Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ipsos-MORI net Johnson satisfaction rating slumps to minus 46% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

My eldest son is reaching an age when he will soon be broadly aware of what a Prime Minister is and who they are. If the Tory rebels fail to depose BoJo and he bats on much longer, then my son’s first memory of a Prime Minister will be of Boris Johnson, someone who will now always carry a reputation for lying, cheating and rule breaking. All the things that healthy societies try to teach their children not to do.

I don’t know if HY has children or not but he would do well to look past partisan Party or personal interest and consider instead whether he thinks this Prime Minister is someone that our children should admire and model their own behaviour against. The same goes of course for the 200-300 ordinary Tory MPs who are the only ones with the power to do anything about it.

Fudhy's a psychopath who will bring his offspring up to vote Nazi No Matter What

Very haunting that Arendt gag about the banality of evil. We are all sitting being po faced about holocaust memorial day and pretending to see no connection with people left to be tortured to death in kabul for the crime of not being dogs, and people crossing the channel and having their one last possession confiscated on grounds of navigating while brown. And it's all LOL Bojo will survive a vonc, huzzah
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

As for joining the EEA I shall tell you what Michael Gove privately thinks about that.

Not going to happen, the Leavers (and The Notorious CRG in particular) would view it as a stepping stone to rejoining and oust any Tory PM to try it.

Labour will not offer to join the EEA as they know the Tories and Farage will spin it as trying to overturn democracy.

The other not so inconsiderable problem is getting our European friends to agree, after the whole Brexit farrago and exit deal they really don't want to have to go through that again.

The only terms they'd offer is something so humiliating and one sided that no UK Prime Minister could ever countenance it.

Agree that a Labour majority government wouldn't do it... but a Labour minority reliant on the Lib Dems for confidence and supply might.
    I imagine Davey is going to want to get some kind of major policy concession from Labour in return for the Lib Dem's support. The other alternative is voting reform (i.e. a referendum on PR), which I can't see the unions being too keen on Labour going ahead with.
    Given the choice of voting reform or EEA - Labour will go for voting reform.

Remember that Labour was going to do it back in 1997 until they won a thumping majority - this time round they know they need to do something to fix the bias against them created by the new boundaries and Scotland.

I suspect a Labour Minority Government would love a deal with the Lib Dems attached to PR - to the extent they would implement it without a referendum.
    If Labour goes for PR the left and half the unions would walk out of the party and set up their own party with Corbyn.

There would never be a Labour majority government again and the LDs would normally be Kingmakers, occasionally RefUK who would also win seats (remember in 2015 we would have had a Tory and UKIP coalition government with PR)
    I can't see it either for the same reasons it hasn't happened in Canada and the Canadian Liberals were in a far worse position pre 2015 (although I do support PR in principle)

I can't see a Labour majority at the next election but there could be one at the election after next (if Labour wins back enough seats from the SNP). The Tories might also descend into infighting once they're in opposition and lose more seats to the Lib Dems. FPTP could start working against the Tories again longer term if they lose the south to the LDs and they're pushed back into their heartlands in Essex, Devon and the Midlands.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,729
    edited January 2022

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Ballet?

CANCELLED

White, white supremacist, ableist, racist, and just evil. So says Princeton University

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/whitey-binds-her-feet-wokeness-princeton-ballet/

People who think “Wokeness” is just a silly rehash of “political correctness gone mad” are sinister morons. Woke is infinitely more dangerous. It seeks to deconstruct western cultural pride and self confidence, until the Chinese just stomp all over us

Interesting source - The American Conservative. The same source suggests we should have another look at the Jan 6 Capitol events to 'check' that it wasn't all a conspiracy provoked by the FBI:
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/simple-questions-about-january-6/

Why do you hunt out all these slightly mad right-wing sites to source your "Wokestapo" stuff?

(By the way, 'Wokestapo" is particularly feeble for a literary giant like you. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?)
    Leon is the new Wokefinder General.

Princeton University Ballet is an amateur company, started as recently as 2008. Their productions are hardly revolutionary, and they are not exactly at the cultural core of the Ballet world.

https://youtu.be/hsdRH8Al1pc

They do seem to have attracted a reasonably diverse group of undergrads to their student society:

http://www.princetonuniversityballet.com/dancers.html

Fox jr2 is a budding actor, and his flatmate is a former professional dancer. Unfortunately his dance career collapsed with covid, but he was becoming quite disenchanted with the world of professional dance.

His dance director would line up the dancers at the beginning of the week and tear a strip off the dancers he didn't like for various aspects of their appearance, particularly their weight and physique. Bear in mind that these were professional dancers, not random kids from the street. By any normal yardstick they were a very buff and slim group of youngsters. They would also be drilled despite injuries, sometimes to the point of permanent damage. The high rate of anorexia nervosa in professional ballet dancers suggests this is not unusual.

The world of performing arts gives the impression of being luvvies, but the reality is often callous and brutal. It is a world that could do with some serious cultural critique.

I know a few professional dancers and choreographers and that's the way it has to be if they want to make a living out of it.The discipline is awe inspiring. If they don't want to keep to the rigours of the profession there are amateur companies they can join.

It isn't different from football. Guardiola has famously kicked players out after returning from their summer break not in shape
    Yes, that does seem to be the only way to make a living out of it, but isn't that a problem? I think that any culture that toxic and authoritarian is long overdue a long look in the mirror. Is it any wonder that people like Weinstein or Spacey thrive in such a culture? The problem is not only the individual, but also the culture.

I agree that in this context professional sport is much the same as the performing arts. No wonder we see regular scandals in gymnastics, cycling, swimming, football etc.

That sort of bullying, brutalisation and teaching by public humiliation has long gone in medicine, though wasn't unusual when I was a student.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

r4 6 pm news leading on kabul. Lot of mileage left in that. Goldsmith been told to explain to Lords why he lied to them.

