Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

There’s no need for a LAB-LD pact or progressive alliance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

I don't agree with Topping's mountaineering comparison. It's crass.

However, there are aspects to this that might confuse. There are 'good' mountaineers/hikers/walkers/climbers: people who go up with the correct equipment, judging the conditions, and come unstuck due to a simple mistake or bad luck, such as weather.

Then there are 'mountaineers' (really, people who go up mountains) who wear the wrong kit, don't look at the weather, and carry no equipment to help them. I've seen loads like this, like a couple of people in loafers near the top of Scafell Pike, or jeans and no pack in cold mist on Kinder Scout.

I have much more sympathy with the former than the latter.

I vaguely recall a story about an american chap who decided to pack in the modern world and live off the land in the wild or somesuch, but had no skills, training or proper supplies to do so, not even a map, and he died. Apparently it got made into a relatively sympathetic story and some saw it as a noble pursuit, but local rangers essentially took the view that the chap had effectively (though not intentionally) committed suicide through carelessness.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_McCandless

Good film about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

As we are discussing stupid things have we covered Oklahoma trying to use the Texas abortion fines to remove books from Oklahoma schools

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/587517-oklahoma-lawmaker-introduces-book-banning-bill

I'm so looking forward to the removal of every book from every school and watching the teachers try and teach from nothing.

Unsurprisingly. Banning books gives them a certain cachet amongst young people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/23/us-book-bans-conservative-parents-reading
    Local bookseller on a book which wasn't even in the school library (except as an ebook):

'“It was not easy to find a box full of 33 Snowfish, but we did,” he continues. “We sold all that we bought, and we kept a couple as loaners because we wanted to make sure any students in the community could see what the fuss was about. There will always be some around.”

It’s now easier than ever to read 33 Snowfish in Spotsylvania county [...]'
    Oh it's publicity gold to an author when their book is banned - it wouldn't surprise me if agents sought to get their author's books banned just for the publicity it generates.
    When The Well of Loneliness was banned, Virginia Wolff and Compton Mackenzie were furious that Orlando and Extraordinary Women were not banned at the same time. They felt cheated out of the extra sales a court case would produce.

Oddly, Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned at the same time, and not republished for 30 years. And when it was finally published in 1959 the trial caused sales to rocket. Huge numbers of copies were being passed round schools in the hope that they would find the naughty bits.

The key thing linking them of course is that they were all otherwise notably undistinguished books.
    See also the Satanic Verses which I've found unreadable both times I've attempted to start it.
    The most comical one I worked on was Ulysses, which escaped a formal ban because the lawyer assessing it at the request of the Home Office admitted he had been totally unable to read it. Instead, they launched proceedings under various post office regulations as far as can be judged simply to annoy James Joyce.

Quite amazingly, there is a record of an American magistrate who had somehow read and understood it.
    I didn't realise one was supposed to actually understand it. I thought Ulysses was simply a collection of words in a semi-random order that existed to test the patience of the reader.

I made it about six pages in.
    It is the only novel I have read twice

Tho I confess I couldn't get past the third paragraph of Finnegan's Wake
    When I'm sitting in an airport lounge, sleep deprived, unsure what time of day or night it is, then I find rereading novels is a perfect way to pass the time.
    A very religious uni friend said something about the bible. He had read it many times, and at times of stress, or boredom, he would pick up a bible and read it: it relaxed him, and the familiarity of the text was like talking to a friend and time would fly.

He also said that reading a different version of the bible was rather jarring, as he noticed the differences.
    He presumably means a different English translation, rather than a different version.
    Not being religious, I assumed 'version' equated to 'translation'?

I.e. the King James bible is a translation, but also a version?
    If you only read it in English, then yes, it's a distinction without a difference. My point was that the reason why you have so many English "versions", and why there are differences between them big enough to feel jarring, is that it's an English translation of a (Latin translation of a) Greek translation of the originals in either Aramaic or Hebrew. The original untranslated versions are all mostly close enough together that you can read different versions without the jarring feeling.
    Absolute utter and unqualified balls, every book of the New Testament was originally written in koine Greek.
    Yes, but that wasn't the language used by the principals, so translated at that point.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    I love the way my use of 'version' rather than 'translation' about the bible has led to a heated discussion.

After which I am none the wiser! Even if I used the wrong word, I think everyone knew what I meant .. :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    We have a powerful weapon to fight inflation: price controls. It’s time we use it
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/inflation-price-controls-time-we-use-it

Deary me...we have had the American advisers to US government saying inflation has been solved like Brown said Boom and Bust, now we can solve this problem of inflation with government price controls.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Eabhal said:

I can't believe we still have to say this: SPECIMEN DATE is what you need to look for.

The current max is 145,000 on the 22nd.

However, the 27th is currently at 135,000. I think it's likely that bumps up to at least 150,000 once all the tests are counted.

I stand by my prediction of 230,000 at some point.

