Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron versus Corbyn – the first Ipsos MORI comparison sin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron versus Corbyn – the first Ipsos MORI comparison since LAB’s new leader took over

Ipsos MORI/Standard poll on Cameron vs Corbyn
http://t.co/Dx8eHfXtGU pic.twitter.com/TmBGxko6Dt

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    Killer numbers. Corbyn will destroy Labour.
  • Options
    I actually particpated in this poll.

Corbyn is, in effect, confirming existing perceptions of Labour as unfit to govern, and its leader as non-prime ministerial.

I struggled to answer these for Farron.
  • Options
    The voting intention & leader favourability figures should be up later today. Could the Tories be in the 40s, or Labour in the 20s? I'll guess at 39-30.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,139
    Divided: 75 plays 38. Labour have added 32% to their divided number. And that is before the wars really start. The public have a pretty shrewd notion of how this is going to play out already.

Punters don't vote for divided parties.
  • Options

The voting intention & leader favourability figures should be up later today. Could the Tories be in the 40s, or Labour in the 20s? I'll guess at 39-30.

My guess is that we might have to wait till tomorrow for the rest of the data. The Standard usually has two stabs at getting stories out of its pol.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Out of date, extreme, divided and unpatriotic - what's not to like?

• Options
    Those patriotic figures are a killer.

The country will never elect someone they consider unpatriotic
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,988

Divided: 75 plays 38. Labour have added 32% to their divided number. And that is before the wars really start. The public have a pretty shrewd notion of how this is going to play out already.

Punters don't vote for divided parties.

Yep, it's the divided number that's the biggest issue in that lot so far as I can see.

The rifts are real and very public, and the PLP needs to recognise the new reality that this is Jezza's party now ! 59% of the vote. That's a bigger % than Blair achieved.

Obviously they probably won't win whatever happens, but trying to keep their rifts somewhat private might bump them from say 170 to 190 seats !
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop Thanx for James Randi tip - will check out on iPlayer.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    Alarming that as many as 35% think Labour is currently fit to govern, but I imagine that figure will drop quite a bit more as the spectacle continues.
  • Options
    FPT & OT:

As Chinese companies are invited to get involved with British high-speed rail projects, British railway companies win contracts on American high-speed rail projects.

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/28/brits-move-to-california/
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Out of date, extreme, divided and unpatriotic...

sounds like Basil Fawlty's comments after the hotel inspector's long list of complaints

'Other than that OK....????'
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Out of date, extreme, divided and unpatriotic - what's not to like?

You cant really justify "extreme" there, but still not good numbers
  • Options
    :lol:
    taffys said:

Out of date, extreme, divided and unpatriotic...

sounds like Basil Fawlty's comments after the hotel inspector's long list of complaints

'Other than that OK....????'

• Options
    Alarming that as many as 35% think Labour is currently fit to govern, but I imagine that figure will drop quite a bit more as the spectacle continues.''

And, as the last election shows, there's a big difference between answering a poll and putting a cross on a ballot.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    edited September 2015

@JosiasJessop Thanx for James Randi tip - will check out on iPlayer.

I hope you enjoy it. Don't read up on his life on Wiki - it might spoil what becomes a rather odd drama at the end.

As an aside, there was a British TV program a decade or so ago where Randi goes into a science lab that claimed to have scientifically proven homoeopathy. By doing a strict double-blind experiment (including taping results in a sealed envelope to the ceiling) he managed to prove that their procedures were pants, and it was their processes at fault.

The scientists were rather upset by this.

For this alone, Randi deserves some form of honour.

Edit: my memory was more or less correct:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/homeopathy.shtml
  • Options

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Dr Johnson
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

FPT & OT:

As Chinese companies are invited to get involved with British high-speed rail projects, British railway companies win contracts on American high-speed rail projects.

Network Rail? They can't even get the existing lines into Waterloo running properly.

The Yanks are dooooooomed.
  • Options

#DUJCA

:)
  • Options
    watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

Network Rail? They can't even get the existing lines into Waterloo running properly.

Upper deck of the re-vamped Birmingham New Street station opened today - "Grand Central" shopping centre. Unfortunately, the down escalators onto the concourse level weren't working!
  • Options

Indeed and why do you think the Tories used it on Ed during the election ?

It works.
  • Options
    Looks like the eariler media blitz on Corbyn has worked pretty much...
  • Options
    Sorry missed the previous thread - I know it's not a scientific survey but there have lots of copies of the Daily Mail left on the shelves over the last few days. I think this tawdry book is going to sink without trace. I would love the know the number of cancelled orders for it. Ashcroft's tweet about the proceeds going to charity was a bit of a give away. Even his friend, Tim Montgomerie, thinks Ashcroft will be more damaged by this.

