Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks on why London is different and why Sadiq Kha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks on why London is different and why Sadiq Khan should win comfortably

London is different.  We often hear that.  But just how different is it?  London’s Mayoral election is due in May.  With no incumbent, we are set for a fight between two rather less charismatic figures than before; neither Zac Goldsmith nor Sadiq Khan yet have the first name recognition or the tabloid quotability of the two previous office-holders.  Default party support is going to be more impo…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    edited January 2016
    All seems very sensible. Thanks, Mr Meeks.

London seems to be Labour's only hope of something good happening for them this year. They should be piling resources into it.

As an aside, excepting the proposed union funding changes, do we have any idea what Labour's financial state is?

Edit: and Thirst. After sixteen days with no alcohol, I am rather thirsty. ;)
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2016
    First ..... again!

Edit - almost, darn it.
  • Options

First ..... again!

Edit - almost, darn it.

Sorry!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    FPT:

Memorial Scottish Subsample Tory Surge Post:

Comres:
    Con: 19
    Lab: 10
    LD: 13
    UKIP: 8
    Greem: 3
    SNP: 47

http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SM_IoS_Jan2016_tables.pdf

On a more serious note.....the Midlands numbers (Con: 48, Lab: 25) are dire for Lab.....

And

Among Labour voters, Corbyn's numbers are better than the Labour party's:

Party is United (net): -45
    Corbyn make good PM (net) : +30

Of course, nowhere near as good as Cameron's among Con voters:

Party is United (net): +48
    Cameron is good PM (net) : +73

But the Labour problem would appear to be more dis-unity than Corbyn.....

This message was brought to you by Tories for Corbyn.....

Unfortunately ComRes does not do a London breakout.....
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    "Unless Sadiq Khan crashes and burns or Zac Goldsmith dazzles with his personality, they can expect to win comfortably. "

The ultimate partnership!
  • Options
    AndypetAndypet Posts: 36
    Two things that seem to be missing from the above analysis are the impact of second preference votes and the fact that the Conservative vote share at 2010 and 2015 general elections held fairly steady at 35% in London.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Two points.
    1. Despite London's population 'consistently growing' it has been losing MPs even in the context of an increase in the size of the House of Commons. Back in the early 1970s there were 100 London MPs compared with just 73 today.
    2. There have been years when the Tories have outperformed in London compared with the national picture. For instance, they made significant gains in 1987 despite falling back a bit elsewhere compared with 1983.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Off topic, Andrew Rawnsley gives his readers advice that will look very familiar to readers of this site:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/17/opinion-polls-matter-despite-wrong-predictions-general-election
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Re OP's first paragraph -- to have been a fly on the wall at the Bilderberg Group meeting when Labour and Conservative grandees met, noted the prior successes of Ken and Boris, both with massive profiles (and egos) before standing for mayor, and decided the ideal men to follow were Sadiq Khan and Zac Goldsmith: barely household names in their own kitchens.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

London seems to be Labour's only hope of something good happening for them this year. They should be piling resources into it.

As an aside, excepting the proposed union funding changes, do we have any idea what Labour's financial state is?

The Labour Party for the first time in decades has no overdraft.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Off topic, Andrew Rawnsley gives his readers advice that will look very familiar to readers of this site:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/17/opinion-polls-matter-despite-wrong-predictions-general-election

Didn't tim, late ? of this parish routinely rubbish popularity figures as a means of determining elections?
  • Options

That's an interesting article.
    If not polling, what? Conversations with random folk down the pub? Tea leaves? Tarot cards? Chicken entrails? Recruiting Mr Spock to mind meld with the nation? What your mates are saying on Facebook and Twitter? I really wouldn’t rely on that as an accurate guide to what the country as a whole is thinking. Depending on the politicians to get it right would be another reckless way of trying to forecast electoral futures. Ed Miliband thought he was going to win last May; David Cameron believed he was out; most Lib Dem MPs reckoned they were going to hold their seats. Wrong, wrong, all wrong.
    There are two problems with this:

1) GIGO. If the polling is garbage, any conclusions and plans you make from it will also be garbage. This is especially true when a few percentage points can make a massive difference to the number of seats. If anything, garbage produced by a reputable firm is dangerous.

