Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron versus Corbyn – the first Ipsos MORI comparison sin

Comments

• Options
    JWisemann said:

Doesn't matter what right wing people think of Corbyn as long as enough people vote for labour. And the polls are creeping up already, despite the turnout adjustments,

Until proved in the field against real elections, i would take any polling still with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    wrt polling

ouch
  • Options

It's perfect for Tories - Labour hug a poll bounce to their chests, think the bad numbers don't matter and stick with Corbyn - marvellous.

felix said:

felix said:

It was wall to wall in the Mail online for 3 days - I felt it was complete overkill for not much content. It put me off visiting their site as it shoved more entertaining bread/butter stuff out.

Sorry missed the previous thread - I know it's not a scientific survey but there have lots of copies of the Daily Mail left on the shelves over the last few days. I think this tawdry book is going to sink without trace. I would love the know the number of cancelled orders for it. Ashcroft's tweet about the proceeds going to charity was a bit of a give away. Even his friend, Tim Montgomerie, thinks Ashcroft will be more damaged by this.

Looks like the Labour Party Conference is going to knock everything else off the screens next week, given Corbyn's comments about welfare, HS2 and Trident. The polls are going to be more interesting 'after' the conference.

You forgot to add: the conference may back mandatory re-selection of MPs..

At that point, I suspect the real fun will start.

"Those whom the gods will destroy, they first make mad"...seems apposite.

And also there's Trident and ending the benefit cap. Perfect storm which in any normal party would be enough for a swift rethink and removal.

Other "normal" parties have elected IDS - and then fired him ... and Farage - who resigned - and then resurrected himself...

So such behaviour is far from uncommon...
    You miss the point - I don't think Labour will get rid. They'll be bolstered by the Mori voter intention poll. They'd be wrong - but there you are.
    A poll bounce of, err, 1.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: Ipsos MORI/Evening Standard:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255
    https://t.co/hmMOCPJQW5

Once again not much movement, following the readjustment post GE. Dull. I want Tories on 50, Labour on 20, and then the reverse the next week, is that too much to ask?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

@MSmithsonPB: Corbyn opens his Ipsos MORI satisfaction ratings with a net minus 3% - the worst opening figure ever by a new LAB leader

Isn't it a little odd to post a tweet from someone who is posting on this thread anyway?
    You are beginning to look as obsessed as Tim.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,490
    felix said:

isam said:

Those patriotic figures are a killer.

The country will never elect someone they consider unpatriotic

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Dr Johnson
    Indeed and why do you think the Tories used it on Ed during the election ?

It works.
    Hope they use it on Sadiq then... although saying that it could work against them in London
    It might not work in inner London so much but the outer boroughs could swing it for Zac rather like they've done for Boris.
    Oh - the curious fact that it'll be Khan vs Goldsmith has just occurred to me! A resonant pairing.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126
    Floater said:

isam said:

@MSmithsonPB: Corbyn opens his Ipsos MORI satisfaction ratings with a net minus 3% - the worst opening figure ever by a new LAB leader

Isn't it a little odd to post a tweet from someone who is posting on this thread anyway?
    Ouch :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    UKIP on 7% is not how they would want to start their conference.

Still, maybe their MP can fire up the membership.....
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

felix said:

isam said:

Those patriotic figures are a killer.

The country will never elect someone they consider unpatriotic

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Dr Johnson
    Indeed and why do you think the Tories used it on Ed during the election ?

It works.
    Hope they use it on Sadiq then... although saying that it could work against them in London
    It might not work in inner London so much but the outer boroughs could swing it for Zac rather like they've done for Boris.
    Oh - the curious fact that it'll be Khan vs Goldsmith has just occurred to me! A resonant pairing.
    I would note that technically the Tories haven't chosen Zac yet... as tempted as I am to feel the winnings in my pocket already...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

I have this theory that Corbyn will cause a Kipper to Con boost.
    It looks like left-right polarisation to me.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

It's perfect for Tories - Labour hug a poll bounce to their chests, think the bad numbers don't matter and stick with Corbyn - marvellous.

felix said:

felix said:

It was wall to wall in the Mail online for 3 days - I felt it was complete overkill for not much content. It put me off visiting their site as it shoved more entertaining bread/butter stuff out.

