Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Leaving the sinking ship? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

And now No 10 comms chief Jack Doyle gone too

Conservative MPs increasingly asking exactly who is left in Downing St...

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1489301844333576192
    https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/1489300293661728773

Carrie.
    In a hameau.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wow, 5% lead for the CDU/CSU in today's poll.

Sonntagsfrage zur Bundestagswahl • Infratest dimap / ARD: CDU/CSU 27 % | SPD 22 % | GRÜNE 16 % | AfD 12 % | FDP 10 % | DIE LINKE 5 % | Sonstige 8 %

I did not expect the CDU/CSU to begin recovering so quickly.

Clear shift from FDP to Union as the Union shifts right under Merz while the FDP shifts left in government with the SPD
    Yes although probably mainly the FDP's older voters. I imagine most of the younger FDP voters are probably still quite happy. We will probably see more SPD-Green-FDP state coalitions in Germany this year as well.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,172

How the hell am I supposed to get the report I'm writing finished?

https://www.lipsum.com/
  • Options

Been out all day with clients.

Now very slightly pissed.

Can someone summarise?

You did the right thing.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,004
    edited February 2022
    Hmmm.. I know the second resignation is explained as “I always intended on leaving after two years”. But interesting timing, isn’t it?

..is something stirring?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sunak, like several front-benchers, now thinks it was unwise for the PM to have smeared Starmer.

But only NOW, when they all know it's gone down like a stripper at a funeral. What did they do at the time? Laugh, point and nod vigorously in agreement. Including you,
    @RishiSunak
    https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1489298607106887683

His point against Sunak isn't great, all we see sunak do is nod when bojo says you shouldn't prejudge party investigations, but worth watching the clip to see that pig rees mogg pointing and laughing about the savile smear.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547
    Awful lot of people seem to be resigning from number 10 right in the middle of this police investigation.
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1489302189567021056
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,014
    Aslan said:

Mango said:

This is incredibly conflicting for a good centre-leftie like myself.

Dominic Cummings, the man who screwed up schools beyond measure? Resigned/fired and has been knifing Boris ever since.

David Frost, the self-satisfied Mr Brexit? Resigned and knifed Boris on the way out.

Munira Mirza, the cynical author of the "war on woke"? Resigned and knifed Boris today.

Boris Johnson, leader of a generally loathsome government who yet has been the prime mover behind something I particularly care about (Dutch-style safe cycle tracks).

Help me, who am I supposed to be rooting for here?

They are all utter scum. The next Tory PM will be less of a bloated narcissistic liar, but even more objectionable in policy terms. Hurrah!

Make yourself a negroni, keep a glass of hemlock handy, and enjoy the show. There's far more debasing entertainment to come.
    This is the sort of zealous partisanship that has destroyed American politics. Mirza and Frost might disagree with you but they are clearly decent people with character. Cummings is an oddball but most of the evidence suggests schools are improving since his reforms. Some people however just seem to have the sort of personality where online bubbles allow them to become utterly tribal and unable to step back and think things through.
    Munira Mirza? Of RCP, Living Marxism and Spiked fame? Scum is undercooking it, if anything. I'll admit, I'm partisan about movements that aid and abet genocide, but I think one should be.

As for Frosty, let's just call him very flexible on his principles. I'll give it a rest in his regard.
  • Options

Hmmm.. I know the second resignation is explained as “I always intended on leaving after two years”. But interesting timing, isn’t it?

..is something stirring?

The police investigation?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,010

boulay said:

I watched on iPlayer a doc about the Blair and Brown years and was struck by the mutual admiration between them despite the clear antagonism between them at the changeover time.

I cannot wait however, if Rishi replaces Boris, for a repeat documentary in 10 years time as I don’t think there will be much love lost - will be suitably brutal I imagine…..

I'm toying with doing a thread on Sunday where I predict if Boris goes soon he will undermine his successor in the way Thatcher did to Major and take the Incredible Sulk title from Ted Heath.
    It's easy to imagine Boris as a very part time MP merely turning up to score a few points as and when.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,464
    Carnyx said:

Can someone summarise?

Mr Sunak's chums are taking it in turn to go off and join Brutus and Cassius, sorry Mr Sunak, and stab Mr Johnson in the back with the excuse of the Savile smear. Odd timing but there you are.

Interesting. Thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Jack Doyle has resigned as director of communications at No 10. He's told friends he always planned to leave after two years and that his departure is not linked to that of Munira Mirza
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1489300293661728773

Now the boys who put the powder
    On the noses of the faces
    Of the ladies of the harem
    Of the court of King Caractacus
    …Were just passing by
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Mango said:

Dominic Cummings, the man who screwed up schools beyond measure? Resigned/fired and has been knifing Boris ever since.

David Frost, the self-satisfied Mr Brexit? Resigned and knifed Boris on the way out.

