Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Starmer can be next PM even if CON wins most seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,745

ydoethur said:

I've been walking my Mum's dog every day for the last few weeks. Mum's had a knee operation and hasn't been able to get out at all, so I've been taking her out for over an hour and a half every lunchtime

There's an old railway line, that's been changed to a footpath, round one side of the town that makes up about an hour of the walk. There she can be off the lead the whole way.

Today as we were walking down there, she had her head deep in a bush following some smell when a pheasant emerged with a huge squawk (do they squawk?) and full wings out from the other side of the bush.

I don't think she's ever met a pheasant before, and didn't seem immediately keen. Crouched down, she fled backwards - as fast as I've ever seen her move forwards - about fifteen foot away.

With all the storms a load of trees and branches have fallen down; they've been cleared but the path is still littered with leaves and twigs like it's Autumn. She stopped her reverse as she tripped over the pile of foliage she'd built up behind her.

She tried to recover with a bold leap and bark into the air towards the space recently vacated by the pheasant.

It's only rarely that I regret not filming everything.

Putinly sincere apologies to those who don't like canine tales.

Can we just clarify that the 'she' you refer to throughout, notwithstanding the second sentence, is a canine and not your mother?
    I noticed that and thought it'd be funnier not to make it clear!

Yes; my mum's labrador.
    Your mums a Labrador?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,485
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Russian ambassador to the UN, Vasily Nebenzya, has been presenting the Kremlin’s allegations that Ukraine and the US had a plot to spread biological weapons with migratory birds, bats and insects.

The whole idea is for the birds.

The Kremlin are bats.

And they have the morals of insects.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/us-looks-to-keep-ukrainian-biological-research-facilities-from-russian-control

I still have an open mind about this, as the honesty of the Ukrainians today about the existence of the US bug factory sits uneasily with UK and US calling the Russian claims utter nonsense. What the Ukrainians have said is there was an American Bug Factory but it DEFINITELY NOT making war bugs, hence the Russian claims of Biden manufacturing biological weapons in Ukraine is utter rubbish.

I have it in my mind I’ll never know truth on this one

Correct me where I am wrong though if I have this bit of recent US politics wrong, I certainly have impression these days it’s the Democrat high command who in US politics carry most belligerence towards Russia, they wear it like a proud badge, even Bernie Sanders hates Russia, in a way the Republican leaders have a more pragmatic and moderate approach to Russia relations? So Vice President Biden for all those years in a Russian hating Obama White House, that was a bit lost and shambolic on foreign policy - we wouldn’t be shocked they liked the idea of peeling Ukraine away from Moscow, so not surprised if there’s a few things Biden wouldn’t like us to know at this moment? 🤔
    Every country on the planet has biotech labs. Russia is the place where they comprehensively and deliberately broke the Biological Weapons treaty over a period of decades. Right from the moment the treat was signed, in fact. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_biological_weapons_program#The_Cold_War

A favourite was the account of the American scientist, who when helping clean up an abandoned lab on an island in the Aral Sea, found metric *tons* of anthrax spores....

Obama repeatedly reached out to Russia. Putin kept doing his war! war! shit.
    Every country? I'd love to know what weaponised pathogens the Vatican is cooking up.
    Biotech isn't "pathogens"

The Vatican has some tame researchers in biotech, associated with the Vatican Observatory, IIRC. The reason is to keep the church up to date with the whole ethics/religious perspective on biotechnology.
    Also has a rather serious astronomical obsevatory operation, which has always puzzled me. Want to be the first to know about the Second Coming, presumably
    Just checking when someone said "but it does move"

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,869

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Russian ambassador to the UN, Vasily Nebenzya, has been presenting the Kremlin’s allegations that Ukraine and the US had a plot to spread biological weapons with migratory birds, bats and insects.

The Kremlin are bats.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/us-looks-to-keep-ukrainian-biological-research-facilities-from-russian-control

I still have an open mind about this, as the honesty of the Ukrainians today about the existence of the US bug factory sits uneasily with UK and US calling the Russian claims utter nonsense. What the Ukrainians have said is there was an American Bug Factory but it DEFINITELY NOT making war bugs, hence the Russian claims of Biden manufacturing biological weapons in Ukraine is utter rubbish.

Correct me where I am wrong though if I have this bit of recent US politics wrong, I certainly have impression these days it’s the Democrat high command who in US politics carry most belligerence towards Russia, they wear it like a proud badge, even Bernie Sanders hates Russia, in a way the Republican leaders have a more pragmatic and moderate approach to Russia relations? So Vice President Biden for all those years in a Russian hating Obama White House, that was a bit lost and shambolic on foreign policy - we wouldn’t be shocked they liked the idea of peeling Ukraine away from Moscow, so not surprised if there’s a few things Biden wouldn’t like us to know at this moment? 🤔
    Every country on the planet has biotech labs. Russia is the place where they comprehensively and deliberately broke the Biological Weapons treaty over a period of decades. Right from the moment the treat was signed, in fact. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_biological_weapons_program#The_Cold_War

A favourite was the account of the American scientist, who when helping clean up an abandoned lab on an island in the Aral Sea, found metric *tons* of anthrax spores....

We will have to agree to disagree if you think Obama’s White House was clear headed and excellent on Foreign Policy. But I totally agree with you EVERYONE has deep state, so there must be times opponents point at our deep state activities, and our governments lie to deny it, just like the same when we point to theirs, like Salisbury atrocity. And by opponents of our government deep state, not necessary China or Moscow, but amnesty or green peace. I think I have an excellent example, the Labour Government breaking law on torture with the rendition, and then lying that they had been involved.