Sorry missed the previous thread - I know it's not a scientific survey but there have lots of copies of the Daily Mail left on the shelves over the last few days. I think this tawdry book is going to sink without trace. I would love the know the number of cancelled orders for it. Ashcroft's tweet about the proceeds going to charity was a bit of a give away. Even his friend, Tim Montgomerie, thinks Ashcroft will be more damaged by this.

Looks like the Labour Party Conference is going to knock everything else off the screens next week, given Corbyn's comments about welfare, HS2 and Trident. The polls are going to be more interesting 'after' the conference.

You forgot to add: the conference may back mandatory re-selection of MPs..

At that point, I suspect the real fun will start.

"Those whom the gods will destroy, they first make mad"...seems apposite.

And also there's Trident and ending the benefit cap. Perfect storm which in any normal party would be enough for a swift rethink and removal.

Other "normal" parties have elected IDS - and then fired him ... and Farage - who resigned - and then resurrected himself...

So such behaviour is far from uncommon...
    You miss the point - I don't think Labour will get rid. They'll be bolstered by the Mori voter intention poll. They'd be wrong - but there you are.
    A poll bounce of, err, 1.
    MOE as Palmer X(x2)MP is so fond of saying.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Those numbers look a bit out of whack to me due to the fact that the Greens have lost half their votes and are still on their GE score. Effectively if you add together Lab+LD+Green then this combined total is 4% higher than the GE. I also don't buy that UKIP has lost nearly half its vote while the migrant crisis is in the news every day.
    Hmmm... The Farage hokey-cokey reflected extremely badly on the party and caused lasting damage. It's one thing saying you're not keen on foreigners coming here, quite another to appear incompetent/incapable when it comes to actually doing anything about it. Also worth remembering that they somehow managed to reduce their seats at the last GE - that impotence will be fresh in the minds of many of those who were tempted to vote Kipper back in May.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Floater said:

isam said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

This poll also tells you swinehead revisited doesn't matter.

WHAT???!!!!

You mean this poll was fielded after Cameron's reputation was 'destroyed', rendered the 'laughing stock of Europe' and if he didn't sue 'would be proof of guilt'?

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!
    I'm shocked Dave is still PM. I mean Coulson, Pastygate, Going to Morrisons, Chickening out of the debates were all career enders
    You forgot 'riding a horse' and 'leaving a kid in a pub'.......
    And refusing to debate with Salmond. He'll rue the day.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

I have this theory that Corbyn will cause a Kipper to Con boost.
    It looks like left-right polarisation to me.
    They said the era of two party politics was over.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

I am assuming this has done the rounds,

well if not, this is much nearer to my experience of that side of things

http://www.lrb.co.uk/2015/09/23/nick-richardson/short-cuts

The author comes across as a complete prick.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,462

JWisemann said:

Doesn't matter what right wing people think of Corbyn as long as enough people vote for labour. And the polls are creeping up already, despite the turnout adjustments,

Until proved in the field against real elections, i would take any polling still with a pinch of salt.
    Actually it does matter because he is going to need some of their votes.
  • Options
    Running those voting intention numbers through Electoral Calculus produces the following outcome:

CON 321
    LAB 243
    LIB 8
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 56
    PlaidC 3
    N.Ire 18
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Running those voting intention numbers through Electoral Calculus produces the following outcome:

CON 321
    LAB 243
    LIB 8
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 56
    PlaidC 3
    N.Ire 18

The DUP/UUP will be crucial in such a parliament.

Now who would they prefer to see as PM? Any Tory or Corbyn who wants a united Ireland.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

CON 321
    LAB 243
    LIB 8
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 56
    PlaidC 3
    N.Ire 18

Old boundaries.....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Even Foot didn't receive the barrage of hostility Corbyn has received. I am sure the Mirror and the Guardian were on Foot's side.

