is completely right about this

I rarely find myself in total agreement with a commenter, on this scale, but there it is. Some of you should be ashamed

https://youtu.be/3Phy6ZQQzRc
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,133
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Hey Tim T, the Fox Weather Channel tells me that Maryland is gonna start thawing out Wed or Thurs.

Connected with massive upsurge from Gulf of Mexico of super-heated air NOT directly related to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Cancun).

Inshallah. It has been a bit brass monkeys here for the last few days, and we've had to put up 300' of 7' deer fencing in the howling frigid winds as Mr. Foxy has managed to run off with 10 of our 19 chickens in a matter of a few days. Saw the little bugger two days ago taking one from right by the swimming pool. Fucking load of use the German Shepherds were - falling down on their job duties considerably.
    What's @Foxy doing in Maryland? Shouldn't he be at that hospital in Leicester?
    Could it be a truly epic case of bigamy? Esp. during the pandemic!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- Cases - UP. R is close to 1.
    - In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Admissions UP. R is reducing slowly.
    - Deaths - UP

Don't you mean cases does? only very slightly, but if you compare todays number with same day last week, or this week with last week, then cases are down, all be it by only 3%, but down is down.
    You may be big Rich, you may have taken on PBs collective agreement of Putin heading to defeat, but you can’t take on the Malmesbury Monoliths.
    Yes! Even those PBers who detest (or at least deplore) Malmebury's politics respect his graphics!!

Even - or is it especially? - when we don't know what the heck they mean!!!
    And that’s why you can’t say they are wrong.

They have a Pavlov dog trigger with me, soon as I see them I start mixing cocktails.
    If you only despise my politics, I'm doing it wrong.

The graphs are pretty simple - mostly about showing relative shifts in the data. What's going up and what's going down.

As to cases going up or down - so far, case R is still above 1. That data is delayed by a few days, but is considerably more reliable than comparing days over intervals...

They are very beautiful. Especially the green one.
    As much as they have been informative during the pandemic, and I am thankful for the hard work @Malmesbury puts into them, it’s not clear to me what value daily government statistics add now, beyond contributing negatively to the nation’s already fragile mental health.

People are trying to get on with their lives, covid is now lower risk than influenza. What exactly is the advantage of offering daily infection data offered to a granular local level? “We are riddled with it around here…”
    I think there is now an understanding among people who are realising that it’s mostly not dangerous now.* They’ve had it and recovered. All their friends and family the same. There is disruption at school/work etc as people are off sick.
    The pandemic is over, unless an unthinkable variant arrives.

*People are dying every day, and still getting admitted to hospital. But with 1 in 11 testing positive at any time according to the ONS this wave will subside soon, and the numbers going to hospital are minuscule in comparison.
    So yes stop the daily doom data. It only upsets the iSAGE crowd and their sycophants “Of course I Still wear an ffp3 on the one occasion a month I leave the house, at 2 am to visit the 24 h Tesco. You can all thank me and worship my virtue signalling”
    Are the beautiful Monoliths something to do with covid, and not to indicate daily gin time?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Hey Tim T, the Fox Weather Channel tells me that Maryland is gonna start thawing out Wed or Thurs.

Connected with massive upsurge from Gulf of Mexico of super-heated air NOT directly related to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Cancun).

Inshallah. It has been a bit brass monkeys here for the last few days, and we've had to put up 300' of 7' deer fencing in the howling frigid winds as Mr. Foxy has managed to run off with 10 of our 19 chickens in a matter of a few days. Saw the little bugger two days ago taking one from right by the swimming pool. Fucking load of use the German Shepherds were - falling down on their job duties considerably.
    What's @Foxy doing in Maryland? Shouldn't he be at that hospital in Leicester?
    That's what I wanted you to think...
    Well, it doesn't seem like you to chicken out.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Don't you mean cases does? only very slightly, but if you compare todays number with same day last week, or this week with last week, then cases are down, all be it by only 3%, but down is down.
    You may be big Rich, you may have taken on PBs collective agreement of Putin heading to defeat, but you can’t take on the Malmesbury Monoliths.
    Yes! Even those PBers who detest (or at least deplore) Malmebury's politics respect his graphics!!

They have a Pavlov dog trigger with me, soon as I see them I start mixing cocktails.

The graphs are pretty simple - mostly about showing relative shifts in the data. What's going up and what's going down.

As to cases going up or down - so far, case R is still above 1. That data is delayed by a few days, but is considerably more reliable than comparing days over intervals...

As much as they have been informative during the pandemic, and I am thankful for the hard work @Malmesbury puts into them, it’s not clear to me what value daily government statistics add now, beyond contributing negatively to the nation’s already fragile mental health.

People are trying to get on with their lives, covid is now lower risk than influenza. What exactly is the advantage of offering daily infection data offered to a granular local level? “We are riddled with it around here…”
    I think there is now an understanding among people who are realising that it’s mostly not dangerous now.* They’ve had it and recovered. All their friends and family the same. There is disruption at school/work etc as people are off sick.