Everyone knows the holiday period reporting date figures are just a bit of fun surely?
    I read out the case figure at the dinner table and there were gasps from my family. I then explained why the figures were higher today.
    Because so many people got infected at family get togethers on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

We have a powerful weapon to fight inflation: price controls. It’s time we use it
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/inflation-price-controls-time-we-use-it

Deary me...we have had the American advisers to US government saying inflation has been solved like Brown said Boom and Bust, now we can solve this problem of inflation with government price controls.

Like the energy cap? :)
  • Options
    We are in big trouble I am afraid.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Last anecdote of the day...

I had to visit the local pharmacy to collect a prescription. Notice: We don't have any LFTs and we don't know when we might have some.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1476274810552471560

Patients in English hospitals now over 10,000, but still tracking bottom range of Sage scenarios

So Sage were right
  • Options

Edouard Mathieu
    @redouad
    ·
    3h
    I wish people who criticize the UK COVID data spent some time looking into other countries' system, to realize how incredibly lucky they are.

No other large country in the world has a dashboard that's:
    - So rich and well-designed
    - Updated on a timely basis
    - With a working API
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Is everyone worried that anti vaxxers will put pressure on the NHS thus locking everyone down.

@JosiasJessop called them murderous bastards. Who are they murdering.

Themselves - and anyone else who dies because ICU beds are taken / blocked by anti-vaxxers who would otherwise have not been so seriously ill.
    Slippery slope. What about Mountaineers.
    Slippery slope is skiers, not mountaineers, silly.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Last anecdote of the day...

I had to visit the local pharmacy to collect a prescription. Notice: We don't have any LFTs and we don't know when we might have some.

Same in my local Boots
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    edited December 2021

I love the way my use of 'version' rather than 'translation' about the bible has led to a heated discussion.

After which I am none the wiser! Even if I used the wrong word, I think everyone knew what I meant .. :)

I would say you used the right word, actually. The different translations of the Bible are called 'versions.' It's just that they differ in more than the words used, because of the different materials they use for that translation. Which is not as widely appreciated as perhaps it should be.

There is a reason why traditionally clergy were supposed to know Greek and Hebrew - so that issue wouldn't affect them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

I've been repeatedly asked by my friends if I wrote the latest series of Boris Johnson Worzel Gummidge.

The latest episode of the BBC’s new Worzel Gummidge sees actors deliver a range of hidden jokes for watching adults, incorporating the naughtiest-sounding bird names they could find.

Red faces as new BBC Worzel Gummidge episode ‘littered’ with sexual innuendos...

....Viewers remarked on the unusual frequency of bird names, including the “red-knobbed coot”, “blue-footed booby” and “penduline tit”.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1476280493150810112

Isn't there are series of innocent looking children's books that's full of truly obscene double meanings? Such as 'Who will help Jack off the horse?' and 'Brenda's Beaver Plays A Round?'
    Brenda's Beaver Needs A Barber is hilarious! 😂
    Oh, it really does exist, I find:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brendas-Beaver-Needs-Barber-Books-Season-ebook/dp/B06XWXM52P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GR96DIMX1HBD&keywords=Brenda's+Beaver+Needs+a+Barber&qid=1640808525&s=books&sprefix=brenda+s+beaver+needs+a+barber,stripbooks,74&sr=1-1
    Hmm. Just noticed the titles of the other books.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bimisi-Tayanita/e/B08PCT2ZG4?ref=dbs_m_mng_rwt_byln
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2021

See you in ICU Nige!!! :smiley:

Although I wont be with you, as I will be taking the 4th booster.

Will that be the booster that infects you with alien-reptile DNA that will reprogram your inner operating system so that you can connect yourself to the new version of the Matrix in which Donald Qanon is President-for-life?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1476274810552471560

Patients in English hospitals now over 10,000, but still tracking bottom range of Sage scenarios

So Sage were right

Lol. The whole point of the Sage modelling is it encompasses all possible futures. If the reality was outside the ranges they'd quoted, that would be a much bigger story - it would invalidate their modelling almost single-handedly - and the fact that it's inside means almost nothing. The key point is that it's at the bottom of the range, which means that we're fine: if it was tracking the top of the range (and remember, the ranges were absolutely massive), then we would indeed be in trouble.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1476279510161051650

Realise I’m being a Debbie Downer tonight but just one more note…

NHS England have not reported hospital deaths since 24 December so the data is incomplete. They report the backlog tomorrow.

Expect a big number.

{and ideally use specimen date}
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

However, there are aspects to this that might confuse. There are 'good' mountaineers/hikers/walkers/climbers: people who go up with the correct equipment, judging the conditions, and come unstuck due to a simple mistake or bad luck, such as weather.

Then there are 'mountaineers' (really, people who go up mountains) who wear the wrong kit, don't look at the weather, and carry no equipment to help them. I've seen loads like this, like a couple of people in loafers near the top of Scafell Pike, or jeans and no pack in cold mist on Kinder Scout.

Many years ago while I was in Aber, I had gone out early one morning to photograph the scenery after a heavy overnight fall of snow.

Coming back down Constie (the big cliff at the north end with the funicular) in proper mountain boots with thick, grippy rubber soles, very gingerly, I met a couple of younger students walking up. The girl was in high heels. She had no grip at all.