Isn't the gap between Con and Labour narrowing a bit ? This was not supposed to happen ? The Green vote coming straight over to Labour.
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

As Chinese companies are invited to get involved with British high-speed rail projects, British railway companies win contracts on American high-speed rail projects.

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/28/brits-move-to-california/

Network Rail? They can't even get the existing lines into Waterloo running properly.

The Yanks are dooooooomed.
    Upper deck of the re-vamped Birmingham New Street station opened today - "Grand Central" shopping centre. Unfortunately, the down escalators onto the concourse level weren't working!
    I bet the platform level is still a dungeon.
    Yep, and one that apparently significantly hampers service patterns because they cannot expand.
    Off to Berlin next week. Interesting to see what Hauptbahnhof is like.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    Some interesting figures on page 6 of the Ipsos MORI tables:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-september-2015-topline.pdf

Corbyn actually comes out quite well now compared with Ed M in March 2015 (37% 'Like' vs 30% for Ed).

Also a surprising (to me at least) boost since March 2015 for Cameron personally and for the Conservatives: 41% 'like' the Conservatives now, compared with 32% in March. I'm not sure why that would have changed so much over that period.

Note that the Labour brand advantage has gone, in this survey at least.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    34% is quite a good figure for Labour, given the results of the supplementary questions. But, I suspect it's their ceiling.

7% for UKIP is quite a bit lower than the 13-16% figure that the other pollsters show. The combined right wing score of 46% is also well below the 50-55% that the others show.
  • Options

antifrank said:

CON 321
    LAB 243
    LIB 8
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 56
    PlaidC 3
    N.Ire 18

Old boundaries.....
    Well yes, but in the absence of any new ones I can't magic up anything else. It gives a general sense.

Personally I would place far more reliance on the leadership ratings for the while. With just under five years to the next election, voting intention is more an expression of mood rather than anything to be taken too seriously.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Even Foot didn't receive the barrage of hostility Corbyn has received. I am sure the Mirror and the Guardian were on Foot's side.

Isn't the gap between Con and Labour narrowing a bit ? This was not supposed to happen ? The Green vote coming straight over to Labour.
    UKIP are also far too low. I think Ipsos-MORI tends to flatter the left a tad in their polls.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

CON 321
    LAB 243
    LIB 8
    UKIP 0
    Green 1
    SNP 56
    PlaidC 3
    N.Ire 18

Old boundaries.....
    Personally I would place far more reliance on the leadership ratings for the while. With just under five years to the next election, voting intention is more an expression of mood rather than anything to be taken too seriously.
    Yep. Foot minus five sounds about right....

• Options
    Pong said:

The author comes across as a complete prick.
    Classic yah humblebragging. How comes only this specific subspecies of posh people know nice dealers and willingly spend time in squats?

Literally every drug dealer I've crossed paths with has been a scumbag (perhaps because I've never been a customer?) and the few genuine squats I've seen have been horrible stinking crack dens inhabited by broken people (and no raves).
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Even Foot didn't receive the barrage of hostility Corbyn has received.

Of course not, there wasn't so much to be hostile about.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps the barrage of hostility and words of warnings heaped on Corbyn by a former Labour leader, several Labour MPs, Labour Grandees and Labour leaning journalists was also a contributing factor?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

UKIP are also far too low. I think Ipsos-MORI tends to flatter the left a tad in their polls.
    An approval rating of 33% is higher than William Hague ever achieved, but I think Labour will struggle to reach the Conservatives' 2001 vote share with Corbyn in charge.
  • Options

I went to parties like that at university. But never with the sex and drugs.

At best, there would be a room somewhere where a few were sharing a spliff.

There might be a few snogging or canoodling in corners, but nothing like wall-to-wall sex.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps the barrage of hostility and words of warnings heaped on Corbyn by a former Labour leader, several Labour MPs, Labour Grandees and Labour leaning journalists was also a contributing factor?
    You have to offset those criticisms Jezbollah has received with the praise he's received from Gerry Adams, Argentina and Hamas.

