Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Le Pen and Zemmour still haven’t got enough nominations – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238
    darkage said:

Cicero said:

The war is building into a massacre of Ukrainian civilians. It is proof how desparate the Russian side now is. They are pushing on all fronts and sadly they are making progress just through simple savagery. However this is a very short window. The inability of Russia to pay for anything will impact their fighting capability, but not overnight or even in a few days. The Ukrainian army and state needs to survive for weeks or even months and feeding the cities will become a problem. Only if they can stand firm will the Russian attack abate and it is asking a lot. We are entering a point of maximum danger for the Ukrainians and the Russian high command will do to Kharkiv or Kyiv what they already did to Grozny and Aleppo. War crimes indictments will surely follow.

This marks a comprehensive break between the West and the current form of Russia. These are not sanctions, they mark the utter shunning of Russia in every single sphere of contact. The reputation of Russia and the Russians has been totally trashed and, even if the war stops tomorrow, the change in perception will be lasting.

Johnson is arriving in Tallinn later today, but I am not sure calling for Putin´s head is such a good move. Even those who also want him gone in the regime won´t want to be pushed around so obviously, so it is likely to be counter productive, even though it is now quite clear that VVP is not a man we can do (any) business with.

Now the tide has gone out, at least we now know who picked the wrong side: Farage, Salmond, Trump, various Tories and many others. I said that the day of reckoning would be delayed until the crisis cools, but when that happens, the reckoning should be sure and complete.

In the meantime, Happy St. David´s Day!

Thanks. The danger with Johnson is that he uses the conflict as a distraction from his domestic problems. I think there is an element of that going on, but his assertiveness and charisma has been positive in other ways. Hard to judge, at the moment.
    I find it quite interesting that many on PB seem to think Johnson has had a good couple of weeks.

It feels to me that in the big picture Johnson has looked pretty irrelevant. He's said some of the right things but with very little action and it's fairly clear that for leadership in Europe countries are now looking to the EU bloc. If Johnson really wanted to make a difference he should be looking at a much more extensive list of individual sanctions/property confiscations in London and Surrey. If oligarch families are in residence let them spend a few weeks being interned.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,549

One thing I don't understand about Russian military tactics is their lack of use of their airforce and having a 40 mile convoy of vehicles which everyone can see.

My best guess is that military jets are the most complicated and difficult to maintain piece of equipment in the armed forces, and so the most likely to be adversely affected by a culture of corruption that sees money for spare parts and maintenance diverted to private pockets.

Or the anti-aircraft missiles Ukraine have been given are good enough to deter the use of the air force during the day for close ground support.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,829

Speaking ahead of travelling to Poland and Estonia on Tuesday, the prime minister said the UK and its allies are united in agreeing "Putin must fail"

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1498554996295712768

This is not rational policy, and should be challenged quite strongly. Johnson thinks he's performiing a public stance of Churchilian heroism, but he's fundamentally too shallow and insulated a politician to understand the perspective and stakes of the situation outside the glories of his head.

Putin is only going to fail if the regime collapses ; we cannot defeat him. Johnson' team may also be telling him that this sort of rhetoric will increase the internal panic, or bring about more concessions at negotiations, but it won't. It;s just making it harder both for him to come to terms and his internal foes to get rid of him.
    I only hope that Boris does not turn up on the Ukrainian border decked in flags and sliding down a zip-wire whilst waving at the cameras.....

British troops have been providing training and capacity building to the Ukrainian Armed Forces since 2015.

https://medium.com/voices-of-the-armed-forces/operation-orbital-explained-training-ukrainian-armed-forces-59405d32d604
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Heathener said:

The Fiona Hill interview for those who may have missed it:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

She has been criticised by a few on here for daring to speak the unthinkable. But she's right to wake us up. Putin has to be stopped.

It is a good interview. I read the analysis as being to the effect that war with Putin has been going on for 15 years, it is extremely dangerous, he has already used nuclear weapons, and this conflict is best understood as being just a stage in it.

Worth reflecting on the fact that Putin started his invasion of Ukraine 8 years ago, we did nothing then. What has changed in the intervening time is us.

I don't think Hill is saying that the best strategy to beat Putin is to go all in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106

Cicero said:

The war is building into a massacre of Ukrainian civilians. It is proof how desparate the Russian side now is. They are pushing on all fronts and sadly they are making progress just through simple savagery. However this is a very short window. The inability of Russia to pay for anything will impact their fighting capability, but not overnight or even in a few days. The Ukrainian army and state needs to survive for weeks or even months and feeding the cities will become a problem. Only if they can stand firm will the Russian attack abate and it is asking a lot. We are entering a point of maximum danger for the Ukrainians and the Russian high command will do to Kharkiv or Kyiv what they already did to Grozny and Aleppo. War crimes indictments will surely follow.

This marks a comprehensive break between the West and the current form of Russia. These are not sanctions, they mark the utter shunning of Russia in every single sphere of contact. The reputation of Russia and the Russians has been totally trashed and, even if the war stops tomorrow, the change in perception will be lasting.

Johnson is arriving in Tallinn later today, but I am not sure calling for Putin´s head is such a good move. Even those who also want him gone in the regime won´t want to be pushed around so obviously, so it is likely to be counter productive, even though it is now quite clear that VVP is not a man we can do (any) business with.

