Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Starmer can be next PM even if CON wins most seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,495
    edited March 2022
    A fault from Somerset, false start, Hampshire go through to Saturday’s semis
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,884

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

China exercising its normal light touch when it comes to lockdowns

"Changchun city, 9 millions residents.
    It is in lockdown now.
    https://twitter.com/AP/status/1502219611265466374?t=eumEqYl8KvFosGCtoXJU3A&s=19

Chinese authority sent all 6556 students of a university off to Covid quarantine camps yesterday.

Totally more than 20 000 people were bussed away to quarantine camps yesterday."

https://twitter.com/songpinganq/status/1502285200398553090?s=20&t=RCQN0IBjXut1uF23e4HjVQ

*Startled expression*

They'll run out of space in the quarantine camps pretty quickly, at this rate.

Whole country in lockdown by St. Patrick's Day at this rate.
    This is going to be quite the collision.

China's Zero Covid Policy (in which it has invested so much time, money and pride) meets Omicron the Mighty, on BA2 steroids

Can China avoid being one enormous Hong Kong?

Some maths. Hong Kong suffered 281 deaths yesterday, in a population of 7.5 million

China's population is 1.4 billion: 186 times bigger then HK

If China's Omicron crisis gets as bad as HK's, China will see 52,000 deaths a day

That's how bad it could get, potentially (tho of course the voluntary and obligatory lockdowns which would kick in long before then make this highly unlikely).

A relevant factor is China’s willingness (or not) to import western vaccines and implicitly admit it’s own aren’t as good. Seems unlikely, sadly.
    Seems weird they'd take the economic hit rather than do as you say, even if they're that callous about the general population.
    Dictatorships are even more obsessed about appearing weak than democracies. Better to deny impact of a hit than undermine glory of the party by acknowledging another option.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,759

A fun thought for a Friday afternoon....

Putin is 'planning a man-made catastrophe' at Chernobyl: Ukrainian intelligence claims Russia will fake a terror attack at nuclear plant and try to blackmail the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10602703/Putin-planning-man-catastrophe-Chernobyl-Ukrainian-intelligence-claims.html

I've really enjoyed 2022 so far, but, TBH, I wouldn't mind a Slow News Day now

Just one. Just one single day when the entire world isn't threatened, in multiple forms, by outright catastrophe
    edited March 2022
    Now it’s well known national team Tails we Win v Kent’s Aces Hold’Em

Tails take the first round . They’re European record holders.

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,139
    If true, the news that 16,000 Syrians are joining the invasion of Ukraine is x3 extraordinary: as an admission of Russian military inadequacy; as a repudiation of Putin's claimed Russo-Ukrainian identity; as military idiocy: the Syrians only know how to fight disarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/eluttwak/status/1502296906873069574?s=21
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,992
    Leon said:

Putin is 'planning a man-made catastrophe' at Chernobyl: Ukrainian intelligence claims Russia will fake a terror attack at nuclear plant and try to blackmail the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10602703/Putin-planning-man-catastrophe-Chernobyl-Ukrainian-intelligence-claims.html

Just one. Just one single day when the entire world isn't threatened, in multiple forms, by outright catastrophe
    A day where the headlines are led by the fact G.R.Eggs has launched a Vegan bacon sandwich.
    A fault from Tails! All square…
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,504
    V exciting, who's gonna win? The Ukies or the doggies on this thread?
    Edge of the seats for the deciding round…

Tails take it easily and go through
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,220
    edited March 2022
    Those LD results in Hitchin last night were pretty spectacular. That part of the country could go LD in a big way at the next election.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,884
    Applicant said:

3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official

Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward.

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302509905416193?s=20&t=SaV0KMM3zk4a2qQS0w3CFQ

I remember playing Stratego as a kid, you didn't want to go losing your General...

A bit of a rush job...

I am the very model of a Russian Major-General
    No information reaches me if we have support aerial
    I know the Tsars and Commissars, but that won't help the forces Z
    And very soon, I know I'll be, like many other comrades, dead
    I blame creeping American influence that the last couplet didn't rhyme for me.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    geoffw said:

Some of the Russian actions are so farcical, were they not also so deadly, they'd be worthy of a breathless dog show-type commentary.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Leon said:

A day where the headlines are led by the fact G.R.Eggs has launched a Vegan bacon sandwich.
    I'd prefer the threat of nuclear war, tbf. Vegan bacon is an abomination.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I keep posting it, but I will again.
    Who knows, maybe policymakers read this this board.