Oh...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn becomes first Labour leader ever to score negative debut poll rating http://t.co/vq1Bqmh8Nq
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

An approval rating of 33% is higher than William Hague ever achieved, but I think Labour will struggle to reach the Conservatives' 2001 vote share with Corbyn in charge.
    Yes. This is 'who do you sympathise with right now' poll not 'there's an actual real general election tomorrow so this shit is serious' poll.

Although, having said that, even those were wildly wrong this year.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

You have to offset those criticisms Jezbollah has received with the praise he's received from Gerry Adams, Argentina and Hamas.

Oh...
    It is still puzzling...why is the Labour support slowly going up ?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Perhaps Corbyn should suggest a joint leadership ...like the two David's of the SDP and the Liberals with Derek Hatton coming in. They could destroy Labour much more quickly , and it would be less painful.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...
    And with other pollsters the Tories are going up by even more.

Trust me in marginals like Warrington South the Tories will be reminding the voters that Corbyn is the Sinn Fein endorsed leader and his past comments on the IRA.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691
    edited September 2015

Do you think Corbyn is patriotic, a nice scottish woman asked me.

We've been told the accents of canvassers is a vital factor in polling. This is obviously a case of the poor, innocent respondent being presented with an image of Corbyn waving a white flag while poking out of the pocket of Sturgeon who's wearing a Salmond mask. Or something.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, it was. Would you have believed Tsipras could win twice two years ago ? What happens if we enter another downturn after all this austerity ?
  • Options
    The Labour Party Conference is going to have a strange atmosphere. Like a wake, with a rave going on in one corner....
  • Options
    Labour is a bit like VW: their consumer brand is very strong, but boy-oh-boy are they doing their level best to destroy it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The Labour Party Conference is going to have a strange atmosphere. Like a wake, with a rave going on in one corner....

Or the other way round...
  • Options

watford30 said:

FPT & OT:

As Chinese companies are invited to get involved with British high-speed rail projects, British railway companies win contracts on American high-speed rail projects.

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/28/brits-move-to-california/

Network Rail? They can't even get the existing lines into Waterloo running properly.

The Yanks are dooooooomed.
    Upper deck of the re-vamped Birmingham New Street station opened today - "Grand Central" shopping centre. Unfortunately, the down escalators onto the concourse level weren't working!
    I bet the platform level is still a dungeon.
    Yep, and one that apparently significantly hampers service patterns because they cannot expand.
    Off to Berlin next week. Interesting to see what Hauptbahnhof is like.
    I visited about a week after it opened and was very impressed - I remember thinking it had a genuine Fritz Lang feel about it.

Since then I think we've all got used to the big plate glass shopping mall station and, going back last year, the sheen had definitely fallen and there was a bit of train station crapness creeping in. Definitely a step down from St. Pancras.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, it was. Would you have believed Tsipras could win twice two years ago ? What happens if we enter another downturn after all this austerity ?
    The BOE has already told us.

Lots of QE..
  • Options

Do you think Corbyn is patriotic, a nice scottish woman asked me.

We've been told the accents of canvassers is a vital factor in polling. This is obviously a case of the poor, innocent respondent being presented with an image of Corbyn waving a white flag while poking out of the pocket of Sturgeon who's wearing a Salmond mask. Or something.
    Is that what turns you on?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Trust me in marginals like Warrington South the Tories will be reminding the voters that Corbyn is the Sinn Fein endorsed leader and his past comments on the IRA.
    I don't know if you saw that very interesting report I linked to from Lewis Baston yesterday.

I was struck by his remark that the Midlands (outside Birmingham and its environs, Nottingham, and Leicester) is now starting to resemble the South in its voting patterns. But at the same time, some parts of the South (eg Luton, Brighton & Hove, Exeter, Oxford) are starting to resemble Greater London.

But, Corbyn seems destined to accelerate the Midlands voting like the South, while deterring the South from voting like London.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that Corbyn will go down badly in marginal seats
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

What’s the Greek word for Squirrel?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I don't know if you saw that very interesting report I linked to from Lewis Baston yesterday.

