Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Leaving the sinking ship? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Strange snippet

Mirza is married to Dougie Smith, a former senior Conservative party aide .... She had a son in 2013.[5]

You might want to recheck wikipedia...and edit your post.
    And you to Google munira mirza husband. I may look stupid, but I am just bright enough to double source that sort of thing. Especially on a page I myself edited this afternoon.
    My apologises. You are quite right. Apparently unashamedly so.

Wonder who is busy taking it down from wikipedia given this is the case?
    Fascinating looking at the wikipedia edit history for that page. It's been furiously updated and reupdated all afternoon.
    The person who took down the detail about Dougie Smith appears now - if I am reading it correctly, which I may well not be - on to editing a list of Eastenders characters.
    One of the problems of wikipedia is that some truly weird people get to be in control of pages. It's not so much partisans of one side or another as people who make QAnon types look centred and reasonable.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    Sunak is bound to be asked whether he agrees with Mirza or the PM at this presser.
    How does he answer?

Just announce he is resigning from Cabinet and will seek a leadership election at the earliest moment.

Or be Dave Miliband.

Purnell has just walked from Johnson's bunker.
    I feel it is too late now for anyone who remains in government, all this time after the Starmer smear, to recover credibility as a PM candidate. An open goal now for Tugendhat, Hunt et al.

Neither of whom the Tory membership will vote for.

A Boris loyalist like Truss would easily beat them once it gets to the membership if Boris was forced out.

As would Sunak if he is still seen as not having betrayed Boris
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this one kept away from the membership, and sorted out in parliament.
    Only way that happens is if MPs can not only VONC Boris and over 50% of them vote to remove him but then ensure a Hunt and Sunak final 2 which could see Hunt pull out.

If Truss got to the final 2 she would certainly not pull out but make sure it went to the membership as she knows she could then win it with the members and become PM.

Truss' hardline with the EU on Art 16 and backing the DUP in removing the Irish Sea border checks was clear red meat to the party base, following her status as a committed Brexiteer now and her lack of enthusiasm for the NI rise (unlike Sunak) and her reluctance to support Covid restrictions
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Boris needs a face-saving exit. The revolver on the mahogany table, with a tumbler of Highland Park

If he’s not careful he will end up like Mussolini or Gadaffi (metaphorically). Not dignified

He needs some excuse to resign that somehow seems principled. What could it be? Long Covid? He’s left it a bit late to suddenly start saying Oh I’m too ill. But what else is there?

Trump held on even when he had lost the EC in 2020 and refused to concede defeat until eventually Congress awarded the election to Biden.

Corbyn even lost a VONC in 2016 amongst his MPs, refused to resign and went to a membership vote where he was re elected and stayed leader until defeat at the 2019 general election.

Boris is as stubborn as Trump and Corbyn, he will not resign even if there is a VONC and even if he only wins it 50.5% to 49.5%
    As I have pointed out before, if Johnson loses a VONC of Tory MPs there is no constitutional requirement for him to resign. He can wait for Starmer to table a VONC in Parliament and dare the PCP to desert him. If they do he can challenge Starmer to a general election to which the latter can hardly demur. His position is hopeless so anything could happen.
    I understood that TSE had already comprehensively scotched this idea quoting the Tory party rulebook. If he loses the party VONC he is out. There will be a new leader of the Tory party and it will be up to that person to try to command a majority in Parliament. But Johnson will be done.

And currently a GE requires 66% of the MPs whilst a new Tory leader only needs a majority of 1.
    Two different VONCs
    - Tory party - he's out and can't run, so far as I recall.
    - Commons - somebody else needs to form a government. I'm not at all sure that Boris can't just reform. HMQ simply invites aspirants so far as I know. Most likely a GE would result. There's no way Tory MPs want a GE now, so this route is unlikely.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Boris needs a face-saving exit. The revolver on the mahogany table, with a tumbler of Highland Park

If he’s not careful he will end up like Mussolini or Gadaffi (metaphorically). Not dignified

He needs some excuse to resign that somehow seems principled. What could it be? Long Covid? He’s left it a bit late to suddenly start saying Oh I’m too ill. But what else is there?

He missed the long covid boat. He shound have deployed that last summer.
    Yes, because he'd admit he's been unfit to be PM in at least one crucial sense, for a whole year and more [edit] if he now handed in his jotters.
    If he had gone in the summer, he could have claimed, I have been suffering from long COVID, I have good days and bad, I hoped that I would be able to get over it, but after consultation with my doctor they have suggested that high levels of demand placed on any PM is harming any chances of making a full recovery from this appalling illness.