Is it the more deep state you can do abroad the easier to deny at home it is you involved?
    All states that are part of the Bioweapons Treaty (everyone except North Korea and the like) have an inspection regime. This mean people from other countries can poke around the sites that each government is allowed, under the treaty, to have for research.

Somewhat similar to the nuclear inspection regime. Think international groups of scientists wandering around, with clipboards....

In fact this was what caused the Russian thing to leak out in the first place. A Russian scientist who took part in the inspections, realised that he had been lied to (that the US was breaking the treaty as well) and defected...

This is how we can say that, for example, Japan doesn't have a nuclear weapons program. They are scrupulously open and honest about inspection. All their plutonium is nicely stacked and labelled.....
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,589

Dura_Ace said:

We need proof of life.

One of my students recently said she now looks the Pygmy King from Dark Souls 3. I had to google it but they are right.
    That which is dead, can never die!
    You think she’s half frog….?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dura_Ace said:

We need proof of life.

One of my students recently said she now looks the Pygmy King from Dark Souls 3. I had to google it but they are right.
    Mate DS3 is old news. Elden Ring is the new hotness.

It's fucking ace.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,469
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Every country? I'd love to know what weaponised pathogens the Vatican is cooking up.
    Roman Catholicism?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

@BarakRavid
    New: Israeli Prime Minister Bennett told Ukraine President Zelensky he should take Putin's proposal to end war, a senior Ukrainian official said. "Bennett wants us to surrender but we have no intention of doing this", he said.

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1502332443902291971

They shouldn't surrender, but they should (they may already have, I am not up to date today) offer counter proposals.
    Counter proposal: Russia surrenders and dis-arms, well its nucks anyway.

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

We will have to agree to disagree if you think Obama’s White House was clear headed and excellent on Foreign Policy. But I totally agree with you EVERYONE has deep state, so there must be times opponents point at our deep state activities, and our governments lie to deny it, just like the same when we point to theirs, like Salisbury atrocity. And by opponents of our government deep state, not necessary China or Moscow, but amnesty or green peace. I think I have an excellent example, the Labour Government breaking law on torture with the rendition, and then lying that they had been involved.

Is it the more deep state you can do abroad the easier to deny at home it is you involved?
    All states that are part of the Bioweapons Treaty (everyone except North Korea and the like) have an inspection regime. This mean people from other countries can poke around the sites that each government is allowed, under the treaty, to have for research.

Somewhat similar to the nuclear inspection regime. Think international groups of scientists wandering around, with clipboards....

In fact this was what caused the Russian thing to leak out in the first place. A Russian scientist who took part in the inspections, realised that he had been lied to (that the US was breaking the treaty as well) and defected...

This is how we can say that, for example, Japan doesn't have a nuclear weapons program. They are scrupulously open and honest about inspection. All their plutonium is nicely stacked and labelled.....
    Hopefully not too close together….
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,737
    President Biden confirms the USA will not go to war with Russia over Ukraine.

However he confirms US commitment to defence of NATO states

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1502353759455821833?s=20&t=BtEyfSYL3vS_w7-K7ywltA
    BigRich said:

@BarakRavid
    New: Israeli Prime Minister Bennett told Ukraine President Zelensky he should take Putin's proposal to end war, a senior Ukrainian official said. "Bennett wants us to surrender but we have no intention of doing this", he said.

They shouldn't surrender, but they should (they may already have, I am not up to date today) offer counter proposals.
    The counter proposal was very effectively delivered by the soldiers on Snake Island.
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

The Vatican has some tame researchers in biotech, associated with the Vatican Observatory, IIRC. The reason is to keep the church up to date with the whole ethics/religious perspective on biotechnology.
    Also has a rather serious astronomical obsevatory operation, which has always puzzled me. Want to be the first to know about the Second Coming, presumably
    Running the world calendar used to be a Church thing. Gregorian Calendar (Pope Gregory XIII) etc... Hence the astronomy.

It goes all the way back to Ancient Rome, when the Calendar was the job of the priests. A Pontifex Maximus (still a title of the Pope) by the name of Julius Caesar did the previous reformation of the calendar, before Gregory....
    Definition of Easter, too. First Sunday following the full Moon that occurs on or just after the spring equinox. Though do they really need an observatory for that?
    Government project. Always expanding, spending more money or more and more detailed data....

They also did a lot for navigation, over the centuries.
  • I've rarely before reined in my criticism of Corbyn, but I'm so confused by his reaction to the Salisbury poisonings.

He's always been anti-NATO, hence his STW criticism of them over Russia re Crimea etc. But he's also been otherwise persistently against everything Putin has done.

His request to send samples of the poisons to Russia was so weirdly specific, that it really didn't sound like the sort of vague platitude that he inevitably comes up with to sound like the man of peace.

Is there any chance that he was leaned on through his (China funded) mate Barry Gardiner's son who was playing for Zenit St Petersburg at the time?

If that happened I can respect his reason for saying what he did.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,531
    I see some of the International Brigade are getting cold feet when they find out that joining the Ukranian Army is for the duration not just for Instagram.

https://www.economist.com/1843/2022/03/11/fighters-with-ukraines-foreign-legion-are-being-asked-to-sign-indefinite-contracts-some-have-refused
    edited March 2022
    BigRich said:

@BarakRavid

Yes, and that would be a starting point. At the moment I'm just not sure that the Ukrainians engaging with the process. Which may be understandable because they hate the bones of Russia and would like America to sweep in and blow Putin to bits, but that's not the best solution for anyone else except Pagan2 who welcomes nuclear obliteration.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682
    IanB2 said:

Now judging begins of the Hound group..