Looks like the Labour Party Conference is going to knock everything else off the screens next week, given Corbyn's comments about welfare, HS2 and Trident. The polls are going to be more interesting 'after' the conference.
  • Options
    This poll also tells you swinehead revisited doesn't matter.
  • Options
    The jump in some of those numbers are eye-boggling.

• Options

It works.
    "Patriotism, i.e., a willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." - Bertrand Russell
  • Options

FPT & OT:

That's a Canadian company and a US company!
  • Options
    looks like the earlier media blitz on Corbyn has worked pretty much...

Yeah its all the right wing media's fault. Everybody loves Jeremy's policies.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: Corbyn opens his Ipsos MORI satisfaction ratings with a net minus 3% - the worst opening figure ever by a new LAB leader
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited September 2015

Do you think Corbyn is patriotic, a nice scottish woman asked me.

In that moment, all I could think was: won't sing the national anthem, didn't back intervention in the Falklands, happy to let NI go without further comment... whatever the merits of those positions, they aren't patriotic.

I was polled before pig-gate.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

It works.
    Hope they use it on Sadiq then... although saying that it could work against them in London
  • Options
    It was wall to wall in the Mail online for 3 days - I felt it was complete overkill for not much content. It put me off visiting their site as it shoved more entertaining bread/butter stuff out.

Sorry missed the previous thread - I know it's not a scientific survey but there have lots of copies of the Daily Mail left on the shelves over the last few days. I think this tawdry book is going to sink without trace. I would love the know the number of cancelled orders for it. Ashcroft's tweet about the proceeds going to charity was a bit of a give away. Even his friend, Tim Montgomerie, thinks Ashcroft will be more damaged by this.

Looks like the Labour Party Conference is going to knock everything else off the screens next week, given Corbyn's comments about welfare, HS2 and Trident. The polls are going to be more interesting 'after' the conference.

• Options
    Corbyn's ratings are worse than Hague and IDS
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

@MSmithsonPB: Corbyn opens his Ipsos MORI satisfaction ratings with a net minus 3% - the worst opening figure ever by a new LAB leader

And this is the honeymoon.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9A9rOTjFY
  • Options
    taffys said:

It's the age old mistake that both Miliband and now Corbyn have made.

If you don't define your own image, then other people will do it for you.

Problem is Corbyns image IS pretty much what he's now seen as, whereas with Ed, he was just too much of a non-entity that it allowed people to portay him a different number of unflattering ways.
  • Options

Isn't it a little odd to post a tweet from someone who is posting on this thread anyway?
  • Options

Pork & Ride
  • Options

It was wall to wall in the Mail online for 3 days - I felt it was complete overkill for not much content. It put me off visiting their site as it shoved more entertaining bread/butter stuff out.

You forgot to add: the conference may back mandatory re-selection of MPs..

At that point, I suspect the real fun will start.

"Those whom the gods will destroy, they first make mad"...seems apposite.

• Options
    Sky News ‏@SkyNews 4 mins4 minutes ago

At least 717 people are now thought to have been killed in the stampede outside Mecca http://bit.ly/1VaQRnh

wow, thats a lot of people, and it seems to happen every year..

why can't something be done about this?
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

And this is the honeymoon.
    Honeymoons? Honeymoons are a right-wing, Bourgeois, Tory concept!
  • Options
    The Labour conference coverage will be all about splits and plots. There's nothing which political journalists like more, and they'll have a field day.
  • Options
    Ed Blank Sheet Of Paper Miliband... in action.

taffys said:

It's the age old mistake that both Miliband and now Corbyn have made.

If you don't define your own image, then other people will do it for you.

Problem is Corbyns image IS pretty much what he's now seen as, whereas with Ed, he was just too much of a non-entity that it allowed people to portay him a different number of unflattering ways.
  • Options

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 4 mins4 minutes ago

At least 717 people are now thought to have been killed in the stampede outside Mecca http://bit.ly/1VaQRnh

wow, thats a lot of people, and it seems to happen every year..

why can't something be done about this?

They did. They made the bit where this happens safer and there's been fewer incidents in recent years.

When I went where you go throw stones at the devil it's a bit like the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan
  • Options

"See, madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!" - The Joker
  • Options
    I'm bulk-buying popcorn - it's IMO a terrible place to make decisions - all group think and echo chamber reassurance.

Maybe some more moderate attendees will save the day - but saying the will of conference is setting Party policy is madness.