Now the tide has gone out, at least we now know who picked the wrong side: Farage, Salmond, Trump, various Tories and many others. I said that the day of reckoning would be delayed until the crisis cools, but when that happens, the reckoning should be sure and complete.

Indeed, after this we need to have a forensic, transparent, open and comprehensive inquiry into the role of Russian money and influence of Russian individuals in the British polity over the last 20 years. The Russia report I suspect barely skimmed the surface.

This will be painful for the Conservative Party and for certain individuals from across the political spectrum but by God, it is absolutely necessary.
    Investigating their effect on the London housing market over recent years will be enlightening.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Chameleon said:

That 19 year old interview on Newsnight is devastating. If not for a few hundred miles of difference in birth that'd be my sister lamenting my probable death.

I emailed the other day with an old contact of mine. Mid 50s CEO. Took his family to Spain 2 weeks ago - and then returned to Kyiv to help organise the resistance.

Seriously impressive
  • Options

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry
    To journalists in Poland & Estonia - #BorisJohnson is visiting you tomorrow (I know it’s difficult to believe but the scruffy clown really is PM) & you need to know something v important about him - he tells lies. Whoppers.
    https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1498430086395142157

Utterly shameful comment and evidence of just how some would even provide propaganda to Putin because of their hatred of brexit
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

I don't think the EU show any signs of waiting for Joe Biden who, as I said, has isolationist tendencies.

This is war on OUR doorstep and we have to stand tall and strong.

The EU is just a trading block still primarily.

The EU still does not have its own army and UVDL in any case is not going to do anything herself militarily.

It remains NATO which is the main guarantee of security in Europe and NATO won't do anything militarily without sleepy Joe's say so. Biden won't do anything against Russian beyond economic sanctions whatever they do in Ukraine, even if it becomes another 1990s Bosnia and hence the same goes for the UK and the EU. That is just the reality
  • Options

Good morning everyone. In all this talk of WWIII and a Nuclear Armageddon ... Happy Pancake Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1g_1EJrfnU
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,426

We all focussed on Chelsea but the Ev might be in trouble.

Everton investor Alisher Usmanov has assets frozen due to close ties with Vladimir Putin

Unclear if club will be hit after sanctions against Russian billionaire, including travel ban and 'prohibition from making funds available'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/28/everton-investor-alisher-usmanov-has-assets-frozen-due-close/

We shoud be using joint russian /british business and sport contacts to de=escalate not ramp things up in general. I am not sure its good that BP have been told to get off the Rosneft board for instance .
  • Options
    Hill:

Unfortunately, we have politicians and public figures in the United States and around Europe who have embraced the idea that Russia was wronged by NATO and that Putin is a strong, powerful man and has the right to do what he’s doing: Because Ukraine is somehow not worthy of independence, because it’s either Russia’s historical lands or Ukrainians are Russians, or the Ukrainian leaders are — this is what Putin says — “drug addled, fascist Nazis” or whatever labels he wants to apply here.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

She has been criticised by a few on here for daring to speak the unthinkable. But she's right to wake us up. Putin has to be stopped.

It is a good interview. I read the analysis as being to the effect that war with Putin has been going on for 15 years, it is extremely dangerous, he has already used nuclear weapons, and this conflict is best understood as being just a stage in it.

Worth reflecting on the fact that Putin started his invasion of Ukraine 8 years ago, we did nothing then. What has changed in the intervening time is us.

I don't think Hill is saying that the best strategy to beat Putin is to go all in.
    She isn't saying that at all. She's quite level headed in her interview.
  • Options

Never, ever, give up. Never, ever, give in to despair. Keep going. We are on the right side here and we are on the strongest side.

Things are going to get bleak, perhaps horribly bleak, particularly for our incredibly brave Ukrainian allies, but however long it takes, we will prevail.

Don't forget that.

emotional drivel i am sorry to say. We need cool heads not speeches
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

darkage said:

Cicero said:

Thanks. The danger with Johnson is that he uses the conflict as a distraction from his domestic problems. I think there is an element of that going on, but his assertiveness and charisma has been positive in other ways. Hard to judge, at the moment.
    I find it quite interesting that many on PB seem to think Johnson has had a good couple of weeks.

It feels to me that in the big picture Johnson has looked pretty irrelevant. He's said some of the right things but with very little action and it's fairly clear that for leadership in Europe countries are now looking to the EU bloc. If Johnson really wanted to make a difference he should be looking at a much more extensive list of individual sanctions/property confiscations in London and Surrey. If oligarch families are in residence let them spend a few weeks being interned.

The UK saw the dangers earlier than most and, to an extent at least, acted on them. That is to the government's credit. The longer the conflict rolls on, though, it is inevitable that the response will become more international, with the US and the EU leading the way - and perhaps China having a decisive say.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Incredible footage of ordinary unarmed Ukr peeps telling RU troops to just fuck off back to their own country.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/28/world/ukraine-russia-war#ukrainian-civilians-protest-russian-troops-who-occupied-a-coastal-city

Putin has lost this already. Just about how it ends now.

The trouble is he has massive weaponry.
    Indeed, all he has mainly sent in so far is conscripts with limited air support.

