Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Red Wall seems to have swung most against Boris – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

The only person that is allowed to vote Tory is @HYUFD.

He’s going to be shocked when learns I’ve voted Tory before

I am shamed to have to admit I have never voted Labour before after what you have said about my lack of ideological partisanship. That said I do perhaps redeem myself by once having been a member of Plaid Cymru back in the early 80s as the PC club in Cardiff was the only place you could get a drink on a Sunday evening. I have also voted both Green and LD in my dim and distant past at a local level.
    I once voted Plaid in a straight PC vs Labour contest while I was at college. I had planned to vote Labour, despite being mates with one of the more prominent Plaid members there, but then the night before the poll, the Labour candidate drove his car into the quad around 11pm and blasted out calls to vote for him on his loudspeaker.

Of course, looking back, that could have been a dirty trick by Plaid, but it would have definitely been something the Labour candidate, who was known for his eccentricity, might have thought was a good idea at the time.
    Believe it or not I once also voted Plaid. When I was at Aberystwyth there were not enough Tory candidates for all the town council posts and as I always use all my votes I voted for a Plaid candidate who had canvassed me
    Then you must resign the Tory Party immediately, you are not a true Tory voter
    That does rather destroy his persistent denial of the legitimacy of independence for Scotland, if he voted for Welsh independence. I mean, Henry VIII owned the bloody place.
    I didn't vote for Welsh independence, all the other votes I cast were for Tories and the only candidates left were Plaid.

It was for town council, not even Senedd let alone Westminster (in which case I would not have voted for Plaid at all)
    So when you voted Tory, that wasn't a vote for Brexit?
    It was as it was for Westminster, a Tory vote for council however would not have been but more for low council tax and well run local services
    What a load of nonsense
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1474065585495588869

BREAKING: People with Omicron are significantly less likely to develop severe symptoms, but the effects of the booster vaccine wane after 10 weeks, according to new analysis by the UK Health Security Agency.

That's a bit of an arse as it is nearly twelve weeks since I received my booster.
    "wane" or "begin to wane"?

Also, we have been here time and time - what about the T-cells? Yes immunity wanes but the system has learnt and is ready to spring back to life when needed.

But based on past procedure, we are now looking at a Spring booster campaign. Starting again just as we finished the current boosters.

Will GPs ever get back to their day job?
    Yes they will - if Covid ends up requiring a rolling cycle of inoculations for some years then the DHSC will eventually be obliged to create an immunisation directorate with its own dedicated staff to administer them. Fast forward a couple of years and there might well be a permanent chain of vaccination centres all over the country - dealing, perhaps, with flu jabs and childhood immunisation as well as Covid.

Whether or not this would please GPs is unclear. On the one hand, it would relieve them of all the burden of deal with jabs. On the other hand, it would also relieve them of the income.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

I am shamed to have to admit I have never voted Labour before after what you have said about my lack of ideological partisanship. That said I do perhaps redeem myself by once having been a member of Plaid Cymru back in the early 80s as the PC club in Cardiff was the only place you could get a drink on a Sunday evening. I have also voted both Green and LD in my dim and distant past at a local level.
    I once voted Plaid in a straight PC vs Labour contest while I was at college. I had planned to vote Labour, despite being mates with one of the more prominent Plaid members there, but then the night before the poll, the Labour candidate drove his car into the quad around 11pm and blasted out calls to vote for him on his loudspeaker.

Of course, looking back, that could have been a dirty trick by Plaid, but it would have definitely been something the Labour candidate, who was known for his eccentricity, might have thought was a good idea at the time.
    Believe it or not I once also voted Plaid. When I was at Aberystwyth there were not enough Tory candidates for all the town council posts and as I always use all my votes I voted for a Plaid candidate who had canvassed me
    That does rather destroy his persistent denial of the legitimacy of independence for Scotland, if he voted for Welsh independence. I mean, Henry VIII owned the bloody place.
    I didn't vote for Welsh independence, all the other votes I cast were for Tories and the only candidates left were Plaid.

It was for town council, not even Senedd let alone Westminster (in which case I would not have voted for Plaid at all)
    you seem a nice guy but it aint pretty badgering others how they vote
  • Options
    They believe the protection against serious disease will hold up a lot longer.

All this data is based on tiny sample sizes as well. The hospitalisation was based on 132 people...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

It was as it was for Westminster, a Tory vote for council however would not have been but more for low council tax and well run local services
    What a load of nonsense
    No, Wandsworth for example voted strongly Remain and has 3 Labour MPs but it still has a Tory run council.