BRAIN DRAIN the Russians.
    Encourage their scientists, coders, engineers and even their artists.

I know this is a million miles from current government policy, which is to continue to cut its own nose off to seemingly please a couple of angry pensioners in Lincolnshire, but I live in hope.

For what its worth, I fully support this.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Looks like we're now up to 4 dead Russian generals (including the Chechen warlord).

Meanwhile in Kherson they're going house to house rounding up anyone with links to the Ukrainian government/police/defence forces: https://twitter.com/kherradio/status/1502241215651135488

4 out of how many? I have no idea how significant that it.
    Maybe 20 major generals on the ground in Ukraine, another 10 on the ground above them?

In total each of the 12 Russian armies has a commander (usually Lt Gen or Maj Gen), then a Chief of Staff and deputy commander (both Maj Gen)

Latest death is Andriy Kolesnikov, who was Major General in charge of Russia's 29th army.

Others were:
    Sukhovetsky, Maj General, deputy commander 41st.
    Gerasimov, Maj General, Chief of Staff 41st.
    Magomed Tushaev, Maj General, Chechens

(their positions can be verified here: https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/41-я_общевойсковая_армия?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp)

So of the 36-40 most prominent Russian generals that are Maj/Lt generals in charge of units, and could be deployed on the ground, 4 of them have been killed, while around 10 of them aren't deployed to this conflict.
    So at 10% :)

if 10% of all ranks where now dead, that would be 19,000 ish so about in line with Ukrainian government estimates.
    Times defence editor: https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302254635929607
    "3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official. Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward."

Ouch. My calculations were generous to the Russians.
    Applicant said:

3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official

Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward.

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302509905416193?s=20&t=SaV0KMM3zk4a2qQS0w3CFQ

I remember playing Stratego as a kid, you didn't want to go losing your General...

A bit of a rush job...

Perhaps "supportIVE aerial", to keep the rhythm?

Otherwise, superb job. Especially the last line and that final comma

Bravo
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528

I know this is a million miles from current government policy, which is to continue to cut its own nose off to seemingly please a couple of angry pensioners in Lincolnshire, but I live in hope.

How many do we prise away from Mother Russia before the borders get slammed closed?

"Ah, coder you say? And your reason to go to Helsinki? And your wife too? Go see my colleague through that door please...."
    edited March 2022
    Now it’s favourites Aces versus Muttley Crew

Muttley crew score a shock first win…
    kle4 said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

I blame creeping American influence that the last couplet didn't rhyme for me.
    Yeah, the thought crossed my mind. But I had to leave it in. Off with your hee. ;)
    And it’s all square, one round to go…
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    Yeah, I knew the second line was a bit of a bodge. But thank you :)
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Andy_JS said:

Those LD results in Hitchin last night were pretty spectacular. That part of the country could go LD in a big way at the next election.

Hitchin and Harpenden is the Parliamentary constituency - a wide area
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    Eh? You’re introducing a new syllable.
    It was very good first go.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Leon said:

I sort of miss the days post-referendum but pre-actual-Brexit where it was all just big late night Commons votes, opposition seizing the order paper, defection watch, May-bot malfunctions and endless twitter rumour. When it was high political drama but none of it had crystallised into actual outcomes.
    edited March 2022

If true, the news that 16,000 Syrians are joining the invasion of Ukraine is x3 extraordinary: as an admission of Russian military inadequacy; as a repudiation of Putin's claimed Russo-Ukrainian identity; as military idiocy: the Syrians only know how to fight disarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/eluttwak/status/1502296906873069574?s=21

How are they planning on getting these in to area? presumably they cant ship them in, as Turkey has closed the striates, overland would mean going though lots of nations, not all of which are happy with Syria/Russia at the moment, so presumably it will have to be Aeroplane?

Eddied extra bit: I wonder if the 16,000 is a symbolic number to 'match' the 16,000 who volunteered to join the Ukrainian Foren Legion?
    Favourites Aces smash the third round.
    edited March 2022
    Lastly it’s well known 2020 champions Focus versus Leics Paws on the Run

Focus have a whippet and three cross breeds, paws are mostly collies
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    IanB2 said:

Now it’s favourites Aces versus Muttley Crew

Muttley crew score a shock first win…

Muttley Crew is a super name.

