Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Gareth Southgate going to follow in Sir Keir Starmer’s footsteps? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

It is as pathetic to be bothered by Keir wanting to be known as Keir instead of Sir Keir, as it is to be bothered by Boris wanting to be known as Boris instead of Johnson.

Whatever given name people want to go by, that's up to them and I couldn't care less. Whether that be Keir, Boris, or Josephine but only on Saturdays.

If Keith didn't want to be known as SKS - and especicialy if he's LOTO - he should not have accepted the title.
    Absolutely preposterous bollocks.

Sometimes you see people write their names out with all sorts of acronyms of their titles etc that they have but most of the time people don't.

I have an honours degree and a Masters degree that means I could put those titles in my name if I wanted to, but I wouldn't unless it was absolutely relevant because it's preposterous to do so in normal circumstances.
    Not sure equating your job roles with that of a potential PM is that relevant.

If you want to be PM - and have already accepted a knighthood - then you just have to accept being called "Sir".

We'll all be calling him Keith soon enough anyway.
    Sir Ed Davey.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Alistair said:

Also Bonier pointa oit that there is not much high quality polling for the election. The recent glut of polls has all been GOP think tanks.

I think that is a bit unfair as people like Emerson, Washington Post and USA Today have also done polling recently and their message has been the same, the race is a dead heat. The exception is Fox which, as Pop pointed out, actually is regarded as high quality and non-partisan despite being Fox.

The early vote tallies are here by district:

https://www.vpap.org/elections/early-voting/november-2021-election/

Looking at a congressional district level, I would make the following comments:

The top 4 districts for absolute number of early votes are 10, 7, 8 and 1, with 4 and 11 not too far behind. Of the top 4, the 8th is very Democrat, the 10th moderately so, the 7th is a swing seat and the 1st is moderately Republican. In addition, the 4th and 11th are safe Democrat seats, particularly the 11th. So looking at that, you would say by district, the Democrats should be in a good spot.

However, the 10th is the seat of Loudoun County and has the highest number of early voters. Given all the school controversies there, one argument is that the controversy is driving up turnout amongst dissatisfied parents.

In addition, the 2nd, 5th and 6th seats are not too far behind the 4th and 11th for early voting. 2 of these are safe/ safe-ish / Republican and the other one (the 2nd) is a swing seat (R+1 according to the lean).

One thing I might also be worried about on the early vote counts is that the 3rd district, which is a Democrat stronghold, has low early voting turnout relative to other seats. The other seat worse is the 9th, which is heavily Republican, rural and where you would expect a heavy election day turnout.

I'm still happy with my Youngkin bet, I think he will squeeze it out but can also accept it could be a narrow McAuliffe win. As an outside bet, I have put Youngkin's margin at >2.5% at what was then 9/2 as an outside bet.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

It is as pathetic to be bothered by Keir wanting to be known as Keir instead of Sir Keir, as it is to be bothered by Boris wanting to be known as Boris instead of Johnson.

Whatever given name people want to go by, that's up to them and I couldn't care less. Whether that be Keir, Boris, or Josephine but only on Saturdays.

If Keith didn't want to be known as SKS - and especicialy if he's LOTO - he should not have accepted the title.

Sometimes you see people write their names out with all sorts of acronyms of their titles etc that they have but most of the time people don't.

I have an honours degree and a Masters degree that means I could put those titles in my name if I wanted to, but I wouldn't unless it was absolutely relevant because it's preposterous to do so in normal circumstances.

If you want to be PM - and have already accepted a knighthood - then you just have to accept being called "Sir".

Sir Ed Davey.
    Not sure of your point - But Sir Ed is known as Sir Ed in chamber; the way is should be done.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,541
    ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

I have 30 characters after my name. I only use them when parents are really getting up my nose.
    One of the worst cases of diplomatosis that I have encountered...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited October 2021
    isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

If SKS want's to just be known as Keir Starmer in the chamber he should have the good grace to relinquish his title.

Maybe he does it just to annoy you
    That would be "delusions of grandeur"
    You're quite right. Let's go in the other direction:
    What's it to you?
    I'm anti Blair's party and fairly sure Keith is utilising loopholes so that he comes across as more common for the sake of working class votes.
    Tribalist wittering, then.
    Perhaps - But my point is valid enough.

If you accept a title and then want drop it when you're one of the few potential candidates to be PM then something is amiss.
    Being honest about going to a private school and advertising the facthe is a knight of the realm isn't going to help Labour's efforts to contrast themselves with the Tories as out of touch posh boys though
    Labour obsess about this too much though - The northern working class don't really give a toss , the only thing that gets their back up is faking it . If you look at Boris's biggest fans it is the northern working class precisely because they find Boris genuine (in the sense of not trying to hide who he is ) and not patronising
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I see the Lobby are bleating about trees falling and bringing down 25KV power lines. Perhaps Network Rail might let them know how long it takes to repair the wires.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited October 2021

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

If SKS want's to just be known as Keir Starmer in the chamber he should have the good grace to relinquish his title.

What's it to you?
    I'm anti Blair's party and fairly sure Keith is utilising loopholes so that he comes across as more common for the sake of working class votes.