Munira Mirza, the cynical author of the "war on woke"? Resigned and knifed Boris today.

Boris Johnson, leader of a generally loathsome government who yet has been the prime mover behind something I particularly care about (Dutch-style safe cycle tracks).

They are all utter scum. The next Tory PM will be less of a bloated narcissistic liar, but even more objectionable in policy terms. Hurrah!

Make yourself a negroni, keep a glass of hemlock handy, and enjoy the show. There's far more debasing entertainment to come.
    This is the sort of zealous partisanship that has destroyed American politics. Mirza and Frost might disagree with you but they are clearly decent people with character. Cummings is an oddball but most of the evidence suggests schools are improving since his reforms. Some people however just seem to have the sort of personality where online bubbles allow them to become utterly tribal and unable to step back and think things through.
    Weren’t you recently defining the country of Ireland *checks notes* as leeches who choose former terrorists to govern them while being complicit in their national religion abusing a generation of kids?

Anyway, great to hear from you on online bubbles and tribalism!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    Interesting that the only poster on here who showed support and understanding for Johnson's Saville smear was MrEd which shows that the wind that blows through the Alt Right in the US breezes its way back here through right wing Ultras and Trump supporters. An excruciating thought
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    If Boris goes, I would caution against expecting a person with the same policy mix and defter political skills to simply walk into this job.

I really would.

Remember Esther McVey is a Conservative MP.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

The ERG will have to move now to remove Boris. Mirza was the ideological driver of Brexit within the PM's staff, she was the ultimate guarantee for them that Boris wouldn't backslide, without her being head of policy I don't see how the ERG will let Boris stay on as leader, they know he's doesn't give a shit either way.

It's really, really hard to overestimate just how important Mirza was to team Boris. A huge player, her loss is a dagger for Boris. His inability to ever admit he did something wrong or broke the rules has caught up with him, and over something really trivial as well that he could have walked back really easily.

The ERG are meaningless in this. The cabinet is where this happens.
    The ERG is over 100 MPs at last count, they can get to 55 letters and then ensure Boris loses the VONC by allying with the ONC grouping to get rid.
    Yes of course, but if it was the ERG alone they'd lose. This is about the broad spectrum of Tory MPs.
    But it's not the ERG alone. There'
    pigeon said:

Workers must not ask for big pay rises to try and stop prices rising out of control, the Bank of England governor has told the BBC.

Andrew Bailey said the Bank raised rates to 0.5% from 0.25% to prevent rising prices becoming “ingrained”.

Asked if the Bank was also implicitly asking workers not to demand big pay rises, he said: “Broadly, yes”, the BBC reports.

Mr Bailey said that while it would be “painful” for workers to accept that prices would rise faster than their wages, he added that some “moderation of wage rises” was needed to prevent inflation becoming entrenched.

“In the sense of saying, we do need to see a moderation of wage rises, now that’s painful. I don’t want to in any sense sugar that, it is painful. But we need to see that in order to get through this problem more quickly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2022/feb/03/cost-of-living-crunch-energy-bills-price-cap-uk-interest-rates-bank-of-england-business-live

The median UK salary is about £31,000. The salary of the Governor of the Bank of England is £495,000.

Lol he can get fucked. How about he does his job properly instead.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Awful lot of people seem to be resigning from number 10 right in the middle of this police investigation.
    https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1489302189567021056

Um, dim point? How does it improve their position, police investigation-wise?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547
    Is this the most desperate spin ever posted?

An alternative view is that today's resignations in 10 Downing St could be linked to the shake up of the whole operation unveiled by Boris Johnson on Monday, in response to the Sue Gray report.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489302905152851981
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    edited February 2022

boulay said:

I watched on iPlayer a doc about the Blair and Brown years and was struck by the mutual admiration between them despite the clear antagonism between them at the changeover time.

I cannot wait however, if Rishi replaces Boris, for a repeat documentary in 10 years time as I don’t think there will be much love lost - will be suitably brutal I imagine…..

I'm toying with doing a thread on Sunday where I predict if Boris goes soon he will undermine his successor in the way Thatcher did to Major and take the Incredible Sulk title from Ted Heath.
    Except Boris and Thatcher won bigger election victories than Heath ever did. Heath was only removed after losing the 1974 general election not midterm having won a landslide the election before like Thatcher and maybe Boris.

Though Thatcher had the last laugh. The Thatcher backed candidate ie Major, Hague and IDS beat Heseltine and Clarke in every Tory leadership election after she lost office until Cameron won in 2005 for a new generation not in the Commons when Thatcher was there
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,662
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

COVID Summary

- Cases are flat(ish). R is clustered about 1. R remains lower for the older groups
    - Admissions down
    - MV beds down
    - In hospital down
    - Deaths down

Thanks Malmesbury.
    I'm glad we're able to give this less attention nowadays - it's an infinitely healthier position to be in. But I for one still enjoy getting your updates - not least from a point of general interest, but also as a marker point in the day.
    Thank you - I'm just disappointed that no one has remarked on the picture I use. A great character, built by a great actor - much against type, in a great film.
    I had no idea what you were talking about and went and re-looked. Sorry to report, but in my thread it just comes up as a little 5mm/5mm icon and the word 'image'.

