Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Red Wall seems to have swung most against Boris – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options

I think I will return as HorseBatteryCorrect, they will never know

No, although you insist that you are the only true Horse Battery and all other Horse voters are all inferior, actually you once voted for team Donkey. As you are already therefore a global-scale hypocrite and charlatan you do not need to come back under a pseudonym as your entire persona is already One Big Lie...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    ydoethur said:

We'll charge you with impersonation.
    Charge him with unambitious anagramming, first.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1474065585495588869

BREAKING: People with Omicron are significantly less likely to develop severe symptoms, but the effects of the booster vaccine wane after 10 weeks, according to new analysis by the UK Health Security Agency.

That's a bit of an arse as it is nearly twelve weeks since I received my booster.
    That's really serious - we've rushed to vaccinate millions only to find we've only bought ourselves a little time at most.
    Well let's not panic yet. Does it mean 'start to wane' after 10 weeks - and if so, how quickly does it decline? And where does it decline to?
    Fair comment - it's very early days but presumably those who had the booster earliest must be getting near the 10 week and of course we've still got a lot of winter to come.
    Much more data is needed. From the Telegraph

The latest data from the current wave indicated that immunity against omicron is 15 to 25 per cent lower at 10 weeks after a third dose, compared to immunity against delta.

Aren't the vaccines intrinsically less effective against Omicron? So it isn't surprising it's 15 to 25 per cent lower at any number of weeks since the dose.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

Did you know that for many sites/systems, CorrectHorseBatteryStaple (and variations) has been added to the list of banned passwords? Since large numbers of people were trying to use it.

Not sure what this tells us about the human race....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Did you know that for many sites/systems, CorrectHorseBatteryStaple (and variations) has been added to the list of banned passwords? Since large numbers of people were trying to use it.

My favourite one was the man who supposedly had 'incorrect' as his password.

Because then whenever he entered it wrong, it told him what it was...
  • Options

When it comes to passwords, after this, nothing flabbers my ghast.

Launch code for US nukes was 00000000 for 20 years

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/launch-code-for-us-nukes-was-00000000-for-20-years/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

stodge said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

BREAKING: People with Omicron are significantly less likely to develop severe symptoms, but the effects of the booster vaccine wane after 10 weeks, according to new analysis by the UK Health Security Agency.

That's a bit of an arse as it is nearly twelve weeks since I received my booster.
    That's really serious - we've rushed to vaccinate millions only to find we've only bought ourselves a little time at most.
    Well let's not panic yet. Does it mean 'start to wane' after 10 weeks - and if so, how quickly does it decline? And where does it decline to?
    Fair comment - it's very early days but presumably those who had the booster earliest must be getting near the 10 week and of course we've still got a lot of winter to come.
    Much more data is needed. From the Telegraph

The latest data from the current wave indicated that immunity against omicron is 15 to 25 per cent lower at 10 weeks after a third dose, compared to immunity against delta.

Aren't the vaccines intrinsically less effective against Omicron? So it isn't surprising it's 15 to 25 per cent lower at any number of weeks since the dose.
    Remember this stat is also against symptomatic infection as well. 2 doses against Omicron was crap against this.

My understanding is what is happening is the booster dose gives you a massive spike in antibodies, which even against Omicron does a good job of fighting it off before you develop symptoms. As that spike wanes, you are relying on your bodies trained defences to kick in, which as hasn't been trained as well against Omicron, probably does a less good job against infection / stopping you developing symptoms.

What that doesn't tell you is if it is still doing a good enough job to fight off serious illness.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12/launch-code-for-us-nukes-was-00000000-for-20-years/
    That's nothing, one senior Tory claimed his password was 1234 and that a hacker pretending to be him had used that to make him look silly by pretending to be him pretending to be a Liberal Democrat.

It's a good job he didn't go on to be a cabinet minister and lie to Parliament about improvements to transport links or anything.
  • Options

well its SHA256 hash is the same as "password" so...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

I had my booster last Sunday, as I mentioned on here. But unfortunately my NHS record has yet to be updated (which in itself is annoying as they forgot to give me the card and I would quite like to know which vaccine I had) and I'm now being bombarded with almost hourly texts and emails demanding I book my booster. Which is not only tedious but actually borders on harassment.

Is there any way of contacting these people to explain I have had it and it's their fault not mine that they don't seem to know that?

I was told they no longer bother with the card when I had my booster 12 days ago.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

I had my booster last Sunday, as I mentioned on here. But unfortunately my NHS record has yet to be updated (which in itself is annoying as they forgot to give me the card and I would quite like to know which vaccine I had) and I'm now being bombarded with almost hourly texts and emails demanding I book my booster. Which is not only tedious but actually borders on harassment.

Is there any way of contacting these people to explain I have had it and it's their fault not mine that they don't seem to know that?

I was told they no longer bother with the card when I had my booster 12 days ago.
    I'd have stopped after 'bother.'
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Yeah that was a bit of malicious compliance/assholery by the USAF. I think it was either Ike or JFK that insisted that code locks be installed and they responded by setting them to just zeros.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Just flicking through the channels....I flicked through GB News, and stopped as Alastair Stewart was interviewing Lindsay Hoyle, serious grown up stuff. I thought huh, that's quite interesting, maybe they have stopped all that other nonsense. 15 mins later, some loud mouth oink is blathering about anti-lockdown / anti-mask / anti-freedom bollocks.