If you accept a title and then want drop it when you're one of the few potential candidates to be PM then something is amiss.
    Being honest about going to a private school and advertising the facthe is a knight of the realm isn't going to help Labour's efforts to contrast themselves with the Tories as out of touch posh boys though
    Labouor obsess about this too much though - The northern working class dont really give a toss , the only thing that gets their back is is faking it . If you look at Boris's biggest fans it is the nothern working class precisely because they find Boris genuine (in the sense of not trying to hide who he is ) and not patronising
    I completely agree. The contortions Sir Keir's fans twist themselves into because they are so desperate for him to be seen as legit working class are ludicrous. The plain fact is that, if you are going to sell yourselves as the other side of the coin to lofty elites, having a privately educated Knight of the Realm, best known for trying to thwart Brexit, as your front man is a tough ask
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Would you be happy calling me Shooter then?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I have a PhD.

I insist you all refer to be as Dr Alistair.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Hello Doc.....now, about my back.....
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

eristdoof said:

"Getting to a world cup semi final and the final of the Euros doesn’t count."
    It's more than enough if your name is Sir Bobby Robson.

Bobby Robson never got us to the final of the Euros.
    Which is why I said "more than enough"

@tlg86 I agree with you. If Southgate carries on in a similar way then a knighthood when he retires would be deserved. Then again it's not something I care about either way. There are more important things to woory about than who gets a knighthood.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

I'll try my best Dr Alistair.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

@tlg86 I agree with you. If Southgate carries on in a similar way then a knighthood when he retires would be deserved. Then again it's not something I care about either way. There are more important things to woory about than who gets a knighthood.
    It's interesting to wonder, would a big club go for Southgate off the back of his record with England? I suspect the answer is "probably not".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,114
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

What happens if we don't? Do you doc us some likes or something?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited October 2021
    Lovely article by Andrew Rawnsley today in which he manages without effort to assert that the Tories are overtaxing and underspending simultaneously. A masterclass in how to write for the Guardian/Observer audience while saying nothing of any interest or use whatever.

TBF Rawnsley is usually better than this piece of egregious rubbish. But it's noticeable that this is the standard line from critics of this government at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/31/mr-sunak-rising-taxes-and-soaring-prices-do-not-add-up-to-an-age-of-optimism
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

It's interesting to wonder, would a big club go for Southgate off the back of his record with England? I suspect the answer is "probably not".
    Spurs might, hearing Nuno might get sacked today.

The one thing that isn't discussed enough, the turgid nature of Southgate's England's style of play.

I know I'm spoiled at Liverpool with Klopp's sexy football. Southgate's teams put me to sleep.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Dr Who?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Ah, the actual consequences are a matter for further research so I cannot answer that question as it is outside the scope of my thesis.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Would you be happy calling me Shooter then?
    "Have you ever had sex on cocaine, Nick?" :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2021

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

The one thing that isn't discussed enough, the turgid nature of Southgate's England's style of play.

I know I'm spoiled at Liverpool with Klopp's sexy football Southgate's teams put me to sleep.
    Completely agree. So boring. I’d love to see him at Spurs, but don’t think they’d have him
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    algarkirk said:

Lovely article by Andrew Rawnsley today in which he manages without effort to assert that the Tories are overtaxing and underspending simultaneously. A masterclass in how to write for the Guardian/Observer audience while saying nothing of any interest or use whatever.

TBF Rawnsley is usually better than this piece of egregious rubbish. But it's noticeable that this is the standard line from critics of this government at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/31/mr-sunak-rising-taxes-and-soaring-prices-do-not-add-up-to-an-age-of-optimism

Interesting. I read it as a warning to Sunak and co that the voters will soon notice how shit it all is.

Related, there's a piece by Halligan in Telegraph warning that all Sunak's plans rest on growth of 6% a year this and next.

What could possibly go wrong.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Quick, doctor! The baby's on the way!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,067
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

I’ve got one art O Level.

It did nothing for me,
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

I know I'm spoiled at Liverpool with Klopp's sexy football Southgate's teams put me to sleep.
    Completely agree. So boring. I’d love to see him at Spurs, but don’t think they’d have him
    He was linked with Manchester United earlier on this month.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1500240/Manchester-United-news-Gareth-Southgate-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

I know I'm spoiled at Liverpool with Klopp's sexy football. Southgate's teams put me to sleep.
    You're counting Spurs as a 'big club' ?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Labouor obsess about this too much though - The northern working class dont really give a toss , the only thing that gets their back is is faking it . If you look at Boris's biggest fans it is the nothern working class precisely because they find Boris genuine (in the sense of not trying to hide who he is ) and not patronising
    I completely agree. The contortions Sir Keir's fans twist themselves into because they are so desperate for him to be seen as legit working class are ludicrous. The plain fact is that, if you are going to sell yourselves as the other side of the coin to lofty elites, having a privately educated Knight of the Realm, best known for trying to thwart Brexit, as your front man is a tough ask
    Don't know about SKS's fans but his haters certainly go to a lot of trouble. Not easy to keep banging on about his "private school education" as if it were remotely akin to toff factory Eton, or to always always always make sure to refer to him as "Sir Keir" in best passive aggressive style, like the bloke passed over for promotion calling his erstwhile mate who got the job "boss" even when they're down the pub, but yet they seem to manage it, these people. Don't they?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,067

Can anyone explain the police's behaviour on Insulate Britain? Why has no-one been charged? Why does the government need to bring in injunctions around protest? Surely there is no need to do this. There must be existing laws around blocking highways that they could be charged under.