Just on that, the media have been showing lots of cuddly puppies all day as part of the evacuation and I would suggest not to underestimate just how popular their evacuation is with large parts of the population

Dog ownership has exploded during covid and I cannot recall a time when I have seen so many families out with their dogs on Llandudno and Colwyn Bays beaches and promenades
    Dog prices have more than trebled, with even bog standard cockapoo puppies now selling for £2500-£3000.

But, as companies start to insist that their office workers start to return to the office, there are signs that the number of dogs being given in to rescue centres is on the rise.
    Really and I hope the worse fears of dogs being abandoned do not materialise

Mind you my beloved wife would adopt them all if she could

Interesting dog. Part Bedlington terrier? Though the ears and tail suggest a mixed breed. Quite distinctive.
    Pumi. Recognised as a breed in its own right in Hungary since the 1920s and by both the US and UK kennel clubs just within the last few years.

Jesus Christ mods MAKE IT STOP
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Imagine if in 30's Germany , a football team called themselves (say) Berlin Israelites and had a picture of Moses as its badge. Hitler would not have been impressed no doubt. To those who bullied Exeter into changing their name , think about who else in history did not like cultural appropriation.

Exeter Chiefs haven't changed their name. They've kept the name but rebranded such that the picture is of a Dumnonni warrior (a Celtic tribe in SW England before and indeed after the Romans) rather than a Native American.

I'm a supporter of Exeter Chiefs, and it never worried me but I see it did some and the rebranding to feature a tribe that actually existed in the area is probably more appropriate - they'll flog a few shirts off it, anyway.
    Honestly seems a smart piece of branding to me, even though I find complaints of cultural appropriation etc to be largely bollocks.
    I think it's an absolute masterstroke by a club which are known in rugby as much for being incredibly shrewd financially as for their European Cup win the other year.

It answers the critics while not changing the name, strengthens the association with the wider Westcountry (Cornwall is a big rugby county but no Premiership team), keeps a visually strong brand, grabs column inches, and flogs a ton of merch.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

@Leon will die in the ditch for Boris Johnson because Boris annoys "the lefties".

To be honest I think he may not be alone
    Is that the only criterion for having a Prime Minister - that he annoys your opponents?

I'd have thought running the country for the benefit of all citizens and providing good governance might be rather more relevant virtues, wouldn't you agree?
    I agree - it is absurd
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,644
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

r4 6 pm news leading on kabul. Lot of mileage left in that. Goldsmith been told to explain to Lords why he lied to them.

Just on that, the media have been showing lots of cuddly puppies all day as part of the evacuation and I would suggest not to underestimate just how popular their evacuation is with large parts of the population

Dog ownership has exploded during covid and I cannot recall a time when I have seen so many families out with their dogs on Llandudno and Colwyn Bays beaches and promenades
    Dog prices have more than trebled, with even bog standard cockapoo puppies now selling for £2500-£3000.

But, as companies start to insist that their office workers start to return to the office, there are signs that the number of dogs being given in to rescue centres is on the rise.
    Naah, cockafuckingpoos down to 1,200-1,700 this evening

I love stories of dog homes being presented with We found this stray and brought it to you, and they do a search and there's the actual same dog asking £2,000 3 days ago on local craigslist
    I'm instructed to leave all "t"s at the county border.

Relatives bought a cross between a Shit-su and a poodle, so they now have a tautological dog, which is very carefully pronounced as Shi-Poo.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    stodge said:

stodge said:

@Leon will die in the ditch for Boris Johnson because Boris annoys "the lefties".

Is that the only criterion for having a Prime Minister - that he annoys your opponents?

I'd have thought running the country for the benefit of all citizens and providing good governance might be rather more relevant virtues, wouldn't you agree?
    Some of Boris' s appeal again is similar to Trump's in this particular respect. There are several useful twitter accounts I've seen along those lines over the last few years ; "lovesliberaltears" and several similar accounts. I think Leon's motivations are a bit more complex than that, though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

My eldest son is reaching an age when he will soon be broadly aware of what a Prime Minister is and who they are. If the Tory rebels fail to depose BoJo and he bats on much longer, then my son’s first memory of a Prime Minister will be of Boris Johnson, someone who will now always carry a reputation for lying, cheating and rule breaking. All the things that healthy societies try to teach their children not to do.

I don’t know if HY has children or not but he would do well to look past partisan Party or personal interest and consider instead whether he thinks this Prime Minister is someone that our children should admire and model their own behaviour against. The same goes of course for the 200-300 ordinary Tory MPs who are the only ones with the power to do anything about it.

Fudhy's a psychopath who will bring his offspring up to vote Nazi No Matter What

Very haunting that Arendt gag about the banality of evil. We are all sitting being po faced about holocaust memorial day and pretending to see no connection with people left to be tortured to death in kabul for the crime of not being dogs, and people crossing the channel and having their one last possession confiscated on grounds of navigating while brown. And it's all LOL Bojo will survive a vonc, huzzah
    [deleted - need a bit more wine in me to relax after trying to work out how Word on Mrs C's laptop won't delete the automatic divider lines it creates]
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Interesting dog. Part Bedlington terrier? Though the ears and tail suggest a mixed breed. Quite distinctive.
    Pumi. Recognised as a breed in its own right in Hungary since the 1920s and by both the US and UK kennel clubs just within the last few years.

I have seen one before I think, though it was black. Sheepdogs that have the unusual technique of jumping on sheep if I remember. Mine is a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno.