*People are dying every day, and still getting admitted to hospital. But with 1 in 11 testing positive at any time according to the ONS this wave will subside soon, and the numbers going to hospital are minuscule in comparison.
    So yes stop the daily doom data. It only upsets the iSAGE crowd and their sycophants “Of course I Still wear an ffp3 on the one occasion a month I leave the house, at 2 am to visit the 24 h Tesco. You can all thank me and worship my virtue signalling”
    Are the beautiful Monoliths something to do with covid, and not to indicate daily gin time?
    Well, they can have dual uses - or treble, to calculate the time of year for ritual sacrifices as well, provide an income for Emglish Heritage in 6 millennia ....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,301

Leon said:

SeanT said:

I rarely find myself in total agreement with a commenter, on this scale, but there it is. Some of you should be ashamed

Thanks

But I feel like I'm banging my head against a very very brick wall. Too many on here don't even want to acknowledge the issue.

What can you do? Being proved right will be no consolation
    Who (or whom?) was slurping which fruits-de-mer overlooking what beauty spot when this were posted?
    Try saying it with 'he' and 'him' and you'll know when to use the accusative case.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,120
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Every now and then, I like to check on my erstwhile colleague who went over to the dark side about 20 years ago, Scott Ritter.

Here he explains how the Russian plan is going brilliantly:

https://twitter.com/RealScottRitter/status/1508813631311466496

It's a good piece.

And if the Russian's hadn't lost a quite ridiculous amount of materiel, and seen an elite paratroop unit completely wiped out at Kyiv airport, then it would be quite plausible.

Because dropping 1,000 paratroopers at an airport, and then failing to get regular troops anywhere near the airport before they were killed, seems like an odd feint. Or, at the very least a rather unnecessary one.
    Even in a Market Garden, some people don't know their onions.
    I think details of the operation were leeked.
    For the poor bloody paratroops, that's shallot.
    Going to run rings round us in this punning outbreak
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,893

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Well it’s nice that something so functional has a beauty of its own, and a hidden purpose too.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Thanks

But I feel like I'm banging my head against a very very brick wall. Too many on here don't even want to acknowledge the issue.

Talking like that about Radiohead is damn brave round here.....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

24 full-sample Westminster voting intention polls were conducted* in Scotland during 2021.

To date in 2022: zero.

Something’s up.

(*published)

Hmm. Niot having [edit] 6 in 3 months feels like it's getting more than a stat fluctuation, especially as you'd expect spacing to be non-random to begin with (ie more evenly spaced than the null hypothesis).

In 2021, what proportion of the - as you say - published polls were funded by Unionist parties or media, do you know?
    87.5% of the 2021 polls were published by Unionist media. That they appear to have suddenly desisted (or at least desisted from publishing the findings) speaks volumes.
    Mm, that's about 7/8 - so that leaves just 3 polls with non-Unionist funders. One every four months on average. And we're only three momths into 2022. Barring posh Bayesian analysis, a very rough conclusion is that we can't legitimately rule out the null hypothesis that the non-Unionist funders are behaving normally, all other things equal. Which is a massive contrast.
    I’d argue the unionist funders are behaving rationally too

Polls are a relatively cheap way to produce a front page story.

There’s been quite a lot of other stuff going on. Another poll saying 48/52 one way or the other wouldn’t create many waves right now so isn’t worth the money
    I did consider that but there is more to the matter than that; timing. We're talking about more than just the last month, and in addition the Scons turning down the Ruth Davidson Says NOOOO!!! from about 15 down to 1 happened well before the current eastern affairs.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

darkage said:

I've just put in an order for a new entry level Toyota Yaris (hybrid). Got a 10% discount on the list price and 0% finance for 42 months with a low deposit. Presumably some end of financial year panic on the part of the dealer. The price of used cars is too high - may as well buy a new one if you can wait 4 months for delivery.

We have a 2016 Yaris, also a hybrid. I love it. Easy to drive as electric drive chain, decent economy 62 mpg in summer, 58 in winter on unleaded.
    However, despite the hybrid hype, it’s just an efficient petro car. You can’t charge it up other than from the petrol engine, plus regenerative braking etc. It’s also slightly too small, so next model up would suit us better. But still love it.
    I don't really understand these Hybrids that you cant charge up apart form direct from the engine, would it be that complex/expensive to have a plug on it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Every now and then, I like to check on my erstwhile colleague who went over to the dark side about 20 years ago, Scott Ritter.

It's a good piece.

And if the Russian's hadn't lost a quite ridiculous amount of materiel, and seen an elite paratroop unit completely wiped out at Kyiv airport, then it would be quite plausible.

Because dropping 1,000 paratroopers at an airport, and then failing to get regular troops anywhere near the airport before they were killed, seems like an odd feint. Or, at the very least a rather unnecessary one.
    Paratroopers are very lightly armed, aren't good against tanks or heavy ordnance, and are only good for 2-3 days before they run out of ammo.

Then, it's an easy job to round then up.