2) We saw an example of a pollster not publishing a poll because it did not line up with the results from other pollsters. The problems such behaviour causes are obvious.

Given these, we might as well use Twitter or tarot cards. We cannot even be sure if the aggregate trend in the polls before the GE were correct, as can be seen from the people who still cling to the 'Tory surge' argument.

Polling of the type we saw before the GE is obviously not fit for purpose, even if it does provoke lots of conversations.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Thanks. How did this situation come about?
  • Options

surbiton said:

NO overdraft is not the same as no debts.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Another massive (20%) Don't know figure for the EuroRef in an online poll.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited January 2016
    Unless the overdraft was paid off then it must have been converted into a loan..same shit..just another name for it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

surbiton said:

All the three quidders and an uptick in membership subscriptions in London?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Could be a Pyrrhic victory, though.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Credit no good?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

surbiton said:

There was a massive bet on Jeremy Corbyn to become leader of the labour party, apparently
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

There was a massive bet on Jeremy Corbyn to become leader of the labour party, apparently
    What sort of idiot would bet on that? It'd never happen... ;)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

At 0552 I would recommend tea rather than an alcoholic beverage if thirsty!

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    The huge, in your face, gap between rich and poor, is what fuels Labour support in London.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Alistair EU Ref Polling Law

Here is my working theory on EU ref polling.

If it is online add the don't know figure to Remain.
    If it is a phone poll then add don't know to Leave.

This seems to give the same final result.
  • Options

At 0552 I would recommend tea rather than an alcoholic beverage if thirsty!
    Even I'm not quite that desperate! I mean, desperate for tea in the morning. It has to be coffee ...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    SF..You must know a different London to the one I lived in for over twenty year and now visit regularly to stay in and work..
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If anything, 20% undecided sounds on the low side; in any event, I am one of them. Not only do I not know how I will vote, but I have absolutely no idea on what criteria I shall decide. Neither side has made a compelling case for anything at all, or even an uncompelling one.
  • Options

SF..You must know a different London to the one I lived in for over twenty year and now visit regularly to stay in and work..

I also lived in London for many years, and work there.
  • Options
    SF So where do you see the massive inyer face gap in wealth...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

surbiton said:

The party's been quite frugal - we were easily outspent at the GE, after a strategic decision to focus on debt reduction (I know, the ironies are obvious). I don't think that much of it is due to conversion into loans - the big donors are more, not less, cautious than in the past. Obviously the inflow of membership helps too.

On topic, as a habitual optimist, I remain cautious about Labour in London. Individual voter registration is an issue here because the population is intensely mobile, and registering to vote is not a priority for most people. I don't think the Tube strikes are a big issue - people treat them like the occasional bout of bad weather, bloody nuisance but not something to change votes. But the Khan lead in the polls isn't huge, so I think it's close to a toss-up.

Thanks to Hopi Sen on the last thread for the very kind personal note, even though we so disagree about the national scene - it's personally reciprocated! There's always scope for friendly people to be wrong, and perhaps one day we'll look back and agree on who it was.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all. Yeh, London is different with only a meagre fall of snow, so far. :( I wanted to play snowballs and it's hard with only half a centimetre of snow in Hackney.
  • Options

Didn't tim, late ? of this parish routinely rubbish popularity figures as a means of determining elections?
    If he did, tim may well have been right. What Rawnsley has done is say the polls are rubbish but if we dig into the sub-samples and supplementaries we can pick out one or two indicators which did predict the result. Trouble is, it may just be coincidence. What were the favourability and competence ratings like in parts of the country that swung to Labour, to Conservative, to SNP and so on? What about the under-polled older voters? Why does their absence matter for headline figures but not for supplementaries?

