Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s leader ratings fall to Corbyn’s GE2019 levels – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Westminster Voting Intention (Red Wall):

*Liz Truss as Conservative Leader*

LAB: 51%
    CON: 29%
    LDM: 7%
    GRN: 6%
    REF: 4%

via @RedfieldWilton, 19-20 Jan

Wow. Confirming what I thought.
    I've said before she's crap. Hopefully the Tory membership are stupid enough to elect her as BJ's replacement.
    She's another unserious politician, albeit without afaik the moral vacancy of BJ. Her attempts to do serious statesman (statesperson?) are about as convincing as BJ's, and on the once bitten principle..
    Unserious politician that got elected.
    Golly, has that combo ever happened before?
    What do you suppose we should do about it.
    Who's we?

If you don't mind politicans being unserious vote for them, if you do mind, don't. Being elected doesn't vouchsafe very much, and discussion of qualifications to be eg pm is open season (or this site wouldn't exist).
    Every politician who makes it onto the ballot paper is intensely serious and has been to get to that point.

Not your flavour? Fair enough.

Liz Truss or David Lammy would make mincemeat of you on any chosen topic under the sun.
    Who was monarch after Henry VIII? (being slightly cruel)
    Edward VI. Easy to remember as he founded my school.
    And who was the first Tudor Queen?
    Elizabeth of York, right? You didn't specify Queen regnant.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

I've said before she's crap. Hopefully the Tory membership are stupid enough to elect her as BJ's replacement.
    She's another unserious politician, albeit without afaik the moral vacancy of BJ. Her attempts to do serious statesman (statesperson?) are about as convincing as BJ's, and on the once bitten principle..
    Who's we?

If you don't mind politicans being unserious vote for them, if you do mind, don't. Being elected doesn't vouchsafe very much, and discussion of qualifications to be eg pm is open season (or this site wouldn't exist).
    Every politician who makes it onto the ballot paper is intensely serious and has been to get to that point.

Liz Truss or David Lammy would make mincemeat of you on any chosen topic under the sun.
    Elizabeth of York, Princess Royal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    “Eccentric” isn’t the description I’d use:

France, Britain, the US, the Balts, Poles, Czechs have all sold or donated weapons to Ukraine. Germany's insistence that it doesn't want to help Ukraine defend itself is looking increasingly eccentric

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1484581181563805700?s=21
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    2/3 of Unionist voters want the DUP to crash the Stormont Executive if Article 16 is not triggered

https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1484657507914104833?s=20
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

I presume they will claim just on a sightseeing trip to look at the lovely trees.

Interesting analysis of satellite images showing Russian troop buildup near Ukraine by
    @Kierand99
    and
    @Jack_P_Taylor
    of
    @SkyNews
    forensic journalism team.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/1484643936970883073?s=20

Are there any cathedrals there?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    OK, I have kept a suitably long respectful silence...

I can't stand Meat Loaf's music.

And he always looked like he'd benefit from a good bath.

Daft bugger should have taken the jab.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

Who's we?

Elizabeth of York?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Rory the tory

Boris Johnson is a terrible prime minister and a worse human being. But he is not a monster newly sprung from a rent between this world and the next.

Twenty years have passed since the Conservative party first selected him as a candidate. Michael Howard and David Cameron made him a shadow minister, and Theresa May gave him the Foreign Office. Thirty years of celebrity made him famous for his mendacity, indifference to detail, poor administration, and inveterate betrayal of every personal commitment. Yet, knowing this, the majority of Conservative MPs, and party members, still voted for him to be prime minister. He is not, therefore, an aberration, but a product of a system that will continue to produce terrible politicians long after he is gone.

FT today. Search "Britain needs a new era of serious leaders" to get round paywall

One quibble. Boris Johnson fought a seat in Clwyd in 1997, which is 25 years ago.
    Yes

And it's worse than that. There's that letter from Eton to his dad saying he is a fat conceited self regarding slob, and then they - a load of mature and sensible adults - make him head boy* anyway. What the holy fuck is that about?

*I am sure Eton has nothing so middle class as a head boy. Captain of Oppidans or Magister of the Wet bobs or something
    It's very hard to understand how he got to be Head Boy - or the effective equivalent in Eton terms.

I hope that's something they're embarrassed about.
    Perhaps the alternative was some straggly marxist teenager who seemed to hate the school and was always banging on about the global south.
    Corbyn wasn't at Eton, he was at Adams Grammar.

As was a grandfather, albeit a few years earlier.

ETA - coincidentally my father was at Reigate for sixth form, while my grandfather worked in Surrey.

So for the next leader of the Labour Party, assume they were at Newent Comprehensive...
    You'll be a vast improvement on the current incumbent.

Should Labour win the GE, Prime Minister's Puns will be a popular feature at Wednesday lunchtimes, I have no doubt.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    Is that another Labour policy the Tories are going to adopt?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Glad to see Jim Steinman got a name check on BBC's obit.

A symbiotic relationship.
    Neither could have really achieved without the other.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Rory the tory

Boris Johnson is a terrible prime minister and a worse human being. But he is not a monster newly sprung from a rent between this world and the next.

Twenty years have passed since the Conservative party first selected him as a candidate. Michael Howard and David Cameron made him a shadow minister, and Theresa May gave him the Foreign Office. Thirty years of celebrity made him famous for his mendacity, indifference to detail, poor administration, and inveterate betrayal of every personal commitment. Yet, knowing this, the majority of Conservative MPs, and party members, still voted for him to be prime minister. He is not, therefore, an aberration, but a product of a system that will continue to produce terrible politicians long after he is gone.

FT today. Search "Britain needs a new era of serious leaders" to get round paywall

One quibble. Boris Johnson fought a seat in Clwyd in 1997, which is 25 years ago.
    Yes

And it's worse than that. There's that letter from Eton to his dad saying he is a fat conceited self regarding slob, and then they - a load of mature and sensible adults - make him head boy* anyway. What the holy fuck is that about?

*I am sure Eton has nothing so middle class as a head boy. Captain of Oppidans or Magister of the Wet bobs or something
    It's very hard to understand how he got to be Head Boy - or the effective equivalent in Eton terms.

I hope that's something they're embarrassed about.
    Perhaps the alternative was some straggly marxist teenager who seemed to hate the school and was always banging on about the global south.
    Corbyn wasn't at Eton, he was at Adams Grammar.

As was a grandfather, albeit a few years earlier.

ETA - coincidentally my father was at Reigate for sixth form, while my grandfather worked in Surrey.

So for the next leader of the Labour Party, assume they were at Newent Comprehensive...
    You'll be a vast improvement on the current incumbent.

Should Labour win the GE, Prime Minister's Puns will be a popular feature at Wednesday lunchtimes, I have no doubt.
    Mr Speaker, the right honourable member has asked about my policies. I would answer, but I was too busy enjoying the amusing fact that the leading member of this place is A Johnson.
This discussion has been closed.