Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Le Pen and Zemmour still haven’t got enough nominations – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,719
edited March 2022 in General
imageLe Pen and Zemmour still haven’t got enough nominations – politicalbetting.com

Marine Le Pen is still the second favourite in the French Presidential betting although the time is running out for her to get the required 500 nominations. Zemmour is in the same position. Nomination finally close on February 4th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    edited February 2022
    Quick typo Nominations close March 4th not Feb 4th.

Also doesn't someone have enough spare nominations that he can push both Zemmour and Le Pen across the line - if so required.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    FPT:

https://twitter.com/komadovsky/status/1498401018555551747

"‼️#Ukraine will receive 70 more aircraft from NATO and the EU countries, says to the Ukrainian parliament.

Su-25, Mig-29 from Poland, Bulgaria, and Slovakia.

Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (MiG-29) - 16
    Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (Su-25) - 14
    Poland 🇵🇱 (MiG-29) - 28
    Slovakia 🇸🇰 (MiG-29) - 12"

It is equivalent to 30% of Ukraine's pre-war airforce. 100% of Bulgaria's remaining MiGs and Su-25s, 100% of Slovakia's MiGs, ~130% of Poland's MiGs (I assume training/display craft quickly repurposed). No doubt this was underpinned by US promises of backfilling, but shows just how seriously they're taking this.

One of the main Ukr successes over the past week has been changing the narrative from one of certain imminent defeat (remember the German diplomat who said there was no point sending aid, because they'll be defeated in hours), to one where the West sees that military aid can make a significant difference.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Eh, it's not like anyone was likely to beat Macron anyway, and certainly not now. He doesn't inspire much cuddly feeling, but left nor right seems able to get near him.

The lack of anonymity is an interesting one I had not picked up before, in what was already a tough system. A large number of signatures being needed is one thing, but a select group including a geographical spread, that is next level.

Shows how much easier it is to become British PM.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    eek said:

Also doesn't someone have enough spare nominations that he can push both Zemmour and Le Pen across the line - if so required.

Pecresse's camp was going to give the nominations to Zemmour but if Le Pen too fails to get the number needed she won't bother as she would have the right pretty much to herself
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    edited February 2022
    FPT:
    This is one of those alternate opinions they sometimes publish - it's not the Guardian's opinion.

Every other Guardian opinion piece on the Ukraine is calling out Putin as the sole cause.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1498253075441754114

Usyk joins Kyiv's defence. Can't we get Putin in a room with Usyk, Lomachenko, and the Klitschko brothers (all 4 of them millionaires many times over and signed up to territorial defence, 3 in Kyiv) and resolve this in a more civil manner?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Eh, it's not like anyone was likely to beat Macron anyway, and certainly not now. He doesn't inspire much cuddly feeling, but left nor right seems able to get near him.

The lack of anonymity is an interesting one I had not picked up before, in what was already a tough system. A large number of signatures being needed is one thing, but a select group including a geographical spread, that is next level.

Macron is still likely to be re elected in the presidential election but a long way to go.

Also, even if he is Les Republicains may fancy their chances in the legislative elections in June still
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Chameleon said:

Usyk joins Kyiv's defence. Can't we get Putin in a room with Usyk, Lomachenko, and the Klitschko brothers (all 4 of them millionaires many times over and signed up to territorial defence, 3 in Kyiv) and resolve this in a more civil manner?

Sorry if I am being dim, but who is Usyk? a celebrity?
  • Options
    Looking at last time Le Pen validated with a week to go and ended up 127 over the line.

Dupont-Aignan managed it 10 days to go and ended up 207 over the line.

Not sure if Zemmour had an equivalent last time.

Sadly the wiki page for 2017 doesn't include a chart like 2017 showing the rate of progress, to see if they had late surges.

Zemmour has definitely picked up the pace, Dupont-Aignan looks on track, but at present rate of progress Le Pen looks like falling short. Needs a bump.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_French_presidential_election#Sponsorships
  • Options
    Why hasn't Macron formally declared his candidature?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    eek said:

And end up with Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944
    Chameleon said:

FPT:

"‼️#Ukraine will receive 70 more aircraft from NATO and the EU countries, says to the Ukrainian parliament.

Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (Su-25) - 14
    Poland 🇵🇱 (MiG-29) - 28

It is equivalent to 30% of Ukraine's pre-war airforce. 100% of Bulgaria's remaining MiGs and Su-25s, 100% of Slovakia's MiGs, ~130% of Poland's MiGs (I assume training/display craft quickly repurposed). No doubt this was underpinned by US promises of backfilling, but shows just how seriously they're taking this.

One of the main Ukr successes over the past week has been changing the narrative from one of certain imminent defeat (remember the German diplomat who said there was no point sending aid, because they'll be defeated in hours), to one where the West sees that military aid can make a significant difference.

The Bulgarians said no, and the Slovakians only have a handful airworthy.
  • Options

Why hasn't Macron formally declared his candidature?

He has and has the nominations, for some reason the Wikipedia page that was taken form lists him separately.
  • Options
    FPT
    Scott_xP said:

How on earth is it that the smirking traitor is still not offering sanctuary to Ukranian refugees? "Up to 100,000" she says. If they have a family member here and have a g in their name and the border force guard is in the mood to not be a git.

We should match the EU countries and offer people a 3 year leave to remain.

After Germany and Poland, now France offers free train travel for Ukrainian refugees. https://twitter.com/jpfarandou/status/1498369246493085700
    That's cool. It means they can get from the Ukrainian border to the Channel for free.

NOW OPEN THE BLOODY DOORS BORIS!!
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Professional Boxer
  • Options
    The UKs response to Russians invasion of Ukraine 🇺🇦 A thread. Some are saying the UK isn't doing enough. So I'll let you decide for yourselves. The UK has been training Ukrainian troops since 2015.

https://twitter.com/thatfoxxybloke/status/1498328163570667525
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,917
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Macron is still likely to be re elected in the presidential election but a long way to go.

Also, even if he is Les Republicains may fancy their chances in the legislative elections in June still
    Pecresse's poll ratings have collapsed.

Today's Harris poll has her fifth on 11%, barely half what Fillon polled and polling even behind Melanchon.

She loses a hypothetical run off with Macron 61-39 now compared with 52-48 a couple of months ago.

Her only hope must be for BOTH Le Pen and Zemmour to fail to be nominated and even then she may be in a fight with Melanchon for second place in the first round.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

World Heavyweight boxing Champion
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    edited February 2022
    Chameleon said:

But Vlad has Steven. Once his corset is laced up he can take anyone.

• Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Any particular reason for that? Not one of the Putin lovers is she?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's cool. It means they can get from the Ukrainian border to the Channel for free.

Only if she was sure you were paying for the electricity.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

World Heavyweight boxing Champion
    Probably lose his titles for not fighting a challenger or something.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I just found out today about Aleksandr Dugin, the author of Putin's 'Mein Kampf': Foundations Of Geopolitics.

I'm guessing I'm just a really slow starter, and everyone else has already heard of him and his book?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

If anyone is in any doubt about the malign intentions of Putin and the current regime in Russia, they should investigate this book and its influence.
    From wiki

Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad Oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term "Moscow–Berlin axis".[9]
    France should be encouraged to form a bloc with Germany, as they both have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".[9]
    The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.[9]
    Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".[9]
    Estonia should be given to Germany's sphere of influence.[9]
    Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian–Russian sphere.[9]
    Poland should be granted a "special status" in the Eurasian sphere.[9]
    Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece – "Orthodox collectivist East" – will unite with "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[9]
    Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible
  • Options

Chameleon said:

And Gerard Depardieu - which saddens me greatly because I thought he was an outstanding actor. Now I just think he is a thick ex-French twat.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,028
    ” Petal" mines aka "Lepestok" are banned worldwide and prohibited under the Geneva Conventions.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1498404403279183873
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Only if she was sure you were paying for the electricity.
    A cost of everything value of nothing kind of person perhaps.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Those would be Zemmour and Le Pen, whose polling is less affected. France isn't alone in the populist right having a long track record of praising Putin. It doesn't seem to have damaged them electorally so far, but may put a low ceiling on it.

