Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Starmer still has a 30%+ net approval lead over Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    @CarlottaVance I thought it was every EU country?
  • Scott_xP said:

Russians are conducting airdrops southwest of Kyiv https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497688481958699011/photo/1

Marcel Dirsus
    @marceldirsus
    I’ve deleted an earlier tweet about paratroopers over Kyiv because they might not actually be paratroopers. Shouldn’t have shared it. My bad.
    https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1497692056537354241
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338

Germany shortly to be added to the list.....if Denmark & Sweden follow....

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ukraine-aviation-situation-updates/

Come on France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Norway, etc... what's keeping you?
  • IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

I think this is really good news..

@visegrad24·20m

"We are shocked that the Ukrainians have so many weapons.

We have no desire to fight against the Ukrainian people,"

Chechen leader Kadyrov

Commentators say Kadyrov means he wouldn’t fight against the Ukrainian people but would with “Neo-Nazi Ukrainians”

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497666363871182850

The material is reworked, effects from Instagram have been added, and his statements are cut off old statements that someone pasted on and that do not even match the movement of the mouth. Original video with Kadyrov, from which the frame and his lips are taken here:
    https://youtu.be/rwyfOOTJNpE?t=4
    yes a deep fake
    Is that the third or fourth fake posted here just today? It would be nice if people waited to see if things are genuine before doing the cut ‘n paste
    We're quite good at spotting each other's mistakes and correcting them fairly swiftly.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504

nico679 said:

Boeing are effectively putting a plane that is not airworthy into our skies.

No other commercial airliner has an inherent design fault where you need sensors and extra pilot training to stop it crashing.

I am no fan of Boeing and they deserve to be severely censured for the 737 Max debacle but no modern plane can fly without "sensors and extra pilot training".
    Yet the principal cause of the debacle was the company’s desperation to avoid their changes leading to the cost of any extra pilot training.

The original point is a fair one - essentially the new engines are heavier, increasing the risk of a pitch-up stall significantly enough that Boeing decided the plane needed a new override system to help the pilots drive the nose down. Something other planes don’t have or need.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

@visegrad24·20m

Chechen leader Kadyrov

Commentators say Kadyrov means he wouldn’t fight against the Ukrainian people but would with “Neo-Nazi Ukrainians”

The material is reworked, effects from Instagram have been added, and his statements are cut off old statements that someone pasted on and that do not even match the movement of the mouth. Original video with Kadyrov, from which the frame and his lips are taken here:
    yes a deep fake
    Is that the third or fourth fake posted here just today? It would be nice if people waited to see if things are genuine before doing the cut ‘n paste
    In fairness, it's hard for the lay person to tell if they're fake - which is the whole idea of course.

Despite all the positive reports of Ukrainian resistance and Russian ineptitude, I am steeling myself for the prospect that Ukraine falls within the next week.

I do so much hope I am wrong.
    If it doesn't, then we have to assume that the Russian army deliberately sabotaged its own efforts. Because however determined the Ukrainians are, they're outnumbered 2-1, they haven't got remotely the resources (financial or materiel) of Russia, and they're facing an attack on all fronts when most of their army is tied down on just one of them.

However you cut those facts, they all point one way.

If Ukraine wins, or even holds out for two weeks, something truly extraordinary will have happened.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,624
    edited February 2022

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

@visegrad24·20m

Chechen leader Kadyrov

yes a deep fake
    In fairness, it's hard for the lay person to tell if they're fake - which is the whole idea of course.

Despite all the positive reports of Ukrainian resistance and Russian ineptitude, I am steeling myself for the prospect that Ukraine falls within the next week.

I think the best course of action is to just ignore twitter. Combination of misinformation and fog of war is going to lead to huge number of takes which turn out to be untrue.
    A statement which is always true. I deleted it about three years ago. Highly recommend it. I would miss the odd funny thing, but I get sent them anyway if they are that good.
  • Scott_xP said:

This appears very much to be a government minister suggesting that refugees fleeing a warzone should apply for a seasonal worker programme. https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1497688909983064067/photo/1

Boris live just now has said he is aware of fake news on the Internet on refugees and the UK will be welcoming them into the country
    Ah well, if Boris said it, it must be true.
    He certainly did say it and no doubt on Monday the matter will be clarified in the HOC
    Well its clearly not fake news as here's Kevin Foster MP, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Safe and Legal Migration https://twitter.com/kevin_j_foster/status/1497671997756788737

