Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Starmer can be next PM even if CON wins most seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,650
    Applicant said:

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1502309187082149891

Biden announces that the U.S. and allied nations will move to revoke MFN trading status for Russia, known as PNTR in the U.S. (He needs Congress to do it, though.)

The U.S. is also blocking imports of certain Russian goods, like seafood, diamonds and vodka, he says.

"The U.S. is also blocking imports of certain Russian goods, like seafood, diamonds and vodka, he says."

Blimey, life won't be worth living for some. That deprivation must surely drive a Trump revival.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,057
    sarissa said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/11/ukraine-military-drone-crashes-into-croatian-capital-zagreb

Armed attack on NATO country by Ukraine on the face of it.

Sorry guys but rules are rules

Er... it was a Ukraine drone, and unarmed.
    The mention of parachute(s) suggests it might be carrying one of these

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/06/12/cbu-105-sensor-fuzed-weapon-usafs-ultimate-tank-buster/
    Thought to be one of these:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-141

The parachute is for landing.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,101

If true, the news that 16,000 Syrians are joining the invasion of Ukraine is x3 extraordinary: as an admission of Russian military inadequacy; as a repudiation of Putin's claimed Russo-Ukrainian identity; as military idiocy: the Syrians only know how to fight disarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/eluttwak/status/1502296906873069574?s=21

Those Syrians are the new canon fodder. They're going to get massacred by Ukrainian forces.

This is becoming more and more depressing by the day. Not only has Putin sent tens of thousands of conscripts to die, now he's sending a bunch of Syrians to die.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 873
    Chameleon said:

I think I've found Foxy's troops retreating on foot. Down a straight main road while taking fire... If this is the standard of their troops then wow.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Surely Foxy is better at infantry tactics than that!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,935
    Applicant said:
    He does seem rather "inspired" by the Dilbert character....
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,640
    edited March 2022
    Just listening to the Russian response at the UN where they allege that Ukraine in conjunction with the United States have been producing biological weapons in Ukraine and have documentary evidence

At this point I switched him off for my own sanity but Boris's warning last night and todays by the US that Russia are using a false flag operation seems abundantly true and to be frank is very scary

I listened to the President of the EU Commission, Macron and UVDL earlier this pm and they spoke lots of words but Macron insisted the EU was not at war with Russia, while in the next breath UVDL referred to this war with Russia. They said that they have increasing sanctions in the pipeline and even harder ones if necessary

The obvious question followed from a journalist

'Just how many children, hospitals and civilians have to be slaughtered before you act'

It seems President Zelenskyy has again attacked the EU on their words and lack of action

At what point is enough is enough called
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,316
    Ukraine says the Belarusian military is set to cross the border at 9 p.m. Kyiv time today.
    The Western branch of Ukraine’s Armed Forces urges all Belarusians to defy unlawful orders and stay away from Lukashenko’s stupid stunt.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502313503008464897
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,114
    edited March 2022

Just listening to the Russian response at the UN where they allege that Ukraine in conjunction with the United States have been producing biological weapons in Ukraine and have documentary evidence

At this point I switched him off for my own sanity but Boris's warning last night and todays by the US that Russia are using a false flag operation seems abundantly true and to be frank is very scary

I listened to the President of the EU Commission, Macron and UVDL earlier this pm and they spoke lots of words but Macron insisted the EU was not at war with Russia, while in the next breath UVDK refereed to this war with Russia. They said that they have increasing sanctions in the pipeline and even harder ones if necessary

'Just how many children, hospitals and civilians have to be slaughtered before you act'

It seems President Zelenskyy has again attacked the EU on their words and lack of action

Should have known the EU was to blame, but I had to read all the way through.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,490
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

V exciting, who's gonna win? The Ukies or the doggies on this thread?

Some of the Russian actions are so farcical, were they not also so deadly, they'd be worthy of a breathless dog show-type commentary.
    Ealing comedies could be revived with a Russian military theme.
    Or just show the footage real time with Benny Hill's Yakety Sax theme....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,364

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Some of the Russian actions are so farcical, were they not also so deadly, they'd be worthy of a breathless dog show-type commentary.
    Oi! Stop stealing my ideas without attribution!
  • Just listening to the Russian response at the UN where they allege that Ukraine in conjunction with the United States have been producing biological weapons in Ukraine and have documentary evidence

I listened to the President of the EU Commission, Macron and UVDL earlier this pm and they spoke lots of words but Macron insisted the EU was not at war with Russia, while in the next breath UVDK refereed to this war with Russia. They said that they have increasing sanctions in the pipeline and even harder ones if necessary

Recounting the views of Ukrainians upsets you when in truth it is a question for the whole western alliance
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chameleon said:

I think I've found Foxy's troops retreating on foot. Down a straight main road while taking fire... If this is the standard of their troops then wow.