• Options

The UKs response to Russians invasion of Ukraine 🇺🇦 A thread. Some are saying the UK isn't doing enough. So I'll let you decide for yourselves. The UK has been training Ukrainian troops since 2015.

https://twitter.com/thatfoxxybloke/status/1498328163570667525

There's absolutely zero doubt that Wallace & department were, if not the best, one of the best in the world in militarily supporting Ukraine. Interesting to hear of multiple UK-Ukr-Pol calls over the past week or so as well.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

I just found out today about Aleksandr Dugin, the author of Putin's 'Mein Kampf': Foundations Of Geopolitics.

I'm guessing I'm just a really slow starter, and everyone else has already heard of him and his book?

If anyone is in any doubt about the malign intentions of Putin and the current regime in Russia, they should investigate this book and its influence.
    From wiki

Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad Oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term "Moscow–Berlin axis".[9]
    France should be encouraged to form a bloc with Germany, as they both have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".[9]
    The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.[9]
    Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".[9]
    Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian–Russian sphere.[9]
    Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece – "Orthodox collectivist East" – will unite with "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[9]
    Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible
    "resolving the Ukrainian problem,"

Sounds frighteningly like 'resolving the Jewish problem'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2022
    Its fake news. As in not from present day and not from Ukraine.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,696
    edited February 2022
    Stalin vs Finland = Putin vs Ukraine?

First time as tragedy, second time as farce?
  • Options

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

The terminology used in the victory essay accidentally published yesterday was 'solving the Ukrainian question for future generations'. Which sounds no better to be honest.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Someone on here (can’t remember who, sorry) suggested that it was down to her trying on Zemmour’s Great Replacement guff for size. Doesn’t seem to have done Zemmour much harm it has to be said.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited February 2022
    glw said:

Chameleon said:

And Gerard Depardieu - which saddens me greatly because I thought he was an outstanding actor. Now I just think he is a thick ex-French twat.
    I skimmed that and for a moment there I thought you were saying that Steven Seagal "was an outstanding actor", which would quite possibly be the most preposterous thing ever posted on PB.
    I may often be wildly wrong in my views but even I am not that mad. :)
  • Options

Thanks for that - maybe I am a bit naive !!!!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,688
    edited February 2022
    fpt for @IshmaelZ and his Liz Truss Obsession

++++

You have some weird creepy man problem with her. I suspect you fancy her and it disturbs you

She is a very mildly charismatic Tory lady politician who sometimes makes bad (and sometimes good) PR choices. She is not a notable duffer, like Gav Williamson or Grayling. She actually conveys a certain competence, and she annoys/charms others abroad - they certainly notice her, which can't be said for a lot of British Foreign Ministers.

Get off her case or, at least, be less *weird* about it

Successful Tory female politicians with a certain attractiveness have always had this effect on middle aged men. Since Thatch. She evoked some very strange feelings. Oedipal masochism in the switchy posh (spank me Nanny!) basic let-me-suckle-you stuff from the confused cucky left liberal middle classes, and resentful rape play fantasies in working class alphas.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

"Dye Hard"?

Beard dye is ALWAYS a bad look. As are John Lennon hippie glasses . . . unless you're John Lennon . . .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Reads like a completely insane Russian version of Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Reads like a completely insane Russian version of Dominic Cummings.
    Too coherent and concise for Cummings.
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Someone on here (can’t remember who, sorry) suggested that it was down to her trying on Zemmour’s Great Replacement guff on for size. Doesn’t seem to have done Zemmour much harm it has to be said.
    Pecresse's structural problem is that she can't go too far to the right without shipping centrist votes to Macron.

More fundamentally, she may not be all that good at stump politics.

One event rarely defines an event as complex as the French presidential election. But the poor performance and sharp right turn of the centre-right candidate Valérie Pécresse in her supposedly make-or-break rally on Sunday has thrown the future of her campaign into doubt...

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1493491968026066946?s=20&t=I0mUxD8Jn1phUN6RJzUE4w
  • Options

I think this one's real..

