Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember Starmer can be next PM even if CON wins most seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,495
    edited March 2022
    Now the mediums.

A great first run by Zebedee.

Maggie goes into second.

Now Ashleigh with Butler - clear but slow, goes into third.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,958
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

Panic buying in Shanghai. Could get messy

Panic Buying dew to Covid/lockdown fears or war/global food shortages fears,

Or both?
    Covid & lockdown. Because Omicron BA2

See Hong Kong for the possible short term future of China

One problem is their reliance on Sinovac (used a lot in HK) which, it turns out, offers almost no protection at all against omicron. So if you’ve just had two sinovac shots then you’re essentially unvaccinated.

One fascinating (if morbid) comparisons at the moment is to look at New Zeeland compared to Hong Kong, for both this is there first big wave. and are recording similar numbers of COVID cases, (slightly more in HK than NZ but HK doing a bit more testing) and both are vaccinated to a high degree a bit more in NZ but not a lot 1.85 Doses per person against 2.11 but over the last week the death rate in HK is roughly 50 times that of NZ 5 per million v 235
    The age distribution plus vaccines used make for the main difference.
    It's hard to overemphasise just how bad the age distribution of vaccination is for Hong Kong:

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,268
    edited March 2022
    Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Of course, new thread, just as I post a longer post. FPT

TimT Posts: 5,396
    8:34AM edited 8:36AM

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes
    5. There is no clear relationship between levels of excess mortality and different levels of restrictions/ NPIs across Western Europe or indeed the whole of Europe.

Months and months of lockdown shown to be pointless.

But in a complex adaptive system, you can't even reach that conclusion.

Two states in exactly the same starting position (as near as can be measured) implementing the exact same measures (as near as can be measured) will have different - potentially vastly different - outcomes. That does not mean to say that the measures themselves were useless, just that the sensitivity to initial conditions has a greater impact on outcomes than the measures.

Take two wooded areas of the same size and climatic conditions, and the same amount of fuel in the system. We know that for each system, removing dead undergrowth reduces the prospect of a massive wildfire resulting from a lightning strike. But, if we remove the dead wood and scrub from one wood and not the other, we still cannot predict which of the two will produce a wildfire if both are struck with lightning. If the untended wood has no fire and the tended wood does, it still does not mean that the measures taken to remove fuel from the tended wood were wrong or useless.

Good points. I'm sure some NPIs did work, lockdown really ought to because if you don't mix with people you can't spread the virus, but a lot of the minor NPIs really do look dubious, particularly if you are dealing with an airborne virus. Disentangling what worked from what didn't, and figuring out how effective the good measures were and why that was, will be a very important part of learning how to deal with the next pandemic.
    It seems to me as if the case for NPIs rested on an unspoken assumption that the graph of transmission vs mobility reduction looked something like this:

But in reality it seems to have been more like this - and the first inflection point was reached by voluntary action, and the second inflection point wasn't achievable in a democratic Western society:

I think e.g. the first UK lockdown probably had quite a difference compared to voluntary measures (your y axis being R?). But yes, some of the individual measures would have little effect and there's a limit to what you can do in e.g. the UK anyway.

But there are other factors too if we're looking at excess deaths. Take, voluntarily or otherwise, action to reduce R to exactly 1 when you have ten cases in the country and your excess deaths under the same conditions at time t will be much lower than if the same action was taken when there were 100k cases in the country. That, of course, further complicates comparisons of restrictions and excess deaths. Less, earlier, could give a better outcome than more, later.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,855
    Leon said:

China exercising its normal light touch when it comes to lockdowns

"Changchun city, 9 millions residents.
    It is in lockdown now.
    https://twitter.com/AP/status/1502219611265466374?t=eumEqYl8KvFosGCtoXJU3A&s=19

Chinese authority sent all 6556 students of a university off to Covid quarantine camps yesterday.

Totally more than 20 000 people were bussed away to quarantine camps yesterday."

https://twitter.com/songpinganq/status/1502285200398553090?s=20&t=RCQN0IBjXut1uF23e4HjVQ

*Startled expression*

They'll run out of space in the quarantine camps pretty quickly, at this rate.

Whole country in lockdown by St. Patrick's Day at this rate.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,691

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/11/ukraine-military-drone-crashes-into-croatian-capital-zagreb

Armed attack on NATO country by Ukraine on the face of it.

Sorry guys but rules are rules

Not a great ad for Turkish drones.

Where's this war's exocet?
    It's called the NLAW, and it's British

You're welcome, Rog

"A Ukrainian fighter - standing next to a destroyed Russian tank - tells CBS news how effective the British supplied NLAW ATGM has been in Ukraine and asks for more.🔥

🇬🇧🤝🇺🇦"

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1501504691053678595?s=20&t=4raASY-YTtbrxWsovUT4kw
    Well British made (final assembly in Northern Ireland), but collaboration between the Swedes, the French and the British.
    UK made. NI ...
    Actually British made i.e. all the major components, missile etc are made in Britain. Mostly, Plymouth, Glenrothes, Basingstoke, but also Coventry, Gateshead, Bristol and Birmingham. Just final assembly is in Belfast, NI.
    How was France involved? I'm interested.

