Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Honourable Members? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Shameful.

The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal has struck off a solicitor for using a family member's 'Blue Badge' to shave a bit of time off his walk to work.

Wahid Nazari worked in the Sussex office of personal injury firm Carpenters at the time. He was also the primary carer for a relative, Person A, who had a legitimate Blue Badge, which is reserved for use by a disabled person.

Nazari was convicted at Lewes Crown Court in 2019 for dishonest use of the Blue Badge, and was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £6,000 after he was deemed to have used the badge for his own purpose on "at least eight" occasions between June and August 2018.

On one occasion, Nazari dropped off his relative, drove to work, and parked on a single yellow line near to the office. Inspectors spotted Nazari's car was parked in a restricted area, with the Blue Badge displayed on the dashboard.

The solicitor told the inspectors that he intended to collect his relative from the nearby train station and take them to Brighton after he finished work. When the inspectors ascertained that the relative was some distance away, they confiscated the Blue Badge.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/solicitor-struck-misusing-blue-badge
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Charles said:

Which second jobs for MPs do the public approve of?

People don’t like bankers? 😭
    Banker is definitely the odd one out of the most disliked professions. I know they can be disliked, but don’t deserve to be grouped with lobbyists and the media.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Shameful.

The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal has struck off a solicitor for using a family member's 'Blue Badge' to shave a bit of time off his walk to work.

Wahid Nazari worked in the Sussex office of personal injury firm Carpenters at the time. He was also the primary carer for a relative, Person A, who had a legitimate Blue Badge, which is reserved for use by a disabled person.

Nazari was convicted at Lewes Crown Court in 2019 for dishonest use of the Blue Badge, and was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £6,000 after he was deemed to have used the badge for his own purpose on "at least eight" occasions between June and August 2018.

On one occasion, Nazari dropped off his relative, drove to work, and parked on a single yellow line near to the office. Inspectors spotted Nazari's car was parked in a restricted area, with the Blue Badge displayed on the dashboard.

The solicitor told the inspectors that he intended to collect his relative from the nearby train station and take them to Brighton after he finished work. When the inspectors ascertained that the relative was some distance away, they confiscated the Blue Badge.

I had no idea that was a crime.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited November 2021

AlistairM said:
    Seems the Geordies prefer Gordon Sumner over Mark Knopfler.

(Actually I see that Sting and I attended the same university, he to do teacher training, me to do my CIPD).
    I think the county only refers to where the artist is born, and it's the artist with most worldwide record sales in each county. So it doesn't matter who Geordies prefer, Sting has sold more records.
    Doesn't this chart exclude loads of bands with members from multiple counties ?

Edit:
    Hold on, why does Emerson, Lake & Palmer get Dorset but the Rolling Stones are excluded from Kent ?!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Shameful.

There is far too much abuse of Blue Badge causing problems for the genuine people.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

(Actually I see that Sting and I attended the same university, he to do teacher training, me to do my CIPD).
    I think the county only refers to where the artist is born, and it's the artist with most worldwide record sales in each county. So it doesn't matter who Geordies prefer, Sting has sold more records.
    Knopfler was born in Glasgow. Dire Straits are on a playlist of Scottish artists I put together for Burns Night on that basis.
    And brought up in Blyth (which is admittedly just outside the Toon, but then so is Wallsend where Sting was born). He has a Geordie accent and is usually treated as a local boy.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Shameful.

It is, I learned about it when I applied for my mother's blue badge.

Ultimately it should be used exclusively for the blue badge holder's benefit.

I had one chap who assumed people who have blue badges are on benefits and a blue badge on an expensive Mercedes pissed off and he wasn't shy about telling me off about it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited November 2021
    Sean_F said:

Shameful.

Nice to see it tightening up.

Not so long ago a good % of use was fraudulent.

