Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer still has a 30%+ net approval lead over Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sure Churchill beat Attlee for standing up to Hitler. Fat lot of good it did the Tories at the 1945 GE.
    Attlee spent five years managing the wartime economy specifically to help beat Hitler. I know Churchill accused him of wanting to refound the Gestapo but I don't think that cut much ice.
    No analogy is perfect but there’s a lot of talk here of a “Churchillian Bounce”. If you wanted something like that it would be a post Falklands “Thatcher Bounce”. I don’t see how this impacts Johnson’s overall favourability much at all.
    There’s actually something a bit Galtieri about the whole military adventure at the moment.
    Trying to step back and actually think about events - the thing I could see Starmer doing differently was the decision to supply weapons to Ukraine.
    I don't see that. Practically every leader in Europe and the rest of the first world has chosen to help in this way. I would give Starmer a lot more credit than you seem to be doing. He strikes me as an honourable man.
    Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a bog standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.
    Great to hear. We'll put that on our bus come the GE.

"Vote Labour. We're bog standard."
    Hey I’m traditionally British. I would be very impressed by a Labour campaign of “we’re perfectly average - vote for us and we won’t do a lot but we’re not the other guys and we won’t break anything”.
    A sentiment more common than admitted. And nothing wrong with it. I share it slightly. I want radical change but I'm scared of it too.

However something else is common and that is right wingers wanting the choice to be between a red meat Tory Party and a bland managerial Labour.
    The only radical belief I’ve ever held was in favour of Brexit. Can’t I now live with a choice of wet one nation Tories or New Labour? That’s my ideal.
    Well that's a bit sad. Wet One Nation Tories and New Labour both think the one thing you believe in is a bucket of stupid. So you'd be disenfranchised.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775

Scott_xP said:

Russians are conducting airdrops southwest of Kyiv https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497688481958699011/photo/1

I know Zelenskyy is prepared to be martyred for the cause, but wouldn't it make more sense to draw Russian fire to Kyiv, while being safe elsewhere? Perhaps he is. Then the Ukrainians can mop up ground forces without the threat of Ukraine being without its influential figurehead.
    I'd guess he sees a morale boosting effect from his current path more than anything else. Riskier, but inspiration can work wonders.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    stodge said:

darkage said:

I think we have to get over this fear that Putin will use WMDs. What are we going to do, accept his domination because he might use WMD's? Fuck that. I'd rather die than be Putin's slave. The assertive thing to do would subtly mention that mutually assured destruction applies and carry on with the business of defending our allies. We should be fighting with the Ukrainians.

There's no suggestion Putin and Russia are going to directly invade or attack the armed forces or territory of any NATO country. As someone who lives in London, my life expectancy in a nuclear war can be measured in minutes - I'll draw little comfort in that period of absolute terror knowing I won't be "Putin's slave".

Nuclear conflict means millions of deaths and the degradation of human civilisation - and you worry about being someone's slave. In any case, Putin can barely run a bath let alone conquer Europe.

We need to confine the conflict to Ukraine and work tirelessly for a negotiated ceasefire and withdrawal of Russian forces. Let's be resolute in support of Ukraine and generous in response to the looming humanitarian crisis.

As a wise man once said, jaw-jaw is always better than war-war.
    Yes. We need to tell Putin to fuck off.
  • Options

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🇬🇧🇺🇦 PM tonight with plane stuffed full of “military support” heading out to our comrades in Ukraine - PA

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1497687061582778370

Overflying Germany.....

Why publicise? The Russians will now be looking out for it to shoot it down. Putin will try and use it as a warning shot to NATO to stay out
    You are really not very you good at this

Russia shooting down a UK aircraft would be an act of war against a NATO country
    Putin has already warned NATO to stay out of Ukraine. He has the biggest nuclear weapons arsenal in the world.

Even if it is shot down, while he remains Russian President what are we going to realistically do beyond economic sanctions? We will in theory defend NATO nations but that is it.

As far as Ukraine goes we have given them all the supplies and weapons we could before the invasion and should now stay out of it
    I was with you all the way on paragraph one and two, and then it all just unravelled.

As a committed Christian how do you square the circle you have created in your third paragraph? Can we sit and watch innocents die at the hands of a Dictator and wash our hands of them?
    If the alternative is WW3.

We should defend NATO nations that is it.

Better Red than dead?

Not me son. Quite what a sixty year old coward could do if this escalates I don't know, but if my sacrifice would save my sons for a long and happy life, I'd do whatever it takes Easily said, from an armchair in South Wales, but I've though hard about it today.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is already turning into a strategic nightmare for Putin, even if he “wins” in Ukraine by changing the regime. He has United the West, fiercely revived NATO, got Germany to reverse decades of pacifism (not in his favour) and made his feared army look feeble. And everyone in the world now hates him, or is, at the very least, horribly embarrassed by him

It is difficult to see how it could have gone worse

Yep. That's the way it looks tonight. And maybe even more of a problem for him, he has utterly fucked the playboy lifestyle of his rich mates and supporters who relied on spending most of the year well away from his shitty regime and living it large in London and Paris and so on.