Multinational collaboration in missiles works well in Europe, but aiui the NLAW was an MOD project delivered by Saab and Thales UK.

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/11/ukraine-military-drone-crashes-into-croatian-capital-zagreb

I don't believe that even the Grauniad would report that.

Can someone explain how a drone that cannot carry weapons can launch an armed attack?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-141
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,594
    edited March 2022
    MISTY said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

You're welcome, Rog

"A Ukrainian fighter - standing next to a destroyed Russian tank - tells CBS news how effective the British supplied NLAW ATGM has been in Ukraine and asks for more.🔥

🇬🇧🤝🇺🇦"

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1501504691053678595?s=20&t=4raASY-YTtbrxWsovUT4kw

For some anti-tank and anti-aircraft manufacturers, Ukraine is all their xmases at once.

The Russians are the perfect test arena. There are loads of them, they aren't that well protected or well hidden and they aren't going anywhere.

Ukraine is also a great shop window as the world has officially designated the targets Bad People. There are few protests over the compelling footage of wreckage and dead, therefore, and these can be widely shared.
    I think if you’ve got an orbat of largely ex-soviet kit and have relied on the Russians for training and upgrades, you might be a little worried if your adversaries have western kit, or links to China. India I am looking at you.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,759
    I can remember when the biggest news in the UK, which shocked the nation for weeks, was the untimely death of Jill Dando

edited March 2022
    Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes
    5. There is no clear relationship between levels of excess mortality and different levels of restrictions/ NPIs across Western Europe or indeed the whole of Europe.

Two states in exactly the same starting position (as near as can be measured) implementing the exact same measures (as near as can be measured) will have different - potentially vastly different - outcomes. That does not mean to say that the measures themselves were useless, just that the sensitivity to initial conditions has a greater impact on outcomes than the measures.

Take two wooded areas of the same size and climatic conditions, and the same amount of fuel in the system. We know that for each system, removing dead undergrowth reduces the prospect of a massive wildfire resulting from a lightning strike. But, if we remove the dead wood and scrub from one wood and not the other, we still cannot predict which of the two will produce a wildfire if both are struck with lightning. If the untended wood has no fire and the tended wood does, it still does not mean that the measures taken to remove fuel from the tended wood were wrong or useless.

Good points. I'm sure some NPIs did work, lockdown really ought to because if you don't mix with people you can't spread the virus, but a lot of the minor NPIs really do look dubious, particularly if you are dealing with an airborne virus. Disentangling what worked from what didn't, and figuring out how effective the good measures were and why that was, will be a very important part of learning how to deal with the next pandemic.
    It seems to me as if the case for NPIs rested on an unspoken assumption that the graph of transmission vs mobility reduction looked something like this:

But in reality it seems to have been more like this - and the first inflection point was reached by voluntary action, and the second inflection point wasn't achievable in a democratic Western society:

I think e.g. the first UK lockdown probably had quite a difference compared to voluntary measures (your y axis being R?). But yes, some of the individual measures would have little effect and there's a limit to what you can do in e.g. the UK anyway.

But there are other factors too if we're looking at excess deaths. Take, voluntarily or otherwise, action to reduce R to exactly 1 when you have ten cases in the country and your excess deaths under the same conditions at time t will be much lower than if the same action was taken when there were 100k cases in the country. That, of course, further complicates comparisons of restrictions and excess deaths. Less, earlier, could give a better outcome than more, later.
    Anyone expecting unbounded linearity in a complex adaptive system is falling down on the job. Non-linearity and discontinuities abound.

Edit: sorry, this was in response to Applicant
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,884

HYUFD said:

I would agree that Starmer could become PM if the Tories win most seats, provided Labour + LD + SNP is more than Tories + DUP and it is a hung parliament.

Johnson would also have to invoke Art 16 to get DUP support again, the DUP the only party who might still support the Tories in a hung parliament

The DUP look set to lose most of their current seats
    Tragic.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

boulay said:

Question for anyone who knows/understands UK bankruptcy/administration law…..

If Chelsea are, as some reports say, a couple of weeks from running out of money, is it actually more in the govt’s interests to let them go into administration and then bankruptcy than to allow a sale before then?

Mainly wondering on the basis that if they go into administration they will have points deducted but not in danger of relegation and so not overly damaging to the club, however if they can ensure that Abramovich gets as little as possible capital value for the club as possible then surely that’s the aim but I’m not sure if the rules about bankruptcy would enable that aim.

Sorry if this question makes no sense!

If they go bankrupt then they're out of the league.
    What would happen in these circumstances?
    1. Receivers appointed.
    2. Bankruptcy.
    3. One hour later, new owners appointed who meet all debts and liabilities apart from loans to Abramovich.
    I wonder how significant that loan from Abramovich is? Did he do it as a loan, rather than simply as a gift, for precisely this scenario?
    If there's receivership and liquidation then the "new owners" would be starting from the Combined Counties League Division One (Step 6/level 10) as it would be a completely new legal entity even if they could buy the IP and history from the liquidators.

If there's administration then, if the £1.5bn is a loan from Abramovich, then he would have a veto on exit from administration, wouldn't he?
    tlg86 said:

That was a truly terrible umpiring decision. Thank God for DRS.