I think a fair few Britons prefer dogs to people.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

If I may can I issue a word of warning to all those who seem to accept Boris is home and dry for now

Sue Gray's report could be so bad, Boris either resigns or his mps exercise a 'coup d' etat' as early as next week

This is why Boris at the dispatch box, probably on Monday, with Sue Gray's report in his hand is such high drama

Would hope it would be in other people's hands too.
    But I wouldn't put it past him.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Some of Boris' s appeal is again is similar to Trump's in this respect. There are several useful twitter accounts I've seen along those lines over the last few years ; things like "lovesliberaltears".
    He was walking with a group of engineers here in North Wales and people waved and seemed pleased he was on a visit

Amazing in view of his difficulties
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I love stories of dog homes being presented with We found this stray and brought it to you, and they do a search and there's the actual same dog asking £2,000 3 days ago on local craigslist

Relatives bought a cross between a Shit-su and a poodle, so they now have a tautological dog, which is very carefully pronounced as Shi-Poo.
    They all produce roughly equal amounts of dogshit

What's a Shit-su?

One with no elephants
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Was out for a walk at Beer Head a few years back with my chum and his mutt. We get back to the car and there is a large curly brown dog in the adjacent car with its pet human.

Carnyx: 'Ooh, that's a really nice dog. I haven't seen an Irish Water Spaniel for ages!'

Pet human: 'Argh, for once someone knows what it is and doesn't think it's a ****ing cockapoo!!"
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

As for joining the EEA I shall tell you what Michael Gove privately thinks about that.

Not going to happen, the Leavers (and The Notorious CRG in particular) would view it as a stepping stone to rejoining and oust any Tory PM to try it.

Labour will not offer to join the EEA as they know the Tories and Farage will spin it as trying to overturn democracy.

The other not so inconsiderable problem is getting our European friends to agree, after the whole Brexit farrago and exit deal they really don't want to have to go through that again.

The only terms they'd offer is something so humiliating and one sided that no UK Prime Minister could ever countenance it.

Agree that a Labour majority government wouldn't do it... but a Labour minority reliant on the Lib Dems for confidence and supply might.
    I imagine Davey is going to want to get some kind of major policy concession from Labour in return for the Lib Dem's support. The other alternative is voting reform (i.e. a referendum on PR), which I can't see the unions being too keen on Labour going ahead with.

Remember that Labour was going to do it back in 1997 until they won a thumping majority - this time round they know they need to do something to fix the bias against them created by the new boundaries and Scotland.

I suspect a Labour Minority Government would love a deal with the Lib Dems attached to PR - to the extent they would implement it without a referendum.
    The new boundaries don't create a bias against them. They remove a bias in favour of them.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Some of Boris' s appeal is again is similar to Trump's in this respect. There are several useful twitter accounts I've seen along those lines over the last few years ; things like "lovesliberaltears".
    He was walking with a group of engineers here in North Wales and people waved and seemed pleased he was on a visit

You do know those things are organised. They get all the local Tories to turn out. All very Potemkin.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

You do know those things are organised. They get all the local Tories to turn out. All very Potemkin.
    Seemed genuine enough
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I have seen one before I think, though it was black. Sheepdogs that have the unusual technique of jumping on sheep if I remember. Mine is a Portuguese Podengo Pequeno.

Lovely, must pump out some class excrement. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

Still has his supporters, definitely.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Yup, approved guest lists.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wasting yet more time doing yet more fucking customs forms this time to export products which are zero tariff zero quota zero VAT from one place to another to declare that its the same fucking standards on one side of the border as it is on the other.

Seriously, this is why the Border Operating Model doesn't work and why we're completely gumming up our border so that everything takes an eternity to get through. Pointless red tape to declare that no tariff is payable, that no vat is payable, that no standards are different because our standards are their standards are our fucking standards. What is the point in all this?

Before some arse says "but you voted for this", no I didn't. "This" is the Boris Brexit deal. Where after decades of cutting red tape cost and petty bureaucracy the Tory party decided to fuck all that off and impose as much as possible. Not because we actually have diverged and there is anything to check. But because we might want to do so at some point in the future.

Madness. And still prannocks say "but this is much better for the country than we had before". Is it fuck.

This is what you voted for. They literally said we'd leave the Single Market and Customs Union during the campaign.

And there isn't a single non-EU EEA nation in the Customs Union anyway.

So if you wanted to leave the EU but still have all EU benefits then I'm sorry but that's your own mistake.

And we actually have diverged. UK customs rules are not 100% the same as EU ones anymore. UK tariff schedules are not 100% the same as EU ones anymore. So the divergence is very real which is what we voted for.

So fill in the forms and quit moaning.
    There was no need to leave the Single Market when we left the EU. That is a specific decision taken by he post-referendum Government. The EEA always was and still is an option - indeed the best option. It is only he idiocy of the Governments since 2016 that has prevented it being seriously considered.
    If either May or Boris had gone for full EEA and full free movement then no way would the Tories have won a majority in 2019 and Brexit would not have got done as Farage's Brexit Party would have got about 15-20% of the vote. The Leave vote would thus still have been split rather than united as it was in December 2019 behind Boris' Brexit Deal
    I know how much you love quoting polls as if they are the only thing in the world that matters so here is one that I quoted in a PB thread header the day after Leave won the referendum.

"A Yougov poll on 8th June showed that 42% of Leave supporters would prefer the EFTA/EEA route post-Brexit with 45% opposing. I would contend that this would indicate that overall there would be a clear majority of the country that would choose EFTA/EEA over complete separation from the Single Market."

The Government governs for the whole country not just those who won one particular side of a vote. It was incumbent upon them to seek a compromise, especially given that it was likely a majority of the electorate would have been happy with a soft Brexit. That we didn't do that was entirely due to a PM who did not understand Brexit and thought it was all about keeping the 'furrners' out followed by a PM who would have trouble finding the fluff in his belly button without a map and instructions.
    So most Leave voters opposed EEA/EFTA, compared to the vast majority of Leave voters who voted for Boris' Deal in 2019.