Hampstead too has Tory councillors despite being heavy Remain and with a Labour MP
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

What am I missing here? HYUFD is a MUDBLOOD? 😮
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

you seem a nice guy but it aint pretty badgering others how they vote
    I was pointing out his hypocrisy, I wasn't badgering him about why he votes
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

Loved this in The Guardian’s list of the year’s 50 best tv shows:

Blair and Brown: The New Labour Revolution
    (BBC Two)

… It is an inside job, with Labour veterans as unreliable narrators. Brown’s speechwriter Douglas Alexander even says: “They were literally the Lennon and McCartney of British politics.” Rubbish. They were more like Wham!, with no George Michael and two Andrew Ridgeleys.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/dec/03/the-50-best-tv-shows-of-2021

The best political programme of the last decade IMHO
    That surely has to be Cumberbatch's Brexit. Took the piss out of everybody quite brilliantly.
    For me the best political history programme of the last decade (it was made in 1998 but I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago) was the Secret History on the Winter of Discontent. Sheds a lot of light on the episode which determined the fate of British politics, economics and society for at least a decade to come, and still influences it to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWsUXQrLYw
    I had not seen the documentary, and I was quite young at the time of the event.

But it reminds me how correct Mrs Thatcher was to reset the culture of Trades Unions, and especially pickets.

The Workers' Committee in the blockaded city of Hull deciding who was going to be allowed to have their deliveries, when the Government backed down from sending the army in to keep things moving, was striking. As was the loss of control by Trade Union leaders.

Can anyone identify this (I think) London Square? I say London because there would be no need for journos to go further.

Red Lion?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

I have only quickly scan read the SPI statement, but to my layman's eyes, they appear to be sticking to their guns.

One assumption seems to be no reduction in hospital stay. In SA it’s much reduced.
    Time will tell.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

He's voted Plaid yet calls people all the time "not Tories" if they've ever voted any other way
  • Options

UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

All together now 🏴‍☠️ Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Monolith inspired cocktail of the day - Loco Unicorn.

https://mixthatdrink.com/loco-unicorn-loconut-cocktail/
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    pigeon said:

"50% to 70% less likely to be admitted to hospital"

Lots of caveats about large numbers of cases still putting pressure on hospitals, not much data on what it does in the elderly, and so on - but nonetheless very encouraging. OTOH...

Frontline doctors have issued desperate pleas for more people to get vaccinated after reporting that in some hospitals all new intensive care Covid patients have not had jabs.

An estimated 5 million people, or 10% of the eligible population, have not had been inoculated, and it is this group who are seemingly draining the most resources from overstretched hospitals, experts say.

The problem is worst in parts of London, but Cambridge’s Royal Papworth hospital said more than 80% of its Covid patients requiring the most care were unjabbed.

Will Ricketts, a consultant chest physician at the Royal London hospital, tweeted on Wednesday: “Every new respiratory admission with Covid since Friday has been unvaccinated.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/22/help-us-to-help-you-doctors-in-england-make-pleas-to-unvaccinated

The Government is watching the situation in London like a hawk, using it (according to several reports) to gauge the likely impact on the remainder of the country, and virtually all the seriously ill Covid patients in London are unvaccinated. Make no mistake, if more restrictions are coming after Boxing Day, it'll be entirely down to the refusers. All their fault.
    There is evidence that wall to wall vaccination is no guarantee of freedom, sadly. Would it were so.

As I posted the other day, Gibraltar, one of the most vaccinated place on earth, cancelled Christmas a few days ago. The restrictions are pretty tight.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

He's voted Plaid yet calls people all the time "not Tories" if they've ever voted any other way
    One rule for me and another for absolutely everyone else.

He's simply following the example of his beloved leader, Boris.

But I'm shocked HYUFD has voted for any party other than the Tories. He is to me the prime example of the type of voter who will vote for anyone with a Blue (or Red) Rosette.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1473971684285636608

For which OTHER party could current Labour voters see themselves voting?

None: 31%
    Liberal Democrat: 30%
    Green: 20%
    Conservative: 8%
    Independent: 6%
    Don't know: 9%

Certainly gives fire to the idea of tactical voting

I'm surprised by this as I would have expected the Greens to lead. But I suppsoe there is a difference between Labour voters and Labour members.

Tactical voting does look to be on. Let's make sure this time it leads to an actual electoral system where tactical voting is no longer needed because everyone's vote has equal relevance. I find it thoroughly boring living in a constituency with a 30k+ Labour majority where my sweet little Lib Dem vote will never count for anything.
  • Options
    How are you @MoonRabbit?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    Do we not need a thread by @HYUFD on prospects for Welsh independence.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited December 2021
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

DavidL said:

(BBC Two)

… It is an inside job, with Labour veterans as unreliable narrators. Brown’s speechwriter Douglas Alexander even says: “They were literally the Lennon and McCartney of British politics.” Rubbish. They were more like Wham!, with no George Michael and two Andrew Ridgeleys.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/dec/03/the-50-best-tv-shows-of-2021

That surely has to be Cumberbatch's Brexit. Took the piss out of everybody quite brilliantly.
    For me the best political history programme of the last decade (it was made in 1998 but I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago) was the Secret History on the Winter of Discontent. Sheds a lot of light on the episode which determined the fate of British politics, economics and society for at least a decade to come, and still influences it to this day.

I had not seen the documentary, and I was quite young at the time of the event.

But it reminds me how correct Mrs Thatcher was to reset the culture of Trades Unions, and especially pickets.