There was an awful one yesterday evening too - gave an LBW where there was a clear inside edge in real time.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,851
    HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

If the numbers allow a more stable Con-led coalition than Lab-led coalition, a Con-led coalition is what we will have. Just like in 2010.

Not post Brexit, the LDs would not support the Tories again unless they align the UK more closely to the SM and CU even if the Tories win most seats in a hung parliament like 2010. The Tories won't do that as it would split the party, boost Farage and RefUK and the ERG would go beserk!
    Why is it, young HY, that you are always so certain and dogmatic about what the Lib Dems will do? I'm not. What will your Conservative Party look like after the next election?

You often remind us on here that he Conservative Party will change its policy at the drop of a hat if that is what it takes to get itself elected to government. Who can say now what policy platform the Conservatives will stand on at the next election?

If, in order to get elected, the Conservatives drop all their current failing policies (and politicians), and adopt Lib Dem policy lock stock and barrel, might that not entice the Lib Dem party to give their support some serious consideration?
    edited March 2022
    And Willow takes it by half a second on the final run!

Nicely set up for this evening’s grand final!
    Eabhal said:

1) Appreciate everyone is very excited by the excess deaths figures. Actuarial/statistical types I know don't think a proper assessment can be made for a few years (particularly of you want to take account of delayed cancer ops, QALY etc).

2) We need better names for our military stuff in the Tiktok wars. NLAW = Frostbolt? Queen Elizabeth = Ark Royal.

Dunno. Every time I see 'NLAW' I mentally read it similarly to 'in-law'. And in-laws are universally* feared and loathed, aren't they? :wink:

*well, I actually like mine very much, but let's ignore that for now
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    biggles said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

You're welcome, Rog

🇬🇧🤝🇺🇦"

For some anti-tank and anti-aircraft manufacturers, Ukraine is all their xmases at once.

The Russians are the perfect test arena. There are loads of them, they aren't that well protected or well hidden and they aren't going anywhere.

Ukraine is also a great shop window as the world has officially designated the targets Bad People. There are few protests over the compelling footage of wreckage and dead, therefore, and these can be widely shared.
    I think if you’ve got an orbat of largely ex-soviet kit and have relied on the Russians for training and upgrades, you might be a little worried if your adversaries have western kit, or links to China. India I am looking at you.
    I think it was PJ O'Rourke who once opined that, if we're going to waste taxpayers' cash, high tech weaponry is the best way to waste it.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,691
    edited March 2022
    Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lordy. More.

It's a post-Soviet drone, not Turkish .... :smile:
  • eekeek Posts: 27,325
    edited March 2022
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

boulay said:

If Chelsea are, as some reports say, a couple of weeks from running out of money, is it actually more in the govt’s interests to let them go into administration and then bankruptcy than to allow a sale before then?

Mainly wondering on the basis that if they go into administration they will have points deducted but not in danger of relegation and so not overly damaging to the club, however if they can ensure that Abramovich gets as little as possible capital value for the club as possible then surely that’s the aim but I’m not sure if the rules about bankruptcy would enable that aim.

1. Receivers appointed.
    2. Bankruptcy.
    3. One hour later, new owners appointed who meet all debts and liabilities apart from loans to Abramovich.
    I wonder how significant that loan from Abramovich is? Did he do it as a loan, rather than simply as a gift, for precisely this scenario?
    If there's receivership and liquidation then the "new owners" would be starting from the Combined Counties League Division One (Step 6/level 10) as it would be a completely new legal entity even if they could buy the IP and history from the liquidators.

If there's administration then, if the £1.5bn is a loan from Abramovich, then he would have a veto on exit from administration, wouldn't he?
    It's almost like the only way to successfully sell Chelsea during this crisis would be via Receivers being appointed as it's the only way to deal with the loan..
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

That was a truly terrible umpiring decision. Thank God for DRS.

There was an awful one yesterday evening too - gave an LBW where there was a clear inside edge in real time.
    The need to use local umpires due to Covid has had, shall we say, an uneven impact in different countries.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Eabhal said:

1) Appreciate everyone is very excited by the excess deaths figures. Actuarial/statistical types I know don't think a proper assessment can be made for a few years (particularly of you want to take account of delayed cancer ops, QALY etc).

2) We need better names for our military stuff in the Tiktok wars. NLAW = Frostbolt? Queen Elizabeth = Ark Royal.

The name 'Bayraktar' is great I'm loving the Bayraktar song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3IbKsNVpw

Perhaps somebody could might create an NLAW Song?
    glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

There are a bunch of analyses disentangling the various NPIs, which should be of great use going forwards. The minor further benefits of the stay-at-home order itself only comes useful when rates are very high and need to be brought down quickly. One big take-home is to apply NPIs early if they're needed at all - to avoid the need to go really hard when you otherwise wouldn't have needed to do so.

It's a difficult area to discuss, because a whole bunch of people are almost religious in one way or the other - they only want to be confirmed in their faith rather than to find out what did work, what didn't work, and why.