How many do we prise away from Mother Russia before the borders get slammed closed?

"Ah, coder you say? And your reason to go to Helsinki? And your wife too? Go see my colleague through that door please...."
    I believe Russia is already trying to ban such types from leaving, as they are integral to what is left of the economy.

But some will get out, and we should be encouraging them to relocate in the Uk, or better yet, in Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham as part of our levelling up policy.
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    The scansion's a bit off though, it puts the stress on the wrong syllable of "support". It could be "if we're supported aerially", if you elide the last word a little, but then you get too far away from the rhyme. But I wanted to keep some link to the first verse of the original in the first three lines.

(Edit: and thanks :))
    edited March 2022
    Focus take the first round

And squeak the second, the current Crufts champions go through
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,332
    I've confirmed that this letter is genuine with @LINX_Network.

One of the largest Internet exchanges in the world has locked out two of Russia's leading telecom companies.

https://twitter.com/razhael/status/1502304088188465154
    https://twitter.com/woodyatpch/status/1502257208347615235

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    True

So:

"No information reaches me if we've supportive aerial"

Keeps the syllable number but also keeps the right rhythm?

I prefer talking about this to talking about the various ways the world could end this month
    TOPPING said:

A typical day on PB:

War, pestilence, and agility trials from Crufts.

Did you miss the bit about the LD winning a local government by-election?
  • IanB2 said:

I've only just looked at this thread and didn't have a clue what you were commenting on. I thought is was some sort of F1 testing where you were using codenames for the teams.
    edited March 2022
    All set for great semi finals tomorrow.

Meanwhile the best of the rest….Friday champions to be…

Lightening one up against Tails..and two.

Now Aces against Focus…a fault from Aces, first leg to Focus
    Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    The scansion's a bit off though, it puts the stress on the wrong syllable of "support". It could be "if we're supported aerially", if you elide the last word a little, but then you get too far away from the rhyme. But I wanted to keep some link to the first verse of the original in the first three lines.

The scansion is less important, I think, in a Gilbert & Sullivan pastiche.

You could replace it with,
    If we’ve supportive aerial

But I actually still prefer the original, because the “support aerial” is a nice grammatical echo of “major general”.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,855
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Bellingcat (& replies in comments) showing Russian jets taking off, crossing the border with Ukraine before u-turning and attacking a Belarussian town. Ukrainian Parliament and Belarussian media also saying that a Belarussian town was attacked. Looks like Belarus is now in.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502293789762854918

There needs to be a very well planned 'special operation' to overthrow Lukashenko.
    Dreadful man. No domestic mandate whatsoever. Rigged the election, terrorizes opponents with his police state, beholden to Putin for everything.
    Europe's last dictator - already dodgy as a title if one accepts Russia as in Europe - really needs to be final.

But he was already a pariah, more so than Putin - how much more vulnerable can he be made?
    What?! I've only been away from an hour. Is Russia now attacking Belarus?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

IanB2 said:

I've only just looked at this thread and didn't have a clue what you were commenting on. I thought is was some sort of F1 testing where you were using codenames for the teams.
    Is the new Haas that much of a dog?
  • Leon said:

I sort of miss the days post-referendum but pre-actual-Brexit where it was all just big late night Commons votes, opposition seizing the order paper, defection watch, May-bot malfunctions and endless twitter rumour. When it was high political drama but none of it had crystallised into actual outcomes.
    The sad thing is that we were all focussed on brexity-votey-handbags while ignoring real evil growing in Syria and other parts of the world. Yes bad things happen in the UK, but not draw-jopping evil. We need to look afresh at our fellow countrymen and find strength that we mostly agree on something now.
    edited March 2022
    Breaking news: England can't lose this match by an innings...

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Reading Anne Applebaum’s “Red Famine: Stalin’s war on Ukraine” - from the very beginning of the USSR Ukraine wanted independence - they wanted communism, not Bolshevism, Kyiv not Moscow - and many Bolshevik’s simply thought of Ukraine as “little Russia” with no conception of how Ukrainians viewed themselves - so Putin is far from unique in his miscalculation.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,800
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    True

So:

"No information reaches me if we've supportive aerial"

Keeps the syllable number but also keeps the right rhythm?