My campaigning days are behind me, but I think this site overestimates the ease of travelling off road either in wheeled or tracked vehicles or on foot. Muddy season or not if you want to get from a to b before next Christmas you do it by road because of the sheer amount of stuff in the way anywhere else.
    edited March 2022

Recounting the views of Ukrainians upsets you when in truth it is a question for the whole western alliance
    It doesn’t upset me at all.
    It amuses me though that your posts are often so predictable.

As for the question, I am resolutely against no fly zones.

I am pro ceasing energy imports, pro arming the Ukrainians, and pro fomenting discontent in Belarus, Syria and even the Kuriles to pile pressure on Russia.

I also want to brain drain Russia into oblivion, the benefit of the UK economy.
  • Just listening to the Russian response at the UN where they allege that Ukraine in conjunction with the United States have been producing biological weapons in Ukraine and have documentary evidence

I am sorry if this amuses you

It does not amuse me one bit and is very scary
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,144
    MISTY said:

I'm not as virulently opposed to Donald Trump as many on here, but I had to smile at his latest comments on Ukraine.

'the trouble with Putin is that he's got a very big ego....'

LOL the ultimate political pot/kettle, surely.

Did Trump start any foreign wars?
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,947

South Korean election graphics are insane.

https://twitter.com/TheAPJournalist/status/1501588231715901440

Click to see the whole thread...

In a week of depressing news, that has made me smile for the first time...
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,650
    Leon said:

A fun thought for a Friday afternoon....

Putin is 'planning a man-made catastrophe' at Chernobyl: Ukrainian intelligence claims Russia will fake a terror attack at nuclear plant and try to blackmail the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10602703/Putin-planning-man-catastrophe-Chernobyl-Ukrainian-intelligence-claims.html

I've really enjoyed 2022 so far, but, TBH, I wouldn't mind a Slow News Day now

Just one. Just one single day when the entire world isn't threatened, in multiple forms, by outright catastrophe
    I wonder if Sir Keir could pull off a win just by promising 5 years of dull battleship-grey tedium?

A compelling alternative to a nation worn out by Brexit, plague, warfare and the Borisovian high-wire act.

PB would vote for that, no?

And then everyone could concentrate on examining the entrails of council by-election results without pesky distractions.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

My campaigning days are behind me, but I think this site overestimates the ease of travelling off road either in wheeled or tracked vehicles or on foot. Muddy season or not if you want to get from a to b before next Christmas you do it by road because of the sheer amount of stuff in the way anywhere else.
    How many roads must a man walk down?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,221
    MaxPB said:

If true, the news that 16,000 Syrians are joining the invasion of Ukraine is x3 extraordinary: as an admission of Russian military inadequacy; as a repudiation of Putin's claimed Russo-Ukrainian identity; as military idiocy: the Syrians only know how to fight disarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/eluttwak/status/1502296906873069574?s=21

Those Syrians are the new canon fodder. They're going to get massacred by Ukrainian forces.

This is becoming more and more depressing by the day. Not only has Putin sent tens of thousands of conscripts to die, now he's sending a bunch of Syrians to die.
    Obvious thought to me was that the Syrians would be used to brutalize Ukrainian civilians in areas under Russian control.

Some Russian soldiers will have qualms about firing into crowds of Ukrainian civilians in Kherson. I'm guessing the Syrians, less so. That also frees up the Russian soldiers for the front line.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

How many roads must a man walk down?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Scott_xP said:

Ukraine says the Belarusian military is set to cross the border at 9 p.m. Kyiv time today.
    The Western branch of Ukraine’s Armed Forces urges all Belarusians to defy unlawful orders and stay away from Lukashenko’s stupid stunt.

Well they may meet some Belarusians already fighting in Ukraine, but alongside the Ukrainians and ageist the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOKyd6EnZZU

As for the question, I am resolutely against no fly zones.

I am pro ceasing energy imports, pro arming the Ukrainians, and pro fomenting discontent in Belarus, Syria and even the Kuriles to pile pressure on Russia.