I managed to keep calm and persuaded them to turn around, but my goodness, I was hiding being very angry.
    You get that a lot in the Alps in the summer. Typically a couple who have gone up the cable car ‘just to look at the view’ and then decided to wander off along some mountain path.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290

You keep saying this, is there any chance of you elaborating? What scenario do you envisage for the UK, Europe, the world?

Genuine question. Just coming on here and saying "Oo-er" is not especially enlightening

And yes I know I do it all the time but at least I endeavour to entertain, mostly
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

If you want to see what happens with price controls, look to the energy price caps which are about to get doubled - with all the blame going to the government, rather than to Putin and his band of merry men choking the gas supply.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

As we are discussing stupid things have we covered Oklahoma trying to use the Texas abortion fines to remove books from Oklahoma schools

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/diversity-inclusion/587517-oklahoma-lawmaker-introduces-book-banning-bill

I'm so looking forward to the removal of every book from every school and watching the teachers try and teach from nothing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/23/us-book-bans-conservative-parents-reading
    Local bookseller on a book which wasn't even in the school library (except as an ebook):

'“It was not easy to find a box full of 33 Snowfish, but we did,” he continues. “We sold all that we bought, and we kept a couple as loaners because we wanted to make sure any students in the community could see what the fuss was about. There will always be some around.”

Oh it's publicity gold to an author when their book is banned - it wouldn't surprise me if agents sought to get their author's books banned just for the publicity it generates.
    When The Well of Loneliness was banned, Virginia Wolff and Compton Mackenzie were furious that Orlando and Extraordinary Women were not banned at the same time. They felt cheated out of the extra sales a court case would produce.

Oddly, Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned at the same time, and not republished for 30 years. And when it was finally published in 1959 the trial caused sales to rocket. Huge numbers of copies were being passed round schools in the hope that they would find the naughty bits.

The key thing linking them of course is that they were all otherwise notably undistinguished books.
    See also the Satanic Verses which I've found unreadable both times I've attempted to start it.
    The most comical one I worked on was Ulysses, which escaped a formal ban because the lawyer assessing it at the request of the Home Office admitted he had been totally unable to read it. Instead, they launched proceedings under various post office regulations as far as can be judged simply to annoy James Joyce.

Quite amazingly, there is a record of an American magistrate who had somehow read and understood it.
    I didn't realise one was supposed to actually understand it. I thought Ulysses was simply a collection of words in a semi-random order that existed to test the patience of the reader.

When I'm sitting in an airport lounge, sleep deprived, unsure what time of day or night it is, then I find rereading novels is a perfect way to pass the time.
    A very religious uni friend said something about the bible. He had read it many times, and at times of stress, or boredom, he would pick up a bible and read it: it relaxed him, and the familiarity of the text was like talking to a friend and time would fly.

He also said that reading a different version of the bible was rather jarring, as he noticed the differences.
    He presumably means a different English translation, rather than a different version.

If you only read it in English, then yes, it's a distinction without a difference. My point was that the reason why you have so many English "versions", and why there are differences between them big enough to feel jarring, is that it's an English translation of a (Latin translation of a) Greek translation of the originals in either Aramaic or Hebrew. The original untranslated versions are all mostly close enough together that you can read different versions without the jarring feeling.
    Absolute utter and unqualified balls, every book of the New Testament was originally written in koine Greek.
    He said the Bible, not the New Testament. If he'd said the NT, I would agree with you.

Also, chill the heck out.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You keep saying this, is there any chance of you elaborating? What scenario do you envisage for the UK, Europe, the world?

Genuine question. Just coming on here and saying "Oo-er" is not especially enlightening

And yes I know I do it all the time but at least I endeavour to entertain, mostly
    I posted a lot earlier Leon.

I think with the large number of cases, mutations are likely which could evade vaccines and/or be more dangerous as we saw with delta.

The people in hospital is going one way: up.

I think we're in trouble. I still hope I am wrong but I am no longer unworried as I was a few days ago.
  • Options
    Almost the right word:

"Visitors to the former home of Bloomsbury artist Vanessa Bell, Virginia Woolf's sister, had complained for years about the potholes. One warned in a review: 'You risk your car's suspension – and you need to wear a sports bra.'"

Yet using emergency funding for private property - it's like the potato famine walls in the Western Islands.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    ydoethur said:

I would say you used the right word, actually. The different translations of the Bible are called 'versions.' It's just that they differ in more than the words used, because of the different materials they use for that translation. Which is not as widely appreciated as perhaps it should be.

There is a reason why traditionally clergy were supposed to know Greek and Hebrew - so that issue wouldn't affect them.
    Also differ in the audiences.

Crudely, say the difference between a children's bible, one designed for elementary speakers of English, and one aimed at being a literal translation not a paraphrase.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Sandpit said:

If you want to see what happens with price controls, look to the energy price caps which are about to get doubled - with all the blame going to the government, rather than to Putin and his band of merry men choking the gas supply.
    I posted on here 6+ months ago about how concerned I was hearing one of Biden's big economic advisors saying yes we are going to print a load of money, we aren't too worried about if we don't target it that accurately, it will all work out in the end as inflation has been solved in Western economies.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Is everyone worried that anti vaxxers will put pressure on the NHS thus locking everyone down.