Good luck getting your money now kids.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

stodge said:

darkage said:

I think we have to get over this fear that Putin will use WMDs. What are we going to do, accept his domination because he might use WMD's? Fuck that. I'd rather die than be Putin's slave. The assertive thing to do would subtly mention that mutually assured destruction applies and carry on with the business of defending our allies. We should be fighting with the Ukrainians.

There's no suggestion Putin and Russia are going to directly invade or attack the armed forces or territory of any NATO country. As someone who lives in London, my life expectancy in a nuclear war can be measured in minutes - I'll draw little comfort in that period of absolute terror knowing I won't be "Putin's slave".

Nuclear conflict means millions of deaths and the degradation of human civilisation - and you worry about being someone's slave. In any case, Putin can barely run a bath let alone conquer Europe.

We need to confine the conflict to Ukraine and work tirelessly for a negotiated ceasefire and withdrawal of Russian forces. Let's be resolute in support of Ukraine and generous in response to the looming humanitarian crisis.

This might be scant consolidation but of Russia's 6,000+ nukes most are held in reserve and only 1,600 are immediately deployable. And then there's the question of whether they will all fire and target properly after all these years.

He doesn't have time to bring all the rest of them online and up to scratch if it gets that far. And he's got to target all of Europe, the UK and the US with that. He wouldn't be able to guarantee universal destruction.

Meanwhile France and the UK (combined) can deploy a third of his number alone, and target them properly, and the US has well over 5,000 of them.

So, if he did use them enough of them in an all-out first strike enough of the West would survive for him to be utterly annihilated*.

It's way too risky and therefore bluster.

(*Btw, total global current nuclear stocks aren't enough to wipe out all of humanity even if evenly targeted on all the major cities at once - I think the estimate is a max of 3 billion dead so 6 billion survivors, and humanity goes on)
    Only nuclear powers would likely be targeted in a nuclear war. Noones going to aim at Oslo and Geneva.
    Us OTOH...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Leon said:

This is already turning into a strategic nightmare for Putin, even if he “wins” in Ukraine by changing the regime. He has United the West, fiercely revived NATO, got Germany to reverse decades of pacifism (not in his favour) and made his feared army look feeble. And everyone in the world now hates him, or is, at the very least, horribly embarrassed by him

Yep. That's the way it looks tonight. And maybe even more of a problem for him, he has utterly fucked the playboy lifestyle of his rich mates and supporters who relied on spending most of the year well away from his shitty regime and living it large in London and Paris and so on.

They'll just sell a few of their London properties I imagine.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

That is up to them. Brave but they do so at their own risk

I have to say once again I find myself in unlikely agreement. NATO has to be very careful not to cross the line into direct involvement. There's an overwhelming notion around we must "do something" to help Ukraine - perhaps but risking an escalation toward the unthinkable isn't it.

I realise this may be an unpopular view on here tonight but there's a limit to what we can and should do. Help the refugees by all means, offer sanctuary in the UK if we can but we cannot get drawn into this fight - the stakes are simply too high. We can apply economic pressure on Russia (and we should) but we cannot force Putin into a corner where he feels trapped and has no option but to escalate.

We need to be tirelessly pushing for a negotiated ceasefire - we need to use any back channel we have to tell the Russian Government this is a disastrous course of action and try to persuade the Chinese or any one else to press Putin into ending this sooner rather than later.
    I'm glad someone is saying this. Everyone on here feels desperately sorry for Ukraine and wants Putin to be stopped but starting a world war over it just means that everyone dies. What happened to Hungary, Czechoslovakia and East Germany was no less horrific but who can honestly say that things would have been better if the West had intervened? Half a century later those countries are free democracies not an irradiated wasteland. NATO is as it always was the line in the sand
  • Options

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I have to say once again I find myself in unlikely agreement. NATO has to be very careful not to cross the line into direct involvement. There's an overwhelming notion around we must "do something" to help Ukraine - perhaps but risking an escalation toward the unthinkable isn't it.

I realise this may be an unpopular view on here tonight but there's a limit to what we can and should do. Help the refugees by all means, offer sanctuary in the UK if we can but we cannot get drawn into this fight - the stakes are simply too high. We can apply economic pressure on Russia (and we should) but we cannot force Putin into a corner where he feels trapped and has no option but to escalate.

