Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron versus Corbyn – the first Ipsos MORI comparison sin

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

The Conservatives have Osborne, Javid, Hammond, May - they might not be everyone's cup of tea but they'll all tonk Corbyn on the PM question.

Plus a decent reserve team (Jeremy Hunt etc). Of course there's Boris as well, but I think he's unlikely.

There's also one name which never gets mentioned and as far as I know is not offered by any bookie, but should be. And I'm not talking about some obscure backbencher, either.
    JohnO?
    Hammond !

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    edited September 2015

HYFUD I guess lots of people could suffer living in a modest apartment in the Vatican..having all his meals Cooked..utilities paid..clothes laundered..a driver..security guards..lotsa them..If the Chinese want more babies it is entirely up to them and they will provide for them. But good old Popey is telling his followers..most of whom are at extreme poverty levels already..particularly in South American countries..to have more kids, that they cannot possibly feed or educate and in lots of cases..provide a home..Meanwhile Popey does some cheapshit PR number by slinging a few bags of food out of his car in downtown Rome. Then back to his dreary little bedsit for his five course supper.

The Pope is a highly educated Chemistry graduate, probably brighter than Cameron and Obama, who lives modestly for the leader of an organisation of 1 billion members. As SeanF said some countries actually need more babies, especially Catholic Italy or Spain and in South America those babies are needed to provide future income and care for the family (not that I have seen many statements by this Pope on the subject compared to his predecessors). If he does go out to the homeless it is late at night, walking, of his own volition and he certainly does not eat 5 courses. So wrong again
  • Options
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn may have a net negative rating but Labour are polling more than Foot or Brown got and level with Miliband. So while the average voter is hostile to him Corbyn voters are strongly behind him

Real vote outcomes and Labour opinion poll numbers are different things.

The popular left - Labour, except 2010 - always do worse in reality than their poll numbers.

Miliband was polling 34-35 hours before he actually got 31.
    In 1983 Foot actually polled worse in final polls than he got, Comres has Labour on 30% and has adjusted its weightings post election
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    surbiton said:

Calling PB Business community:

Those of you who are in the business of selling , particularly, to the manufacturing industry: how is your business doing in the last 3 months ? We have seen our order books recover last year and kind of peaking in Q1 but then started to fall. In Q3, it is looking like our total order book will be about 25% below end of March.

From May onwards, it has been falling continuously.

Quiet Q1, better Q2, rubbish July/Aug,amazingly fantastic September (bit of an odd pattern). Euro exchange rate has been s serious drag all year. No signs of any Far East slowdown yet. We sell to a wide variety of "core boring" industries. Food packaging, metals, paper, medical, oem's.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Those of you who are in the business of selling , particularly, to the manufacturing industry: how is your business doing in the last 3 months ? We have seen our order books recover last year and kind of peaking in Q1 but then started to fall. In Q3, it is looking like our total order book will be about 25% below end of March.

I have three businesses in various parts of the tech sector, and all of them are reporting record revenues and orders right now. However, I would note that there is zero China exposure, and lots of Continental Europe, so what was a hinderance in 2013 in a help now.
    By tech sector, do you mean software ? We use software in our products but they are sold entirely, directly or indirectly, to the manufacturing sector.
    One data provider to the gambling industry. (Sales up 20% yoy)
    One PaaS provider to companies worldwide. (Sales up 100% yoy)
    One crowdsourced sports data company. (Sales up 10x, but from a tiny base, so not fair to compare, really...)
    So, we are not comparing like for like. M y clients are people who use machines to make products or make the machine themselves. Of course, software and networks are also involved so that the machines can communicate with the PLC
    No, not like-with-like.

I think capital goods is going to be a very difficult space for the next 18 months, because Chinese Gross Capital Formation (aka investment) is going to go from super-normal levels to sub-normal levels.

It's the natural stocking-destocking, investment-consolidation, cycle. And it just happens that China (and Canada and Australia) haven't had a proper recession in a quarter century.
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/manufacturing-pmi

Our business is going virtually as the CIPS data shows. It will be interesting to see the September figures. We have not been below 50 since early Jan 2013.