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    That Kevin Foster tweet will he deleted soon. But the confusion over Ukrainian refugees underlines a broader issue. The Government have been warning about a potential invasion for months. How are they so manifestly unprepared for the practical consequences.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1497692857641181195
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,414

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

I've said it before, but this is just all baffling:

Russian airforce failing to to achieve air supremacy
    Whole convoys of Russian vehicles being abandoned due to a lack of fuel just days and tens of kms in.
    Support and light arms convoys being sent right into set defences with NLAWs
    Russian generals running low on rockets, despite supposedly having many stockpiled.
    The airforce killing a good portion of the VDV by either flying troop transporters into SAM defences, or right into the sea.
    Russia supposedly having no real battle plan and failing to get allied help.

Some of these are surely disinfo (1, 2, 3 are all proven fact), but there's enough to point to a seriously dysfunctional command structure who are unprepared for the war they started.

Did they possibly believe Putin when he said he wasn't planning to invade? And therefore made minimal preparations they thought would be for show.

It would suggest they are stupid. But we're slowly being forced to that conclusion anyway.
    *If* things aren't going as Russia planned (that is far from certain, as we have no visibility of their plan), then a significant factor might be that the Russian military has been lying to itself, and the leadership, for years. "Sure we have 100 combat-ready tanks in that warehouse," when in reality the maintenance money had bene going into someone's back pocket. It could be the entire system's riddled with capabilities that exist only on paper.
    Not entirely unlike the Afghan army which the US funded, only to find out most of it didn’t exist.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,843
    edited February 2022

Germany shortly to be added to the list.....if Denmark & Sweden follow....

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ukraine-aviation-situation-updates/

Come on France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Norway, etc... what's keeping you?
    Wasn't there a report earlier that the whole EU had already committed to doing that, as a policy ? There seems to be a bit of confusion on this whole topic.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038
    edited February 2022

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sure Churchill beat Attlee for standing up to Hitler. Fat lot of good it did the Tories at the 1945 GE.
    Attlee spent five years managing the wartime economy specifically to help beat Hitler. I know Churchill accused him of wanting to refound the Gestapo but I don't think that cut much ice.
    No analogy is perfect but there’s a lot of talk here of a “Churchillian Bounce”. If you wanted something like that it would be a post Falklands “Thatcher Bounce”. I don’t see how this impacts Johnson’s overall favourability much at all.
    There’s actually something a bit Galtieri about the whole military adventure at the moment.
    Trying to step back and actually think about events - the thing I could see Starmer doing differently was the decision to supply weapons to Ukraine.
    I don't see that. Practically every leader in Europe and the rest of the first world has chosen to help in this way. I would give Starmer a lot more credit than you seem to be doing. He strikes me as an honourable man.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729

🇬🇧🇺🇦 PM tonight with plane stuffed full of “military support” heading out to our comrades in Ukraine - PA

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1497687061582778370

Overflying Germany.....

No chance Johnson will be on the flight I suppose?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491

🇬🇧🇺🇦 PM tonight with plane stuffed full of “military support” heading out to our comrades in Ukraine - PA

Overflying Germany.....

He just can't resist a campaigning photo opportunity.

I find that cynical. I daresay most on here will cheer him on.

Churchill, my ****!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    BREAKING: EU and US agree to disconnect some Russian banks from Swift https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497694500847767555/photo/1
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    Looks like all the usual people on the ground in Kyiv ave gone radio silent, even earlier than yesterday. Time for sleep I think. Unlikely to hear much before the morning.
    BREAKING: European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, UK, Canada, U.S. announce they will disconnect certain Russian banks from Swift and will take restrictive measures to prevent the Russian Central Bank from deploying its international reserves to undermine sanctions.
    https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1497694659342213127
  • Roger said:

Overflying Germany.....