A right to park effectively unrestricted is quite valuable in eg London, when it costs the minimum wage to park your car, plus the Sadiq taxes to get there.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,434

AlistairM said:
    I didn't realise Olivia Newton-John was from Cambridge. Apparently her father worked for MI5 at Bletchley Park during the Second World War.
    Surprised

AlistairM said:
    I didn't realise Olivia Newton-John was from Cambridge. Apparently her father worked for MI5 at Bletchley Park during the Second World War.
    Poor old London. Could have had Bowie instead they get Sir Elton.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Surely it's just the artist with the most sales. It's not making a judgment about birthplace or anything else.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Knopfler was born in Glasgow. Dire Straits are on a playlist of Scottish artists I put together for Burns Night on that basis.
    Which makes it even less relevant who Geordies prefer between him and Sting then!
    Erm... Pink Floyd - Cambridge? Surely one of the biggest worldwide sellers of all time.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

And brought up in Blyth (which is admittedly just outside the Toon, but then so is Wallsend where Sting was born). He has a Geordie accent and is usually treated as a local boy.
    Yeah I kept the definition broad so I could have the best possible play list! Lonnie Donegan qualified on the same basis - he certainly doesn't sound Scottish on his records.
  • Options

AlistairM said:
    Surprised

AlistairM said:
    Sir Elton has sold a crazy amount of records, only behind the Beatles in the UK.
  • Options

If nobody else is going to bother..

Plumbers in government might help fix the leaks.
    :lol:

Didnt Nixon have a dodgy group of people called 'The Plumbers' who did 'tasks'?
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Which makes it even less relevant who Geordies prefer between him and Sting then!
    Actually clicking on the link it says "County of origin", you are right it will have Mr Knopfler down a a Scot.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Actually clicking on the link it says "County of origin", you are right it will have Mr Knopfler down a a Scot.
    What do they use for bands, founding lead singer member ?
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597

AlistairM said:

Sting was briefly at the University of Warwick at the same time as me. One evening my friend asked me to join her for coffee in her room to chat to a guy on her course who was thinking of dropping out. I vaguely remember a guy called Gordon who had glasses, dark hair and spots. I like to think that it was indeed Sting and if I had been more lively and vivacious that evening, Sting might have pursued a career in academia rather than music. Whether this would have been a good thing, is up to you to decide.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Doesn't this chart exclude loads of bands with members from multiple counties ?

Edit:
    Hold on, why does Emerson, Lake & Palmer get Dorset but the Rolling Stones are excluded from Kent ?!
    Led Zep in and around the West Midlands

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Not sure what formula could make Jethro Tull come from Bedfordshire..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

If so then The Cure (founded in my own home town of Crawley) isn't quite right as Robert Smith was actually born in Blackpool.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

If nobody else is going to bother..

Plumbers in government might help fix the leaks.
    HGV driver to ensure delivery of promises?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Let's take a few actual examples. We have Geoffrey Cox QC who earns over £1m as a lawyer; we have the Saj who earned over £1m whilst a backbencher working for JP Morgan and others and we have Rishi who has a remarkable earning capacity. Oh, and we have a PM who was previously a very well paid journalist and after dinner speaker.

Is anyone really trying to argue that the House of Commons would do a better job of both staffing a government and passing our legislation without people like this? Our traditional lament is that there is not nearly enough talented people who are daft or egotistical enough to want to be politicians. It is one I have made on numerous occasions comparing our current cabinet with the talent that was available to Harold Wilson or Margaret Thatcher.

We absolutely should not look to hound people of genuine ability and marketability out of politics. Indeed we should be looking to entice more of them in. I want to be governed by smart, clever, capable people, not a bunch of no marks who are not capable of earning any more anywhere else.

Where I do draw the line is the sort of plain and simple conflicts of interest that Owen Paterson and IDS completely ignored. They were both earning money by seeking to direct public money to their patrons. That is a menace that must be stopped. But second jobs? Its a yes from me.
  • Options
    what I don't understand is why more is not said about the most obvious lobbying relationship. That between unions and Labour MPs. A union, representing a narrow section of the population, might sponsor an MP and would have a role in electing party leadership. How can that be anything other than a compromised lobbying relationship?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    How do you compare records sold with streams anyway? Sam Fender is pulling in 5m+ a week reppin’ Tyneside
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

If so then The Cure (founded in my own home town of Crawley) isn't quite right as Robert Smith was actually born in Blackpool.
    The map is ludicrous when you scrutinise it. No logic (some bands included, many not, whatever their actual birthplace) and a poor choice of artists, it’s certainly not sales

Herefordshire: Ellie Goulding??! What? Who?

