Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Starmer can be next PM even if CON wins most seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,156
    Additional categories of people not to sell life insurance to:
    (1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880

I suspect the Belorussian forces are as shit, if not more shit, than the Russians and far more likely to mutiny.

The last dictator would be mad to fall in with Putin now.

I don't think he'd have done it if he were not out of options. He may have reached the end of his rope as a dictator without full Russian compliance.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,533
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

EU's fourth sanctions package is coming - it includes a ban on luxury exports, import of key goods in the iron and steel sector, and a ban on new investments in Russia’s energy sector https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1502323191527657483

@Big_G_NorthWales please explain.
    The odd thing surely is that the ban on luxury exports for example is only just happening. That may explain why Zelensky is annoyed that in some areas the EU remians behind the curve. No doubt the UK has its own failings but all this tit for tat carping is music to Putin's ears. There are plenty of 'useful idiots' on here still foaming at the mouth over Brexit/Boris - none of which is relevant in the bigger picture right now. And I speak as a Remain voter who'd prefer a new Tory leader to fight the next GE.
    EU good UK bad is just a reflex to some now.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,057

Is this a war or a James Bond film where some mad lunatic who wants total world domination has to be stopped from blowing up a nuclear power station?

The SPECTRE of Bond hangs heavy over Putin's actions....
    His SMERSH and grab raid failed, which is perhaps a small quantum of solace.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,445
    kinabalu said:

Is this a PB tradition, Ian live blogging Crufts?

Wait till the live dogging starts
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:
    "Ally" is an interesting choice of words here...
    I believe it is an issue of translation from the Russian. In Russian, ally means lackey ...
    I learned from Alexander Gerschenkron that there's no word in Russian for 'opportunity'. So the clandestine Russian translation of Paul Samuelson's Economics textbook had to invent an expression for 'opportunity cost', a basic concept in economics. They came up with "the cost of foregone possibilities" which Gershenkron found somewhat poetic.

возмо́жность seems a pretty good fit, and "the cost of foregone possibilities" is much better than opportunity cost anyway
  • Is Deutsche Bank somehow exempt from the sanctions?

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Sorry. Douche Bank is connected to pretty much *every* politician in Germany.

Their exposure to Russia is inline with their exposure to Donald Fucking Trump - somewhere between calamitous and hilarious.

In the words of Harry Wales - "What Douche Bank wants, Douche Bank gets!"
    I think Germany should be spending all of its spare cash finding replacements for Putin's gas and fixing that fucking bank.

Does anyone really want them rearming?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,244
    geoffw said:

MattW said:

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502325395961651201
    "NEW: Ukraine's fixed-wing aircraft fleet remains 80 percent intact 15 days after Russian invasion: senior U.S. defense official.
    Ukraine only flying 56 fighter jets 5-10 hours per day given Russian surface-to-air missile coverage over the country."

I'm honestly lost for words. How were the Russian first strikes this rubbish?

Edit: I wonder if, now the jet deal is very definitely off in the eyes of the public, a few repainted jets may be secretly replenishing their force?

Those jets are perfectly capable of taking off from straight bits of road in the arse end of no-where. Even if Ukraine didn’t fully believe US/UK warnings of an imminent invasion, it seems plausible that they might have spread their functional jets all over Ukraine, hiding one or two, plus fuel & other supplies in shed & farm buildings.
    I think that was the norm in Warsaw Pact E. Europe, was it not?

Disperse them under motorway bridges, and the like?

Also what the Finns do, I think.
    They do. There's a section of road not far from our summer cottage that is unaccountably straight and wide - for exactly that purpose explained my b-i-l.

I think it was a law/policy in Sweden that there had to be multiple stretches of road that were suitable as “pop-up” airstrips all over the country which is sensible.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,869
    DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Anyone else re-reading Red Storm Rising?