The Workers' Committee in the blockaded city of Hull deciding who was going to be allowed to have their deliveries, when the Government backed down from sending the army in to keep things moving, was striking. As was the loss of control by Trade Union leaders.

Can anyone identify this (I think) London Square? I say London because there would be no need for journos to go further.

That's Leicester Square looking north towards where Euan Blair was found pissed.
  • Options
    How are you @TOPPING?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    MISTY said:

pigeon said:

Lots of caveats about large numbers of cases still putting pressure on hospitals, not much data on what it does in the elderly, and so on - but nonetheless very encouraging. OTOH...

Frontline doctors have issued desperate pleas for more people to get vaccinated after reporting that in some hospitals all new intensive care Covid patients have not had jabs.

An estimated 5 million people, or 10% of the eligible population, have not had been inoculated, and it is this group who are seemingly draining the most resources from overstretched hospitals, experts say.

The problem is worst in parts of London, but Cambridge’s Royal Papworth hospital said more than 80% of its Covid patients requiring the most care were unjabbed.

Will Ricketts, a consultant chest physician at the Royal London hospital, tweeted on Wednesday: “Every new respiratory admission with Covid since Friday has been unvaccinated.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/22/help-us-to-help-you-doctors-in-england-make-pleas-to-unvaccinated

The Government is watching the situation in London like a hawk, using it (according to several reports) to gauge the likely impact on the remainder of the country, and virtually all the seriously ill Covid patients in London are unvaccinated. Make no mistake, if more restrictions are coming after Boxing Day, it'll be entirely down to the refusers. All their fault.
    There is evidence that wall to wall vaccination is no guarantee of freedom, sadly. Would it were so.

As I posted the other day, Gibraltar, one of the most vaccinated place on earth, cancelled Christmas a few days ago. The restrictions are pretty tight.

There is only one way out of this. Acceptance of endemicity.

We need to remove restrictions and live with it. Another mate today has tested positive. A slight sniffle. No more.
  • Options

Seems to me that UK Gov should just announce quarterly boosters for the next however long and that should be enough going forward

The only problem with that is there will be bugger all GP services etc. In order to keep constantly running a booster program we are going to have to keep loads of people from their day to day jobs.
    Do the opposite. Ban GPs from getting involved so they can get back to GP-ing, and pay the supermarkets and chemists enough to have capacity for 3 jabs per year. It is a waste of GP skill to be doing the jabbing.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

🙄 it’s like Big John knowler Getting rushed into hospital with stomach cramps, and they discover he’s wearing Keir Starmer underpants.
  • Options

How are you @TOPPING?

Very well thanks Horse. You too as well have you managed to test negative and get out?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8193085/nicola-sturgeon-man-arrested-hogmanay-party-police/

Expect more of this. There have been whispers about a big party outside Bute House, too.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

How are you @TOPPING?

Very well thanks Horse. You too as well have you managed to test negative and get out?
    Negative on day 6 and 7 with the lateral flow so yes out now.

PCR came in finally and was positive but this makes no difference now
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,690
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

One rule for me and another for absolutely everyone else.

He's simply following the example of his beloved leader, Boris.

But I'm shocked HYUFD has voted for any party other than the Tories. He is to me the prime example of the type of voter who will vote for anyone with a Blue (or Red) Rosette.
    I've voted for all the main parties at one time or another, including the Greens at one of the Euro elections.
  • Options
    Went for my first run back today and goodness me you lose a lot of fitness in 10 days.

Alas I've been getting slower anyway as I am also bulking so I am slightly at odds anyway
  • Options

Went for my first run back today and goodness me you lose a lot of fitness in 10 days.

Alas I've been getting slower anyway as I am also bulking so I am slightly at odds anyway

At least you are back out there. Well done!
  • Options

💻Three-quarters want to keep working from home after Covid pandemic.

⚫️New research reveals that only 17 per cent would prefer to spend most of their working time in workplaces

#Thread 👇

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1474062260188454920

This would be catastrophic for city centre businesses. Is it that people want the option of working from home, or that they actually want to work from home most/all of the time?
  • Options

Keep at it you'll be back in the swing before you know it.
  • Options

Seems to me that UK Gov should just announce quarterly boosters for the next however long and that should be enough going forward

The only problem with that is there will be bugger all GP services etc. In order to keep constantly running a booster program we are going to have to keep loads of people from their day to day jobs.
    Do the opposite. Ban GPs from getting involved so they can get back to GP-ing, and pay the supermarkets and chemists enough to have capacity for 3 jabs per year. It is a waste of GP skill to be doing the jabbing.
    Do away with the expensive nonsense of 6-monthly dental check-ups and have 6-monthly jabs instead.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Keep at it you'll be back in the swing before you know it.
    I am sure I will - although I will be worse off whilst I am bulking. Luckily bulking should be finished in a month or two then running can have my full focus again
  • Options

Do away with the expensive nonsense of 6-monthly dental check-ups and have 6-monthly jabs instead.
    I didn't have a dentist checkup for almost two years because of COVID and guess what...my teeth are fine
  • Options

How are you @MoonRabbit?