Most of the Pretenders came from Herefordshire, I believe. A vastly more important musical presence who sold way more records than… Ellie Goulding

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    AlistairM said:
    Keane were a few years above me at school
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Let's take a few actual examples. We have Geoffrey Cox QC who earns over £1m as a lawyer; we have the Saj who earned over £1m whilst a backbencher working for JP Morgan and others and we have Rishi who has a remarkable earning capacity. Oh, and we have a PM who was previously a very well paid journalist and after dinner speaker.

Is anyone really trying to argue that the House of Commons would do a better job of both staffing a government and passing our legislation without people like this? Our traditional lament is that there is not nearly enough talented people who are daft or egotistical enough to want to be politicians. It is one I have made on numerous occasions comparing our current cabinet with the talent that was available to Harold Wilson or Margaret Thatcher.

We absolutely should not look to hound people of genuine ability and marketability out of politics. Indeed we should be looking to entice more of them in. I want to be governed by smart, clever, capable people, not a bunch of no marks who are not capable of earning any more anywhere else.

Where I do draw the line is the sort of plain and simple conflicts of interest that Owen Paterson and IDS completely ignored. They were both earning money by seeking to direct public money to their patrons. That is a menace that must be stopped. But second jobs? Its a yes from me.

I agree, if keeping a second job in their old professions ensures we can still attract top professionals to become MPs as you and the thread header suggests, then so be it
  • Options
    A map of famous musicians by birthplace in each London Borough would be fascinating. Some stiff competition. Tho you would get concentrations around hospitals. I bet UCLH, the Royal Free and the Whittington could fill a very decent 2 day festival, by themselves
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    One for @Sunil_Prasannan - London Overground will be calling at Battersea Park on December 31st only - usually it's only very early morning departures and a single late night arrival.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2021/11/11/london-overground-trains-to-call-at-battersea-park-station-on-new-years-eve/
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Shameful.

Nice to see it tightening up.

Not so long ago a good % of use was fraudulent.

A right to park effectively unrestricted is quite valuable in eg London, when it costs the minimum wage to park your car, plus the Sadiq taxes to get there.
    Following the link from that link shows quite a seam of fraudulently parking, and fare dodging, lawyers.

Lying about why they did it seems to be the trigger to being disbarred, rather than fined or suspended.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,144

AlistairM said:

Erm... Pink Floyd - Cambridge? Surely one of the biggest worldwide sellers of all time.
    Nick Mason was a Brummie. Still is.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    Austria announces nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1459130995400130590

I think the concept of lockdowns for the unvaccinated will be counterproductive. It's one thing to propose it in order to encourage people to get vaccinated, but if you bring it in while Delta is already circulating out of control, it won't do anything to stop the spread so risks discrediting both the state and the vaccines.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

They should have plumped for Chezza.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

The map is ludicrous when you scrutinise it. No logic (some bands included, many not, whatever their actual birthplace) and a poor choice of artists, it’s certainly not sales

Most of the Pretenders came from Herefordshire, I believe. A vastly more important musical presence who sold way more records than… Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding is very famous and has been making music for well over 10 years you luddite
  • Options
    Here's a shock. Left behind regions to get left further behind with transition to Green economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/move-to-green-economy-risks-jobs-in-some-parts-of-the-uk-report-warns/ar-AAQBqr3?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531
  • Options
    Leon said:

A map of famous musicians by birthplace in each London Borough would be fascinating. Some stiff competition. Tho you would get concentrations around hospitals. I bet UCLH, the Royal Free and the Whittington could fill a very decent 2 day festival, by themselves

Here you are.

https://brilliantmaps.com/music-london/

You are welcome.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:
    I was at school with James Blount

But I’m not sure he qualifies as a musician…
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Ellie Goulding is very famous and has been making music for well over 10 years you luddite
    So she has. And yes she’s sold lots of records - I just checked. I now feel like the elderly judge who inquired as to the identity of this “musical combo - the Beatles”

I will now listen to her most famous song to see if it’s good
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

But two of the original four were junkies who died from their addiction early on in their career. One of whom had already been booted out the band for his addiction.