Even if Rawnsley's conclusion is right, his reasoning is nonsense on stilts.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Whilst taking Alastair's point about the London electorate changing faster than average this analysis reminds us once again how remarkable Boris's victories were. Labour chose a poor extreme left candidate and the Tories chose someone who could reach beyond the true blues and charm or scare them into voting for him.

Surely there are major lessons there for 2020.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning all. Yeh, London is different with only a meagre fall of snow, so far. :( I wanted to play snowballs and it's hard with only half a centimetre of snow in Hackney.

Portstewart has no snow this morning.
  • Options

Bishops' Avenue, Hampstead Town, South Kensington, Chelsea, Blackheath Village, Canary Wharf, at one end of the scale Seven Sisters, Peckham, Elephant & Castle, Mile End, Stonebridge Park, Colindale at the other. And within plenty of wards, luxury gated developments, and 18th century mansions, next to grotty social housing.

It's borne out in Alistair's figures. The highest GVA in the country along with the highest concentration of poverty.
  • Options
    We have not had a lot of snow but our grass has been covered since Wednesday and it shows little sign of shifting.

A little bit of winter does not go amiss.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    DavidL said:

Whilst taking Alastair's point about the London electorate changing faster than average this analysis reminds us once again how remarkable Boris's victories were. Labour chose a poor extreme left candidate and the Tories chose someone who could reach beyond the true blues and charm or scare them into voting for him.

Surely there are major lessons there for 2020.

Labour chose the incumbent who'd already won twice; first time as an independent beating both Labour and Conservative candidates. And a mischievous observer might wonder if Ken really is on the extreme left because although he talks a good game, in practice as mayor, Ken's major achievement was to make London safe for property developers.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Excellent piece Mr Meeks backed up with interesting stats. I agree that Labour will win, unfortunately for them beyond a few party activists not a thing will change, Mayor of London is a completely superfluous role, I mean what does the Mayor do?

I had the misfortune to drive to and from North London yesterday, why anybody would choose to live there is beyond me, the congestion is horrendous.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

On topic, as a habitual optimist, I remain cautious about Labour in London. Individual voter registration is an issue here because the population is intensely mobile, and registering to vote is not a priority for most people. I don't think the Tube strikes are a big issue - people treat them like the occasional bout of bad weather, bloody nuisance but not something to change votes. But the Khan lead in the polls isn't huge, so I think it's close to a toss-up.

The tube strikes may be decisive. Bob Crow did a lot to ease Boris's path to the Gherkin first time round by energising commuters just before the ballot.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I fear instead of a Boris this time the Tories have a rather dull, excessively worthy candidate mainly driven by a sense of self-entitlement. Only Khan can lose this and I don't think he will.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Very good soundbite from Dugher

Michael Dugher on the Labour defence review (MoS) https://t.co/WdGZZZ6zge
  • Options

Alistair said:

If anything, 20% undecided sounds on the low side; in any event, I am one of them. Not only do I not know how I will vote, but I have absolutely no idea on what criteria I shall decide. Neither side has made a compelling case for anything at all, or even an uncompelling one.
    Agree - I'm another "Don't know" - but as I suspect with you it's "I'm thinking about it and I don't yet know which way I'll jump" - whereas I suspect for a lot of voters it's "I haven't thought about it yet - why should I?" And on that basis 20% seems low....
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Maomentum
    Reservoir Dogs prequel slated by critics. https://t.co/4HKXl8DA1b

@Maomentum_ Gerry and the Peacemakers.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Agree - I'm another "Don't know" - but as I suspect with you it's "I'm thinking about it and I don't yet know which way I'll jump" - whereas I suspect for a lot of voters it's "I haven't thought about it yet - why should I?" And on that basis 20% seems low....
    Like others on here you're not undecided you're waiting to see what the PM's position is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Bishops' Avenue, Hampstead Town, South Kensington, Chelsea, Blackheath Village, Canary Wharf, at one end of the scale Seven Sisters, Peckham, Elephant & Castle, Mile End, Stonebridge Park, Colindale at the other. And within plenty of wards, luxury gated developments, and 18th century mansions, next to grotty social housing.