Tipsy. Thank you. Good to hear you are shaking off lurgy 🙂

HYUFD this dirty martini is for you

https://www.therarewelshbit.com/dirty-martini-cardiff-red-dragon-cocktail/

🍹cheers
  • Options

I didn't have a dentist checkup for almost two years because of COVID and guess what...my teeth are fine
    I’ve been on two year interval for 15 years now. I have no fillings, and the dentist thought it more appropriate. Slightly alarming as you can only book appointments 18 months ahead, but the systems worked so far...
  • Options

I’ve been on two year interval for 15 years now. I have no fillings, and the dentist thought it more appropriate. Slightly alarming as you can only book appointments 18 months ahead, but the systems worked so far...
    What a good dentist, mine is insistent on 6 monthly dentist + hygienist!
  • Options
    BUPA have been utterly useless on the covering of my counselling, they refused to cover it as they don't recognise the person I get it from. I went because my GP recommended it, which is what people will do.

So I am off to AVIVA
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,582
    edited December 2021
    Eabhal said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8193085/nicola-sturgeon-man-arrested-hogmanay-party-police/

Expect more of this. There have been whispers about a big party outside Bute House, too.

Communications Act? It's rare for that to be used for an event organiser on FB. Though I think I can recall a couple before.

A MAN has been arrested and charged for allegedly organising a Hogmanay party on Nicola Sturgeon’s street.

The 33-year-old was nicked yesterday under the Communications Act 2003 after allegedly creating a Facebook event titled “NYE street party @ sturgeons house”.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Just watch the Trump clip. He's going to run, and he's going to win.

He has far, far more energy than Biden.

Don't think US democracy would survive another Trump term.
    Likewise.

He will run. He will beat a clearly past it but stubborn Biden.

And then it's over. 200-odd years of democracy. It's done.

Some states will leave the union when he refuses to stand down after end of second term is my guess. It will not be peaceful.

I don't understand this point of view. If Trump wins an election fairly under the rules, how does that pose a problem for democracy? Do you expect him to abolish elections.
  • Options

Dentists do eight years training. Vaxxing takes a days training then a bit of supervision afterwards. Let the dentists dent.

https://www.hud.ac.uk/news/2021/january/covid-vaccine-jab-volunteer-training/
  • Options
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

Communications Act? It's rare for that to be used for an event.

A MAN has been arrested and charged for allegedly organising a Hogmanay party on Nicola Sturgeon’s street.

The 33-year-old was nicked yesterday under the Communications Act 2003 after allegedly creating a Facebook event titled “NYE street party @ sturgeons house”.
    Yes, it is sharing her personal address, rather than say Bute House.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

BREAKING: People with Omicron are significantly less likely to develop severe symptoms, but the effects of the booster vaccine wane after 10 weeks, according to new analysis by the UK Health Security Agency.

We are going to be injecting people forever at this rate.
    I think so - but that's got to be better than restrictions
    If its an alternative I would agree. We need to get to the point that you stay at home only if you are actually ill, not just because you are positive. Of course, such a world gets more problematic for the unvaxxed but, frankly, tough sh1t.
    Philip would say we should go out and infect people but I agree, WFH if you are ill.
    I for one agree completely with David.

If you're actually ill then stay home and recuperate if you need to do so. Though that should be at your own judgement no different to any other illnesses.

But if you're positive yet not ill, eg asymptomatic then yes you should live your life as normal.

Not sure where you link infecting others in with that. The asymptomatic positive, and those who don't know they're positive, and plenty of others can "infect" others. Getting infected with lurgies is something that happens to people every day.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited December 2021

Competition News:

The prize for best estimate of the highest daily Booster count will be a copy of The Prime Ministers by Iain Dale, signed by the author with a dedication to the competition winner.

https://www.politicos.co.uk/products/the-prime-ministers

The stewards have looked at the issue of entrants changing their identity mid-competition and have decided that, so long as the intention is not to defraud the competition, entries will roll over from old ID to new.

Boosters reported today: 840,038
    Highest Boosters to date: 968,665 (22/12)
    Nearest estimate: @Northern_Al 963,451
    Next nearest: @MattW (986,000)

I've just returned home to see this. Looking good for me provided the downward path continues. If I win, it may be the first book by a Tory to enter my house (apart from Blair's autobiography, of course :). I shall enjoy it. (Actually, scratch that - I've got Alan Clark's diaries somewhere).

However, I await the judgement of the plethora of expert modellers on here to confirm that the boosters may not get a further boost between now and the New Year. Or I guess I could just wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

Has the U.K. got rid of “droit de suite” or the necessity to apply VAT to renovations yet?

They were about the only thing that annoyed me about cumbersome EU regulation.

Frustratingly we set up our own artist resale right scheme. Madness. I think keeping it was in the withdrawal treaty too.

VAT is now an entirely domestic tax, however, and we can do with it what we like.
    Yep. Waiting for the govt to zero rate VAT on domestic fuel supplies.
    That’s definitely coming in the new year, before the local elections.