My personal list:
    - Banning large gatherings (100+) gets a decent way there (around a 30% reduction in R).
    - Banning medium gatherings (10+) gets another big chunk (boosts that to near 50% reduction)
    - WFH where possible helps a lot (variable)
    - If masks are to be used, get free/cheap FFP3/N95 masks out there
    - Close nonessential businesses if necessary (another 30% reduction)

Head down that list as far as necessary. Closing schools and Universities does help, and a stay-at-home order does help to a degree, but if you've left it late enough to need that, you screwed up. Or it's a really transmissible disease.

It also helps a lot if people are willing to comply without compulsion. When you get a country wittering on about whether Scotch Eggs would exclude them from an NPI, you're gonna need compulsion, unfortunately.
    eek said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

boulay said:

1. Receivers appointed.
    2. Bankruptcy.

It's almost like the only way to successfully sell Chelsea during this crisis would be via Receivers being appointed as it's the only way to deal with the loan..
    It seems to me that all roads lead to the question of what he actually wants to achieve. He could cooperate and make it easy to unwind his ownership and help the club continue, or he could not. Depends what’s more important to him, and I presume his mate Vlad will be “persuading” his oligarch chums to make life tricky for the west where they can, noting that he knows where their families live and how they take their tea.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,981
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I would agree that Starmer could become PM if the Tories win most seats, provided Labour + LD + SNP is more than Tories + DUP and it is a hung parliament.

Johnson would also have to invoke Art 16 to get DUP support again, the DUP the only party who might still support the Tories in a hung parliament

The DUP look set to lose most of their current seats
    Tragic.
    Oscar Wilde re Little Nell applies, surely.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

Chinese authority sent all 6556 students of a university off to Covid quarantine camps yesterday.

Totally more than 20 000 people were bussed away to quarantine camps yesterday."

https://twitter.com/songpinganq/status/1502285200398553090?s=20&t=RCQN0IBjXut1uF23e4HjVQ

*Startled expression*

This is going to be quite the collision.

China's Zero Covid Policy (in which it has invested so much time, money and pride) meets Omicron the Mighty, on BA2 steroids

Can China avoid being one enormous Hong Kong?

Some maths. Hong Kong suffered 281 deaths yesterday, in a population of 7.5 million

China's population is 1.4 billion: 186 times bigger then HK

If China's Omicron crisis gets as bad as HK's, China will see 52,000 deaths a day

That's how bad it could get, potentially (tho of course the voluntary and obligatory lockdowns which would kick in long before then make this highly unlikely).

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,275
    BigRich said:

Eabhal said:

The name 'Bayraktar' is great I'm loving the Bayraktar song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3IbKsNVpw

Perhaps somebody could might create an NLAW Song?
    I fought NLAW and NLAW won.

With apologies to the Clash.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,255
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Dunno. Every time I see 'NLAW' I mentally read it similarly to 'in-law'. And in-laws are universally* feared and loathed, aren't they? :wink:

*well, I actually like mine very much, but let's ignore that for now
    Depends whether they're with you or against you, so it's fairly apt.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

China's Zero Covid Policy (in which it has invested so much time, money and pride) meets Omicron the Mighty, on BA2 steroids

Some maths. Hong Kong suffered 281 deaths yesterday, in a population of 7.5 million

If China's Omicron crisis gets as bad as HK's, China will see 52,000 deaths a day

That's how bad it could get, potentially (tho of course the voluntary and obligatory lockdowns which would kick in long before then make this highly unlikely).

A relevant factor is China’s willingness (or not) to import western vaccines and implicitly admit it’s own aren’t as good. Seems unlikely, sadly.

Tomasz Oryński
    @TOrynski
    How an Ukrainian village armed with two flags defeated two Russian tanks:

1. 4 Russian tanks enter village. Villagers watch carefully from distance. Russians transfer fuel from two of them to other two, get onto those two and leave the two dry tanks in the village.

2. Villagers plant Ukrainian flags on those tanks.

3. The other two tanks return, see tanks with Ukrainian flags and open fire, destroying them completely. Keep driving around looking for their other two tanks.

4. One of the yanks drives onto a bridge with 5 tonnes weight limit. the bridge collapses, tanks falls into the river, everyone inside dies.

5. The other tank keeps driving around, get lost and finally gets stuck in the ditch. Russians get out of it and walk away.

Source: https://facebook.com/115577336004381/posts/841929190035855/

https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1502274459620855812

Sounds great, and I hope it happened, but I suspect that this is another 'Gouse of Kyiv' story.

What happened to the men in the 2 tanks left with no fuel? did they sit in their tanks will the locals put flags on their thanks? really? if not how did they fit in the other 2 tanks, tanks do not have much room for passengers.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    edited March 2022
    Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Looks like we're now up to 4 dead Russian generals (including the Chechen warlord).

Meanwhile in Kherson they're going house to house rounding up anyone with links to the Ukrainian government/police/defence forces: https://twitter.com/kherradio/status/1502241215651135488

4 out of how many? I have no idea how significant that it.
    Maybe 20 major generals on the ground in Ukraine, another 10 on the ground above them?

In total each of the 12 Russian armies has a commander (usually Lt Gen or Maj Gen), then a Chief of Staff and deputy commander (both Maj Gen)

Latest death is Andriy Kolesnikov, who was Major General in charge of Russia's 29th army.