And the thing is I actually believe this has been the case.
    Yes, me too

@MaxPB made a good point on the last thread. The Savile thing looks like classic Crosby, but maybe it was totally mishandled by Boris, because he’s not functioning at even 50% capacity

Because there are some questions to be asked about Starmer’s term as DPP, on various points, but the way Boris did it was blundering oafish and just damn ugly. Making it easy for Starmer to be aggrieved and making Boris look so bad he has had to say sorry 3 days later

This is just crap basic politics, and the old Boris - the funny, campaigning Boris - would not have made these egregious errors

"The old funny campaigning Boris".

Aw, poignant. So poignant. But c'mon, don't feel down, you'll always have Paris ... sorry I mean Brexit. Brexit.

And that 'Love Actually' PPB he did. God, remember that? It was AMAZEBALLS.

LOL.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    If Boris does go it might even be worth the Tories winning the next election, otherwise we'll be hearing from him and his supporters until the end of time that the party would have won it but for him being ousted.
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

This is incredibly conflicting for a good centre-leftie like myself.

Dominic Cummings, the man who screwed up schools beyond measure? Resigned/fired and has been knifing Boris ever since.

David Frost, the self-satisfied Mr Brexit? Resigned and knifed Boris on the way out.

Munira Mirza, the cynical author of the "war on woke"? Resigned and knifed Boris today.

Boris Johnson, leader of a generally loathsome government who yet has been the prime mover behind something I particularly care about (Dutch-style safe cycle tracks).

Help me, who am I supposed to be rooting for here?

The great thing about a circular firing squad is that all you need to do is encourage them to synchronise their actions.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    Sunak is bound to be asked whether he agrees with Mirza or the PM at this presser.
    How does he answer?

Just announce he is resigning from Cabinet and will seek a leadership election at the earliest moment.

Or be Dave Miliband.

I feel it is too late now for anyone who remains in government, all this time after the Starmer smear, to recover credibility as a PM candidate. An open goal now for Tugendhat, Hunt et al.

A Boris loyalist like Truss would easily beat them once it gets to the membership if Boris was forced out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this one kept away from the membership, and sorted out in parliament.
    Only way that happens is if MPs can not only VONC Boris and over 50% of them vote to remove him but then ensure a Hunt and Sunak final 2 which could see Hunt pull out.

If Truss got to the final 2 she would certainly not pull out but make sure it went to the membership as she knows she could then win it with the members
    Let's see...
  • President Biden said Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi died by exploding a bomb that killed himself and members of his family, including women and children, as U.S. forces approached.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1489277353503117319?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
  • HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Trump held on even when he had lost the EC in 2020 and refused to concede defeat until eventually Congress awarded the election to Biden.

Corbyn even lost a VONC in 2016 amongst his MPs, refused to resign and went to a membership vote where he was re elected and stayed leader until defeat at the 2019 general election.

Boris is as stubborn as Trump and Corbyn, he will not resign even if there is a VONC and even if he only wins it 50.5% to 49.5%
    As I have pointed out before, if Johnson loses a VONC of Tory MPs there is no constitutional requirement for him to resign. He can wait for Starmer to table a VONC in Parliament and dare the PCP to desert him. If they do he can challenge Starmer to a general election to which the latter can hardly demur. His position is hopeless so anything could happen.
    I understood that TSE had already comprehensively scotched this idea quoting the Tory party rulebook. If he loses the party VONC he is out. There will be a new leader of the Tory party and it will be up to that person to try to command a majority in Parliament. But Johnson will be done.

And currently a GE requires 66% of the MPs whilst a new Tory leader only needs a majority of 1.
    The Conservative Party, for all its grandiose pretensions, is not part of the constitution. Johnson remains PM until he decides to advise HMQ to send for someone else. That decision doesn't follow automatically from a party VONC, even if you and TSE think it ought to.
    But you miss the obvious fact that a VONC in Parliament does not have to lead to a GE but it will lead to Johnson being forced out. If he loses a VONC then it takes 66% of the MPs to trigger a GE. Otherwise any MP who commands a simple majority in Parliament can become PM.

So your idea that he can cling on and threaten his party with a GE is for the fairies. It is the same mistake claim that HYUDFD was making a few days ago.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    IshmaelZ said:

I can’t remember being so angry as I was when Boris made his Jimmy Savile smear at PMQs.

I was literally trembling.

At that moment, one of the pillars underneath British democracy buckled.

Im really fucking glad so many have decided, too much.

Sort of agree but this looks quite a lot like Meet the new boss same as the old boss. Sunak's two besties according to peston are MM's husband, and James forsyth of the Spectator who had the exclusive on this. This is a coup not a spontaneous uprising.
    Well obviously.