You ain't nothing but a hound dog.

@IanB2 has left the building ..
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Just checking when someone said "but it does move"

very quietly
    biggles said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Hopefully not too close together….
    Bird cages, my friend, bird cages....
  • Evening all! Totally off topic but I have had fun* with my new work laptop. Needed upgrading from Windows 11 Home to Professional. Faff with the product key necessitated a clean install of Windows. Onto a brand new machine. To switch Home for Pro.

Glad to see that Microsoft are still brilliant at doing silly...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,175

BigRich said:

@BarakRavid

Yes, and that would be a starting point. At the moment I'm just not sure that the Ukrainians engaging with the process. Which may be understandable because they hate the bones of Russia and would like America to sweep in and blow Putin to bits, but that's not the best solution for anyone else except Pagan2 who welcomes nuclear obliteration.
    It is understandable that you would say the Ukrainians are not engaging with the process, as that is a rather pro-Russian viewpoint to take.

As ever, with you, comrade!
    Foxy said:

I see some of the International Brigade are getting cold feet when they find out that joining the Ukranian Army is for the duration not just for Instagram.

https://www.economist.com/1843/2022/03/11/fighters-with-ukraines-foreign-legion-are-being-asked-to-sign-indefinite-contracts-some-have-refused

A petty concern like that won't put our Gallowgate off. He has no time for knicker wetters. He'll probably ask them why they're not signing up his next life too.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,526
    What's the matter with Serbia? Post-imperial hang up? So many countries in eastern Europe seem to be moving forward. Their President looks like a complete berk.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,101

Evening all! Totally off topic but I have had fun* with my new work laptop. Needed upgrading from Windows 11 Home to Professional. Faff with the product key necessitated a clean install of Windows. Onto a brand new machine. To switch Home for Pro.

It's still pretty baffling that MS bother with home/pro versions of the same software. Just have one version, it removes so much complexity and hassle.

BigRich said:

@BarakRavid

It is understandable that you would say the Ukrainians are not engaging with the process, as that is a rather pro-Russian viewpoint to take.

As ever, with you, comrade!
    Is it? I said I'm not up to date today - can you tell me what their response has been to the proposals outlined in a thread header here some days ago?

What's the matter with Serbia? Post-imperial hang up? So many countries in eastern Europe seem to be moving forward. Their President looks like a complete berk.

Been mates with Russia since the year dot. See the reason World War One kicked off....

Interestingly, back then, Serbia was *effectively run* by a bunch of fucked-in-de-head Greater Serbian Nationalists....
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Actually, no. The CWC has a verification regime, but the BWC does not. This year is one of the 5-yearly Review Conferences for the BWC and the issue of verification is back on the agenda. That is why I was in the UK last week.

PS I think your story must relate to the US, UK, Soviet trilaterals, which happened outside of the treaty apparatus.

Been mates with Russia since the year dot. See the reason World War One kicked off....

Interestingly, back then, Serbia was *effectively run* by a bunch of fucked-in-de-head Greater Serbian Nationalists....
    I can't agree with you there. Germany was to blame.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    IanB2 said:

Freedland: ..the chief value in making a comparison between this moment and the agony of September 2001 is to ensure we don’t make the same mistakes all over again.

The battle now is against Putin and Putinism, not Russia or Russians. Severing links with institutions tied to the Kremlin makes sense; banning a course on the novels of Dostoevsky is dumb. Most Russians are themselves victims of Putinism.

A new generation is seeing that in order to stand up to a murderous dictator who opposes everything they believe in – from minority rights to free expression – sometimes only force will do. In other words, this latest paradigm shift is already undoing the impact of the last one.

This invasion has provoked a reaction that its architect did not predict: a western resolve that not only must Putin be stopped in Ukraine, Putinism must be defeated. It is a determination fiercer than any since 2001. This battle matters more than that one – which is why it must not re-enact its follies and must not repeat its mistakes

“ The battle now is against Putin and Putinism, not Russia or Russians. Severing links with institutions tied to the Kremlin makes sense; banning a course on the novels of Dostoevsky is dumb. Most Russians are themselves victims of Putinism. “

Yes and no.

No. I don’t think Putin and Russian Nationalism is devoid of support in Russia. Yes, I am worried anti Russian sentiment all around us in this country remains more than this frustrated phase we are going through seeing all the horrible news from Ukraine. Why? This is 2022. With our screens constantly in our hands we may be the generations most exposed to all the horrors and unfairness in the world, and such a thing can change us, we can become something other than who we want to be. So we have to be mindful about that.

Take Chelsea for example. Certainly fans of the club are suffering, but is a Roman really going to suffer as much? Yeah right, you sure he has no loopholes? He’s probably diserfied into circumnavigating ban of western cigarettes into Russia so is going to add to his fortune exploiting the huge new black market between west and east.