GB News is very strange product. At least with Fox News you know what you are getting.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Yeah that was a bit of malicious compliance/assholery by the USAF. I think it was either Ike or JFK that insisted that code locks be installed and they responded by setting them to just zeros.
    Also brilliant physiology - no-one would try that code at random, or believe it was the right one.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Also brilliant physiology - no-one would try that code at random, or believe it was the right one.
    Do you mean 'psychology?'
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

We didn't get booster cards when we had our jabs in November - although the NHS App shows we've had them. Our nephew did get a card for his booster last week though. There doesn't seem to be any consistency.
  • Options

Yes I did know that, because people seem to think that a password that was once "safe" is safe if you use it over and over again. A bit like if you made some keys that securely locked your house and then left copies outside your house and gave them to all your friends, you would not be shocked if people broke into your home!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

rpjs said:

The WOPR would've cracked it a bit quicker, though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Do you mean 'psychology?'
    yup - auto-incorrect...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

We didn't get booster cards when we had our jabs in November - although the NHS App shows we've had them. Our nephew did get a card for his booster last week though. There doesn't seem to be any consistency.
    Well, it is nearly Christmas.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

We'll charge you with impersonation.
    Charge him with unambitious anagramming, first.
    Or a power supply, perhaps?

Clearly this pun was just too subtle...
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

I got one when I had mine 2 days ago, although that was at Elland Road so I wonder if the mass vaccination centres have big stacks of them.
  • Options

rpjs said:

The WOPR should have just started from zero…
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    RH1992 said:

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

I got one when I had mine 2 days ago, although that was at Elland Road so I wonder if the mass vaccination centres have big stacks of them.
    My booster was written in on the bottom of my original card.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Hah, my thought too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

Indeed, my mum got one too when she had hers in October.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It was such a stupid lie. He could have easily just stuck to the line of we are taking these measures as a precaution and said trust me on my record. Instead he had to get a direct political dig in, and he couldn't help but tell a lie.

But he won't ever be held to account on it.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474071983067389958?t=6SzgWX5Gs8PV1rp7us_37w&s=19

Good thread there about the UKHSA findings.

There is some good news, ok news, bad news, potentially down the line really bad news. Bit of everything really.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

GB News is very strange product. At least with Fox News you know what you are getting.

Rank hypocrisy?

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1473777702654124046?t=-CoX83Z2PUiwTs6rEma7dQ&s=19
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    jonny83 said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474071983067389958?t=6SzgWX5Gs8PV1rp7us_37w&s=19

There is some good news, ok news, bad news, potentially down the line really bad news. Bit of everything really.
    This does not mean Omicron *causes mild disease* These are epidemiological studies which tell us Omicron *is less likely to cause* severe disease.

This has been my worry, people hear milder, it doesn't mean mild.
  • Options

rpjs said:

"Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?"
  • Options

It was such a stupid lie. He could have easily just stuck to the line of we are taking these measures as a precaution and said trust me on my record. Instead he had to get a direct political dig in, and he couldn't help but tell a lie.

But he won't ever be held to account on it.
    I expect his next press conference will see journalists raising it
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    "Updated vaccine effectiveness analysis shows mRNA boosters beginning to wane from one month (week 5-9) for Omicron, and as low as 30-50% effective from 10 weeks post-booster."

Moderna and Pfizer need to crack on and make a Omicron version.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ok, here's a question.

Indeed, my mum got one too when she had hers in October.
    I was boosted six weeks ago. I have had letters every week since telling me that I am not boosted and the records show I need to get one asap.

Finally, I downloaded the NHS app and my booster is recorded.

I did not get a card.

When I was worried I looked into it and there is a help line where you leave your details and they ring you back within 21 days.

• Options

"Updated vaccine effectiveness analysis shows mRNA boosters beginning to wane from one month (week 5-9) for Omicron, and as low as 30-50% effective from 10 weeks post-booster."

Aargh! 😬
  • Options
    So it seems like, we really need to get on and boost people again, that news was lost
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

"GROWTH RATES
    Is it slowing down?
    Not yet. Still about 2 day doubling for Omicron, and between 1.5-2.0 days in all regions"

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474083278177120256?s=20
  • Options

Or alternatively, hope we all get it before the immunity has waned? But that would be too late already for the likes of TSE.
  • Options

Aargh! 😬
    Panic ye not! From the twitter thread it clarifies that the reduction is "protection against mild infection. Protection against Severe disease is likely to be largely maintained."
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

jonny83 said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

"GROWTH RATES
    Is it slowing down?
    Not yet. Still about 2 day doubling for Omicron, and between 1.5-2.0 days in all regions"

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474083278177120256?s=20
    I heard on the news tonight that it was slowing down a bit now. No longer 2 days.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited December 2021

MattW said:

MattW said:

BUPA have been utterly useless on the covering of my counselling, they refused to cover it as they don't recognise the person I get it from. I went because my GP recommended it, which is what people will do.

So I am off to AVIVA

You get Councilling covered under certain Healthcare Cash Plans:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/healthcare-cash-plans/
    Pre-existing now so they won't cover it
    It's a cashplan, not insurance.

I'm on this side because I have pre-existing diabetes, which can be tied in to anything.

By choosing my cashplan that limitation vanishes.

Suggest you do some research. It's not medical insurance, but offers a lot of benefit. I get my money back nearly from just the dental and teh glasses grants.
    Ah, I show my ignorance once again. Thanks.
    Really wishing you the best with this, @Horse.

You pay a lowish monthly fee, get a package of grants which cover regular health needs at varying frequencies - things like a proportion of your spend on glasses or dentists, perhaps health screening, a cash grant per day when you spend time in hospital or on convalescence, wellness services such as physio, perhaps massage, and counselling.

Quite a few also give you various discounts at retailers. My parent used to be in one that gave me an extra 10% off at Wickes, but mine only gives me 5%.

The organisational model is from before the NHS, when people used to save every week to pay for a Doc when they needed one. Some employers offer them to staff as a perk or optional perk.

There's a guide here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/healthcare-cash-plans/
This discussion has been closed.