I mean, I hate Boris, but one thing I do believe he has (had?) was a sense of imagination.

The UK is now in a kind of Treasury death-grip and really you need someone of Boris’s imagination to rescue it.

But he doesn’t do detail, or execution, or honour. And he’s a lying arsehole.
  • HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

If Truss got to the final 2 she would certainly not pull out but make sure it went to the membership as she knows she could then win it with the members and become PM.

Truss hardline with the EU on Art 16 and backing the DUP in removing the Irish Sea border checks was clear red meat to the party base, following her status as a committed Brexiteer now and her lack of enthusiasm for the NI rise (unlike Sunak) and her reluctance to support Covid restrictions
    And if the Tory party splits in two, Johnsonians vs the rest, what does your rule book say about that?

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Strange snippet

Mirza is married to Dougie Smith, a former senior Conservative party aide .... She had a son in 2013.[5]

And you to Google munira mirza husband. I may look stupid, but I am just bright enough to double source that sort of thing. Especially on a page I myself edited this afternoon.

Fascinating looking at the wikipedia edit history for that page. It's been furiously updated and reupdated all afternoon.
    The person who took down the detail about Dougie Smith appears now - if I am reading it correctly, which I may well not be - on to editing a list of Eastenders characters.
    One of the problems of wikipedia is that some truly weird people get to be in control of pages. It's not so much partisans of one side or another as people who make QAnon types look centred and reasonable.
    Someone has now edited my edit. Aggrieved.
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Truss hardline with the EU on Art 16 and backing the DUP in removing the Irish Sea border checks was clear red meat to the party base, following her status as a committed Brexiteer now and her lack of enthusiasm for the NI rise (unlike Sunak) and her reluctance to support Covid restrictions
    And if the Tory party splits in two, Johnsonians vs the rest, what does your rule book say about that?
    Most of the party would go with Johnson, certainly most of the membership and remaining Tory voters. The rest would be lucky to beat the LDs at the next general election
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    How heavily do we think Johnson might lose the confidence vote, assuming there is one soon?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

I can’t remember being so angry as I was when Boris made his Jimmy Savile smear at PMQs.

Lol

The one thing IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE that has made you angrier than anything else is when the British prime minister made a clumsy jibe at some boring Labour lawyer about a thing that DID happen under his watch but he was likely not responsible for blah blah

That made you ANGRIER THAN ANYTHING ELSE, EVAH???

GET A GRIP, MAN

And I just don’t believe you were “literally, trembling” over there in New York

What an entirely laughable comment, from beginning to end. Have a brandy
    kle4 said:

If Boris does go it might even be worth the Tories winning the next election, otherwise we'll be hearing from him and his supporters until the end of time that the party would have won it but for him being ousted.

You can vote Tory, you really can.
  • Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs
    - Commons - somebody else needs to form a government. I'm not at all sure that Boris can't just reform. HMQ simply invites aspirants so far as I know. Most likely a GE would result. There's no way Tory MPs want a GE now, so this route is unlikely.
    Again a GE even after a VONC needs 66% of the MPs to support it.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

I thought it was typical Boris, and shrugged my shoulders.

Perhaps you can help

Who is to blame for Saville not being prosecuted?

Did they apologize?

Were they sacked?
    In fairness to whoever was nominally responsible, it wasn't like Rotherham, I don't think: it wasn't as if the evidence was there for all to see. I think most people were genuinely shocked when it all came out. Presumably whoever was DPP at the time felt the same.
    There have been many failures of public prosecution this century: known baddies not pursued, and innocent people hounded unnecessarily. But as far as I remember Savile was neither of those. I may be misremembering.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Most of the party would go with Johnson, certainly most of the membership
    Might that depend on who gets to keep the brand? After all, haven't you long talked about being loyal to the party, not specific leaders?
    Leon said:

Lol

The one thing IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE that has made you angrier than anything else is when the British prime minister made a clumsy jibe at some boring Labour lawyer about a thing that DID happen under his watch but he was likely not responsible for blah blah

GET A GRIP, MAN

Yeh, it made me furious.
    I don’t get angry very often.

I know you don’t get it, but that’s because you’re a jaded debauchee.

It’s too early for a brandy, by 2 minutes.
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

You can vote Tory, you really can.
    I did in 2017, but it's a super safe Tory seat anyway so I have the luxury of it not mattering.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444

How heavily do we think Johnson might lose the confidence vote, assuming there is one soon?