We can’t control the barbarity Mad Vlad is doing, hence our frustration borderline depression, and explains all anger and transference on PB this week. We could have ensured our response was discriminate, not indiscriminate and cosmetic, and we have to some degree failed to haven’t we? We should have at least have had control over our own reaction. We’ve lost our minds, the moderation and humanity that put us in the right in the first place, a bit, haven’t we? ☹️
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

biggles said:

BigRich said:

The Ukrainians are claiming another Su-34 has been shot down in the Chernihiv region.

as the Su-34 only entered service in 2014 I would have thought it would be quite good, but they do seem to have lost quite a few now.
    It seems to be the inexplicable low flying in a high threat environment for manpads. Viewed with a western eye it’s bonkers. But it would seem to be a lack of stand off munitions, good countermeasures, and training.
    A lot of Russia's weapons are warmed over variants of Cold War stuff. The T-90 is a face lift to the T-72. The Su-34 is how much of an advance on the Su-27?
    As far as I'm aware it had a long gestation due to the problems Russia faced in the 1990s - it first flew in 1987. But it has had many upgrades, and appears to have performed well in Syria.

Yet they are being shot down over Ukraine.
    In Syria, they are facing very little opposition.
    Russia confused bombing bakeries and water treatment plants of people without anti aircraft weapons with being good at war.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,513
    Dura_Ace said:

We need proof of life.

Why are royal reporters always so circumloquacious? All those "had been hads".
  • MaxPB said:

Evening all! Totally off topic but I have had fun* with my new work laptop. Needed upgrading from Windows 11 Home to Professional. Faff with the product key necessitated a clean install of Windows. Onto a brand new machine. To switch Home for Pro.

It's still pretty baffling that MS bother with home/pro versions of the same software. Just have one version, it removes so much complexity and hassle.
    Entertainingly that actually is the case for Windows 11. Pro just switches on functionality on top of the same version.

Have to laugh. Brand new Surface Pro 8, an hour old having to have a really old keyboard plugged in with adaptors to do the new install. Proper high tech user experience!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    mwadams said:

Dura_Ace said:

We need proof of life.

Why are royal reporters always so circumloquacious? All those "had been hads".
    Most of the time they have to make something inconsequential seem newsworthy - filling space unnecessarily follows as a part of that.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    HYUFD said:

President Biden confirms the USA will not go to war with Russia over Ukraine.

However he confirms US commitment to defence of NATO states

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1502353759455821833?s=20&t=BtEyfSYL3vS_w7-K7ywltA

Can that commitment still be relied on for the likes of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania?

And more importantly, regardless of the answer, would Putin feel that the US commitment to those states was a genuine one, given the conduct of the US towards Ukraine thus far?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,719
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

The best of the 306 entered Staffies getting the onceover from the judges. Popular with many in the crowd; with other dog owners, not so much.

They are admittedly stand out revolting, but it's only a matter of degree...
    Do you have a fluffy white cat? I have to ask.
    I have livestock on Dartmoor. Comes to the same thing.
    The only people that let there dogs off the lead when there are sheep about are people that shouldn’t have dogs.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,628
    edited March 2022

Is this a (rather funny) piss take?

Or horrifyingly real?

Laurence Fox ✝️ 🚚🚛🚚🚛🚚🚛
    @LozzaFox
    After many months of secrecy and guilt, today we are able to celebrate our new shared beginning together here on Twatter. Thank you for making me the man I today. I look forward spending the rest of my life with you ⁦@JuliaHB1

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1502298419817287689

If they are happy it is fine.

I love the sideways look from the lady behind.

And what is this? More Crufts?

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,051
    IanB2 said:

And this is what really pisses me off: everyone should know that it was the Belgians who were running the show. As ever, they manage to avoid approbation for their acts.
    One option - apparently - is for the Russian to turn all Ukraine's cities into rubble. But if we're ruling out nukes do they actually have the firepower to do this? I mean how many missiles do they actually have in total and how many have been fired already?
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

And this is what really pisses me off: everyone should know that it was the Belgians who were running the show. As ever, they manage to avoid approbation for their acts.
    Yes, it was that chap whose dad invented the question mark, wasn't it?
    Even though I’m a republican, why should anyone expect a 95 year old to carry out any kind of work? Please let her carry out only those functions she is able and willing to carry out, and don’t expect more, if you really respect her.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,531

Being bombed by NATO, and allied with Russia for a couple of centuries mostly, I think.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,221
    Farooq said:

Hasn't it occurred to anyone that having an intermediary that has indulged in exactly the same kind of behaviour as Russia is a poor choice? Israel is hardly going to want to help negotiate the return of occupied territory.

The Ukrainians are saying that the Israelis are attempting to play the role of mediator as a way to avoid picking a side.

No-one chose them as a mediator, they're self-appointed.

Turkey possibly has similar motivations, but they seem to have better relationships with both sides, so can more credibly fulfil the role.

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

The best of the 306 entered Staffies getting the onceover from the judges. Popular with many in the crowd; with other dog owners, not so much.

They are admittedly stand out revolting, but it's only a matter of degree...
    Do you have a fluffy white cat? I have to ask.
    I have livestock on Dartmoor. Comes to the same thing.
    The only people that let there dogs off the lead when there are sheep about are people that shouldn’t have dogs.
    And those appearing on "One Man and His Dog"

MaxPB said:

Entertainingly that actually is the case for Windows 11. Pro just switches on functionality on top of the same version.

Have to laugh. Brand new Surface Pro 8, an hour old having to have a really old keyboard plugged in with adaptors to do the new install. Proper high tech user experience!
    This is what Apple get right, I flip the Mac open and it does just work. I got a 16" M1 Max for personal use and I had no setup, just had to make a login profile and everything just worked from day one. It's such a huge difference in experience compared to windows laptops which need very heavy handholding before you get to actually use it and if something fucks up then you're into recovery modes, clean installations, fixing drivers etc...