"..you propose complete staff replacement?" The practical consequences to the replacees was unspoken..
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,057
    DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Their parachutes appear as well maintained as their tyres, judging by the grisly pictures on Twitter.
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

EU's fourth sanctions package is coming - it includes a ban on luxury exports, import of key goods in the iron and steel sector, and a ban on new investments in Russia’s energy sector https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1502323191527657483

We must be past the tipping point on western sanctions where every firm’s compliance/legal Department will be saying “it’s too complicated to do anything other than do no business with or through Russia or Russians”.
    Good. Unfortunate that there isn't another way to hit the regime, but there it is.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Nigelb said:

Is this a war or a James Bond film where some mad lunatic who wants total world domination has to be stopped from blowing up a nuclear power station?

Will the skyfall on his head?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,239
    RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

The odd thing surely is that the ban on luxury exports for example is only just happening. That may explain why Zelensky is annoyed that in some areas the EU remians behind the curve. No doubt the UK has its own failings but all this tit for tat carping is music to Putin's ears. There are plenty of 'useful idiots' on here still foaming at the mouth over Brexit/Boris - none of which is relevant in the bigger picture right now. And I speak as a Remain voter who'd prefer a new Tory leader to fight the next GE.
    UK good EU bad is just a reflex to some now.
    biggles said:

COVID summary

- Cases up. R is showing signs of stopping rising, though
    - In Hospital up.
    - MV beds flat.
    - Admissions are up, but again, R has stoped rising.
    - Deaths are showing more and more signs of plateauing at a bit below 100 per day.

To be fair, Putin did deliver a monologue in which he outlined his evil plan. That has to have scored?
    Nah. That was crap.

This is how you do it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjogCytzX0s

RIP Raul Julia. For him, it will always be Tuesday.
  • biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

We must be past the tipping point on western sanctions where every firm’s compliance/legal Department will be saying “it’s too complicated to do anything other than do no business with or through Russia or Russians”.
    Pretty much been there done that for a fortnight now.
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

He will Die Another Day.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,589
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Good. Unfortunate that there isn't another way to hit the regime, but there it is.
    Oh I agree, just wondering if (outside of special examples like the odd bank) there is now little to be gained by additional sanctions because in effect we’ve cut them off. Maybe that’s where the WTO moves come in - open another front.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,964
    kle4 said:

I suspect the Belorussian forces are as shit, if not more shit, than the Russians and far more likely to mutiny.

The last dictator would be mad to fall in with Putin now.

I don't think he'd have done it if he were not out of options. He may have reached the end of his rope as a dictator without full Russian compliance.
    FWIW there are rumours that a crisis is brewing in the Kremlin tonight. The FSB arrests could cause a complete crack up in the system. Situation in Belarus is on a knife edge. I think this weekend could see some very big moves indeed.

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty much been there done that for a fortnight now.
    Even Trafigura can't sell deals which are by/with/or/from/to/for/at/or/near Russia.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,224
    edited March 2022
    Now that this is in the public domain, I can finally laugh out loud at this.

Chelsea’s bank accounts have been frozen, leaving the club facing financial paralysis after the government sanctioned Roman Abramovich, The Times has been told.

The UK government yesterday gave Chelsea a licence to continue with football-related activities after Abramovich, the Premier League club’s owner, was sanctioned over his links to Vladimir Putin, the Russian president.

Sources at the club have warned that, despite the licence, several of the club’s corporate accounts, including credit cards, have been frozen because banks are being “risk-averse”.

“The licence allows the club to continue with day-to-day activities but the banks don’t have the risk appetite for it,” a source said. “They’ve frozen some of the corporate credit cards. It’s put a lot more pressure on the club.”

A senior source at Chelsea confirmed that the situation was causing grave concern. “It’s making it even more difficult to run our day-to-day operations,” the source explained.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chelsea-face-financial-crunch-as-bank-accounts-frozen-after-roman-abramovich-sanctions-302qh9vp9

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

He will Die Another Day.
    Well, of course. This is no time to die.