I wonder if the government wants an excuse to bring in lots of new anti-protest laws. Maybe the met have been scarred by the Sarah Everard situation. I don't know. I just find it unfathomable.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/24/why-arent-we-in-prison-ask-insulate-britain-protesters

But it’s not just the met policing them, it’s the various forces that are responsible for parts of the M25 too.

I don’t understand the approach either. The protesters appear to be making fools of the police and the party of law and order.

Unfortunately it has led to some people taking matters into their own hands at the policing has been ineffective.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Taz said:

Can anyone explain the police's behaviour on Insulate Britain? Why has no-one been charged? Why does the government need to bring in injunctions around protest? Surely there is no need to do this. There must be existing laws around blocking highways that they could be charged under.

I wonder if the government wants an excuse to bring in lots of new anti-protest laws. Maybe the met have been scarred by the Sarah Everard situation. I don't know. I just find it unfathomable.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/24/why-arent-we-in-prison-ask-insulate-britain-protesters

But it’s not just the met policing them, it’s the various forces that are responsible for parts of the M25 too.

I don’t understand the approach either. The protesters appear to be making fools of the police and the party of law and order.

Unfortunately it has led to some people taking matters into their own hands at the policing has been ineffective.
    Their timing is spot on and they understand what sort of stories the government doesn’t want in the media right now.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

They have the best ground in Europe, after Anfield.

Their training ground is the best in the world.

IIRC Spurs also got to the final of the Champions League a couple of years ago, forget who they lost to.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Plenty of Halloween tat has made it through the Felixstowe container logjam, judging by the stuff festooning so many of the houses round our way.

However, the most sinister item was a home made effort: a body wrapped in black bin bags hanging from a gibbet.

Happy Halloween indeed!

I went to a Halloween party (my first - good fun) and hastily went round to Sainsbury for suitably sinister garb. They had one left, and said their delivery had been cut by 80%.

Huh. Told you Brexit wouldn't work out well.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Don't know about SKS's fans but his haters certainly go to a lot of trouble. Not easy to keep banging on about his "private school education" as if it were remotely akin to toff factory Eton, or to always always always make sure to refer to him as "Sir Keir" in best passive aggressive style, like the bloke passed over for promotion calling his erstwhile mate who got the job "boss" even when they're down the pub, but yet they seem to manage it, these people. Don't they?
    Oh blimey. Sorry to have upset you
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    algarkirk said:

I'm going to disagree - it's not a bad piece and the point about "collective amnesia" is entirely valid. To be a Conservative supporter since 2010 is to have required an almost double-jointed flexibility in terms of policy positions. In all fairness, Government in theory is far easier than Government in practice and it's particularly memorable how Johnson campaigned almost as an opposition leader against a Government in which he served as Foreign Secretary.

The other side of the argument is the old "what would Labour have done differently?" mantra. In an alternate universe where Jeremy Corbyn won in 2019 and John McDonnell had been CoE through Covid, I suspect the largesse would have been as spectacular if not more so - the opposition Conservative line of defence presumably would not be "why aren't you spending more?" but a stolid call for fiscal responsibility disguised as spending cuts.

In truth, the projections on the deficit aren't too bad after this year and perhaps next - we might even run a small surplus by the end of this Parliament but the damage in terms of debt has been done. In addition, as was pointed out yesterday, the future demands on the State for the provision of welfare for the ageing population are going to be a big issue and the next economic downturn is going to get the deficit building again. Current levels of growth won't be sustained ad infinitum.

The problem is or will be for those looking for sound management of the public finances are the demographics.
  • Options

isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1500240/Manchester-United-news-Gareth-Southgate-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer
    It’s hard to think which clubs supporters would be happy to see him appointed.

Villa? Wolves? Southampton?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Like Solskjaer, I think Southgate is best suited to being a Director of Football/Sporting Director rather than Head Coach/Manager.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    algarkirk said:

This is, of course, because the Observer is a tax-and-spend supporting paper, Labour are the tax-and-spend party, and the Tories have driven the proverbial tanks over their flower beds. So what does Labour do? They argue for even higher taxes and/or borrowing than the Government, and end up risking Reeves being portrayed as the spiritual successor to McDonnell; they argue for lower taxes and nobody will take them seriously; or they could argue for different taxes to what the Government has proposed, but seem to lack the will to do so - especially given that the three obvious targets for heavier taxation are property wealth (largely held by the elderly, upon whom we must not shit under any circumstances,) big business (except that Labour trying to harp on about the Tories fucking business over with Brexit, and then promptly proposing to fuck business over with taxes, is somewhat difficult,) or simply throwing their hands up in the air and pledging to cricket bat most of the adult population with substantially higher rates of income tax to get public spending closer to Scandinavian levels. None of these options seems especially promising from the point of view of increasing their electability.

The Tories have successfully managed to align themselves with the position of a majority of the electorate, and especially that of the huge cohort of older votes who turn out enthusiastically, on both social and economic matters. It is small wonder that Labour is behind in the sainted opinion polls in mid-term against an administration still trying to crawl out of the mire of one of the biggest and most expensive disasters in the country's peacetime history. How do Labour get back in the game? Pray that inflation becomes a stubborn feature of the economic landscape rather than a transitory blip, I reckon. Absent that the Government looks like it should win the next election easily.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Just back from my lunchtime constitutional round the streets of East Ham. Regrettably, that cultural abomination, "trick or treat" looks to be getting another outing. I suppose had this morning's rain fallen this evening we'd have been spared much of it.