Most of the elite Russian troops have not been sent to Kyiv. If it does not fall within a week they will be after a massive aerial bombing campaign and supported by heavy artillery and Russian tanks.

It is not over by any means, in reality the war has barely begun
    Do you still believe in the myth of the invincibility of the Russian military after what we've seen?
    As I said so far it is mainly conscripts who have been doing the fighting, the full scale of the Russian military has yet to be engaged
    This was the biggest decision of Putin's life and took months of planning, involving reducing Russia's defences in the far-east and pulling in forces from every available source for a massive mobilisation. Do you really think he told his planners to use the B-team, or is it more likely that we're seeing the limits of their capabilities?
    The B-team line is Russian propaganda (why are they doing so badly). It’s a lie. Just like the whole NATO provoking them line.

I fear our friend @HYUFD may be in the process of doing a Plato
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381
    Heathener said:

I read it. I think she is rather level headed in what she says.

Whether or not people agree with her conclusions she knows her stuff and people should accept her knowledge on this.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,066
    Cicero said:

The war is building into a massacre of Ukrainian civilians. It is proof how desparate the Russian side now is. They are pushing on all fronts and sadly they are making progress just through simple savagery. However this is a very short window. The inability of Russia to pay for anything will impact their fighting capability, but not overnight or even in a few days. The Ukrainan army and state needs to survive for weeks or even months and feeding the cities will become a problem. Only if they can stand firm will the Russian attack abate and it is asking a lot. We are entering a point of maximum danger for the Ukrainians and the Russian high command will do to Kharkiv or Kyiv what they already did to Grozny and Aleppo. War crimes indictments will surely follow.

Now the tide has gone out, at least we now know who picked the wrong side: Farage, Salmond, Trump, various Tories and many others. I said that the day of reckoning would be delayed until the crisis abates, but when that happens, the recking should be sure and complete.

Well I wasn't expecting the last bit. Donetsk (or Hughesovka - yes really) was founded by a welsh businessman. Not that we are demanding a territorial claim I might say. But it's a bit more complicated than saying 'It belongs to Russia'. There's also a very small town in south wales called Sevastopol. It was also the case that the welsh national party leader went into Kiev a few days before the invasion as part of a delegation to support workers and minorities.

Actually it's quite a serious point. We've got used to devolved administrations in the UK. But with the SNP embarrassed by Salmond too, the usually anti war celtic nationalists aren't causing any trouble.
  • Options

Never, ever, give up. Never, ever, give in to despair. Keep going. We are on the right side here and we are on the strongest side.

Things are going to get bleak, perhaps horribly bleak, particularly for our incredibly brave Ukrainian allies, but however long it takes, we will prevail.

Don't forget that.

Mate, if you want to give up, if you want to despair, be my guest. I think we will end up on the winning side here. If you don't, so be it.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,072

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry
    To journalists in Poland & Estonia - #BorisJohnson is visiting you tomorrow (I know it’s difficult to believe but the scruffy clown really is PM) & you need to know something v important about him - he tells lies. Whoppers.

A really helpful comment. So glad she is no longer part of our public life.
    Well, she's not wrong.
  • Options

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry

There's a time and a place and this isn't it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Don't forget that.

Mate, if you want to give up, if you want to despair, be my guest. I think we will end up on the winning side here. If you don't, so be it.

I dont wnat to give up on the world or my family . /ukraine and always being on the right side of "good" and winning all the time is not as important as my family or indeed civilisation in general.its harder to say what I am saying than just be gung-ho and cheer /ukraine on giving Russia moonies When dealing with hard men and countries it is all about saving face on both sides not casualties even (its not nice but a fact) .thats how things get settled between power blocks and the UK needs to stop its chipy are not we so good and plucky stuff quick
  • Options

darkage said:

Cicero said:

Seems he had quite a lift in the poll yesterday and to be honest he is doing well at present

However, the day of reckoning for him has not gone away but it is up to his mps in the end
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254

The UK saw the dangers earlier than most and, to an extent at least, acted on them. That is to the government's credit.

The "sclerotic" EU, apparently taken unawares, acted fast enough to cause whiplash.

The UK, which was apparently well prepared, still hasn't got out of our own way.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418

Speaking ahead of travelling to Poland and Estonia on Tuesday, the prime minister said the UK and its allies are united in agreeing "Putin must fail"

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1498554996295712768

This is not rational policy, and should be challenged quite strongly. Johnson thinks he's performiing a public stance of Churchilian heroism, but he's fundamentally too shallow and insulated a politician to understand the perspective and stakes of the situation outside the glories of his head.

Putin is only going to fail if the regime collapses ; we cannot defeat him. Johnson' team may also be telling him that this sort of rhetoric will increase the internal panic, or bring about more concessions at negotiations, but it won't. It;s just making it harder both for him to come to terms and his internal foes to get rid of him.
    I only hope that Boris does not turn up on the Ukrainian border decked in flags and sliding down a zip-wire whilst waving at the cameras.....