IDS lost by 75-90, about 45%-55%, so that's the current worst result.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

No it would not - why don't you just join reform now, you know you want to

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs
    Yes, and that isn't going to happen unless all else fails. Commons VONC - all else has failed. (50/50 I'd suggest)
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

He missed the long covid boat. He shound have deployed that last summer.
    Yes, because he'd admit he's been unfit to be PM in at least one crucial sense, for a whole year and more [edit] if he now handed in his jotters.
    If he had gone in the summer, he could have claimed, I have been suffering from long COVID, I have good days and bad, I hoped that I would be able to get over it, but after consultation with my doctor they have suggested that high levels of demand placed on any PM is harming any chances of making a full recovery from this appalling illness.

And the thing is I actually believe this has been the case.
    Yes, me too

@MaxPB made a good point on the last thread. The Savile thing looks like classic Crosby, but maybe it was totally mishandled by Boris, because he’s not functioning at even 50% capacity

Because there are some questions to be asked about Starmer’s term as DPP, on various points, but the way Boris did it was blundering oafish and just damn ugly. Making it easy for Starmer to be aggrieved and making Boris look so bad he has had to say sorry 3 days later

This is just crap basic politics, and the old Boris - the funny, campaigning Boris - would not have made these egregious errors

"The old funny campaigning Boris".

Aw, poignant. So poignant. But c'mon, don't feel down, you'll always have Paris ... sorry I mean Brexit. Brexit.

And that 'Love Actually' PPB he did. God, remember that? It was AMAZEBALLS.

LOL.
    Fair enough. This is your time now. Enjoy

But we will ALWAYS have Brexit. And the eternal grief of the Remoaners. You can’t take that away from us. It is delicious and forever

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs
    See section 2(3). If there's a VONC and no VOC within 14 days an election results. The VONC only requires a majority of the House.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2
  • rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

He won't leave with dignity. He doesn't do dignity.
    I think he needs to be offered a new job.

And I was wondering: could he perhaps take over from Ursula van der Leyen? While traditionally the Commission President has been from an EU member, I doubt there is any legal need for it.

Boris is also used to working in Brussels, and did a good job (unlike UvdL) with vaccines.

It could be sold to EU as potentially resulting - long-term - in the UK rejoining (or at the very least having someone pissing outside the tend). And it could be sold in the UK as having someone in Brussels who understands our needs.

And from BJ's point of view, it would mean that he was the first Brit to be both Prime Minister and President.
    Von der Leyen has made it a prerequisite of the job to be involved in a major unresolved political scandal immediately prior to appointment, so Johnson ticks that box at least.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited February 2022
    Rishi on soon: now

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1489281946479964160?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA

For some reason iPlayer says "BBC NEWS not available in your region"...

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

If the party split, 25-30% would be a Johnson-Truss Party.

5-10% would be a Hunt type Remainer Tory Party like you.

Sunak would have to decide which one to go for.

It would be Canada 1993 here. Labour would obviously win the next election with that but the Johnson Party would stay the main opposition, the Hunt wing would likely win fewer MPs than the LDs ie less than 10 if that
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Truss' hardline with the EU on Art 16 and backing the DUP in removing the Irish Sea border checks was clear red meat to the party base, following her status as a committed Brexiteer now and her lack of enthusiasm for the NI rise (unlike Sunak) and her reluctance to support Covid restrictions

Surely it happens if Tory MPs collectively agree that only one candidate will stand? Or are you saying that the egos of (e.g.) Truss mean that that will never happen? No need to get as far as a final 2 or any MP voting whatsoever if a leader "emerges" as used to be traditional in the party.

Leon said:

Lol

GET A GRIP, MAN

Yeh, it made me furious.

But were you “literally, trembling” as you “felt the buckling of one of the pillars of British democracy”???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Might that depend on who gets to keep the brand? After all, haven't you long talked about being loyal to the party, not specific leaders?
    That is acvtually a very good question when Conservatives have already been talking of splitting. See the Scottish Conservatives (prop. (failed) Fraser M.).

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Yet there's nothing reformed about him?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Leon said:

But we will ALWAYS have Brexit. And the eternal grief of the Remoaners. You can’t take that away from us. It is delicious and forever

Not nearly as sweet as the eternal grief of the Brexiteers...

DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson seems to be making a good case for the UK not leaving the EU single market - the move he and his party supported.
    https://twitter.com/adamboultonTABB/status/1489282322855833601

And it accumulates over time :)
  • Turn away @HYUFD now

Rishi live on BBC and Sky
    Cookie said:

Perhaps you can help

Did they apologize?