I also want to brain drain Russia into oblivion, the benefit of the UK economy.
    The salient point is that UVDL said they have harder sanctions available and the journalist asked if not now then when ?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,123
    Is this a war or a James Bond film where some mad lunatic who wants total world domination has to be stopped from blowing up a nuclear power station?

Leon said:

Putin is 'planning a man-made catastrophe' at Chernobyl: Ukrainian intelligence claims Russia will fake a terror attack at nuclear plant and try to blackmail the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10602703/Putin-planning-man-catastrophe-Chernobyl-Ukrainian-intelligence-claims.html

Just one. Just one single day when the entire world isn't threatened, in multiple forms, by outright catastrophe
    I wonder if Sir Keir could pull off a win just by promising 5 years of dull battleship-grey tedium?

A compelling alternative to a nation worn out by Brexit, plague, warfare and the Borisovian high-wire act.

And then everyone could concentrate on examining the entrails of council by-election results without pesky distractions.
    If you haven't understood that we concentrate on examining the entrails of council by-elections because, excitingly, it informs us of the imminent change of Government - then you really haven't understood this place!
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,363

Leon said:

No one ever tires of hilarious Johnsonian zipwire with flegs action.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    edited March 2022
    https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1502325395961651201
    "NEW: Ukraine's fixed-wing aircraft fleet remains 80 percent intact 15 days after Russian invasion: senior U.S. defense official.
    Ukraine only flying 56 fighter jets 5-10 hours per day given Russian surface-to-air missile coverage over the country."

I'm honestly lost for words. How were the Russian first strikes this rubbish?

Edit: I wonder if, now the jet deal is very definitely off in the eyes of the public, a few repainted jets may be secretly replenishing their force?

Is this a war or a James Bond film where some mad lunatic who wants total world domination has to be stopped from blowing up a nuclear power station?

The SPECTRE of Bond hangs heavy over Putin's actions....
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,947
    Just for one, I'm glad we're not in the EU. Just imagine Johnson prancing and poncing about over what should be done next.
    I suspect the Belorussian forces are as shit, if not more shit, than the Russians and far more likely to mutiny.

The last dictator would be mad to fall in with Putin now.

But there's a lot of madness around.

A James Bond film would have more convincing actors as the villain's henchmen.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,869
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

That whole dispersal off-road thing going well.
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1502311504904863749

"No problem, Ukrainian tractor will be along in a short while. Meanwhile, Moscow is that way...."
    Ukraine as Agincourt?
    Well, they're taking a bow on the international stage.
    It was, I believe, Welsh archers in Henry's army who made the difference.
    I thought it was the mud. French men-at-arms in full body armour crushed closer and closer together as they advanced down the tapering boggy field, and then run over by their own cavalry.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2017/01/20/miracle-in-the-mud-the-hundred-years-wars-battle-of-agincourt/
    What *Really* Happened at Agincourt....

The Flower of French Chivalry had formed up in immaculate order across the
    field, magnificent in their finest, glittering imported armour, resplendent
    in highly coloured livery and equipped with other rather camp accessories so
    often favoured by the French.
    "Pah! Assey 'y vous 'zis peetiful band of English ros'boef jesteurs! Zey
    sink zey are a match for uz?" lisped the Dauphin, impatient to start
    slaughtering as soon as possible.
    "Hmmm - I 'av 'erd zat leetle island does produce mighty warrieurs
    zometames?" said the Herald diplomatically.
    "Orsefezzers and panzeur peedle - az zey sey over zere een zere feelthy
    countray!" snapped the Constable of France. "We shall 'ave feenished zem off
    before eet eze even tame for elevnensees - ah am only concerned zat zere are
    not enough of ze batards for uz all to get a propere beet of carnage een!"

The Herald bit his lip and moved to the rear. He'd been down to the English
    camp and had a look round. They were a scruffy bunch, that was true, but he
    wasn't so sure the confidence of his commanders was fully justified. But
    then he was only wearing a rather lightweight bumfreezer jacket instead of
    plate armour, and was consequently more wary of the power of the English
    longbow....