They're talked about like they're some sort of hyperpowerful mechanised supermarines but they're really just mobile light infantry and it's silly to drop mobile light infantry way behind enemy lines, and leave them to it, anywhere.
    The SU and then Russia invested quite a lot of time and money on airborne AFVs from WWII onwards, there was even (crazy) talk of tanks being airdropped with their crews inside. I assume the Hostomel operation didn’t have such support, or not enough of it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    BigRich said:

darkage said:

I've just put in an order for a new entry level Toyota Yaris (hybrid). Got a 10% discount on the list price and 0% finance for 42 months with a low deposit. Presumably some end of financial year panic on the part of the dealer. The price of used cars is too high - may as well buy a new one if you can wait 4 months for delivery.

We have a 2016 Yaris, also a hybrid. I love it. Easy to drive as electric drive chain, decent economy 62 mpg in summer, 58 in winter on unleaded.
    However, despite the hybrid hype, it’s just an efficient petro car. You can’t charge it up other than from the petrol engine, plus regenerative braking etc. It’s also slightly too small, so next model up would suit us better. But still love it.
    I don't really understand these Hybrids that you cant charge up apart form direct from the engine, would it be that complex/expensive to have a plug on it?
    Most of those hybrids have a very small battery, only good for a couple of miles. They’re designed to work in conjunction with the engine, rather than on their own.

The plug-in hybrids have a much larger battery, designed for 20-50 miles electric range, depending on the model.
  • Options
    Wifey made a cracking kedgeree tonight.

That's all.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Sorry to hear yr troubles. Guessing you're feeling less of a gentleman farmer after defrosting your long johns

My personal creed is, "if it don't scare the horses AND the chickens don't mind"

Which clearly your's do . . . or did.

Maybe you need more chicken wire? Leading to more chickenshit, in your situation a GOOD thing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Paratroopers are very lightly armed, aren't good against tanks or heavy ordnance, and are only good for 2-3 days before they run out of ammo.

They're talked about like they're some sort of hyperpowerful mechanised supermarines but they're really just mobile light infantry and it's silly to drop mobile light infantry way behind enemy lines, and leave them to it, anywhere.
    Their other use is of course the element of surprise. Seize a lightly defended target or destroy stuff when least expected.
    No one at all anticipated them at an airport near the capital of a country you'd been saying you're going to invade for months.
    "Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to Putin.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,237

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

This is all getting utterly ridiculous

I may need you to narrow that down a little.
    I'm afraid I'm simply not prepared to do that
    Without using the word Willy? Go on you can say it. We’ll let you dangle it out there again this evening. Untangle your tingle.

Lady Thatcher had a Willy.

And I’ve been out on my balcony trimming my little bush.
    Actually, Lady Thatcher had a Willie.
    I have a signed photo of Lady T’s Willie on my wall…
  • Options
    BigRich said:

darkage said:

Battery size is the key. Turn off the petrol and with full charge I’ve got about 8 miles range, if that. The hybrid gives superb economy in a nicish car, and lovely electrical transmission (automatic but not based on gears so lovely to drive). If it was a plug in it would need much bigger batteries.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

The SU and then Russia invested quite a lot of time and money on airborne AFVs from WWII onwards, there was even (crazy) talk of tanks being airdropped with their crews inside. I assume the Hostomel operation didn’t have such support, or not enough of it.
    Before WW2, in fact.

And they did put wings and empennage on an actual tank in WW2 - making a glider. I's still surprised that it didn't rip off the tracks on landing. The one time it flew, I believe, they forgot to warn the local airfields so when the brave chap piloting it landed in a hurry he was rounded up by an armed posse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiWPWsvMXw
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

They took a battering.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    BigRich said:

darkage said:

You need an extra box of electrical gubbins to apply the incoming leccy to the battery. This costs extra.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Its not exactly the same, but amphibious landings can be similar, put good troops in, can be effective for a few days, but you ether have to meet up with forces coming from another direction, or have a huge amount of ships to resupply, or you have just left elite troops to be surrounded, cut off and destroyed. can still be very effective in some situations, e.g. if you have surprise and are expecting to be hailed as liberators. but otherwise is a big risk. which is why I have sead on here that Odesa is safe. and the ships off the cost are mostly to tie down some Ukraine forces, and are not about to land troops.

• Options

cancelled

Sorry to hear that.

Who did YOU punch at the Oscars then?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887
    Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

Most of those hybrids have a very small battery, only good for a couple of miles. They’re designed to work in conjunction with the engine, rather than on their own.

The plug-in hybrids have a much larger battery, designed for 20-50 miles electric range, depending on the model.
    I had a plug in hybrid Niro, while waiting for the electric one. Local commuting was electric but after 35 miles it was just petrol. Both electric and IC engine were a bit gutless, I think conventional hybrids with the two working together are better.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

I had a plug in hybrid Niro, while waiting for the electric one. Local commuting was electric but after 35 miles it was just petrol. Both electric and IC engine were a bit gutless, I think conventional hybrids with the two working together are better.
    As I’ve said I love our hybrid, but you have to accept that it is just a petrol car. Next one I hope will be a full electric.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Lots of countries have tried airborne armoured vehicles. The problem is that you end up with a light tin can.

Anything really useful requires at least a heavy cargo plane to land to deliver it.