Age related data

What's this for again?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,239
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed. Both sides need to stop it and move on.
    Totally agree - I was merely pointing out that it cuts both ways.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,137
    Roger said:

Just listening to the Russian response at the UN where they allege that Ukraine in conjunction with the United States have been producing biological weapons in Ukraine and have documentary evidence

At this point I switched him off for my own sanity but Boris's warning last night and todays by the US that Russia are using a false flag operation seems abundantly true and to be frank is very scary

I listened to the President of the EU Commission, Macron and UVDL earlier this pm and they spoke lots of words but Macron insisted the EU was not at war with Russia, while in the next breath UVDK refereed to this war with Russia. They said that they have increasing sanctions in the pipeline and even harder ones if necessary

The obvious question followed from a journalist

'Just how many children, hospitals and civilians have to be slaughtered before you act'

It seems President Zelenskyy has again attacked the EU on their words and lack of action

At what point is enough is enough called

Should have known the EU was to blame, but I had to read all the way through.
    It seems to be more important on here that we win the war against the EU than what happens to Ukraine. If there are bets to be had I'd put my money on Macron being at the centre of finding a solution. He is at least in non stop communication with Putin. The news here is much more on how to reach a solution than on how many tanks each side is losing.
    Motes and beams dear.. motes and beams.
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

He will Die Another Day.
    You only Live Twice, after all
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,990

Chelsea’s bank accounts have been frozen, leaving the club facing financial paralysis after the government sanctioned Roman Abramovich, The Times has been told.

The UK government yesterday gave Chelsea a licence to continue with football-related activities after Abramovich, the Premier League club’s owner, was sanctioned over his links to Vladimir Putin, the Russian president.

Sources at the club have warned that, despite the licence, several of the club’s corporate accounts, including credit cards, have been frozen because banks are being “risk-averse”.

“The licence allows the club to continue with day-to-day activities but the banks don’t have the risk appetite for it,” a source said. “They’ve frozen some of the corporate credit cards. It’s put a lot more pressure on the club.”

A senior source at Chelsea confirmed that the situation was causing grave concern. “It’s making it even more difficult to run our day-to-day operations,” the source explained.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chelsea-face-financial-crunch-as-bank-accounts-frozen-after-roman-abramovich-sanctions-302qh9vp9

Any chance the players don't get paid? Would be interesting to see how they react to that.
  • RT's Jonathan Pie hired by the NY Times to attack ... us. Obviously.

New York Times Opinion
    @nytopinion
    While the U.S. and the E.U. have come down hard on Russian oligarchs, Britain has not, says @JonathanPieNews, a fictional newscaster. “Because the dreadful, terrifying truth is stronger sanctions against Putin are in danger of hurting us more than him.” https://nyti.ms/3t4Ft2d
    https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1502294523510149130

Is Deutsche Bank somehow exempt from the sanctions?

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Their exposure to Russia is inline with their exposure to Donald Fucking Trump - somewhere between calamitous and hilarious.

I think Germany should be spending all of its spare cash finding replacements for Putin's gas and fixing that fucking bank.

Always the PB way, endless whining about something until it actually happens.

Mother, the backsliding conchie Boche have revived Prussian militarism! Dig out my ARP uniform.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Their parachutes appear as well maintained as their tyres, judging by the grisly pictures on Twitter.
    I did not see them, lots of dead Russians?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,485
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:
    I believe it is an issue of translation from the Russian. In Russian, ally means lackey ...
    I learned from Alexander Gerschenkron that there's no word in Russian for 'opportunity'. So the clandestine Russian translation of Paul Samuelson's Economics textbook had to invent an expression for 'opportunity cost', a basic concept in economics. They came up with "the cost of foregone possibilities" which Gershenkron found somewhat poetic.

возмо́жность seems a pretty good fit, and "the cost of foregone possibilities" is much better than opportunity cost anyway
    That's how Google translate gives it, along with possibility. But I would take a native Russian speaker's word over a nuance-free machine translation.