At the other end of the field, confidence was in somewhat shorter
    supply.....
    "I've humped this bloody stick for bleeding miles!" moaned Bill, a sturdy
    archer with skeletal deformities, "what am I supposed to do with the ****ing
    thing now?"
    The usual cheery obedience of the English infantry was obviously wearing
    rather thin, and Sergeant Brigand realised this was a critical moment. He
    thought about it for a second, then smashed Bill round the head with his
    rusty, second-hand gauntlet pillaged by his father at Crecy.
    "Shaddap! Just set 'em up and do as yer ****ing told!" he snarled. "And
    sharpen the ****ing end properly, ye lazy ****! That goes for the rest of ye
    too!" Sure enough, Bill and the others got to work, grumbling quietly, but
    not within earshot of the Sergeant or any of the noblemen who wandered
    anxiously up and down the line.
    "I wish I'd never come, I really do!" groaned John the Thatcher. "I'd just
    be rolling out of bed with Big Nell the Milkmaid right now...."
    "I know what you mean! The bloody catering's been a ****ing disgrace. I've
    had the Katmandu Quickstep all the way from ****ing Harfleur! It's worse
    than the bleedin' Glastonbury festival!" moaned Tom Carpenter, hewing away
    at the end of his stake as he eyed the glittering French array with concern.
    "It's all right for them - ****ing snails and froglegs for breakfast no
    doubt, washed down wi' fancy wine an' stuff! Soft toilet paper - wet wipes -
    the works! What chance 'ave we ****ing got I ask ye?" John winced and
    clutched his stomach.
    "****ing 'ell! I've got to go again! If the battle starts before I'm back,
    sharpen me stake for me will ye?" he shouted, racing into the bushes at the
    end of Tramcourt Wood.

Part 2 to follow
  • Is this a war or a James Bond film where some mad lunatic who wants total world domination has to be stopped from blowing up a nuclear power station?

Unfortunately this is a very real situation the likes of which a few short weeks ago seemed to be from a Bond movie
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,589

Leon said:

I’m in. “We promise no substantive change of any form. You will hear nothing from parliament for the full 5 years and you can plan on the assumption of My first Budget plus inflation”.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,485

Has VVP been seen stroking a fluffy white cat?

• Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,956
    Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official

Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward.

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302509905416193?s=20&t=SaV0KMM3zk4a2qQS0w3CFQ

I remember playing Stratego as a kid, you didn't want to go losing your General...

A bit of a rush job...

I am the very model of a Russian Major-General
    No information reaches me if we have support aerial
    I know the Tsars and Commissars, but that won't help the forces Z
    And very soon, I know I'll be, like many other comrades, dead
    Perhaps "supportIVE aerial", to keep the rhythm?

Otherwise, superb job. Especially the last line and that final comma

Bravo
    Eh? You’re introducing a new syllable.
    It was very good first go.
    The scansion's a bit off though, it puts the stress on the wrong syllable of "support". It could be "if we're supported aerially", if you elide the last word a little, but then you get too far away from the rhyme. But I wanted to keep some link to the first verse of the original in the first three lines.

(Edit: and thanks :))
    How about adding "still" before "have"?

No information reaches me if we still have support aerial
    What *Really* Happened at Agincourt.... Part Two

"Chuffin 'eck!" cried Richard the Northener, "Me as well...." as he raced to
    the rear, clutching his nethers in a most undignified manner.

King Henry looked anxious as he surveyed the position uneasily.
    "Hells bells and buckets of blood - there's an awful of them your Grace!?"
    said York uneasily.
    "Mmmm... never mind, I said a prayer. We'll be fine...." Henry replied
    coolly.
    "Ah, if only a few of the men that do no work today were here with us now,
    well, er, you know what I mean my liege?" said Westmorland anxiously.
    "Nonsense!" snapped the King. " Who says so? Half our chaps are in the
    bushes relieving themselves, that's all. Don't worry about it - chill out
    will ye?" Westmorland looked unconvinced. If only Imodium had been available
    in the 15th century he thought.... or even Kaolin and Morphine.....

Meanwhile, the French, lusty and over-confident as usual in their pathetic,
    sneering, continental, arrogant, smug self-assurance, were champing at the
    bit and raring to go, the fools.
    At long last all was in order, and they slammed down their visors and
    charged toward the thinly manned English line.....
    The Herald, au fait with Crecy, Poitiers and numerous other battles, watched
    them racing in the direction of St. Ayn Desasterre and shook his head. There
    'd be tears before bedtime...