I was struck by his remark that the Midlands (outside Birmingham and its environs, Nottingham, and Leicester) is now starting to resemble the South in its voting patterns. But at the same time, some parts of the South (eg Luton, Brighton & Hove, Oxford) are starting to resemble Greater London.

But, Corbyn seems destined to accelerate the Midlands voting like the South, while deterring the South from voting like London.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that Corbyn will go down badly in marginal.
    Birmingham City is becoming a bit like Greater London too. For a Tory overall majority, I'd have expected both Northfield and Edgebaston to fall.

The centre-right are losing any real grip on core cities, unless it's affluent outer suburbia that doesn't feel very city like anyway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Or the other way round...
    Perhaps it is more like the Party has been told it has cancer, and a chunk of the membership is all upbeat because "Yay" Now we really have an excuse to get involved in the Macmillan Charity Coffee Morning!"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I was struck by his remark that the Midlands (outside Birmingham and its environs, Nottingham, and Leicester) is now starting to resemble the South in its voting patterns. But at the same time, some parts of the South (eg Luton, Brighton & Hove, Exeter, Oxford) are starting to resemble Greater London.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that Corbyn will go down badly in marginal seats
    I haven't, do you have a link please ?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/09/Is-‘southern-discomfort’-spreading.pdf

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...
    Probably find they're even in the lead in 2017 or 2018.

It'll be deeply irrelevent to the final score, don't you agree?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...
    Concerns about the leadership may be present, but not forefront for people right now perhaps, and there are enough people who are sufficiently scared by the mere prospect of what a Tory majority will do to see it creep up?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,462
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

But this is Tsipras as 21st century Vicar of Bray.

He has turned the Grandstand - Reverse Ferret cycle into an ever descending spiral.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/09/Is-‘southern-discomfort’-spreading.pdf

Thank you.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I was struck by his remark that the Midlands (outside Birmingham and its environs, Nottingham, and Leicester) is now starting to resemble the South in its voting patterns. But at the same time, some parts of the South (eg Luton, Brighton & Hove, Oxford) are starting to resemble Greater London.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that Corbyn will go down badly in marginal.
    Birmingham City is becoming a bit like Greater London too. For a Tory overall majority, I'd have expected both Northfield and Edgebaston to fall.

The centre-right are losing any real grip on core cities, unless it's affluent outer suburbia that doesn't feel very city like anyway.
    Big cities like Birmingham would be far more interesting politically - and far more engaging for the voters - if they had say a dozen seats like slices of pizza, fanning out from the city centre through suburbia. A dozen marginals. All in play. All really having to win the vote. All representing a true slice of urban and suburban issues....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

That's very interesting. It's a more detailed and analytical take on something I looked at a couple of months ago:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-long-view-comparing-1992-and-2015.html
  • Options

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

At the same time, the historic marginal seats in North Kent, Northamptonshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, look as though they're moving out of reach for Labour, save in a landslide year.

Another big rightward shift is under way in seats that were once based on coal-mining. Between them, the Conservatives and UKIP polled more votes than Labour did in Bolsover, this year.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Big cities like Birmingham would be far more interesting politically - and far more engaging for the voters - if they had say a dozen seats like slices of pizza, fanning out from the city centre through suburbia. A dozen marginals. All in play. All really having to win the vote. All representing a true slice of urban and suburban issues....
    Terrible idea.

That's the classic way town/city seats are gerrymandered into the blue column under FPTP. Draw a thin pizza slice protruding into the countryside to rope in just enough Tory voters from safe rural areas to outvote those who live in the city.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2015

The leaflets write themselves.