It's my first Mac for personal use and I have no regrets about switching from windows, even though the XPS was a very nice laptop.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

One option - apparently - is for the Russian to turn all Ukraine's cities into rubble. But if we're ruling out nukes do they actually have the firepower to do this? I mean how many missiles do they actually have in total and how many have been fired already?

I think that is why they are now doing most of the destruction with artillery shells, still not cheep, but a hell of a lot cheaper than missiles and the Russians will have a lot more of them.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,123

As I posted a few days ago: keep an eye on Republika Srpska.

It is far more likely to kick off there than in Moldova.

The whole of the Balkans could be aflame soon on top of Ukr.

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,533

Even though I’m a republican, why should anyone expect a 95 year old to carry out any kind of work? Please let her carry out only those functions she is able and willing to carry out, and don’t expect more, if you really respect her.
    Who is saying she has to carry it out? The news is she isn't, not that she refuses to.
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Actually, no. The CWC has a verification regime, but the BWC does not. This year is one of the 5-yearly Review Conferences for the BWC and the issue of verification is back on the agenda. That is why I was in the UK last week.

PS I think your story must relate to the US, UK, Soviet trilaterals, which happened outside of the treaty apparatus.
    Yes - I was kinda blending it together. I would definitely be interested to hear what the thinking is, going forward, on the Biological Weapons Treaty.
    Could/should Boris persuade the Saudis to pump more oil? James Forsyth thinks so.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/boris-holds-the-key-to-unlocking-saudi-oil
    geoffw said:

Could/should Boris persuade the Saudis to pump more oil? James Forsyth thinks so.

Show them what happens if they don't.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,478
    And the judge’s shortlist for the Hound group is: the greyhound, Irish wolf, Rhodesian ridgeback, whippet, basset griffon, beagle, wire daschund, Ibizan, and the pharaoh.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,428
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I've been walking my Mum's dog every day for the last few weeks. Mum's had a knee operation and hasn't been able to get out at all, so I've been taking her out for over an hour and a half every lunchtime

There's an old railway line, that's been changed to a footpath, round one side of the town that makes up about an hour of the walk. There she can be off the lead the whole way.

Today as we were walking down there, she had her head deep in a bush following some smell when a pheasant emerged with a huge squawk (do they squawk?) and full wings out from the other side of the bush.

I don't think she's ever met a pheasant before, and didn't seem immediately keen. Crouched down, she fled backwards - as fast as I've ever seen her move forwards - about fifteen foot away.

With all the storms a load of trees and branches have fallen down; they've been cleared but the path is still littered with leaves and twigs like it's Autumn. She stopped her reverse as she tripped over the pile of foliage she'd built up behind her.

She tried to recover with a bold leap and bark into the air towards the space recently vacated by the pheasant.

It's only rarely that I regret not filming everything.

Putinly sincere apologies to those who don't like canine tales.

Can we just clarify that the 'she' you refer to throughout, notwithstanding the second sentence, is a canine and not your mother?
    I noticed that and thought it'd be funnier not to make it clear!

Yes; my mum's labrador.
    That makes a more convincing if somewhat less arresting mental image...
    Always delighted to hear appealing tales about readers' in-house dogshit production facilities. Keep em coming. It is what the site is all about.
    Talking about dog shite production, I do wonder what is going to happen with food shortages and price increases. The hounds might be facing competition for their dinners from the local students, that is if the owners can afford to feed them.
  • So NordStream and all the other European demands on Russian energy supplies (including our own - I'm pissed off that we're spending the year cutting them off) are their main and enormous source of sanction evading cash at this time.

Is Deutsche Bank the biggest institutional (if that's the right word..) block to proper sanctions being enforced by the West?

If both of these are true, could someone with better German than my beer ordering skills, please ask the Germans what the actual fuck they think they're playing at?

Sie sind der Bruch.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,445
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Knightsbridge off limits to them? That might do it.

"Around 60 per cent of haddock and cod, the most popular choices in Britain, originates from Russia, which controls nearly 45 percent of the global whitefish supply."

Mail

Can this be true? 60%?

Who knew?

It’s not so long ago that the Russian klondykers were moored off Ullapool. Maybe we should eat herring like we used to, and leave the haddock and cod to the Russians. When was the last time anyone saw a bloater?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,478
    edited March 2022
    And the 2022 winner of the Hound group is the greyhound! From Germany

Runner up is the whippet from Holland
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    Ukraine's information warfare being best in class, example 3,412: https://twitter.com/3TrAmvL026aJRar/status/1502365878956007424

Well,

1) the nut jobs in Serbia assassinated the ArchDuck.
    2) This upset his family, who ran the Austro-Hungarian Empire franchise thing. So they demanded that Serbia, essentially, surrender.
    3) Russia stepped in and said "Not our mate, no".
    4) Germany was low on friends, just had the AHE franchise as a besty - so said "All in, with them".
    5The French were kinda dating the Russian Empire, backed them up.

And then the chairs started flying in the bar....

There is lots of of blame to share. But the Black Hand did start the ball rolling.
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

They're in a bit of a strop with Biden atm.

• We need to change every dog mess bin in the country to this.

He has a shitcan face.
  • Priti Patel is briefing against the PM.

Downing Street put the brakes on Home Office initiatives to allow a bigger share of Ukrainians fleeing their homeland to settle in the United Kingdom, Sky News understands.

Home Secretary Priti Patel faced significant criticism this week from colleagues for failing to provide more routes for Ukrainians to reach the UK, prompting anger among Conservative MPs and speculation she could be removed from her role.