‘Welcome on board Prime Minister, can I show you to your fridge?’
    edited February 2022

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sure Churchill beat Attlee for standing up to Hitler. Fat lot of good it did the Tories at the 1945 GE.
    Attlee spent five years managing the wartime economy specifically to help beat Hitler. I know Churchill accused him of wanting to refound the Gestapo but I don't think that cut much ice.
    No analogy is perfect but there’s a lot of talk here of a “Churchillian Bounce”. If you wanted something like that it would be a post Falklands “Thatcher Bounce”. I don’t see how this impacts Johnson’s overall favourability much at all.
    There’s actually something a bit Galtieri about the whole military adventure at the moment.
    Trying to step back and actually think about events - the thing I could see Starmer doing differently was the decision to supply weapons to Ukraine.
    I don't see that. Practically every leader in Europe and the rest of the first world has chosen to help in this way. I would give Starmer a lot more credit than you seem to be doing. He strikes me as an honourable man.
    Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a bog standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.
    Scott_xP said:

Russians are conducting airdrops southwest of Kyiv https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497688481958699011/photo/1

Tweet has gone - another fake
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

PJohnson said:

Leon said:

Someone needs to slot Rabid Dog Putin

Absolutely NO ONE wants this war, except Putin himself

So kill him, and the problem goes away

Not fully true....russia fears a nuclear armed Ukraine on its doorstep so no the problem does not fully go away
    The country which gave up its nuclear weapons in return for a guarantee of secure borders ?
    You’re not trying very hard tonight.
    Of course the great sadness is that as part of that deal we and the US guaranteed said borders. Hindsight is 50/50, but we really should have put troops into Ukraine after 2014 and dared Russia to push further. Any skirmishes would have been fine because, after all, there were no Russian troops in the disputed areas were there Mr Putin? Just separatists.

Too late now of course.
  • biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a big standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.
    I an in the same boat. Right now I could not vote for Starmer and will spoil my ballot. But in a forced vote between the two it would be Starmer all the way.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited February 2022
    Breaking

UVDL announces she is proposing a number of Russian banks are removed from swift

The Russian cental bank will be paralysed

Oligarchs will not be able to access their assets
  • TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Agree - I don't think there can be any criticisms of Starmer.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,526
    TimS said:

Chameleon said:

pigeon said:

Chameleon said:

Whole convoys of Russian vehicles being abandoned due to a lack of fuel just days and tens of kms in.
    Russian generals running low on rockets, despite supposedly having many stockpiled.
    The airforce killing a good portion of the VDV by either flying troop transporters into SAM defences, or right into the sea.

Some of these are surely disinfo (1, 2, 3 are all proven fact), but there's enough to point to a seriously dysfunctional command structure who are unprepared for the war they started.

It's also possible that the Russian conventional forces are largely a hollowed-out basket case. Much of Europe has denuded its defences to spend the excess cash on domestic priorities. Perhaps the Russian elite has denuded its defences to spend the excess cash on tarts, cars and yachts?

I don't know, it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but maybe - just maybe - they are a lot weaker than their previous quick wins making modest gains from puny opponents (the Georgians; the Ukrainians themselves eight years ago) made them appear.
    Yep I think there's a decent case of that being true. Certainly the Ukrainian army is unrecognisable compared to just 8 years ago.

On a separate note, in almost all of the videos I've seen so far (the exception are the VDV from the airport), captured Russians have been either senior officers, or 17-23 year olds.

Young conscripts (technically volunteers, but they were conscripts coerced into signing contracts just before crossing the border) fighting a brother nation are not going to be motivated, or have key experience. There's a reason why most countries have moved towards professional armies.
    IS the apparent failure of Russian nilitary plans possibly an illusion .We have 24 hour news now so each hour seems an eternity at times like this. I cannot remember exactly how long it took the yanks to capture Baghdad but in was in weeks not days and everybody thought it swift at the time. Was the difference just a lack of social media where things need to happen by the hour to maintain interest?
    Yes to some extent, but it’s the losses of equipment and fighters that are making the news. This isn’t just a case of being bogged down. And if there are logistical problems already those will surely only get worse.
    GW1 was 100 hours (ground campaign)
    GW2 was 21 days. At no point did anyone wonder if things were getting bogged down or the coalition was running out of fuel regularly.

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    Freezing the assets of the Bank of Russia seems more significant than kicking a few Russian banks off SWIFT?
    Roger said:

Overflying Germany.....

Now if his campaign stunt was flying over to the Ukraine to fight alongside Zelensky he would get my vote.
  • Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: EU and US agree to disconnect some Russian banks from Swift https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497694500847767555/photo/1

To be factual UVDL included UK and Canada in the agreement
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited February 2022

Overflying Germany.....