Were they sacked?
    In fairness to whoever was nominally responsible, it wasn't like Rotherham, I don't think: it wasn't as if the evidence was there for all to see. I think most people were genuinely shocked when it all came out. Presumably whoever was DPP at the time felt the same.
    There have been many failures of public prosecution this century: known baddies not pursued, and innocent people hounded unnecessarily. But as far as I remember Savile was neither of those. I may be misremembering.
    It is not at all clear that anyone was to blame. It is bloody difficult to convict people of stuff, largely because of our jolly unimprovable world beating impeccably English jury trial system. Just one example: the first thing West was prosecuted for was raping his own children. That trial collapsed, despite it being crystal clear they he was guilty.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

You don't get rid of him as easily as that. SAfer for you to join PC (but then he might return to them).
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Surely it happens if Tory MPs collectively agree that only one candidate will stand? Or are you saying that the egos of (e.g.) Truss mean that that will never happen? No need to get as far as a final 2 or any MP voting whatsoever if a leader "emerges" as used to be traditional in the party.
    Truss knows she could become PM if she gets to the membership, she will back no coronation
    Even the most loyal Tory MPs are now realising this thing only ends in one way now.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1489283083643850753
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1489262242902142976
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    Why would a person eyeing up the leadership want it now?

We are about to hit a really Rocky period with inflation, food costs and energy bills and various other taxes rises.

Sunak might feel he should make his move as he knows his chances are scuppered for good if he can't distance himself from the economic situation we are facing.

But I don't think he has any solutions and I can't see him reversing anything. These are his plans, whether that is Chancellor or PM. He's Doomed IMO.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

If the party split, 25-30% would be a Johnson-Truss Party.

5-10% would be a Hunt type Remainer Tory Party like you.

Sunak would have to decide which one to go for.

It would be Canada 1993 here. Labour would obviously win the next election with that but the Johnson Party would stay the main opposition, the Hunt wing would likely win fewer MPs than the LDs ie less than 10 if that
    Utter nonsense
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Currently, a GE needs a simple majority of MPs, just like the 2019 one did.

However, DACOP should be law within weeks, at which point the calculus changes radically.
    HYUFD said:

Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

Truss knows she could become PM if she gets to the membership, she will back no coronation
    You forgot to add "even if it would be better for the party and the country" but perhaps that exclusion is inherent in the mindset of the current Tory party. I'd like to hope that with Boris gone that there's some chance of a move away from "self before party before country".

Interesting though that we aren’t talking about Class A drug use on the Labour front bench.

I fully expect there's a history of Class A drug use across the House.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Totally irrelevant, perhaps, but I've just been reading the Britain Elects pice about todays by elections.
    Apparently Priti Patel has been seen campaigning for a Tory candidate in a council election in Dacorum, Herts.
    Pedantic Kremlinology. Just our thing...

Interesting to see Rishi Sunak speaking solo behind a “DOWNING STREET” podium.

Boris normally has either a Covid slogan or the crest on his.
    https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1489283801083793416/photo/1
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

dixiedean said:

The question now arises.
    How does he answer?

Or be Dave Miliband.

While I would not want to interrupt an opponent making a mistake, the track record of unopposed coronations in all parties isn't a good one. An open contest is part of intraparty democracy.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited February 2022
    The collapse of the Conservative Party and government into unimaginable chaos is quite fun to watch, I must say.

Pity about the collateral damage, though.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

GET A GRIP, MAN

Yeh, it made me furious.

But were you “literally, trembling” as you “felt the buckling of one of the pillars of British democracy”???

British democracy is probably too strongly put.
    But a critical conventions around acceptable political discourse, sure.

I’ve no idea what time it is in the stews of Colombo, but I assume you are - as ever - addled with gin.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    "I wouldn't have said it, and I'm glad the PM clarified it."
    I bet you wouldn't.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1489208869209395208

Rishi Sunak tells MPs it is impossible to “artificially” hold down energy prices.

In other news, Shell today announced their profits have increased by fourteen-fold and they plan to hand $8.5 billion back to shareholders.
    Ouch.. Sunak: "being honest I wouldn't have said it and I'm glad the PM has clarified what he meant."

brutal

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1489284059901661192
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Northern Ireland's first minister Paul Givan has quit.

Good. Should get the hardline Unionist vote back behind the DUP from the TUV
    Yes one thing we have learned from the last few years is that the DUP are master political strategists
    76% of DUP voters and 98% of TUV voters in NI wanted the DUP to withdraw from the Stormont Executive either now or within the next 3 months until the NI Protocol is scrapped.

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1486638991688577025?s=20&t=ENfIPEaCMJIQwCAmFEjXVA

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1486638991688577025?s=20&t=ENfIPEaCMJIQwCAmFEjXVA

Donaldson's Party by doing this where Foster failed to do it will bring back TUV voters to the DUP as Boris brought back Brexit Party voters to the Tories after May failed to deliver Brexit
    And what about the other 75% of Northern Irish voters? Do they get a say, or should Northern Ireland be run solely for around half of Unionists?