They now can’t afford not to do it, especially given that Putin seems hell-bent on choking the European gas supply.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,774
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

Some states will leave the union when he refuses to stand down after end of second term is my guess. It will not be peaceful.

I don't understand this point of view. If Trump wins an election fairly under the rules, how does that pose a problem for democracy? Do you expect him to abolish elections.
    Not abolish but Putinise them. And he probably won't win 24 fairly under the rules, although contrary to the market I do expect he will probably win.
  • Options

BUPA have been utterly useless on the covering of my counselling, they refused to cover it as they don't recognise the person I get it from. I went because my GP recommended it, which is what people will do.

So I am off to AVIVA

You get Councilling covered under certain Healthcare Cash Plans:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/healthcare-cash-plans/
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Some unlucky people suffered terribly when dentists were completely out of commission, I think. Seems a long time ago now.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Snowdonia isn't really tank country, is it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

How are you @MoonRabbit?

🍹cheers
    A toy drink. But Brecon Botanicals Welsh gin is very good.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    Guess what football fans think, about stadia being closed to fans:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10339587/Now-Sturgeon-loses-terraces-Anger-boils-football-matches-Scotland.html

“A crowd of young supporters at Hibernian v Aberdeen chanted 'Sturgeon, get tae f***' while others held a banner saying 'open your homes for COP26, closed doors for fans, f*** SNP' - a reference to the climate change conference which some have blamed for fuelling cases.”
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    Scott_xP said:

Taz said:

I think he thing with Truss is many have forgotten her remainer credentials due to her current trajectory.

Janet McCollum, CEO of Moy Park Northern Ireland's biggest employer, clear EU Single Market vital for their business https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/730760481049350144/photo/1

I don't hold Liz Truss' previous support for Remain against her. I have other issues with her, but not that.

Broadly, anyone sensible and paying attention supported Remain. I would prefer my politicians to be the sort that are sensible and paying attention, and not to restrict ourselves entirely to the other kind.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Andy_JS said:

💻Three-quarters want to keep working from home after Covid pandemic.

⚫️New research reveals that only 17 per cent would prefer to spend most of their working time in workplaces

#Thread 👇

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1474062260188454920

This would be catastrophic for city centre businesses. Is it that people want the option of working from home, or that they actually want to work from home most/all of the time?
    I think it varies. My fiancee has been WFH for most of the time since March 2020. She's very keen to WFH full time as it saves her two hours a day and a small fortune in travel costs. At one point she was made to go back in the office three days a week - she'd often sit at a desk in the office and work all day with a single work interaction in person, which seemed very pointless.

She's just been given the OK to WFH permanently when we marry, which is pretty much a win all round (especially as she's on a Bristol wage but will be moving up to somewhere far cheaper) - but it took the intervention of someone very senior in her firm for this to happen - I teHR weren't keen to set a precedent.

Some of her colleagues hate full time WFH as they find the social isolation too big a deal, and have been in the office most days when it's allowed.

It's all very academic to me - I make real stuff, so have to be there to do stuff with it.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    On topic, this is why I don't think Sunak or Truss will become the next leader - they won't cut it in the RW seats and the newly elected MPs know that. Same goes for the likes of Hunt etc. In fact, I think, given the change in the Conservative MP base from the last election from leader, there will be a strong demand for a leader whose background is more aligned to RW voters.

I'm loath to admit this as I realise PB will laugh at my stupidity but I've put a few quid on at 100/1 for both McVey and Dorries as next leader. McVey because, if she decides to stand again, can credibly point to be a major driver behind Red Wall Conservatism and also because she has consistently voted against lockdown measures, which will gain her a base amongst the MPs. Dorries because she is a pitbull when it comes to the cultural stuff and, if she gets the DCMS portfolio right, will be seen as someone who takes the fight to Labour.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    MISTY said:

Some unlucky people suffered terribly when dentists were completely out of commission, I think. Seems a long time ago now.

Broke my glasses in lockdown. That was a bit shit
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Sandpit said:

Guess what football fans think, about stadia being closed to fans:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10339587/Now-Sturgeon-loses-terraces-Anger-boils-football-matches-Scotland.html

“A crowd of young supporters at Hibernian v Aberdeen chanted 'Sturgeon, get tae f***' while others held a banner saying 'open your homes for COP26, closed doors for fans, f*** SNP' - a reference to the climate change conference which some have blamed for fuelling cases.”

This, oddly, is not getting the publicity the darts fans havjng a pop at Boris got. Odd that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

How are you @MoonRabbit?

🍹cheers
    A toy drink. But Brecon Botanicals Welsh gin is very good.
    Where’s Big G? Don’t want him to miss out

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

More likely Biden does not run again and Buttigieg narrowly wins.

Trump may not even run again but if Biden or Harris are the candidates again he has a chance.

He could not run for a third term however even if he wins again as the constitution forbids it, he unlikely would have the 2/3 majority in Congress to overturn it and the SC would uphold the Constitution even if it interprets it in a conservative way.