Stop it Mrs C. Johnson porn at this time in the morning?
  • Options
    France's Finance minister Bruno Le Maire just now on French radio: "We are going to induce the collapse of the Russian economy" https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/economie-social/bruno-le-maire-nous-allons-provoquer-l-effondrement-de-l-economie-russe_AN-202203010131.html via @bfmbusiness
  • Options

Everton investor Alisher Usmanov has assets frozen due to close ties with Vladimir Putin

Unclear if club will be hit after sanctions against Russian billionaire, including travel ban and 'prohibition from making funds available'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/28/everton-investor-alisher-usmanov-has-assets-frozen-due-close/

We shoud be using joint russian /british business and sport contacts to de=escalate not ramp things up in general. I am not sure its good that BP have been told to get off the Rosneft board for instance .
    Between this and your other posts you seem to be firmly on the side of appeasement.

We don't need to appease a Russia that's invading other countries. We need to defeat them.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

That 19 year old interview on Newsnight is devastating. If not for a few hundred miles of difference in birth that'd be my sister lamenting my probable death.

Sorry, which interview? I missed the programme.
  • Options

Don't forget that.

I dont wnat to give up on the world or my family . /ukraine and always being on the right side of "good" and winning all the time is not as important as my family or indeed civilisation in general.its harder to say what I am sayin than just be gung-ho and cheer /ukraine on giving Russia moonies

It's very easy to say what you say. Just turn on GBNews, you'll get a load of it. I am telling my family that it is going to be hard and it is going to be frightening, but that there is always hope and you mustn't give into despair.
  • Options
    Maersk will temporarily halt all container shipping to and from Russia: Statement
    https://twitter.com/themmagraham/status/1498576108681322496
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cicero said:

Indeed, after this we need to have a forensic, transparent, open and comprehensive inquiry into the role of Russian money and influence of Russian individuals in the British polity over the last 20 years. The Russia report I suspect barely skimmed the surface.

This will be painful for the Conservative Party and for certain individuals from across the political spectrum but by God, it is absolutely necessary.
    Investigating their effect on the London housing market over recent years will be enlightening.
    Boris was the first to demand Russia was barred from Swift
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Between this and your other posts you seem to be firmly on the side of appeasement.

We don't need to appease a Russia that's invading other countries. We need to defeat them.
    how the fuck do you defeat Russia FFS - Get real and quick.Its basis business negotiation learning to know you should never "defeat" anyone anyway but negotiate especially a country that a) you cannot and b) can wipe you out anytime it likes
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

Nigelb said:

The effect of sanctions appears quite swift in some cases.

BREAKING: Russian billionaires Mikhail Fridman and Oleg Deripaska have broken ranks with the Kremlin and called for an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1498443028540837891

Deripaska? I've actually heard of him. He's George Osborne's mate isn't he?

And Peter Mandelson's mate before that.
    And Yeltsin's mate before *that*, probably, given that he seems to have married into the family.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    edited March 2022

Marcel Dirsus
    @marceldirsus
    As former Chancellor, Gerhard Schröder gets a taxpayer funded office. His entire staff just quit.
    https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1498573787582902277

NIce. Perhaps he could use some of the million euro a year he used to get from Russia on typing lessons?

EDIT: He is, apparently one of those shitheads who is too precious to actual use email himself. Gets a secretary to print stuff for him to read and dictates his answers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944

Lots of hyperbole on here this morning.

The key player to watch here is the US. They are noticeably showing restraint. For all of Europe’s positioning, the US calls the shots here and it will be the US to whom the Russian government will be looking for indicators.

I am not saying we shouldn’t be worried. War in Europe as a thing is enough cause for worry without adding talk of MAD into the equation.

It's at a time like this that it is good to have a POTUs who remembers previous confrontations with Russia, and how they were de-escalated, rather than some cosplay kid brought up on Call of Duty.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    Scott_xP said:

France's Finance minister Bruno Le Maire just now on French radio: "We are going to induce the collapse of the Russian economy" https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/economie-social/bruno-le-maire-nous-allons-provoquer-l-effondrement-de-l-economie-russe_AN-202203010131.html via @bfmbusiness

Well we are, but given how Putin reacts to things it was probably wiser not to say it out loud.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Don't forget that.

I dont wnat to give up on the world or my family . /ukraine and always being on the right side of "good" and winning all the time is not as important as my family or indeed civilisation in general.its harder to say what I am sayin than just be gung-ho and cheer /ukraine on giving Russia moonies

It's very easy to say what you say. Just turn on GBNews, you'll get a load of it. I am telling my family that it is going to be hard and it is going to be frightening, but that there is always hope and you mustn't give into despair.
    Until this war started I was watching a lot of GB News because I agreed with their stance on the Woke stuff. Stopped watching now because I don't like their attitude on Putin and Russia.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843
    A piece on Germany's "Putin-Verstehers" ('Putin carressers') coming to terms with their past where they thought now-abandoned policies would work,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/28/germanys-putin-caressers-start-coming-to-terms-with-their-naivety
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Well we are, but given how Putin reacts to things it was probably wiser not to say it out loud.
    I don't what they're up to with all this public rhetoric, but it's not good.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I don't think the EU show any signs of waiting for Joe Biden who, as I said, has isolationist tendencies.

The EU still does not have its own army and UVDL in any case is not going to do anything herself militarily.