We need to be tirelessly pushing for a negotiated ceasefire - we need to use any back channel we have to tell the Russian Government this is a disastrous course of action and try to persuade the Chinese or any one else to press Putin into ending this sooner rather than later.
    Ye. Lots of brave keyboard warriors who have no clue about geopolitics.

Reminds me of my first year seminars during my international relations undergrad. Almost everyone was a liberal interventionist. By the third year, pretty much everyone was a realist.
    This is a straw man argument. We are not talking about boots on the ground inside Ukraine. All the Western governments have been very clear about that. Nor the aerial equivalent with no fly zones etc. But we absolutely should be supplying the Ukrainians with everything they need to try and resist. The only way this ends well is if Putin loses and is removed. If he doesn't then we have sold Ukraine down the river and in a few years we will be having the same arguments about the Baltic States. And at that point Article 5 gets triggered and the whole world goes to hell.
    Yes indeed.

And I have to say I find affected world weary realpolitik attitudes no less artificial than if someone posted they were about to grab a gun and rush to the front. There is nothing wrong, nothing, in people expressing their view about what they believe should be an appropriate course of action, even extreme courses. Some will be wrong, or impractical, and be called out as such, but lazy talk of keyboard warriors is clearly designed to delegitimise any attempt at honest debate and commentary by implying any comment, however reasonable, is fundamentally undermined due to the source.
  • Options

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Reminds me of my first year seminars during my international relations undergrad. Almost everyone was a liberal interventionist. By the third year, pretty much everyone was a realist.
    This is a straw man argument. We are not talking about boots on the ground inside Ukraine. All the Western governments have been very clear about that. Nor the aerial equivalent with no fly zones etc. But we absolutely should be supplying the Ukrainians with everything they need to try and resist. The only way this ends well is if Putin loses and is removed. If he doesn't then we have sold Ukraine down the river and in a few years we will be having the same arguments about the Baltic States. And at that point Article 5 gets triggered and the whole world goes to hell.
    Yep. We will be back here again in 2024 when Trump wins a landslide only the USA will not be anywhere to be found because POTUS is in Moscow sucking Putin's dick.

Better deal with it now.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

🇬🇧🇺🇦 PM tonight with plane stuffed full of “military support” heading out to our comrades in Ukraine - PA

Overflying Germany.....

Why publicise? The Russians will now be looking out for it to shoot it down. Putin will try and use it as a warning shot to NATO to stay out
    Shooting it down over Poland would be quite an escalation.....for some reason it didn't land.....
  • Options
    ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Reminds me of my first year seminars during my international relations undergrad. Almost everyone was a liberal internationalist. By the third year, pretty much everyone was a realist.
    Agreed...how many on here would be prepared to fight street to Street...let us pray for the ukrainian people and hope they don't pay a heavy price for their resistance
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,973
    Very important that whatever your views on gender neutral toilets, Brexit or taxation should be expressed through the medium of telling Vlad to fuck himself.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Not happy with the pile-on on PJohnson.
    Better to counter his points with arguments than just say "troll".
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2022
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I’m sure Churchill beat Attlee for standing up to Hitler. Fat lot of good it did the Tories at the 1945 GE.
    Attlee spent five years managing the wartime economy specifically to help beat Hitler. I know Churchill accused him of wanting to refound the Gestapo but I don't think that cut much ice.
    No analogy is perfect but there’s a lot of talk here of a “Churchillian Bounce”. If you wanted something like that it would be a post Falklands “Thatcher Bounce”. I don’t see how this impacts Johnson’s overall favourability much at all.
    There’s actually something a bit Galtieri about the whole military adventure at the moment.
    Trying to step back and actually think about events - the thing I could see Starmer doing differently was the decision to supply weapons to Ukraine.
    I don't see that. Practically every leader in Europe and the rest of the first world has chosen to help in this way. I would give Starmer a lot more credit than you seem to be doing. He strikes me as an honourable man.
    Yeah you’re right - in the end I probably won’t vote for Starmer, but he’s perfectly capable of being a bog standard U.K. PM. It’s so, so refreshing vs his predecessor.

Hey I’m traditionally British. I would be very impressed by a Labour campaign of “we’re perfectly average - vote for us and we won’t do a lot but we’re not the other guys and we won’t break anything”.
    A sentiment more common than admitted. And nothing wrong with it. I share it slightly. I want radical change but I'm scared of it too.

However something else is common and that is right wingers wanting the choice to be between a red meat Tory Party and a bland managerial Labour.
    The only radical belief I’ve ever held was in favour of Brexit. Can’t I now live with a choice of wet one nation Tories or New Labour? That’s my ideal.
    Well that's a bit sad. Wet One Nation Tories and New Labour both think the one thing you believe in is a bucket of stupid. So you'd be disenfranchised.
    Give it five years. The soggy centre evolves. Tbh I think it already has. And it’s not the only thing I believe in, just the only radical position. There’s not many of use who wanted a hard Brexit but open borders….
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

This might be scant consolidation but of Russia's 6,000+ nukes most are held in reserve and only 1,600 are immediately deployable. And then there's the question of whether they will all fire and target properly after all these years.