Who is it meant to be?
    Jumping in - it is a frame from the film "Fail-Safe".

Same year as Dr Strangelove and on the same topic, but somewhat overshadowed by its better known twin.

Suitably apocalyptic (or not, as the case may be).
    It's a better film than Strangelove.

In particular, the Prof Groeteschele (played by Walter Matthau) is introduced at a Washington cocktail party ( (pictured above). A brilliant strategist - is he simply clear sighted, dispassionate and cynical, mad or evil? Or all three?

The genius of Matthau's performance is that he leaves it entirely to the audience to decide - and the view of the character changes as the plot progress. Much as in the Bedford Incident the characters remain true to themselves, but our understanding of them evolves.
    Hmm, I've got the novel, but haven't read it for decades. Wonder how it compares to the film?
    The film is worth watching by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXZF6DwKvCI
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629

boulay said:

Unlikely. Boris has many flaws but he’s not the type to stew in a futile sulk.

For a start he will want to make TONS of money. Sitting in the Commons sniping at Sunak (or whoever) does not serve that purpose. He will want to turn the page and do something unexpected (along with the memoirs)

He is still a man with exceptional political talents, and he is a good writer, and he has amazing contacts. How does he use all this?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,004

..is something stirring?

Could be. Though I thought Boris was clear that we’d drawn a line under that 😂
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,613
    eek said:

boulay said:

It's easy to imagine Boris as a very part time MP merely turning up to score a few points as and when.
    Doesn't he need to earn loads of money? Even he might find his hands tied in the HoC.

And his ego is so huge that I don't think he'd live it down on the backbenches.

I reckon if he's deposed he'll be out faster than Tony Blair.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,053
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

It’s easy to watch from afar and criticise the lack of quality among MPs - but there’s an increasingly small number of people willing to put themselves up for such public scrutiny, especially given that most of them can lead equally lucrative and private lives away from the spotlight.

You have to be politically motivated, in which case it's mostly water off a duck's back. I had lots of friendly posts, a moderate amount of abuse, a small amount of obscene abuse and a single death threat - overall it was fine, and the nasty bits were a minor price for the chance to influence national policy in what I felt to be a positive direction. But if it had just been a way of earning a living? Hell no.

The people who get put off - and this is a serious loss - are the "public servant" types, who don't have strong opinions, but would like to help run the country well. The traditional Conservative Party was particularly strong in those, but Labour and LibDems had a good many too - typically from local council backgrounds. If you populate Parliament exclusively with people (like me) who have strong views and want radical change, you turn up the temperature of politics and risk getting characters who hate the other side (unlike me). You need a mixture of passionate reformers and steady public servants. You don't IMO really need anyone who just thinks it's a job like any other.
    I think it has got a lot worse since you left parliament, though, not least because of the effect of social media and the general increase in polarisation of politics. The problem is especially bad for women MPs, and even worse for ethnic minority women MPs, but it's bad for all MPs now.
    Its not just what people write on social media about you, its even if you are "off the clock" and some twat always has a camera phone ready to film absolutely anything you do. This is true for anybody in the public eye and I can't imagine it is a particularly good for you mental health.

I personally would never "volunteer" myself for something like that.
  • Options
    Optics for no 10 in the media tonight are dreadful

For goodness sake Boris for once in your life do the decent thing and resign
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149
    eek said:

boulay said:

If Johnson follows Heath down that path, the irony meter will surely explode.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

boulay said:

For a start he will want to make TONS of money. Sitting in the Commons sniping at Sunak (or whoever) does not serve that purpose. He will want to turn the page and do something unexpected (along with the memoirs)

He is still a man with exceptional political talents, and he is a good writer, and he has amazing contacts. How does he use all this?
    In our dotage we’ll probably find ourselves on some Saga cruise to who knows where and he’ll be giving a lecture talk in the main lounge.
  • Options

boulay said:

Naah, he doesn't want outcomes, he wants status. And if you can't fake up a convincing account of Johnsonism in no 10 you sure as fuck can't cook it up and sell it from the back benches. Chiltern hundreds ahoy.
  • Options
    lisa o'carroll @lisaocarroll

Sir Jeffery Donaldson also told reporters that Boris Johnson told him at the Tory party conference that he would get a revised deal with Brussels in a "short sharp three weeks" of negotiations. Four months, Donaldson said it was time to take action.

