Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The mood in former Soviet states – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

TOPPING said:

TimS said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Who is a Russia watcher on here. Is there any world in which Russia has legitimate claims to The Ukraine.

Keep it short and to the point here pls.

tia

No.*
    And "The Ukraine" is Putin's preferred term, not Ukraine's.

*well there is the world in which you get what you demand by overwhelming force.
    It happens to be my preferred term also.
    What's up, The Topping, aren't you getting the answers you'd hoped for?
    I got an excellent answer from @Richard_Tyndall and smartarse ones from everyone else.
    You asked for short and to the point!
    I would have happily written more (although I think Richard's answer is better than what I would have written), so I kept it to just the key point about Russia's explicit treaty acknowledgement of Ukraine's independence and territorial integrity. One line, case closed, what more do you want?

The extra point about the "The" wasn't meant to trigger you, it was additional information that I thought you might find useful. Take it or leave it, I don't care, but you got what you asked for.
    Not from you I didn't. You didn't answer at all you gave me a wiki link. Hence the only substance of your post was to make an idiot of yourself in telling someone how they should refer to a country name which, as @JohnLilburne pointed out, is non-sensical in English.
    Apology accepted
    I bet you're the sort of person who tells people they should pronounce Paris Paris instead of Paris aren't you.
    Yes but how do you pronounce Nice?
    Three years ago I went on holiday to the south of France.

Which was Nice.
    I guess you had nothing, Toulouse?
    I bought some French trousers whilst there. They were Toulon and Toulouse.
    I think you might be Lyon.
    Getting a bit bordeaux of these puns to be honest.
    Someone needs to lay down the Loire about it.
    Nantes!
    Oh dear, this one's going to Rouen and Rouen
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    Pulpstar said:

Has anyone got a detailed list of what Truss has announced.

Is this a joke post?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    TimS said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Who is a Russia watcher on here. Is there any world in which Russia has legitimate claims to The Ukraine.

tia

No.*

*well there is the world in which you get what you demand by overwhelming force.
    I got an excellent answer from @Richard_Tyndall and smartarse ones from everyone else.
    I would have happily written more (although I think Richard's answer is better than what I would have written), so I kept it to just the key point about Russia's explicit treaty acknowledgement of Ukraine's independence and territorial integrity. One line, case closed, what more do you want?

The extra point about the "The" wasn't meant to trigger you, it was additional information that I thought you might find useful. Take it or leave it, I don't care, but you got what you asked for.
    Not from you I didn't. You didn't answer at all you gave me a wiki link. Hence the only substance of your post was to make an idiot of yourself in telling someone how they should refer to a country name which, as @JohnLilburne pointed out, is non-sensical in English.
    Apology accepted
    I bet you're the sort of person who tells people they should pronounce Paris Paris instead of Paris aren't you.

Which was Nice.
    That's not real pain you're showing, though, it's only Champagne.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

So now that Russia are the official baddies can we now have publication of the report into their meddling in our affairs? Surely we can all then collectively boo Putin and put right the damage he has done...

Do you mean this report published in July 2020?

https://isc.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/CCS207_CCS0221966010-001_Russia-Report-v02-Web_Accessible.pdf
    No, that is the limited ISC one that urged Downing Street to order a full enquiry and implement a framework to protect us from future attacks. Big Dog refused. We need the proper report that the ISC says we need to investigate Russian meddling in elections and referendums which Downing Street refuses to look at.

Why is Big Dog afraid of investigating Russia? Aren't they now the big bad who need to be Stopped? How can we stop them if he won't even look at it? Especially when the limited report showed meddling in the Scottish Independence vote - its totally logical to assume further meddling in the Brexit vote and both of the rerun elections of 2017 and 2019.

Here is the reality. The Tories take a lot of money from Russians. The Tories benefited from Russian state meddling in our democratic processes. The Tories say Russia is bad but are happy to take their money and their assistance because the Tories are brazenly corrupt.

So take everything the Big Dog says about Russia with a pinch of salt. They are his mates.
    Do the Tories take Russian money though? I keep hearing this trotted out - is there any evidence of it? I'm tempted to treat this with a pinch of salt, like the Russia-interfered-in-the-2016-US-election meme. It seems on the face if it unlikely. And if so, money from which Russians? Money from the Russian state, or from their fugitives?
    I concede that it also seemed unlikely that Barry Gardiner was taking money from China, or that apparently everyone is taking money from Qatar.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/quarter-boris-johnsons-cabinet-took-25123091

That's one report. There are others. Temerko himself came to a hustings in Stockton South in 2015 to see what his money was being spent on.

If the government are serious about going after Russian money and influence to deter Putin, it would be a good start to stop taking Russian money and influence themselves.
    Temerko is a British citizen.
    Yes, and? Abramovich manages to be Israeli, Portuguese and Russian. Does each new nationality wipe a little more of his background away?

Your argument is truly in bad faith.
    Yes, yes it does. That's the whole point of allowing people to acquire nationality.

Unless you're a blood and soil racist.
    You're an absurdity on this front. Nationality does not supersede intent nor does it wash away uncomfortable backgrounds.

'Blood and soil racist' come on Phil. Some of us wonder where Russian energy moguls acquired their wealth.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2021-01-12/owner-of-tory-donor-company-chaired-firm-linked-to-russian-corruption-allegations

As we have a right to when they are donating millions to the Conservative party.

Don't you see what has happened to the Russian state over the decades? Would you like aspects of it to appear here?
    Sorry but this is nasty racism and xenophobia.

Do you accept that people who emigrate here and take citizenship here are real British citizens?

Or are they second class people with aspersions to be cast upon based upon where they were born?

Either you accept immigrants who've taken up a life and citizenship here or you don't. If Temerko is Russian to you, you're no better than the National Front.
    I am asking:

Where did his wealth come from and why is he giving such a lot of it to the Conservative Party?