When I saw them live Chrissie said "RIP Pete" at the end.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    When Sting was born vast swathes of what is now “the City of” Newcastle was still in Northumberland including Alan Shearer’s birth town of Gosforth.

Although the North of Tyne Combined Authority has essentially reinstated historic Northumberland.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Here you are.

You are welcome.
    Hah. Good map - but some suspicious inclusions. Led zep? They are much more strongly associated with Worcestershire and brum

I never knew rod stewart was born in Camden. Highgate!

It proves my point that london itself could fill a world class 2 day festival with bands and acts. The best festival ever, in fact
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

So she has. And yes she’s sold lots of records - I just checked. I now feel like the elderly judge who inquired as to the identity of this “musical combo - the Beatles”

Perhaps you subconsciously cancelled her for her romantic liaison with Prince Harry?
    Anecdote alert: I first heard "how long will I love you" at a wedding in Albania (not of a taxi driver, sadly) and thought it was a lovely tune, although I always get very emosh at weddings so my judgement may have been clouded by the romantic occasion.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Exclusive: The army had to be drafted in to secure essential equipment for Randox – the company that won almost £600 million in Covid-19 testing contracts while employing Owen Paterson as a lobbyist https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/army-called-in-to-help-owen-paterson-firm-randox-on-covid-contract-728qcq5bp?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636719721
  • Options
    The memo was written by a health official after a phone call on April 9, 2020, between Lord Bethell, the Tory peer who was the minister responsible for testing contracts at the time, and Paterson, the Conservative MP who was paid £100,000 a year by Randox https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1459135027766341632/photo/1
  • Options
    Data from the #COVID19 Infection Survey shows infections

- decreased in England and Wales
    - remained level in Scotland
    - the trend was uncertain in Northern Ireland

in the week ending 6 November 2021.

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1459129141287137284?s=20

One in:
    England: 60
    Wales: 45
    NI: 75
    Scotland: 85
  • Options
    The Tory civil war about sleaze escalated last night after the culture secretary rebuked a fellow minister who claimed that the row over MPs’ outside earnings could damage the government at the polls.

In a sign of growing rancour among Boris Johnson’s MPs, a defiant Nadine Dorries accused fellow Tories of peddling “totally not true” predictions that the fallout from the second jobs scandal would hurt the party electorally.

In full view of parliamentary colleagues she told George Freeman — a business minister who last night wrote to Conservative MPs on WhatsApp to express fears that the “damage from last week” would “take a lot more than good words to repair” — that the 2009 expenses scandal had been “a billion times worse” than the current controversy.

Dorries, who as culture secretary is responsible for regulation of the media industry, went on to argue that the Tories were unfairly maligned by the press. She risked exacerbating generational tensions between Tory intakes by writing off fears of pushback from voters as the naïveté of the inexperienced.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-fill-pockets-using-rent-expenses-loophole-v7j5jtls6
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Data from the #COVID19 Infection Survey shows infections

- decreased in England and Wales
    - remained level in Scotland
    - the trend was uncertain in Northern Ireland

in the week ending 6 November 2021.

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1459129141287137284?s=20

One in:
    England: 60
    Wales: 45
    NI: 75
    Scotland: 85

And still no evidence of waning vaccine protection amongst the older cohorts.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

'Burn' is my daughters' all time favourite on Just Dance. That's the sort of territory you're in here.
  • Options
    Well now.

The army had to be drafted in to secure essential equipment for a company that won almost £600 million in Covid-19 testing contracts while employing Owen Paterson as a lobbyist.

Randox, which was given its first £133 million contract without tender in March 2020, told officials in the subsequent days that it would struggle to complete enough Covid-19 tests without help.

In an internal memo seen by The Times, a government official wrote that the company was “nervous about having sufficient systems” and the army was “on way to Glasgow to pick up” two machines that were urgently needed for testing.