Themselves - and anyone else who dies because ICU beds are taken / blocked by anti-vaxxers who would otherwise have not been so seriously ill.
    When was the last date the ICU was filled with thousands of Mountaineers?

I'll wait for an answer.
    Yes, it is a ridiculous and asinine comparison, and I'm surprised Topping is making it. He is rarely this dim

To invoke mountaineers you'd have to hypothesise a cerebral virus which was forcing people of all ages and sizes to do dangerous sports: causing millions of them to climb mountains, ski glaciers, abseil cliffs, try base jumping, do underwater caving etc, and in the face of this wave if risk taking the government has invented and distributed remarkably effective and FREELY AVAIILABLE new sports equipment - kit that keeps 95% of the users of the equipment out of danger, and out of hospital. Thus saving the health system from collapse

All, that is, except for the mountaineers who continue to insist on going mountaineering without the amazing new equipment because of "civil liberties" "I like the thrill" etc etc thus thousands of mountaineers are now filling the hospitals with their injuries and broken skulls and people with other ordinary illnesses are dying for lack of hospital care. Thanks to the fucking mountaineers

In THAT case it would be judicious to punish the mountaineers, make their lives much harder, maybe even refuse them treatment, until they use the fantastic new dangerous sports kit freely provided to all
    Bravo.
  • Options
    We have new results on T cell responses to #Omicron, and its good news!
    Paper submitted for peer review & preprint:
    medrxiv.org/content/10.110…

📢TL;DR: Most of your T cell responses from vaccination or previous infection still recognise Omicron.
    #Getvaccinated #GetthoseTcellsnow

https://twitter.com/virusmonologues/status/1476221647417921536
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Many years ago while I was in Aber, I had gone out early one morning to photograph the scenery after a heavy overnight fall of snow.

Coming back down Constie (the big cliff at the north end with the funicular) in proper mountain boots with thick, grippy rubber soles, very gingerly, I met a couple of younger students walking up. The girl was in high heels. She had no grip at all.

I managed to keep calm and persuaded them to turn around, but my goodness, I was hiding being very angry.
    You get that a lot in the Alps in the summer. Typically a couple who have gone up the cable car ‘just to look at the view’ and then decided to wander off along some mountain path.
    One very snowy day a friend of mine met an ill-equipped and lost pair in the Lairig Ghru [trhough valley in the Cairngorm Hills]. He took them down to safety - at the cost of going well out of his way. But ...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is mostly my fault, and I'm happy to agree that it isn't a particularly important difference in the grand scheme of things. However, I don't think it's just about the different underlying texts being used, simply because translation is not an exact science - there are a large number of Old Testament translations around which are translated directly from the Hebrew, and there are significant differences between them in English.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

I don’t know… I rather enjoy the Treacle Bible
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

📢TL;DR: Most of your T cell responses from vaccination or previous infection still recognise Omicron.

So, about that imperial study...
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Crudely, say the difference between a children's bible, one designed for elementary speakers of English, and one aimed at being a literal translation not a paraphrase.
    I'm always wary of those books that claim to be 'literal translations.' For example, I believe you can literally translate German, as it is a very literal language, but nobody who is not actually unhinged would try to 'literally' translate Welsh into English as it is so idiomatic it would come out as meaningless drivel.

To the credit of the NIV, they make it clear from the start that they didn't try a 'literal' translation: rather, they went to enormous efforts to ensure what they had written as far as possible accurately reflected the meaning of the original.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It doesn't say anything yet amount waning immunity going forward but I agree this is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Leon said:

I think with the large number of cases, mutations are likely which could evade vaccines and/or be more dangerous as we saw with delta.

I think we're in trouble. I still hope I am wrong but I am no longer unworried as I was a few days ago.
    Forgive me but there are a lot of other pathogens out there that could evolve into something scary.
  • Options
    Taking back control never felt so good but this is casus belli isn't it?

URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU: Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

https://twitter.com/LeShuttle/status/1476245791027179524
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

This is mostly my fault, and I'm happy to agree that it isn't a particularly important difference in the grand scheme of things. However, I don't think it's just about the different underlying texts being used, simply because translation is not an exact science - there are a large number of Old Testament translations around which are translated directly from the Hebrew, and there are significant differences between them in English.
    Yes, I would agree with you there, for the reason I give above. There are just other reasons for major textual differences as well, which I thought was important to make clearer.