Thanks for confirming I was absolutely right and Remain would have won in 2016 if the alternative was just Leave to EEA and keep free movement as most Leavers would not have bothered to turn out to vote Leave for just EEA
    Nope you are not right and that is not what the figures showed. Given that almost half of Leave voters wanted to remain in the EEA and, given that we were leaving, a large majority of Remain voters would have wanted to minimise the damage as they saw it, then there would have been - and I contend still will be - a clear majority in favour of EFTA/EEA membership. I have the figures behind me. You have nothing but your rather singular views.
    99% of Remain voters would still have voted Remain over Leave to EEA in the 2016 referendum.
    However plenty of working class Leave voters in the North and Midlands would have stayed home if Leave promised to keep free movement still and stay in the EEA.

So Remain would have won the referendum with about 60% of the vote and we would still be in the EU and no compromise would have been needed as there would have been no Brexit.

You won on the back of immigration control promises, EEA alone was never going to get you over 50% given we were outside the Eurozone in the EU anyway
    If Boris Brexit had been the promise, leave would have lost.
    Boris got 43.6% in 2019 for his Brexit Deal. Add the Brexit Party's 3% and that is 46% for a hard Brexit outside the EEA and CU.

I doubt EEA plus free movement would even have got to 40% in a straight fight with Remain in 2016
    No, he got 43.6% in a choice between him and the prospect of Corbyn as PM.
    The vast majority of 2019 Tory voters either voted Leave or supported the Boris Deal like me.

Remainers who hated Corbyn or the few Leavers who opposed the Boris Deal as too hard and hated Corbyn voted LD. Leavers who thought the Boris Deal was too soft and wanted No Deal WTO terms Brexit voted Brexit Party or UKIP

stodge said:

stodge said:

Some of Boris' s appeal again is similar to Trump's in this particular respect. There are several useful twitter accounts I've seen along those lines over the last few years ; "lovesliberaltears" and several similar accounts. I think Leon's motivations are a bit more complex than that, though.
    Leon has a not-at-all concealed attraction to various fascist themes. The glee in humiliating your enemies is one of them.

There are one or two others on here with the same predisposition.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277

stodge said:

stodge said:

Does he do any actual governing?

It seems to me he does Cabinet on a Tuesday morning and PMQs on Wednesday lunch and then spends Thurs and Fri in a hi-viz jacket on a building site or a tie tucked in at a vax centre. By late Friday he is at Chequers and then he emerges on Tuesday to start again.

I guess Gove does the endless grinding meetings where decisions are taken.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

My father used to say the more he saw of people the more he liked his dog (which at the time was a wire hair fox terrier)
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73
    When Government minister travel by private planes - they also take the public for a ride.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Is that Headon Hill?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wasting yet more time doing yet more fucking customs forms this time to export products which are zero tariff zero quota zero VAT from one place to another to declare that its the same fucking standards on one side of the border as it is on the other.

Seriously, this is why the Border Operating Model doesn't work and why we're completely gumming up our border so that everything takes an eternity to get through. Pointless red tape to declare that no tariff is payable, that no vat is payable, that no standards are different because our standards are their standards are our fucking standards. What is the point in all this?

Before some arse says "but you voted for this", no I didn't. "This" is the Boris Brexit deal. Where after decades of cutting red tape cost and petty bureaucracy the Tory party decided to fuck all that off and impose as much as possible. Not because we actually have diverged and there is anything to check. But because we might want to do so at some point in the future.

Madness. And still prannocks say "but this is much better for the country than we had before". Is it fuck.

This is what you voted for. They literally said we'd leave the Single Market and Customs Union during the campaign.

And there isn't a single non-EU EEA nation in the Customs Union anyway.

So if you wanted to leave the EU but still have all EU benefits then I'm sorry but that's your own mistake.

And we actually have diverged. UK customs rules are not 100% the same as EU ones anymore. UK tariff schedules are not 100% the same as EU ones anymore. So the divergence is very real which is what we voted for.

So fill in the forms and quit moaning.
    There was no need to leave the Single Market when we left the EU. That is a specific decision taken by he post-referendum Government. The EEA always was and still is an option - indeed the best option. It is only he idiocy of the Governments since 2016 that has prevented it being seriously considered.
    If either May or Boris had gone for full EEA and full free movement then no way would the Tories have won a majority in 2019 and Brexit would not have got done as Farage's Brexit Party would have got about 15-20% of the vote. The Leave vote would thus still have been split rather than united as it was in December 2019 behind Boris' Brexit Deal
    I know how much you love quoting polls as if they are the only thing in the world that matters so here is one that I quoted in a PB thread header the day after Leave won the referendum.

"A Yougov poll on 8th June showed that 42% of Leave supporters would prefer the EFTA/EEA route post-Brexit with 45% opposing. I would contend that this would indicate that overall there would be a clear majority of the country that would choose EFTA/EEA over complete separation from the Single Market."

The Government governs for the whole country not just those who won one particular side of a vote. It was incumbent upon them to seek a compromise, especially given that it was likely a majority of the electorate would have been happy with a soft Brexit. That we didn't do that was entirely due to a PM who did not understand Brexit and thought it was all about keeping the 'furrners' out followed by a PM who would have trouble finding the fluff in his belly button without a map and instructions.
    So most Leave voters opposed EEA/EFTA, compared to the vast majority of Leave voters who voted for Boris' Deal in 2019.

Thanks for confirming I was absolutely right and Remain would have won in 2016 if the alternative was just Leave to EEA and keep free movement as most Leavers would not have bothered to turn out to vote Leave for just EEA
    Nope you are not right and that is not what the figures showed. Given that almost half of Leave voters wanted to remain in the EEA and, given that we were leaving, a large majority of Remain voters would have wanted to minimise the damage as they saw it, then there would have been - and I contend still will be - a clear majority in favour of EFTA/EEA membership. I have the figures behind me. You have nothing but your rather singular views.
    99% of Remain voters would still have voted Remain over Leave to EEA in the 2016 referendum.
    However plenty of working class Leave voters in the North and Midlands would have stayed home if Leave promised to keep free movement still and stay in the EEA.