It is difficult to believe that even in the beginning of 2010 business confidence was higher than now !
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn may have a net negative rating but Labour are polling more than Foot or Brown got and level with Miliband. So while the average voter is hostile to him Corbyn voters are strongly behind him

The popular left - Labour, except 2010 - always do worse in reality than their poll numbers.

In 1983 Foot actually polled worse in final polls than he got, Comres has Labour on 30% and has adjusted its weightings post election
    Speaking of polls, I think we are looking forward to your frothing drool over the Scottish cross break in the latest IPSOS Mori poll.
  • Options
    Quinnipiac GOP national primary and general election

Trump – 25% (28)
    Carson – 17% (12)
    Fiorina – 12% (5)
    Bush – 10% (7)
    Rubio – 9% (7)
    Cruz – 7% (7)
    Huckabee – 2% (3)
    Christie – 2% (4)
    Kasich – 2% (5)
    Paul – 1% (2)
    Pataki – 1% (0)
    Gilmore – 0% (0)
    Graham – 0% (0)
    Jindal – 0% (0)
    Santorum – 0% (0)
    Undecided – 9% (11)(

Bush – 44%
    Clinton – 42%

Carson – 49%
    Clinton – 42%

Fiorina – 44%
    Clinton – 43%

Clinton – 45%
    Trump – 43%

Carson 45% (–)
    Biden 45% (–)

Biden 46% (–)
    Fiorina 43% (–)

Biden 46% (45%)
    Bush 41% (39%)

Biden 51% (48%)
    Trump 40% (40%)

Carson 49% (–)
    Sanders 39% (–)

Fiorina 44% (–)
    Sanders 43% (–)

Bush 44% (39%)
    Sanders 44% (43%)

Sanders 47% (44%)
    Trump 42% (41%)

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2283
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

EPG said:

runnymede said:

I presume we must assume the 37% who think Corbyn 'patriotic' are either living in a parallel universe or (more likely) don't actually know who he is.

I think Jezza is patriotic.
    I don't think he is. But there is nothing wrong with not being patriotic, at least at a time when invasion is unimaginable.
    To me, not being patriotic is like not loving your parents.
    And as with our parents, we don't get to choose our country.
    No-one is making you stay. Try Venezuela/Cuba/ North Korea ? Thought not.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

surbiton said:

Quiet Q1, better Q2, rubbish July/Aug,amazingly fantastic September (bit of an odd pattern). Euro exchange rate has been s serious drag all year. No signs of any Far East slowdown yet. We sell to a wide variety of "core boring" industries. Food packaging, metals, paper, medical, oem's.
    Interesting, thanks ! We sell mostly to "boring" industries too !
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Speaking of polls, I think we are looking forward to your frothing drool over the Scottish cross break in the latest IPSOS Mori poll.
    Sadly not, as no voting intention figures as yet
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Trump – 25% (28)
    Carson – 17% (12)
    Fiorina – 12% (5)
    Bush – 10% (7)
    Rubio – 9% (7)
    Cruz – 7% (7)
    Huckabee – 2% (3)
    Christie – 2% (4)
    Kasich – 2% (5)
    Paul – 1% (2)
    Pataki – 1% (0)
    Gilmore – 0% (0)
    Graham – 0% (0)
    Jindal – 0% (0)
    Santorum – 0% (0)
    Undecided – 9% (11)(

Bush – 44%
    Clinton – 42%

Carson – 49%
    Clinton – 42%

Fiorina – 44%
    Clinton – 43%

Clinton – 45%
    Trump – 43%

Carson 45% (–)
    Biden 45% (–)

Biden 46% (–)
    Fiorina 43% (–)

Biden 46% (45%)
    Bush 41% (39%)

Biden 51% (48%)
    Trump 40% (40%)

Carson 49% (–)
    Sanders 39% (–)

Fiorina 44% (–)
    Sanders 43% (–)

Bush 44% (39%)
    Sanders 44% (43%)

Sanders 47% (44%)
    Trump 42% (41%)

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2283

It's hard to see what the argument is for Hillary if she's polling worse against Republicans than Biden. Her whole appeal to Democrat primary voters was based around a pragmatic "she's our best shot".
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

Interesting, thanks ! We sell mostly to "boring" industries too !
    Great innit. Making things on machines out of raw materials, sticking them in boxes, and sending them round the world. Sometimes I think there's only about two or three of us left!
  • Options
    felix said:

EPG said:

runnymede said:

I presume we must assume the 37% who think Corbyn 'patriotic' are either living in a parallel universe or (more likely) don't actually know who he is.