He doesn't have time to bring all the rest of them online and up to scratch if it gets that far. And he's got to target all of Europe, the UK and the US with that. He wouldn't be able to guarantee universal destruction.

Meanwhile France and the UK (combined) can deploy a third of his number alone, and target them properly, and the US has well over 5,000 of them.

So, if he did use them enough of them in an all-out first strike enough of the West would survive for him to be utterly annihilated*.

(*Btw, total global current nuclear stocks aren't enough to wipe out all of humanity even if evenly targeted on all the major cities at once - I think the estimate is a max of 3 billion dead so 6 billion survivors, and humanity goes on)
    Only nuclear powers would likely be targeted in a nuclear war. Noones going to aim at Oslo and Geneva.
    Us OTOH...
    When the Russia war plans were revealed at the end of the Cold War, every vaguely Western country was targeted. New Zealand and Australia were to be wiped out - despite their anti-nuclear stances.

The conventional military plans included invading Sweden and using chemical weapons there. With escalation to tactical nuclear weapons on the table....
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    tlg86 said:

Dodgy decision in the boxing!

Unheard of!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    Wait a gosh darn minute, I was told those Tridents based 25 miles away from me were keeping me safe.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Zelensky is either going to be a matyr or hero. It means no clean win for Russia, his selflessness has extracted a huge price if Russia does prevail.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Reminds me of my first year seminars during my international relations undergrad. Almost everyone was a liberal internationalist. By the third year, pretty much everyone was a realist.
    Agreed...how many on here would be prepared to fight street to Street...let us pray for the ukrainian people and hope they don't pay a heavy price for their resistance
    No one truly knows whether they would fight to keep their street from an invader until it actually happens.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    geoffw said:

He's not really making any sustained or fleshed-out arguments at all, just giving a very good impression of brief and opportunistic propagandising.
  • Options

Leon said:

And transfer the money how to Moscow?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    Wait a gosh darn minute, I was told those Tridents based 25 miles away from me were keeping me safe.
    You need to be within 15 miles.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    kle4 said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes indeed.

And I have to say I find affected world weary realpolitik attitudes no less artificial than if someone posted they were about to grab a gun and rush to the front. There is nothing wrong, nothing, in people expressing their view about what they believe should be an appropriate course of action, even extreme courses. Some will be wrong, or impractical, and be called out as such, but lazy talk of keyboard warriors is clearly designed to delegitimise any attempt at honest debate and commentary by implying any comment, however reasonable, is fundamentally undermined due to the source.
    Agreed.
    Though I’ll make an exception for @PJohnson .
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Your trolling is a tad too obvious Vlad.

If they pay a heavy price its because of their would-be oppressors invading them. But hopefully the resistance does well to either prevent that or to at least inflict a heavy price on those invading.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I want to believe that Zelensky is getting personal protection from a team of specialists. Time for bed and hope for the best in the morning.

Pray for Kiev.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·1h⚡️Multiple reports suggest that Russian forces are about to conduct heavy airstrikes and rocket attacks against Kyiv.

fighting in urban areas is hell, to both the attacker and defender, fighting in urban areas that have been bombed is self evidently supper very bad for the defenders but is also supper-hell for the attackers.

If Putin destroys Kyiv its because he no longer plans of taking the city, (or he thinks he has no chose)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Aslan said:

Tom Tugendhat
    @TomTugendhat
    The SWIFT sanctions are going through. This could cripple the Russian economy and cause runs on banks.

Putin is sacrificing two countries to his vanity and the lives of millions are suffering for him alone.

What happens if Russia's economy tanks and then Putin threatens to drop a couple of nukes if the sanctions aren't lifted?
    Everyone calls his bluff because Russia would be demolished if he started a nuclear exchange.
    Would he care? That's the worry.

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    Repeatedly deferring the Trident replacement is not looking like a great decision right now
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I've replied several times. I cannot say it has advanced the debate in any way, some debates are not really capable of being advanced.

And while I believe the internet should be a more polite space, you do need to have skin thick enough to survive being called a troll from time to time, particularly if you are making the same point over and over.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,446

stodge said:

darkage said:

Rolling your shit in glitter, giving it eyes and calling it Colin might persuade some but I'm not eating it.

The idea is to avoid escalating to a nuclear confrontation because the integrity of Ukraine is not worth the annihilation of Western civilisation.

Not 'hurr durr I reject the last 70 years of nuclear theory' and making us all eat your caterpillar.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Overflying Germany.....