The closest anyone got is probably this

• Options
    TimT said:

Oryx's numbers going up quite rapidly now. Wondering if this is that he has got some help with the backlog, or if, as would be expected, and army on the run is losing more kit than it was when attacking.

333 tanks down ...

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Up to 335 now....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,292

Gordon Lubold
    @glubold
    ·
    47m
    Pentagon's Kirby just now, on reports that Russia is pulling out of the region around Kiev: "we believe that this is a repositioning, not a real withdrawal" and "we should be prepared to watch for a major offensive against other areas of Ukraine."

https://twitter.com/glubold/status/1508883327482277892
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

The plug-in is a weird half-way house, bought mostly for the company car tax advantages. Usually neither power unit is powerful enough on its own, and you have two lots of complex systems to cause a breakdown over time.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472
    Another victory for Mane over Salah. At least Salah took a penalty this time. Unfortunately, he missed.
  • Options

It looks like Ukraine has hit a weapons arsenal inside Russia:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1508874225393754114

Perhaps not; Russia has not the best history with good weapons handling, and it'd get worse in wartime chaos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49249504

And they also cause them in foreign countries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Vrbětice_ammunition_warehouses_explosions
    The Ukrainians are claiming it was a successful Tochka missile strike.

Wonderful news, amongst other things it sets the president, that Ukranisnas can and will attack over the boarder, so hard for Russia to latter clime that the Ukrainians have now crossed a red line.

P.S. can anybody translate I'm sorry My Ukrainian is almost as limited as my ability to speel in English.
  • Options
    Have we discussed the big news of the day, that Jackie Weaver was in the wrong?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Before WW2, in fact.

And they did put wings and empennage on an actual tank in WW2 - making a glider. I's still surprised that it didn't rip off the tracks on landing. The one time it flew, I believe, they forgot to warn the local airfields so when the brave chap piloting it landed in a hurry he was rounded up by an armed posse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiWPWsvMXw
    That reminds me of the story of an early jet-plane flight in the UK during WW2. The pilot had a problem mid-flight, and put it down on an reserve/emergency airfields. One of the local guards cycled up to him. "'ere mate, what's happened to your propeller?"

"It fell off," the pilot replied
  • Options
    I can just about see a case for a plug in hybrid that does say 50 miles on charge. Most commutes would be purely electric, but you would be able to do the odd 300 mile trip with no issues. This is a deterrent to people, who fear a full electric would mean issues in popping 150 miles to visit mum for a couple of hours but would struggle to recharge.

• Options
    TimT said:

Oryx's numbers going up quite rapidly now. Wondering if this is that he has got some help with the backlog, or if, as would be expected, and army on the run is losing more kit than it was when attacking.

333 tanks down ...

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

I suspect he ether now has more help or is getting better at doing it.

However, as the Ukraine advance they are likely to be photoing and tweeting, every destroyed thing they find, even it it was destroyed/brook down 2 weeks ago. there will still be a delay of a few days as he works though the back log.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Bring back the Soviet Onion!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Weird isn’t it. I had a suspicion that the really angry guys might have been corr3ct on standing orders. They looked and sounded just like the type who would know chapter and verse.
    In the court of public opinion clearly she was right, but technically maybe not...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm shocked!!! shocked.

abut what this time?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,301

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Bring back the Soviet Onion!
    The Zwiebelturm?

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,321

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Although certainly in WW2 for the 101st, they were probably the fittest and best soldiers the Americans had, so rigorous was the selection. Highly motivated, extremely fit and well trained. But lacking in firepower.
    A Bridge Too Far, and all that.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Weird isn’t it. I had a suspicion that the really angry guys might have been corr3ct on standing orders. They looked and sounded just like the type who would know chapter and verse.
    In the court of public opinion clearly she was right, but technically maybe not...
    I'm not surprised. And I'm not surprised that it cost £85,000 for it to be confirmed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Where he is right is that the Russians are, even if not by design, likely tying up Ukrainian forces in the wrong places "just in case".
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,408
    BigRich said:

Perhaps not; Russia has not the best history with good weapons handling, and it'd get worse in wartime chaos.

Wonderful news, amongst other things it sets the president, that Ukranisnas can and will attack over the boarder, so hard for Russia to latter clime that the Ukrainians have now crossed a red line.

P.S. can anybody translate I'm sorry My Ukrainian is almost as limited as my ability to speel in English.
    Very early in the war Ukraine fired some missiles at a military airbase in Russia outside Rostov-on-Don. The sage judgement at the time was that it was use it or lose it, they might as well fire them at something, anything, before the Russians destroyed the missiles on the ground.

And here we are, week five of the war, and Ukraine is claiming another target hit with its missiles, following the sinking of the warship at Berdyansk, with Russia appearing no nearer to establishing air superiority.

And, however they try to dress it up, forced into making a retreat from Kyiv due to being defeated in battles over the attempt to encircle the capital.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Nah it was a brilliant plan to discredit Shogyi and eliminate him as a potential threat. Or something.
  • Options

That's all.