Or maybe, do you think, we should try and find a solution that is broadly acceptable to the majority of people in Northern Ireland?
    moonshine said:

Letters tonight vote tomorrow eve then innit

Could be. Tomorrow is a sitting Friday.
  • Ouch.. Sunak: "being honest I wouldn't have said it and I'm glad the PM has clarified what he meant."

brutal

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1489284059901661192?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
    edited February 2022
    jonny83 said:

We are about to hit a really Rocky period with inflation, food costs and energy bills and various other taxes rises.

Because it is always better to have power than not, better to be in a position to try to steer events than wait for a better opportunity that may never come.

It's 12 years into a Tory led government, were it not for the huge majority the chances of winning another term would be expected to be much less than they are, and if they do lose they could be out for a long time - we've gone 18 years Con, 13 years Lab, 12+ years Con led.

Sure there are a lot of problems to grapple with which might sink a new leader. But wait too long, miss your chance, and then possibly face a decade for your next shot at the top job? For an ambitious person, even youthful enough to manage it, why wait?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

And I was wondering: could he perhaps take over from Ursula van der Leyen? While traditionally the Commission President has been from an EU member, I doubt there is any legal need for it.

Boris is also used to working in Brussels, and did a good job (unlike UvdL) with vaccines.

It could be sold to EU as potentially resulting - long-term - in the UK rejoining (or at the very least having someone pissing outside the tend). And it could be sold in the UK as having someone in Brussels who understands our needs.

And from BJ's point of view, it would mean that he was the first Brit to be both Prime Minister and President.
    Von der Leyen has made it a prerequisite of the job to be involved in a major unresolved political scandal immediately prior to appointment, so Johnson ticks that box at least.
    Not sure he ticks the lie convincingly box, though.
  • Foxy said:

While I would not want to interrupt an opponent making a mistake, the track record of unopposed coronations in all parties isn't a good one. An open contest is part of intraparty democracy.

Very difficult to hold a proper contest when the outgoing leader is in disgrace and the government is in power, though. You really do need a smooth stitch-up in those circumstances.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson seems to be making a good case for the UK not leaving the EU single market - the move he and his party supported.

Leon is quite old and his body is knackered and syphilitic.

It’s bittersweet that he won’t live to see Brexit effectively abandoned.
    Farooq said:

That's not brutal. That's cagey, if anything.

he broke ranks. That's brutal.

And the words he wants you to hear? "being honest"
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Perhaps you can help

Did they apologize?

Were they sacked?
    It is not at all clear that anyone was to blame. It is bloody difficult to convict people of stuff, largely because of our jolly unimprovable world beating impeccably English jury trial system. Just one example: the first thing West was prosecuted for was raping his own children. That trial collapsed, despite it being crystal clear they he was guilty.
    But Cookie’s underlying point is sound

If anything should leave anyone “literally, trembling” with anger, it is the Asian grooming scandal WHICH IS STILL GOING ON

Tens of thousands - possibly hundreds of thousands - of vulnerable white working class British girls were raped by racist grooming gangs, often tortured, burned, stabbed, kidnapped, and occasionally murdered, and all of British society looked away and pretended it wasn’t happening because “community cohesion” or whatever the fuck

THAT is worth someone’s peak lifetime anger, The greatest outrage of modern British domestic history. And still unresolved, and still continuing

Compared to that Boris’ oafish clumsy stupidities are as nothing. Getting MORE angry about Boris is a form of wilful, blinkered decadence

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    jonny83 said:

Sunak might feel he should make his move as he knows his chances are scuppered for good if he can't distance himself from the economic situation we are facing.

But I don't think he has any solutions and I can't see him reversing anything. These are his plans, whether that is Chancellor or PM. He's Doomed IMO.

Because as shown by David Miliband if you don't take the chance when the opportunity arises you rarely get a winnable second chance.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Not sure he ticks the lie convincingly box, though.
    Not now!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Polruan said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs
    See section 2(3). If there's a VONC and no VOC within 14 days an election results. The VONC only requires a majority of the House.

Yes, there’s a two week clock, following a vote of confidence against the government in the Commons.