Between us we seem to have thoroughly confused poor old @JosiasJessop though, for which I hope he will forgive us.
  • Options

Leon said:

Yes, that is possible. On the other hand it looks like Omicron rises and falls steeply and quickly

Like many of us - you too, it seems - I veer between optimism and pessimism, but for the last week or so I have been very mildly optimistic (which is quite a long time for me)

I believe the virus is now, painfully, evolving into something less severe but still horribly infectious (and dangerous, if we get a new variant); perhaps more importantly, human society is adjusting. We are Learning to Live With It. Very few countries are now in total hard lockdown, unlike last winter

It is still fucking shit, and we have more shit to get through, but there is now a hint of a map showing the way out
  • Options
    edited December 2021

URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU: Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

I have a sense Macron would still be doing this kind of nonsense even if we were still in the EU.....blaming the roast beef is Macron go to criticism.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

I'll wait for an answer.
    Yes, it is a ridiculous and asinine comparison, and I'm surprised Topping is making it. He is rarely this dim

To invoke mountaineers you'd have to hypothesise a cerebral virus which was forcing people of all ages and sizes to do dangerous sports: causing millions of them to climb mountains, ski glaciers, abseil cliffs, try base jumping, do underwater caving etc, and in the face of this wave if risk taking the government has invented and distributed remarkably effective and FREELY AVAIILABLE new sports equipment - kit that keeps 95% of the users of the equipment out of danger, and out of hospital. Thus saving the health system from collapse

All, that is, except for the mountaineers who continue to insist on going mountaineering without the amazing new equipment because of "civil liberties" "I like the thrill" etc etc thus thousands of mountaineers are now filling the hospitals with their injuries and broken skulls and people with other ordinary illnesses are dying for lack of hospital care. Thanks to the fucking mountaineers

In THAT case it would be judicious to punish the mountaineers, make their lives much harder, maybe even refuse them treatment, until they use the fantastic new dangerous sports kit freely provided to all
    A couple of decades ago, a wonderful new piece of tech came along that promised to help people in trouble out on the hills. They were Personal Locator Beacons, which, if activated, send your location to a satellite and call emergency services.

They are used heavily by skiers. Except they were banned in the UK.

Fortunately the ban was overturned in 2012. If I was to do another long and remote walk, I'd get one.

https://www.go4awalk.com/the-bunkhouse/walking-news-and-discussions/walking-news-and-discussions.php?news=710223
    https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2008/01/21/should-we-be-able-to-use-distress-beacons-in-britains-hills
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Carnyx said:

Almost the right word:

"Visitors to the former home of Bloomsbury artist Vanessa Bell, Virginia Woolf's sister, had complained for years about the potholes. One warned in a review: 'You risk your car's suspension – and you need to wear a sports bra.'"

Yet using emergency funding for private property - it's like the potato famine walls in the Western Islands.
    Surely, the Mail has missed an angle here.

The people visiting Vanessa Bell/Duncan Grant's house are the very definition of the Anti-Mail.

Hampstead metrosexuals, who fear for the underwiring on their bras, as they travel on the bumpy road.

(I've been, it is rather lovely if you like Bloomsbury -- as I did when I was 12).
  • Options

RobD said:

It doesn't say anything yet amount waning immunity going forward but I agree this is a step in the right direction.
    I had thought T-cell response normally lasts longer anyway, since they are part of the memory of the immune system.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    See Nige is on the "Why oh why" warpath again.
    Specifically why do I need multiple vaccines against a cold?
    Cos if you're 6 months after a jab it's a heck of a lot more than a cold, as I know too well.
    Predicted this would happen.
    Also hearing employers wanting folk back at work pronto as it is "a mild cold".
    Predicted that too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, I would agree with you there, for the reason I give above. There are just other reasons for major textual differences as well, which I thought was important to make clearer.

Between us we seem to have thoroughly confused poor old @JosiasJessop though, for which I hope he will forgive us.
    I was a thoroughly peaceful and calm individual until I read the bible, after which I believe anyone committing the heinous sin of confusing me should BURN IN HADES forever. :)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Odd that, pretty sure that’s what I kept saying a few nights ago. Nice to have it confirmed. You gonna calm down a bit now?
  • Options

Odd that, pretty sure that’s what I kept saying a few nights ago. Nice to have it confirmed. You gonna calm down a bit now?
    I am still concerned about mutations and waning immunity but I agree this is a step in the right direction
  • Options

Leon said:

My hospital has installed a fixed multi-user holding ambulance to help unload. There were 25 ambulances on the forecourt tonight as I walked out. It looks pretty grim in terms of capacity.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

I'm always wary of those books that claim to be 'literal translations.' For example, I believe you can literally translate German, as it is a very literal language, but nobody who is not actually unhinged would try to 'literally' translate Welsh into English as it is so idiomatic it would come out as meaningless drivel.

To the credit of the NIV, they make it clear from the start that they didn't try a 'literal' translation: rather, they went to enormous efforts to ensure what they had written as far as possible accurately reflected the meaning of the original.
    Da liegt der Hund begraben.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

I was a thoroughly peaceful and calm individual until I read the bible, after which I believe anyone committing the heinous sin of confusing me should BURN IN HADES forever. :)
    Really? That's surprising, given Hades is Greek idea and in any case nothing to do with burning AFAICR.

The idea of hell and burning is chiefly from the Book of Revelation, and it was for a thousand ages rather than for ever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

My hospital has installed a fixed multi-user holding ambulance to help unload. There were 25 ambulances on the forecourt tonight as I walked out. It looks pretty grim in terms of capacity.
    Thanks Foxy. But am sorry to hear this as this does not sound good at all.