Back at the English position, the mighty thunder of hooves and the clank of
    armour had a dramatic effect.
    "Sound the alarum! All hands man your battle stations!" shouted the King,
    and thousands of groaning men emerged from the bushes discarding their hose
    in the rush, and took up positions without even washing their hands. Stomach
    cramps notwithstanding, they bravely stood fast and clenched their
    magnificent well muscled buttocks, as the huge wave of heavy cavalry
    approached at full pelt, and the thunder of hooves shook the ground. Certain
    they were about to be smashed into the mud at any second, they nevertheless
    coolly prepared to face the end as English hooligans have in the face of
    cavalry charges on foreign soil ever since, and brandished their
    weapons.....

King Henry was hastily signing a note of surrender and agreements of safe
    passage to Calais when suddenly the thundering stopped. He looked up in
    astonishment to see that the French had halted dead in their tracks, some
    fifty yards short of the English line. What was this? Had his prayers been
    answered? He hastily hid the shameful documents in his sleeve and decided
    what to do... only one thing for it. Send in the lads!
    What *Really* Happened at Agincourt.... Part Three

The first wave of French cavalry were in complete disarray, and cries of
    "Zoot Alors!", "Sacre Blue!", "Mon Dieu", "Au Secours" and other expressions
    called out by weedy Frenchmen in distress filled the air.
    "Phworr! What ees zis - le batards are abusing ze chemeecal warfare! Eet ees
    against all ze rules of chivalrey!" wailed the Dauphin, holding a lavender
    scented handkerchief to his enormous nose.
    "Mah Liege - wee must weethdraw immediately, or all ees lost! Zis stench ees
    from 'ell eetself - what 'ave zey been eating for ****'s sake?" cried the
    Constable in utter horror. Even Sir Angus McDevastator, in charge of the
    Scottish contingent, was gagging and retching as he spluttered to his second
    in command.
    "Ye've got tae give 'em credit laddie - even Scotch lavvies are nae as bad
    as that!" But even as he began to solemnly salute the grim faced Englishmen
    ahead, the second wave of cavalry charged into the back of them, tipping
    everyone into the mud....

Ten minutes later.....

"Well, I'd never have thought it, but it hasn't turned out to be such a bad
    day after all?" said Bill brightly, ramming his bloodstained dagger through
    the visor of a fallen Frenchman, producing a ghastly, gurgling scream.
    "Nor me. Mind you, this is hard work - when do we get a break?" muttered
    John, drowning one man in the mud by standing on the back of his neck as he
    whacked another repeatedly on the head with a lead maul.
    "Huh! These are made for camping - time we got proper hammers! Five hits and
    he's still moaning..." he grumbled.
    "Stop whining you idle layabouts, and get to bloody work!" growled Sergeant
    Brigand, as he broke the neck of a wounded Frenchman floundering in the mud
    with well practised ease.
    "There's an hour and a half 'till lunch, and I don't want to see any
    slacking! Then later on you can strip your sleeves, fib about your scars and
    impress the neighbours... well, that's what the King said anyway. Until
    then, ****ing pull your fingers out and look lively!"
    "Huh... work, work work..." muttered Bill as he departed, slicing the purse
    away from the Frenchman's neck and stuffing it into his quilted gambeston.
    "I tell you what, in a couple of hundred years there'll be a civil war, and
    his lot'll be first up against the wall..."
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Lack of detail. 2/10 Very poor. See me.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    BigRich said:

Scott_xP said:

Well they may meet some Belarusians already fighting in Ukraine, but alongside the Ukrainians and ageist the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOKyd6EnZZU
    Lushenko needs to be wary of sending too many of his henchmen into Ukraine. Which probably means that it will be Belarusian conscripts. Ripe for a real mutiny.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,363

Just for one, I'm glad we're not in the EU. Just imagine Johnson prancing and poncing about over what should be done next.

With what appears on PB to be an imminent defeat for Putin at Johnson's Churchillian bare hands, and with no help from the EU, Starmer looks as far from office as ever. Gawd bless yer brave Sir Boris.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,144
    "Russian fighter jets fire at ally Belarus in 'false flag attack'"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/11/ukraine-news-war-russia-sanctions-putin-kyiv-latest/
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,634
    geoffw said:

Not since he traded in his battle axe first Mrs for the gymnast.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,322
    edited March 2022

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official

Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward.

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302509905416193?s=20&t=SaV0KMM3zk4a2qQS0w3CFQ

I remember playing Stratego as a kid, you didn't want to go losing your General...

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo
    The scansion's a bit off though, it puts the stress on the wrong syllable of "support". It could be "if we're supported aerially", if you elide the last word a little, but then you get too far away from the rhyme. But I wanted to keep some link to the first verse of the original in the first three lines.