• Options

Arf.
  • Options

"See, madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!" - The Joker
    Yes: my nickname says it all..:-)
  • Options
    This is the first concrete sign that English voters won;t simply allow Labour to be one of two dominant parties, whoever they appoint and whatever they do.

• Options

WHAT???!!!!

You mean this poll was fielded after Cameron's reputation was 'destroyed', rendered the 'laughing stock of Europe' and if he didn't sue 'would be proof of guilt'?

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!
  • Options
    @BenM tweeted:

"Mark Easton ‏@BBCMarkEaston 3h3 hours ago Tottenham, London

Shocking 25% INCREASE in homeless families with children living in B&Bs in England since last summer."

B&Bs ?

Luxury ! Whats wrong with providing them with a tent !
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

Upper deck of the re-vamped Birmingham New Street station opened today - "Grand Central" shopping centre. Unfortunately, the down escalators onto the concourse level weren't working!
    I bet the platform level is still a dungeon.
  • Options

WHAT???!!!!

You mean this poll was fielded after Cameron's reputation was 'destroyed', rendered the 'laughing stock of Europe' and if he didn't sue 'would be proof of guilt'?

I'm shocked Dave is still PM. I mean Coulson, Pastygate, Going to Morrisons, Chickening out of the debates were all career enders
  • Options
    taffys said:

This is the first concrete sign that English voters won;t simply allow Labour to be one of two dominant parties, whoever they appoint and whatever they do.

I would turn it round the other way: it shows how out of touch Corbyn and Labour are with their core voters..

"Even Ed was better." - Kiss of Death.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @election_data: One for the Lab-UKIP watchers: the Pontefract North by-election today. Expect Lab win but +/- important as always.
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

Rumour has it they like it that way.....
  • Options

FPT & OT:

"Network Rail Consulting, the international consultancy arm of Network Rail, has been selected as part Parsons Brinckerhoff’s consultant team."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,994
    edited September 2015
    I find the 'lots of personality' one interesting - unlike some previous fiery left wingers, Corbyn was deliberately not very fiery in his campaign, being staid and measured all the way, and it wasn't until his victory speech that he seemed to really get passionate and show some personality, so people may not really have a sense of that part of him yet, hence why he and Cameron (Cameron the Bland, as some might thignk of him) are tied on how much personality they have.
  • Options
    Corbyn's ratings are poor, but electing Ed Miliband was a stroke of luck as Corbyn's tenure only lasted a month back in 2010.
  • Options

It may be that the Mail printed lots of extra copies in expectation of a sales surge on the back of this serialisation.
    I used to work in a newsagents when younger and it was quite common then.

• Options
    edited September 2015

WHAT???!!!!

I was polled for this before pig-gate. (Sunday afternoon I think)
  • Options
    Off topic:

Saw a sign at the local Tesco today for some Eid prayers that took place this morning in the car park there !
  • Options

WHAT???!!!!

I'm shocked Dave is still PM. I mean Coulson, Pastygate, Going to Morrisons, Chickening out of the debates were all career enders
    You forgot 'riding a horse' and 'leaving a kid in a pub'.......
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

It's brighter than what it was!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    isam said:

It works.
    Hope they use it on Sadiq then... although saying that it could work against them in London
    It might not work in inner London so much but the outer boroughs could swing it for Zac rather like they've done for Boris.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Article title needs fixing. Missing a 'first'. Like this thread, for a change.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,994
    This may be Corbyn's honeymoon period, but I cannot discount the possibility he will break the mould a little - he was not expected to have a chance in winning after all - and thus he starts so poorly on thi sranking that he in fact improves with time
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

Yep, and one that apparently significantly hampers service patterns because they cannot expand.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,566
    edited September 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Saw a sign at the local Tesco today for some Eid prayers that took place this morning in the car park there !

Which Tesco was that ?

The Spittal Hill one?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Good to have some data. Turns out that new govt still in its honeymoon and that Corbyn is a controversial choice.

Who'davthunkit?
  • Options
    Perhaps voters like Jeremy Corbyn's honesty because, when they vote against him, it will be abundantly clear what they are rejecting.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Which Tesco was that ?
    Spital Hill
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good to have some data. Turns out that new govt still in its honeymoon and that Corbyn is a controversial choice.

Who'davthunkit?