Only way he could do it is if the army were on side, which they were not for him in January 2020
    I admire your confidence that Trump, and more specifically the dark forces around him in GOP, will not have learnt how to get it 'right' next time to bypass constitution and rig a third term.
    It takes not only 2/3 of each house of Congress but 3/4 of the states to pass a constitutional amendment though.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    edited December 2021

50-70% being the confidence/credible interval.

But this figure in itself seems pretty meaningless. They excluded known reinfections, so it's presumably meant to be a stab at estimating the intrinsic severity of Omicron versus Delta, excluding the fact that a much larger percentage of those infected with Omicron have some kind of immunity. But they acknowledge that known reinfections will be a "a substantial underestimate".

The Imperial College study did attempt to allow for unidentified reinfections, and came up with only about a 25% reduction in hospital stays of at least one night.

Reportedly SAGE advises that the rate of hospitalisation would need to be 90% lower in order to avoid exceeding the previous peak - not 50-70% and not 25%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

It is a problem for democracy because he, like other fascists before him, only believes in elections if they deliver victories to people like him. it is a weakness of the system which there is no easy answer
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Long column of Challengers down the Llanberis pass? Close quarters shootout in the streets of Portmerion? Tank traffic jam at Capel Curig? I can see it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

On the contrary. Light tanks would do very well there. As an earlier generation of colonialists showed on a different [North-]Western Frontier.

https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1966-11-32-173
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We are going to be injecting people forever at this rate.
    I think so - but that's got to be better than restrictions
    If its an alternative I would agree. We need to get to the point that you stay at home only if you are actually ill, not just because you are positive. Of course, such a world gets more problematic for the unvaxxed but, frankly, tough sh1t.
    Philip would say we should go out and infect people but I agree, WFH if you are ill.
    I for one agree completely with David.

If you're actually ill then stay home and recuperate if you need to do so. Though that should be at your own judgement no different to any other illnesses.

But if you're positive yet not ill, eg asymptomatic then yes you should live your life as normal.

Not sure where you link infecting others in with that. The asymptomatic positive, and those who don't know they're positive, and plenty of others can "infect" others. Getting infected with lurgies is something that happens to people every day.
    "infect" inj inverted commas - have you a new theory of disease? Miasma? Planetary alighments?

What's your position on Typhoid Mary? She was completely asymptomatic positive and wanted to be left to get on with her life as a cook.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

It is a problem for democracy because he, like other fascists before him, only believes in elections if they deliver victories to people like him. it is a weakness of the system which there is no easy answer
    Then have the courage of your convictions and ban him (or the GOP) as a threat to democracy as the Germans did with the Nazi party post-1945. If you truly believe what you state, that is the logical next step - just be open about it.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,961
    MrEd said:

On topic, this is why I don't think Sunak or Truss will become the next leader - they won't cut it in the RW seats and the newly elected MPs know that. Same goes for the likes of Hunt etc. In fact, I think, given the change in the Conservative MP base from the last election from leader, there will be a strong demand for a leader whose background is more aligned to RW voters.

I'm loath to admit this as I realise PB will laugh at my stupidity but I've put a few quid on at 100/1 for both McVey and Dorries as next leader. McVey because, if she decides to stand again, can credibly point to be a major driver behind Red Wall Conservatism and also because she has consistently voted against lockdown measures, which will gain her a base amongst the MPs. Dorries because she is a pitbull when it comes to the cultural stuff and, if she gets the DCMS portfolio right, will be seen as someone who takes the fight to Labour.

I get your thought process but disagree with it based on nothing more than British class bollocks.

McVey and Dorries will put off a lot of southern Tories because they are scallies. A lot of southern Tories would rather vote Labour and have nice middle class boy they understand but look down on than a scouse PM.

Whereas red wall voters could accept Sunak - the proles like a wealthy public school leader. He’s also got a Northern seat so whilst it’s a wealthy seat it helps perception.

He also seems (whether true or not) to be in touch with people but I think too many people would see Dories and McV as a bit hectoring (and no it’s not because they are strong women but because they are a bit hectoring in style unlike Rishi Smoothy).

This is likely to be an absolute load of bollocks but I’m going with it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

On the contrary. Light tanks would do very well there. As an earlier generation of colonialists showed on a different [North-]Western Frontier.

I guess you are referring to the Black Watch or perhaps other Scottish regiments who earned so many battle honours there?
  • Options
    Hey @MrEd! :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Still a long way to go with self driving cars......doesn't want to turn left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eaOo-2eJM
  • Options
    MattW said:

So I am off to AVIVA

You get Councilling covered under certain Healthcare Cash Plans:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/healthcare-cash-plans/
    Pre-existing now so they won't cover it
  • Options
    boulay said:

MrEd said:

I get your thought process but disagree with it based on nothing more than British class bollocks.

McVey and Dorries will put off a lot of southern Tories because they are scallies. A lot of southern Tories would rather vote Labour and have nice middle class boy they understand but look down on than a scouse PM.

Whereas red wall voters could accept Sunak - the proles like a wealthy public school leader. He’s also got a Northern seat so whilst it’s a wealthy seat it helps perception.