It's borne out in Alistair's figures. The highest GVA in the country along with the highest concentration of poverty.
    It's true, in Hampstead there are massive gaps between millionaires and billionaires.
  • Options

Excellent piece Mr Meeks backed up with interesting stats. I agree that Labour will win, unfortunately for them beyond a few party activists not a thing will change, Mayor of London is a completely superfluous role, I mean what does the Mayor do?

I had the misfortune to drive to and from North London yesterday, why anybody would choose to live there is beyond me, the congestion is horrendous.

Just road works on the A41. They won't be there forever.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

If he did, tim may well have been right. What Rawnsley has done is say the polls are rubbish but if we dig into the sub-samples and supplementaries we can pick out one or two indicators which did predict the result. Trouble is, it may just be coincidence. What were the favourability and competence ratings like in parts of the country that swung to Labour, to Conservative, to SNP and so on? What about the under-polled older voters? Why does their absence matter for headline figures but not for supplementaries?

Rawnsley's logic smacks of classic naive (and flawed) approach to "modeling" by looking back in history and just picking out the indicators from recent history that fit the result.
  • Options
    SF Every large town or City in the world has its armpit areas..I am not aware of the inyer face division as I wander around most UK cities..I can,of course,go looking for the posh bits and then contrast them with the opposite end of the spectrum..but it is not inyer face..
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

MikeK said:

So nice day for a stroll along the strand
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's true, in Hampstead there are massive gaps between millionaires and billionaires.
    Swiss Cottage is a good example of a ward where you have blocks of social housing next to houses worth millions.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited January 2016
    FPT - TSE said:
    » show previous quotes
    Given the near apocalyptic language you used about Lansley's reforms, you get a bit hyperbolic when anyone proposes changes to the NHS.

Alistar said....
    Lansley's reforms completely bajoed the finances of the NHS pushing trusts into deficit. So pretty apocalyptic."

Ahhhh... Mr Alistar, The Labour line of rewriting history and changing the point at which year dot occurs.

How quick you forget Browns utter destruction of the system by use of PFI which "banjoed" the entire trust system for decades to come. The payback terms are eye watering and a number if trusts were almost sent to the wall as a result.
  • Options
    Interview with Corbyn which many here may find elements to agree with, if they temporarily put aside their political dislike:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-interview-labour-leader-on-churches-cats-and-a-nuclear-free-world-a6816991.html
  • Options

Just road works on the A41. They won't be there forever.

Not sure we touched the A41 tbh, driving to White Hart Lane is awful, yesterday we were on the N Circular around kick off time en route to Crouch End, late afternoon on the way back the traffic was dreadful. There's no rush hour in London it's constant and awful.
  • Options
    SF So you equate Social Housing with extreme poverty...why should we build anymore if that is the end result...or are you suggesting we should build million pound social houses..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    On snow: Meg the dog seemed mildly perplexed and quite interested in it this morning.

Got Kai during the first of the two dreadful winters a few years back. When he couldn't go on walks (young pups can't, for fear of disease, until their jabs are done) he had to go in the back garden with the snow higher than his undercarriage. Didn't seem bothered, though.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Swiss Cottage is a good example of a ward where you have blocks of social housing next to houses worth millions.
    That's true in many locations. The difference in London is that everyone is concentrated closer to each other.
  • Options
    Given the inaccuracies of the polls for the GE I wonder if there are some considerable concerns and nervousness about the accuracy of both the London mayor polls as well as the EU referendum?
  • Options

Interview with Corbyn which many here may find elements to agree with, if they temporarily put aside their political dislike:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-interview-labour-leader-on-churches-cats-and-a-nuclear-free-world-a6816991.html

Cats.. Tim will loathe him even more than he already does.
  • Options

Rawnsley's logic smacks of classic naive (and flawed) approach to "modeling" by looking back in history and just picking out the indicators from recent history that fit the result.
    It might be better than looking at the actual data which was utter crap for the main two parties.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Bit that is the paradox. The 'high' don't know figures are for online polls - which give a close result. Phone polls have a tiny don't know figure and have a comfortable Remain lead.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

100 metres in one direction from my house is one of the most expensive houses in London, perhaps worth 150m. 100 metres in another is local authority housing, where you can buy a two bedroom flat for 150k. Two properties, less than 250 metres apart, that differ in price by more than four orders of magnitude
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    The question that I don't believe is covered in this article is this - electoral London covers quite a bit of outer London, where Boris received strong support. These areas could be described as the inner edge of the commuter belt.