Others were:
    Sukhovetsky, Maj General, deputy commander 41st.
    Gerasimov, Maj General, Chief of Staff 41st.
    Magomed Tushaev, Maj General, Chechens

(their positions can be verified here: https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/41-я_общевойсковая_армия?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp)

So of the 36-40 most prominent Russian generals that are Maj/Lt generals in charge of units, and could be deployed on the ground, 4 of them have been killed, while around 10 of them aren't deployed to this conflict.
    Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

The y-axis is R, yes, from zero to R0; x-axis is mobility reduction from 0% to 100%, 0% being "everyone acts exactly as if there were no virus" and 100% being "literally everyone stays at home for three weeks and nobody goes anywhere (oh, and society collapses)". The graphs are deliberately oversimplified and it's intrinsincally not knowable because we can't run parrallel universes, but my suspicion is that we're closer to graph 2 than graph 1 - and the lack of correlation between MPI intensity and excess deaths is evidence towards my hypothesis.

There is the complicating factor, of course, that excess deaths caused by the NPIs exist - and will be hidden in the death statistics for some years to come.

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,468

HYUFD said:

Can't understand why you think the DUP would want to do business with your party after last time...
    BJ makes promises to do better and fakes some more Union love, piece of cake. Look at DRossy and certain PBers after all..
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TimT said:

Applicant said:

Thread:

V. important paper published in the Lancet - the first peer-reviewed global estimates of excess deaths (the most reliable way to compare Covid deaths) over first 2 years of pandemic with findings that will surprise many & correct five widespread misconceptions / assumptions:
    1/9

1. Far from the UK having the worst death rate in Europe (or even Western Europe) as many still think, it is actually 29th in Europe & 9th in Western Europe - below the Western European average & at the same level as France & Germany (no statistically significant difference)....

3. England hasn't had a higher death rate than other home nations: all are basically the same level with no statistically significant difference:

England: 125.8 (122.1 - 128.7)
    Northern Ireland: 131.8 (101.6 - 165.0)
    Scotland: 130.6 (115.7 - 145.1)
    Wales: 135.5 (121.9 - 147.5)

https://twitter.com/drraghibali/status/1502227968353091585?s=20&t=84-YVzgUiv7w0k_h16BGSA

Take two wooded areas of the same size and climatic conditions, and the same amount of fuel in the system. We know that for each system, removing dead undergrowth reduces the prospect of a massive wildfire resulting from a lightning strike. But, if we remove the dead wood and scrub from one wood and not the other, we still cannot predict which of the two will produce a wildfire if both are struck with lightning. If the untended wood has no fire and the tended wood does, it still does not mean that the measures taken to remove fuel from the tended wood was wrong or useless.
    Fortunately we have the Lancet's legendary level of quality control and editorial rigour which ensure that only the very best papers are published on the subject with zero agenda being driven.
    Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Looks like we're now up to 4 dead Russian generals (including the Chechen warlord).

Meanwhile in Kherson they're going house to house rounding up anyone with links to the Ukrainian government/police/defence forces: https://twitter.com/kherradio/status/1502241215651135488

Maybe 20 major generals on the ground in Ukraine, another 10 on the ground above them?

In total each of the 12 Russian armies has a commander (usually Lt Gen or Maj Gen), then a Chief of Staff and deputy commander (both Maj Gen)

Latest death is Andriy Kolesnikov, who was Major General in charge of Russia's 29th army.

Others were:

(their positions can be verified here: https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/41-я_общевойсковая_армия?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp)

So of the 36-40 most prominent Russian generals that are Maj/Lt generals in charge of units, and could be deployed on the ground, 4 of them have been killed, while around 10 of them aren't deployed to this conflict.
    At least another eight will have been dropped into Putin’s tank of giant sharks with laser beams for their failure to deliver on his plan.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    edited March 2022
    Bellingcat (& replies in comments) showing Russian jets taking off, crossing the border with Ukraine before u-turning and attacking a Belarussian town. Ukrainian Parliament and Belarussian media also saying that a Belarussian town was attacked. Looks like Belarus is now in.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502293789762854918
    TimT said:

Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

Anyone expecting unbounded linearity in a complex adaptive system is falling down on the job. Non-linearity and discontinuities abound.

Oh, absolutely. But governments all over the world acted as if nonlinearity wasn't a thing. For example, remember the talk of R "budgets"?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

A relevant factor is China’s willingness (or not) to import western vaccines and implicitly admit it’s own aren’t as good. Seems unlikely, sadly.
    Seems weird they'd take the economic hit rather than do as you say, even if they're that callous about the general population.
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

I'm trying to find out what vax they are using for their booster campaign (which they are now desperately accelerating). It appears to be the same old same old: Sinovac and Sinopharm, the first of which is hugely questionable re Omicron, and the second of which is a bit meh

I find it hard to believe they aren't using MRNA's for the booster shots, when everyone knows they are superior, especially when mixed and matched, and this is a race against time. There are plenty of MRNA shots available, so is it really just national pride?!