I prefer talking about this to talking about the various ways the world could end this month
    Because on this you know what you're talking about? ;)
    edited March 2022

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo

But I actually still prefer the original, because the “support aerial” is a nice grammatical echo of “major general”.
    Yeah, I agree. Also, the internal rhyme in line 3 isn't authentic but it was just too good to change.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,981
    BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

A typical day on PB:

War, pestilence, and agility trials from Crufts.

Did you miss the bit about the LD winning a local government by-election?
    IIRC that's are bound the area where Ms P. Patel was seen out canvassing recently. Cause and effect?
    edited March 2022
    Focus take it, so it’s now Focus v Lightning for Friday flyball champion….

Focus take the first…but a fault on the second, so it’s all even.

Meanwhile news come through that Focus were milliseconds away from breaking the Crufts record on the first round ..

Focus take it after a crossover fault on the near side.

Focus go into tomorrow favourites to retain their title.

Reading Anne Applebaum’s “Red Famine: Stalin’s war on Ukraine” - from the very beginning of the USSR Ukraine wanted independence - they wanted communism, not Bolshevism, Kyiv not Moscow - and many Bolshevik’s simply thought of Ukraine as “little Russia” with no conception of how Ukrainians viewed themselves - so Putin is far from unique in his miscalculation.

They were treated appallingly. I'm surprised there are many ethnic Ukrainians left.
    https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1502309187082149891

Biden announces that the U.S. and allied nations will move to revoke MFN trading status for Russia, known as PNTR in the U.S. (He needs Congress to do it, though.)

The U.S. is also blocking imports of certain Russian goods, like seafood, diamonds and vodka, he says.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,639

Someone will be along to point out the Scotland/England comparison forthwith!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,255

IanB2 said:

Is the new Haas that much of a dog?
    Christian Horner is barking.
    kyf_100 said:

You'd have to go back at bit; Culloden and then the Clearances. !00 years part, too.
    Although if you'd like tanks involved, there's another Essex chap who'd be, I gather, willing to help!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,467
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Bellingcat (& replies in comments) showing Russian jets taking off, crossing the border with Ukraine before u-turning and attacking a Belarussian town. Ukrainian Parliament and Belarussian media also saying that a Belarussian town was attacked. Looks like Belarus is now in.

There needs to be a very well planned 'special operation' to overthrow Lukashenko.
    Dreadful man. No domestic mandate whatsoever. Rigged the election, terrorizes opponents with his police state, beholden to Putin for everything.
    Europe's last dictator - already dodgy as a title if one accepts Russia as in Europe - really needs to be final.

But he was already a pariah, more so than Putin - how much more vulnerable can he be made?
    Reminiscent - and not in a good way - of Hitler's decision to invade Hungary in March 1944 partly because Kallay was secretly trying to formulate a peace treaty with the Aliies and partly because Horthy wouldn't hand over his Jews to be murdered. Even though Horthy was a raging antisemite who had been making their lives miserable for 25 years, he drew the line at murder. So Hitler invaded his ally, captured their leaders, installed a puppet government and took the Jews by force.

It was the action of a criminal madman who had lost not only the war but whatever small plot he once had.

It is a very good job that Hitler was prevented from developing atomic weapons in his final Nero order days.

It is a less than comforting thought that Russia already has them.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,246
    IanB2 said:

Seems a bit early for the cricket season to have started.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,255
    That whole dispersal off-road thing going well.
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1502311504904863749
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

that would be in interesting tern of events but no.

Belarusian dictator is visiting Russian dictator in Moscow today,

Some are speculating this could end up with Belarussian troops on the ground in Ukraine, which would be bad, but I think unlikely. its also possible IMHO that he has just enough independence to say things to Putin that Putin's own advisers cant say or they would be under house arrest (and worse) he might be able to say something along the lines of:

'Putin you are a great leader and a wonder to your people and history, but the Ukrainian special military operation is not going to plan. and its not going to be trend around by 10,000 extra Belarusian troops, its not going to be trend around at all. if we want to keep our jobs and carry on doing all the amazing things we do for our people then we need to find an exit strategy and it needs to be soon. please think about it.'

At least thats what I hope for.

IanB2 said:

Well, they have to squeeze in the Hundred somehow.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528
    Nigelb said:

"No problem, Ukrainian tractor will be along in a short while. Meanwhile, Moscow is that way...."