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

He will Die Another Day.
    Send for a doctor, no?
    Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

No but the thunderball will get him unless he gives him the goldfinger...
  • The greatest immediate concern for Chelsea is that the crisis triggers an insolvency event, which runs the risk of a nine-point deduction under Premier League rules, increasing the urgency for a sale to go through.
    Does Moscow still do that big military parade thing on May 1? Be nice to have a new pres installed in time for that (and win me some money). Also will it be a bit short of materiel this year?

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Mother, the backsliding conchie Boche have revived Prussian militarism! Dig out my ARP uniform.
    I will passionately "whine" about our supposed allies funding an illegal war by an evil war criminal. Until it stops.

You can carry on whining about a three century old travesty.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,687
    DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

If it's true that Russia have lost 3 Generals out of a total of 12 that's either gross carelessness or gross exaggeration.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,601
    Seafood, vodka, diamonds. Also pussy

RT's Jonathan Pie hired by the NY Times to attack ... us. Obviously.

New York Times Opinion
    @nytopinion
    While the U.S. and the E.U. have come down hard on Russian oligarchs, Britain has not, says @JonathanPieNews, a fictional newscaster. “Because the dreadful, terrifying truth is stronger sanctions against Putin are in danger of hurting us more than him.” https://nyti.ms/3t4Ft2d
    https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1502294523510149130

Already out of date, as well
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

Very embarrassing if the corporate credit card gets declined at Spearmint Rhino.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

You've moved on from 'What a bunch of irrelevant arseholes they are' presumably, or are you above all that sides thing?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,533
    IshmaelZ said:

Does Moscow still do that big military parade thing on May 1? Be nice to have a new pres installed in time for that (and win me some money). Also will it be a bit short of materiel this year?

Will there be a military left, and will there be anything to celebrate? I doubt they'd want to if they were forced back by Ukraine.
    biggles said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

He will Die Another Day.
    Send for a doctor, no?
    Unless you have a License to Kill, of course.
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:

That's how Google translate gives it, along with possibility. But I would take a native Russian speaker's word over a nuance-free machine translation.

I checked with more than one dictionary, translated both ways, and looked at context...
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHRu_Ou4WI

UNSC meeting. Extremely strong response from Albania, worth watching. As for Vasily Nebenzya, reprehensible by even his standards. Swinging from a rope would be too civilised an end for him.
    felix said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds like The World is Not Enough
    I’m always looking for positives in life, and there does seem to be a fighting chance of a sequel to the Death of Stalin.

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

I will passionately "whine" about our supposed allies funding an illegal war by an evil war criminal. Until it stops.

Someone on here was chiding me recently for suggesting that it wouldn't be long before the usual suspects would be reverting to the standard atavistic whining about German militarism. I wasn't expecting to be proved right so quickly.

felix said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Certainly not from Russia with Love no siree!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,415
    The Ukrainians are claiming another Su-34 has been shot down in the Chernihiv region.

DavidL said:

RobD said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

You've moved on from 'What a bunch of irrelevant arseholes they are' presumably, or are you above all that sides thing?
    I have been clear for years that the EU Parliament is a serious waste of space (in my view) and their recent behaviour simply reaffirmed that but I do think that both the EU and the UK need to work together to minimise trade and investment friction to the minimum possible. And, as the Ukraine has shown, there is plenty else we can work together constructively on as well.

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Someone on here was chiding me recently for suggesting that it wouldn't be long before the usual suspects would be reverting to the standard atavistic whining about German militarism. I wasn't expecting to be proved right so quickly.
    Genuinely didn’t occur to me that “does anyone really want them rearming” referred to Germany. FFS. Yes. We all do.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,490
    biggles said:

I’m always looking for positives in life, and there does seem to be a fighting chance of a sequel to the Death of Stalin.