I suppose I could drone on ad nauseam and ad infinitum about the insidious Americanisation of Britain but what would be the point? The Europeans are both the new and the old enemy and because the US are not much cop at football, cricket or rugby (excluding 1950 in Brazil I imagine) we don't have the faux enmity on the sporting field we enjoy with the Australians, Canadians, West Indians and New Zealanders.

I missed this morning's discussion on immigration - in my part of London, probably one of the cheapest, the arrival of workers from other parts of the EU after 2005 had an immediate impact. The early arrivals were the Poles and the Lithuanians (to a much lesser extent, Latvians and Estonians for some reason) and before long we had specialist food shops and the like for the growing community which initially soaked up the rental market and in time went into the home ownership market.

Most of them have now gone - some have been absorbed into the community no doubt but my suspicion is the wage differential which brought them here (especially the skilled workers) has disappeared and they can now earn the kind of money in Poland they could in the UK - one of the benefits of the Single Market some might argue, the equalisation of incomes and costs.

The second wave of incomers has been the Romanians and Bulgarians and they are now in East Ham. They too now have their specialist food shops, barber shops and the like and a network of vans to carry goods and people from the UK to Romania and Bulgaria.

Has the UK leaving the EU made a big difference? Not really - most either applied legally for settled status or exist under the radar. We know the housing issues this has caused - multiple occupancy in homes, illegal dwellings in gardens etc. There's also rough sleeping especially in summer. However, there seems no doubt the wage differential between the UK and Romania/Bulgaria remains considerable.

One side trend I have noticed is there was at one point quite an influx of sub-Saharan Africans primarily from the former Portuguese colonies who seemed to be able to enter the EU via Portugal and come to the UK. That has been turned off by the decision to leave the EU.

All of this, in my area, is dwarfed by the population movements within the Tamil and Muslim communities as people come and go from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

There are sluggish signs East Ham and Barking are moving "up" with the construction of new blocks of flats bringing a new wave of younger people into the area albeit for most of them on a rental or shared equity basis.

That's an interesting point you made about the 'Southern Europeans' being actually migrants to Southern European countries. Well you mentioned Portugal but I suspect the same applies to Spain etc.

I've been curious as to the large increase in employment from those countries.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    isam said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Bobby Robson went to PSV after England, which feels about the right level for Southgate.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Taz said:

It feels like various police forces arbitrarily decide not to enforce the law for political purposes sometimes. It is crazy they dedicate resources to policing offence on Twitter but ignore people blocking highways.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Bobby Robson went to PSV after England, which feels about the right level for Southgate.
    The Netherlander league was where Steve McClaren ended up after his England sojourn.

Both ended up winning the league there.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

This is, of course, because the Observer is a tax-and-spend supporting paper, Labour are the tax-and-spend party, and the Tories have driven the proverbial tanks over their flower beds. So what does Labour do? They argue for even higher taxes and/or borrowing than the Government, and end up risking Reeves being portrayed as the spiritual successor to McDonnell; they argue for lower taxes and nobody will take them seriously; or they could argue for different taxes to what the Government has proposed, but seem to lack the will to do so - especially given that the three obvious targets for heavier taxation are property wealth (largely held by the elderly, upon whom we must not shit under any circumstances,) big business (except that Labour trying to harp on about the Tories fucking business over with Brexit, and then promptly proposing to fuck business over with taxes, is somewhat difficult,) or simply throwing their hands up in the air and pledging to cricket bat most of the adult population with substantially higher rates of income tax to get public spending closer to Scandinavian levels. None of these options seems especially promising from the point of view of increasing their electability.

The Tories have successfully managed to align themselves with the position of a majority of the electorate, and especially that of the huge cohort of older votes who turn out enthusiastically, on both social and economic matters. It is small wonder that Labour is behind in the sainted opinion polls in mid-term against an administration still trying to crawl out of the mire of one of the biggest and most expensive disasters in the country's peacetime history. How do Labour get back in the game? Pray that inflation becomes a stubborn feature of the economic landscape rather than a transitory blip, I reckon. Absent that the Government looks like it should win the next election easily.
    RE:inflation

It's time for the Bank of England to raise rates isn't it?

If they don't then we can write them off as Labourites?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

If they don't then we can right them off as Labourites?
    Absolutely, we savers have been persecuted for too long with really low interest rates.

The BoE need to push interest rates up to 10% help us savers recover.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

No, just not independent like we are led to believe.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

I would say so. Time to raise rates.

Although, Danny Blanchflower, no right wing economist, said the energy cost spike heralds a recession if you look at the historical record.

Stagflation time?
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Absolutely, we savers have been persecuted for too long with really low interest rates.

I'd be all for that - I only use my credit card as back up but the rate is in the 30pc,

This near zero foolishness isn't helping anyone.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

They have the best ground in Europe, after Anfield.

Their training ground is the best in the world.

IIRC Spurs also got to the final of the Champions League a couple of years ago, forget who they lost to.
    How many times have Spurs been champions of England ?

And were any of those during your lifetime.