Nigelb said:

"No problem, Ukrainian tractor will be along in a short while. Meanwhile, Moscow is that way...."
    So follow me follow
    Down to the hollow
    And there let us wallow in glorious mud.
    Western Syria watchers reporting significant numbers of Syrian rebels wanting to go and fight for Ukraine in Ukraine, because at least there they'll be fighting Russian soldiers, not jets. Going to be quite something watching Syrian Army fighting Syrian Rebels in Chernobyl.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502314311913463815
    https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1502306603030220811
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,220
    IanB2 said:

All set for great semi finals tomorrow.

Meanwhile the best of the rest….Friday champions to be…

Lightening one up against Tails..and two.

Now Aces against Focus…a fault from Aces, first leg to Focus

Which sport are you talking about?

IanB2 said:

Essex vs Somerset in Abu Dhabi today. Two t20's. Tried to watch on Utube but gave up on the commentary!

Nigelb said:

Ukraine as Agincourt?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

That mud isn't particularly muddy, for all we know the truck is driving along just fine in some rather deep ruts. It's very tightly cropped so we can't see whether anyone is trying to dig/tow it out.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,097
    Is this a PB tradition, Ian live blogging Crufts?
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

So follow me follow
    Down to the hollow
    And the second chorus seems particularly appropriate:

Грязь, грязь, чудная грязь,
    лучшее средство как кожная мазь.
    Так возьми свою даму
    и поведи её в яму,
    и там мы окунемся в чудную грязь.

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Ukraine as Agincourt?
    Well, they're taking a bow on the international stage.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,949

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/11/ukraine-military-drone-crashes-into-croatian-capital-zagreb

Armed attack on NATO country by Ukraine on the face of it.

Sorry guys but rules are rules

Er... it was a Ukraine drone, and unarmed.
    The mention of parachute(s) suggests it might be carrying one of these

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/06/12/cbu-105-sensor-fuzed-weapon-usafs-ultimate-tank-buster/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,442

kyf_100 said:

You'd have to go back at bit; Culloden and then the Clearances. !00 years part, too.
    Although if you'd like tanks involved, there's another Essex chap who'd be, I gather, willing to help!
    On a point of PB pedantry, Culloden was the last act in a partly Scottish civil war and dynastic dispute. Started when the Scots kicked off the Civil Wars of Britain and Ireland in 1638 ... and as for the clearances, they extended for quite a long time, beginning quite soon after Culloden (and had already begun in the Lowlands at the time of Culloden, IIRC).
    edited March 2022
    South Korean election graphics are insane.

https://twitter.com/TheAPJournalist/status/1501588231715901440

Click to see the whole thread...
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Ukraine as Agincourt?
    It was, I believe, Welsh archers in Henry's army who made the difference.
    kinabalu said:

Please not. It doesn't even achieve that so boring it's interesting flipover that Formula one occasionally managed
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,435
    kinabalu said:

It seems there was an issue with the boxes in the flyball but I think that's just the way it rolls.

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Ukraine as Agincourt?
    They gave it their best shot, but it was definitely a Gamble.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,442
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Please not. It doesn't even achieve that so boring it's interesting flipover that Formula one occasionally managed
    Oh, I don't know. The pooches, especially the Border Collies, have a level of intelligence and volition not seen in the average F1 car.
    Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502316871642750986
    "NEW: US believes Russia dispersed its stalled 40-mile long military convoy to protect itself from Ukrainian attacks: senior US defense official.
    But Russian vehicles remain stalled. “They’re not going anywhere," SDO said. "It’s not like they’re off-roading their way to Kyiv.”"

Looks like my 'we may see the decisive battle for Kyiv in the next few days' prediction was incredibly wrong. Given how off roading has gone for them so far, we might as well consider the convoy out of the offensive war.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,559
    philiph said:

Andy_JS said:

It's going to be sliced up in the boundary review. Hitchin and Shefford (South East Bedfordshire) is probably - but who knows - too high a hill for anyone except the Tories to climb. Harpenden, Berkhamsted, Tring may well be a Lib Dem target. All depends on boundaries going through but I don't see any serious counter-proposals in this area.
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

When you say flip over, do you mean like this?

https://youtu.be/PhNT_XQMfv8
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,514
    philiph said:

Andy_JS said:

The current proposal in the boundary review is for Harpenden and Hitchin to split. Harpenden will join Tring and Berkhampstead and a greater Hitchin seat will be formed encompassing Stotfold, Shefford and Kimpton.