So Remain would have won the referendum with about 60% of the vote and we would still be in the EU and no compromise would have been needed as there would have been no Brexit.

You won on the back of immigration control promises, EEA alone was never going to get you over 50% given we were outside the Eurozone in the EU anyway
    If Boris Brexit had been the promise, leave would have lost.
    Boris got 43.6% in 2019 for his Brexit Deal. Add the Brexit Party's 3% and that is 46% for a hard Brexit outside the EEA and CU.

I doubt EEA plus free movement would even have got to 40% in a straight fight with Remain in 2016
    No, he got 43.6% in a choice between him and the prospect of Corbyn as PM.
    The vast majority of 2019 Tory voters either voted Leave or supported the Boris Deal like me.

Remainers who hated Corbyn or the few Leavers who opposed the Boris Deal as too hard and hated Corbyn voted LD. Leavers who thought the Boris Deal was too soft and wanted No Deal WTO terms Brexit voted Brexit Party or UKIP
    Yet another tedious off topic click, please can we remove this wretched off topic option.

Nobody uses it because a post is not exactly on the thread header anyway
    I always assume it is a 'fat finger like' and I'm treating all my posts with an Off Topic as just that regardless.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

I wasn't on it !!!!!!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    edited January 2022

stodge said:

stodge said:

Does he do any actual governing?

It seems to me he does Cabinet on a Tuesday morning and PMQs on Wednesday lunch and then spends Thurs and Fri in a hi-viz jacket on a building site or a tie tucked in at a vax centre. By late Friday he is at Chequers and then he emerges on Tuesday to start again.

I guess Gove does the endless grinding meetings where decisions are taken.
    Few decisions are made.

The Treasury continues doing its thing of course, but very largely govt policy making has descended into covid administration and common-room level “red meat” spitballing.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Seemed genuine enough
    Of course. Only the Tories who love him would come and they'd smile. You wouldn't have got an invite.

Seriously, though, those events rely heavily on that sort of shite, a healthy fear of the PM's Met Pol security, and people's natural if misguided good manners. And no doubt TV editing.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Was out for a walk at Beer Head a few years back with my chum and his mutt. We get back to the car and there is a large curly brown dog in the adjacent car with its pet human.

Carnyx: 'Ooh, that's a really nice dog. I haven't seen an Irish Water Spaniel for ages!'

Pet human: 'Argh, for once someone knows what it is and doesn't think it's a ****ing cockapoo!!"
    Yes, few can identify my dog. Usually thought to be a Jack Russell cross. You can tell he isn't because he is fine off a lead, something rare with Jack Russells.
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

My father used to say the more he saw of people the more he liked his dog (which at the time was a wire hair fox terrier)
    Yes.

Especially foreigners who've been stupid enough to trust the UK.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, few can identify my dog. Usually thought to be a Jack Russell cross. You can tell he isn't because he is fine off a lead, something rare with Jack Russell's.
    I'm on the Vizsla and Ridgeback and Patterdale level when ti comes to breed-spotting (my mum was very keen on the hounds) but that would defeat me!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    stodge said:

FF43 said:

Also Princeton Student Ballet has no power over us, or anyone much. Their nonsense can and probably is met with indifference, if not snorts of derision. On topic, I am much more concerned about a corrupt, dishonest and incompetent prime minister continuing to undermine the body politic of this country. That genuinely is dangerous, but @Leon doesn't seem bothered about it.

Surely in that case SKS is a better candidate for PM?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

I wasn't on it !!!!!!
    Insufficiently loyal, aren't you?

(The 2019 campaign was largely approved audience events for Boris, wasn't it? Is he getting the input that we don't love him as much any more, except via a spreadsheet?)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1486764628210335746

Commons Speaker and animal lover Sir Lindsay Hoyle just now in a broadcast pool interview speaking about Pen Farthing:

“I’m an animal lover but I also love people as well”

… as he says there’s a story to come out - but it’s not for him to judge
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Farooq said:

Heathener said:

And so it goes on ... and on ... and on

Simon Calder
    EXCLUSIVE
    Taxpayers spent £500,000 pounds so the foreign secretary didn't have to fly to, from and within Australia on
    Qantas
    Instead, Liz Truss travelled 22,000 miles by private government Airbus A321, creating almost 500 tonnes of CO2 emissions.

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1486663145137614856?s=20

I'm not going to click the link because the indy website is a hot mess of adverts and popups, so perhaps someone can bravely don a tin hat and delve in to tell me what's wrong with flying Quantas?
    Seems like another crap non-story to me. Boris-air was created to impress people and go around signing trade deals and suchlike. If not used for the trip above, when would it be used?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

If I may can I issue a word of warning to all those who seem to accept Boris is home and dry for now

Sue Gray's report could be so bad, Boris either resigns or his mps exercise a 'coup d' etat' as early as next week

This is why Boris at the dispatch box, probably on Monday, with Sue Gray's report in his hand is such high drama

The terms of reference for Gray's report were never set to apportion blame on Johnson or any other individuals. If someone was organising Downing Street raves and selling the tickets for cash to fund the purchase of the marching powder found in the Parliamentary toilets she was never going to point the finger at specific people. That is what the old bill have been brought in for. So the report was never the game changer it was sold as.