This has been described as the doughnut of London politics. The question is how the doughnut as changed in the last 5 years. Do we have any detailed information?

It was quite noticeable at the last Mayoral election that the more... Corbynite Labour supporters claimed that including these areas was wrong, racist, immoral, fattening and that the people living there weren't proper Londoners. Sometimes even before the election.... :-)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

That's true in many locations. The difference in London is that everyone is concentrated closer to each other.
    High levels of long term unemployment, a short bus-ride away from an economy with a labour shortage. It seems very possible to get off the coach from Warsaw and be in employment the next day. Motivation to work has to be the difference.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

FPT - TSE said:
    » show previous quotes
    Given the near apocalyptic language you used about Lansley's reforms, you get a bit hyperbolic when anyone proposes changes to the NHS.

Alistar said....
    Lansley's reforms completely bajoed the finances of the NHS pushing trusts into deficit. So pretty apocalyptic."

Ahhhh... Mr Alistar, The Labour line of rewriting history and changing the point at which year dot occurs.

How quick you forget Browns utter destruction of the system by use of PFI which "banjoed" the entire trust system for decades to come. The payback terms are eye watering and a number if trusts were almost sent to the wall as a result.

I forget nothing, Brown's PFI obsession was disastrous but you'd have to be a blind to think it mere coincidence that acute trusts switched from many years of running surpluses to continually running deficits at exactly the time Lansley's reforms were enacted.
  • Options
    Corbyn reminds me quite strongly of Eugene McCarthy, another anti-war politician who I supported and who had the same mixture of slightly other-worldly idealism and gentle personal charm.

I think that people who only see politics through the media sometimes underestimate the seductiveness of politicians who are unambiguously nice to colleagues. It's a reason why Oliver Letwin continues to flourish despite embarrassing episodes while some talented but less pleasant individuals get overlooked, and it applies lower down the scale too - e.g. Ruth Kelly was never a household name, but she was both clever and determinedly friendly to the most spikey and awkward colleagues: I don't think she ever had an enemy, and she did well at the Treasury until she simply decided to give private life priority.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

O, come on Richard.

The gap between rich and merely well-off is extraordinarily wide and obvious in London.
  • Options

MikeK said:

I wouldn't go quite that far.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited January 2016
    MikeK said:

Just have to go back to throwing rocks, like you do most of the time, then

;)

p.s. just noticed how progressive you were being...using centimetres rather than 1/4 of an inch
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

You for real
  • Options

The question that I don't believe is covered in this article is this - electoral London covers quite a bit of outer London, where Boris received strong support. These areas could be described as the inner edge of the commuter belt.

This has been described as the doughnut of London politics. The question is how the doughnut as changed in the last 5 years. Do we have any detailed information?

It was quite noticeable at the last Mayoral election that the more... Corbynite Labour supporters claimed that including these areas was wrong, racist, immoral, fattening and that the people living there weren't proper Londoners. Sometimes even before the election.... :-)

If anything outer London is moving left, inner London is moving right (with exceptions).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

MikeK said:

I wouldn't go quite that far.
    Fleet Street?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LOS_Fisher: Corbyn says Labour will win over voters with focus on NHS + housing crisis; and by tilting to young people (higher edu, training) #Marr

Why didn't Ed think of that?
  • Options

Corbyn reminds me quite strongly of Eugene McCarthy, another anti-war politician who I supported and who had the same mixture of slightly other-worldly idealism and gentle personal charm.