“Current issue — don’t have enough extraction systems,” the note stated. “Was hoping yourselves, gov could help us access extraction systems from universities, hospitals anywhere . . . Any we can get our hands on.”

The memo was written by a health official after a phone call on April 9, 2020, between Lord Bethell, the Tory peer who was the minister responsible for testing contracts at the time, and Paterson, the Conservative MP who was paid £100,000 a year by Randox.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/army-called-in-to-help-owen-paterson-firm-randox-on-covid-contract-728qcq5bp
  • Options
    Off topic: apparently Johnson & Johnson plans to split into two companies. I am assuming that both firms will simply be called Johnson.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive: The army had to be drafted in to secure essential equipment for Randox – the company that won almost £600 million in Covid-19 testing contracts while employing Owen Paterson as a lobbyist https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/army-called-in-to-help-owen-paterson-firm-randox-on-covid-contract-728qcq5bp?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636719721

Almost 600 million.

There's more than £100,000 a year in dodgy payments being made.

The Grand National sponsorship tie-up is a thing I'd be investigating.
  • Options

Off topic: apparently Johnson & Johnson plans to split into two companies. I am assuming that both firms will simply be called Johnson.

The Pharma and Medical Division will keep the name Johnson & Johnson, the other company name has yet to be decided.
  • Options
    Taz said:

AlistairM said:

Yes, but the core members, Syd and Roger were from Cambridge , not sure about others and then Dave Gilmour who joined later was also from Cambridge. Plenty of Cambridge references in songs and album covers by Storm Thorgerson who went to school with Syd and Roger
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

He is actually pretty good, we saw him at Audley End in August.

Though I believe he went to Harrow not Eton
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

The non mention of Led Zeppelin is what kills it's cred for me.
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE: Gareth Southgate is close to announcing a two-year contract extension as England manager that will take him to the end of Euro 2024

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1459136876468650036
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

'Burn' is my daughters' all time favourite on Just Dance. That's the sort of territory you're in here.
    Yes, I’m listening to it now. Oh dear. I’m afraid it does adduce more evidence for my Theory on the Decline of Pop Music, and of IQs in general (not including your daughter, of course)

Bombastic synth-pop with auto-tuned voices. Is it distinguishable from Katy Perry? Not sure it is
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

There are things such as prep schools.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

There are things such as prep schools.
    Fair enough
  • Options

There was considerable discussion about how much influence they could buy with the UK government if they called themselves Boris & Boris.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Independent Commissioner? John Bercow?
  • Options

The Tory civil war about sleaze escalated last night after the culture secretary rebuked a fellow minister who claimed that the row over MPs’ outside earnings could damage the government at the polls.

In a sign of growing rancour among Boris Johnson’s MPs, a defiant Nadine Dorries accused fellow Tories of peddling “totally not true” predictions that the fallout from the second jobs scandal would hurt the party electorally.

In full view of parliamentary colleagues she told George Freeman — a business minister who last night wrote to Conservative MPs on WhatsApp to express fears that the “damage from last week” would “take a lot more than good words to repair” — that the 2009 expenses scandal had been “a billion times worse” than the current controversy.

Dorries, who as culture secretary is responsible for regulation of the media industry, went on to argue that the Tories were unfairly maligned by the press. She risked exacerbating generational tensions between Tory intakes by writing off fears of pushback from voters as the naïveté of the inexperienced.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-fill-pockets-using-rent-expenses-loophole-v7j5jtls6

The Tories may be, like others, unfairly maligned by the press but people see through that. This is resonating. She is deluding herself if she thinks this is just the press being nasty.
  • Options
    I like this thread header. It seems a particularly elegant idea to say that MPs can only continue with the jobs/skill sets they had prior to becoming an MP so that being an MP has no influence on their being hired by a company. My only disagreement would be that I am not sure I agree with the upper limit on earnings from those jobs. If you are paid 100K a year for legal work then why should you be paid any less for the same work just because you are an MP?
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Here you are.