You are really not very you good at this

Russia shooting down a UK aircraft would be an act of war against a NATO country
    Putin has already warned NATO to stay out of Ukraine. He has the biggest nuclear weapons arsenal in the world.

Even if it is shot down, while he remains Russian President what are we going to realistically do beyond economic sanctions? We will in theory defend NATO nations but that is it.

As far as Ukraine goes we have given them all the supplies and weapons we could before the invasion and should now stay out of it
    Good grief! This from the man who was more than happy to send the tanks in to Gibraltar and Scotland.

"If you tolerate this..."
    There is a distinction between defending British territory, which I would support even against Russia and taking military action against a military superpower in a war in a foreign country that is not even in NATO
    There is also a distinction between supplying weapons, and taking military action - which you do not seem to understand.
    Not for Putin now it seems
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Leon said:

I assume their kids would be spending it in London. In Harrods perhaps.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

geoffw said:

He's not really making sustained or fleshed-out arguments, just giving a very good impression of brief and opportunistic propagandising.
    Up to you to flesh-out a response. Calling "troll" doesn't cut it.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    You need to be within 15 miles.
    Feck, that would mean Iiving in Greenock. Come, friendly nukes..
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

He's not really making sustained or fleshed-out arguments, just giving a very good impression of brief and opportunistic propagandising.

No, I wouldn't agree there. It's up to him to find coherent enough arguments worth responding to.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Do you approve of Russia's actions and behaviour?
  • Options

Leon said:

I assume their kids would be spending it in London. In Harrods perhaps.
    Well, Johnson did say he would increase the supply of housing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Visegrád 24 🇨🇿🇭🇺🇵🇱🇸🇰@visegrad24·4mUkrainian Security Service: Kadyrov's Chechen convoy has been crushed by the Ukrainian Army near Hostomel.

This is reported by Channel 24, citing its own sources in the Ukrainian Security Service.

🇺🇦

These were supposed to be the toughest of the tough,,,,,
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

Someone upthread said this ends one of two ways very soon - with a Russian “victory” in Ukraine or Putin overthrown

I wonder if the end point might be both. In desperation Putin will hurl maximum violence at Ukraine - as he did in Chechnya - and “win”. But the slaughter of 1000s in Ukraine in the eyes of the entire world will so revulse everyone he will be deposed very quickly by his own disgusted and embarrassed elite.

A better result for all would be a slug of poison in his stupid tea. Putin is a hyena on ket. He needs to go

• Options
    (Guardian)
    Russia has become a “global economic and financial pariah”, a senior US administration official told the Guardian’s diplomatic editor Julian Borger.

Speaking after western allies announced new financial measures against Russia, including the removal of some Russian banks from the Swift global payments network, the official said the measures were designed to target the Kremlin and individuals tied to the Russian government.

“We’ll go after their yachts, their luxury apartments their money and their ability to send their kids to fancy colleges in the west. We will also engage other governments, so as to detect and disrupt the movement of ill-gotten gains, and deny these individuals their ability to hide their assets in jurisdictions across the world,” the official said.

They said that all 10 of Russia’s largest financial institutions had now been subjected to sanctions – “holding nearly 80% of the Russian banking sector’s total assets”.

As a result, the official said: “Russia’s government borrowing costs have more than doubled to almost 17%. The S&P credit rating agency has downgraded Russia to junk status. Within 24 hours of our actions the demand for cash in Russia spiked 58 fold, according to reports, and the Russian government scrambled to deplete its own resources to try and shore up its banks and its currency. In short, Russia has become a global economic and financial pariah.”…
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    edited February 2022
    GOP governors working to stop sale of Russian made vodka in some US states NY Times is reporting.

Symbolic obviously but interesting that it is GOP.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Up to you to flesh-out a response.

That presupposes honest debate is open to be had. It takes two to tango. All very well to extend a hand, but if you've seen that path doesn't yield results at a certain point why would others attempt it?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657

Leon said:

That London restaurant which charges £10,000 per head must be a bit worried at the moment.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    edited February 2022
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    The opposite. Putin knows that if he targets France, the UK or USA with nuclear missiles he risks nuclear weapons being sent to Moscow or St Petersburg by them in return. If London was hit, a UK submarine would send a Trident nuclear missile to Moscow in response.

Any other European nation though except France or us he could invade or even launch a nuclear attack on without risk of direct response from them. Albeit if it was a NATO nation he still might risk response on mutual self defence
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I'm with Biggles. I'd like a choice between a managerial New Labour, but willing to accept the result of the referendum, and a bland managerial Cameronite Tory party, but willing to accept the result of the referendum.
    Not an option, but one can dream.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

That London restaurant which charges £10,000 per head must be a bit worried at the moment.
    Sending one hell of a leaflet stop to Beijing and tweaking the menu…
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Why would a Putin shill want to waste their time posting Putin propaganda on PB?