My Deliveroo driver's been sent the completely wrong way.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Ukrainian Armed Forces struck a Russian missile and artillery armament in the village of Oktyabrskoye near Belgorod with a Tochka-U. These warehouses are used to supply ammunition used to kill Ukrainians. Judging by the explosions, the 19th Missile Brigade is holding effective talks on the demilitarisation and denazification of Russia. This is the type of negotiation that Ukraine unanimously supports. Ukraine will send the Russian army straight to hell.
    Loving the bravado. :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Without using the word Willy? Go on you can say it. We’ll let you dangle it out there again this evening. Untangle your tingle.

Is he hung like a Scallion? :lol:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,044

Lord Lebedev attacks Starmer

In a second tweet, Lord Lebedev added: "And in the spirit of transparency here is a text to me from Keir Starmer. 'Congratulations on your elevation to the House of Lords. All best wishes, Keir'."

He continued: "There's a war in Europe. Britain is facing the highest cost of living since the 1950s. And you choose to debate me based on no facts and pure innuendo. What's become of you UK Labour? #shadowofyourformerself."

So you are going with Lebedev the patriot and Starmer the traitor.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Although certainly in WW2 for the 101st, they were probably the fittest and best soldiers the Americans had, so rigorous was the selection. Highly motivated, extremely fit and well trained. But lacking in firepower.
    A Bridge Too Far, and all that.
    Also, Jimi Hendrix's regiment
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:
    It’s much bigger than that (and a misleading headline - the allegations are nothing to do with Staines FC). They are against Downing, which is a mainstream fund manager and a major VCT provider

Edit: downing not happy

https://www.downing.co.uk/news/downings-response-to-the-allegations-by-mr-dixon-on-the-staines-town-football-club-website
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,116
    Evening all :)

Plenty of polling about today.

In France, the trend of a diminishing Macron leas over Le Pen continues. Macron has slipped back from the 30%+ values of 2-3 weeks ago to around 27% while Marine Le Pen hovers around 20% (21% in one poll). Melenchon is a clear third on about 15% with Zemmour fading into the low teens and Pecresse slipping below 10%.

Polls in Hungary continue to show the Fidesz Alliance with a narrow lead over the Opposition Bloc. One poll has the lead at just 2 points (48-46) with other polls showing a slightly larger lead.

Sweden votes in September and the latest poll has the governing Social Democrats opening an 11-point lead over the Moderates (33-22) with the Sweden Democrats on 19% with the Left on 8%, the Centre on 7% and the Christian Democrats on 6%. Given it seems unlikely any party will work with the Sweden Democrats, a coalition led by the Social Democrats looks the most likely outcome currently.
  • Options
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Thanks

Get a room you two! You’re making me puke in my mouth
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Where he is right is that the Russians are, even if not by design, likely tying up Ukrainian forces in the wrong places "just in case".
    yes, while the twitter trend is tying to make a point of Russian skill and is very unconvincing in that, it is non the less the case that the Ukrainians have mostly been tied up along a long front with most of there offensive capacity taking small amounts of territory around Kyie wile the Russians have built there land bridge, and almost destroyed/captured all of Mariupol,

ones the rest of Mariupol falls, probably in the next few days, Putin will never give it up in negotiations, or referendum, and the Ukrainians don't appear strong enough to retake it. perhaps if the Ukrainians had redeployed all available forces there last week while most of the city was still in Ukrainian hands they could have broken though, but feeling less likely now.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Contrary to accepted practise today, Thatcher actually said goodbye to her Willie long before she became a lady.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,408
    Sounds like the location hit near Belgorad might have been a location from which artillery was firing at Kharkiv.

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1508892706394804227
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Plenty of polling about today.

In France, the trend of a diminishing Macron leas over Le Pen continues. Macron has slipped back from the 30%+ values of 2-3 weeks ago to around 27% while Marine Le Pen hovers around 20% (21% in one poll). Melenchon is a clear third on about 15% with Zemmour fading into the low teens and Pecresse slipping below 10%.

Polls in Hungary continue to show the Fidesz Alliance with a narrow lead over the Opposition Bloc. One poll has the lead at just 2 points (48-46) with other polls showing a slightly larger lead.

Sweden votes in September and the latest poll has the governing Social Democrats opening an 11-point lead over the Moderates (33-22) with the Sweden Democrats on 19% with the Left on 8%, the Centre on 7% and the Christian Democrats on 6%. Given it seems unlikely any party will work with the Sweden Democrats, a coalition led by the Social Democrats looks the most likely outcome currently.

one thought about Hungary.

AIUI, there are lots of overseas voter, many of which are in nabering nations, including Ukraine, are these poled?

In the passed they have tended to vote for Obran, so the pollsters may be calculating this in 'backed in' and not try to find them and ask because its too complex, but it might be that this time they are less enthusiastic because of his refusal to properly cities Putin.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,390

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

But those Ukrainian forces don't disappear - they're available to rotate with the units which have been in the front line and increasingly so as potential Russian threats disappear.

They're also likely to have become steadily better armed and trained during the last month.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,229

tlg86 said:

She had neither read nor understood them
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Only 50% of conservatives support the commonwealth

Do you think the Commonwealth should or should not continue in its current form?"