Sir Jeffery actually believed that? Talk about the triumph of hope over experience.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,783
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

It’s worth noting that whatever the question about Britain’s state, Rishi is not the answer.

He’s a fully paid up Treasury stooge who thinks levelling up is a waste of time.

But he’s more impressive than Boris. If I was Keir I’d be a bit concerned.

there isn't any Tory that is going to spend money levelling up - that's the problem. It's going to take a Labour party willing to look at Treasury models and destroy the appalling foundations they are built on.

Unfortunately the people who understand that earn £100,000+ way more than the Treasury fools you currently use the models and don't see the flaws or missing factors.

Hint for anyone reading infrastructure sometimes needs to be built because it solves problems.
    Funny how we agree violently on this but (IIRC) disagree equally violently on immigration.
    Don't think I've ever commented on immigration that much.

Were I to do so my only comment would be you allow skilled workers into the country (using a sane minimum pay level well above the average wage) and ensure that you don't allow unskilled / low paid workers in.

Sadly we can't use the tricks other European countries could use (native language tests) because everyone speaks English better than you typical English native.
    It is worth noting that the most successful economies in the world - places like Switzerland and Singapore - have done such a good job upskilling their own citizens, that it is unskilled labour that their economies demand.
    Both also have populations of less than 5% and have low tax so long attracted high net worth residents and financial services.

Both are also expensive to live in, so also limiting the attraction for the non high skilled and non high paid
    Wait: the UK has a population of more than 172 million people???

Wow.

More seriously, let me turn the question around. Would you rather your child was educated to the level where they could be a well paid software engineer? Or would you rather they decided that we needed to have more people who were only skilled to clean toilets?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sonntagsfrage zur Bundestagswahl • Infratest dimap / ARD: CDU/CSU 27 % | SPD 22 % | GRÜNE 16 % | AfD 12 % | FDP 10 % | DIE LINKE 5 % | Sonstige 8 %

Clear shift from FDP to Union as the Union shifts right under Merz while the FDP shifts left in government with the SPD
    Yes although probably mainly the FDP's older voters. I imagine most of the younger FDP voters are probably still quite happy. We will probably see more SPD-Green-FDP state coalitions in Germany this year as well.
    My German friends say that the Ukrainian issue has moved the jigsaw of German politics - and not in ways that a UK observer might expect.

For example, the Greens are resolutely anti-Putin and all his works...
  • Options

lisa o'carroll @lisaocarroll

Sir Jeffery Donaldson also told reporters that Boris Johnson told him at the Tory party conference that he would get a revised deal with Brussels in a "short sharp three weeks" of negotiations. Four months, Donaldson said it was time to take action.

Sir Jeffery actually believed that? Talk about the triumph of hope over experience.

The amount of suckers out there astonishes me.
  • Options
    If the putsch now happens I’m going to owe @IshmaelZ an apology…
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,717

boulay said:

Maybe but I don’t think Boris has any ideology apart from promote himself, earn money, try and be clever with words and chase women so I can’t see him hanging around - he would stay MP to draw salary until he has enough guaranteed earnings to drop that then be off.

I can’t see him holding his seat at next GE anyway so that choice won’t be in his hands.

Also not going to be harping on about his replacement as it will devalue him (yes it could even get lower) and remind everyone he was a loser.

He might be investigating if Albania is looking for a king or something…..
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,045
    edited February 2022

The problem is not “social media” unto itself.

The problem is that the mainstream media have been hollowed out by social media must increasingly turn to “social media” for “news”.

Not sure how to fix it. It’s lethal for democracy though.

Yes, there is a problem with news reporters just trawling social media for stories.

I think though that the controlling, media management, unnamed sources and spin doctors of the press baron era and Alastair Campbell was not much better, just a different sort of bad.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,024
    Mango said:

Aslan said:

Mango said:

Munira Mirza? Of RCP, Living Marxism and Spiked fame? Scum is undercooking it, if anything. I'll admit, I'm partisan about movements that aid and abet genocide, but I think one should be.

As for Frosty, let's just call him very flexible on his principles. I'll give it a rest in his regard.
    I think you're getting a wee bit aerated Mango.

The path of person-does-not-agree-with-me to person's-views-are-absolutely-and-tantamount-to-genocide-and-person-is-abhorrent is far too lightly trod.
  • Options
    And now Jack Doyle resigned.

Given that they’re all lined up for the sack, why wouldn’t you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

In our dotage we’ll probably find ourselves on some Saga cruise to who knows where and he’ll be giving a lecture talk in the main lounge.
    Lol. And you know what? We will both go along and listen. Who wouldn’t?

That’s why I am sure he will make bazillions. He is witty and clever and has a unique, remarkable story to tell, and 40 years of anecdotes

OTOH I can see you storming out halfway through in anger (when he gets to Brexit) then I will run after you and try and placate you with free blancmange, as that is all that we will be capable of eating

Then we will play cribbage
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

It’s worth noting that whatever the question about Britain’s state, Rishi is not the answer.