It's not really a new government though is it...
  • Options
    I wonder what % we're catching. 10%?
    Moment police opened lorry at M40 services to find group of FOURTEEN illegal immigrants, including children, hiding in the back

Police respond to banging from inside lorry at Gaydon Service Station
    Officers discover 14 people, including children, inside parked truck
    Understood lorry had travelled through Spain before coming to UK
    Warwickshire Police force investigating discovery earlier this week

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247377/Moment-police-opened-lorry-M40-services-group-FOURTEEN-illegal-immigrants-including-children-hiding-back.html#ixzz3mf0GARVX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

FPT & OT:

"Network Rail Consulting, the international consultancy arm of Network Rail, has been selected as part Parsons Brinckerhoff’s consultant team."
    A UK subby to a Canadian company then :-)
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

It's brighter than what it was!
    In fairness (a user of New Street since the early '70s) they were dealt a very bad hand - but compared to that other sixties disaster Penn Stn they are light years ahead.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Which Tesco was that ?
    Spital Hill
    Thought so. I'll be there later on this evening
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Jonathan said:

Who'davthunkit?

It's not really a new government though is it...
    That's not what the government says though. First Tory govt for 400 years! Big changes afoot!
  • Options

And also there's Trident and ending the benefit cap. Perfect storm which in any normal party would be enough for a swift rethink and removal.
  • Options
    It will surprise no one to discover that the standard Corbynite reaction has been to blame the wickedness of the media.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    In this clip from PMQs in June, who's the chap in the dogcollar sitting behind Angus Robertson? https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/10152853358117217/ Thanks
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NCPoliticsUK: Ipsos MORI/Evening Standard:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255
    https://t.co/hmMOCPJQW5
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Some before, some after pig-gate then.

Changes against?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Labour hoovering up the Green vote, which will get them no where at all.

Edit: The values still look wrong compared with the GE, Lib dems higher than UKIP?

Greens way too high especially before, and still now.
  • Options
    Greenies migrating to Labour - no surprises there.
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

• Options
    felix said:

And also there's Trident and ending the benefit cap. Perfect storm which in any normal party would be enough for a swift rethink and removal.

Other "normal" parties have elected IDS - and then fired him ... and Farage - who resigned - and then resurrected himself...

So such behaviour is far from uncommon...
  • Options
    Fieldwork for this poll was Saturday to Tuesday. So about half to a third of it would have been post Swinehead Revisted
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    The divided stat is the one that stands out for me. Up 32% points! Almost doubled in fact. And this is before the Conference.

Labour have made a truly terrible mistake. How do they get out of it?
  • Options

felix said:

Other "normal" parties have elected IDS - and then fired him ... and Farage - who resigned - and then resurrected himself...

You miss the point - I don't think Labour will get rid. They'll be bolstered by the Mori voter intention poll. They'd be wrong - but there you are.
  • Options
    I am assuming this has done the rounds,

well if not, this is much nearer to my experience of that side of things

http://www.lrb.co.uk/2015/09/23/nick-richardson/short-cuts
  • Options
    It's perfect for Tories - Labour hug a poll bounce to their chests, think the bad numbers don't matter and stick with Corbyn - marvellous.
    felix said:

felix said:

You miss the point - I don't think Labour will get rid. They'll be bolstered by the Mori voter intention poll. They'd be wrong - but there you are.
  • Options
    Is 'out-of-touch' just people's code for 'too posh' ?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I think that for the time being, the supplementaries are more usful than the mainline polls.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

I have this theory that Corbyn will cause a Kipper to Con boost.
  • Options
    TBH not sure how much you can read into these numbers at this stage - a group (Kinnock, Blair, Brown, Miliband) all cluster around upper teens and while one was a spectacular success, the others were not. That said, more evidence of the mountain to be climbed by Corbyn.....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Labour hoovering up the Green vote, which will get them no where at all.

Edit: The values still look wrong compared with the GE, Lib dems higher than UKIP?

Greens way too high especially before, and still now.
    The biggest problem with the poll and indeed most others, as shown in May - is they appear unable to account for non-voters/unregistered voters and also where the voters are. Labour getting ever more inner-city votes didn't help them much in May.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,566
    edited September 2015

Is 'out-of-touch' just people's code for 'too posh' ?

Yes I think that's what the Plebs mean. But they don't mind electing as their Tribune of the Plebs a posh boy Aristo
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Those numbers look a bit out of whack to me due to the fact that the Greens have lost half their votes and are still on their GE score. Effectively if you add together Lab+LD+Green then this combined total is 4% higher than the GE. I also don't buy that UKIP has lost nearly half its vote while the migrant crisis is in the news every day.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Doesn't matter what right wing people think of Corbyn as long as enough people vote for labour. And the polls are creeping up already, despite the turnout adjustments,
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Dadge said:

In this clip from PMQs in June, who's the chap in the dogcollar sitting behind Angus Robertson? https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/10152853358117217/ Thanks

That's a Commons official....probably one of the Sargeant at Arms staff. He's not an MP.