It remains NATO which is the main guarantee of security in Europe and NATO won't do anything militarily without sleepy Joe's say so. Biden won't do anything against Russian beyond economic sanctions whatever they do in Ukraine, even if it becomes another 1990s Bosnia and hence the same goes for the UK and the EU. That is just the reality
    And, actually, there is one thing that the EU could do right now -- which is entirely within its grasp and which Ukraine has explicitly asked for. Immediate accession.

It does not require Biden's permission.

If the EU wants to "stand tall and strong", let it do what Ukraine has pleaded with it to do.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Another point that has been on my mind is that we need to start accepting that the world has changed, and war is a reality again. My young son is a dual national and will be conscripted in to the Finnish army in his teenage years. This used to be a fun period of camping out in the woods for 18 months, with all sorts of exemptions, but in the future is going to become a very serious endeavour. I've got to bring him up with an understanding that one day he may have to fight and die. How to do this without scaring the hell out of him is something I am really struggling with. I have also got to be prepared to do the same if necessary. We've got to come to terms with the fact that, as a society, unfortunately we cannot wish war and violence away.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Unhelpful. State is not talking about appeasement. He is talking about being mindful of the outcomes and what practical steps you might take.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Putin is collapsing his own economy by making it impossible for anyone to do business with him. The responsibility is his.

Less Willy waving please.
  • Options

darkage said:

Cicero said:

The UK saw the dangers earlier than most and, to an extent at least, acted on them
    “To an extent”?

20,000 trained Ukrainian troops since 2015 is a heck of a lot more of “an extent” than any of our European peers.

Or do people think it’s a coincidence that the Ukrainian army is not the walk-over it was in 2014?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    Again completely offtopic but as its probably of interest to some on here, a diagram of ALL 6 lens elements in the camera lens of an iPhone 7 (and some are very strangely shaped).

https://twitter.com/yiningkarlli/status/1498069538264399872 - it's remarkable how much work goes into making something so small work.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Don't forget that.

Until this war started I was watching a lot of GB News because I agreed with their stance on the Woke stuff. Stopped watching now because I don't like their attitude on Putin and Russia.
    I must say I have never watched it
  • Options

how the fuck do you defeat Russia FFS - Get real and quick
    I am real.

We defeat them via these sanctions etc causing them to run out of money.
    We defeat them by aiding the Ukrainians so that they can defend themselves.

Lesson number one in warfare: If you can't pay your troops, or feed your troops, then you can't win a war.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091
    That column of Russian military heading to Kyiv could easily be taken out by NATO forces so it’s very frustrating that we’re just sitting and watching as they advance .

But I’m afraid we’re just going to have to sit and watch . Horrible as it is NATO can’t get involved .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,028
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

I read it. I think she is rather level headed in what she says.

Whether or not people agree with her conclusions she knows her stuff and people should accept her knowledge on this.
    FWIW, I agree with everything she says in that interview.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

The UK saw the dangers earlier than most and, to an extent at least, acted on them. That is to the government's credit.

Who are you kidding? London is practically "Moscow West", Russian money owns a lot of UK stuff, and some of that same money is the bank account of the ruling political party.

Many warned for years that the ERG and Farage were like Putin's little helpers sowing disunity in the EU.

If we saw this coming, then we did very little about it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Somebody on Twitter this morning claims they are owned/funded by Gazprom
  • Options
    In Russian-occupied Melitopol, Russian officers (most likely FSB/secret police agents) have started looking for some inhabitants.

They are walking door to door with lists of names and addresses in their hands.

The Poles and the Balts remember this from 1939-1940.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1498562882421899264
  • Options
    Sir Lindsay Hoyle has warned Priti Patel if she doesn’t voluntarily make Commons statement this afternoon explaining help for Ukrainian refugees he will grant an urgent question
    https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1498578820579962882
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The "sclerotic" EU, apparently taken unawares, acted fast enough to cause whiplash.

The UK, which was apparently well prepared, still hasn't got out of our own way.

As time goes on in this conflict, what the UK does or doesn't do will become far less significant. But we did make a difference by arming and training the Ukrainian army. It is churlish to claim otherwise. Right now, the only individual European country that can really make a difference is Germany and it is doing its bit. From here on in, though, the big decisions will be taken by the US and the EU. That is the realpolitik.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    darkage said:

Another point that has been on my mind is that we need to start accepting that the world has changed, and war is a reality again. My young son is a dual national and will be conscripted in to the Finnish army in his teenage years. This used to be a fun period of camping out in the woods for 18 months, with all sorts of exemptions, but in the future is going to become a very serious endeavour. I've got to bring him up with an understanding that one day he may have to fight and die. How to do this without scaring the hell out of him is something I am really struggling with. I have also got to be prepared to do the same if necessary. We've got to come to terms with the fact that, as a society, unfortunately we cannot wish war and violence away.

Well said and heartfelt.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,438
    Eabhal said:

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry

She's not wrong. And I'm pretty pissed this has saved Johnson. But it's very funny how many 16 part Twitter threads there have been that start with:

"This is all on Putin"

... 14 tweets...

"ARRON BANKS"
    For Johnson its only a reprieve. There is visceral anger about the No 10 'parties'. I had an unpolitical colleague bring them up last week, pretty much from nowhere. Fortunately the British public can hold more than one thought in their heads at a time, even if the media cannot.
  • Options

Training 20,000 Ukrainian troops is “very little”?