I don't think he is. But there is nothing wrong with not being patriotic, at least at a time when invasion is unimaginable.
    And as with our parents, we don't get to choose our country.
    No-one is making you stay. Try Venezuela/Cuba/ North Korea ? Thought not.
    So do you think citizens of the countries you have listed ought to be patriotic?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-september-2015-tables.pdf

92% of Tory GE2015 voters support Tory. Equivalent Labour figure is 90%.

So, I cannot see a mass defection from Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

I think the VI component has been released?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

The Pope makes a speech to the great and good in the USA..and then goes to lunch with some homeless people...What a hypocrite..He continuously tells the poor people of the world to make more babies..the future poor and homeless..Never mind..he can always pop back onto his private jet and whisk away to one of his many palaces..along with his well fed team..

Where did the Catholic church get to on paedos within its clergy?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Trump – 25% (28)
    Carson – 17% (12)
    Fiorina – 12% (5)
    Bush – 10% (7)
    Rubio – 9% (7)
    Cruz – 7% (7)
    Huckabee – 2% (3)
    Christie – 2% (4)
    Kasich – 2% (5)
    Paul – 1% (2)
    Pataki – 1% (0)
    Gilmore – 0% (0)
    Graham – 0% (0)
    Jindal – 0% (0)
    Santorum – 0% (0)
    Undecided – 9% (11)(

Bush – 44%
    Clinton – 42%

Carson – 49%
    Clinton – 42%

Fiorina – 44%
    Clinton – 43%

Clinton – 45%
    Trump – 43%

Carson 45% (–)
    Biden 45% (–)

Biden 46% (–)
    Fiorina 43% (–)

Biden 46% (45%)
    Bush 41% (39%)

Biden 51% (48%)
    Trump 40% (40%)

Carson 49% (–)
    Sanders 39% (–)

Fiorina 44% (–)
    Sanders 43% (–)

Bush 44% (39%)
    Sanders 44% (43%)

Sanders 47% (44%)
    Trump 42% (41%)

It's hard to see what the argument is for Hillary if she's polling worse against Republicans than Biden. Her whole appeal to Democrat primary voters was based around a pragmatic "she's our best shot".
    Indeed, on this poll not only is Biden the Democrats most electable candidate, Hillary even does worse than Sanders. However, fortunately for her she still leads Trump, so as long as Trump leads the polls for the GOP nomination she has a chance.

One comfort for Hillary, Bloomberg's latest poll has more Americans seeing her as presidential material than any other candidate, second is Jeb Bush, Trump is last
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-09-23/americans-see-hillary-clinton-jeb-bush-as-presidential-material-bloomberg-poll-finds

• Options

The Pope makes a speech to the great and good in the USA..and then goes to lunch with some homeless people...What a hypocrite..He continuously tells the poor people of the world to make more babies..the future poor and homeless..Never mind..he can always pop back onto his private jet and whisk away to one of his many palaces..along with his well fed team..

Where did the Catholic church get to on paedos within its clergy?
    Still haven't made it compulsory.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Yes there are, the link to the numbers was there when the poll was first posted.

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Corbyn surge, obviously.

SNP only 3% ahead of their 2015 share.

Clearly Sturgeon on the slide.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYFUD I guess lots of people could suffer living in a modest apartment in the Vatican..having all his meals Cooked..utilities paid..clothes laundered..a driver..security guards..lotsa them..If the Chinese want more babies it is entirely up to them and they will provide for them. But good old Popey is telling his followers..most of whom are at extreme poverty levels already..particularly in South American countries..to have more kids, that they cannot possibly feed or educate and in lots of cases..provide a home..Meanwhile Popey does some cheapshit PR number by slinging a few bags of food out of his car in downtown Rome. Then back to his dreary little bedsit for his five course supper.