Too many syllables then.

...No information reaches me about our cover aerial...
    Edinburgh councillors considering proposal to grant freedom of the city jointly to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and mayor of Kyiv Vitali Klitschko. https://news.stv.tv/east-central/move-to-grant-freedom-of-edinburgh-to-ukraine-president-voldymyr-zelensky-and-vitali-klitschko

I suspect the Belorussian forces are as shit, if not more shit, than the Russians and far more likely to mutiny.

The last dictator would be mad to fall in with Putin now.

But there's a lot of madness around.

I suspect that Belaruse like most dictatorships will have some good, elite even troops, but very small in number, and a large conscript army. and maybe some in-between.

Who will he send? if its the conscripts, they want help much, and if deffetted will make him look week and stupid. if its the elite units, then that brave, he may need them at home if the worst happens, and if they take big losses, then he might lose the loyalty of them.

So whats it to be?
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,964
    Andy_JS said:

MISTY said:

I'm not as virulently opposed to Donald Trump as many on here, but I had to smile at his latest comments on Ukraine.

He´d already surrendered to Putin
    EU's fourth sanctions package is coming - it includes a ban on luxury exports, import of key goods in the iron and steel sector, and a ban on new investments in Russia’s energy sector https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1502323191527657483
    ydoethur said:

A James Bond film would have more convincing actors as the villain's henchmen.
    All such films are saved by the villain and his henchmen from being a snoozefest.

Sadly Putin is a bore and his henchmen can't hence.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,836
    Off topic: "Royal Scot" double heading with a GWR tank engine. What nonsense is this?

Follow it live on the KWVR webcams...

https://kwvr.co.uk/webcams/

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo

The problem is that the song is iambic so a weak syllable would have to come between support (which ends with a stressed syllable) and aerial (which starts with one).

Maybe "no information reaches me if we've support that's aerial".
    Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Do anabolic steroids not turn the hair white?

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo

Too many syllables then.

...No information reaches me about our cover aerial...
    Oh, that's good, yeah. I like it.
    Andy_JS said:
    "Ally" is an interesting choice of words here...
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

The cry of the unconvincing plagiarist through the ages.

'No Hamlet doesn't fucking belong to Thomas Kyd. His only lasts for two and a half hours, mine runs for four because of all the extras.'
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Didn't David Owen think that VVP is taking anabolic steroids? Perhaps his partner's.

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Didn't David Owen think that VVP is taking anabolic steroids? Perhaps his partner's.

Well his partner in common with pretty much all Russian athletes is a junkie, so it seems possible.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

'No Hamlet doesn't fucking belong to Thomas Kyd. His only lasts for two and a half hours, mine runs for four because of all the extras.'
    Ur - Hamlet?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Ur - Hamlet?
    No, I'm Y Doethur, but Ophelia symapthy.
    Putin places head of the FSB's foreign intelligence under house arrest https://trib.al/DfeWEER
    Raining in Antigua. Really looks like only two likely results - an England collapse or a draw.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,193
    Chameleon said:

"NEW: Ukraine's fixed-wing aircraft fleet remains 80 percent intact 15 days after Russian invasion: senior U.S. defense official.
    Ukraine only flying 56 fighter jets 5-10 hours per day given Russian surface-to-air missile coverage over the country."

Edit: I wonder if, now the jet deal is very definitely off in the eyes of the public, a few repainted jets may be secretly replenishing their force?

Those jets are perfectly capable of taking off from straight bits of road in the arse end of no-where. Even if Ukraine didn’t fully believe US/UK warnings of an imminent invasion, it seems plausible that they might have spread their functional jets all over Ukraine, hiding one or two, plus fuel & other supplies in shed & farm buildings.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,628
    IanB2 said:

Erin disaqualifed. As is Millie.

A tough course. No clear round as yet.

10 faults for Laura, one to go . And another elimination!

The winner has five faults, second but the rest are all eliminated. Carnage in the medium category!

Erin, Millie, Laura - is this the South Oxfordshire Pony Club?
    Scott_xP said:

EU's fourth sanctions package is coming - it includes a ban on luxury exports, import of key goods in the iron and steel sector, and a ban on new investments in Russia’s energy sector https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1502323191527657483

@Big_G_NorthWales please explain.
    Scott_xP said:

Putin places head of the FSB's foreign intelligence under house arrest https://trib.al/DfeWEER

He's behaving like a stroppy Year 9 blaming everyone but himself for his mistakes.