"We await Sue Gray's report before sending a letter to Sir Graham Brady", was always a time buying red herring. I can't help feeling that by being played by Johnson the Parliamentary Conservative Party has done itself and UK politics in general enormous long term damage.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Commons Speaker and animal lover Sir Lindsay Hoyle just now in a broadcast pool interview speaking about Pen Farthing:

Totally nothing to do with anything, but I really fucking can't stand Hoyle. Makes my skin crawl. Don't even know why.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    We have two dogs:

The first is a chihuahua that adores my wife, tolerates the rest of the family and attempts to savage everyone else. She is banned from the dog park for attacking an ancient dog and biting her on the face. We cannot take her for walks if there are other dogs around, because she will attempt to slip off the leash and launch herself at them. Whenever we meet a trainer they say 'of course I can fix your dog'. After we spend a few thousand dollars, they say 'hmmm... she's very aggressive isn't she?'

That said, she doesn't chew the furniture.

The second is a minpin - colly mix. And boy is she a bundle of fun. Who needs about six miles of walking a day, and who will attempt to dislocate your arms on walks. She'll also play fetch for an hour or two at a time without getting bored.

Sadly, she also has a rare blood clotting disorder, which means she suffers from mysterious internal bleeds that leave her on death's door and necessitate expensive vet visits.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Totally nothing to do with anything, but I really fucking can't stand Hoyle. Makes my skin crawl. Don't even know why.
    More than the Readers' Dogshit Production Facility intimate pix dominating this thread?

High bar
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

BBC News - F35-C fighter jet: Race is on to reach sunken US plane... before China
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60148482

For the West to lose one F35, off the side of a carrier, is unlucky.

To lose TWO F35s, off the side of two carriers, in as many months…
    What's the underlying data here?

According to the blog piece linked, it's 7 in what is around 500k total flight hours, including accidents / human error.

Is that reliable for a jet combat aircraft?

Does @Dura_Ace have a better handle on this?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes.

Nonsense - this was 70 years ago just post war
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Because he isn't Bercow.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

They all produce roughly equal amounts of dogshit

What's a Shit-su?

One with no elephants
    I only managed to smuggle one T in. Zs don't stand a chance.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes.

Nonsense - this was 70 years ago just post war
    OK no problem there then, and who was this Blondi anyway?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, few can identify my dog. Usually thought to be a Jack Russell cross. You can tell he isn't because he is fine off a lead, something rare with Jack Russell's.
    I'm on the Vizsla and Ridgeback and Patterdale level when ti comes to breed-spotting (my mum was very keen on the hounds) but that would defeat me!
    The Podengo Pequeno is a lovely breed. I met one a decade ago at Crufts, so when my Border Terrier died, I sought one out. Mine came from Betty Judge, and a bargain at £1200.

They are a very amusing breed, and quite fastidious, almost cat like in their habits. Mrs Foxy is more of a cat person, but a complete convert.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    What’s this “party gate” twist that Chris Hope has just tweeted?

Probably Sue Gray caught partying herself 😂
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Applicant said:

eek said:

The new boundaries don't create a bias against them. They remove a bias in favour of them.
    Err, no. Both Tory and Labour enjoy a huge bias in their favour, regardless.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Phil Phil I think we have another outlier!

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 40% (-3)
    CON: 35% (+2)
    LDM: 10% (=)
    SNP: 5% (+1)
    GRN: 3% (=)
    RFM: 3% (+1)

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    Interesting interview with Kate Clanchy on her cancellation.

https://unherd.com/thepost/kate-clanchy-my-lifes-work-has-been-taken-away/
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

That’s the dog I’d have, if I didn’t have mine. He met one in Virginia, they seemed to get on extraordinarily well…

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

BBC News - F35-C fighter jet: Race is on to reach sunken US plane... before China

To add, a quick bit of digging on the American one, suggests a failure of the arrestor cable landing system on the carrier itself. With the British one rumoured to have been an engine ‘blank’ not removed before flight, I think that counts as two serviceable aircraft sent for a drink. At $250m a piece.
    It seems a bit daft to have a military aircraft you can only fly in areas far away from your enemies in case they look at it...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Is that Headon Hill?
    The Warren, yes.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

To add, a quick bit of digging on the American one, suggests a failure of the arrestor cable landing system on the carrier itself. With the British one rumoured to have been an engine ‘blank’ not removed before flight, I think that counts as two serviceable aircraft sent for a drink. At $250m a piece.
    It seems a bit daft to have a military aircraft you can only fly in areas far away from your enemies in case they look at it...
    Dim not to have a remote destruction option, anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You might get a pilot's revolt ;)

And radio waves do not travel through water for any distance
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kinda agree.
    Tbf it may have been the types fawning over him after he replaced Bercow, but the twinkly Lancashire hotpot shyte is like nails down a blackboard..
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You might get a pilot's revolt ;)

And radio waves do not travel through water for any distance
    So you have a "I am gonna explode if you don't put the right code in" thing which needs the code input every 24 hours
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Andy_JS said:

I know it's getting a bit repetitive saying this, but I still think both Sunak and Truss wouldn't like to take over before the May elections.
    The Express has an interesting little nugget for once in its life. Apparently Johnson's allies in the HOC are handing around copies of the paper's headline straight after the fall of the blessed Lady Margaret (PBUH)

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE.

I mean FFS.
  • Options

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

I think we mentioned this one already, John!
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kinda agree.
    Tbf it may have been the types fawning over him after he replaced Bercow, but the twinkly Lancashire hotpot shyte is like nails down a blackboard..
    Aah doont knoo abart yoo boot Aah want ter heer whot ther Prime Minister etc

It's impossible to do that stuff without being classist/regionalist, though, so I dunno what the answer is
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

With apologies to Indy:

"Snakes Dogs! Why did it have to be snakes dogs?!"
  • Options

I'm hearing from reliable sources that it will break tonight that Prince Andrew attended some of these Downing Street parties.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

How many times are Tories and Corbyn Tories going to post this poll this evening?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You think that wouldn't malfunction and go off all the time if they had it?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Johnson attended a birthday party thrown in his honour in Downing St during the first Covid lockdown, when social gatherings indoors were banned.
    Mr Burns later told Channel 4 News: “He was in a sense, ambushed with a cake."
    However now the PM says there was no cake afterall.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1486791576038875144
  • Options
    Report into No 10 ‘partygate’ scandal held up by police investigation https://on.ft.com/3G5T0tC
  • Options

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

How many times are Tories and Corbyn Tories going to post this poll this evening?
    Not as many times as this nugget from Survation.