OGH should be buffing his nails on account of the Kremlin taking his blog so seriously.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Someone upthread said this ends one of two ways very soon - with a Russian “victory” in Ukraine or Putin overthrown

I wonder if the end point might be both. In desperation Putin will hurl maximum violence at Ukraine - as he did in Chechnya - and “win”. But the slaughter of 1000s in Ukraine in the eyes of the entire world will so revulse everyone he will be deposed very quickly by his own disgusted and embarrassed elite.

A better result for all would be a slug of poison in his stupid tea. Putin is a hyena on ket. He needs to go

I fear you are right. In a corner he will demand everything is hurled at Ukr. A rain of fire and so on. But will enough people around him finally realise this will not end well and dispatch him?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I did actually 'like' one of PJohnsons posts earlier. I don't agree with (his?) subsequent points that the Ukrainians should give up and submit to the Russians, but it is likely that they could avoid a lot of grief by doing so.

There is a bit of wartime fervour going on this evening. It will pass, I think.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If they pay a heavy price its because of their would-be oppressors invading them. But hopefully the resistance does well to either prevent that or to at least inflict a heavy price on those invading.

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Sure...burnt how would you like your wife and daughters killed in a heroic resistance...easy to be a keyboard warrior from over a thousand miles away
  • Options

Visegrád 24 🇨🇿🇭🇺🇵🇱🇸🇰@visegrad24·4mUkrainian Security Service: Kadyrov's Chechen convoy has been crushed by the Ukrainian Army near Hostomel.

This is reported by Channel 24, citing its own sources in the Ukrainian Security Service.

🇺🇦

No one is as tough as someone defending their own homeland and family.

• Options

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Why would a Putin shill want to waste their time posting Putin propaganda on PB?

OGH should be buffing his nails on account of the Kremlin taking his blog so seriously.
    To be fair, given it’s ability to swiftly aggregate news and deliver elections results at pace, I’d think this blog is read by a lot of intelligence agencies to speed up their homework.

And that’s before we discuss the value of the cricket betting tips.
  • Options

🇺🇦

I hope the very toughest got a Klitschko sparring session just before they were captured.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Us OTOH...
    The opposite. Putin knows that if he targets France, the UK or USA with nuclear missiles he risks nuclear weapons being sent to Moscow or St Petersburg by them in return. If London was hit, a UK submarine would send a Trident nuclear missile to Moscow in response.

Any other European nation though except France or us he could invade or even launch a nuclear attack on without risk of direct response from them. Albeit if it was a NATO nation he still might risk response on mutual self defence
    London's safe. Too many Russians!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I think this is correct. Even if Ukraine falls, even if Russia can subsume the entire country and do so without a hellish resistance, and so achieve all of Putin's military and territorial objectives, the cost is huge. Putin has destroyed the political and economic status quo in Russia. The crooks that run Russia will find life a hell of a lot tougher, and if they find it tougher is it worth them supporting Putin? Putin is trashing their businesses and burning their loot, and for what? Some half-baked plan to restore a Russian Empire that will be isolated from the rest of the world.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,819
    edited February 2022
    deleted - messed up block quotes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

I think this is really good news..

@visegrad24·20m

"We are shocked that the Ukrainians have so many weapons.

We have no desire to fight against the Ukrainian people,"

Chechen leader Kadyrov

Commentators say Kadyrov means he wouldn’t fight against the Ukrainian people but would with “Neo-Nazi Ukrainians”

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497666363871182850

The material is reworked, effects from Instagram have been added, and his statements are cut off old statements that someone pasted on and that do not even match the movement of the mouth. Original video with Kadyrov, from which the frame and his lips are taken here:
    https://youtu.be/rwyfOOTJNpE?t=4
    yes a deep fake
    Is that the third or fourth fake posted here just today? It would be nice if people waited to see if things are genuine before doing the cut ‘n paste
    In fairness, it's hard for the lay person to tell if they're fake - which is the whole idea of course.

Despite all the positive reports of Ukrainian resistance and Russian ineptitude, I am steeling myself for the prospect that Ukraine falls within the next week.

I do so much hope I am wrong.
    It's only sensible. Even if the positive reports of the first few days are true, no one seems to dispute the facts on paper about the martial resources potentially at play, so despite being true things could yet go even worse.
    It's already gone far better than I'd feared. Every day Ukraine holds out, every loss Ukraine inflicts on Russia, makes Russia's next step more difficult.