Why publicise? The Russians will now be looking out for it to shoot it down. Putin will try and use it as a warning shot to NATO to stay out
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Torsten Riecke
    @torstenriecke
    Germany is a different country tonight. 🇩🇪 has learned more in 48 h than in last 33 yrs. Almost every pillar of German foreign policy has been shattered: Ostpolitik, Wandel durch Handel, restrict. arms export, softpower only, pacifism as ideology. What’s next? #StandWithUkraine

https://twitter.com/torstenriecke/status/1497650475541450762
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,200
    edited February 2022
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

@visegrad24·20m

Chechen leader Kadyrov

yes a deep fake

I think the best course of action is to just ignore twitter. Combination of misinformation and fog of war is going to lead to huge number of takes which turn out to be untrue.
    A statement which is always true. I deleted it about three years ago. Highly recommend it. I would miss the odd funny thing, but I get sent them anyway if they are that good.
    I logged out of twitter about a year ago to take a break, and have never logged back in. Even if you are very careful about who you follow it seems to end up as information overload, a lot of it fake or low quality. The examples today of fake pictures from the war are quite telling. In the end you are better off getting news feeds that have been edited in some way.
  • IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Tweet has gone - another fake
    As I pointed out to Scott at 10pm. But it's still good that you're here to complain.
    A thread to keep track of all Priti Patel's lies about the visa situation for Ukrainians.

Format: screengrab (in case she disappears the material) + link to original tweet
    https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1497645556738375680?s=20&t=074kLYTLEpTMH_vQDRkPEg https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1497687960929685504/photo/1
  • 🇬🇧🇺🇦 PM tonight with plane stuffed full of “military support” heading out to our comrades in Ukraine - PA

Overflying Germany.....

He just can't resist a campaigning photo opportunity.

I find that cynical. I daresay most on here will cheer him on.

Churchill, my ****!
    Very ill-advised, in multiple respects.
    HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Why publicise? The Russians will now be looking out for it to shoot it down. Putin will try and use it as a warning shot to NATO to stay out
    Because it's a great campaign photo opportunity?

Welcome to the Johnson reality HY.
  • Torsten Riecke
    @torstenriecke
    Germany is a different country tonight. 🇩🇪 has learned more in 48 h than in last 33 yrs. Almost every pillar of German foreign policy has been shattered: Ostpolitik, Wandel durch Handel, restrict. arms export, softpower only, pacifism as ideology. What’s next? #StandWithUkraine

Germany has no problems with arms exports when there's money to be made.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

It's not a criticsim - I am trying to work out what Starmer would/could/might have done differently. At the start of this crisis, Europe divided into 2 groups. One supplied arms and the other did not - broadly. Given that the Germans were in the non supplying group - might Starmer have followed that path, also?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    mwadams said:

TimS said:

Chameleon said:

pigeon said:

Chameleon said:

It's also possible that the Russian conventional forces are largely a hollowed-out basket case. Much of Europe has denuded its defences to spend the excess cash on domestic priorities. Perhaps the Russian elite has denuded its defences to spend the excess cash on tarts, cars and yachts?

I don't know, it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but maybe - just maybe - they are a lot weaker than their previous quick wins making modest gains from puny opponents (the Georgians; the Ukrainians themselves eight years ago) made them appear.
    Yep I think there's a decent case of that being true. Certainly the Ukrainian army is unrecognisable compared to just 8 years ago.

On a separate note, in almost all of the videos I've seen so far (the exception are the VDV from the airport), captured Russians have been either senior officers, or 17-23 year olds.

Young conscripts (technically volunteers, but they were conscripts coerced into signing contracts just before crossing the border) fighting a brother nation are not going to be motivated, or have key experience. There's a reason why most countries have moved towards professional armies.
    IS the apparent failure of Russian nilitary plans possibly an illusion .We have 24 hour news now so each hour seems an eternity at times like this. I cannot remember exactly how long it took the yanks to capture Baghdad but in was in weeks not days and everybody thought it swift at the time. Was the difference just a lack of social media where things need to happen by the hour to maintain interest?
    Yes to some extent, but it’s the losses of equipment and fighters that are making the news. This isn’t just a case of being bogged down. And if there are logistical problems already those will surely only get worse.
    GW2 was 21 days. At no point did anyone wonder if things were getting bogged down or the coalition was running out of fuel regularly.