Which of the following party leaders do you think would make the best Prime Minister?

Keir Starmer (LAB): 40% (+1)
    Boris Johnson (CON): 29% (-1)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Report into No 10 ‘partygate’ scandal held up by police investigation https://on.ft.com/3G5T0tC

Well Dick does owe Boris, given she still has a job and yet top politicians like him never pressure her to go.
  • Options
    There was a cake.

When we approached No 10 for an official response on Monday they did not at any moment deny that there was a cake

Ministers have repeatedly discussed the cake in the interviews ensuing, including Conor Burns.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1486791571328712711
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

With apologies to Indy:

Have you had it with these ... dogs on this ... thread?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Scott_xP said:

Johnson attended a birthday party thrown in his honour in Downing St during the first Covid lockdown, when social gatherings indoors were banned.

Anywhere Johnson and Cummings go, there's plenty of fruitcake around.
  • Options
    Genuinely this is Hope's twist.

Boris Johnson tells allies there was no 'ambush with cake' at No 10 lockdown birthday party

PM adds to confusion over gathering with comment to Conor Burns, revealed by the MP in Chopper’s Politics Podcast

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/27/boris-johnson-tells-allies-no-ambush-cake-no-10-lockdown-birthday/
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    MISTY said:

Andy_JS said:

I know it's getting a bit repetitive saying this, but I still think both Sunak and Truss wouldn't like to take over before the May elections.
    The Express has an interesting little nugget for once in its life. Apparently Johnson's allies in the HOC are handing around copies of the paper's headline straight after the fall of the blessed Lady Margaret (PBUH)

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE.

I mean FFS.
    “What have they done” - arguably, they significantly improved their chances of winning the next election (an election, of course, that they did win).

Not sure that really has quite the right effect.
  • Options

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

Which of the following party leaders do you think would make the best Prime Minister?

That's actually frightening. 29% of people think the same way as Hyufd and BJO.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There was a cake.

When we approached No 10 for an official response on Monday they did not at any moment deny that there was a cake

Ministers have repeatedly discussed the cake in the interviews ensuing, including Conor Burns.

This is becoming tedious
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

Genuinely this is Hope's twist.

Boris Johnson tells allies there was no 'ambush with cake' at No 10 lockdown birthday party

PM adds to confusion over gathering with comment to Conor Burns, revealed by the MP in Chopper’s Politics Podcast

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/27/boris-johnson-tells-allies-no-ambush-cake-no-10-lockdown-birthday/

Looks like a story that has rather run out of steam...
  • Options
    THERE WAS NO CAKE!!!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Ballet?

CANCELLED

White, white supremacist, ableist, racist, and just evil. So says Princeton University

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/whitey-binds-her-feet-wokeness-princeton-ballet/

People who think “Wokeness” is just a silly rehash of “political correctness gone mad” are sinister morons. Woke is infinitely more dangerous. It seeks to deconstruct western cultural pride and self confidence, until the Chinese just stomp all over us

Interesting source - The American Conservative. The same source suggests we should have another look at the Jan 6 Capitol events to 'check' that it wasn't all a conspiracy provoked by the FBI:
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/simple-questions-about-january-6/

Why do you hunt out all these slightly mad right-wing sites to source your "Wokestapo" stuff?

(By the way, 'Wokestapo" is particularly feeble for a literary giant like you. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?)
    Leon is the new Wokefinder General.

Princeton University Ballet is an amateur company, started as recently as 2008. Their productions are hardly revolutionary, and they are not exactly at the cultural core of the Ballet world.

https://youtu.be/hsdRH8Al1pc

They do seem to have attracted a reasonably diverse group of undergrads to their student society:

http://www.princetonuniversityballet.com/dancers.html

Fox jr2 is a budding actor, and his flatmate is a former professional dancer. Unfortunately his dance career collapsed with covid, but he was becoming quite disenchanted with the world of professional dance.

His dance director would line up the dancers at the beginning of the week and tear a strip off the dancers he didn't like for various aspects of their appearance, particularly their weight and physique. Bear in mind that these were professional dancers, not random kids from the street. By any normal yardstick they were a very buff and slim group of youngsters. They would also be drilled despite injuries, sometimes to the point of permanent damage. The high rate of anorexia nervosa in professional ballet dancers suggests this is not unusual.

The world of performing arts gives the impression of being luvvies, but the reality is often callous and brutal. It is a world that could do with some serious cultural critique.

I know a few professional dancers and choreographers and that's the way it has to be if they want to make a living out of it.The discipline is awe inspiring. If they don't want to keep to the rigours of the profession there are amateur companies they can join.

It isn't different from football. Guardiola has famously kicked players out after returning from their summer break not in shape
    Yes, that does seem to be the only way to make a living out of it, but isn't that a problem? I think that any culture that toxic and authoritarian is long overdue a long look in the mirror. Is it any wonder that people like Weinstein or Spacey thrive in such a culture? The problem is not only the individual, but also the culture.

I agree that in this context professional sport is much the same as the performing arts. No wonder we see regular scandals in gymnastics, cycling, swimming, football etc.

That sort of bullying, brutalisation and teaching by public humiliation has long gone in medicine, though wasn't unusual when I was a student.
    I wouldn't worry as history is on your side. This change will happen here in elite sport, and the teaching methods will become regarded as abusive. It is a surprise it hasn't happened already, I guess there are still some bastions of the old order that need to be kicked in to shape. For most people, it is probably a good thing. My son had a swimming teacher who adopted this type of bullying style and he hated it, he made much more progress with the nice friendly teacher in the group he was moved to. But this was a pre school learn to swim group, not an elite sport.