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

You completely ignored the fact only 21% of Conservatives do not support the Commonwealth.

Don't post misleading poll data which only tells half the story.

Though of course the Commonwealth's continuation depends on the support of all its member nations not just the UK.

Hence too Prince William has suggested its symbolic head does not necessarily have to be him in future. It could for example be rotated between all the Commonwealth heads of state as well as the British monarch

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/arts/survey-results/daily/2022/03/29/44e67/3
    The irony meter just exploded

'Don't post misleading poll data which only tells half the story'

This is a yougov poll and you do not get to choose which polls you like

I would think it is fairly accurate
    That by a 29% margin Conservative voters support the Commonwealth yes.

Which you completely ignored by only posting half the poll figures!!!
    Only 29% - that is some change and indicates it will not survive as the Monarch at its head
    The Commonwealth does not need the monarch to always head it for goodness sake, even William said that.

Alternate its symbolic head amongst each Commonwealth head of state, just focus on the trade, sport and diplomatic and development links it provides
    It is only a matter of time that Australia, New Zealand and Canada declare themselves republics
    Absolutely not in Australia and in Canada neither as both Trudeau and the Tories are monarchists and every province has to approve a change near zero chance.

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/no-sense-of-momentum-poll-finds-drop-in-support-for-australia-becoming-a-republic-20210125-p56wpe.html

Though your persistent republican sniping shows full well why the Tories really don't need you
    Speaks someone who has not visited any of these countries and is in denial
    If you had read the poll it showed a 6% lead for keeping the monarchy in a poll taken in Australia only last year, the monarchy leading in every age group, even 18 to 24s.
    https://amp.smh.com.au/national/no-sense-of-momentum-poll-finds-drop-in-support-for-australia-becoming-a-republic-20210125-p56wpe.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    tlg86 said:

It seemed so at the time from a couple of twitter bods having a quick look at the regs. Sometimes the really annoying cllrs are correct, and they were particularly obnoxious. In fact its more likely to be the annoying ones who are correct, sadly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do you think the Commonwealth should or should not continue in its current form?"

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

You completely ignored the fact only 21% of Conservatives do not support the Commonwealth.

Though of course the Commonwealth's continuation depends on the support of all its member nations not just the UK.

Hence too Prince William has suggested its symbolic head does not necessarily have to be him in future. It could for example be rotated between all the Commonwealth heads of state as well as the British monarch

Only 29% - that is some change and indicates it will not survive as the Monarch at its head
    The Commonwealth does not need the monarch to always head it for goodness sake, even William said that.

Alternate its symbolic head amongst each Commonwealth head of state, just focus on the trade, sport and diplomatic and development links it provides
    It is only a matter of time that Australia, New Zealand and Canada declare themselves republics
    Absolutely not in Australia and in Canada neither as both Trudeau and the Tories are monarchists and every province has to approve a change near zero chance.

Though your persistent republican sniping shows full well why the Tories really don't need you
    If you had read the poll it showed a 6% lead for keeping the monarchy in a poll taken in Australia only last year, the monarchy leading in every age group, even 18 to 24s.
    Times are changing and will accelerate once the Queen dies
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,229
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

It seemed so at the time from a couple of twitter bods having a quick look at the regs. Sometimes the really annoying cllrs are correct, and they were particularly obnoxious. In fact its more likely to be the annoying ones who are correct, sadly.
    Presumably we can now anticipate a lengthy disciplinary process, with La Weaver dragged through the courts in a very public display of internecine public sector warfare?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, although I think part of their anger was that they were right, and knew it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

No they won't, William and Kate for instance are extremely popular amongst young Australians.

I know you aren't that bothered about the long term future of the monarchy as you are almost as old as the Queen anyway, however it will endure for another 1000 years as it already has for over 1000 years
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

yes, while the twitter trend is tying to make a point of Russian skill and is very unconvincing in that, it is non the less the case that the Ukrainians have mostly been tied up along a long front with most of there offensive capacity taking small amounts of territory around Kyie wile the Russians have built there land bridge, and almost destroyed/captured all of Mariupol,

ones the rest of Mariupol falls, probably in the next few days, Putin will never give it up in negotiations, or referendum, and the Ukrainians don't appear strong enough to retake it. perhaps if the Ukrainians had redeployed all available forces there last week while most of the city was still in Ukrainian hands they could have broken though, but feeling less likely now.
    You are probably right.

But with or without Mariupol, the Russian land bridge is narrow and critically dependent on just a few roads. At the very least it is extremely vulnerable to harrying ambushes of logistics travelling on these routes. Should the Ukrainians ever get decent artillery and ground attack air capabilities, it will be shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

No they won't, William and Kate for instance are extremely popular amongst young Australians.