We don't know what's going to happen ultimately, but there are a lot of elements of this Russian invasion that seem more "mock and flaw" than "shock and awe".
  • kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

Russia moves in heavy flamethrower weapon

CNN's Frederik Pleitgen reports on the Russians moving a TOS-1 heavy flamethrower that shoots thermobaric rockets near Kharkiv, Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsycTW8mGc

CNN's Frederik Pleitgen reports on the Russians moving a TOS-1 heavy flamethrower that shoots thermobaric rockets near Kharkiv, Ukraine.

Yes the more Ukraine resists the worse and more bloody it will be for them. Do the ukrainian people really want this
    Why would they not? What lesson are you trying to impart here? It's not a positive one.

We are the Borg. Lower your weapons and surrunder...we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    More like minimising the suffering of the Ukrainians....Street to Street combat with the Russians will take an immense toll
    mwadams said:

TimS said:

Chameleon said:

pigeon said:

Chameleon said:

There weren’t many UK/US armoured convoys on fire….
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    I suspect the Russian Graham Brady of the Kremlin 1917 committee has received a few letters, but they’ve still not reached 54. Putin remains safe.
    HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Because it won’t be flying anywhere near Ukrainian airspace…

It’s pretty obvious this is all going via Poland, and there’s a NATO aircraft fleet over Poland.
  • TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

It's not a criticsim - I am trying to work out what Starmer would/could/might have done differently. At the start of this crisis, Europe divided into 2 groups. One supplied arms and the other did not - broadly. Given that the Germans were in the non supplying group - might Starmer have followed that path, also?
    I asked the same two nights ago; would Starmer have sent anti-tank weapons a month ago?
    (FPT)
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Oh dear....

Reports coming in claiming that Russia tried to insert paratroopers in Odesa but accidentally dropped around 50 of them out over the sea in zero degree waters.

The Ukrainians say that nobody made it to shore, adding “we didn’t even have to open fire”.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497664806958030851

Now that is truly extraordinary incompetence, if true.

I mean, surely it's easy enough to tell the difference between the sea and the land?
    I know nothing of these things but I’d imagine that accurately inserting paratroopers near water in a hostile accurately would be very difficult indeed.
    Which is why you shouldn't do it. You should allow for wind, and not release until you have a margin for safety. And if in doubt, don't do it….
    Is this the etiquette guide for the PM meet up ?
    mwadams said:

TimS said:

Chameleon said:

pigeon said:

Chameleon said:

GW1 was setting records for the rate of advance of an army.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

Yes the more Ukraine resists the worse and more bloody it will be for them. Do the ukrainian people really want this
    Why would they not? What lesson are you trying to impart here? It's not a positive one.

We are the Borg. Lower your weapons and surrunder...we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    More like minimising the suffering of the Ukrainians....Street to Street combat with the Russians will take an immense toll
    And Russia occupying them, Chechans 'pacifying' the Ukrainian population via rape, torture, and murder (as in the Donbas) while their democracy is dismantled, and living standards plummet is a better result?
    The immigration minister has finally turned his phone on and deleted the tweet
    Jonathan said:

I suspect the Russian Graham Brady of the Kremlin 1917 committee has received a few letters, but they’ve still not reached 54. Putin remains safe.

In Russia, isn’t no confidence expressed more in daggers in the back and shots to the head that letters?

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

You are really not very you good at this

Russia shooting down a UK aircraft would be an act of war against a NATO country
    Putin has already warned NATO to stay out of Ukraine. He has the biggest nuclear weapons arsenal in the world.

Even if it is shot down, while he remains Russian President what are we going to realistically do beyond economic sanctions? We will in theory defend NATO nations but that is it.

As far as Ukraine goes we have given them all the supplies and weapons we could before the invasion and should now stay out of it
  • PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

You sound like Pétain, for Christ sake

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a big standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.
    I an in the same boat. Right now I could not vote for Starmer and will spoil my ballot. But in a forced vote between the two it would be Starmer all the way.
    I respect that. I doubt I could ever vote Tory but I can accept a number of Tory PMs have deserved respect. And most were honourable (if misguided imo). Not the present one, of course.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529
    Chameleon said:

PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

And Russia occupying them, Chechans 'pacifying' the Ukrainian population via rape, torture, and murder (as in the Donbas) while their democracy is dismantled, and living standards plummet is a better result?
    How many Chechens are they going to spread all over Ukraine?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a bog standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.
    Great to hear. We'll put that on our bus come the GE.