He’s a fully paid up Treasury stooge who thinks levelling up is a waste of time.

there isn't any Tory that is going to spend money levelling up - that's the problem. It's going to take a Labour party willing to look at Treasury models and destroy the appalling foundations they are built on.

Unfortunately the people who understand that earn £100,000+ way more than the Treasury fools you currently use the models and don't see the flaws or missing factors.

Hint for anyone reading infrastructure sometimes needs to be built because it solves problems.
    Funny how we agree violently on this but (IIRC) disagree equally violently on immigration.

Were I to do so my only comment would be you allow skilled workers into the country (using a sane minimum pay level well above the average wage) and ensure that you don't allow unskilled / low paid workers in.

Sadly we can't use the tricks other European countries could use (native language tests) because everyone speaks English better than you typical English native.
    It is worth noting that the most successful economies in the world - places like Switzerland and Singapore - have done such a good job upskilling their own citizens, that it is unskilled labour that their economies demand.
    Both also have populations of less than 5% and have low tax so long attracted high net worth residents and financial services.

Both are also expensive to live in, so also limiting the attraction for the non high skilled and non high paid

Wow.

More seriously, let me turn the question around. Would you rather your child was educated to the level where they could be a well paid software engineer? Or would you rather they decided that we needed to have more people who were only skilled to clean toilets?
    How many of the unskilled immigrants in Singapore or Switzerland, can ever attain citizenship of those countries?
  • Options

Hopefully the bookies will owe him some money.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2022

Its not just what people write on social media about you, its even if you are "off the clock" and some twat always has a camera phone ready to film absolutely anything you do. This is true for anybody in the public eye and I can't imagine it is a particularly good for you mental health.

Yes, true, but I wasn't referring only to nasty comments on social media. It gets beyond that, spilling over into actual physical threats or turning up at MPs' homes and intimidating the families.
  • Options
    Should just about make it home to catch Channel 4 News. Sounds like fun!
  • Options

..is something stirring?

Really not a great point, surely? I mean, would Fred West have evaded justice if he had sold the Cromwell Street house and moved round the corner prior to trial?
  • Options
    Just more lies and gaslighting from a government that's completely lost its compass. Nothing new.

https://twitter.com/DannyShawNews/status/1489285762294206470
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

That must be why a weekly shop in the Welsh valleys cost £400.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667

HYUFD said:

My German friends say that the Ukrainian issue has moved the jigsaw of German politics - and not in ways that a UK observer might expect.

Given Putin is such a source of hydrocarbons into Europe, not exactly a stretch is it?
  • Options

No you aren't. We disagreed, but I don't remember you calling me a brainless prat.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Given Putin is such a source of hydrocarbons into Europe, not exactly a stretch is it?
    It would be for the US Green Party.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,053
    edited February 2022

Yes, true, but I wasn't referring only to nasty comments on social media. It gets beyond that, spilling over into actual physical threats or turning up at MPs' homes and intimidating the families.
    Absolutely, JRM and Corybn's homes being targeted. Totally unacceptable.
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Maybe but I don’t think Boris has any ideology apart from promote himself, earn money, try and be clever with words and chase women so I can’t see him hanging around - he would stay MP to draw salary until he has enough guaranteed earnings to drop that then be off.

I can’t see him holding his seat at next GE anyway so that choice won’t be in his hands.

Also not going to be harping on about his replacement as it will devalue him (yes it could even get lower) and remind everyone he was a loser.

He might be investigating if Albania is looking for a king or something…..
    Maybe he’ll succeed in finding the lost kingdom of the twats, before our Sean does?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Lol. And you know what? We will both go along and listen. Who wouldn’t?

That’s why I am sure he will make bazillions. He is witty and clever and has a unique, remarkable story to tell, and 40 years of anecdotes

OTOH I can see you storming out halfway through in anger (when he gets to Brexit) then I will run after you and try and placate you with free blancmange, as that is all that we will be capable of eating

Then we will play cribbage
    You’re almost selling it to me.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,448
    Scott_xP said:

Is this the most desperate spin ever posted?

An alternative view is that today's resignations in 10 Downing St could be linked to the shake up of the whole operation unveiled by Boris Johnson on Monday, in response to the Sue Gray report.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489302905152851981

If there's a resignation in protest against you smearing someone, why wouldn't you smear the person who's resigned?
  • Options
    eek said:

boulay said:

Also easy to imagine L Hoyle having an inexplicable blind spot when it comes to calling him at pmqs
  • Options

Optics? They aren't STILL drinking in No 10 are they???