I think that people who only see politics through the media sometimes underestimate the seductiveness of politicians who are unambiguously nice to colleagues. It's a reason why Oliver Letwin continues to flourish despite embarrassing episodes while some talented but less pleasant individuals get overlooked, and it applies lower down the scale too - e.g. Ruth Kelly was never a household name, but she was both clever and determinedly friendly to the most spikey and awkward colleagues: I don't think she ever had an enemy, and she did well at the Treasury until she simply decided to give private life priority.

Corbyn may be nice enough by himself, but if you judge a man by the company he keeps it all looks very different. Indeed as insincere as any politician around.

Corbyn has not reined in his activists at all when they have harrassed party loyalists not of his taste. The picketing of Stella Creasy's house for example.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

He seems to be as he is generally presented. An agreeable, simple man, with firm core beliefs rooted in his upbringing (his parents seem to have been a big influence on his views), lacking in personal extravagance and genuine in his concerns. Outside of a few rather key areas, it's really only his conclusions that are problematic for me, not his personality or the things he is concerned about.

I was interested that in the bit about him discussing the benefits of his own election, he apparently opens with being able to debate on nuclear weapons. It's an issue I don't necessarily disagree with him on - I'm at least not sold on Trident - but don't think it a vote winner, but it's telling the piece makes it seem that it is absolutely central to him, explaining why he is expending political capital on it rather than other things.

That said, I do note some proper politician responses in there, such as the classic 'no plans to' response to allow yourself the option to take an action later (regarding a potential Peerage for Ken) and also classic distraction from a difficult issue with the 'don't want to talk about internal difficulty x; let's focus on evil actions of opponent's action y'.

I don't criticise either of those responses, btw, he absolutely should be trying to get people focusing on what the government is doing and he shouldn't lock himself into or out of some actions (even if it is something like giving Ken a Peerage), flexibility is important, but it does show both his supporters and his opponents that he does have the standard array of political skills. He may not have been in leadership positions during his time, but he has picked up the sorts of behaviours one has to in the business, he is not a transformative figure in every sense.
  • Options
    Cahrles..both you and SF must walk around other Cities with your eyes closed..
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn confirms Labour would repeal legislation outlawing secondary industrial action.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Maomentum

"I'm Mister Red."

"No - I'M Mister Red!".....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

High levels of long term unemployment, a short bus-ride away from an economy with a labour shortage. It seems very possible to get off the coach from Warsaw and be in employment the next day. Motivation to work has to be the difference.

No it doesn't. It might be; it is undeniably important as the motivation needed to emigrate from Poland should not be underestimated, but there may also be differences in skills, employability, network support, base living costs and so on. My local hospital wants a cardiology locum but I expect it will be interviewing more immigrants with medical degrees than long-term unemployed herberts whose knowledge of drugs stops at the smell of cannabis smoke.
  • Options

That interview's cr@p. Seriously. Put aside your political and personal fondness for Corbyn and re-read it. It's a failed attempt at a hagiography.

And before you try to reiterate your last clause, I defended him over his fondness for manhole covers. He had a point, if poorly put.

Sadly, this article belongs down the drain.
  • Options
    @afneil: Mr Corbyn comes out for return to secondary strikes/picketing on Marr.

@muir_jeffrey: Jeremy Corbyn turning the clock back to the 1970s.
    Remember the winter of discontent, it was the unions bringing down a Labour government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The huge, in your face, gap between rich and poor, is what fuels Labour support in London.

It also fuelled the 2011 riots.

The Conservative position in London has been in decline in London for a generation through the loss of two voting blocks:

1) The Albert Steptoe / Alf Garnett style working class vote in inner London.
    2) The 'Terry and June' lower middle class vote in middle suburbia.

For all the talk of gentrification it has delivered the Conservatives precisely zero seats since Battersea in 1987 although it has made the three Wandsworth constituencies better for them..