That he is a citizen has no bearing on these questions. And does not excuse anyone of actions under another passport.

(Can you argue more than one angle? Because you seem to have prepared heuristics that you beat the conversation down to. Not a man of nuances Mr Roberts)
    He's the director of a British company and has been holding high positions in businesses for decades now.

What evidence do you have of dodgy money other than racism? Is it news to you that directors of successful businesses might be wealthy?
    Someone on the payroll then
    You mean like Alex Salmond at RT?

https://www.rt.com/shows/alex-salmond-show/
    Cretinous
    That's way below your usual standard of invective.

C--

Try harder.
    Seems pretty par for the course. Malcolm is a perfect example of a Nationalist thug, except that instead of throwing rocks through fellow Scots' windows he frequently haunts a political site where he has no hope of engaging in articulate debate because he has zero capability in debating, which makes him amusing, though not in a way that he would like. I suppose the one thing you can say for Salmond is that though he is reputed (by his own QC) to be a sex pest and a bully he is/was pretty articulate unlike his thuggish followers. We can also add No1 Useful idiot to Putin to his dubious CV.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

So now that Russia are the official baddies can we now have publication of the report into their meddling in our affairs? Surely we can all then collectively boo Putin and put right the damage he has done...

https://isc.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/CCS207_CCS0221966010-001_Russia-Report-v02-Web_Accessible.pdf
    No, that is the limited ISC one that urged Downing Street to order a full enquiry and implement a framework to protect us from future attacks. Big Dog refused. We need the proper report that the ISC says we need to investigate Russian meddling in elections and referendums which Downing Street refuses to look at.

Why is Big Dog afraid of investigating Russia? Aren't they now the big bad who need to be Stopped? How can we stop them if he won't even look at it? Especially when the limited report showed meddling in the Scottish Independence vote - its totally logical to assume further meddling in the Brexit vote and both of the rerun elections of 2017 and 2019.

Here is the reality. The Tories take a lot of money from Russians. The Tories benefited from Russian state meddling in our democratic processes. The Tories say Russia is bad but are happy to take their money and their assistance because the Tories are brazenly corrupt.

So take everything the Big Dog says about Russia with a pinch of salt. They are his mates.
    Do the Tories take Russian money though? I keep hearing this trotted out - is there any evidence of it? I'm tempted to treat this with a pinch of salt, like the Russia-interfered-in-the-2016-US-election meme. It seems on the face if it unlikely. And if so, money from which Russians? Money from the Russian state, or from their fugitives?
    I concede that it also seemed unlikely that Barry Gardiner was taking money from China, or that apparently everyone is taking money from Qatar.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/quarter-boris-johnsons-cabinet-took-25123091

That's one report. There are others. Temerko himself came to a hustings in Stockton South in 2015 to see what his money was being spent on.

If the government are serious about going after Russian money and influence to deter Putin, it would be a good start to stop taking Russian money and influence themselves.
    Yes, and? Abramovich manages to be Israeli, Portuguese and Russian. Does each new nationality wipe a little more of his background away?

Yes, yes it does. That's the whole point of allowing people to acquire nationality.

You're an absurdity on this front. Nationality does not supersede intent nor does it wash away uncomfortable backgrounds.

'Blood and soil racist' come on Phil. Some of us wonder where Russian energy moguls acquired their wealth.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2021-01-12/owner-of-tory-donor-company-chaired-firm-linked-to-russian-corruption-allegations

As we have a right to when they are donating millions to the Conservative party.

Don't you see what has happened to the Russian state over the decades? Would you like aspects of it to appear here?

Do you accept that people who emigrate here and take citizenship here are real British citizens?

Or are they second class people with aspersions to be cast upon based upon where they were born?

Either you accept immigrants who've taken up a life and citizenship here or you don't. If Temerko is Russian to you, you're no better than the National Front.
    I am asking:

Where did his wealth come from and why is he giving such a lot of it to the Conservative Party?

That he is a citizen has no bearing on these questions. And does not excuse anyone of actions under another passport.

(Can you argue more than one angle? Because you seem to have prepared heuristics that you beat the conversation down to. Not a man of nuances Mr Roberts)
    He's the director of a British company and has been holding high positions in businesses for decades now.

What evidence do you have of dodgy money other than racism? Is it news to you that directors of successful businesses might be wealthy?

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    Seems pretty par for the course. Malcolm is a perfect example of a Nationalist thug, except that instead of throwing rocks through fellow Scots' windows he frequently haunts a political site where he has no hope of engaging in articulate debate because he has zero capability in debating, which makes him amusing, though not in a way that he would like. I suppose the one thing you can say for Salmond is that though he is reputed (by his own QC) to be a sex pest and a bully he is/was pretty articulate unlike his thuggish followers. We can also add No1 Useful idiot to Putin to his dubious CV.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    I quite like Malcolm.

He’s never rude to me.
    A sure sign he doesn't like you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,995
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Not from you I didn't. You didn't answer at all you gave me a wiki link. Hence the only substance of your post was to make an idiot of yourself in telling someone how they should refer to a country name which, as @JohnLilburne pointed out, is non-sensical in English...
    Except that it isn't, which is why I provided the Atlantic link upthread:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/defending-ukraine/622063/

The government of Ukraine officially deprecates your usage, so the issue of translation doesn't really exist.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18233844
    Full disclosure: I pronounce it Paris.
    We have at least achieved consensus on that.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,059
    TimS said:

Heathener said:

I really dislike the English habit of pronouncing Reims as if it's a wadge of A4.

The French, in which I'm proud to say I'm fluent, is a beautiful sound which is almost impossible to replicate phonetically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJddydzj1s8

And down the same autoroute, Troyes suffers similarly.
    It’s a bit unfair to Hector the Brits for mispronouncing French words.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105

That’s “all of them” isn’t it?