Hubris, nemesis, perhaps

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

Somebody down below, commented that China is now doing that and has given 35% of there population at least one does of a good vaccine. I don't know how accurate that report was, there was no link, but if its the 35% most vanrable and they can boost that to say 50% in the next 2-3 weeks then that would make it significantly less bad.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    I talked with an Estonian analyst who has access to info and who I regard as one of the best we have here. His main conclusion: "The danger is far from over but there is reason for a very cautious optimism. Russian advance has clearly stalled." More below:

https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1502269876999757831
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    MISTY said:

biggles said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

You're welcome, Rog

🇬🇧🤝🇺🇦"

I think it was PJ O'Rourke who once opined that, if we're going to waste taxpayers' cash, high tech weaponry is the best way to waste it.

Ethical investment funds should include western arms manufacturers? Serious point for discussion.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,468
    Chameleon said:

Bellingcat (& replies in comments) showing Russian jets taking off, crossing the border with Ukraine before u-turning and attacking a Belarussian town. Ukrainian Parliament and Belarussian media also saying that a Belarussian town was attacked. Looks like Belarus is now in.

There needs to be a very well planned 'special operation' to overthrow Lukashenko.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,866
    Mike said "Under Johnson the Tories are, I would suggest, uncoalitionable."
    So, if the Tories are the biggest party but don't have a majority, is there any other else who could take over and form a government? I suspect not.

Chameleon said:

There needs to be a very well planned 'special operation' to overthrow Lukashenko.
    It’s proven to be the only way to prevent wars.
    Applicant said:

Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

The y-axis is R, yes, from zero to R0; x-axis is mobility reduction from 0% to 100%, 0% being "everyone acts exactly as if there were no virus" and 100% being "literally everyone stays at home for three weeks and nobody goes anywhere (oh, and society collapses)". The graphs are deliberately oversimplified and it's intrinsincally not knowable because we can't run parrallel universes, but my suspicion is that we're closer to graph 2 than graph 1 - and the lack of correlation between MPI intensity and excess deaths is evidence towards my hypothesis.

There is the complicating factor, of course, that excess deaths caused by the NPIs exist - and will be hidden in the death statistics for some years to come.

We can get a good idea of the latter pretty quickly: what were the levels of excess deaths in Australia and New Zealand? Strong NPIs but very little in the way of covid deaths.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,812

So, if the Tories are the biggest party but don't have a majority, is there any other else who could take over and form a government? I suspect not.

Starmer, if he got confidence and supply from the SNP and the LDs and combined they get to 326 seats or more
    Luna is Eliminated for taking a poop half way round.
    biggles said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

At least another eight will have been dropped into Putin’s tank of giant sharks with laser beams for their failure to deliver on his plan.
    Dr Evil styal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Chameleon said:

Markets suggest Belarus debt is almost as likely to default as Russia. Their economy is in ruins, and for what?

A thank you from Vlad?
    TimT said:

Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

I am a (lapsed) physicist, so it wouldn't have been a totally unreasonable response to me. We are afterall notorious for oversimplifying complex systems to get the maths to work :wink:

I think if you’re the Tory Party and have most seats, then it’s a gift if Labour then goes into power in a weak “rainbow coalition” with folk like Sturgeon frequently seen to be making demands. Obviously you’d rather win the election but in those circumstances you have a very good chance to not be out of power long, but still reinvent yourself with a fresher front bench.
    Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

So at 10% :)

if 10% of all ranks where now dead, that would be 19,000 ish so about in line with Ukrainian government estimates.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Leon said:

Quite extraordinarily bad situation in Hong Kong right now

"To say Hong Kong's current Covid death rate is the highest in the world doesn't quite do justice to how extreme it is. It is markedly higher than any of the countries with the worst overall Covid death rates have ever recorded on a weekly basis."

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1501839293643649026?s=20&t=wpNRsEKuGQQkyv8jygYkHQ

The massive gap in vaccinations of the over 60s is absolutely astounding.
    BigRich said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

Somebody down below, commented that China is now doing that and has given 35% of there population at least one does of a good vaccine. I don't know how accurate that report was, there was no link, but if its the 35% most vanrable and they can boost that to say 50% in the next 2-3 weeks then that would make it significantly less bad.
    It looks like China has, very recently, moved to allowing mix and match boosters, with a DOMESTIC MRNA jab?

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202202/21/WS6212ce3da310cdd39bc87c1b.html

That's late February. Ouch. It is going to be close - whether they can avoid Hong Kong type scenes (and of course we don't know the state of vaccine refusal in elderly Chinese, whether it is as bad as in HK)
    edited March 2022
    Erin disaqualifed. As is Millie.

A tough course. No clear round as yet.

10 faults for Laura, one to go . And another elimination!