"Vote Labour. We're bog standard."

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I asked the same two nights ago; would Starmer have sent anti-tank weapons a month ago?
    I think he might well have done. If he was in government, he would have been facing down a rebellion from the East German Motorcycle Tribute Act. But that might well have been an additional incentive, for Starmer, in the end.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited February 2022
    I am sure I have seen P Johnson on Russia Today....certainly a surprising number of America / British apologists for Putin on there making the same sort of points.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    edited February 2022
    I hope someone clever in NATO leadership is figuring out the various endgames. A damaged or humiliated Putin would be hugely dangerous.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Russia shooting down a UK aircraft would be an act of war against a NATO country
    Putin has already warned NATO to stay out of Ukraine. He has the biggest nuclear weapons arsenal in the world.

Even if it is shot down, while he remains Russian President what are we going to realistically do beyond economic sanctions? We will in theory defend NATO nations but that is it.

As far as Ukraine goes we have given them all the supplies and weapons we could before the invasion and should now stay out of it
    Good grief! This from the man who was more than happy to send the tanks in to Gibraltar and Scotland.

"If you tolerate this..."
  • kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

A standard bog is one of the foundations of western civilisation.

Try living without one.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    There's the trope around that people abused are more likely to be abusers, and the Chechen soldiers would have grown up in the shadow of Grozny....

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

HYUFD has made a very sensible point.

Do you really think Putin isn't quite possibly past caring about who or what he shoots down?

If Tom Tugendhadt were PM he wouldn't be doing a campaign photoshoot tonight!
  • PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

I keep seeing stuff like this, and I'm sympathetic towards to the sentiment. Each time there's a glimmer of good news for Ukrainian I feel heartened before remembering increasing escalation will be bad for Ukrainians. However, if the Ukrainian people are willing to endure then that should be commended and their bravery lauded. If they can match Putin's violence with their resolve who are we to say that they shouldn't if they are willing to stand up to the tyrant?
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

You are quite right.
    The Russians should lay down their weapons and go home.

They would very likely be allowed to leave unmolested. Which would certainly not be the case the other way round.
  • PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

You sound like someone who wants Putin to win.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited February 2022
    Jonathan said:

I hope someone clever in NATO leadership is figuring out the various endgames. A damaged or humiliated Putin would be hugely dangerous.

As noted down thread, one thing that I would say is encouraging is just how leaky the Russians are. The US / UK have known all the ins and outs of this plan for ages.
  • Jonathan said:

I hope someone clever on a NATO leadership is figuring out the various endgames. A damaged or humiliated Putin would be hugely dangerous.

Perhaps. Or it may be that there are plenty near the seat of his power who the minute the lustre dims from his 'I'm Peter the Great reincarnated' oneness will finish him and his regime off.
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Hey I’m traditionally British. I would be very impressed by a Labour campaign of “we’re perfectly average - vote for us and we won’t do a lot but we’re not the other guys and we won’t break anything”.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

The plane is flying to Poland not Ukraine
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    nico679 said:

It’s easy to send weapons but the UK needs to step up and accept its fair share of Ukrainian refugees .
    A failure to do that would be shameful .

Arguably a bigger test of commitment.
  • HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

A military flight from the UK to the Ukraine won't delivering peanuts. And it will be perfectly trackable on radar.
    It is flying to Poland
  • WASHINGTON — The Biden administration and its key European allies have reached a preliminary agreement to bar Russian companies, oligarchs and government officials who are subject to sanctions from using the SWIFT system, essentially barring them from international financial transactions — but without interfering with gas deliveries to European nations.

The agreement, referred to in general terms by German officials and confirmed by American and European diplomats, falls short of a blanket cutoff of Russia from the financial messaging system, which some officials see as a nuclear option of sorts. Such a move would have essentially severed Russia from much of the global financial system

NY Times

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Good grief! This from the man who was more than happy to send the tanks in to Gibraltar and Scotland.