Thoughts from the parish?
  • Options
    New York state reports 67,090 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record, including 39,591 in New York City
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I suspect it reflects the number of Brits driving through France to holiday homes in Spain, and who have Spanish residency (as some friends of mine do), to visit for the holiday period or the winter. It’s hard to argue that’s essential travel so, if the intention is to prevent non-essential travel, it’s hard to argue with (you can of course argue that the restrictions themselves are pointless - but then so have been most of ours).
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Really? That's surprising, given Hades is Greek idea and in any case nothing to do with burning AFAICR.

The idea of hell and burning is chiefly from the Book of Revelation, and it was for a thousand ages rather than for ever.
    Hey, I didn't say I remembered what I read ...

It was as boring as f***. I didn't connect with it at all, but I was at uni, not sleeping well, and I'd read everything else.

The Quran frightened me, which is why I only read half of it.

Edit: or I could just say I was reading the Jessop translation of the bible, which clearly states 'Hades' and 'forever' ... ;)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

I am shocked, shocked that the German language is entirely literal.

The interplay between languages, cultures and philosophy is very interesting.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

I do like the gentle tones of a quiet theological discussion in the grassy back lawns of the internet.
    Celtic and Rangers are Edinburgh's two principal cricket teams. This is that level of misinformation.
  • Options
    The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

I'll wait for an answer.

A couple of decades ago, a wonderful new piece of tech came along that promised to help people in trouble out on the hills. They were Personal Locator Beacons, which, if activated, send your location to a satellite and call emergency services.

They are used heavily by skiers. Except they were banned in the UK.

Fortunately the ban was overturned in 2012. If I was to do another long and remote walk, I'd get one.

https://www.go4awalk.com/the-bunkhouse/walking-news-and-discussions/walking-news-and-discussions.php?news=710223
    https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2008/01/21/should-we-be-able-to-use-distress-beacons-in-britains-hills
    The aviation ELTs have saved literally hundreds of lives in small planes over the past decades, especially over water and hilly areas. Yes, there will be a few false positives, but anyone whose alarm just went off by accident can likely call the S&R centre.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I have a sense Macron would still be doing this kind of nonsense even if we were still in the EU.....blaming the roast beef is Macron go to criticism.
    There's a remarkable interview on Twitter (I might try and locate it when I'm not knackered from tax returning) where a French eurosceptic is interviewed by a French journalist about Franco-British relations. It's a serious interview, the pundit is not a lunatic

Basically, we are doomed to a Cold War with France for years if not decades. Why? Because the super-europhile French view Brexit as an Exocet aimed directly at the greatest project of post-war France - European Unification (under French leadership, begrudgingly shared with Berlin). The EU is all that France really cares about, foreign-policy-wise, as they see it as the only way to assert French power globally, now France is relatively so small, compared to the USA, China, and other rising powers like India

A "successful" Brexit is a mortal and perpetual peril to this ambition. If it is ever seen to happen it will encourage other more reluctant members of the EU tribe (Poland, Hungary, maybe Sweden and Denmark, even Greece and Italy) to copy the UK, thus members will topple away like dominoes and the EU will crumble.

Therefore Brexit cannot succeed, not only that it must be punished continuously, and Britain must be singled out for worse treatment than any other 3rd country, in perpetuity (because the French have no other idea how to handle Brexit, such it their hatred and fear of it)

Hence shit like this. Britain is deliberately being targetted by the Frogs, and this is going to go on for a long, long time, and we can expect no better from any other president - Macron is just more honest in his petulant anger than some

The UK needs to adjust to France as an overtly hostile power, for the long term. Once we accept this we can of course react, accordingly

• Options

The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different

Who said Delta is nothing to worry about?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Are you suggesting that remark is going to dog me?

'Leaves blowing in the wind' is another one I remember.

But I was talking about peculiar sentence structures rather than metaphors. For example, in Welsh 'I have a car' would literally translate as 'Dw'i'n gael car.' But that is meaningless. The correct translation is 'mae car 'da fi,' which in English would literally translate to 'there is a car with me.' Which means something altogether different.

Similarly 'sorry' is technically 'mae fflin galon 'da fi' or 'mae'n ddrwg calon da fi' which roughly translates to 'there is an unbearable pain with my heart.'* Now if you translated that into English, people might realise you were saying you felt sorry, or they might reach for a defibrillator and ring an ambulance.

*I should point out because that is one hell of a mouthful, most Welsh people just say 'sori.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Fires do feature fairly often in Matthew.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
  • Options

RobD said:

I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
    That's not the same thing, is it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people
    You keep making these massive sweeping generalisations.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I don't see how they're wrong, unless you wish to counter.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sorry, how was I wrong? I've never said Covid is "nothing to worry about". How one responds to the issue is more nuanced. There are many costs to lockdowns, and some have the legitimate view that those costs are not worth bearing.
  • Options

Which people @CorrectHorseBattery? I am heartened the reports from the front line, matching exactly what was seen in SA. Patients being admitted with Covid, not for Covid. Patients needing less ventilation. The bigger threat seems to be staff sickness and isolation.
  • Options
    Let's invent a new word for different iterations of the bible:

translavers: translations and versions of roughly the same thing.