Breaking: The UK will sanction members of the Russian Duma and Federation Council who voted to recognise the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1496132662674796544

Wonder if Moscow will open an Embassy in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,227
    Applicant said:

TimS said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Apology accepted

Which was Nice.
    If you add up all the puns that have been posted on PB, we've probably Saint-Emilion.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,719

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    I quite like Malcolm.

He’s never rude to me.
    It's his way of being friendly.
  • Options
    WASHINGTON (AP) — White House now calling Russian moves on Ukraine an invasion, sets stage for strong sanctions.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1496131492912713729
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Sky announcing a lot more sanctions up the UK's sleeve announced by Liz Truss.

Why didn't Boris announce them in Parliament? Weird.

They have conceded the media narrative that they messed up the response, misjudged the mood, the barrage was nothing of the sort but a weak response. Everything they do now is going to be looked at through that prism, that they are playing catch up after unforced error.

Weird as you say, or incompetent? Stupid?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,338

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    I quite like Malcolm.

He’s never rude to me.
    The best way to handle Malc’s posts to imagine him as a sort of Caledonian Father Jack out of Father Ted.
  • Options

People arguing NS2 suspension is only temporary don’t understand German politics. Inertial forces are gigantic. Once you move to a new position it would take a dramatic improvement to create conditions for a reversal. Do you see Putin reverting yesterday’s declaration?

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1496115630931599367

Sounds like a pause for today an unpause on a different tomorrow not cancellation to me, however Germany wish to spin it. Last week the German leadership were in Ukraine urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin - hence we arn’t shocked they merely paused Nord2 until a day they can unpause.
    Surely it makes sense to pause, rather than cancel, the project? That way the Germans still have the carrot of reopening to wave at Putin. Cancelling would simply remove that option from their arsenal without giving them any advantages.

And I don't believe for a moment that "the German leadership were in Ukraine urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin". Where did you read that?
    “German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who traveled to Kyiv on Feb. 14, tried to talk Zelensky into granting Russian-occupied regions autonomy, which is one of the key demands made by the Kremlin.”

https://kyivindependent.com/national/sources-germany-france-ask-zelensky-to-comply-with-russias-spin-of-minsk-agreements/
    Right, so they weren't actually urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin. They were suggesting that Zelansky might consider granting the regions a degree of autonomy, which, on the face of it, might have been a way of defusing the situation. Why the need for the ridiculous spin on your part?
  • Options
    The Scottish Government will adopt three threat risk levels that could see restrictions reimposed, Nicola Sturgeon had said.

Setting out the contingency strategy for low, medium and high risks, the First Minister told MSPs: “If a new variant emerged that was more transmissible and more severe, perhaps with the ability to evade vaccine or natural immunity, this would likely be classified as high risk. In those circumstances, we might advise people to limit social contacts for a period; and to work from home where possible and we may introduce some temporary protections for high-risk settings.

“If a new variant was either more transmissible or more severe, but not both, as is the case with Omicron, the initial threat assessment would likely be medium. In these circumstances, there may be a legal requirement to wear face coverings in some settings and we might issue guidance for businesses and service providers on reasonable measures to reduce the spread of Covid on their premises.

“Lastly, in the absence of a new variant, or if a new variant was neither more transmissible nor more severe, and if vaccines continue to be effective, the threat classification would likely remain low. Obviously, this is the level we hope to reach and stay at on a sustainable basis.

“In these circumstances, there would be no legally imposed protective measures. Instead, we would continue to advise individuals and organisations to adopt sensible public health behaviours.”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendumnews/19943001.nicola-sturgeon-update-live-covid-roadmap-published/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

Scott_xP said:

Plenty of MPs, including some Tories, are making it obvious in the Commons they don't think the UK sanctions match the PM's rhetoric and don't go far enough
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1496117748648361986

Bloody armchair generals....
    No arms. Bench generals
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Apology accepted

Which was Nice.
    Sure, cuz money's too tight to Menton....
    Eze tiger..
    Game, Sète and match.....
    (a) Brest of the situation, as usual?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    I quite like Malcolm.

He’s never rude to me.
    The best way to handle Malc’s posts to imagine him as a sort of Caledonian Father Jack out of Father Ted.
    @malcolmg For Pope!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

They have conceded the media narrative that they messed up the response, misjudged the mood, the barrage was nothing of the sort but a weak response. Everything they do now is going to be looked at through that prism, that they are playing catch up after unforced error.

Weird as you say, or incompetent? Stupid?
    They make shit up as they go along. That’s why I hate Johnson. Not because he’s a liar. Because he’s a bullshitter. There can be necessary, well crafted, even admirable lies. But he’s a peddler of bullshit - the instant coffee of untruths. He’s too lazy to do anything but make crap up as and when he thinks it necessary.
    The post of the month.

Nailed it and him.
  • Options

People arguing NS2 suspension is only temporary don’t understand German politics. Inertial forces are gigantic. Once you move to a new position it would take a dramatic improvement to create conditions for a reversal. Do you see Putin reverting yesterday’s declaration?

Sounds like a pause for today an unpause on a different tomorrow not cancellation to me, however Germany wish to spin it. Last week the German leadership were in Ukraine urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin - hence we arn’t shocked they merely paused Nord2 until a day they can unpause.
    Surely it makes sense to pause, rather than cancel, the project? That way the Germans still have the carrot of reopening to wave at Putin. Cancelling would simply remove that option from their arsenal without giving them any advantages.

And I don't believe for a moment that "the German leadership were in Ukraine urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin". Where did you read that?
    “German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who traveled to Kyiv on Feb. 14, tried to talk Zelensky into granting Russian-occupied regions autonomy, which is one of the key demands made by the Kremlin.”

https://kyivindependent.com/national/sources-germany-france-ask-zelensky-to-comply-with-russias-spin-of-minsk-agreements/
    Right, so they weren't actually urging the Ukraine government to surrender that territory to Putin. They were suggesting that Zelansky might consider granting the regions a degree of autonomy, which, on the face of it, might have been a way of defusing the situation. Why the need for the ridiculous spin on your part?
    Granting the regions "autonomy" = giving them to Russia, in this situation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,174

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Apology accepted

Which was Nice.
    If you add up all the puns that have been posted on PB, we've probably Saint-Emilion.
    Crikey, that's a Lot.....
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

That’s “all of them” isn’t it?