@JimmySecUK
    Two members of the Ukrainian civil resistance "acquire" a new Russian tank.🇺🇦

Many Ukrainian men have military experience, and as much Russian equipment is familiar to them it's not difficult to press captured materiel into service.👇
    https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1498408012138127361
  • Options

Chameleon said:

He WAS an outstanding French actor. By far the greatest of his generation. He had an incredible back story from the slums of France. His acting in Jean De Florette is some of the greatest in French cinema. Fuck, all cinema

But his demons defeated him in the end. He is now a fat, near-unemployable-alcoholic, mourning his favourite son who killed himself

A melancholy narrative
  • Options
    Leon said:

++++

You have some weird creepy man problem with her. I suspect you fancy her and it disturbs you

She is a very mildly charismatic Tory lady politician who sometimes makes bad (and sometimes good) PR choices. She is not a notable duffer, like Gav Williamson or Grayling. She actually conveys a certain competence, and she annoys/charms others abroad - they certainly notice her, which can't be said for a lot of British Foreign Ministers.

Successful Tory female politicians with a certain attractiveness have always had this effect on middle aged men. Since Thatch. She evoked some very strange feelings. Oedipal masochism in the switchy posh (spank me Nanny!) basic let-me-suckle-you stuff from the confused cucky left liberal middle classes, and resentful rape play fantasies in working class alphas.

She also bothers Putin too and, strangely, I've seen the C-word used about her twice today on a WhatsApp group of friends - both Lefties.

It's hard to conclude it's not a form of misogyny that's unmasked when strong-willed women assert themselves who don't share their politics.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

The terminology used in the victory essay accidentally published yesterday was 'solving the Ukrainian question for future generations'. Which sounds no better to be honest.
    Stalin had a semi-final Ukrainian solution: Holodomor, the Great Famine of 1932-33

Putin is a bush-league Stalin, similar to how Mussolini was a 2-bit Caesar.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

glw said:

Chameleon said:

I skimmed that and for a moment there I thought you were saying that Steven Seagal "was an outstanding actor", which would quite possibly be the most preposterous thing ever posted on PB.
    I agree about Depardieu though, he was once a very fine actor.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Seems to be going quite well in the US

Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics"
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

How interesting that "cutting off Britain from Europe" is a key priority. Almost the sort of the thing you might spend a long time working on..

If these were goals, Putin has failed disastrously in the last few days on every one.

-The "Moscow-Berlin" axis is now about as close it was in 1943

-Finland is now about to join NATO

-The Baltics, Poland and Romania are closer to NATO, and further from "special status", than ever

-Greece is now moving as far away from Russia as during the height of the cold war

-Ukraine is now understood globally as a byword for indepedence and distinctiveness.

Oh dear !

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    Starlink's dishes and hardware has arrived in the Ukraine

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1498392515262746630/photo/1
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Must be a bit of a blow for Dugin to see his life's work being undermined as Germany turn against Russia and Ukraine humiliate Russian troops in a bodged invasion.

Hopefully these ideas will go the way of the scrapheap; a tale of woe for future Russian generations.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

He WAS an outstanding French actor. By far the greatest of his generation. He had an incredible back story from the slums of France. His acting in Jean De Florette is some of the greatest in French cinema. Fuck, all cinema

But his demons defeated him in the end. He is now a fat, near-unemployable-alcoholic, mourning his favourite son who killed himself

A melancholy narrative
    Sounds like the sought of sad tale that'd make for a french movie.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

A melancholy narrative
    Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources are a couple of great films. The books are great too - rare examples of book and film adaptation both hitting the same heights.
  • Options

Pecresse's structural problem is that she can't go too far to the right without shipping centrist votes to Macron.

One event rarely defines an event as complex as the French presidential election. But the poor performance and sharp right turn of the centre-right candidate Valérie Pécresse in her supposedly make-or-break rally on Sunday has thrown the future of her campaign into doubt...

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1493491968026066946?s=20&t=I0mUxD8Jn1phUN6RJzUE4w

She's making the same mistake Casado made in Spain - he tried to outdo VOX and ended up losing votes to Citizens and PSOE.

The more she tries to sound like Le Pen and Zemmour, the stronger the attraction of Macron for centrist voters.
  • Options
    A good thread gathering lots of the observations I've seen made on here over the past week or so about how completely Ukraine is dominating the information war, and why Russia is constrained in the infowar fightback: https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/1498355174649311232
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    Leon said:

++++

I've always found her rather attractive.
  • Options
    What happened to PB's recent Putinist bot? Banned or just gave it up?