I know you aren't that bothered about the long term future of the monarchy as you are almost as old as the Queen anyway, however it will endure for another 1000 years as it already has for over 1000 years
    It’s a stretch to define Godwinson as a king in the modern sense
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

The Queen is 17 years older as if that has anything to do with it, and the monarch will not be head of Australia, NZ, or Canada within your lifetime
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    As if things could not get any worse
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

HYUFD said:
    About that asteroid ...
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 276
    SeanT said:

But what of the engourged phallus of which they spoke in hushed whispers?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

The Queen is 17 years older as if that has anything to do with it, and the monarch will not be head of Australia, NZ, or Canada within your lifetime
    Oh they will and long after I am dead too
  • Options

There was a brief hiatus halfway through the 17th century but I can sort of imagine you in exile with Charles II awaiting the Restoration.

As for 1000 years - trying to conceive of the world in the 31st century is tough going at any time but too much for me at the end of a busy day.

I wonder how they will view the 21st Century.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,157
    85 grand on a parish council spat - absolute insanity.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,301

HYUFD said:
    I don't know why anyone is surprised that someone who previously won a US presidential election is in the running to win another one.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,203

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

But Everton did name their ground after him.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2022
    TimT said:

HYUFD said:
    About that asteroid ...
    "Come, friendly bombs..."
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,147
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:
    I watched a couple of the latest Trump videos the other night: his speeches at rallies

Worryingly - truly worryingly - there is no evidence of further cognitive decline (I know that sounds evil, but this is Trump). He seems more lucid, if anything. Smarter, sassier, sharper. Opposition suits him. He is happiest as the rebel fighting the Establishment (however absurd that actually is)

His shtick on Putin kinda works, as well. "I know how these awful autocrats think, because I'm a bit like them, but I am an American, and I'm on your side, I'm not a naive fool like Biden who fucked up in Afghanistan, encouraging Putin"

The narrative persuades, in its own way. As things stand I'd bet on him to beat Biden or Harris (who knows what history will bring next).

If he wins, Jeez
  • Options

That's all.

And now you mention it, isn't kedgeree a breakfast dish, like cornflakes?
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:
    Odds are that Biden won't be running. He has to hint he will, otherwise he'll be a lame duck. But after the mid-terms it should be a different story.

Edit: The poll is also one of those 40-people-per-state things.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,290
    edited March 2022
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There was a brief hiatus halfway through the 17th century but I can sort of imagine you in exile with Charles II awaiting the Restoration.

As for 1000 years - trying to conceive of the world in the 31st century is tough going at any time but too much for me at the end of a busy day.

I wonder how they will view the 21st Century.
    The trouble with the thousand year thing is it was spoilt as a concept by a certain Austrian housepainter
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Pulpstar said:

Ridiculous, to be sure, but the lack of oversight of the many thousands of parishes int his country is such any number of shenanigans might be going down, with almost zero chance of people spotting it.
  • Options
    TimT said:

BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

You are probably right.

But with or without Mariupol, the Russian land bridge is narrow and critically dependent on just a few roads. At the very least it is extremely vulnerable to harrying ambushes of logistics travelling on these routes. Should the Ukrainians ever get decent artillery and ground attack air capabilities, it will be shooting fish in a barrel.
    yes and no,

Yes if the west gave proper weaponry to Ukraine now, then they probably could recapture it, for the reasons you give.

and No, because the the west does not seem interred in given big weapons, including artillery to Ukraine, at the moment, Putin will not give it up in negotiations, its too impotent to him, Ukraine probably cant keep the war going forever, and Ukraine will not what to re-start a war with a much bigger nuclear armed neighbour.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,301
    O/T

There's a movie on Film4 atm which I've never heard of called Man On Fire from 2004. Looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a critics rating of 39% and an audience rating of 89%.

It's always intriguing when there's a big gap between the two figures, whichever way round it is.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_on_fire
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

But those Ukrainian forces don't disappear - they're available to rotate with the units which have been in the front line and increasingly so as potential Russian threats disappear.

They're also likely to have become steadily better armed and trained during the last month.
    well sort of but not really, some may be able to redeploy, but some will also be needed to grade the boarder incase the Russians come back, wile that part of the boarder is with Belarusian so the Belarusians can/will man there own boarder, not the Russians, so this is not zero sum IMHO
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,290

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

The Last English King (Which is by the way a fantastic book)
  • Options

BigRich said:

Ukrainian Armed Forces struck a Russian missile and artillery armament in the village of Oktyabrskoye near Belgorod with a Tochka-U. These warehouses are used to supply ammunition used to kill Ukrainians. Judging by the explosions, the 19th Missile Brigade is holding effective talks on the demilitarisation and denazification of Russia. This is the type of negotiation that Ukraine unanimously supports. Ukraine will send the Russian army straight to hell.
    Ukraine has the right to attack Russian military targets, and is right as matter of policy to do so right now.

To the extent they ever see the light of day, the secret annals & archives of Comrade Putin's Less-Than-Great Patriotic War will be fascinating, with plenty of twists & turns.

And do believe most will see the light eventually, or at least the peep o'day.
  • Options

That's all.

And now you mention it, isn't kedgeree a breakfast dish, like cornflakes?
    Not round these parts...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,216
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

There's a movie on Film4 atm which I've never heard of called Man On Fire from 2004. Looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a critics rating of 39% and an audience rating of 89%.