Or perhaps not, as I've just realised some may think it means people who keep trans people in bondage ...
  • Options

Delta was nothing to worry about.

By the time Delta came about we'd already rolled out the vaccines and we came out of lockdown despite all the hysterical bullshit about the Johnson Variant.

Post vaccines Covid isn't something to worry about. Unvaccinated morons and social hypochondria are much bigger concerns.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

I have generally preferred not to make generalisations.

And with that, good night.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Leon said:

There's a remarkable interview on Twitter (I might try and locate it when I'm not knackered from tax returning) where a French eurosceptic is interviewed by a French journalist about Franco-British relations. It's a serious interview, the pundit is not a lunatic

Basically, we are doomed to a Cold War with France for years if not decades. Why? Because the super-europhile French view Brexit as an Exocet aimed directly at the greatest project of post-war France - European Unification (under French leadership, begrudgingly shared with Berlin). The EU is all that France really cares about, foreign-policy-wise, as they see it as the only way to assert French power globally, now France is relatively so small, compared to the USA, China, and other rising powers like India

A "successful" Brexit is a mortal and perpetual peril to this ambition. If it is ever seen to happen it will encourage other more reluctant members of the EU tribe (Poland, Hungary, maybe Sweden and Denmark, even Greece and Italy) to copy the UK, thus members will topple away like dominoes and the EU will crumble.

Therefore Brexit cannot succeed, not only that it must be punished continuously, and Britain must be singled out for worse treatment than any other 3rd country, in perpetuity (because the French have no other idea how to handle Brexit, such it their hatred and fear of it)

Hence shit like this. Britain is deliberately being targetted by the Frogs, and this is going to go on for a long, long time, and we can expect no better from any other president - Macron is just more honest in his petulant anger than some

The UK needs to adjust to France as an overtly hostile power, for the long term. Once we accept this we can of course react, accordingly

Good job there's no sign of a successful Brexit then. Phew! Stand down.
  • Options

By the time Delta came about we'd already rolled out the vaccines and we came out of lockdown despite all the hysterical bullshit about the Johnson Variant.

Post vaccines Covid isn't something to worry about. Unvaccinated morons and social hypochondria are much bigger concerns.
    The timeline is a bit off. Delta came along just prior to (or at the time of) the vaccine rollout.
  • Options

Your opinion is the one I literally value least, you've been consistently wrong on everything since this whole pandemic started. So I will ignore your views.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

I do like the gentle tones of a quiet theological discussion in the grassy back lawns of the internet.
    Celtic and Rangers are Edinburgh's two principal cricket teams. This is that level of misinformation.
    Quite, forgetting Partick Thistle like that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Are you suggesting that remark is going to dog me?

'Leaves blowing in the wind' is another one I remember.

But I was talking about peculiar sentence structures rather than metaphors. For example, in Welsh 'I have a car' would literally translate as 'Dw'i'n gael car.' But that is meaningless. The correct translation is 'mae car 'da fi,' which in English would literally translate to 'there is a car with me.' Which means something altogether different.

Similarly 'sorry' is technically 'mae fflin galon 'da fi' or 'mae'n ddrwg calon da fi' which roughly translates to 'there is an unbearable pain with my heart.'* Now if you translated that into English, people might realise you were saying you felt sorry, or they might reach for a defibrillator and ring an ambulance.

*I should point out because that is one hell of a mouthful, most Welsh people just say 'sori.'
    How do you say: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated." in Welsh?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm
  • Options
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes they are. Lots of people on here a) certainly didn't say Delta was nothing to worry about and b) are now more relaxed about Omicron...but there is also lots of nuance within that e.g. you can be unconcerned on a personal level, because they have looked at the data and assessed the risk, but that doesn't mean they have zero concern about the wider situation.

Before we had vaccines, I was very much of the opinion to have tougher rather than lack restrictions, now I am much more on the other side. However, that isn't binary, in the way you continue to keep phrasing these statements.
  • Options

RobD said:

I don’t recall locking down for delta? Last U.K. lockdown was for alpha aka cockney Covid aka Kent variant. And that ended in stages, but definitely by July 2021.
  • Options

RobD said:

We didn't.

We didn't have one for Delta. We had one for Alpha.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The timeline is a bit off. Delta came along just prior to (or at the time of) the vaccine rollout.
    @turbotubbs' post made me realise that I've mixed up my variants...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes they are. Lots of people a) certainly didn't say Delta was nothing to worry about and b) are now more relaxed about Omicron...but there is also lots of nuance e.g. you can be unconcerned on a personal level, because they have looked at the data and assessed the risk, but that doesn't mean they have zero concern about the wider situation.
    So who here said we needed a lockdown for Delta and now thinks we don't need to do anything for Omicron.

I'm not seeing anyone. Everyone who was cautious before is cautious now and everyone who was "herd immunity happened, lockdowns don't work" still thinks we need to do nothing.