He also seems (whether true or not) to be in touch with people but I think too many people would see Dories and McV as a bit hectoring (and no it’s not because they are strong women but because they are a bit hectoring in style unlike Rishi Smoothy).

It's not bollocks and I get that. I can see the argument that Dorries and McVey would put off nice middle class Tories and certainly it would switch a few more seats to the LDs in the South.

However, I think many of the MPs who just got elected will take that chance as it is not their seats. The issue with Rishi - as we are seeing with his handling of the latest restrictions - is that he is not instinctively in tune on the economic front with the RW voters. And he is also not fully in tune on the social conservatism front either. He is the sort of leader who would probably save the Tories some seats in the South East but would lose them a bunch in the North and Midlands.

Also, "the proles" don't necessarily like posh leaders. They took BJ because, like them, his attitude to life seemed tgo be to enjoy it and live and let live. Rishi is not like that. You wouldn't go down the pub with him and I doubt you would see many RW female voters swoon over 'Dishy Rishi' like the middle class housewives of the Home Counties.
  • Options

Hey @MrEd! :)

Hello @CorrectHorseBattery !! How are you doing? All ok?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

Then have the courage of your convictions and ban him (or the GOP) as a threat to democracy as the Germans did with the Nazi party post-1945. If you truly believe what you state, that is the logical next step - just be open about it.
    You miss the important point that I am not American, nor on their Supreme Court. I was just stating a view.
  • Options
    Chris said:

But this figure in itself seems pretty meaningless. They excluded known reinfections, so it's presumably meant to be a stab at estimating the intrinsic severity of Omicron versus Delta, excluding the fact that a much larger percentage of those infected with Omicron have some kind of immunity. But they acknowledge that known reinfections will be a "a substantial underestimate".

The Imperial College study did attempt to allow for unidentified reinfections, and came up with only about a 25% reduction in hospital stays of at least one night.

Reportedly SAGE advises that the rate of hospitalisation would need to be 90% lower in order to avoid exceeding the previous peak - not 50-70% and not 25%.
    @Chris, if you're really that concerned, I can forward on a list of absolutely stunning but uninhabited Hebridean islands.

You could probably get one rent free as long as you keep an eye on the ewes during lambing and are happy to briefly interact with a local boatman to offload the lambs come the autumn.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Eabhal said:

Chris said:

@Chris, if you're really that concerned, I can forward on a list of absolutely stunning but uninhabited Hebridean islands.

You could probably get one rent free as long as you keep an eye on the ewes during lambing and are happy to briefly interact with a local boatman to offload the lambs come the autumn.
    Chris exists on a higher plane of existence to us anyway.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

boulay said:

MrEd said:

It's not bollocks and I get that. I can see the argument that Dorries and McVey would put off nice middle class Tories and certainly it would switch a few more seats to the LDs in the South.

However, I think many of the MPs who just got elected will take that chance as it is not their seats. The issue with Rishi - as we are seeing with his handling of the latest restrictions - is that he is not instinctively in tune on the economic front with the RW voters. And he is also not fully in tune on the social conservatism front either. He is the sort of leader who would probably save the Tories some seats in the South East but would lose them a bunch in the North and Midlands.

Also, "the proles" don't necessarily like posh leaders. They took BJ because, like them, his attitude to life seemed tgo be to enjoy it and live and let live. Rishi is not like that. You wouldn't go down the pub with him and I doubt you would see many RW female voters swoon over 'Dishy Rishi' like the middle class housewives of the Home Counties.
    The real reason why McVey and Dorries put off southern Tories is not because they are scallies, but because they are crap. The fact that they are scallies is incidental.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Gruinard deprecated tho.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

Aslan said:

Eabhal said:

Likewise.

Donald Trump should indeed be barred from running again. I have no problem whatsoever with saying that.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,158
    edited December 2021

MrEd said:

boulay said:

MrEd said:

The real reason why McVey and Dorries put off southern Tories is not because they are scallies, but because they are crap. The fact that they are scallies is incidental.
    Either of them would lead the Tories to a terrible defeat. Even without Scotland, I'd expect Labour to get a big, big majority against a Dorries led Conservative Party. She'd be absolutely useless.... the Tories answer to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

Competition News:

The prize for best estimate of the highest daily Booster count will be a copy of The Prime Ministers by Iain Dale, signed by the author with a dedication to the competition winner.

https://www.politicos.co.uk/products/the-prime-ministers

The stewards have looked at the issue of entrants changing their identity mid-competition and have decided that, so long as the intention is not to defraud the competition, entries will roll over from old ID to new.

Boosters reported today: 840,038
    Highest Boosters to date: 968,665 (22/12)
    Nearest estimate: @Northern_Al 963,451
    Next nearest: @MattW (986,000)

I've just returned home to see this. Looking good for me provided the downward path continues. If I win, it may be the first book by a Tory to enter my house (apart from Blair's autobiography, of course :). I shall enjoy it. (Actually, scratch that - I've got Alan Clark's diaries somewhere).