Breaking: The UK will sanction members of the Russian Duma and Federation Council who voted to recognise the independence of Donetsk and Luhansk.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1496132662674796544

Wonder if Moscow will open an Embassy in Edinburgh.
    Or Cardiffov, capital of the newly recognised autonomous republic of Walesesk?
  • Options
    Alex Salmond's Alba party asks West to think about 'Russia's security interests' in Ukrainian crisis
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19942995.alex-salmonds-alba-party-asks-west-think-russias-security-interests-ukrainian-crisis/
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437

The Scottish Government will adopt three threat risk levels that could see restrictions reimposed, Nicola Sturgeon had said.

Setting out the contingency strategy for low, medium and high risks, the First Minister told MSPs: “If a new variant emerged that was more transmissible and more severe, perhaps with the ability to evade vaccine or natural immunity, this would likely be classified as high risk. In those circumstances, we might advise people to limit social contacts for a period; and to work from home where possible and we may introduce some temporary protections for high-risk settings.

“If a new variant was either more transmissible or more severe, but not both, as is the case with Omicron, the initial threat assessment would likely be medium. In these circumstances, there may be a legal requirement to wear face coverings in some settings and we might issue guidance for businesses and service providers on reasonable measures to reduce the spread of Covid on their premises.

“Lastly, in the absence of a new variant, or if a new variant was neither more transmissible nor more severe, and if vaccines continue to be effective, the threat classification would likely remain low. Obviously, this is the level we hope to reach and stay at on a sustainable basis.

“In these circumstances, there would be no legally imposed protective measures. Instead, we would continue to advise individuals and organisations to adopt sensible public health behaviours.”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendumnews/19943001.nicola-sturgeon-update-live-covid-roadmap-published/

So essentially permanent threat levels then. Genius.
  • Options

Russian stock offerings in London that had just started gathering pace again have ground to a halt as the U.K. explores sanctions in response to Russia’s military buildup around Ukraine.

Share sales by Russian companies raised $2.4 billion in Britain last year, the most since 2017, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Now, appetite for London-listed Russian stocks is quickly evaporating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-22/russia-s-u-k-stock-sales-dry-up-as-johnson-rolls-out-sanctions

Seize the assets of every Russian in UK with more than say £1m. Make them regret any involvement with Putin. Time to fight back hard.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    https://twitter.com/jackshawlpc/status/1496119617630220289?s=21

A fortnight ago the #LevellingUp White Paper recognised that "the UK’s centralised governance model means local actors have too rarely been empowered". Last week, the Government announced it's "looking into concerns" after Haringey published its local magazine too frequently.
  • Options

Granting the regions "autonomy" = giving them to Russia, in this situation.
    Not quite.
  • Options
    Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Rishi’s Approval Rating Goes Negative

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1496137082858885130
  • Options

Russian stock offerings in London that had just started gathering pace again have ground to a halt as the U.K. explores sanctions in response to Russia’s military buildup around Ukraine.

Share sales by Russian companies raised $2.4 billion in Britain last year, the most since 2017, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Now, appetite for London-listed Russian stocks is quickly evaporating.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-22/russia-s-u-k-stock-sales-dry-up-as-johnson-rolls-out-sanctions

Seize the assets of every Russian in UK with more than say £1m. Make them regret any involvement with Putin. Time to fight back hard.
    Yep.

Absolutely typical that we've left Roman Abramovitch untouched. One of dozens.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,978

Does every Russian with more than £1m in London have ties to Putin? £1m won't get you a 3 bed semi in zone 2...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Plenty of MPs, including some Tories, are making it obvious in the Commons they don't think the UK sanctions match the PM's rhetoric and don't go far enough

Bloody armchair generals....
    No arms. Bench generals
    Well, as long as they are armless....
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Does every Russian with more than £1m in London have ties to Putin? £1m won't get you a 3 bed semi in zone 2...
    My friend Olga must have more than £1m tied up in her house back in N1, but sincerely doubt she’s got a damn thing to do with Putin
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Applicant said:

TimS said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

TimS said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Apology accepted

Which was Nice.
    Crikey, that's a Lot.....
    Don't be a Donbas ...
  • Options
    “If you have Covid symptoms, you should continue to go for a PCR test. Access to these tests will remain free of charge at testing sites across the country.

“Second, you should continue to make regular use of lateral flow tests even if you don’t have symptoms.

“The only immediate change we are making to current arrangements on lateral flow tests for the general population is in our advice on the frequency of testing.

Instead of advice to test before going anywhere to mix with others, we will, from Monday, revert to advice to test at least twice a week and in particular if you are going to a crowded place or mixing with someone who is clinically vulnerable.

“Lateral flow tests will remain free of charge in the transition phase.”

More like “living with fear and control” than “living with COVID”.
  • Options

Guido Fawkes
    @GuidoFawkes

Rishi’s Approval Rating Goes Negative

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1496137082858885130

Wow.

I really think he missed his chance. Will we look back 5 years from now and say, 'Remember when Rishi Sunak was a shoo-in for PM?'
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,065

A fortnight ago the #LevellingUp White Paper recognised that "the UK’s centralised governance model means local actors have too rarely been empowered". Last week, the Government announced it's "looking into concerns" after Haringey published its local magazine too frequently.