The Pope is a highly educated Chemistry graduate, probably brighter than Cameron and Obama, who lives modestly for the leader of an organisation of 1 billion members. As SeanF said some countries actually need more babies, especially Catholic Italy or Spain and in South America those babies are needed to provide future income and care for the family (not that I have seen many statements by this Pope on the subject compared to his predecessors). If he does go out to the homeless it is late at night, walking, of his own volition and he certainly does not eat 5 courses. So wrong again
    Modestly.
    He lives in a palace surrounded by mercenary guards and a coterie of simpering nuns. He flies round the world in a private jet. If he wants to save the world he needs to do more praying.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Yes there are, the link to the numbers was there when the poll was first posted.

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Corbyn surge, obviously destroying the SNP.
    Do you think the Tories could beat Labour at Holyrood next May?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-september-2015-tables.pdf

92% of Tory GE2015 voters support Tory. Equivalent Labour figure is 90%.

So, I cannot see a mass defection from Labour.
    That was not reported in the Evening Standard, if so that is better than expected for Corbyn. The Tories up 2% to 39% but Labour up 5% to 35%. UKIP down 5% to 7%.
  • Options

EPG.. I know..I am one of them..what we don't need is someone who lives like a billionaire telling the poor people around the world to have more babies.. to be born into extreme poverty and starvation..and he wraps the message around religion.. so they obey him...it is total hypocrisy..

It seems to me that all religion is hypocritical. The objective is to win recruits to increase its power by influencing the number of those who believe the tosh.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Dunno, clearly Corbyn is helping Labour in England by cannibalising the Green vote.

But in Scotland the Greens are stronger, have PR for Holyrood and they are an Independence Party with a reasonably strong commitment to it (not universal but fairly popular). Meanhile Unionists (as in NI Unionists) which are still relevant in Scotland will be appalled by his IRA sympathies. He will lose Loyalists in West Central Scotland en masse.

Ironically, we could see the opposite of what HYUFD has been predicting - Labour rise in England while fall in Scotland post Corbyn.
  • Options
    Labour again has a big lead in London, 51%-38% and the North, 44%-33%. The Tories lead in the South 44% to 34% and the Midlands 43% to 33%. In Scotland the Tories again on 21%, the SNP fractionally down on 49% and Labour also on 21%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD.I do hope you are joking..and lots of people drive around in Fiats..including myself.

HYUFD.I do hope you are joking..and lots of people drive around in Fiats..including myself.

What billionaire travels in a Fiat and lives in one modest apartment and wears the same cassock like the Pope. Your comments are total rubbish. He is reforming the Church and as far as I see makes more comments about tolerance, climate change and poverty than baby making though some nations like Germany and Italy and South Korea could do with more babies. As leader of a billion Catholics he lives far more modestly than he could
    I've seen pictures of his place and it doesn't look like he's slumming it and he doesn't skimp on his rags.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

I have three businesses in various parts of the tech sector, and all of them are reporting record revenues and orders right now. However, I would note that there is zero China exposure, and lots of Continental Europe, so what was a hinderance in 2013 in a help now.
    By tech sector, do you mean software ? We use software in our products but they are sold entirely, directly or indirectly, to the manufacturing sector.
    One data provider to the gambling industry. (Sales up 20% yoy)
    One PaaS provider to companies worldwide. (Sales up 100% yoy)
    One crowdsourced sports data company. (Sales up 10x, but from a tiny base, so not fair to compare, really...)
    So, we are not comparing like for like. M y clients are people who use machines to make products or make the machine themselves. Of course, software and networks are also involved so that the machines can communicate with the PLC
    No, not like-with-like.

I think capital goods is going to be a very difficult space for the next 18 months, because Chinese Gross Capital Formation (aka investment) is going to go from super-normal levels to sub-normal levels.

It's the natural stocking-destocking, investment-consolidation, cycle. And it just happens that China (and Canada and Australia) haven't had a proper recession in a quarter century.
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/manufacturing-pmi

Our business is going virtually as the CIPS data shows. It will be interesting to see the September figures. We have not been below 50 since early Jan 2013.