Three days ago I was expecting an easy Russian win and a new iron curtain as a best case scenario. Now, we are looking at a weakened Russia- even if it does conquer Ukraine it will have expended considerable treasure and political capital to do so and will have to expend the same again to hold it.
    And I am also inspired by the bravery of the Ukrainians; and of the Russian protestors. Truly we have seen some heroism these last few days. And that is cause for celebration if nothing else.
    In cricketing terms, this is an astonishing tenth wicket stand after a top order collapse in the first innings - the west might now be going into the second innings in a slightly less disadvantageous position than we had feared and the prospect of ultimate victory is not as remote as it once was.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h
    We are in truly dangerous spiral:
    Brave Ukrainian resistance frustrates Russian attack -> Kiev refuses humiliating negotiations.
    Russia about to ramp up destructiveness of attack
    NATO members rushing weapons to Ukraine
    EU/US announce major sanctions.
    What is Russia’s next move?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

I think this is really good news..

@visegrad24·20m

"We are shocked that the Ukrainians have so many weapons.

We have no desire to fight against the Ukrainian people,"

Chechen leader Kadyrov

Commentators say Kadyrov means he wouldn’t fight against the Ukrainian people but would with “Neo-Nazi Ukrainians”

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497666363871182850

The material is reworked, effects from Instagram have been added, and his statements are cut off old statements that someone pasted on and that do not even match the movement of the mouth. Original video with Kadyrov, from which the frame and his lips are taken here:
    https://youtu.be/rwyfOOTJNpE?t=4
    yes a deep fake
    Is that the third or fourth fake posted here just today? It would be nice if people waited to see if things are genuine before doing the cut ‘n paste
    In fairness, it's hard for the lay person to tell if they're fake - which is the whole idea of course.

Despite all the positive reports of Ukrainian resistance and Russian ineptitude, I am steeling myself for the prospect that Ukraine falls within the next week.

I do so much hope I am wrong.
    It's only sensible. Even if the positive reports of the first few days are true, no one seems to dispute the facts on paper about the martial resources potentially at play, so despite being true things could yet go even worse.
    It's already gone far better than I'd feared. Every day Ukraine holds out, every loss Ukraine inflicts on Russia, makes Russia's next step more difficult.

Three days ago I was expecting an easy Russian win and a new iron curtain as a best case scenario. Now, we are looking at a weakened Russia- even if it does conquer Ukraine it will have expended considerable treasure and political capital to do so and will have to expend the same again to hold it.
    And I am also inspired by the bravery of the Ukrainians; and of the Russian protestors. Truly we have seen some heroism these last few days. And that is cause for celebration if nothing else.
    In cricketing terms, this is an astonishing tenth wicket stand after a top order collapse in the first innings - the west might now be going into the second innings in a slightly less disadvantageous position than we had feared and the prospect of ultimate victory is not as remote as it once was.
    I like that analogy. Ukraine has saved us the follow on.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    darkage said:

geoffw said:

I did actually 'like' one of PJohnsons posts earlier. I don't agree with (his?) subsequent points that the Ukrainians should give up and submit to the Russians, but it is likely that they could avoid a lot of grief by doing so.

There is a bit of wartime fervour going on this evening. It will pass, I think.
    Not from me. I don't want to see NATO troops on the ground in Ukraine, but I'm also not particularly impressed by transparent propaganda, either.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Donald H Taylor
    @DonaldHTaylor
    · 1h
    The coming days scare me. Putin, fearing humiliation in Ukraine, will demand advances. The onslaught could be Aleppo/Grozny intense, accelerated by a wish to beat the arrival of western aid. It will be indiscriminately savage, unless Russia really lacks materiel (as some believe)
  • Options
    ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h
    Brave Ukrainian resistance frustrates Russian attack -> Kiev refuses humiliating negotiations.

This is the worry ignored by many on here...this situation could spiral in unpredictable ways to the detriment of the west....
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Sure...burnt how would you like your wife and daughters killed in a heroic resistance...easy to be a keyboard warrior from over a thousand miles away
    We wouldn’t - anymore than we would like our country invaded by brutal and out of control dictator.
    But given the latter, I’d like to think we’d refuse to surrender our hopes for a better future, just as has Ukraine.

How would you like to be governed by an authoritarian sociopath, in a country which has become an international pariah in the space of a few days ?
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

This is the worry ignored by many on here...this situation could spiral in unpredictable ways to the detriment of the west....
    ..and to your own side.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, given it’s ability to swiftly aggregate news and deliver elections results at pace, I’d think this blog is read by a lot of intelligence agencies to speed up their homework.

I'm pretty sure chefs read it too, to perfect the use of pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, we've had Russian sockpuppets in the past.
  • Options
    Journalist Lev Shlosberg, who broke the story in 2014 about the first Russian soldiers being buried back home after dying in the Donbas, says Putin won’t make the same mistake this time. Hence the army’s mobile crematoriums.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497637654925611011
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657
    One would hope that if Vlad orders a nuclear strike the people who actually pull the levers would refuse to do so.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Piss off you nasty twat.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There was a run of antivaxxers with very suspiciously written English last year too, who always seemed like they were probably Russian.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I'm pretty sure chefs read it too, to perfect the use of pineapple on pizza.
    It’s the music criticism that drew me in. Without the advice of this site I might have believed that Radiohead had some talent.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

The bear has to be confronted at some point. If not now, when?
  • Options
    biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It is certainly up on the screens of many press agencies and political centres more or less permanently.