Isn't the actual allegation there (they it's not stated out loud) that a borough magazine acts as a party political publication for the party in power.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706
    Farooq said:

kjh said:

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris has misjudged this. The whole house wants more done.
    Too early to say this. This might prove correct, but an extra few hours aligning multiple countries isn't the end of the world.
    Multilateral action is a good instinct to have here, let's wait and see.
    Sorry I badly worded that. He has misjudged the house (maybe not in what he done). MPs from all sides wanting more and in particular worried there won't be more sanctions if Putin doesn't move further but doesn't withdraw. Multiple MPs from all sides asking for clarification on that and getting a woolly answer each time.

There were a few MPs on both sides asking very good questions. Nice to see bipartisan politics. All too rare.

PS That question just asked again (umpteenth time)
    Unfortunately, woolly answers are probably appropriate here. You don't want to be doing international diplomacy on the hoof in parliament. MPs asking the right questions, PM right to not want to tie his own hands in this arena.
    It probably only looks frustrating because politicians, especially Boris, tend to do this when they don't need to. So it sounds like business as usual waffle. But put yourself in the PM's shoes. The private conversations will be happening behind the scenes, and the PM is saying what he can right now in the house. Everything here appears to be working as it should, as a dialogue, promptly but not in a headlong rush.
    I don't agree, although I might be in a minority here or it might be you are not aware of the question. Generally MPs are unhappy about the level of sanctions (understandable, but I agree with you this may be down to the negotiations behind the scenes). However Boris gave the impression (possibly incorrectly because of clumsy wording in his reply) that sanctions would only increase further if Putin made further incursions into Ukraine, rather than if Putin refused to remove troops from the current incursion. MPs repeatedly wanted clarification on that because it seemed wrong, weak and contradictory re previous statement regarding sanctions if Ukraine was invaded and to be honest it wasn't clear that Boris even meant that anyway because his answer was confusing.

Not unreasonably MPs were concerned and wanted clarification. Often (particularly on the Tory benches) they welcomed what he has said, but wanted clarification of what he was saying if Putin stayed put (no further advance, but no retreat either).

Do we all not agree that if Putin stays put where he is that it is unacceptable for us all to go 'Oh ok then, that's fine'.

That is all they were all repeatedly asking.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    kyf_100 said:

Seize the assets of Russian dissidents then?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    Heathener said:

For the record, I find adding the definite article (erroneously) to road names rather irritating. I try to avoid it.

Do you approach Buckingham Palace through a mall then?
    Nope, via The Mall, because that is its name. See also, The Bishops Avenue, N2 and The Avenue (London E4 or London W4).

My issue is adding the definite article where non exists, as I said in my OP.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    eek said:

Isn't the actual allegation there (they it's not stated out loud) that a borough magazine acts as a party political publication for the party in power.
    Apparently Pickles brought in legislation banning the publication of local magazines more than quarterly or something.

Probably because of the reasons you cite.

But it’s a good example of the utter lunacy of UK centralisation and why the country will never, in fact, level up.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

My friend Olga must have more than £1m tied up in her house back in N1, but sincerely doubt she’s got a damn thing to do with Putin
    What about Marina Litvinenko? - she has a house in London IIRC
  • Options
    darkage said:

kyf_100 said:

Seize the assets of Russian dissidents then?
    I think the point is that there are an awful lot of Putin's friends who have washed dirty money through London. Examination and sanction would be good, whilst of course giving safe harbour to his opponents.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

I am asking:

Cretinous

C--

Try harder.
    I quite like Malcolm.

He’s never rude to me.
    Perhaps you have never said anything vaguely critical of Salmond or Scottish Nationalism. He is a vile and rude little man, but then what should one expect from the number 1 fanboy of someone as repulsive as Salmond?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    Understand this needs secondary legislation... which could be some way off. https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1496134586606182409
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,417

Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

This is so very typical.
    Almost as predictable as your response, tbf.

I find that if I'm critical of everything Boris Johnson does I'm not disappointed
    Until election night..... 😂
    No you are wrong.

I can see a Johnsonian renaissance. He is PM Sine Die, or a retirement in circa 25 years at 80. He has no shame, and useful idiots like Livingstone, Corbyn and Putin keep cropping up at perfect points in his timeline.

I will either be dead or past caring by then.

I have missed today's events until I heard the BBC R2 news bulletin at 1500 eulogising Johnson and strangely enough Mrs May. Starmer must have been utterly useless in the HoC today as his only mention was he agreed fully with Big Dog.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 146
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

tia

No.

But, outside the legitimate worldview, a Russian nationalist might claim that it was always part of their fantasy 'greater Russia' and would place great cultural importance to it, and no doubt Putin is playing on this emotional attachment.

Russia in the early Middle Ages had its capital in Kiev, and Kievan Rus was, by the standards of the day, relatively progressive and decentralised. Then the Mongols invaded, and ever since, Moscow became the centre of power and centralised autocracy the order of the day. As has already been said Kiev was for centuries part of Lithuania, later in personal union with Poland, until Catherine the Great's Russia partitioned it in the late 18th century.
  • Options
    Caroline Lucas
    @CarolineLucas
    ·
    40m
    PM's list of sanctions against Moscow doesn’t go nearly far enough. When I asked him for a proper investigation into Kremlin meddling in our own politics, he said he’s not aware of any

Presumably that's because he hasn't bothered to look. Has he even read the Russia Report?

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    I think that we will want to look very hard at dual nationality rights in the case of Russia and other hostile countries. It is possible to acquire UK citizenship very easily, and could be undertaken cynically by people with connections to hostile regimes.
  • Options
    And now for an unpopular view.

I do think tough sanctions and asset seizure is required. But if Putin goes no further (and I don't call this an invasion) I think we should stop right there. A lot of noise and then we hope that three, six, months from now the separatists states have been another casualty of oligarchy but war in Europe has been avoided.

I recognise however that we're dealing with a madman.
  • Options
    This is highly unusual - deputies of Russia's Federation Council recalled after the end of their usual working day for a 6 pm closed-door session (so, happening now)

https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/1496139568592076806
  • Options
    This:

Harriet Sergeant
    @HarrietSergeant
    ·
    1h
    There’s only one sanction that will work. Lock up Russians oligarchs and Putin backers in Russia with no access to their European playground. Do a North Korea on them.