MEET LABOUR'S TEAM FOR GOVERNMENT

"It will be my pleasure and honor to host an event in Parliament where our friends from Hezbollah will be speaking. I’ve also invited our friends from Hamas to come and speak as well."
    -- Jeremy Corbyn, prospective Prime Minister

"It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA."
    -- John McDonnell, prospective Chancellor of the Exchequer

[On seeing England flags on the outside of a house]
    “I’ve never seen anything like it before. It had three huge flags covering the whole house. I thought it was remarkable."
    -- Emily Thornberry, prospective Minister for Employment

"I really believe that meat should be treated in exactly the same way as tobacco, with public campaigns to stop people eating it."
    -- Kerry McCarthy, prospective Minister for Agriculture

"White people love to play divide & rule. We should not play their game."
    -- Diane Abbott, prospective Development Secretary
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

That's very interesting. It's a more detailed and analytical take on something I looked at a couple of months ago:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-long-view-comparing-1992-and-2015.html
    I remember some years ago, Mike did a piece on levels of car ownership being a good predictor of local voting intention. Lewis Baston goes into this in some detail.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

That's the classic way town/city seats are gerrymandered into the blue column under FPTP. Draw a thin pizza slice protruding into the countryside to rope in just enough Tory voters from safe rural areas to outvote those who live in the city.
    It's the outworking of trends that have been apparent for 40 years or more. Core cities are running out of Conservatives. Smaller cities, big towns, and ex-mining areas are running out of Labour voters.

I wonder if people actually move deliberately to places where they feel more comfortable politically?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Those numbers look a bit out of whack to me due to the fact that the Greens have lost half their votes and are still on their GE score. Effectively if you add together Lab+LD+Green then this combined total is 4% higher than the GE. I also don't buy that UKIP has lost nearly half its vote while the migrant crisis is in the news every day.
    Hmmm... The Farage hokey-cokey reflected extremely badly on the party and caused lasting damage. It's one thing saying you're not keen on foreigners coming here, quite another to appear incompetent/incapable when it comes to actually doing anything about it. Also worth remembering that they somehow managed to reduce their seats at the last GE - that impotence will be fresh in the minds of many of those who were tempted to vote Kipper back in May.
    Do you have anything to back that claim up? I have said it before but this is Westminster bubble stuff. It is not just exclusive to UKIP, Lord Ashcroft's non-dom status will never register with the average man/woman on the street. I would bet most don't even know what a non-dom is.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

It's the outworking of trends that have been apparent for 40 years or more. Core cities are running out of Conservatives. Smaller cities, big towns, and ex-mining areas are running out of Labour voters.

I wonder if people actually move deliberately to places where they feel more comfortable politically?
    No. It's called "urban flight"..

See also the US..
  • Options
    This is an encouraging starting point for the new Labour leader.His and Labour's progression will be measured by how much this new injection of new blood can affect change.A starting point will be candidates appearing in all local by-elections and a bottoming out of the SNP landslide in Scotland.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sean_F said:

Isn't this just immigration causing our core cities to become more ethnic minority? They vote for Labour at much higher rates than people British white background. As they become a bigger and bigger part of Labour's membership, Labour favour multiculturalism more, and disdain the white working class more, which means the white areas of the country vote more for other parties.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

They move where they feel more comfortable. I lived in London for a year, and hated it. I then moved to a small English village in Hampshire, in affluent Hart as it happens, and love it.

They weigh the Tory votes in my village. UKIP+Tories get 75-90% in the locals.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I rather liked the idea of taking, say, 5 current constituencies and reducing them into 1, 4 member constituency with a proportional system.

I live in Ladywood, 75 % Labour. Can't us in the JQ be in a posher constituency?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,084

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

They move where they feel more comfortable. I lived in London for a year, and hated it. I then moved to a small English village in Hampshire, in affluent Hart as it happens, and love it.

Almost worthy of the moniker "The Peoples Democratic republic of Hart".
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

Almost worthy of the moniker "The Peoples Democratic republic of Hart".
    We hunt Labour voters here.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Quite - it's all about the Midlands/northern marginals. Piling up votes in the inner cities won't buy Corbyn any more MPs. It's strange that Labour supporters are forgetting what just happened so soon.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Do you have anything to back that claim up? I have said it before but this is Westminster bubble stuff. It is not just exclusive to UKIP, Lord Ashcroft's non-dom status will never register with the average man/woman on the street. I would bet most don't even know what a non-dom is.
    Nothing quantitative no. Just a couple of overheard pub conversations around that time (actually one those at Stockport beer festival).
  • Options
    JEO said:

Sean_F said:

Isn't this just immigration causing our core cities to become more ethnic minority? They vote for Labour at much higher rates than people British white background. As they become a bigger and bigger part of Labour's membership, Labour favour multiculturalism more, and disdain the white working class more, which means the white areas of the country vote more for other parties.
    From the same report, immigration is changing the South too. Even my area Hart is 10% non-White. Reading is only 60-70% white.