Spurs are like Newcastle, Everton and Leeds - a club which has to claim to be a big club because its achievements happened multiple decades ago.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    stodge said:

algarkirk said:

I'm going to disagree - it's not a bad piece and the point about "collective amnesia" is entirely valid. To be a Conservative supporter since 2010 is to have required an almost double-jointed flexibility in terms of policy positions. In all fairness, Government in theory is far easier than Government in practice and it's particularly memorable how Johnson campaigned almost as an opposition leader against a Government in which he served as Foreign Secretary.

The other side of the argument is the old "what would Labour have done differently?" mantra. In an alternate universe where Jeremy Corbyn won in 2019 and John McDonnell had been CoE through Covid, I suspect the largesse would have been as spectacular if not more so - the opposition Conservative line of defence presumably would not be "why aren't you spending more?" but a stolid call for fiscal responsibility disguised as spending cuts.

In truth, the projections on the deficit aren't too bad after this year and perhaps next - we might even run a small surplus by the end of this Parliament but the damage in terms of debt has been done. In addition, as was pointed out yesterday, the future demands on the State for the provision of welfare for the ageing population are going to be a big issue and the next economic downturn is going to get the deficit building again. Current levels of growth won't be sustained ad infinitum.

The problem is or will be for those looking for sound management of the public finances are the demographics.
    I agree - sometime Rawnsley does tend to pen polemics, but today he does nail the tightrope the government is trying to walk, and the risk they are taking relying upon growth to make their figures come good while all the time Brexit is eating away at the economy under the radar.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

He will pelt you with theses….
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Not yet. The BoE, like the rest of the world's central banks, knows the effects of raising rates upon the colossal pile of debt that governments, companies and private individuals have now accumulated, through the period of sequential disasters since 2008 and their pernicious effects.

I therefore suspect that they'll be very reluctant indeed to see rates rise because of the fear that higher rates will stifle the recovery. Any rises are likely to be slow and modest, and I doubt they'll even get as high as 1% unless we're in for very high inflation and/or a sustained period of inflation.

I still think that the current bout of inflation is transitory, and if a majority on the MPC feels likewise then they'll be in absolutely no hurry to raise bank rate.
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Mmm, I bet. But I'm simply noting your dedication to the cause. Because it's quite something. Poor "Sir" Keir can't do a thing right for you, it seems.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

algarkirk said:

I agree - sometime Rawnsley does tend to pen polemics, but today he does nail the tightrope the government is trying to walk, and the risk they are taking relying upon growth to make their figures come good while all the time Brexit is eating away at the economy under the radar.
    Per capita GDP is not much higher than it was in 2007 yet we are spending a lot more on health and pensions. This is the fundamental issue.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Then simply create a new user and post as @DocAl or some such. Your name is in your hands.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Do people do that Boss thing?

The Sir thing underlines his apparatchik background. Is there an uncooler job in the country than DPP? He is in nominal charge of all police prosecutions including for illegal immigration, smoking the odd spliff and everything else. How does this play wiv da yoof? He is The Man. He is Mr Julie's been working for the Drug Squad.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Not yet. The BoE, like the rest of the world's central banks, knows the effects of raising rates upon the colossal pile of debt that governments, companies and private individuals have now accumulated, through the period of sequential disasters since 2008 and their pernicious effects.

I therefore suspect that they'll be very reluctant indeed to see rates rise because of the fear that higher rates will stifle the recovery. Any rises are likely to be slow and modest, and I doubt they'll even get as high as 1% unless we're in for very high inflation and/or a sustained period of inflation.

I still think that the current bout of inflation is transitory, and if a majority on the MPC feels likewise then they'll be in absolutely no hurry to raise bank rate.
    That all makes sense.

But we've got to get off of these crazy low rates at some point. And IMHO it should be now.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Private households, on average, are actually in the best shape in decades due to reduced spending during the pandemic.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Given that his club management experience consists of three years at Middlesbrough over a decade ago its difficult to guess how well he might do.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

The Sir thing underlines his apparatchik background. Is there an uncooler job in the country than DPP? He is in nominal charge of all police prosecutions including for illegal immigration, smoking the odd spliff and everything else. How does this play wiv da yoof? He is The Man. He is Mr Julie's been working for the Drug Squad.
    You're forgetting the long march through the institutions!

Seriously though I'm sure Keir is no wolf in sheep's clothing. If he was he'd probably use his title as a helpful disguise.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

No. Yet another consideration for the Bank will be that an awful lot of savers have gone into riskier asset classes to get some sort of return on their money. High interest rates will just whack all of them as well as property owners. It will only help those very risk averse savers (mostly old people) who continue to keep all their money in effectively zero return savings accounts.

Now, normally one would expect policies that disproportionately benefit risk averse elderly people to be implemented, but consider: (a) more old people will lose out more heavily on crashing asset prices (i.e. a great chunk disappearing off the value of their houses) than will gain from a few percent per year on their bank savings; and, more importantly, (b) the BoE isn't directly answerable at the ballot box and knows the colossal damage that high interest rates will do to the economy in its present state.

So, whilst one strongly suspects that you are joking in the first place, it's nonetheless the case that the likelihood of anyone getting 5%, let alone 10%, interest on cash in the bank at any point in the foreseeable future is as near as makes no difference to zero.
  • Options
    On an entirely separate matter, I think Biden is currently value for re-election. Afghanistan is increasingly in the rear view mirror, the Delta surge is now declining, that will in turn mean the economy will rapidly return to health, inflation is looking temporary, supply chains are likely to have spare capacity after the Christmas rush, and Biden is about to get two mega-bills passed.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    edited October 2021
    Aslan said:

pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Private households, on average, are actually in the best shape in decades due to reduced spending during the pandemic.
    Is that true?