It's always intriguing when there's a big gap between the two figures, whichever way round it is.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_on_fire

It’s rubbish.
    Unless you’re into fairly mindless violence and not much else.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

well sort of but not really, some may be able to redeploy, but some will also be needed to grade the boarder incase the Russians come back, wile that part of the boarder is with Belarusian so the Belarusians can/will man there own boarder, not the Russians, so this is not zero sum IMHO
    That's why you rotate units.

The units from the front line are replaced there but in turn they then guard the quiet sectors while they rebuild.

So unless the Russians can rotate the units they have in the front line they will be steadily worn down to defeat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    I watched a couple of the latest Trump videos the other night: his speeches at rallies

Worryingly - truly worryingly - there is no evidence of further cognitive decline (I know that sounds evil, but this is Trump). He seems more lucid, if anything. Smarter, sassier, sharper. Opposition suits him. He is happiest as the rebel fighting the Establishment (however absurd that actually is)

His shtick on Putin kinda works, as well. "I know how these awful autocrats think, because I'm a bit like them, but I am an American, and I'm on your side, I'm not a naive fool like Biden who fucked up in Afghanistan, encouraging Putin"

The narrative persuades, in its own way. As things stand I'd bet on him to beat Biden or Harris (who knows what history will bring next).

If he wins, Jeez
    Its all hypothetical until the midterm elections.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Odds are that Biden won't be running. He has to hint he will, otherwise he'll be a lame duck. But after the mid-terms it should be a different story.

Edit: The poll is also one of those 40-people-per-state things.
    Leaving aside the age factor (a big leave) or potential post-midterm course correction such as Bill Clinton's "triangulation" in 1996, initial historical precedents leaping to my foolmind were Harry Truman NOT running in 1952 and Lyndon Johnson ditto in 1968.

Upon quasi-mature reflection, think that better candidates year-wise may be 1980 and 1992.

> 1980 the year Jimmy Carter was defeated for re-election four years after beating both a disgraced party and discredited DC establishment (and visa versa)

> 1992 the year George H. W. Bush the Elder lost his re-election bid despite being free world leader most responsible (aside from Saddam Hussein) for wining that Iraq War, due largely to domestic economic woes ("it's the economy, stupid")

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    I have been out. But - unpopular though this view may be - a little scepticism, given the Met's less than stellar track record and this report by Parliament, may be wise -

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/93/human-rights-joint-committee/news/154842/joint-committee-on-human-rights-every-fixed-penalty-notice-issued-under-coronavirus-regulations-must-be-reviewed/.

Are people assuming that the Met has got the law and facts on the Covid regulations right? Because that may not be the wisest assumption in the world to make.

When the CPS looked at those FPNs which had been issued in 2020 they had to drop them all because they were so flawed. Of course, a sensible police force would have learnt lessons. But - oh do stop laughing at the back - it's the Met we're talking about.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

If he wins, Jeez
    Midterm elections don't mean that much however. For example, Obama's Democrats lost in 2010, Clinton's Democrats lost in 1994, Reagan's GOP lost in 1982, however all 3 Presidents were re elected (albeit the GOP did lose in 2018 before Trump lost in 2020).

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,216
    Really, no backup ??

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1508881891641995284
    A cyber attack has destroyed data of Rosaviatsia, 🇷🇺Federal Air Transport Agency. 65 TB of files, aircraft registration data & mail were deleted from servers. There is no backup - Russian Ministry of Finance has not allocated funds for it. @AnonOpsSE claims responsibility
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The problem there's a legal obligation to properly investigate the complaints made. It seems there were 21 complaints over a two year period (how many would most parish councils have?) and that meant taking them to an external investigator (which doubtless cost more as well).
  • Options
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I have eaten enough chocolate today
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

If he wins, Jeez
    Midterm elections don't mean that much however. For example, Obama's Democrats lost in 2010, Clinton's Democrats lost in 1994, Reagan's GOP lost in 1982, however all 3 Presidents were re elected (albeit the GOP did lose in 2018 before Trump lost in 2020).

Not all defeats are the same.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

I have been out. But - unpopular though this view may be - a little scepticism, given the Met's less than stellar track record and this report by Parliament, may be wise -

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/93/human-rights-joint-committee/news/154842/joint-committee-on-human-rights-every-fixed-penalty-notice-issued-under-coronavirus-regulations-must-be-reviewed/.

Are people assuming that the Met has got the law and facts on the Covid regulations right? Because that may not be the wisest assumption in the world to make.

When the CPS looked at those FPNs which had been issued in 2020 they had to drop them all because they were so flawed. Of course, a sensible police force would have learnt lessons. But - oh do stop laughing at the back - it's the Met we're talking about.

Thanks for linking. For me, this paragraph is key-

“And once again, this Committee is calling on the Government to distinguish clearly between advice, guidance and the law. Fixed penalty notices were originally designed to deal with straightforward matters of law – easily understood by all involved. But our inquiry has demonstrated is that coronavirus Regulations are neither straightforward nor easily understood either by those who have to obey them or the police who have to enforce them.”

I would not be amazed if some given a FPN challenged and won.
This discussion has been closed.