Sky News understands that Number 10 played a key role in reining in two initiatives from Ms Patel, which would have opened the system up even further.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-number-10-put-brakes-on-home-office-plans-for-more-generous-refugee-offer-sky-news-understands-12563556

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Start freezing assets as we've done to Russian oligarchs. Saudi is another Putin style regime killing kids in Yemen, we've just decided to ally ourselves with them because they have much more money than Russia.
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

That is why Ukrainian governments admission about Biden’s factory today either sort of refreshing and honest, or more likely a bit naive, like newbies not playing the game properly? I’m not saying Putin is right, thanks to Biden and Obama US deep state making biological bombs in Ukraine, but because Obama and Biden not very smart in foreign policy they have given Putin something to say to try to justify what to our ears but not all ears around world, is unjustifiable. To claim over last 15 years the US have beaten China and Russia in soft power and propaganda throughout Africa and many other places around the world is ludicrous - US have been rubbish at playing this game, and that only strengthens opponents.
    TimT said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

The greatest immediate concern for Chelsea is that the crisis triggers an insolvency event, which runs the risk of a nine-point deduction under Premier League rules, increasing the urgency for a sale to go through.

Well that doesn't sound a tragedy. They're not in any danger of winning the league, nor of relegation, even with a nine point penalty. They'll finish slightly further down the table and start again next year afresh.
    Out of Europe would be devastating for Chelses
    I'm with Brian Clough on this. Europe's a sideshow.
    Is it financially, though?
    That’s what’s so sad. Football should be paid for by fans through the turnstiles at 3pm on Saturday. I hate Sky and their parasitical bloodsucking of the soul of football.

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

That is why Ukrainian governments admission about Biden’s factory today either sort of refreshing and honest, or more likely a bit naive, like newbies not playing the game properly? I’m not saying Putin is right, thanks to Biden and Obama US deep state making biological bombs in Ukraine, but because Obama and Biden not very smart in foreign policy they have given Putin something to say to try to justify what to our ears but not all ears around world, is unjustifiable. To claim over last 15 years the US have beaten China and Russia in soft power and propaganda throughout Africa and many other places around the world is ludicrous - US have been rubbish at playing this game, and that only strengthens opponents.
    What admission? Are you reading Trump News or something?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,057

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Not to mention the detail of the Russian allegations was utterly effing laughable.
    edited March 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Start freezing assets as we've done to Russian oligarchs. Saudi is another Putin style regime killing kids in Yemen, we've just decided to ally ourselves with them because they have much more money than Russia.
    Saudi for all its faults has not invaded another neighbouring country like Russia invaded Ukraine.

It just backed a side in the Yemen civil war and restored the previous government
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

“ Saudi is another Putin style regime killing kids in Yemen “

No you can’t throw that one, UK been assisting Saud in that war.

But what we can do is identify dirty China money and influence as being the same as dirty Putin oligarch influence. Otherwise we haven’t really learnt a lesson from this have we? Putin and China been grooming our country with incoming money for a purpose, have we properly learnt the lesson just by going after ruskie mafia not the Chinese version of same thing?

Yet again right now Boris government asleep at the wheel.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,283
    MattW said:

Is this a (rather funny) piss take?

Or horrifyingly real?

Laurence Fox ✝️ 🚚🚛🚚🚛🚚🚛
    @LozzaFox
    After many months of secrecy and guilt, today we are able to celebrate our new shared beginning together here on Twatter. Thank you for making me the man I today. I look forward spending the rest of my life with you ⁦@JuliaHB1

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1502298419817287689

If they are happy it is fine.

I love the sideways look from the lady behind.

And what is this? More Crufts?

We can safely say they are made for each other and will ideally disappear up each other’s backsides never to be seen again

I doubt Vlad has ruled out nukes.

My view is that sadly we will see the first nuke on european soil in next few weeks.

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,640
    edited March 2022
    Sky

Barclays suspend Chelsea's bank accounts and their credit cards
    IanB2 said:

And the judge’s shortlist for the Hound group is: the greyhound, Irish wolf, Rhodesian ridgeback, whippet, basset griffon, beagle, wire daschund, Ibizan, and the pharaoh.

Tomorrow’s the important day. Miniature Schnauzers!
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,729

We need to change every dog mess bin in the country to this.

He has a shitcan face.
    I don't have a dog but I feel like using it anyway.
    MattW said:

Cost of the War to Russia

I was sceptical about the $20bn a day cost to Russia.

But given all the economic stuff now, and loss of kit, loss of lifetime GDP of 10k of dead military and partial loss for xxxxx k of wounded military, and perhaps reparations, I can see that we are ticking closer to the $20bn a day cost.

This is the best, though limited, analysis I have seen:https://www.consultancy.eu/news/7433/research-ukraine-war-costs-russian-military-20-billion-per-day

The destruction they are wreaking in Ukraine is likely more than that.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

This is what Apple get right, I flip the Mac open and it does just work. I got a 16" M1 Max for personal use and I had no setup, just had to make a login profile and everything just worked from day one. It's such a huge difference in experience compared to windows laptops which need very heavy handholding before you get to actually use it and if something fucks up then you're into recovery modes, clean installations, fixing drivers etc...

It's my first Mac for personal use and I have no regrets about switching from windows, even though the XPS was a very nice laptop.
    That's why I eradicated Windows completely and switched to Chrome OS. But now need full fat Office apps etc, so...
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

God, what is Horner such a dickbag?

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said the Mercedes design complied with the rules a day after being quoted saying it was "illegal".

Horner said it was an "extreme" rules interpretation, but: "It looks like it ticks all the [legality] boxes."