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1496118195345887240
  • Options

Heathener said:

For the record, I find adding the definite article (erroneously) to road names rather irritating. I try to avoid it.

Do you approach Buckingham Palace through a mall then?
    as I said in my OP.

Sorry. It's often impossible for an occasional visitor to scroll back especially on a big news day.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    darkage said:

I think that we will want to look very hard at dual nationality rights in the case of Russia and other hostile countries. It is possible to acquire UK citizenship very easily, and could be undertaken cynically by people with connections to hostile regimes.

They already stopped new applications for Tier 1 visas, tbf.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-russian-donors-have-stepped-tory-funding/

'But wonder on Cookie, till truth make all things plain.'
    Wonder if our Russian paymasters will attempt to oust Boris - nothing else seems to work.
  • Options

This:

Harriet Sergeant
    @HarrietSergeant
    ·
    1h
    There’s only one sanction that will work. Lock up Russians oligarchs and Putin backers in Russia with no access to their European playground. Do a North Korea on them.

Shutting down Chelsea Football Club and slapping Abramovitch in the clappers would be an interesting one.

I think TSE would be pleased at the first part.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I do think tough sanctions and asset seizure is required. But if Putin goes no further (and I don't call this an invasion) I think we should stop right there. A lot of noise and then we hope that three, six, months from now the separatists states have been another casualty of oligarchy but war in Europe has been avoided.

I don't think he is mad in the real sense. He has psychopathy and megalomania, both which could be regarded as a type of "madness", but I think he is, very sadly, extremely rational. Everything has been calculated. Whether those calculations turn out to be miscalculations, only time will tell.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I don't think he is mad in the real sense. He has psychopathy and megalomania, both which could be regarded as a type of "madness", but I think he is, very sadly, extremely rational. Everything has been calculated. Whether those calculations turn out to be miscalculations, only time will tell.
    I thought last night's address was really pretty unhinged though tbh. No?
  • Options
    LDLF said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.

But, outside the legitimate worldview, a Russian nationalist might claim that it was always part of their fantasy 'greater Russia' and would place great cultural importance to it, and no doubt Putin is playing on this emotional attachment.

Russia in the early Middle Ages had its capital in Kiev, and Kievan Rus was, by the standards of the day, relatively progressive and decentralised. Then the Mongols invaded, and ever since, Moscow became the centre of power and centralised autocracy the order of the day. As has already been said Kiev was for centuries part of Lithuania, later in personal union with Poland, until Catherine the Great's Russia partitioned it in the late 18th century.
    For scale/reference - occasionally people (including myself) make a joke of The Treaty of Troyes. The above is equivalent to seriously believing that the Treaty of Troyes should be enforced by war......
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Not sure.

The most sustainable solution here is that Ukraine be a buffer state between NATO/EU and Russia. Regrettably, the West should also accept the annexation of Crimea.

But that requires Russian withdrawal from Donbas etc and the closing down of these Potemkin People’s Republics. But Putin is doubling down…
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    What I simply don’t understand about the graduated approach to Boris Johnson’s sanctions against Russian banks and oligarchs is anyone who thinks they will be targeted will now be shipping their liquid assets out of London by the lorry load
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1496140100316639247
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

I think he is in a late stage of Victory Disease - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_disease

He has been rolling 6s on the international stage for a long time.
  • Options

This is highly unusual - deputies of Russia's Federation Council recalled after the end of their usual working day for a 6 pm closed-door session (so, happening now)

Their authorisation would be needed to use the Russian military outside the newly recognised republics.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

But that's what we did in 2014 and 8 years later he tears up the Minsk agreement.

There were no realistic sanctions that hurt after Flight 17 was shot down. Did we in the West just not care.

I don't know the answer, but if we give this b*****d and inch he will be at Calais before we know it. By some means he needs to leave the Kremlin feet first.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

This:

Harriet Sergeant
    @HarrietSergeant
    ·
    1h

Except, most of the high-end retail in London is aimed at the daughters of Russian oligarchs.....

EDIT: Oh sorry, that's not your daughter - that's your wife?
  • Options

This:

Harriet Sergeant
    @HarrietSergeant
    ·
    1h

Except, most of the high-end retail in London is aimed at the daughters of Russian oligarchs.....
    Oh no! But anyway...

How could we conceivably manage Chinese interference in London if we can't handle Russian money when it is this obvious?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528
    edited February 2022

This:

Harriet Sergeant
    @HarrietSergeant
    ·
    1h

There you go then. She is right to say this is just their playground where they spend the ill gotten gains from petrochemicals and so on.

Tough for retailers, but we are now effectively at war.
  • Options

Heathener said:

but if we give this b*****d and inch he will be at Calais before we know it. .
    No no. Calais is a shithole and never part of the Greater Russia.

Jesting aside, I do think you need to calm down a tad. He's not about to invade western Europe.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Heathener said:

Of course you don't, you were wrong and won't even admit it.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,336
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.*

Although of course when speaking Russian he can say no such thing.

The Ukrainian argument is based on English usage, not Russian or Ukrainian, neither of which languages have articles.

The argument is that as you do not generally use the word "the" to refer to countries in English, if you do so it makes it sound like a geographical area rather than a country.
    Generally being the operative word there.
    There have always been a smattering, though over time they have fallen out of fashion. 'The Argentine' is the only other one which springs to mind in the vaguely modern era.

Not many articles attached to geographical areas either - the one which springs to mind is 'The Wirral'.

On a similar note, am I right that we have now started calling the capital city Kyiv rather than Kiev because the former is Ukrainian and the latter is Russian? If so, it isn't the only place where we call a city by the language its inhabitants don't use. In particular, we often seem to use French where the locals do not (e.g. we call it Bruges, as the French do, whereas the locals call it Brugge; we call it Basle, as the French do, while locals call it Basel.)