It is difficult to believe that even in the beginning of 2010 business confidence was higher than now !
    Although that was off a low base. If things are truly awful and move to slightly less awful, that tends to show up as a positive PMI. Italy, IIRC, has some of the best PMIs in Europe right now (and, indeed, in the world), but that's just a case of things coming off a very level of activity.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour again has a big lead in London, 51%-38% and the North, 44%-33%. The Tories lead in the South 44% to 34% and the Midlands 43% to 33%. In Scotland the Tories again on 21%, the SNP fractionally down on 49% and Labour also on 21%

You're looking at the wrong figures.

Try two tables down once the Certainty figure is included.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Dunno, clearly Corbyn is helping Labour in England by cannibalising the Green vote.

But in Scotland the Greens are stronger, have PR for Holyrood and they are an Independence Party with a reasonably strong commitment to it (not universal but fairly popular). Meanhile Unionists (as in NI Unionists) which are still relevant in Scotland will be appalled by his IRA sympathies. He will lose Loyalists in West Central Scotland en masse.

Ironically, we could see the opposite of what HYUFD has been predicting - Labour rise in England while fall in Scotland post Corbyn.
    The biggest gainers in Scotland since Corbyn seem to be the Tories, though yougov did have Labour up to 28% in Scotland
  • Options
    The very last thing this world need right now is more people..But Catholics, like all other religions, have swallowed the propaganda And I personally do not give a toss if the Pope sneaks out at night on own in his old cassock with a few bags of food..It makes no difference to the starving kids in the Barrios of the world that a dozen or so homeless Italians get a sandwich..He is still asking them to make more kids who will starve for most of their impoverished lives..meanwhile, back in the bedsit he can slip between those nice clean cotton sheets..Job done.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's not the falling birthrate that causes the country to get richer.

There's quite a lot of academic discussion on this question. The one child policy in China, for example, freed up a massive amount of female labour, driving down manufacturing costs, probably contributed to the economic boom there.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Rubbish. He is travelling in a Fiat he lives in a modest apartment and at night often leaves the Vatican to provide food and clothes for the homeless. He does far more for the poor than most world leaders and he is a Catholic not a communist
    I don't think you can call the Popemobile just "a Fiat"!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

saddened said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish. He is travelling in a Fiat he lives in a modest apartment and at night often leaves the Vatican to provide food and clothes for the homeless. He does far more for the poor than most world leaders and he is a Catholic not a communist
    Perhaps I'd be more impressed if he liquidated some of the church's massive assets and used them to really help the poor.
    His Church provides very considerable social services.
    That's marketing
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Modestly.
    He lives in a palace surrounded by mercenary guards and a coterie of simpering nuns. He flies round the world in a private jet. If he wants to save the world he needs to do more praying.
    He lives in 1 apartment in the Vatican, which is the Catholic Church's HQ, not his personal residence. The Swiss Guards are his personal protection team, obviously necessary given the risk of terrorists attacking him. The Catholic Church runs foodbanks, hostels and charities and hospitals, practical action and not just praying
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

The Popemobile is separate, he arrived at the White House in a Fiat
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Corbyn surge, obviously.

I think the usual health warning re: subsets should be heeded. Recently I saw one which showed Tories beating Labour badly in London !
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

EPG.. I know..I am one of them..what we don't need is someone who lives like a billionaire telling the poor people around the world to have more babies.. to be born into extreme poverty and starvation..and he wraps the message around religion.. so they obey him...it is total hypocrisy..

It seems to me that all religion is hypocritical. The objective is to win recruits to increase its power by influencing the number of those who believe the tosh.
    If you accept that people that join a faith end up believing "the tosh", doesn't it follow that those believers might be recruiting others not to increase power, but because they believe it and want to persuade others?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYFUD I guess lots of people could suffer living in a modest apartment in the Vatican..having all his meals Cooked..utilities paid..clothes laundered..a driver..security guards..lotsa them..If the Chinese want more babies it is entirely up to them and they will provide for them. But good old Popey is telling is followers..most of whom are at extreme poverty levels already..particularly in South American countries..to have more kids, that they cannot possibly feed or educate and in lots of cases..provide a home..Meanwhile Popey does some cheapshit PR number by slinging a few bags of food out of his car in downtown Rome. Then back to his dreary little bedsit for his five course supper.