You are welcome.
    Hah. Good map - but some suspicious inclusions. Led zep? They are much more strongly associated with Worcestershire and brum

It proves my point that london itself could fill a world class 2 day festival with bands and acts. The best festival ever, in fact
    Suspect the ancient ceremonial county of Lancashire could match it.
  • Options

Taz said:

AlistairM said:

Yes, but the core members, Syd and Roger were from Cambridge , not sure about others and then Dave Gilmour who joined later was also from Cambridge. Plenty of Cambridge references in songs and album covers by Storm Thorgerson who went to school with Syd and Roger
    Definitely a Cambridge band. “Grantchester Meadows” on Ummagumma…
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Yes, I’m listening to it now. Oh dear. I’m afraid it does adduce more evidence for my Theory on the Decline of Pop Music, and of IQs in general (not including your daughter, of course)

Bombastic synth-pop with auto-tuned voices. Is it distinguishable from Katy Perry? Not sure it is
    Autotune was an amazing invention. It means that anyone with a pretty face can claim they are a "singer", or even more ludicrously, a "musician"
  • Options

Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Autotune was an amazing invention. It means that anyone with a pretty face can claim they are a "singer", or even more ludicrously, a "musician"
    And they all sound exactly the same. Sad
  • Options
    Dom has been blogging again...

When Vote Leave say that the public knew what they were voting for in 2016 and 2019, it turned out that even their frontman didn't know what he was voting for. https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1459136193162063872
  • Options
    On topic:
    One proposal worth looking at might be to say that the decision on where to award a contract should not rest with MPs but with Civil Servants. MPs might provide general guidance - prioritising British firms etc - but I would have thought the job of Government is to decide what is done not who does it. Remove the power of MPs to decide the specifics of where contracts are awarded and a lot of the temptation and appearance of corruption would go away.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Some bands are just forever associated with a particular city or county, regardless of where individuals might be born.

Soft Machine in Canterbury, Pulp in Sheffield, Blur in Essex, ELO or Black Sabbath in Brum, Nick Drake in Warwickshire, the Animals in Newcastle etc.

Some cities - London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Cambridge, Canterbury, and I guess Sheffield, have or had well defined “scenes” or even “sounds”.

Leeds seems to be a black hole; not much seems to have come from there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

Ummm. Are you suggesting I don’t know who I was at school with?

He was at Elstree before he went to Harrow.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

AlistairM said:

Absolutely; as Radiohead is to Oxford, Pink Floyd are to Cambridge.
  • Options
    @Leon the bassnectar remix of her song Lights is regarded by some as up there as one of the best electronic dance music tracks of its sub-genre.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Here you are.

You are welcome.

Suspect the ancient ceremonial county of Lancashire could match it.
    If you include Liverpool and Manc you mean? Yes that would be highly illustrious

The Beatles, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Oasis, the Smiths.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

So we end up with a stream of industry plants, talentless pretty faces with a big marketing operation.

Great for the talent manager and his casting couch, but terrible for music.
  • Options
    Deloitte consultants were paid £6,000 a day and the company charged the taxpayer £1 million per day in fees for their work on failed Test and Trace.

Now Ministers have given Deloitte another contract preparing the "strategy" for the public inquiry. Cancel this contract now.
    https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1459134473270870056/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Dom has been blogging again...

When Vote Leave say that the public knew what they were voting for in 2016 and 2019, it turned out that even their frontman didn't know what he was voting for. https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1459136193162063872

Well quelle surprise. Johnson didn't know what he was actually advocating. Cummings knew what an easily manipulatable idiot he had helped put in No10. What he hadn't realised was that Carrie knew this too and she had methods unavailable to Cummings.
  • Options

@Leon the bassnectar remix of her song Lights is regarded by some as up there as one of the best electronic dance music tracks of its sub-genre.

Link please?

I like finding new music, indeed eager to hear it. But the regular versions of Ellie Goulding don’t do it for me, I’m afraid
  • Options
    Leon said:

Link please?

I like finding new music, indeed eager to hear it. But the regular versions of Ellie Goulding don’t do it for me, I’m afraid
    Can do Apple Music https://music.apple.com/gb/album/lights-bassnectar-remix/1444884316?i=1444884325
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    DavidL said:

Oh wow, that was my 40,000th post on PB under the current system.