Interestingly, I think both German and French speakers refer to Switzerland with a definite article: Der Schweiz and La Suisse. In German, at least, it is not standard to do this to a country.

Also while I'm on about it: why does the Hague have a definite article?
    Pedantry: it's "die Schweiz" (feminine like la Suisse). der Schweiz would be dative or genitive. German also has "die Türkei"
  • Options
    Sky reporting the EU are proposing rather tepid initial sanctions on Russia
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Their authorisation would be needed to use the Russian military outside the newly recognised republics.
    I assume there'll be a robust debate about this ?
  • Options
    Powerful speech:

If you're gonna listen to any speech about #Ukraine 🇺🇦, let it be this one.

The Kenya ambassador to the UNSC perfectly explains how people across Africa understand Ukraine, and what the Kremlin's acts of aggression mean in our post-colonial world.

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1495978202728210435
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Perhaps, but like all politicians, he is an actor. I imagine it is largely calculated. The problem with people that have been in power too long is that they start to genuinely believe their own genius, and I guess you could see that as a type of madness, but from his point of view, things have gone his way quite a bit; the silencing of his critics, alliance with China, Crimea, Trump, Brexit. He will fuck up eventually, we just have to hope he doesn't kill too many people as part of the collateral damage.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What I simply don’t understand about the graduated approach to Boris Johnson’s sanctions against Russian banks and oligarchs is anyone who thinks they will be targeted will now be shipping their liquid assets out of London by the lorry load

Yep, Nevis offshore (St Kitts and Nevis) is one of their most favoured destinations. Total anonymity. Full of Russian money.
  • Options
    Thank fecking Christ that both Corbyn and Trump recently lost national elections in their countries.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Putin apologist.

Russian troops are literally in Ukraine right now. How is that "not an invasion".

You are a disgrace.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

😃 I don’t even understand why you are digging yourself deeper into a hole arguing with me on this point.

I’ll place it into a sitrep so you get the full story to then make your judgement on.

The Normandy Team created the Minsk Protocols. You know who they are? Ukraine France, Germany and Russia.

Ukraine agreed to hold refs in two rebellious regions (guess who) but havn’t done so because they claim the places are full of paramilitaries so it can’t be a free and fair election (my mind went to the Good `Friday Agreement)

Both France and Germany went to Ukraine after meeting Putin first and told them to stop prevaricating over enforcing that part of Minsk2 and hold the referendums. The refs would have resulted in vote to cede from Ukraine, immediately tanks would have rolled into them to keep the peace and firm the new border.

EXACTLY THE SAME AS YESTERDAY, BUT PERFECTLY LEGALLY.

This WAS the German and France position last week. All I am saying in the previous post is, let’s take with a pinch of salt how they seek to suggest their position is different this week.

Why are you arguing?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

but if we give this b*****d and inch he will be at Calais before we know it. .
    No no. Calais is a shithole and never part of the Greater Russia.

Jesting aside, I do think you need to calm down a tad. He's not about to invade western Europe.
    Eastern Germany was part of greater Russia post war.

I have no idea what to do next, but it looks to me like you are standing on the aircraft steps at Heston waving papers at me.
  • Options

Thank fecking Christ that both Corbyn and Trump recently lost national elections in their countries.

Indeed, but neither of them have exactly been beaten by latter day Churchill and Roosevelts have they?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I assume there'll be a robust debate about this ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUktJbp2Ug
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706

Agree. I thought it a poor response and some confusing answers given. I accept what @Farooq says about diplomacy, but still not impressed with level of sanctions nor the confusing answers given to MPs questions.

On the other hand I thought the MPs were generally very good from all side with some very good questions asked.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Caroline Lucas
    @CarolineLucas
    ·
    40m
    PM's list of sanctions against Moscow doesn’t go nearly far enough. When I asked him for a proper investigation into Kremlin meddling in our own politics, he said he’s not aware of any

Presumably that's because he hasn't bothered to look. Has he even read the Russia Report?

Bitch slapped by The Greens for promised Barrage at Putin being nothing more than a Pea shooter response is very definition of trolling 😧

Not a good day for Boris and his government.

However I will cross reference this with Snookie, my green friend on the ground in Bristol and report back to you. 👍🏻
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,995
    Interesting (ie not easy) case involving Chris Mullin:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/22/birmingham-six-journalist-hearing-reporters-ban

Does the right of journalists to protect sources extend to an IRA bomber from the mid 70s ?
  • Options
    Has anybody seen anything out of the Swiss re sanctions so far? Whilst the UK is a big player re Russian money it would help if the Swiss also clamped down or does their “neutrality” supersede this?

Also would be helpful if Greece and Turkey put pressure on their halves of Cyprus as a huge hub for Russian money and corporate structures along with Malta and Montenegro.
  • Options
    I was personally involved in the contingency planning at BAE to move Type 26 shipbuilding operations from Glasgow to Portsmouth and/or Barrow in 2013/14. It was a real issue, and it would have happened. That's why I was motivated to become actively involved in the 'No' campaign.

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/1496142874597109770
  • Options
    boulay said:

Has anybody seen anything out of the Swiss re sanctions so far? Whilst the UK is a big player re Russian money it would help if the Swiss also clamped down or does their “neutrality” supersede this?

Also would be helpful if Greece and Turkey put pressure on their halves of Cyprus as a huge hub for Russian money and corporate structures along with Malta and Montenegro.

German banking is interesting to look at as well.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Agree. I thought it a poor response and some confusing answers given. I accept what @Farooq says about diplomacy, but still not impressed with level of sanctions nor the confusing answers given to MPs questions.

On the other hand I thought the MPs were generally very good from all side with some very good questions asked.
    The EU hasn't agreed their suite of sanctions yet (Hungary playing silly buggers).