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

"Ukraine's got no cowin' Bovril!"
    felix said:

felix said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Octopussy

I cant make a pun out of it, but if we are just using James Bond films, I think its one of the better names :)
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

If it's true that Russia have lost 3 Generals out of a total of 12 that's either gross carelessness or gross exaggeration.
    Britain, WWI - Generals - 1257 Served, 232 died
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

It would only be careless if they even pretended to care. They seem incredibly indifferent to the fate of their soldiers up to and including generals.
    biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

and Mr Been as the head of the Russian army?
    BigRich said:

felix said:

felix said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

Octopussy

I cant make a pun out of it, but if we are just using James Bond films, I think its one of the better names :)
    Someone was always going to crowbar it in weren't they? I couldn’t see how but I will never say never again.
    DavidL said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

It would only be careless if they even pretended to care. They seem incredibly indifferent to the fate of their soldiers up to and including generals.

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

So this is down to my question "Does anyone really want them rearming?"

I guess you really, really do?
    biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

This is bloody rivetting as to where Russia is on that film and Stalin in general

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/14/in-russia-nobodys-laughing-at-armando-iannucci-death-of-stalin

"In June, Russia’s Levada Centre polled the country’s citizens on who they believed to be “the greatest person of all nations and all eras”, and Stalin came in first place. Putin came second, and the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin third.

According to Levada’s Denis Volkov, Stalin’s popularity rose sharply in spring 2014, around the time of the annexation of Crimea, when nationalist rhetoric from the Kremlin increased. Since then, the polls have found more than twice the number of Russians assess Stalin positively than those who view him negatively.

“This is not a coincidence. The [Crimea] events were taken by the population as a sign of the restoration of the country’s greatness – the same greatness which many people feel was created during Stalin’s rule and lost after the collapse of the Soviet Union,” Volkov wrote in a column for the newspaper RBC."

Extraordinary and frightening
    biggles said:

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Genuinely didn’t occur to me that “does anyone really want them rearming” referred to Germany. FFS. Yes. We all do.
    The Lion of Lyiv doesn't.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,415
    BigRich said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

and Mr Been as the head of the Russian army?
    Frank Spencer as the head of the feared paratroop regiment.
    IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

This is bloody rivetting as to where Russia is on that film and Stalin in general

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/14/in-russia-nobodys-laughing-at-armando-iannucci-death-of-stalin

"In June, Russia’s Levada Centre polled the country’s citizens on who they believed to be “the greatest person of all nations and all eras”, and Stalin came in first place. Putin came second, and the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin third.

According to Levada’s Denis Volkov, Stalin’s popularity rose sharply in spring 2014, around the time of the annexation of Crimea, when nationalist rhetoric from the Kremlin increased. Since then, the polls have found more than twice the number of Russians assess Stalin positively than those who view him negatively.

“This is not a coincidence. The [Crimea] events were taken by the population as a sign of the restoration of the country’s greatness – the same greatness which many people feel was created during Stalin’s rule and lost after the collapse of the Soviet Union,” Volkov wrote in a column for the newspaper RBC."

Christ.

The Ukrainians are claiming another Su-34 has been shot down in the Chernihiv region.

as the Su-34 only entered service in 2014 I would have thought it would be quite good, but they do seem to have lost quite a few now.
  • An emotional moment when the Ukraine Ambassador at the UN called Russia out for accusing the pregnant woman on the stretcher in that iconic photograph of wearing lipstick and acting, when he showed on his tablet Marianna, the pregnant woman with her new born baby, called Veronica, and Veronica's father xx

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

If you mean me you are misremembering, as I agreed there would be some people doing it (because some people are fools), I was disputing how common or representative an opinion it would be, and I suggested waiting for it to happen before condemning it. But I don't expect you consider that to be a difference.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,785

The greatest immediate concern for Chelsea is that the crisis triggers an insolvency event, which runs the risk of a nine-point deduction under Premier League rules, increasing the urgency for a sale to go through.