Or just leaving it to the usual suspects, as per usual?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,066
    If word reaches the Russian army of the financial armageddon on its way could we see mass desertions.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Chameleon said:

FPT:

Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (Su-25) - 14
    Poland 🇵🇱 (MiG-29) - 28

Surely they have to throw something at that miles-long armoured column? And soon.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Hmmmm...

Getting a "Foundations of the 19th Cent." vibe - the title is almost certainly a reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundations_of_the_Nineteenth_Century
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Stewart_Chamberlain
  • Options
    stodge said:

She's making the same mistake Casado made in Spain - he tried to outdo VOX and ended up losing votes to Citizens and PSOE.

The more she tries to sound like Le Pen and Zemmour, the stronger the attraction of Macron for centrist voters.
    She will not beat Macron from the centre, he already has that locked up.

Her only chance is to hold the Les Republicains core vote to get her to the runoff and tack right to get the Zemmour, Le Pen and Dupoint Aignan vote and hope many of the leftwing vote eg Melenchon's, stay home rather than vote for Macron
  • Options

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

How interesting that "cutting off Britain from Europe" is a key priority. Almost the sort of the thing you might spend a long time working on..

If these were goals, Putin has failed disastrously in the last few days on every one.

-The "Moscow-Berlin" axis is now about as close it was in 1943

-Finland is now about to join NATO

-The Baltics, Poland and Romania are closer to NATO, and further from "special status", than ever

-Greece is now moving as far away from Russia as during the height of the cold war

-Ukraine is now understood globally as a byword for indepedence and distinctiveness.

Oh dear !

Putin is unusually obsessed by Britain.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The moral story is say what yo think with passion, conviction and ideally logically coherent arguments and convert people to your way of thinking, rather than focused on positioning/triangulation or whatever you call it.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in this?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

I have to read Dugin. He sounds fun

And Russia has successfully detached the UK from the EU, tho the consequent formation of a new English speaking global military alliance, AUKUS, is not on his wishlist, I see

Also, this bit doesn't seem to be going especially well:

China, which represents a danger to Russia, "must, to the maximum degree possible, be dismantled". Dugin suggests that Russia start by taking Tibet–Xinjiang–Inner Mongolia–Manchuria as a security belt.[1] Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction – Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia" as geopolitical compensation.[9]
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,186
    FPT
    Correction:
    OldKingCole Posts: 26,596
    5:57PM
    Last time 'Russia" as then the Soviet Union, invaded Finland it go a rather bloody nose, though it ended up with Vyborg, until then the second city of Finland.
    However the Finns attacked again during WWII, took Vyborg but did NOT press the siege of Leningrad. If they had, Leningrad might not have held out.

Vyburg was returned to Finland after the war since Finland was treated as an 'enemy combatant'.

No it wasn't. Viipuri (aka Vyborg) was kept by the Soviet Union and is still part of Russia.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Must be a bit of a blow for Dugin to see his life's work being undermined as Germany turn against Russia and Ukraine humiliate Russian troops in a bodged invasion.

Hopefully these ideas will go the way of the scrapheap; a tale of woe for future Russian generations.
    It reminds me of the Holy Roman Empire. Europe has had a fairly bonkers history, with all sorts of peculiar alliances and empires.

His dismissive verdict on the UK isn't too far from how the US sees us either to be honest. But frankly, being cut off from his ludicrous vision of Europe would be a lucky escape.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

And Russia has successfully detached the UK from the EU, tho the consequent formation of a new English speaking global military alliance, AUKUS, is not on his wishlist, I see

China, which represents a danger to Russia, "must, to the maximum degree possible, be dismantled". Dugin suggests that Russia start by taking Tibet–Xinjiang–Inner Mongolia–Manchuria as a security belt.[1] Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction – Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia" as geopolitical compensation.[9]
    Dugin is one of those super intelligent intellectuals who go down rabbit holes and end up as complete loonies.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    eek said:

There is a centrist, Bayrou, who has got 650 officials to join his 'Sponsors Bank' promising to give endorsements to any candidate on 10%+ who needs them. Remains to be seen if they do actually sign on the dotted line though.

Much as I dislike Le Pen's politics, it would be rather absurd if she didn't even make the start line. Zemmour too.
  • Options

If word reaches the Russian army of the financial armageddon on its way could we see mass desertions.