Have they learned nothing?
    The PM has noticed a problem, and he'll be taking measures in response
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,255
    Leon said:

boulay said:

If he had the concentration span and work ethic, he should get himself a gig writing fiction for Netflix.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Farooq said:

Measures??? Has he learnt nothing?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It's a long term thing - going back to the politics of the early Greens, and attitude towards the Soviet Union and it's appalling records on human rights and the environment. Unlike some other left wing groups in Europe they don't have that reflexive twitch that makes some strange defenders of Putins Russia.
  • Options

Farooq said:

What do you think the optics are for?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

What do you think the optics are for?
    Half measures, as usual?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,418

Scott_xP said:

Jack Doyle has resigned as director of communications at No 10. He's told friends he always planned to leave after two years and that his departure is not linked to that of Munira Mirza
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1489300293661728773

Now the boys who put the powder
    On the noses of the faces
    Of the ladies of the harem
    Of the court of King Caractacus
    …Were just passing by
    King Caractacus was a friend of mine!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,978
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Tory activists are the great unknown in all this. Ultimately I think it absurd that MPs shouldn't be responsible for choosing the Prime minister.

Voters are responsible for choosing the PM at general elections (confirmed by the Queen).

No reason party members should not get to choose the PM if their party has a majority in the Commons and the PM is changed midterm. MPs in any case nominate the candidates and in the Tory party select the final 2 the members pick from
    Er, you're muddling voters and party members. And voters choose MPs first and foremost. This isn't a presidential system.
    No I am not. Voters get a say at general elections. Party members select the leaders they get to choose from at those general elections (and to elect the PMs too if the party has a majority in Parliament and a new PM is elected midterm).

Most voters vote for the PM and the party.

The number who give a personal vote for their MP is less than 5%
    It's bad enough that under FPTP about 1% of the population decide who the rest of us get to vote for as PM once every 5 years. When those members give us a choice between Corbyn and Johnson then it's high time the system was overhauled.

The majority of those who are going to choose our next PM believe that the lying clown they chose last time is still the best person for the job. That ought to set alarm bells ringing far and wide.
  • Options

When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

It is very wrong of me of course, but given the complete innocence of 99% of victims of crime, the thought of evil people posting dog poo through JRM's or Jezza's letterbox leaves me strangely unmoved.
  • Options
    I’m hoping that in the downing st flat right now Carrie has laid out all the newspaper cuttings about Spotify paying Harry and Meghan 18m to do nothing and Joe Rogan 100m to be a bit of an arse and saying “Boris darling, we cover both bases - just think what we can earn”…..
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

It is very wrong of me of course, but given the complete innocence of 99% of victims of crime, the thought of evil people posting dog poo through JRM's or Jezza's letterbox leaves me strangely unmoved.
    The government should fear the voice of the people through the the ballot box, not by more direct means.

We are sadly seeing a by-election today, because of a breakdown in this relationship.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Politically motivated crimes, including harassment and violence, are corrosive for democracy.
    It's not because politicians are inherently more worth as people -- they aren't -- but because to defend politicians robustly from targeted crimes is to defend democracy itself.

We expect higher standards from politicians because of their position. We should also expect them to get the best level of protection anyone can have.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,745

Sandpit said:

It’s easy to watch from afar and criticise the lack of quality among MPs - but there’s an increasingly small number of people willing to put themselves up for such public scrutiny, especially given that most of them can lead equally lucrative and private lives away from the spotlight.

You have to be politically motivated, in which case it's mostly water off a duck's back. I had lots of friendly posts, a moderate amount of abuse, a small amount of obscene abuse and a single death threat - overall it was fine, and the nasty bits were a minor price for the chance to influence national policy in what I felt to be a positive direction. But if it had just been a way of earning a living? Hell no.

The people who get put off - and this is a serious loss - are the "public servant" types, who don't have strong opinions, but would like to help run the country well. The traditional Conservative Party was particularly strong in those, but Labour and LibDems had a good many too - typically from local council backgrounds. If you populate Parliament exclusively with people (like me) who have strong views and want radical change, you turn up the temperature of politics and risk getting characters who hate the other side (unlike me). You need a mixture of passionate reformers and steady public servants. You don't IMO really need anyone who just thinks it's a job like any other.
    I think it has got a lot worse since you left parliament, though, not least because of the effect of social media and the general increase in polarisation of politics. The problem is especially bad for women MPs, and even worse for ethnic minority women MPs, but it's bad for all MPs now.

I remember once riffling through the papers in a newsagent in central Nottingham (miles away from my constituency) and my eye being caught by some sex story in the Sun. The man standing next to me guffawed and said "Ha, that's what our MP reads, eh?" I smiled vaguely and turned away but yes, it was a goldfish bowl moment. Another time a woman leant over when I was sitting on the bus and said "You're one of those dirty bastards in Parliament, aren't you?"