Edit to add:

It's quite possible that the median household has seen an improvement, while the total stock of household debt has risen. (I.e. most families are better off, but there are a few who are a lot worse off.) It's also possible this exaggerates the issue because the denominator (GDP) fell by 5 or 6 points.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

That's an interesting point you made about the 'Southern Europeans' being actually migrants to Southern European countries. Well you mentioned Portugal but I suspect the same applies to Spain etc.

Just before the pandemic, we had a cafe and a couple of food shops open in East Ham tailored to the sub-Saharan African community from the former Portuguese colonies so places like Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique etc.

I did a little research and found there were bi-lateral arrangements set up after Portugal withdrew from these areas in 1975 which enabled the citizens of these countries to apply for Portuguese citizenship.

Once in Portugal and therefore inside the EU, they could travel within the Union (as it was) and could come to Britain for work, education etc.

I presume with the coming of the pandemic and the UK no longer being part of the EU, those who had come here have left - the cafe and food shops have closed.

I do not know if a similar arrangement existed for Spain's former African colonies - there was a Spanish Morocco until the late 50s but that has reduced to just Ceuta and Melilla. In addition, there have been documented reports of African refugees seeking to reach the Canary Islands - a number unfortunately have been lost in the dangerous waters (it's roughly 60 miles from the Moroccan coast).

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,070
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Mmm, I bet. But I'm simply noting your dedication to the cause. Because it's quite something. Poor "Sir" Keir can't do a thing right for you, it seems.
    Has anyone ever seen Isam and Paul Gambacinni in the same room?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @Aslan - Trading Economics has the data to the end of Q1 - https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/households-debt-to-gdp

And here's the total sum of household debt - https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/united-kingdom/household-debt

It shows a pretty big jump during the pandemic, so it's clearly not all denominator related.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Aslan said:

On an entirely separate matter, I think Biden is currently value for re-election. Afghanistan is increasingly in the rear view mirror, the Delta surge is now declining, that will in turn mean the economy will rapidly return to health, inflation is looking temporary, supply chains are likely to have spare capacity after the Christmas rush, and Biden is about to get two mega-bills passed.

There's something in this, I always thought the attacks from the right on Afghanistan were somewhat synthetic and not very weighty. However, I'd still lay Biden at 4/1 if I wanted my money tied up for years.
  • Options

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Just back from my lunchtime constitutional round the streets of East Ham. Regrettably, that cultural abomination, "trick or treat" looks to be getting another outing. I suppose had this morning's rain fallen this evening we'd have been spared much of it.

I suppose I could drone on ad nauseam and ad infinitum about the insidious Americanisation of Britain but what would be the point? The Europeans are both the new and the old enemy and because the US are not much cop at football, cricket or rugby (excluding 1950 in Brazil I imagine) we don't have the faux enmity on the sporting field we enjoy with the Australians, Canadians, West Indians and New Zealanders.

I missed this morning's discussion on immigration - in my part of London, probably one of the cheapest, the arrival of workers from other parts of the EU after 2005 had an immediate impact. The early arrivals were the Poles and the Lithuanians (to a much lesser extent, Latvians and Estonians for some reason) and before long we had specialist food shops and the like for the growing community which initially soaked up the rental market and in time went into the home ownership market.

Most of them have now gone - some have been absorbed into the community no doubt but my suspicion is the wage differential which brought them here (especially the skilled workers) has disappeared and they can now earn the kind of money in Poland they could in the UK - one of the benefits of the Single Market some might argue, the equalisation of incomes and costs.

The second wave of incomers has been the Romanians and Bulgarians and they are now in East Ham. They too now have their specialist food shops, barber shops and the like and a network of vans to carry goods and people from the UK to Romania and Bulgaria.

Has the UK leaving the EU made a big difference? Not really - most either applied legally for settled status or exist under the radar. We know the housing issues this has caused - multiple occupancy in homes, illegal dwellings in gardens etc. There's also rough sleeping especially in summer. However, there seems no doubt the wage differential between the UK and Romania/Bulgaria remains considerable.

One side trend I have noticed is there was at one point quite an influx of sub-Saharan Africans primarily from the former Portuguese colonies who seemed to be able to enter the EU via Portugal and come to the UK. That has been turned off by the decision to leave the EU.

All of this, in my area, is dwarfed by the population movements within the Tamil and Muslim communities as people come and go from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

There are sluggish signs East Ham and Barking are moving "up" with the construction of new blocks of flats bringing a new wave of younger people into the area albeit for most of them on a rental or shared equity basis.

Yes, there are communities of Portuguese Gujerati origin, Dutch Somali and Italian Indians* in Leicester. It seems to not have been a short term stay in their European countries though, often ten or more years.

*The woman who sells me the the best samosas in the city speaks Italian and Punjabi.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Given how long Delta is taking to work its way through the UK I suspect that the USA has a long way still to go.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

It will only help those very risk averse savers (mostly old people) who continue to keep all their money in effectively zero return savings accounts.

Effectively minus 2/3 pc surely?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383
    Halloween tweet of the day.