There is a high-concentration of the Corbynite Left in places such as Brighton and, increasingly, Exeter but demographic change is probably a bigger problem for the Conservatives.

Unless they can detach voting from ethnicity and onto economics.
  • Options
    Migrants in Sweden facing disillusionment:

http://www.voanews.com/content/migrants-find-disappointment-frustration-in-sweden/2973768.html

Here's an interview with one Syrian migrant, who is upset because his housing is a full 30 minutes away from a supermarket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHNh-d9INiI

Of course, when many Dutch Somalis found the Netherlands was not the land of opportunity they hoped for, they waited until they got passports and moved to London. It was a similar case for the mother of the Charlie Hebdo attackers, who moved to the UK for the "more Islamic environment".
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

Well other than political boundaries are set by the independent Electoral Commission. And that Labour changed the composition of County Durham so it became a single political entity under control of Labour in perpetuity rather than having several councils, some of which were Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    We've seen this mentioned a few times here
    So, it's a message to the voters too – we genuinely don't care what you think. There is – isn't there always – a cod-academic justification for ignoring what voters think and feel. The intellectual wing of Corbynism – a relative term, to be fair – will cite the Overton window. The notion that the public have only a limited number of political ideas at any one time which are the ones that the media and the mainstream political classes discuss. If only you could widen the debate – or "change the discourse" – then you could get voters to change their mind.
    Floater said:
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

I specifically said a dozen marginals, all in play.

Interesting that you want to keep Labour's little inner-city fiefdoms. How well does that work out for their occupants?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I

See also the US..
    Not exactly. Conservative support is strong in plenty of smaller cities and big towns such as as Plymouth, Bournemouth, Swindon, Milton Keynes, Reading, Dudley, Basildon, Bury, the Medway towns, Portsmouth, Gloucester, Worcester, St. Alban's, Bedford, etc. but their political culture is very different from that of the core cities.
  • Options

I don't think that will happen until integration has reached the point where people of all racial backgrounds share the same culture, and we think of skin colour similar the way we think of eye colour. That can only happen when immigration is brought down to reasonable levels.
  • Options
    the bar chart certainly shows JC is sticking to his hard left red principles
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

Terrible idea.

I specifically said a dozen marginals, all in play.

Interesting that you want to keep Labour's little inner-city fiefdoms. How well does that work out for their occupants?
    It would make GEs less predictable and magnify swing effects in terms of seats.

Could be interesting. You've mainly got me thinking about what toppings I'd want on my Birmingham pizza though.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    If you want to practise Gerrymandering - try http://www.redistrictinggame.org/ - learn all about packing and cracking. (also Hijacking and Kidnapping)

Currently (Pre SNP landslide) the electoral system favours Labour (who have in general smaller seats due to affluent voters leaving the inner urban areas), partly because they would win more marginal seats - meaning their vote was well distributed. This is, however due to normal demographics rather than Gerrymandering.
  • Options

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

From the same report, immigration is changing the South too. Even my area Hart is 10% non-White. Reading is only 60-70% white.

There is a high-concentration of the Corbynite Left in places such as Brighton and, increasingly, Exeter but demographic change is probably a bigger problem for the Conservatives.

It does seem that BME voters are more willing to vote Conservative in places like Reading than in places like East Ham or Edmonton. Or look at a constituency like Hertsmere. It was only 75% white British at the last census, yet the Conservatives won their highest ever vote share (and UKIP won another 12%). In places like Elstree or Bushey, Asian voters are probably just as likely to vote Conservative as their white counterparts do.
  • Options

It would make GEs less predictable and magnify swing effects in terms of seats.