Well that doesn't sound a tragedy. They're not in any danger of winning the league, nor of relegation, even with a nine point penalty. They'll finish slightly further down the table and start again next year afresh.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,175
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

It's certainly possible, and leads to interesting questions as to why - as some have pointed out below. Are they going to the front to encourage troops who are not keen, or are they up there because comms are so poor (or they want to get as far as possible from Moscow? ;) Or are they being targeted by Ukraine using intelligence?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,478
    A very strong field in this year’s breeders’ competition, won by a fine set of Dalmations.
    BigRich said:

as the Su-34 only entered service in 2014 I would have thought it would be quite good, but they do seem to have lost quite a few now.
    It seems to be the inexplicable low flying in a high threat environment for manpads. Viewed with a western eye it’s bonkers. But it would seem to be a lack of stand off munitions, good countermeasures, and training.
  • biggles said:

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

The Lion of Lyiv doesn't.
    I don't know who that is, but I'd prefer them to spend their huge wealth on arming Ukraine, before fixing their fucked energy system, and massively fucked bank, before spending what's left on helping to rebuild Ukraine, before rearming.

I'm not actually worried about them at last meeting their NATO commitment.
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Where did you hear that there where 12?

Some on here speculated that there where about 40 earlier and US intelligence thinks 20.

P.S. if you include the head of the Chechen unit killed in an ambush then that would be 4 Maj Generals, killed. but equally maybe counting him as a real Maj Gen is a push.
    Cookie said:

The greatest immediate concern for Chelsea is that the crisis triggers an insolvency event, which runs the risk of a nine-point deduction under Premier League rules, increasing the urgency for a sale to go through.

Well that doesn't sound a tragedy. They're not in any danger of winning the league, nor of relegation, even with a nine point penalty. They'll finish slightly further down the table and start again next year afresh.
    Nine points loses then the Champions League. Maybe more if form dips. Starts to make next year’s income look very different.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,101
    Some people saying that the sanctions on Abramovic's steel company Evraz may not hold because there isn't any proof that the military grade steel made in their US arm was sent to Russia and the US would never allow a shared supplier with Russia so it seems unlikely that Evraz would risk losing a huge client for their highest margin product.

I do wonder if the government has made a misstep here to get a big headline that Abramovic was personally responsible for arming Russia. Evraz is actually a UK company and from what I've been reading today from hastily written research is that their Russian operation largely consists of bulk steel for construction and the fun stuff is all done outside of Russia because the management don't trust the Russian arm of the business to deliver for big clients like the US military.

We may not have seen the end of this one at least, the government will have to prove a direct supply link of military grade steel from Evraz to Russia and there's a lot of doubt that there is any evidence of it simply because they didn't do it.
    IanB2 said:

A very strong field in this year’s breeders’ competition, won by a fine set of Dalmations.

Did they knock the spots off the competition? And I have my coat...
    biggles said:

Cookie said:

Nine points loses then the Champions League. Maybe more if form dips. Starts to make next year’s income look very different.
    They might not qualify for a UEFA club licence next season in any case, I gather.
  • Cookie said:

Out of Europe would be devastating for Chelses
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,928
    biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Christ.
    One reason why Putin probably needs to stay in power and visibly cock up for a bit longer before any putsch. Otherwise you could get the difficult situation of him being couped by some generals and then people coming out on the streets in protest, Erdogan coup-style. Worst case scenario for everyone then.
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

Did they knock the spots off the competition? And I have my coat...
    Dalmatia won? Don’t tell Vlad, he’ll want it to be part of Russia to take the glory.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,990
    MaxPB said:

Some people saying that the sanctions on Abramovic's steel company Evraz may not hold because there isn't any proof that the military grade steel made in their US arm was sent to Russia and the US would never allow a shared supplier with Russia so it seems unlikely that Evraz would risk losing a huge client for their highest margin product.