He insisted his earlier quoted comments about the car "weren't made".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60713781

Yeah his claims about Masi being forced out by Mercedes "bullying" were also a joke. He's more irritating than anyone else in F1, longing for the day when Adrian Newey retires/leaves and RBR can't produce rockets.
    Though F1 needs a bad guy.

Priti Patel is briefing against the PM.

Downing Street put the brakes on Home Office initiatives to allow a bigger share of Ukrainians fleeing their homeland to settle in the United Kingdom, Sky News understands.

Home Secretary Priti Patel faced significant criticism this week from colleagues for failing to provide more routes for Ukrainians to reach the UK, prompting anger among Conservative MPs and speculation she could be removed from her role.

Sky News understands that Number 10 played a key role in reining in two initiatives from Ms Patel, which would have opened the system up even further.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-number-10-put-brakes-on-home-office-plans-for-more-generous-refugee-offer-sky-news-understands-12563556

If it’s true, she should resign on principle.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,445
    Alistair said:

biggles said:

BigRich said:

The Ukrainians are claiming another Su-34 has been shot down in the Chernihiv region.

as the Su-34 only entered service in 2014 I would have thought it would be quite good, but they do seem to have lost quite a few now.
    It seems to be the inexplicable low flying in a high threat environment for manpads. Viewed with a western eye it’s bonkers. But it would seem to be a lack of stand off munitions, good countermeasures, and training.
    A lot of Russia's weapons are warmed over variants of Cold War stuff. The T-90 is a face lift to the T-72. The Su-34 is how much of an advance on the Su-27?
    As far as I'm aware it had a long gestation due to the problems Russia faced in the 1990s - it first flew in 1987. But it has had many upgrades, and appears to have performed well in Syria.

Yet they are being shot down over Ukraine.
    In Syria, they are facing very little opposition.
    Russia confused bombing bakeries and water treatment plants of people without anti aircraft weapons with being good at war.
    Thinking about it, is Ukraine the first well equipped force that the Soviet/Russian military have come up against since 1945? The Hungarians were a bunch of kids with submachine guns, Czechs not even that, Afghans tanned them, Chechens, Georgians, proxies etc.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,244

We need to change every dog mess bin in the country to this.

He has a shitcan face.
    The quality of comment on poolitical betting is crap now. Really gone down the pan.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,971

George - "The war stated because of the vile Brits and their villainous empire-building!"
    Blackadder - "George, the Russian Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the British Empire consists of a small curry house in Diego Garcia. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front."

Priti Patel is briefing against the PM.

If it’s true, she should resign on principle.
    Fraser Nelson reports same in Telegraph. No 10 were blocking plans.

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

That is the problem with the stream of lies and nonsense from the fascist regime. Allegations are simple; debunking is effort.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

+1 - and for dev, you have a pretty decent UNIX

Apple really raised the bar for consumer electronics. I use a Garmin watch - and it is painfully obvious that their UX is still a million miles behind. Much better device than the iWatch, just harder to learn to use.

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Yes - I was kinda blending it together. I would definitely be interested to hear what the thinking is, going forward, on the Biological Weapons Treaty.
    Youngsters and idealists want an intrusive inspection regime. Old hands, particularly those who have first hand experience of Lavrov in the UNSC - like me - and people in industry, think it's pointless:

1. There are far too many 'biotech' facilities worldwide for inspection to even scratch the surface
    2. If weaponizing live agents, material balance approaches from the NPT and CWC make no sense
    3. The footprint is too small and getting smaller. A gene synthesizer is no bigger than a desktop printer these days.
    4. What do you inspect? Pathogen list-based approaches make no sense in a world of CRISPR, cheap genome sequencing, GWAS studies, Big Data and AI-assisted genome and protein design. How do you inspect genomes kept in silico?
    5. We live in a post-truth world. 'Proving' that someone has biological weapons or has used them is of very little real world value. Witness Lavrov on Russia not invading Ukraine.

I could go on. My own view is that an international inspection regime is worse than useless - it is horrendously expensive, adds cost to legitimate biotech, and will be abused to undermine confidence in the BWC. Far better to have verification based at the national/policing level (so that good actors can prove they are in compliance), and focus on the organizations and individuals to normalize abhorrence of BW, IMO.

That said, I was one of the very few 'old hands' at the meeting, and was a minority voice, even though there were a number of nodding heads around the room.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That's why I eradicated Windows completely and switched to Chrome OS. But now need full fat Office apps etc, so...
    FWIW if you're still in the return window for yours I'd recommend the 13" M1 Mac, I have one for work and it runs full fat Office 365 with no issues along with a whole host of other analytics apps a development environments. It's probably fairly price competitive with the Surface laptops as well.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,363
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Saudi for all its faults has not invaded another neighbouring country like Russia invaded Ukraine.

It just backed a side in the Yemen civil war and restored the previous government
    Putin's plan was to restore a previous government too.

Have you not seen the death toll in Yemen?

There are some other Putinesque tendencies that would be best nipped in the bud too. Misogyny, subjugation of the people and torture, imprisonment and execution of critics to name but a few. Other than that I am sure they are a very, very nice government.
    TimT said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The Kremlin are bats.