That's good enough reason to shoo away pesky little farts like P Johnson whenever they show up. They spoil the brand - and it is a very good brand.
  • Options

Cookie said:

biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There was a run of antivaxxers with very suspiciously written English last year too, who always seemed like they were probably Russian.
    Given that Russia has apparently suspected Twitter, and severely limited Facebook, perhaps PB is now their only source of news and commentary….

God help them.
  • Options
    White House: The Central Bank of Russia has $630 billion in gold and foreign exchange reserves that can be sold to support the ruble, and the purpose of the sanctions is to make it impossible to exchange this currency to rubles by blocking transactions with Western banks

White House: The US expects that, having lost the support of the Russian Central Bank due to the sanctions imposed on it, the ruble will fall into free fall

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497717916380323843
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

As can any situation
  • Options

PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

..and to your own side.
    Does anyone seriously think that this couldn't spiral unpredictably (apart from Mad Vlad of course)?

This is the most dangerous time most of us have ever lived through. That was clear from the moment Vlad ordered his conscripts in.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

biggles said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Given that Russia has apparently suspected Twitter, and severely limited Facebook, perhaps PB is now their only source of news and commentary….

God help them.
    Russia is funding its war effort by correctly predicting election results in obscure US districts. You heard it here first. As ever.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

..and to your own side.
    Does anyone seriously think that this couldn't spiral unpredictably (apart from Mad Vlad of course)?

This is the most dangerous time most of us have ever lived through. That was clear from the moment Vlad ordered his conscripts in.

Yes. Since 1962, at least.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    darkage said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

The bear has to be confronted at some point. If not now, when?
    Yes. It has to be now. Here and now. That much has become obvious

Because if we don’t at least try and stop this, then this frothing wolverine of a puffy old man will come for NATO and that means outright nuclear war or pathetic subjugation for all of us
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This is encouraging.

US Senior Admin Official, in call with reporters, said in addition to disconnecting key Russian banks from SWIFT, the US & Europeans agreed to launch a mutlilateral transatlantic task force to identify, hunt down and seize the assets of sanctioned Russian officials & oligarchs…
    … as well as those of their families and enablers. We will take their yachts, their luxury apartments, their money, their ability to send their kids to college abroad, the US official said.
    also cracking down on entities that sell citizenship to wealthy russians to bypass sanctions ….

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1497706505700847617
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

White House: The Central Bank of Russia has $630 billion in gold and foreign exchange reserves that can be sold to support the ruble, and the purpose of the sanctions is to make it impossible to exchange this currency to rubles by blocking transactions with Western banks

White House: The US expects that, having lost the support of the Russian Central Bank due to the sanctions imposed on it, the ruble will fall into free fall

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497717916380323843

I'll exchange the gold for bitcoin :)
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

It does when the comments being made are clearly intended as pro-Putin propaganda. No one had to make logical and reasoned responses to Lord Haw Haw and that is exactly the role 'PJohnson' is playing.
  • Options
    "I promise you after this is over, I will never speak fucking Russian again".

Astonishing video footage from the front line in NY Times blog:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/26/world/ukraine-russia-war#video-captures-fierce-fighting-near-kyiv
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    edited February 2022
    The Russians behave like scum.

The Ukrainians behave like heroes.

The Poles behave as they should.

The Germans behave like always.

🇷🇺🇺🇦🇵🇱🇩🇪

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497723811415793664?
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

ping said:

Adam Tooze
    @adam_tooze
    ·
    1h

I don't know whether you've noticed, but the situation has already spiralled in ways to the detriment of the west. There are currently Russian missiles raining down on Kyiv. The worst is already underway. The attack on the west has started.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is encouraging.

US Senior Admin Official, in call with reporters, said in addition to disconnecting key Russian banks from SWIFT, the US & Europeans agreed to launch a mutlilateral transatlantic task force to identify, hunt down and seize the assets of sanctioned Russian officials & oligarchs…
    … as well as those of their families and enablers. We will take their yachts, their luxury apartments, their money, their ability to send their kids to college abroad, the US official said.
    also cracking down on entities that sell citizenship to wealthy russians to bypass sanctions ….

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1497706505700847617

That is good but it is a shame it looks like the International Community will have to do our own dirty work for us. We should be cleaning out the Augean Stables ourselves.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    edited February 2022
    Wordle 253 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I have to stop doing these drunk at 00:01.
This discussion has been closed.