I do wonder if the government has made a misstep here to get a big headline that Abramovic was personally responsible for arming Russia. Evraz is actually a UK company and from what I've been reading today from hastily written research is that their Russian operation largely consists of bulk steel for construction and the fun stuff is all done outside of Russia because the management don't trust the Russian arm of the business to deliver for big clients like the US military.

We may not have seen the end of this one at least, the government will have to prove a direct supply link of military grade steel from Evraz to Russia and there's a lot of doubt that there is any evidence of it simply because they didn't do it.

Does it matter? Labour were demanding sanctions against Abramavoic without any specific charges against him other than being Russian and having met Putin. They got their way and, with a bit of luck, Chelsea is going to be the collateral damage.
    TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Christ.
    One reason why Putin probably needs to stay in power and visibly cock up for a bit longer before any putsch. Otherwise you could get the difficult situation of him being couped by some generals and then people coming out on the streets in protest, Erdogan coup-style. Worst case scenario for everyone then.
    isn't that sort of what happened for Julia Creaser?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,478
    Now the final judging of the Terrier group.
  • Alastair Stewart
    @AlStewartOBE

#RussiaInvadedUkraine

The EU says it will wean itself off Russian energy “within 5 years”.

The eye watering urgency is remarkable.

https://twitter.com/AlStewartOBE/status/1502339984430452739
    Chameleon said:

Scathing attack from Zelenskyy's office on Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/senior-ukrainian-official-bennett-pushed-zelensky-to-surrender-to-putin-report/

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett on Tuesday pushed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to accept an offer from Russian President Vladimir Putin, which would require Kyiv to make significant concessions in order to end Moscow’s invasion. “If I were you, I would think about the lives of my people and take the offer,” Bennett told Zelensky during a phone call on Tuesday, according to a senior Ukrainian official who spoke to Walla and Haaretz on condition of anonymity. Zelensky did not take well to the proposal, responding with a brief “I hear you.”

“Bennett has proposed that we surrender,” the senior Ukrainian official tells the Hebrew news sites. “We have no intention of doing so. We know that Putin’s proposal is just the beginning.” The report says that Israel has also asked that Ukraine cease its requests for Israeli military or defense assistance, as this could hinder Jerusalem’s efforts to mediate and maintain neutrality

Thus far, Zelensky has been unimpressed with Bennett’s mediation efforts, saying the Israeli premier has sufficed with being a “mailbox” that passes along messages between Russia to Ukraine without coming up with any proposals of his own, the senior official says.

“We do not need a mailbox. We have enough of these,” the senior Ukrainian official says. “President Zelensky’s office does not believe this is the way to mediate. If Bennett wants to be neutral and mediate, we would like to see him appoint someone who will deal with the matter day and night to try and reach a compromise.” Zelensky is under the impression that Bennett has taken up the role of mediator as part of his effort to avoid picking sides in a war because of the risk of damaging Israel’s ties with Russia, the official claims. This has led to significant frustration and even personal offense on the part of Zelensky with the Israeli government, according to the senior official.

I hear that Israels Interior Minister Ayelet Shaked is trying to outdo Priti. She doesn't want Israel to take in Ukrainians who aren't Jewish
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    felix said:

felix said:

Applicant said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder if Putin will think of using a cat-o-nine-tails on those dissidents he's just arrested. If one of the strings wasn't there then I suppose he'd be using an octo-pussy...
  • We need to start rationing fuel.
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Does it matter? Labour were demanding sanctions against Abramavoic without any specific charges against him other than being Russian and having met Putin. They got their way and, with a bit of luck, Chelsea is going to be the collateral damage.
    The personal sanctions on Abramovic make sense, he's clearly in Putin's inner circle but it's the company one that doesn't. The government could have turned Abramovic and the other Putin cronies into forced sellers of Evraz shares just as they made BP a forced seller of Rosneft shares.