#getalife?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So we end up with a stream of industry plants, talentless pretty faces with a big marketing operation.

Great for the talent manager and his casting couch, but terrible for music.

*cough*Stock, Aitken and Waterman*cough*
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Thats from the UCU, not 'academics'.

I'd be more inclined to ask about their conflicts of interest attacking the Chair of a University at a time they are running a campaign to tip the balance of funding pensions schemes far more heavily against universities, when there are proposals around for having uni pensions more sustainably funded.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Some bands are just forever associated with a particular city or county, regardless of where individuals might be born.

Soft Machine in Canterbury, Pulp in Sheffield, Blur in Essex, ELO or Black Sabbath in Brum, Nick Drake in Warwickshire, the Animals in Newcastle etc.

Some cities - London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Cambridge, Canterbury, and I guess Sheffield, have or had well defined “scenes” or even “sounds”.

Excuse me! Soft Cell and the Gang of Four were from Leeds. Legends.
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Zeppelin were largely Brum, along with Sabbath. I had (perhaps erroneously) also thought that the third part of the "unholy trinity", Deep Purple were also Brum in their roots?
  • Options
    What Dominic Raab said

"He followed all the advice and all the guidance that he got at all times. I think that's the right thing for all of us to do’

What actually happened
    https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1459141938964221958/photo/1
  • Options

Leon said:

Link please?

Can do Apple Music https://music.apple.com/gb/album/lights-bassnectar-remix/1444884316?i=1444884325
    In afraid it’s awful.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,219
    edited November 2021
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

Elstree?

Sebastian Faulks went there as well didn't he?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thats from the UCU, not 'academics'.

I'd be more inclined to ask about their conflicts of interest attacking the Chair of a University at a time they are running a campaign to tip the balance of funding pensions schemes far more heavily against universities, when there are proposals around for having uni pensions more sustainably funded.
    It was pretty thin as well

- investment in BAe through a mutual fund while a director
    - Investment in Schroder managed funds while a director

I was on the investment committee of a London School (grad) for years. Council played zero role in investment decisions and who the fund manager was
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The Times have got an article on the virus situation in Europe, it's extremely gloomy. Fingers crossed that our strategy of chasing herd immunity in the summer and autumn has worked. I really can't do another lockdown.
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Zeppelin were largely Brum, along with Sabbath. I had (perhaps erroneously) also thought that the third part of the "unholy trinity", Deep Purple were also Brum in their roots?
    I agree, in my head, Led Zep are West Midlands.
    But they were formed, I think in London. Only Plant and Bonham were Midlanders.

If I was from Brum I would claim them.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Link please?

In afraid it’s awful.
    You might have a different opinion if you’d drank 10 pints and taken multiple pills.
  • Options

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

AlistairM said:

Elstree?

Sebastian Faulks went there as well didn't he?
    Yes, but before my time 😁
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,434
    Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:
    Surprised

AlistairM said:
    Sir Elton has sold a crazy amount of records, only behind the Beatles in the UK.
    Yep. And the Rubettes probably sold more than Roxy Music. That comparison is perhaps being a bit unfair to Sir Elt.

Little know fact. Both Bryan Ferry and Elton John auditioned as a singer for King Crimson.
    Both turned down. Some guy, Robert Fripp.
    (King Crimson, BTW, are well worth discovering if you've hitherto overlooked them. And are still touring.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Link please?

In afraid it’s awful.
    You might have a different opinion if you’d drank 10 pints and multiple pills.
    I doubt I’d be conscious - perhaps that is in fact the only way to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

AlistairM said:

Agree about Leeds punching under its weight culturally, well, certainly in music. It's a big puzzler.

I'd struggle a bit to pinpoint Nottingham's modern cultural influence as well.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

Leon said:

Link please?

In afraid it’s awful.
    Ellie Goulding is the epitome of bland.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Leon said:

Taz said:

AlistairM said:

This is a stretch.

Nick Mason is from Surrey (went to Frensham Heights) and Richard Wright was from Middlesex.

After Syd Barrett's departure in 1968, of the four settled members of Pink Floyd, two had nothing to do with Cambridge.

This discussion has been closed.