Maybe, hopefully. However, the Russian command chain will do all it can to stop that message getting to the men and if it does get to a few, will they believe it? and if they do what to surrender, they may not get a chance.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091
    Chameleon said:

A good thread gathering lots of the observations I've seen made on here over the past week or so about how completely Ukraine is dominating the information war, and why Russia is constrained in the infowar fightback: https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/1498355174649311232

Thanks for posting the link . A really excellent thread and the examples shown really get you thinking about just how important the info war is .
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    slade said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Dugin is one of those super intelligent intellectuals who go down rabbit holes and end up as complete loonies.
    He also looks like a loony ( apologies to John of that ilk).
  • Options

What happened to PB's recent Putinist bot? Banned or just gave it up?

Or just leaving it to the usual suspects, as per usual?

Banned.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    glw said:

Chameleon said:

Give me half an hour…
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    eek said:

Bayrou announced that he signed for her over the weekend. He claims to have enough nominations to offer to Le Pen and Zemmour as well as Dupont-Aignan, all of whom would conveniently split the vote to the right of Macron.
  • Options
    You know, we’re rapidly approaching the point that I want Ukraine in NATO, as should we all, not to help Ukraine but because they are hard as nails and I want them to have my back.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

The moral story is say what yo think with passion, conviction and ideally logically coherent arguments and convert people to your way of thinking, rather than focused on positioning/triangulation or whatever you call it.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in this?
    Glad you said logical coherence was an ideal, as I'd dispute it was necessary.

But I do think today's politicians overthink things, as the unfortunate success of simplistic, brash figures can demonstrate. There's plenty to suggest that people will support or oppose the same policy depending on who is proposing it, and while there's plenty to be cynical about with that, one thing it says to me is that politicians actually have a far better chance of being real leaders than they think. They can deliver visions, even inspire, despite our cynicism, because we want to be.

Advance a cause well and you can sway opinion, not just bow to it, or listen to some big data nerd about crafting some PR message that will swing you a crucial 0.25% in upper west nowheresville amongst unemployed kazakhstani housewives with a background in metallurgy or whatever.

A political campaign is a story, tell it well and you have a shot - the best and most effective ones will have substance and good ideas to drive them as well.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498416657672323073

"⚡️Zelensky: In five days of invasion, Ukraine was struck by 56 missile strikes, 113 cruise missiles were fired.

The complete closure of the sky for Russian missiles, planes and helicopters must be considered."

I suspect that this is where Zelenskyy's asking for things previously regarded as miracles approach runs out of road.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    glw said:

glw said:

Chameleon said:

Which reminds me, the Dinklage version of Cyrano is absolute pants.

Not his fault (& the rest of the cast are pretty good too), but the script is awful - Cyrano is barely more verbally dexterous than Christian. Utterly lacking in panache.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498416657672323073

"⚡️Zelensky: In five days of invasion, Ukraine was struck by 56 missile strikes, 113 cruise missiles were fired.

The complete closure of the sky for Russian missiles, planes and helicopters must be considered."

I suspect that this is where Zelenskyy's asking for things previously regarded as miracles approach runs out of road.

I’m gobsmacked at him being given fresh aircraft. If we in NATO are comfortable with that then let’s give them Sky Sabre missiles from us and some US Patriots. That should clear the airspace.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    biggles said:

You know, we’re rapidly approaching the point that I want Ukraine in NATO, as should we all, not to help Ukraine but because they are hard as nails and I want them to have my back.

Which while Russia has troops in there means we are then at war with Russia, leading to WW3 and potential nuclear war
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

FPT:

Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (Su-25) - 14
    Poland 🇵🇱 (MiG-29) - 28

Surely they have to throw something at that miles-long armoured column? And soon.
    I was wondering about that. Might depend on what they heard at the "peace talks". If they take out that column it will force events but in what way?
  • Options
    biggles said:

As you were happy, a few days ago, to die in a nuclear exchange which would likely destroy civilisation and kill tens of millions, you'll forgive me for not agreeing with you.

Ukraine can join NATO the day Russia joins NATO as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

Hmmmm...