Who did more, pray?
  • Options

Who are you kidding? London is practically "Moscow West", Russian money owns a lot of UK stuff, and some of that same money is the bank account of the ruling political party.

Many warned for years that the ERG and Farage were like Putin's little helpers sowing disunity in the EU.

You do know that the UK supplied and trained the Ukraine army in the use of anti tank weaponry, which is currently playing a huge part in their ability to confront Russia
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

This is what I don't understand. Let the sanctions and some quiet but lethal assistance to the Ukrainian army do the talking. We are going to squander our moral high ground if the West keeps talking in such bloodcurdling terms. It's not going to help to get China onside or at least on the fence, and it's going to cause ordinary Russians to rally to the flag when we want them turning against their leader.

What happened to speaking softly but carrying a big stick? Sounding eminently reasonable and measured while all the time strangling the enemy's economy and resources?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Andy_JS said:

Cicero said:

Boris has done well so far IMO in terms of responding to the war in Ukraine.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_xP said:

From here on in, though, the big decisions will be taken by the US and the EU. That is the realpolitik.

Here's a thought:

Imagine if Brexit had been "a success".
    Imagine if, as brexiters hoped, the EU had post 2016 fallen apart with a number of countries leaving amid chaos with members trying to re-adopt individual markets & currencies.

Then imagine Putin invading Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1498331376181026821
    How many people did actually want the EU to fail?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,060
    nico679 said:

That column of Russian military heading to Kyiv could easily be taken out by NATO forces so it’s very frustrating that we’re just sitting and watching as they advance .

But I’m afraid we’re just going to have to sit and watch . Horrible as it is NATO can’t get involved .

I’m hoping to god that the reason that column is still there is because the Ukrainians and advisers, with experience of huge strikes on huge columns maybe in Iraq, are working out the plan to hit it hard.

The Ukrainians will have a certain amount of drones, anti tank etc and hitting it would be a massive exercise stretched along the whole route so not easy in any way.

So hoping that the delay in action is not because they can’t but because it’s a real death or glory roll of the dice as will require many many ground troops to be able to get safely in striking range and a difficult coordinated attack by air with drones and planes.

It would be the deciding battle of this war if it happened - if it failed then Russia wins as and if it succeeds then Russia cannot hide those loses and their supply lines will be gone.
  • Options

I am real.

Lesson number one in warfare: If you can't pay your troops, or feed your troops, then you can't win a war.
    So what’s you endgame? Sounds like your policy is regime change brought about by economic means. Therefore you must have thought through how the regime leaves office and it doesn’t follow the route of other regimes hanging on until the bitter end and taking people down with them.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Just seen this.

"Finnish lawmakers to discuss potential NATO membership
    Prime Minister Sanna Marin also announced that Finland would provide Ukraine with lethal aid."

https://www.politico.eu/article/finland-nato-membership-sanna-marin-ukraine-russia/
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    TimS said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

This is what I don't understand. Let the sanctions and some quiet but lethal assistance to the Ukrainian army do the talking. We are going to squander our moral high ground if the West keeps talking in such bloodcurdling terms. It's not going to help to get China onside or at least on the fence, and it's going to cause ordinary Russians to rally to the flag when we want them turning against their leader.

What happened to speaking softly but carrying a big stick? Sounding eminently reasonable and measured while all the time strangling the enemy's economy and resources?
    Politicians gonna politick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Incredible footage of ordinary unarmed Ukr peeps telling RU troops to just fuck off back to their own country.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/28/world/ukraine-russia-war#ukrainian-civilians-protest-russian-troops-who-occupied-a-coastal-city

Indeed, all he has mainly sent in so far is conscripts with limited air support.

Most of the elite Russian troops have not been sent to Kyiv. If it does not fall within a week they will be after a massive aerial bombing campaign and supported by heavy artillery and Russian tanks.

Do you still believe in the myth of the invincibility of the Russian military after what we've seen?
    As I said so far it is mainly conscripts who have been doing the fighting, the full scale of the Russian military has yet to be engaged
    This was the biggest decision of Putin's life and took months of planning, involving reducing Russia's defences in the far-east and pulling in forces from every available source for a massive mobilisation. Do you really think he told his planners to use the B-team, or is it more likely that we're seeing the limits of their capabilities?
    The B-team line is Russian propaganda (why are they doing so badly). It’s a lie. Just like the whole NATO provoking them line.

What utter rubbish.

I made quite clear I supported Hillary over Trump in 2016 unlike the late missed Plato when she was here at the time.

However a 40 mile armed Russian convoy is advancing on Kyiv, it is naive to think that the war in Ukraine is over when it has barely just begun
  • Options

Don't forget that.

I dont wnat to give up on the world or my family . /ukraine and always being on the right side of "good" and winning all the time is not as important as my family or indeed civilisation in general.i
    If we acquiesce, lie down, and let Putin get away with crushing Ukraine then there is no civilisation.

Civilisation is something that has to be defended against a madman. Even if that means we are heading into the hitherto unthinkable.

I will sacrifice my life to defend civilisation against Putin.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

darkage said:

Cicero said:

The UK saw the dangers earlier than most and, to an extent at least, acted on them
    “To an extent”?