Actually, that's a bit unfair to Year 9s.
  • Scott_xP said:

Is coming
    edited March 2022
    Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:
    I believe it is an issue of translation from the Russian. In Russian, ally means lackey ...
  • x

Scott_xP said:

You need someone to explain to you that the Italians can't sell handbags, but the EU is still giving an evil war criminal a billion dollars every single day?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,628
    Phil said:

Chameleon said:

Those jets are perfectly capable of taking off from straight bits of road in the arse end of no-where. Even if Ukraine didn’t fully believe US/UK warnings of an imminent invasion, it seems plausible that they might have spread their functional jets all over Ukraine, hiding one or two, plus fuel & other supplies in shed & farm buildings.
    I think that was the norm in Warsaw Pact E. Europe, was it not?

Disperse them under motorway bridges, and the like?

Also what the Finns do, I think.
    Scott_xP said:

So the guy lied to him because everyone has to tell Putin what he wants to hear.

I guess others in the near-inner circle must now be weighing up whether better to get rid of him now or just wait to be up on the stand at the inevitable show trials.

Time to act gentlemen, time to act and end this lunatic.
    Scott_xP said:

This bit is very believable:

Embezzlement of funds allocated for subversive and undercover work in Ukraine, as well as false information, is said to be the reason for the arrests

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

It's also reasonable to take precautionary measures against worst case scenarios even if you think them highly unlikely...

Scott_xP said:

So the guy lied to him because everyone has to tell Putin what he wants to hear.

I guess others in the near-inner circle must now be weighing up whether better to get rid of him now or just wait to be up on the stand at the inevitable show trials.

I think we were saying the same to Tory MPs way back in... January.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,729
    Scott_xP said:

He is definitely playing Mussolini to Putin's Hitler. Hope they both end the same way.

TimT said:

Applicant said:

Andy_JS said:
    I believe it is an issue of translation from the Russian. In Russian, ally means lackey ...
    I learned from Alexander Gerschenkron that there's no word in Russian for 'opportunity'. So the clandestine Russian translation of Paul Samuelson's Economics textbook had to invent an expression for 'opportunity cost', a basic concept in economics. They came up with "the cost of foregone possibilities" which Gershenkron found somewhat poetic.

TimT said:

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

It's also reasonable to take precautionary measures against worst case scenarios even if you think them highly unlikely...
    The old Soviet bases used to have lots of hardened hangers (above ground bunkers) - of the kind that went out of fashion when the Americans PGM'd them in Iraq in 1991.

Given that the Russians haven't being using PGMs much.... maybe...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

MISTY said:

He massively increased drone strikes. Whilst simultaneously removing a rule that required statistics of civilian casualties had to be published.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,428
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

BAC and the Raff tried it back in the 70s:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/vintage-footage-shows-jaguar-attack-aircraft-undertaking-motorway-trials/

The potential problem with that is what happens to the military convoys wanting to go along the same roads? Need to have your Redcaps and Loggies very well organised.
    UK cases by specimen date

UK R

edited March 2022
    MattW said:

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

They do. There's a section of road not far from our summer cottage that is unaccountably straight and wide - for exactly that purpose explained my b-i-l.

Case summary

Scott_xP said:

We must be past the tipping point on western sanctions where every firm’s compliance/legal Department will be saying “it’s too complicated to do anything other than do no business with or through Russia or Russians”.
    Hospitals

Deaths

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

He is definitely playing Mussolini to Putin's Hitler. Hope they both end the same way.

Are the trains in Belarus generally on time then?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,137

Scott_xP said:

The odd thing surely is that the ban on luxury exports for example is only just happening. That may explain why Zelensky is annoyed that in some areas the EU remians behind the curve. No doubt the UK has its own failings but all this tit for tat carping is music to Putin's ears. There are plenty of 'useful idiots' on here still foaming at the mouth over Brexit/Boris - none of which is relevant in the bigger picture right now. And I speak as a Remain voter who'd prefer a new Tory leader to fight the next GE.
    Age related data

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    Scathing attack from Zelenskyy's office on Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/senior-ukrainian-official-bennett-pushed-zelensky-to-surrender-to-putin-report/

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett on Tuesday pushed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to accept an offer from Russian President Vladimir Putin, which would require Kyiv to make significant concessions in order to end Moscow’s invasion. “If I were you, I would think about the lives of my people and take the offer,” Bennett told Zelensky during a phone call on Tuesday, according to a senior Ukrainian official who spoke to Walla and Haaretz on condition of anonymity. Zelensky did not take well to the proposal, responding with a brief “I hear you.”