However, I await the judgement of the plethora of expert modellers on here to confirm that the boosters may not get a further boost between now and the New Year. Or I guess I could just wait and see what happens.
    Nah. It'll go up for one more day.
  • Options
    The news that @HYUFD is not a Tory is genuinely hilarious.

Voted Plaid = welsh nationalist = a disgrace to the Tory cause. What a massive massive hypocrite.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    France reports 91,608 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

Macron blaming the UK incoming in 5...4...3...2...1.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Gruinard deprecated tho.
    Um, that was the one I had in mind....
  • Options

MrEd said:

boulay said:

MrEd said:

Either of them would lead the Tories to a terrible defeat. Even without Scotland, I'd expect Labour to get a big, big majority against a Dorries led Conservative Party. She'd be absolutely useless.... the Tories answer to Jeremy Corbyn.
    I'd say the important skill that Boris has not got is the ability to delegate to a competent staff, and the ability to organise one in the first place.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

I guess you are referring to the Black Watch or perhaps other Scottish regiments who earned so many battle honours there?
    No, the Indian Government of the day. (Scottish regiments didn't have organic tanks prewar, I believe.)
  • Options
    Anyway, hankies at the ready - Jon Snow's last ever Ch4 news coming up.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    edited December 2021
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

(BBC Two)

Thanks for the link. That was excellent but it makes me think that Thatcher was an incredibly moderate and restrained response to that stupidity and arrogance. They really deserved a much harsher response.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MrEd said:

boulay said:

MrEd said:

I'd say the important skill that Boris has not got is the ability to delegate to a competent staff, and the ability to organise one in the first place.
    I'm not sure that's right. At London he had some very good staff, and mostly let them get on with it, devoting his attentions to wafting around on visits and pursuing his wacky expensive ideas.

But national government doesn't work in the same way, and can't work with a lazy f****r at the top.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    DavidL said:

TimT said:

Is this the very definition of irony? Congresswoman who supported defund the police carjacked in crime-surging Philadelphia:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democratic-congresswoman-defund-police-carjacked-in-crime-surging-philadelphia

I used to think like that until I appreciated that those who want to defund the police want to defund this police force on the grounds that it is f******* useless and replace it with something better. She may well conclude that being carjacked rather makes her point rather than detracting from it.
    I actually have a lot of sympathy, as I have written before, with the actual aims of 'defund the police' - to rethink how policing is done, including stopping asking the police to deal with things for which they are neither trained or funded, such as homelessness, family counseling, and mental health.

However, I think that the name sucks. And it is also obvious that some of the 'defund the police' activists do take the slogan literally.

There was a very good piece on what happened with defund the police in Burlington VA where the aim was literally to cut the police department budget by 30% over a number of years through natural attrition of the workforce. It happened in 6 months because the police officers thought "f this for a game of soldiers, we have no political support", and more than 30% resigned. Crime and anti-social behaviour is rampant in downtown, and businesses there are suffering as a consequence.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He was my favourite news presenter when I started watching the news in about 1990. Sad that this is his final time.
  • Options
    It is a pity there is not a potential leader as capable as Gove, as hardworking as May, as charismatic as Johnson and as decent as Hunt. Though they would still need the self-self-promotional skills of Truss to win.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Florida reports 32,869 new coronavirus cases, an increase of 415% from last week
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

So I am off to AVIVA

Counselling is an unregulated profession. There are no bars to anyone offering such services without any recognised qualification.
    Which is a national scandal to be honest.
    It is also why no-one can ban "conversion therapy" despite many thinking it is a good idea.
    Since there is no definition of therapy.
    Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Gruinard deprecated tho.
    I thought they cleaned it up.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

We lock up journalists and those who have the audacity to take the piss out of our oh so sensitive masters. Is Scotland still a democracy at all?

Oh, there is someone at the door. I may be some time.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Eabhal said:

Chris said:

Gruinard deprecated tho.
    I thought they cleaned it up.
    They said they had. Sprayed the place with formalin. Supposed to have inactivated the anthrax spores.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1819816/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/gruinard-island

Seems odd to me - if it inactivated them you'd think it would inactivate anything else, given how resistant the spores are, but the place is still grassy etc.

Edit: on checking, it was reseeded.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Chris said:

You mustn't forget the average duration of stay matters too. You can half twice the intake, if the length of stay has halved.
  • Options

Still a long way to go with self driving cars......doesn't want to turn left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eaOo-2eJM

I think humanity can manage perfectly well without self-driving cars.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

We lock up journalists and those who have the audacity to take the piss out of our oh so sensitive masters. Is Scotland still a democracy at all?

Oh, there is someone at the door. I may be some time.
    Unlike Downing Street, it's possible to walk past Bute House.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

He was my favourite news presenter when I started watching the news in about 1990. Sad that this is his final time.
    I made him laugh once. I was on a panel on one of his shows (probably 1998) , and without realizing it, I rolled my eyes at what one of the other panelists said. He loved it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Prog icon. But he struggles with 'live' now so the right call, I think.
This discussion has been closed.