20,000 trained Ukrainian troops since 2015 is a heck of a lot more of “an extent” than any of our European peers.

Or do people think it’s a coincidence that the Ukrainian army is not the walk-over it was in 2014?

Yes, that is the extent and it is something to be proud of. What we didn't do, and should have done, is tackle Londonograd. We clearly didn't plan for the refugeee crisis either.

However, I don't see the point in relitigating the past. What matters is what happens from here.

I am a bit on the fence on Londongrad. I hope we have done a triage between the Kremlin apparatchiks who are beyond hope, whose assets should have been frozen already, the strongly or mildly anti-Putin oligarchs who we need to keep onside, and those close to Putin but amenable to influence over whom we hang the financial sword of Damocles.
  • Options
    Is it possible that the Russians might call it a day once they get the land border to Crimea? Putin could sell that as a kind of victory and if the Ukrainians are patient they can wait for the Russian economy to collapse when surely they'll be in no position to deal with a resistance force.
  • Options

darkage said:

Cicero said:

“To an extent”?

Yes, that is the extent and it is something to be proud of. What we didn't do, and should have done, is tackle Londonograd. We clearly didn't plan for the refugeee crisis either.

However, I don't see the point in relitigating the past. What matters is what happens from here.

All that dirty money flowing into the UK has definitely tainted us. Hopefully though we can now find these property assets and deposits, and freeze them.
  • Options
    #Poland to buy undisclosed number of MQ-9A #Reaper #drones as an urgent requirement, NMD tells @JanesINTEL. Story to come... https://twitter.com/GarethJennings3/status/1498581130513199109/photo/1
  • Options

Training 20,000 Ukrainian troops is “very little”?

Who did more, pray?
    The Germans did more. They invested billions in Nord Stream 2. A project designed so that it might as (as someone here put it) have had "Fuck Ukraine" on each section of pipe casing.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

And, actually, there is one thing that the EU could do right now -- which is entirely within its grasp and which Ukraine has explicitly asked for. Immediate accession.

If the EU wants to "stand tall and strong", let it do what Ukraine has pleaded with it to do.
    That’s not possible and EU Treaties would have to be re-written. The EU is based on a legal order and new members have to go through a long winded process.

The EU can’t just rush through a new member in 24 hours . Emotionally it would be wonderful to see Ukraine in the EU but at this point in time there are of course higher priorities.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

From here on in, though, the big decisions will be taken by the US and the EU. That is the realpolitik.

Here's a thought:

Imagine if, as brexiters hoped, the EU had post 2016 fallen apart with a number of countries leaving amid chaos with members trying to re-adopt individual markets & currencies.

How many people did actually want the EU to fail?
    I complimented @Scott_xP yesterday for posting really good and interesting tweets but he cannot help lapsing back to type
  • Options
    Is there much history of invasion forces sending in their 'B' troops first?
  • Options

TimS said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Politicians gonna politick.
    It's also the truth.

These sanctions, incidentally, go far beyond those imposed on South Africa. If continued, theses sanctions will induce a partial collapse the economy - big chunks of technology and finance will cease operations.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

The effect of sanctions appears quite swift in some cases.

BREAKING: Russian billionaires Mikhail Fridman and Oleg Deripaska have broken ranks with the Kremlin and called for an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1498443028540837891

Deripaska? I've actually heard of him. He's George Osborne's mate isn't he?

And Peter Mandelson's mate before that.
    And Yeltsin's mate before *that*, probably, given that he seems to have married into the family.
    Oleg Deripaska is the one for whom the former Vice-Chairman of the Conservative Party, Lord Barker, works.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/27/conservative-peer-lord-barker-urged-quit-board-russian-firm-en-oligarch-oleg-deripaska

Big G in Wales is happy to shine the spotlight on Boris but be careful what you wish for. A man who plays tennis for a Putin-dirty £160,000 donation to the Conservative Party is on shaky ground. That donation was received the same year that Putin's men shot down a commercial airliner, killing 283 innocent civilians including 80 children.

The Conservative Party has no moral leg on which to stand over this and it will come out in due course.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pleased to hear it, but how do you know the B-team line is nonsense? Curious to know.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Don't forget that.

I dont wnat to give up on the world or my family . /ukraine and always being on the right side of "good" and winning all the time is not as important as my family or indeed civilisation in general.i
    If we acquiesce, lie down, and let Putin get away with crushing Ukraine then there is no civilisation.

Civilisation is something that has to be defended against a madman. Even if that means we are heading into the hitherto unthinkable.

We let mass murder continue for years in the 1990s in Bosnia and Rwanda and Serbia and the Hutus were not a nuclear armed Russia.

If you want to go off and fight for Ukraine do, Biden won't, he is even more isolationist than Bill Clinton was then and if the US does not engage militarily then nor will NATO
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Andy_JS said:

Somebody on Twitter this morning claims they are owned/funded by Gazprom
    Lots of rethinking going on at both ends of the spectrum. Finnish opinion polls suggest a complete reversal of attitudes to NATO from solid opposition to solid support. Swedish polls also moving that way. Here, the Morning Star is highlighting campaigners' claims of Russian use of illegal cluster munitions. Sabine Wageknecht, who leads the communist wing of Die Linke in Germany, has apologised for mistakenly thinking that Putin wouldn't invade and says she is rethinking her attitude towards Russia. And so on across the continent. A side-effect of all this may be a pretty broad consensus across Western Europe on the need for solid defence policies. Not quite what Putin had in mind, I imagine.
  • Options

I do think it incumbent on him to prepare for speeches like the one he made in the Ukrainian church. Off the cuff and rambling isn't good enough, and it certainly isn't Churchillian.