“Bennett has proposed that we surrender,” the senior Ukrainian official tells the Hebrew news sites. “We have no intention of doing so. We know that Putin’s proposal is just the beginning.” The report says that Israel has also asked that Ukraine cease its requests for Israeli military or defense assistance, as this could hinder Jerusalem’s efforts to mediate and maintain neutrality

Thus far, Zelensky has been unimpressed with Bennett’s mediation efforts, saying the Israeli premier has sufficed with being a “mailbox” that passes along messages between Russia to Ukraine without coming up with any proposals of his own, the senior official says.

“We do not need a mailbox. We have enough of these,” the senior Ukrainian official says. “President Zelensky’s office does not believe this is the way to mediate. If Bennett wants to be neutral and mediate, we would like to see him appoint someone who will deal with the matter day and night to try and reach a compromise.” Zelensky is under the impression that Bennett has taken up the role of mediator as part of his effort to avoid picking sides in a war because of the risk of damaging Israel’s ties with Russia, the official claims. This has led to significant frustration and even personal offense on the part of Zelensky with the Israeli government, according to the senior official.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,785
    Stereodog said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

A bit of a rush job...

Bravo

The scansion is less important, I think, in a Gilbert & Sullivan pastiche.

You could replace it with,
    If we’ve supportive aerial

But I actually still prefer the original, because the “support aerial” is a nice grammatical echo of “major general”.
    Yeah, I agree. Also, the internal rhyme in line 3 isn't authentic but it was just too good to change.
    I'm very well acquainted too with warfare asymmetrical,
    I give every city a present pyrotechnical,
    About our glorious victory I'm teeming with a lot of news,
    Despite the men and tanks we frequently seem to lose
    Again, I can't help feeling the pain of whichever bot's job it is to be coming on here to make sure the west is properly afraid of Russian imperial might.
  • Is Deutsche Bank somehow exempt from the sanctions?
    geoffw said:

MattW said:

Phil said:

Chameleon said:

They do. There's a section of road near not far from our summer cottage that is unaccountably straight and wide - for exactly that purpose explained my b-i-l.

Based on those numbers, if the Poland deal ever comes off the the Ukrainian airforce will have…. increased.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,687

It seems to be more important on here that we win the war against the EU than what happens to Ukraine. If there are bets to be had I'd put my money on Macron being at the centre of finding a solution. He is at least in non stop communication with Putin. The news here is much more on how to reach a solution than on how many tanks each side is losing.
  • Roger said:

It seems to be more important on here that we win the war against the EU than what happens to Ukraine. If there are bets to be had I'd put my money on Macron being at the centre of finding a solution. He is at least in non stop communication with Putin. The news here is much more on how to reach a solution than on how many tanks each side is losing.
    Macron will make things worse. Roger has spoken.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,101
    No addition of Sberbank to the SWIFT block then. Germany still blocking it I guess.
    COVID summary

- Cases up. R is showing signs of stopping rising, though
    - In Hospital up.
    - MV beds flat.
    - Admissions are up, but again, R has stoped rising.
    - Deaths are showing more and more signs of plateauing at a bit below 100 per day.

COVID summary

- Cases up. R is showing signs of stopping rising, though
    - In Hospital up.
    - MV beds flat.
    - Admissions are up, but again, R has stoped rising.
    - Deaths are showing more and more signs of plateauing at a bit below 100 per day.

To be fair, Putin did deliver a monologue in which he outlined his evil plan. That has to have scored?

Scott_xP said:

Wonder how popular the FSB guy is with his people? Putin better hope "not very"...

Is Deutsche Bank somehow exempt from the sanctions?

Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

Sorry. Douche Bank is connected to pretty much *every* politician in Germany.

Their exposure to Russia is inline with their exposure to Donald Fucking Trump - somewhere between calamitous and hilarious.

In the words of Harry Wales - "What Douche Bank wants, Douche Bank gets!"
    MaxPB said:

No addition of Sberbank to the SWIFT block then. Germany still blocking it I guess.

If that went, then countries wanting to pay for gas would have to send physical money to Russia.

Imagine the optics of a 4pm flight each day with metric tons of banknotes on forklift pallets....
This discussion has been closed.