The Tories, as a party, would have two weeks to nominate a new leader and convince enough of their MPs not to split that they could win a second vote of confidence.
  • Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

However, DACOP should be law within weeks, at which point the calculus changes radically.
    The 2019 election needed a simple majority because Parliament passed the Early Parliamentary General Election Act which automatically lapsed once the Election had been held. Would Johnson get a similar act through Parliament this time?
    Applicant said:

moonshine said:

Letters tonight vote tomorrow eve then innit

Could be. Tomorrow is a sitting Friday.
    Que a number of MPs planning to be in their constituencies tomorrow cursing and returning back to London.
  • All-important last para in @paulgivan's resignation letter

It says "resolution of the issues" (#Protocol) will enable DUP "consent" to restoring a "fully-functioning" Executive

They withhold "consent" for devolution until then.

But how will they judge things to be 'resolved'?

https://twitter.com/hayward_katy/status/1489284376655450112?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
    kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Because it is always better to have power than not, better to be in a position to try to steer events than wait for a better opportunity that may never come.

It's 12 years into a Tory led government, were it not for the huge majority the chances of winning another term would be expected to be much less than they are, and if they do lose they could be out for a long time - we've gone 18 years Con, 13 years Lab, 12+ years Con led.

Sure there are a lot of problems to grapple with which might sink a new leader. But wait too long, miss your chance, and then possibly face a decade for your next shot at the top job? For an ambitious person, even youtful enough to manage it, why wait?
    Exactly. As a politician, would you rather have been John Major or William Hague?
    Become PM now, you might be Alec Douglas Home, of course. But you might be John Major. You might even be Macmillan. And even ADH has a place in history.
    Become leader after losing an election, and the precedents are less encouraging.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Strange snippet

Not a conspiracy - it is one of WP's regular wonks tidying the page because he knows it's going to be well visited. The former business venture of her other half isn't really pertinent to her own WP article.
    I wasn't suggesting a conspiracy, just more wondering why somebody is taking down something that is true and by other reports the guy in question is completely fine with people knowing that is what the business he runs.

But I can see the general sentiment of what you are saying.
  • Sandpit said:

Polruan said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs

Yes, there’s a two week clock, following a vote of confidence against the government in the Commons.

The Tories, as a party, would have two weeks to nominate a new leader and convince enough of their MPs not to split that they could win a second vote of confidence.
    Which, faced by a GE I think they would do with ease. As I said this idea of Johnson clinging on threatening a GE is garbage.
    eek said:

jonny83 said:

Because as shown by David Miliband if you don't take the chance when the opportunity arises you rarely get a winnable second chance.
    So he'll have to make do with being paid hundreds of thousands to come on the radio whenever there's a part of the world where people have no food?
    Sandpit said:

Polruan said:

Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs

*AND* persuade Johnson to resign, or HMQ to fire him so that a new government can be appointed led by that new leader. Otherwise any vote of confidence passed within the prescribed form of the act is endorsing Johnson's government.

All-important last para in @paulgivan's resignation letter

It says "resolution of the issues" (#Protocol) will enable DUP "consent" to restoring a "fully-functioning" Executive

https://twitter.com/hayward_katy/status/1489284376655450112?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA

It can't be resolved and as it's virtually impossible that the DUP are going to win the most seats at the next election that's how they want it.

UK cases by specimen date

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

The 2019 election needed a simple majority because Parliament passed the Early Parliamentary General Election Act which automatically lapsed once the Election had been held. Would Johnson get a similar act through Parliament this time?
    With Labour and SNP support?
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

UK R

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

GET A GRIP, MAN

Yeh, it made me furious.

I’ve no idea what time it is in the stews of Colombo, but I assume you are - as ever - addled with gin.
    We're just past the new moon, so we have manic-drunk Leon. In a week or so I'll be depressed-drunk Leon, then another couple of weeks of pompous-food-critic-drunk Leon and back to the start again.
    Analysis of ice cores at the poles suggest the Leon cycle also runs in much longer cycles over many generations, though some suggest modern life is disrupting this.

Perhaps you can help

Did they apologize?

Were they sacked?
    Was there sufficient evidence at that time for a prosecution?

I mean, with hindsight, Savile was an evil man who should have spent his entire adult life in a small cell. But was the DPP presented with enough evidence that a conviction looked likely?

And we don't know the answer to that.

My gut - fwiw - is that Starmer would love to have gotten the headlines for successfully locking up a high profile paedophile - especially one who could be characterised as being close to his political opponents. But it may be that the girls involved were not great witnesses (or could be characterised as such), and there was no corroborating evidence.

Should the DPP have forced a prosecution, if conviction looked unlikely? Should he have diverted scarce resources in this way?
  • Carnyx said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

With Labour and SNP support?
    He would still need 40 of his own MPs to commit suicide on his behalf.
    Case summary

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Charming. In that case I hope you die soon as well
  • Feb. 3, 2022
    Updated 12:09 p.m. ET
    WASHINGTON — The United States has acquired intelligence about a Russian plan to fabricate a pretext for an invasion of Ukraine using a faked video that would build on recent disinformation campaigns, according to senior administration officials and others briefed on the material.