LDs had a good result in the old Harpenden and Hitchin seat in 2019.
    TimT said:

geoffw said:

Some of the Russian actions are so farcical, were they not also so deadly, they'd be worthy of a breathless dog show-type commentary.
    Ealing comedies could be revived with a Russian military theme.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 561
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo

Yeah, I agree. Also, the internal rhyme in line 3 isn't authentic but it was just too good to change.
    I'm very well acquainted too with warfare asymmetrical,
    I give every city a present pyrotechnical,
    About our glorious victory I'm teeming with a lot of news,
    Despite the men and tanks we frequently seem to lose
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Ealing comedies could be revived with a Russian military theme.
    Or set to the Benny Hill theme and sent out as they stand.

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Ukraine as Agincourt?
    I thought it was the mud. French men-at-arms in full body armour crushed closer and closer together as they advanced down the tapering boggy field, and then run over by their own cavalry.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2017/01/20/miracle-in-the-mud-the-hundred-years-wars-battle-of-agincourt/
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Nasty, but I've seen Wurz.
  • geoffw said:

BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Looks like we're now up to 4 dead Russian generals (including the Chechen warlord).

Meanwhile in Kherson they're going house to house rounding up anyone with links to the Ukrainian government/police/defence forces: https://twitter.com/kherradio/status/1502241215651135488

4 out of how many? I have no idea how significant that it.
    Maybe 20 major generals on the ground in Ukraine, another 10 on the ground above them?

In total each of the 12 Russian armies has a commander (usually Lt Gen or Maj Gen), then a Chief of Staff and deputy commander (both Maj Gen)

Latest death is Andriy Kolesnikov, who was Major General in charge of Russia's 29th army.

Others were:
    Sukhovetsky, Maj General, deputy commander 41st.
    Gerasimov, Maj General, Chief of Staff 41st.
    Magomed Tushaev, Maj General, Chechens

(their positions can be verified here: https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/41-я_общевойсковая_армия?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp)

So of the 36-40 most prominent Russian generals that are Maj/Lt generals in charge of units, and could be deployed on the ground, 4 of them have been killed, while around 10 of them aren't deployed to this conflict.
    So at 10% :)

if 10% of all ranks where now dead, that would be 19,000 ish so about in line with Ukrainian government estimates.
    The other day a senior analyst or military type used the word "decimation" - correctly.

If an army gets decimated ten times, it'll still have over a third of its men remaining.
    I think I've found Foxy's troops retreating on foot. Down a straight main road while taking fire... If this is the standard of their troops then wow.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,957
    Worth bearing in mind that in the Formation of Next Government Steeplechase the horse called Tory Majority Government is, according to Oddschecker, the favourite at 15/8. They also have Lab Minority at 3/1, and Lab Majority 3/1 also. I am not sure any of these are right but Lab Minority looks possible value.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Nasty, but I've seen Wurz.
    Not bad, but is that Al?
    It seems mad, but could Kelensky be right?

Does this now, ineluctably, lead to Russian defeat and withdrawal?
    edited March 2022
    Chameleon said:

I think I've found Foxy's troops retreating on foot. Down a straight main road while taking fire... If this is the standard of their troops then wow.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

I know little to nothing about military tactics etc, but naively I am not that surprised their kit isn't as good as they said it was, but I presumed they at very least had trained their troops to a good level.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,325
    @TSE will love this one

some Russians are trying to use Bitcoin to either transfer money out of Russia or to transfer money they've already put into Bitcoin into an actual foreign currency while they still can.

It's not working out for them as no exchange has anyone wanting $6bn of Bitcoins.

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1502316584739684360
    TimT said:
    'Select all images that demonstrate the level of Putin's personal courage' would be crueller but also accurate.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

So follow me follow
    Down to the hollow
    Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood ..

• CiceroCicero Posts: 2,968
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

There are repeated rumours that significant units of the Belarusian army have mutinied. Perhaps that might explain both a Russian air strike and the visit of Luko to Moscow.

With the arrest of the FSB officers, it is obviously undeniable that the Russians continue to face significant problems.
This discussion has been closed.