Could be interesting. You've mainly got me thinking about what toppings I'd want on my Birmingham pizza though.

Anyone who puts pineapple on a pizza is bloody weirdo.
  • Options
    Fiorina and Carson both polling ahead of Clinton in a head to head choice.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/24/carly-fiorina-tops-hillary-clinton-head-head-match/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Oh...

I

See also the US..
    Not exactly. Conservative support is strong in plenty of smaller cities and big towns such as as Plymouth, Bournemouth, Swindon, Milton Keynes, Reading, Dudley, Basildon, Bury, the Medway towns, Portsmouth, Gloucester, Worcester, St. Alban's, Bedford, etc. but their political culture is very different from that of the core cities.
    What's the difference?

I have my own balanced unbias view: which is that Camden, Bristol West, Central Brighton and Shoreditch all seem to be full of hipsters, hippies and various other trendy dickheads.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Truly shocking stuff if any of the following turns out to be true:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/24/exclusive-claims-about-ex-tory-candidate-mark-clarke-embroiled-in-suicide-bullying-allegations/

Is this sort of behaviour common among the more active elements of the Tories?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'Isn't the gap between Con and Labour narrowing a bit ? This was not supposed to happen ? The Green vote coming straight over to Labour.'

Keep clutching at those straws it's pure comedy gold.
  • Options

Fiorina and Carson both polling ahead of Clinton in a head to head choice.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/24/carly-fiorina-tops-hillary-clinton-head-head-match/

Biden close to jumping in?

"BIDEN A GO? – A Dem insider emails that word inside the Draft Biden operation is “it's a done deal that Joe runs.” Of course people who want to draft Biden WOULD say that but still…"

Read more: http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/morning-money/2015/09/2015-09-23-pro-morning-money-210338#ixzz3mfWVzaTs
  • Options
    Calling all reactionaries.

BBC R4 has just broadcast Hilary Mantel's 'The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher'. You don't even have to listen to it, the very fact that it exists and the BBC has broadcast it will give that warm, familiar feeling of outrage!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2015
    Influx of 'new-to-English' pupils is biggest challenge for Bradford's schools

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13780600.Influx_of__new_to_English__pupils_is_biggest_challenge_for_Bradford_s_schools/

From the Article -

BECOMING swamped with pupils who do not speak English is "one of the biggest challenges" facing Bradford's schools, with numbers likely to soar further, a meeting of school leaders has heard.

And a union leader has warned that "millions of pounds" of extra Government funding was needed to deal with the situation

Lets face the fact,the government of this country has lost control of immigration and with lefties using the word 'Swamped' it must be serious,plus we need million of pounds just for the English language skills with budgets in Bradford for the handicapped been cut,it's a f-ing disgrace.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

I don't think that will happen until integration has reached the point where people of all racial backgrounds share the same culture, and we think of skin colour similar the way we think of eye colour. That can only happen when immigration is brought down to reasonable levels.
    Many ethnic (I do dislike this term) voters have concerns about immigration and it's effects that are similar to white voters.

Lumping all ethnic voters into one group fails to recognise distinct differences between them.

There is some data, both from Ashcroft in 2010, and post 2015, that makes it fairly explicit that Afro-Caribbean or Islamic backgrounds lean more to Labour than other groups such as Indian Hindus etc.

Wealth, poverty and aspiration reaches across colour divides, and it is an influx of white European immigration that has detoxified the immigration/race debate. The race card has been torn up.
  • Options
    Blimey, the Hajj pilgrimage stampede death toll has reached 717 a further 863 people injured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34346449

They’re not having much luck this year what with this and the crane that collapsed.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Truly shocking stuff if any of the following turns out to be true:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/24/exclusive-claims-about-ex-tory-candidate-mark-clarke-embroiled-in-suicide-bullying-allegations/

Is this sort of behaviour common among the more active elements of the Tories?

Mark Clarke has not proved to be popular.