The winner has five faults, second but the rest are all eliminated. Carnage in the medium category!
    Selebian said:

TimT said:

Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

I am a (lapsed) physicist, so it wouldn't have been a totally unreasonable response to me. We are afterall notorious for oversimplifying complex systems to get the maths to work :wink:
    “For the purposes of this model we assume no air resistance, no gravity, and no friction - because basically I can’t be arsed”.
    edited March 2022
    Selebian said:

TimT said:

Selebian said:

Applicant said:

glw said:

TimT said:

Applicant said:
    » show previous quotes

Yes, I appreciate I'm at the levels of a spherical cow in a vacuum. :lol:
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Not sure if posted already but Sweden is taking its defence spending to 2% of GDP:

https://twitter.com/AnnLinde/status/1501941726105141254
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

I'm trying to find out what vax they are using for their booster campaign (which they are now desperately accelerating). It appears to be the same old same old: Sinovac and Sinopharm, the first of which is hugely questionable re Omicron, and the second of which is a bit meh

I find it hard to believe they aren't using MRNA's for the booster shots, when everyone knows they are superior, especially when mixed and matched, and this is a race against time. There are plenty of MRNA shots available, so is it really just national pride?!

Hubris, nemesis, perhaps

Access to enough -40 (?) storage?
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

"To say Hong Kong's current Covid death rate is the highest in the world doesn't quite do justice to how extreme it is. It is markedly higher than any of the countries with the worst overall Covid death rates have ever recorded on a weekly basis."

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1501839293643649026?s=20&t=wpNRsEKuGQQkyv8jygYkHQ

This doesn't look good for mainland China

"Nearly nine months after China started offering COVID-19 vaccines to seniors aged 60 and above, about 50 million people in this age group remain unvaccinated. Chinese health authorities today announced a new drive to push more older adults to get inoculated. Yet the calls were met with hesitancy and outright opposition from many families with seniors, who cited concerns about side effects as their main reason for reluctance."

https://supchina.com/2021/11/30/china-wants-higher-vaccination-rate-among-seniors-but-hesitant-people-say-beijing-is-too-pushy/

50 million potential victims of Omicron?

On the other hand, China has the advantage of being a brutal autocracy, so it can just go around forcing needles into people, if it has to
    edited March 2022
    Now the large. The first competitor eliminated.

Someone just needs to walk round and win?

Now Ragnar the Viszla - surely he can do this?
    Ragnar eliminated. Falling like dominoes this afternoon.
    philiph said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

Hubris, nemesis, perhaps

See my later comment below, it looks like China has got round the problem - they now have their own local MRNA jab. But they are pushed for time, in terms of getting the whole population boosted
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

This doesn't look good for mainland China

"Nearly nine months after China started offering COVID-19 vaccines to seniors aged 60 and above, about 50 million people in this age group remain unvaccinated. Chinese health authorities today announced a new drive to push more older adults to get inoculated. Yet the calls were met with hesitancy and outright opposition from many families with seniors, who cited concerns about side effects as their main reason for reluctance."

https://supchina.com/2021/11/30/china-wants-higher-vaccination-rate-among-seniors-but-hesitant-people-say-beijing-is-too-pushy/

50 million potential victims of Omicron?

On the other hand, China has the advantage of being a brutal autocracy, so it can just go around forcing needles into people, if it has to
    Or worse, is brutal enough to see this as an opportunity to reduce the aging population issue.
    Next Mac the Scottish Bearded Collie….5 faults already…and slow.

10 faults. 15 faults. 20 faults. Another one gone.
  • Keir Starmer has a very good chance of being PM, especially up against BoJo.
    Now Altai the Saluki.

Chilled and controlled.

But eliminated straight away.
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

if 10% of all ranks where now dead, that would be 19,000 ish so about in line with Ukrainian government estimates.
    I've asked before, and don't recall getting an answer...... are Russian troops surrendering, and if so, what happens to them?
    I can't imagine the life prospects for a Russian soldier who is found by his colleagues as a POW are good.
    It’s down to Arthur the wire haired Viszla to rescue something from this…

Good start. 5 faults. 10 faults. But he finishes and goes into the lead!
    Now Eric the Labrador.

Fast and true. Go Eric!

Yes!! 38 seconds and clear.

One dog to go
    IanB2 said:

I hope this is sheep dog trials
    Two refusals and a missed jump. 15 faults! Eric wins.
    Another data point going unnoticed

Germany reported 300,000 cases yesterday: by far its highest daily rate of the pandemic

"Germany is sliding into a new "critical" health situation with coronavirus cases soaring to new records, its health minister warned Friday, as he pleaded with vaccine holdouts to get jabbed."

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/germany-in-new-covid-critical-situation-health-minister-11647008055728.html
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

Is it Crufts? I've been a bit bemused
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,504
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

The other day a senior analyst or military type used the word "decimation" - correctly.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,097
    MISTY said:

biggles said:

MISTY said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

You're welcome, Rog

🇬🇧🤝🇺🇦"

Yes, PJ O'Rourke, I'd have thought.
  • Seems quite a lot of RAF activity overhead and quite low coming from RAF Valley
    IanB2 said:

Two refusals and a missed jump. 15 faults! Eric wins.

A travesty for me.

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

Is it Crufts? I've been a bit bemused
    Indeed.

Next, the flyball team quarter-finals. A great atmosphere in the main arena…
    "Putin appears to be truly unhappy with the FSB in Ukraine: he attacked the 5 Service SOiMS (FSB's foreign Intelligence branch). Sergei Beseda, head of the Service, and his deputy Bolukh, head of the DOI, placed under house arrest, according to my sources inside."