And a very good piece by AM.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    This is most amusing, for all the wrong reasons. Written by JeremyCorbyn4PM

https://theworldturnedupsidedownne.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/the-myth-of-jeremy-corbyns-social-media-echo-chamber/
    But as the following Facebook messages show, far from being an insular ‘echo chamber’, through social media, Jeremy Corbyn was able to reach out well beyond his existing supporters in the Labour Party and successfully engage with lots of people, many of whom felt completely disengaged from politics.

‘Hello I’m a non-voter (or been on the voting register) because I’ve never agreed with any parties!! I’ve been long awaiting a hero like Jeremy … I want him as our nation’s leader!!’ – Gareth

‘Never had I trust of politics before. You are the first politician I have made a donation to. You are the hope of millions.’ – Sohail

‘I have not voted for years due to all the parties standing to the right of middle. But if you are elected Labour leader I will join your party for standing up for the poor/working class and not the corporations who run our country today.’ – Paul
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

Just have to go back to throwing rocks, like you do most of the time, then

;)

p.s. just noticed how progressive you were being...using centimetres rather than 1/4 of an inch
    Charles, Charles, you do me a grave disservice. I'm always progressive where measurements are concerned.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Maomentum

"I'm Mister Red."

"No - I'M Mister Red!".....
    Where's Mr Orange?
  • Options
    Can any of the lawyers on here comment on "promoting sharia law" please?

If we are encouraging different types of law to run parallel with each other we're heading for disaster.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Wow - what an embarrassing post. You'll be telling us next about the ice cream with Apple pie he feeds to el gato.
  • Options
    On topic, Labour must be careful not to trip themselves up, but they look rock solid for a win by Khan. He's not pissing off Corbynistas in large numbers, but he's tried to reassure non-Corbynites he will be his own man, and so Zac probably cannot rely on an underwhelming Labour turnout. Add to that he probably won't get as much Tory or loaned support from other party supporters as Boris, and it's hard to see what he can do to win. He has to rely on Khan messing up I think.
  • Options
    Something I'd like to ask re the doctors strike, as a result of Hunt's reforms will they be financially worse off?

And to clarify, please ignore conditions, hours etc, will the pay packet be cut.
  • Options
    @afneil: Mr Corbyn floats idea that we could keep Trident but without nuclear warheads ....
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Methinks non nuclear Trident subs sounds like a very expensive job creation scheme
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: The Labour party leader has just said we have to find a way of understanding Isis "strong points".
  • Options
    Like Neptune?
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: Mr Corbyn floats idea that we could keep Trident but without nuclear warheads ....

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: Mr Corbyn comes out for return to secondary strikes/picketing on Marr.

@muir_jeffrey: Jeremy Corbyn turning the clock back to the 1970s.
    Remember the winter of discontent, it was the unions bringing down a Labour government.

Doing the "brawn cocktail" circuit then?

Way to go Corby....Yeah that'll work well with the business fraternity.
  • Options

Oh come on Nick, my old Nan is a lovely lady, wouldn't harm a fly, but I don't want her leading a political party.

Your posts confirm what I've said all along, Corbyn has no intention of becoming PM, it's one big ego trip to show the world what a caring, peace loving, all embracing man he is.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: The Labour party leader has just said we have to find a way of understanding Isis "strong points".

By any chance does he mean 'understanding why millions of people support ISIS, thereby making it easier for us to destroy them and tackle those murdering enablers who support their aims?'
  • Options
    @DanHannanMEP: Bloody hell! Even now, Corbyn thinks we shouldn't have taken back the Falkland Islands, #Marr
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

What most comes across to me from that interview:

1) believes himself to be virtuous
    2) head full of vacant platitudes - you've got to think about upstream (such insight!), may not be binary
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    Sean_F said:

If anything outer London is moving left, inner London is moving right (with exceptions).
    An Evening Standard poll in September had Labour ahead in London overall 42% to 38% and in Inner London it was on 48% to the Tories 31%. In Outer London though the Tories led on 41% to Labour's 39%
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/tessa-jowell-set-to-win-mayor-race-for-labour-say-polls-a2942506.html
This discussion has been closed.