I think @Roger is right though. Getting anywhere in elite sport or the arts involves an insane amount of personal discipline and commitment. Can you really build that without these methods? I am not so sure.
  • Options
    Very dull twist. Have the scriptwriters lost their touch?
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

With apologies to Indy:

It's mystifying enough that people can be bothered to spend time and money owning these dogshit generators, but what really perplexes me is the assumption that we will all be pleased and impressed by photographic evidence of the fact.

Anyway, off to have a dump. I'll be sure to post a pic.

Laters
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Anywhere Johnson and Cummings go, there's plenty of fruitcake around.
    And closets. Maybe the cake jumped out of a closet, that sounds good for an ambush.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

THERE WAS NO CAKE!!!

Is the frenzied cake hysteria waning at last?

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

With apologies to Indy:

It's mystifying enough that people can be bothered to spend time and money owning these dogshit generators, but what really perplexes me is the assumption that we will all be pleased and impressed by photographic evidence of the fact.

Laters
    We should send all dogs to Korea.

Now cats, those are beautiful creatures, everyone should have one.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

Andy_JS said:

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE.

I mean FFS.
    “What have they done” - arguably, they significantly improved their chances of winning the next election (an election, of course, that they did win).

Not sure that really has quite the right effect.
    Yeah well there's that, and there's the arrogance and delusion of assuming any equivalence between the Blessed Lady and the dissembler in chief.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There was a cake.

This is becoming tedious
    Another tactic of course. Trivilising has already been tried, and boring with inconsequential details is another.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

If the option of neither was included I guarantee that would win
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,294
    edited January 2022
    As a leftie there's a lot I don't agree with in this piece by Allister Heath but for all tories it's well worth a read:

"The Conservatives face 1997-style annihilation if they don’t stop this drift"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/26/conservatives-face-1997-style-annihilation-dont-stop-drift/

• Options
    edited January 2022

Chopper has been pretty wayward recently so I'd take the cake 'twist' as ... why are we even excited by whether or not there was an actual cake?!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

There was no cake. There were high-sugar work provisions shared between colleagues at lunch, followed by a motivational song. I don't know why the media is fixating on all this tittle-tattle ; most people will want to move on and focus on the people's priorities, including ensuring that the Ukraine war hots up over the weekend.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

If the option of neither was included I guarantee that would win
    Larry the Cat for PM?

I'd take him over the Johnson...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

As a leftie there's a lot I don't agree with in this piece by Allister Heath but for all tories it's well worth a read:

"The Conservatives face 1997-style annihilation if they don’t stop this drift"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/26/conservatives-face-1997-style-annihilation-dont-stop-drift/

Except they don't.

All the latest polls point to a hung parliament, admittedly with Labour winning most seats but not even a Labour majority let alone a landslide, certainly once the boundary changes go through.

The Tories would also comfortably still win more seats than 2005 and 2001, let alone 1997.

Shade over dramatic too 'Without drastic, urgent action, the party will be sucked into the kind of death spiral that sank John Major’s government in the mid 1990s, and a Left-wing coalition led by Sir Keir Starmer and supported by the SNP, Welsh nationalists, Greens and other rabble-rousers may seize power in 2023 or 2024. Such an outcome would be calamitous, and result in a vicious class and cultural war from which the country would never recover.'

He also says 'The aim would be to ruthlessly target the 43.6 per cent of the electorate who voted Tory in 2019, but by following the broadly conservative approach these voters expected, rather than the weird blend of reheated neo-Brownite social democracy and green paternalism that was unleashed upon them instead.'

Which is a load of rubbish given most of the redwall voters who voted Tory in 2019 for the first time also voted for Brown in 2010
  • Options

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

If you dont like Polls reverting to small Labour leads or even Tories retaking the lead i would stay off here for the next month or two Pete

"Any other leader would be 20pts ahead" - Blair
  • Options
    Applicant said:

eek said:

The problem with Lab going for PR is that they are generally winners from FPTP (2019 is an exception)

1997 - 43% of votes, 63 % of seats
    2001 - 41% of votes, 63 % of seats
    2005 - 35% of votes, 55 % of seats
    2010 - 29% of votes, 40 % of seats
    2015 - 30% of votes, 36 % of seats
    2015 - 30% of votes, 36 % of seats
    2017 - 40% of votes, 40 % of seats
    2019 - 32% of votes, 31 % of seats

And they would probably get fewer votes under PR as the left would split into a different party
  • Options
    🔴Attendees at Downing Street parties will receive letters from the police offering them the chance to pay a fine rather than be interviewed by officers https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/27/dozens-attended-downing-street-parties-can-pay-fines-instead/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643314197-2
  • Options

Via
    @Survation
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 14-17 Jan.

If you dont like Polls reverting to small Labour leads or even Tories retaking the lead i would stay off here for the next month or two Pete
    Blimey. You really believe that or are you trolling him? :neutral:
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

With apologies to Indy:

Laters
    We should send all dogs to Korea.

Now cats, those are beautiful creatures, everyone should have one.
    Our daughter and family have both

And we had our own cats and fostered others when we were younger
  • Options
    x
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ballet?

CANCELLED

Every quote they use, as they say, comes direct from Princeton Uni
    Okay. So why don't you give us the links direct from Princeton Uni then, rather than mediated with commentary from a far-right website? Let's read the primary sources for ourselves.

Oh, and can you at least agree that your use of "Wokestapo" is poor, for several reasons, at least one of them rather obvious?
    If one must be used I'd have thought Wokerazzi would work better.
    Wokeypokey
This discussion has been closed.