Social media was warming up then too, and I got 100+ emails a day, some of them nasty. But the overwhelming majority were warm, friendly and/or interesting, and I lost count of the number of times that people came up in the street or the supermarket to thank me for something - even after I'd left Parliament. I don't think it's changed all that much, judging by the local social media and by what MPs who I know tell me.

I'm sure that Richard is right about disgusting abuse to women MPs and minorities in particular, and social media does empower the misogynists and racists out there to get in one's face. But it's just a mistake to think that it's not a rewarding job. 4 days a week you're in with a chance to influence the future of 70 million people. 3 days a week you're able to help individuals and often make a visible difference to their lives. How many MPs stand down voluntarily before they reach 70 or so? Not many. It's still a hugely satisfying way to spend your time.

Also good to remember that every study of that abuse usually leads to a small group of people operating under a number of accounts (see the England footballers after the Euros).
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

If he had the concentration span and work ethic, he should get himself a gig writing fiction for Netflix.
    Genius insight. That is exactly what he'll do, and be author of an updated House of Cards about a fat immoral slob who makes it to the top in English politics. If they can pay the Sussexes $18m for hebephrenic wibble, they can pay him twice that, and he can shell out a tiny fraction of it to an impoverished ghostwriter to do the actual work
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

I remember once riffling through the papers in a newsagent in central Nottingham (miles away from my constituency) and my eye being caught by some sex story in the Sun. The man standing next to me guffawed and said "Ha, that's what our MP reads, eh?" I smiled vaguely and turned away but yes, it was a goldfish bowl moment. Another time a woman leant over when I was sitting on the bus and said "You're one of those dirty bastards in Parliament, aren't you?"

Social media was warming up then too, and I got 100+ emails a day, some of them nasty. But the overwhelming majority were warm, friendly and/or interesting, and I lost count of the number of times that people came up in the street or the supermarket to thank me for something - even after I'd left Parliament. I don't think it's changed all that much, judging by the local social media and by what MPs who I know tell me.

I'm sure that Richard is right about disgusting abuse to women MPs and minorities in particular, and social media does empower the misogynists and racists out there to get in one's face. But it's just a mistake to think that it's not a rewarding job. 4 days a week you're in with a chance to influence the future of 70 million people. 3 days a week you're able to help individuals and often make a visible difference to their lives. How many MPs stand down voluntarily before they reach 70 or so? Not many. It's still a hugely satisfying way to spend your time.

Also good to remember that every study of that abuse usually leads to a small group of people operating under a number of accounts (see the England footballers after the Euros).
    The problem is, they drive and define the conversation. Even on here, 50% of posts seem to be @HYUFD and @BartholomewRoberts. Although the latter has gone quiet of late.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,613
    boulay said:

I’m hoping that in the downing st flat right now Carrie has laid out all the newspaper cuttings about Spotify paying Harry and Meghan 18m to do nothing and Joe Rogan 100m to be a bit of an arse and saying “Boris darling, we cover both bases - just think what we can earn”…..

Yep.

And if they cross the pond, as is his birthright, then he could earn a fortune over there. He'll be able to churn out pieces for Charles Moore (Letter from America, anyone?), speaking engagements too, alongside all the other things you mention.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1489309648587010048

Only three aides in No 10 are paid £140k+. Two just quit (Mirza, Doyle) and the third (Rosenfield) is set to be fired or moved any minute.

With Lister, Frost, Cummings, Cain, da Costa, and Stratton all already gone, there are in effect no senior figures left in Downing Street.

Reynolds gone as well.

Johnson doesn't even have enough aides to have his own Downfall Führerbunker moment.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Boris Uncut! Not the pink petticoat version of Leon's dreams but written by a peceptive writer who knows him well. Long but worth the effort. Good photo too

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/01/boris-johnson-party-pressure/621325/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

Can someone summarise?

The underlings are being kicked out or or quitting.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Wow.

In 95% of countries the average citizen is not going to be able to be educated to be a well paid software engineer. For starters as there are only so many well paid software engineer jobs to go round globally.

We will also still need some people to clean the toilets
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Politically motivated crimes, including harassment and violence, are corrosive for democracy.
    It's not because politicians are inherently more worth as people -- they aren't -- but because to defend politicians robustly from targeted crimes is to defend democracy itself.

We expect higher standards from politicians because of their position. We should also expect them to get the best level of protection anyone can have.
    Look at Rees Mogg in this clip, and explain how he is not corrosive for democracy

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1489298607106887683

And I don't expect higher standards from politicians, I expect the same standards from everybody. Are you saying that you are more OK with your butcher lying to you than your MP? Why?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

I completely understand why politicians retreat behind guards and walls, but it is an unhealthy distance from the real lives of people.
  • Options
    Culture secretary and Johnson loyalist Nadine Dorries is doing the morning broadcast round tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1489311564704407564
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,411
    Sandpit said:

Do you think your slightly younger self would still want to do it though, in the current era of social media, Twitter-based politics and extreme polarisation of opinion?