And nobody has woken Biden up yet, so the Yanks can't tell us theirs either.....
  • Options

Caroline Lucas
    @CarolineLucas
    ·
    40m

Bitch slapped by The Greens for promised Barrage at Putin being nothing more than a Pea shooter response is very definition of trolling 😧

However I will cross reference this with Snookie, my green friend on the ground in Bristol and report back to you. 👍🏻
    I wonder how long it will be before some good quality investigative reporting will pull the lid on Russian interference in the UK and US. I won't just be damaging for teh Tories.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should put sanctions on Gerhard Schröder.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep, Nevis offshore (St Kitts and Nevis) is one of their most favoured destinations. Total anonymity. Full of Russian money.
    I don't think there are many Russian oligarchs with millions sitting in UK bank accounts. Property, yes. Offshore funds accessible in the UK, also yes.
  • Options
    I always knew this French punning contest would fizzle out - not so much a Bayonne as a Quimper.....
  • Options

Perhaps we should put sanctions on Gerhard Schröder.

He is a wholly owned subsidiary of Gazprom.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Putin apologist.

Russian troops are literally in Ukraine right now. How is that "not an invasion".

You are a disgrace.
    No she's not. She has a point of view which is pragmatic but dangerous in the longer term.

Your boy nor the EU haven't exactly covered themselves with glory today. Sequester the dodgy Russian money now. All of it!
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 146
    edited February 2022

LDLF said:

TOPPING said:

tia

No.

For scale/reference - occasionally people (including myself) make a joke of The Treaty of Troyes. The above is equivalent to seriously believing that the Treaty of Troyes should be enforced by war......
    Yes, good comparison. Our monarchs did keep the claimant title 'King of France' right up until the French Revolution - I guess when the incumbent loses his head the job rather loses its appeal.

There are any number of claims that would work under the same bizarre logic, since European borders have changed so much - it would be like Spain, Austria and the Netherlands each claiming the right to conquer Belgium, or the UK claiming Ireland isn't a country.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

THOSE WHO ARE FRIENDS AND APOLOGISTS OF THE AGGRESSOR ARE ALSO THE AGGRESSOR.

All sort of tough painful Decisions to be made today, for a range of governments and other organisations to prove, rather than say, they oppose Mad Vlad’s aggression (not just the tanks on someone else’s sovereign land, but his disgraceful remarks threatening everybody in his crazed address)

Gazprom feature heavily, as it’s four of their pipelines which now should not be used, but also they should be cut off from UEFA completely and champions league final moved. Ditto F1 have to take action pronto, strip Putin of his race and look at the funding from his regime.

Boris needs to do 2 things to prove he is serious, he needs to be vocal that Nord cannot be used by Europe, not just announce our sanctions today but speak up and say Gazprom/Putin pipelines cannot be used, but also be more straight with us that what he is calling for does impact us, as where UK gets it’s Gas must now have heavy competition for it, Boris already got off to a bad start today talking spin and bollocks about this part to the British People. He can’t try to make out the sanctions and counter sanctions won’t hurt us, he needs to be straight with us about this.

Western Europe (not the UK - we get most of our gas from North Sea and Norway) can't stop using Russian gas altogether. Going... er.. cold turkey would stuff a fair number of countries.

Not using Nord Stream 2 is the key - it is designed so that Russia can send gas to Western Europe, while cutting off the Near Abroad (aka the bits Russia wants to steal back). So if it goes into operation, Putin can play off Western and Eastern Europe.

Sounds like the German government is pausing that, according to a report in the Independent.
    It sounds also that Germany is getting serious about changing the longer term direction of energy policy, too.
    While that won't make any immediate impact, it could significantly reduce dependency on Russian gas over time.
    Germany keeping the nuclear plants running, at least until there’s other sources of electricity to replace them, might be a reasonable starting point.
    Everyone getting their arses in gear with the deployment of renewables would also be a good idea, both for the climate and for geopolitical stability. Enough of the foot dragging.
    With a supportive government, we could have 8-10 tidal power stations on stream by the early 2030's, many of them starting partial production sooner. Each when complete the energy output of a Sizewell C. Popular. Creating 80,000 jobs in the process. And dependable electricity for centuries to come, at a fraction of the cost of nuclear. Without the waste along the way, without the risk of Chernobyl/Fukushima disaster along the way, without the massive costs of dismantling them at the end of their useful life.

C'mon Boris, you said you supported them on your hustings tour of Wales. Now deliver them. That is the sharpest kick you can give to Putin's shins.
    Have you tried bribing somebody? I'm joking but I'm not.
  • Options

boulay said:

German banking is interesting to look at as well.
    Well yes. Just this morning I turned down a project where the client was a Russian national using Commerzbank to hold ridiculous amounts of funds and I cannot tell you the sizes I’ve seen sitting at Deutsche in Frankfurt over the last few years.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Caroline Lucas
    @CarolineLucas
    ·
    40m

I wonder how long it will be before some good quality investigative reporting will pull the lid on Russian interference in the UK and US. I won't just be damaging for teh Tories.
    Absolutely. I have been say this for weeks. It hasn’t happened and won’t happen by the politicians because they are all up to eyebrows in it - libdem literally sleeping with the enemy, Barry Gardner got off Scot free for accepting half a million.

For the same reason the press won’t go there. But that is what the front of the Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph is there for, if it was all party’s but Tories you would have seen the lid lifted there by now. The fact is they never will lift it, so do we the people actually have a free press? Because we can even question where the papers get their scoops from, like the Mail destroying the British Ambassador in Washington.

As I said for months, it’s our security forces trying to keep us a free fair functioningdemocracy with all this corruption and greed going on I feel sorry for. ☹️
  • Options

I always knew this French punning contest would fizzle out - not so much a Bayonne as a Quimper.....

Any more of that and you'll be taken away in the back of a Vannes.
This discussion has been closed.