Youngsters and idealists want an intrusive inspection regime. Old hands, particularly those who have first hand experience of Lavrov in the UNSC - like me - and people in industry, think it's pointless:

1. There are far too many 'biotech' facilities worldwide for inspection to even scratch the surface
    2. If weaponizing live agents, material balance approaches from the NPT and CWC make no sense
    3. The footprint is too small and getting smaller. A gene synthesizer is no bigger than a desktop printer these days.
    4. What do you inspect? Pathogen list-based approaches make no sense in a world of CRISPR, cheap genome sequencing, GWAS studies, Big Data and AI-assisted genome and protein design. How do you inspect genomes kept in silico?
    5. We live in a post-truth world. 'Proving' that someone has biological weapons or has used them is of very little real world value. Witness Lavrov on Russia not invading Ukraine.

I could go on. My own view is that an international inspection regime is worse than useless - it is horrendously expensive, adds cost to legitimate biotech, and will be abused to undermine confidence in the BWC. Far better to have verification based at the national/policing level (so that good actors can prove they are in compliance), and focus on the organizations and individuals to normalize abhorrence of BW, IMO.

That said, I was one of the very few 'old hands' at the meeting, and was a minority voice, even though there were a number of nodding heads around the room.
    3) in particular - I did wonder, when I was sitting in London Hackspace as someone showed me how to muck with the E. Coli genome, how long before "New Rose Hotel" is merely a matter of buying kit on Amazon.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Apple really raised the bar for consumer electronics. I use a Garmin watch - and it is painfully obvious that their UX is still a million miles behind. Much better device than the iWatch, just harder to learn to use.
    Yeah the terminal functionality in MacOS is just so much better than powershell or something along those lines from windows. It's also got a really, really good native instance of VSCode for Apple Silicon. I just find the whole experience of working, developing and editing photos/videos on Mac so much easier than it was on Windows.
    What an exciting team this french side are. Genuinely won’t mind seeing England lose to them next week.
  • 🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Labour lead at six points in latest results from Deltapoll.
    Con 34% (-)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (-)
    Other 16% (+1)
    Fieldwork: 8-11 Mar 2022
    Sample: 2,003
    Changes from 3-4 Feb 2022

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/1502373803598491661

Will the Tories ever lead a poll again?
  • I've grown quite fond of Illia and his reports over the last fortnight. My favourite thing about seeing them is seeing that he's still alive.

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko
    The Pentagon: Ukraine has managed to preserve 80% of its Air Force in spite of Russian strikes.
    We now reportedly have 56 fighter fighter jets. 5 to 10 sorties a day against 200 Russian sorties.
    Not bad, ladies and gentlemen, not bad.
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502374682112282638

Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦
    @IAPonomarenko
    Defense reporter with The Kyiv Independent. War, weapons, beer & heavy metal. A village guy from Donbas in a crusade for something better.
    JournalistKyiv, Ukrainekyivindependent.com/author/illia-p…Joined March 2011
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko

• MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah the terminal functionality in MacOS is just so much better than powershell or something along those lines from windows. It's also got a really, really good native instance of VSCode for Apple Silicon. I just find the whole experience of working, developing and editing photos/videos on Mac so much easier than it was on Windows.
    VSCode is good for an Electron app but it's still Electron. We really must get away from it, it's just horrible
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,533

🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Con 34% (-)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (-)
    Other 16% (+1)

QTWTAIY?

🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Con 34% (-)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (-)
    Other 16% (+1)

Yes. All politics is cyclical.
  • Apple Silicon is perhaps the biggest change in the computing industry of the last decade - and yet has gone almost completely unnoticed.

I am very, very long on Apple.

So NordStream and all the other European demands on Russian energy supplies (including our own - I'm pissed off that we're spending the year cutting them off) are their main and enormous source of sanction evading cash at this time.

Is Deutsche Bank the biggest institutional (if that's the right word..) block to proper sanctions being enforced by the West?

If both of these are true, could someone with better German than my beer ordering skills, please ask the Germans what the actual fuck they think they're playing at?

Sie sind der Bruch.

I think I know what you are saying, because when you tackle a problem, in this case stopping our money funding Putin’s evil war and regime, you tackle the big things that make a difference first - due to previously getting dependent up to eyebrows it’s very slow to get away from handing Putin big money, so our media is full of piddling things, transfer ban on Chelsea they have to play euro matches behind closed doors, sanctioning hundreds of Rus MPs in a way they won’t notice, yet the big things, still pumping money into Putins hands, still going on!

Can you see the relationship I am making below between what you are saying, and where I am saying UK Having msde decision to get into bed with China on infrastructure such as coms, and declaring ages ago we were getting out of that, we are still in it! 🤦‍♀️
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,935
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

They need to get GPU acceleration support working for pytorch, tensorflow and jax.

🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Con 34% (-)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (-)
    Other 16% (+1)

The Tories have been in power 12 years, most governments in power that long trail. Indeed only 3 governments since WW2 have lasted that long, the 1951 to 1964 Tory government, the 1979 to 1997 Tory government and the 1997 to 2010 Labour government. They often trailed by more than 6% 12 years in
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,971

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

Putin's plan was to restore a previous government too.

Have you not seen the death toll in Yemen?

There are some other Putinesque tendencies that would be best nipped in the bud too. Misogyny, subjugation of the people and torture, imprisonment and execution of critics to name but a few. Other than that I am sure they are a very, very nice government.
    The Saudis score 7/100 for freedom according to Freedom House (1/40 for Political Rights, 6/60 for Civil Liberties).

https://freedomhouse.org/explore-the-map?type=fiw&year=2022

🚨🚨New Voting Intention🚨🚨
    Con 34% (-)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    Lib Dem 10% (-)
    Other 16% (+1)

Yes, in time. You really get into each poll don’t you! I admire your enthusiasm.
This discussion has been closed.