Turns out that knowledge of Bayesian statistics really spoils the experience of watching some of the “Final Destination” movies for Halloween.
    https://twitter.com/curiouswavefn/status/1454863013928861707
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    JBriskin3 said:

I keep forgetting to call him Sir Lewis Hamilton

Evening...
  • Options
    MattW said:

JBriskin3 said:

I keep forgetting to call him Sir Lewis Hamilton

Evening...
    Evening. Yes it's true I forget to call Sir Lewis Sir Lewis cus he's very much still a contender - And I don't think the commentators tend to refer him that way.

Not sure how Sir Andy SNP type managed to wangle one given his political views.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Nigelb said:

Halloween tweet of the day.

Turns out that knowledge of Bayesian statistics really spoils the experience of watching some of the “Final Destination” movies for Halloween.
    https://twitter.com/curiouswavefn/status/1454863013928861707

Can only be because the plots are preposterous. Presumably.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,850
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

@Aslan - Trading Economics has the data to the end of Q1 - https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/households-debt-to-gdp

And here's the total sum of household debt - https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/united-kingdom/household-debt

It shows a pretty big jump during the pandemic, so it's clearly not all denominator related.

Is it showing an increase in mortgage debt, as people have moved house during the pandemic, especially in and around the most expensive areas of the country?

Mortgage debt will be a severely laggy indicator of increasing house prices over decades - and is not particularly indicative of a problem, in the same way as a rise in credit card debt or personal loans might be.
  • Options
    It's quite interesting watching all the EU-enthusiast types flouncing away from following the politico.eu because they published an unacceptable article by unacceptable Alex Wickham, involving an alleged mistranslation of Macron's Prime Minster's (Castex?) letter to UVDL.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1454741804054630400

A note to say I will no longer be using
    @politico
    as a mainstream news source in future unless it’s reporting is corroborated by a 2nd source.

The @alexwickham scandal involving doubling down on fake translation of the French Brexit/fishing issue is not respectable journalism.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

The boss thing? Oh yes. Come across it a few times. Although not actually a great readacross to isam's "Sir Keir" - that's more a bit more subtle and also slightly different. Still, main thing is he stops doing it and I'm sure he will now he knows it annoys me.

Yes, the K is interesting. You'd have thought that having got it for genuine graft rather than etherea would mean it's an asset. But it isn't and some of that is down to what you say - DPP has a stasi bloodless functionary vibe to it. Bright side though is that maybe older folk like it. More respect for authority, more on the side of cops over robbers. Maybe.

But the thing that really gets me is this "oiks prefer authentic toffs to upwardly mobile ex oiks". Hate that notion. I wouldn't if it didn't have some truth to it but I fear it does. In fact I know it does.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sir Ed Davey.
    Sir Ed Davey may be calling him Sir.
  • Options
    MattW said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sir Ed Davey.
    His party may call him Sir Plustorequirements first.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Quick, doctor! The baby's on the way!
    Doesn't work for Europols, since some of them have copied their dissertations out of books :wink:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Just for all you PB monarchists:

Sunil Prasannan, BSc. (Hons.), PhD, ARCS
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

No, just not independent like we are led to believe.
    Be amazed if they don't raise in Nov. It would be really odd.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

Virginia betting news

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1454832378829025283?t=KovSamOtR2iQ7E8ihS894A&s=19

The early vote is more rural and older than 2020 and 2017

McAuliffe is sending me more and more desperate emails
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

But the thing that really gets me is this "oiks prefer authentic toffs to upwardly mobile ex oiks". Hate that notion. I wouldn't if it didn't have some truth to it but I fear it does. In fact I know it does.
    Yes, I think there is something to that. Class privilege is well established in Britain, but there is something of a threat in an upwardly mobile person ascending to the top. It rather throws the spotlight on why the observer remains an "oik".

I think that this is part of the reason that some PBers focus so much on proving that Starmer has benefited from privilege at school etc.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

Just for all you PB monarchists:

Sunil Prasannan, BSc. (Hons.), PhD, ARCS
    Yes yes Doc - we all know that the only real Doctor we have is Foxy
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Sir Ed Davey.
    His party may call him Sir Plustorequirements first.
    When he was 8 (ish), he played El-ahrairah (the spiritual overseer of all rabbits - suitable for LibDem leader, no?) in Watership Down and he got to be called "Lord" by all the other rabbits.

And that's nearly my last repeatable Ed Davey anecdote.
  • Options

Team Macron: we agreed to try to stop disagreeing
    Team Johnson: oh no we didn’t

https://twitter.com/TimRoss_1/status/1454818145731063814?s=20

"Recollections may vary"....

It sounds more like Macron agreed to back down and then put out a statement claiming "mutual de-escalation" as a way to save face.
    Macron hasn't said much on the issue outside the FT interview - Clement Beaune has been making the running:

https://twitter.com/CBeaune/status/1454739841380405248?s=20
    I think “around 90%” is a stretch when the real number is 98%…

And he might like to reflect on if it’s only the French that can’t provide the data maybe it was only the French who were breaking the rules historically?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

Virginia betting news

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/1454832378829025283?t=KovSamOtR2iQ7E8ihS894A&s=19

The early vote is more rural and older than 2020 and 2017

McAuliffe is sending me more and more desperate emails
    Let's Go Brandon!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

It did nothing for me,
    Don't worry, I got an art degree and it did feck all for me.
    Apart from forming my world view somewhat.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Taz said:

Alistair said:

I have a PhD.