Like a shot. I'd do it today if I thought I could get selected. Tempus bloody fugit, sadly.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,255
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Genius insight. That is exactly what he'll do, and be author of an updated House of Cards about a fat immoral slob who makes it to the top in English politics. If they can pay the Sussexes $18m for hebephrenic wibble, they can pay him twice that, and he can shell out a tiny fraction of it to an impoverished ghostwriter to do the actual work
    It would be more interesting to see something from him marketed as fiction but with a strong ring of truth than marketed as memoirs but with barely a hint of it. As you say, a new House of Cards type thing but with the flavour of The Ghost. Which was terrific fun because depending on your views of the Blairs you could believe none of it was true or all of it.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,634
    So...slow news day today then, was it?!
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    I’m not saying that the Johnson support club is now down to its irreducible core, but (per Sebastian Payne), Dorries is all they have for tomorrow’s broadcast round.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

boulay said:

Yep.

And if they cross the pond, as is his birthright, then he could earn a fortune over there. He'll be able to churn out pieces for Charles Moore (Letter from America, anyone?), speaking engagements too, alongside all the other things you mention.
    Thinking about it vaguely seriously he could earn a fortune - Spotify would take a regular podcast from him at the drop of a hat (whatever you think of him he’s infinitely more interesting than the Sussexes), Carrie could be the new Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen of You-tube with guest appearances by Lulu Little, GB news (if they have the money) would take him to do a weekly phone in with Boris (like Frasier but not funny), rugby and finance dinners up and down the country would be paying for after dinner speaches, Chinese TV might mistake him for Chris Patten and hire him.

On another note I’m very happy that you and Sean T have called a truce - this site is so much better with a breadth of personality and experience and I felt for you with what you shared today as it shouldn’t happen to anyone and was brave of you to bring it up in what can be a knockabout place.

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,634

Culture secretary and Johnson loyalist Nadine Dorries is doing the morning broadcast round tomorrow

I assume she gets the nod by dint of being the last one there to do it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598
    rcs1000 said:

Please. No fucking sentimental shit on here. I want to keep my breakfast in my stomach.

In reference to ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,521
    kle4 said:

Can someone summarise?

The underlings are being kicked out or or quitting.
    Are we at the Downfall parody stage yet?
  • Options

What do you mean "was"? Only 7pm, plenty of time to go.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

I completely understand why politicians retreat behind guards and walls, but it is an unhealthy distance from the real lives of people.
    I heard it suggested by a politician that the only cure for the doorstepping aggression etc. will be when a suitably skilled politician delivers a physical beating on one such attacker. On camera.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    moonshine said:

Polruan said:

I’m not saying that the Johnson support club is now down to its irreducible core, but (per Sebastian Payne), Dorries is all they have for tomorrow’s broadcast round.

At this rate by next week it will be HYFUD that will be traipsing from The Today studios to Newsround.
    I would like the ermine though Boris before you go. Lord HYUFD of Epping would be fine
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    moonshine said:

Polruan said:

At this rate by next week it will be HYFUD that will be traipsing from The Today studios to Newsround.
    Someone’s got to do it I guess. In 95% of countries we can’t all be well-paid software engineers.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Interesting, eloquent and enlightening

My god, what is happening to PB? The imminent fall of Boris is turning us all into pathetic, amiable weeds

I hope the normal service of vituperative and unnecessary nastiness returns soon
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,490

I assume she gets the nod by dint of being the last one there to do it.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1489304690118602753

The whips office have been neutralised, the No.10 communications office is paralysed, Red-Wallers, Spartans, Grandees, One-Nation Group are mobilising, and the cabinet are publicly cutting the PM loose. Apart from that Operation Save Big Dog is going swimmingly.
  • Options

What do you mean "was"? Only 7pm, plenty of time to go.
    Cameroon vs Egypt just kicked off.

I reckon Cameroon are on fire, Egypt a bit hohum, despite Salah.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,070
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Polruan said:

I would like the ermine though Boris before you go. Lord HYUFD of Epping would be fine
    You deserve it for your efforts, mate.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,796
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Wow.

In 95% of countries the average citizen is not going to be able to be educated to be a well paid software engineer. For starters as there are only so many well paid software engineer jobs to go round globally.

We will also still need some people to clean the toilets
    We need to train more software engineers so that we can start to pay them less. Supply and demand. Good Tory principle.

And then to start to pay very much more for jobs that people do not want to do, like toilet cleaners.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes. But that's still better than a politician just voting for whichever policies they think are least likely to cause them to be attacked in the street or have a mob turn up at their door in the night.
    The danger is that those inclined towards violence are poorly representative of the politics the rest of us want. This is why democracy is better than a military dictatorship and fair elections are better than insurrections.
This discussion has been closed.