Good. Turmoil in the Kremlin

https://twitter.com/AndreiSoldatov/status/1502221544499601411?s=20&t=dk5NkmBn_-nPSr2yPnf-Nw
    Check that thread below. It looks like Putin is turning on the FSB. Seems legit. Could be crucial

BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

I've asked before, and don't recall getting an answer...... are Russian troops surrendering, and if so, what happens to them?
    I can't imagine the life prospects for a Russian soldier who is found by his colleagues as a POW are good.
    some have clearly surrendered, we have seen enough on youtube to know that. but it does not seem like large numbers at any one point.

I do wander about the number 'missing' individuals or small groups who have got detached from their units, possibly because of pore coms, lack of maps, or there vehicles running out of fuel. these solders may not have decided what to do next, i.e. if they find main Russian forces then they will return to there unit, but if they find Ukrainians first perhaps they will surrender.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Even if Starmer is a dud, Labour can probably still gain about 40 seats from the Tories like in 1992 and it's quite likely the Tories also lose at least 10 seats to the LDs even if I'm more cautious about their prospects.

Yesterday's Hitchin by elections were also awful for the Tories and encouraging for the LDs if the Lib Dems can tactically squeeze Labour there at the next general election.

Chameleon said:

Dreadful man. No domestic mandate whatsoever. Rigged the election, terrorizes opponents with his police state, beholden to Putin for everything.
    Chameleon said:

Yes, very convincing. I know when I'm being attacked by a militarily superior foe and begging for international assistance my first thought is to attack another nation so they have reason to enter the conflict.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,992
    Leon said:

philiph said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is in lockdown now.

*Startled expression*

Hubris, nemesis, perhaps

See my later comment below, it looks like China has got round the problem - they now have their own local MRNA jab. But they are pushed for time, in terms of getting the whole population boosted
    Does it work though....
    It’s Wild West from Somerset versus Lightning Strikes from Hampshire…
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,220
    "Why London loved Roman Abramovich
    He changed us more than we changed him
    BY WILL LLOYD"

https://unherd.com/2022/03/why-london-loved-roman-abramovich/
    edited March 2022
    3 out of 20 Russian major generals currently in Ukraine have now been killed, says western official

Western official says it is of note that they are so far forward which you would expect to see when troops are unable to make decisions of their own or are fearful of moving forward.

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1502302509905416193?s=20&t=SaV0KMM3zk4a2qQS0w3CFQ

I remember playing Stratego as a kid, you didn't want to go losing your General...
    edited March 2022
    A comfortable win for Lightning on the practice round.
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

Dreadful man. No domestic mandate whatsoever. Rigged the election, terrorizes opponents with his police state, beholden to Putin for everything.
    Europe's last dictator - already dodgy as a title if one accepts Russia as in Europe - really needs to be final.

But he was already a pariah, more so than Putin - how much more vulnerable can he be made?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528

Tomasz Oryński
    @TOrynski

1. 4 Russian tanks enter village. Villagers watch carefully from distance. Russians transfer fuel from two of them to other two, get onto those two and leave the two dry tanks in the village.

3. The other two tanks return, see tanks with Ukrainian flags and open fire, destroying them completely. Keep driving around looking for their other two tanks.

4. One of the yanks drives onto a bridge with 5 tonnes weight limit. the bridge collapses, tanks falls into the river, everyone inside dies.

5. The other tank keeps driving around, get lost and finally gets stuck in the ditch. Russians get out of it and walk away.

Ordinarily you'd be extremely skeptical of this story, but it does sound as if it fits with the level of stupidity of much we are seeing in this war...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

"Putin appears to be truly unhappy with the FSB in Ukraine: he attacked the 5 Service SOiMS (FSB's foreign Intelligence branch). Sergei Beseda, head of the Service, and his deputy Bolukh, head of the DOI, placed under house arrest, according to my sources inside."

Good. Turmoil in the Kremlin

https://twitter.com/AndreiSoldatov/status/1502221544499601411?s=20&t=dk5NkmBn_-nPSr2yPnf-Nw

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/13/russias-fsb-agency-engineering-coups-ukrainian-cities

Pre invasion report Beseda's job was arranging coups and puppet mayors in major cities
    Hampshire foul so Somerset win the first round
    One all.
    geoffw said:

BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Cookie said:

Chameleon said:

Others were:

The other day a senior analyst or military type used the word "decimation" - correctly.

Yep, the former Chief of Staff or whatever in the UK.
    A fun thought for a Friday afternoon....

Putin is 'planning a man-made catastrophe' at Chernobyl: Ukrainian intelligence claims Russia will fake a terror attack at nuclear plant and try to blackmail the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10602703/Putin-planning-man-catastrophe-Chernobyl-Ukrainian-intelligence-claims.html

Tomasz Oryński
    @TOrynski

Ordinarily you'd be extremely skeptical of this story, but it does sound as if it fits with the level of stupidity of much we are seeing in this war...
    Taking the point about the crew of the two stationary ones, I suppose it might just be possible to put Ukrainian flags on them without the crew being aware. Especially if the villagers have been keeping themselves hidden, so the village appears deserted.
This discussion has been closed.