It did nothing for me,
    Don't worry, I got an art degree and it did feck all for me.
    Apart from forming my world view somewhat.
    If that's where SNP Type syndrome starts I'm for abolishing Art's Degrees
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

The boss thing? Oh yes. Come across it a few times. Although not actually a great readacross to isam's "Sir Keir" - that's more a bit more subtle and also slightly different. Still, main thing is he stops doing it and I'm sure he will now he knows it annoys me.

Yes, the K is interesting. You'd have thought that having got it for genuine graft rather than etherea would mean it's an asset. But it isn't and some of that is down to what you say - DPP has a stasi bloodless functionary vibe to it. Bright side though is that maybe older folk like it. More respect for authority, more on the side of cops over robbers. Maybe.

If it makes you feel better Orwell makes this point in Down and Out; he says English tramps don't envy successful professionals because they have an instinctive revulsion for the hard work and self discipline involved in becoming one.
  • Options

Plenty of Halloween tat has made it through the Felixstowe container logjam, judging by the stuff festooning so many of the houses round our way.

However, the most sinister item was a home made effort: a body wrapped in black bin bags hanging from a gibbet.

Happy Halloween indeed!

I went to a Halloween party (my first - good fun) and hastily went round to Sainsbury for suitably sinister garb. They had one left, and said their delivery had been cut by 80%.

Huh. Told you Brexit wouldn't work out well.
    If they still had one left, it sounds like a good thing :smile:
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Indeed - the farce has to stop - He should be known as SKS in the chamber or relnquish the title.
    You never use people’s name in the Commons

Your average MP is a “honourable member”

A privy counsellor is a “right honourable member”

With SKS I don’t know if he would qualify as a “learned” (lawyer - but might be QC or judge not just DPP) or “gallant”… (I know it’s military but maybe a knight would count…)

[I know they’ve been dropped, but imagine calling LOTO the Right Honourable, Learned and Gallant member for Holborn and St Pancras)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Charles said:

JBriskin3 said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Indeed - the farce has to stop - He should be known as SKS in the chamber or relnquish the title.
    You never use people’s name in the Commons

Your average MP is a “honourable member”

A privy counsellor is a “right honourable member”

With SKS I don’t know if he would qualify as a “learned” (lawyer - but might be QC or judge not just DPP) or “gallant”… (I know it’s military but maybe a knight would count…)

[I know they’ve been dropped, but imagine calling LOTO the Right Honourable, Learned and Gallant member for Holborn and St Pancras)
    The speaker refers to MPs by their name - so you're factually incorrect.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

It will only help those very risk averse savers (mostly old people) who continue to keep all their money in effectively zero return savings accounts.

Accounting for inflation, yes - and things may get worse before they get better, of course.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,245
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

I think you are confusing two things

- The kind who pretend to be toffs but actually went to the local comp. Invariably wankers in the 1st degree.
    - The new Upper 10,000. "And the load of their loveless pity is worse than the ancient wrongs, Their doors are shut in the evening; and they know no songs".
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

Yes, I think there is something to that. Class privilege is well established in Britain, but there is something of a threat in an upwardly mobile person ascending to the top. It rather throws the spotlight on why the observer remains an "oik".

I think that this is part of the reason that some PBers focus so much on proving that Starmer has benefited from privilege at school etc.
    I would say that social class is of declining significance in determining privilege. Other factors are more important, for instance inherited wealth; which is different to class.

• Options
    pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Accounting for inflation, yes - and things may get worse before they get better, of course.
    Negative Rates? :neutral:
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

At odds, too, with 'working class aspiration' in its Thatcherite spirit of getting on and UP. Wanting your kids to do better than you, to make that jump. With this attitude you'd rather they didn't. It's actually more in line with the trad left collectivist call of "rise WITH your class not out of it." Yet it benefits the Tories atm. Strange and messy world.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

JBriskin3 said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

Negative Rates? :neutral:
    No, higher inflation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Is it showing an increase in mortgage debt, as people have moved house during the pandemic, especially in and around the most expensive areas of the country?

Mortgage debt will be a severely laggy indicator of increasing house prices over decades - and is not particularly indicative of a problem, in the same way as a rise in credit card debt or personal loans might be.
    So, the Bank of England did a piece this year on Household Debt and Covid.

The conclusions are (roughly) that the middle classes with stable incomes saw their savings rates increase, and they paid down debt. But that those on hourly wages and with lower incomes did not.

According to the piece, another contributor to the rising household debt number is people with mortgages choosing to defer payments.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's it to you?

At odds, too, with 'working class aspiration' in its Thatcherite spirit of getting on and UP. Wanting your kids to do better than you, to make that jump. With this attitude you'd rather they didn't. It's actually more in line with the trad left collectivist call of "rise WITH your class not out of it." Yet it benefits the Tories atm. Strange and messy world.
    Look, compared to the last three, maybe even the last seven labour leaders, Kier's ok. I think he's been on the wrong side of the argument on many, many times, but from my perspective that's what I'd expect of a Labour leader. But - didn't his dad own a toolmaking business? He's hardly starting out of the rough streets of Harpurhey (feel free to insert your own local equivalent). I don't object to that, of course. But accusations that people are trying to paint you as middle class when you actually are middle class feel a bit misty.
    I may be wrong about his background, but my understanding was that his background is fairly middling.
This discussion has been closed.