It was lucky there was film crew there to record his spontaneous act...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

#Poland to buy undisclosed number of MQ-9A #Reaper #drones as an urgent requirement, NMD tells @JanesINTEL. Story to come... https://twitter.com/GarethJennings3/status/1498581130513199109/photo/1

Surprised that is being announced publicly. Might it be to pressurise.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I am real.

So what’s you endgame? Sounds like your policy is regime change brought about by economic means. Therefore you must have thought through how the regime leaves office and it doesn’t follow the route of other regimes hanging on until the bitter end and taking people down with them.
    Don't worry about BP.

Long ago, when I worked for an oil major, I was surprised by the relaxed attitude when the new AdmiralGeneral of some country kicked the oil company out.

A manager pointed out that this happens all the time, and that when they went back (after the oil industry there collapsed, and the next AdmiralGeneral stepped over the corpse of the previous incumbent), the lost money was figured into the price paid by said country.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Scott_xP said:

Here's a thought:

Nothing changes.

Go back and look at what has happened over the last few weeks. Coherent EU action driving change has been a myth. In almost every case - sending arms and equipment, introducing economic sanctions, closing airspace - it has been individual countries that have both driven it and actually done it with the EU only following up when it is already a fait accompli. The closure of airspace is a classic example with Brussels only adopting an EU wide ban when most countries that mattered had already done it individually.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,040
    Heathener said:

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry

That's shameful.

Appalling.
    But true.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_xP said:

I do think it incumbent on him to prepare for speeches like the one he made in the Ukrainian church. Off the cuff and rambling isn't good enough, and it certainly isn't Churchillian.

The reverse, I think. His speech to the House had none of the hallmarks of Boris. Indeed, he struggled to get the lines out at times. So either Boris is reversing the habit of the last 20 years, or he's accepted help with the speeches.
  • Options
    "Google Europe
    @googleeurope

Due to the ongoing war in Ukraine, we’re blocking YouTube channels connected to RT and Sputnik across Europe, effective immediately. It’ll take time for our systems to fully ramp up. Our teams continue to monitor the situation around the clock to take swift action.
    8:15 AM · Mar 1, 2022"

https://twitter.com/googleeurope/status/1498572529409179648
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Cicero said:

Technicality as I recall Oliver Dowden mentioned it first in public from the Conservative benches , but no matter.

Your defence of Johnson is becoming tiresome. Johnson has got a lot right, primarily by not getting much wrong. You seem to want to bolster him (personally) at every opportunity, and quite often at the expense of others (mainly the EU and Biden) who have also to date called it mostly right, if on occasions, a little late. Mind you, the EU have called the refugee crisis early.

Personally I don't approve of Johnson and Truss's grandstanding. No one else in Government, particularly Ben Wallace, has embarked on this course of action. Nonetheless, Sandpit, who has a direct interest in Ukraine confirm that the Ukrainian people appreciate Johnson's performance.

I am a Johnson skeptic, and grudgingly accept the job he has done so far is OK. However, ss Mr Johnson is representing our nation on the World stage, I do think it incumbent on him to prepare for speeches like the one he made in the Ukrainian church. Off the cuff and rambling isn't good enough, and it certainly isn't Churchillian.
    I give credit where it is due

I am sorry if you find it tiresome, but we are at war and frankly his popularity both in Ukraine and the Baltic States is widely acknowledged and his spontaneous standing ovation by the congregation at the Ukrainian Church in London was genuine
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Heathener said:

Don't forget that.

We never nuked Beijing over the Uighurs or held Tel Aviv to account over Palestine..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Andy_JS said:

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry

There's a time and a place and this isn't it.
    There’s a time and a place for honest, competent, diligent and dispassionate leadership, as well - and this is it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Indeed. That way more people - for example - in Ukraine - could see it, not just the immediate congregation.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Really helpful..

Anna Soubry
    @Anna_Soubry

A really helpful comment. So glad she is no longer part of our public life.
    It's strange - I wouldn't say I was a fan of either, for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't pick this moment to tweet about it. What is she doing these days - has she gone back to the law?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

That’s not possible and EU Treaties would have to be re-written. The EU is based on a legal order and new members have to go through a long winded process.

The EU can’t just rush through a new member in 24 hours . Emotionally it would be wonderful to see Ukraine in the EU but at this point in time there are of course higher priorities.

Indeed. Perhaps some sort of advanced candidate status could be had.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Surprised that is being announced publicly. Might it be to pressurise.
    Given the intensity of feeling I am getting from Polish friends, I wonder whether the EU/Mig29 thing was a case of the Poles saying "We are going to do it. Follow us or complain"
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Don't forget that.

Well said. Loads of likes, deservedly.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,040

Two of my disliked teams in trouble because they sold their souls assets to Russians. Hope they both go bust, then it’s just Glasgow Rangers to get rid of.
This discussion has been closed.