The plan — which the United States hopes to spoil by making public — involves staging and filming a fabricated attack by the Ukrainian military either on Russian territory or against Russian-speaking people in eastern Ukraine.

Russia, the officials said, intended to use the video to accuse Ukraine of “genocide” against Russian-speaking people. It would then use the outrage over the video to justify an attack or have separatist leaders in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine invite a Russian intervention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/us/politics/russia-ukraine-invasion-pretext.html
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

GET A GRIP, MAN

Yeh, it made me furious.

We're just past the new moon, so we have manic-drunk Leon. In a week or so I'll be depressed-drunk Leon
    O-ho, you're another one of the pseudonyms are you Farooq?
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Northern Ireland's first minister Paul Givan has quit.

Good. Should get the hardline Unionist vote back behind the DUP from the TUV
    Yes one thing we have learned from the last few years is that the DUP are master political strategists
    76% of DUP voters and 98% of TUV voters in NI wanted the DUP to withdraw from the Stormont Executive either now or within the next 3 months until the NI Protocol is scrapped.

Donaldson's Party by doing this where Foster failed to do it will bring back TUV voters to the DUP as Boris brought back Brexit Party voters to the Tories after May failed to deliver Brexit
    And what about the other 75% of Northern Irish voters? Do they get a say, or should Northern Ireland be run solely for around half of Unionists?

Or maybe, do you think, we should try and find a solution that is broadly acceptable to the majority of people in Northern Ireland?
    More than half, 58% of Unionist voters want to withdraw from the Stormont executive unless the NI Protocol is scrapped now or in the next 3 months. 5% would withdraw after the election if no change.

A further 34% also want the NI protocol scrapped or amended but the DUP to stay in the NI executive (mostly UUP voters).

Only 2% of Unionist voters in NI Back the NI Protocol as now.
    https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1486638991688577025?s=20&t=0kgxxTt1jp5YN1HO4qXLGg

Removing the Irish Sea border respects Unionist opinion, as long as there is still no hard border in Ireland that also respects Nationalist and Alliance voters too
    Hospitals

eek said:

It can't be resolved and as it's virtually impossible that the DUP are going to win the most seats at the next election that's how they want it.

But they are likely to come second.
    And they can paralyse Stormont even as Deputy FM.

To be honest, I don’t blame them.
    They were sold up the river by the UK government and what are they suppose to do - grin and bear it?

The NIP - as Theresa May rightly recognised - should never have been entertained for a moment.
    Deaths

• HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Perhaps you can help

Did they apologize?

Were they sacked?
    But Cookie’s underlying point is sound

If anything should leave anyone “literally, trembling” with anger, it is the Asian grooming scandal WHICH IS STILL GOING ON

Actually agree with you for once
    Age related data

• Has @RishiSunak got the bottle to take on @BorisJohnson after all?
    Just distanced himself from the PM over his smear of Starmer over Savile. "It's a question for the prime minister rather than me" he tells @Peston

About as far as he could go without resigning?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1489286123096616966?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
    Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

That's not brutal. That's cagey, if anything.

he broke ranks. That's brutal.

And the words he wants you to hear? "being honest"
    I'm taking a middle ground. That's well-judged.
    It's from the same stable as 'recollections may vary' - exuberantly understated and we know exactly what he means.

Rishi is very, very good at choosing his words.
    edited February 2022

eek said:

But they are likely to come second.
    And they can paralyse Stormont even as Deputy FM.

To be honest, I don’t blame them.
    They were sold up the river by the UK government and what are they suppose to do - grin and bear it?

The NIP - as Theresa May rightly recognised - should never have been entertained for a moment.
    If the 12% currently voting TUV switch back to the DUP, then the DUP could even narrowly come first again and would certainly be a stronger second than they are polling now
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Charming. In that case I hope you die soon as well
    Oh no, I hope you stick around for a fair while.
    I’m just providing the actuarial view.
    Has @RishiSunak got the bottle to take on @BorisJohnson after all?
    Just distanced himself from the PM over his smear of Starmer over Savile. "It's a question for the prime minister rather than me" he tells @Peston
    About as far as he could go without resigning?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1489286123096616966
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Two different VONCs
    Unless the Conservative Party were to actually split, with Johnson taking a bunch of MPs with him, then the new leader of the Coservative Party would have the support of 325+ MPs, and would become Prime Minister.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    @dwnews
    Russia has withdrawn the press credentials of all Deutsche Welle staff and is shutting down the organization's office in Moscow

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1489233197254729728
This discussion has been closed.