It is people who have a different view for Omicron, that I am interested in
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think that’s wrong. Are you thinking of alpha?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

I am shocked, shocked that the German language is entirely literal.

The interplay between languages, cultures and philosophy is very interesting.
    Superbly literal is German. I do rather like Fledermaus and handschuhe. German compound words are a real pleasure. There is a twitter site for them...

https://twitter.com/longgermanwords?t=SAkiSlJPZo1JqUaTXp_SUw&s=09
  • Options
    Alpha, my apologies. Not Delta
  • Options

RobD said:

I think that’s wrong. Are you thinking of alpha?
    Yep. I had a moment.
  • Options
    Chris Woakes has given his backing to Joe Root but not to Chris Silverwood after England surrendered the Ashes at the MCG.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

One very snowy day a friend of mine met an ill-equipped and lost pair in the Lairig Ghru [trhough valley in the Cairngorm Hills]. He took them down to safety - at the cost of going well out of his way. But ...
    I've helped in similar circumstances. The walkers from abroad had been advised by tourist information in Aviemore that the walk from Glenmore to Braemar was a good one.

Shame there were only 6 hours of daylight and it was going down to -8c. They were carrying their guitars! I got them from Corrour bothy to Derry lodge.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, that is possible. On the other hand it looks like Omicron rises and falls steeply and quickly

Like many of us - you too, it seems - I veer between optimism and pessimism, but for the last week or so I have been very mildly optimistic (which is quite a long time for me)

I believe the virus is now, painfully, evolving into something less severe but still horribly infectious (and dangerous, if we get a new variant); perhaps more importantly, human society is adjusting. We are Learning to Live With It. Very few countries are now in total hard lockdown, unlike last winter

It is still fucking shit, and we have more shit to get through, but there is now a hint of a map showing the way out
    I thought we had the route out when the vaccines were developed. Proved not to be so simples, sadly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I have generally preferred not to make generalisations.

And with that, good night.
    But the French elite are so paranoid about Brexit, so allergic to it and fearful of it, they set a low bar for its success. Britain surviving intact and not starving to death will probably seem quite successful to them. given their direful predictions of total British implosion.

Then the next time the EU does something widely unpopular, eurosceptics across the continent will start to look longingly at independent London.

This is the great French fear. By this guy's account it does stalk their nightmares.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not in the UK it didn't.

Check the share of UK cases that were Delta and the date that Delta strain took over. We never introduced even a single restriction for Delta, they were introduced for Alpha (then known as the Kent or Cockney or UK variant).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Just watched Don’t look up. Deeply depressing yet very funny. Recommend it highly.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

Not in the UK it didn't.

Check the share of UK cases that were Delta and the date that Delta strain took over. We never introduced even a single restriction for Delta, they were introduced for Alpha (then known as the Kent or Cockney or UK variant).
    My mistake. Given the context of @CorrectHorseBattery's post I thought he was referring to delta as the variant at the time of the lockdown in winter 2020.
  • Options
    Cockney covid? Need a trigger warning on that one.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Thanks Foxy. But am sorry to hear this as this does not sound good at all.

Thoughts from the parish?
    Quiet clinic this morning, but got busier as the day went on. Tomorrow looks bad as my registrar is off. Certain key staff off. Number of covid inpatients up 47% on last week. ICU about the same though. Will keep plodding on...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Evening all:

My son has Covid.

He's 11 and vaxxed (albeit with a pediatric dose). No-one else in the family has tested positive, and we're all fully vaxxed.

His symptoms are cold like with a sore throat.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

I've helped in similar circumstances. The walkers from abroad had been advised by tourist information in Aviemore that the walk from Glenmore to Braemar was a good one.

Shame there were only 6 hours of daylight and it was going down to -8c. They were carrying their guitars! I got them from Corrour bothy to Derry lodge.
    I haven’t done the Lairig Ghru for more than 15 years now. It a special route but only for those properly equipped, especially in winter.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evening all:

My son has Covid.

He's 11 and vaxxed (albeit with a pediatric dose). No-one else in the family has tested positive, and we're all fully vaxxed.

I hope he (and all of you) are okay.

I'm resigned to getting the bu**er. But I want it as late as possible, and preferably in the New Year, so I can complete my year of running... ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evening all:

My son has Covid.

Best of British. I hear "hot broth" is highly efficacious
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Not in the UK it didn't.

My mistake. Given the context of @CorrectHorseBattery's post I thought he was referring to delta as the variant at the time of the lockdown in winter 2020.
    Indeed the Winter 2020 Alpha variant was the bad one and it also predated vaccines so people were not saying it was nothing to worry about.

Indeed I at the time was entirely accepting of lockdown with the aim of getting the vaccine rolled out.

If he meant Alpha instead of Delta then I don't know to whom @CorrectHorseBattery is referring for saying that Alpha was no concern. Quite the opposite most of us were quite concerned that the vaccines get rolled out ASAP.

Any comparison of pre vaccine to post vaccine situations is completely absurd.
This discussion has been closed.