As for Chelsea, I haven't stopped laughing about it. Chelsea fans are the worst, couldn't think of a more deserving bunch to see the destruction of their club, hopefully relegation beckons when they get a US owner who doesn't have a clue how to run a football club.
    biggles said:

BigRich said:

It seems to be the inexplicable low flying in a high threat environment for manpads. Viewed with a western eye it’s bonkers. But it would seem to be a lack of stand off munitions, good countermeasures, and training.
    A lot of Russias weapons are warmed over variants of Cold War stuff. The T-90 is a face lift to the T-72. The Su-34 is how much of an advance on the Su-27?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,928
    BigRich said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Christ.
    Caesar was assassinated though. I was thinking the Erdogan route: still alive, calls the people to the streets, the military stays loyal and the coup is defeated. If Putin were assassinated and we then had a reaction, Julius Caesar style, I could see that being pretty bad too. We could end up with president Lavrov.

We need to start rationing fuel.

The current price shock will already be forcing that.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    MaxPB said:

Was it Evraz that was the formal cause of the sanction then? I had assumed without looking that it was related to his acquisition of Sibneft and subsequent transfer to Gazprom
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,826
    Seeing grown men cry on the BBC news has such a strong impact .

This really drives the desolation and desperation home for everyday Ukrainians.

edited March 2022
    TimS said:

BigRich said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Christ.
    Caesar was assassinated though. I was thinking the Erdogan route: still alive, calls the people to the streets, the military stays loyal and the coup is defeated. If Putin were assassinated and we then had a reaction, Julius Caesar style, I could see that being pretty bad too. We could end up with president Lavrov.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/11/putin-could-removed-power-would-replace/

Informative on the nuts and bolts of Putin's personal protection. You have to get through a lorra Praetorian guards to get to him

"The military have two elite divisions outside Moscow, the 4th Guards “Kantemirovskaya” Tank Division and the 2nd Guards “Tamanskaya” Mechanised Division, as well as two Spetsnaz special forces units close by. However, not only are they carefully watched by the FSB’s military counter-intelligence department, one of whose primary roles is to sniff out potential disloyalty, but they also face a series of other units in Moscow. The National Guard, a parallel internal security army under former Putin bodyguard and arch-loyalist Viktor Zolotov has the oversized 1st Independent Special Designation Division based in the east of the city. They have their own tanks, artillery and anti-tank missiles, making it pretty clear that their role is, if necessary, to take on the military."
  • MaxPB said:

We need to start rationing fuel.

The current price shock will already be forcing that.
    I saw Rory Stewart earlier advocating free public transport and 50mph nationwide speed limit to reduce fuel use.
    TimS said:

BigRich said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

biggles said:

Jasper Carrot as Putin?

Christ.
    Or presidant Lukashenko of the new greater Russia?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,629

Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

It's certainly possible, and leads to interesting questions as to why - as some have pointed out below. Are they going to the front to encourage troops who are not keen, or are they up there because comms are so poor (or they want to get as far as possible from Moscow? ;) Or are they being targeted by Ukraine using intelligence?
    Or their own troops are slipping grenades in their pockets...
    Lennon said:

MaxPB said:

Was it Evraz that was the formal cause of the sanction then? I had assumed without looking that it was related to his acquisition of Sibneft and subsequent transfer to Gazprom
    The personal sanctions are related to the source of his wealth being essentially gifted an oil company by Putin AIUI, but Evraz, on the face of it, looks to be a legitimate company that's now sanctioned because it's part owner has been sanctioned.
    BigRich said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

(1) Russian generals
    (2) Russian pilots.

Where did you hear that there where 12?

Some on here speculated that there where about 40 earlier and US intelligence thinks 20.

P.S. if you include the head of the Chechen unit killed in an ambush then that would be 4 Maj Generals, killed. but equally maybe counting him as a real Maj Gen is a push.
    I looked at Wikipedia. Those 'In Service' counted 12
This discussion has been closed.