He’s happy to bully others, but not to stand up to bullies.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,019
    Jonathan said:

I rather hope someone clever in or around the Kremlin is figuring this out, and getting the coup ready. I reckon we’re 7 days away from either Ukraine surrender or Russian palace coup.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,019
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Hey I’m traditionally British. I would be very impressed by a Labour campaign of “we’re perfectly average - vote for us and we won’t do a lot but we’re not the other guys and we won’t break anything”.
    Would be refreshing.
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

He’s happy to bully others, but not to stand up to bullies.
    Indeed. And that is the very definition of a bully.
  • PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

He sounds more like William Joyce.
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Well I assume the supplies it is carrying are still going to Ukraine based on the tweet.

So Putin's warning to NATO to stay out still applies, the Russians could bomb truck convoys of supplies entering Ukraine as much as shoot down planes carrying them. Even if we still risk that the last thing to do is heavily advertise we are doing it
  • HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

HYUFD has made a very sensible point.

Do you really think Putin isn't quite possibly past caring about who or what he shoots down?

If Tom Tugendhadt were PM he wouldn't be doing a campaign photoshoot tonight!
    It would be if it was flying to Kyiv but it is not crossing into Ukraine airspace
  • PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

You sound like someone who wants Putin to win.
    I have come to the same conclusion
  • HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

A military flight from the UK to the Ukraine won't delivering peanuts. And it will be perfectly trackable on radar.
    It is flying to Poland
    "peanuts"?

Maybe, in the grand scheme of it all.

But this is now a total war of social media as much as on the ground. Every photo, every tic toc, every FB update that may or may not get through to the Russian public somehow, is an asset.

Only the Russian folk can pitch Putin into the river under the ice.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

I was with you all the way on paragraph one and two, and then it all just unravelled.

As a committed Christian how do you square the circle you have created in your third paragraph? Can we sit and watch innocents die at the hands of a Dictator and wash our hands of them?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

Well I assume the supplies it is carrying are still going to Ukraine based on the tweet.

So Putin's warning to NATO to stay out still applies, the Russians could bomb truck convoys of supplies entering Ukraine as much as shoot down planes carrying them
    He doesn’t control the borders yet. That’s rather the point….
  • Germany close to closing its airspace to Russian planes.

PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

He sounds more like William Joyce.
    Haw-haw - very good!
    edited February 2022
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Acceptable under the circumstances
    Is @HYUFD in fact a Russian deep agent? It would help explain a lot of things ;-)
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

I was with you all the way on paragraph one and two, and then it all just unravelled.

As a committed Christian how do you square the circle you have created in your third paragraph? Can we sit and watch innocents die at the hands of a Dictator and wash our hands of them?
    Happens all the time look at China and the uigyhrs...your morality is selective and shaped by that box in the corner
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729

Roger said:

Overflying Germany.....

‘Welcome on board Prime Minister, can I show you to your fridge?’
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwkDGlpWJk
  • Unpopular said:

PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

I keep seeing stuff like this, and I'm sympathetic towards to the sentiment. Each time there's a glimmer of good news for Ukrainian I feel heartened before remembering increasing escalation will be bad for Ukrainians. However, if the Ukrainian people are willing to endure then that should be commended and their bravery lauded. If they can match Putin's violence with their resolve who are we to say that they shouldn't if they are willing to stand up to the tyrant?
    Ask yourself what you would do today if England was being besieged by Russians.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

So Putin's warning to NATO to stay out still applies, the Russians could bomb truck convoys of supplies entering Ukraine as much as shoot down planes carrying them. Even if we still risk that the last thing to do is heavily advertise we are doing it
    Then answer this from Germany

BBC News - Germany to send weapons directly to Ukraine
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60541752
  • Chameleon said:

PJohnson said:

kle4 said:

PJohnson said:

OK well howxwould you like your wife with her rifle engaging in street to street combat realpolitik my friend
  • rcs1000 said:

Torsten Riecke
    @torstenriecke

It's taken them a while, but they finally seem to have got it.
    Not sure we should be chucking stones given the amount of RU activity and money and daughters at posh schools in London that we have welcomed.
  • UNVERIFIED TWEET

DRM Journal
    @remilitari
    📍We are checking the information that in Russia’s Belgorod 5,000 soldiers staged a riot and refused to go to fight with Ukraine; the report is coming from Obozrevatel and local media.10:25 PM · Feb 26, 2022.

https://twitter.com/remilitari/status/1497699493889949702
This discussion has been closed.