Getting a "Foundations of the 19th Cent." vibe - the title is almost certainly a reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundations_of_the_Nineteenth_Century
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Stewart_Chamberlain
    It's easy to scoff at these books, but they have seriously influenced global history for the last couple of centuries

Obvioiusly: Marx and Engels on Marxism &c

Slightly less obviously: Gobineau, Darwin, Nietszche and Houston Chamberlain: major influences on Hitler and Nazism

Modern anti-Semitism and general racism is often reliant on the works of a rather obscure but arguably brilliant Californian professor called Kevin Macdonald. His books (I promise) are genuinely eye-opening and challenging. I am sure he is a personal anti-Semite and I reject most of what he says. But not all. He is bloody clever and would be world famous, I suspect, if his political viewpoint wasn't so toxic (for entirely understandable reasons). I remember reading that on the retirement of the great Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohamad one book was found by his official bed: a book by Kevin Macdonald

And now we see the same process with the Russian nationalists. This guy Dugin
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

FPT:

Bulgaria 🇧🇬 (Su-25) - 14
    Poland 🇵🇱 (MiG-29) - 28

Honestly think we can't be far away from the US 'gifting' Ukraine some drones, controlled suspiciously close to the Polish border. A few surgical strikes would devastate the Russian offensive.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

FPT
    Correction:

OldKingCole Posts: 26,596
    5:57PM
    Last time 'Russia" as then the Soviet Union, invaded Finland it go a rather bloody nose, though it ended up with Vyborg, until then the second city of Finland.
    However the Finns attacked again during WWII, took Vyborg but did NOT press the siege of Leningrad. If they had, Leningrad might not have held out.

Vyburg was returned to Finland after the war since Finland was treated as an 'enemy combatant'.

No it wasn't. Viipuri (aka Vyborg) was kept by the Soviet Union and is still part of Russia.
    The last sentence in OKC's post almost acknowledges that since Finland was treated as an 'enemy combatant'.

I think it was simply a typo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Which while Russia has troops in there means we are then at war with Russia, leading to WW3 and potential nuclear war
    Yes, it’s obvious to anyone with a reading age of 8 that I wrote that to mean “after the end of this when Russia backs down”.
  • Options
    EPG said:

eek said:

Bayrou announced that he signed for her over the weekend. He claims to have enough nominations to offer to Le Pen and Zemmour as well as Dupont-Aignan, all of whom would conveniently split the vote to the right of Macron.
    France has second ballot not FPTP elections so provided one of them still comes second to Macron it matters little
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

As I commented on the previous thread. The bad guys wrote a detailed plan and made it available for purchase. Yet everyone keeps acting shocked when they execute one of the steps in the plan.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

glw said:

Chameleon said:

Which reminds me, the Dinklage version of Cyrano is absolute pants.

Not his fault (& the rest of the cast are pretty good too), but the script is awful - Cyrano is barely more verbally dexterous than Christian. Utterly lacking in panache.
    The National did the score, though. Was that any good?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is Matt trying to terrify Putin ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    It's also filled with batshit numerology and other mystical signifiers.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

From wiki

He sounds like a tw@t.
  • Options
    "Successful Tory female politicians"

Is the Right Hon. Liz Truss MP really in this category?

Granted, she IS (currently) Foreign Secretary, but under recent Tory administrations this has become something of a joke office? As epitomized when it was held by that great comedian, Boris Johnson.

Of interest mainly for the Big House that comes with the job?

Liz Truss is barely making news in the UK, even in the throes of a first-rate international crisis. She's virtually invisible in the US right now, as is Boris Johnson.

• Options
    Alistair said:

It's also filled with batshit numerology and other mystical signifiers.

Batshit has caused quite enough trouble over the last couple of years already.
  • Options
    stodge said:

biggles said:

As you were happy, a few days ago, to die in a nuclear exchange which would likely destroy civilisation and kill tens of millions, you'll forgive me for not agreeing with you.

Ukraine can join NATO the day Russia joins NATO as far as I'm concerned.
    “Happy”? No. “Willing”? Yes.

Ignore the line of whether a country is in NATO or not for a minute and ask a simple question - would you ever be willing to militarily oppose a country with nuclear weapons because it was doing evil? At some point, I would, because bullies mustn’t win. Perhaps you would not.
This discussion has been closed.