Baby making is sensible in very poor countries with very high death rates. That way, people can ensure there will be children to look after them in old age. Also, it enables the society to recover rapidly from the effects of war and natural disaster. As a country gets richer, so the birthrate naturally falls. It's not the falling birthrate that causes the country to get richer.

Baby making is also sensible in rich country's where the total fertility rate has fallen well below replacement level.
    Is this how the errtant clergy got the message?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2015
    I think the VI component has been released
    Indeed.

And somehow, Ipsos continue, as they did during the election, to find vast numbers of public sector workers who will/can answer the phone. The rest of the working population seems a lot harder to reach.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Those are the main voting intention figures for all voters, not just a subsample you have selected of those with a 9/10 certainty to vote
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Modestly.
    It was my understanding the current Pope does not live in the papal power but a rather modest apartment. I have a lot of criticisms of the Bishop of Rome, but living it up isn't one of them.
  • Options
    @Casino_Royale:

I'm not a big fan of God Save the Queen, simply because I find it a dull and uninspiring tune. Were there a referendum on making Jerusalem the National Anthem, I would be leading the charge.

In fact, why doesn't some party make that a manifesto pledge. I'd vote for that.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYFUD I guess lots of people could suffer living in a modest apartment in the Vatican..having all his meals Cooked..utilities paid..clothes laundered..a driver..security guards..lotsa them..If the Chinese want more babies it is entirely up to them and they will provide for them. But good old Popey is telling is followers..most of whom are at extreme poverty levels already..particularly in South American countries..to have more kids, that they cannot possibly feed or educate and in lots of cases..provide a home..Meanwhile Popey does some cheapshit PR number by slinging a few bags of food out of his car in downtown Rome. Then back to his dreary little bedsit for his five course supper.

Baby making is sensible in very poor countries with very high death rates. That way, people can ensure there will be children to look after them in old age.
    How to make a kid feel wanted. "We only had you so you can look after us when we are doubly incontinent...."

What do they do with the ones they ultimately don't need? Is this where Save The Children comes in?
  • Options

What about Judaism?
  • Options
    Good interview with Hungary FM on BBC News Channel
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

I'm not a big fan of God Save the Queen, simply because I find it a dull and uninspiring tune. Were there a referendum on making Jerusalem the National Anthem, I would be leading the charge.

In fact, why doesn't some party make that a manifesto pledge. I'd vote for that.

None can hold a candle to Hen wlad fy nhadau at the Millennium mind. Just saying.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

Corbyn surge, obviously.

I think the usual health warning re: subsets should be heeded. Recently I saw one which showed Tories beating Labour badly in London !
    Absolutely, anyone reading much into subsets is only deluding themselves.

Which was why my post was aimed at HYUFD who was making utterly risible claims based on a subset (while ignoring two others) a couple of days ago.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What billionaire travels in a Fiat and lives in one modest apartment and wears the same cassock like the Pope. Your comments are total rubbish. He is reforming the Church and as far as I see makes more comments about tolerance, climate change and poverty than baby making though some nations like Germany and Italy and South Korea could do with more babies. As leader of a billion Catholics he lives far more modestly than he could
    I've seen pictures of his place and it doesn't look like he's slumming it and he doesn't skimp on his rags.
    The Vatican is his office and he should not be slumming it but looking respectable and ensuring the Catholic Church has enough resources to help, just not ostentatious. As Thatcher said "Nobody would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only good intentions. He had money as well."
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Modestly.
    It was my understanding the current Pope does not live in the papal power but a rather modest apartment. I have a lot of criticisms of the Bishop of Rome, but living it up isn't one of them.
    Exactly right
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

Jerusalem is specifically about England.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Those are the main voting intention figures for all voters, not just a subsample you have selected of those with a 9/10 certainty to vote
    W

T

F

You get more and more ridiculous.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

I suspect the likes of Corbyn would dislike Jerusalem even more...which is probably as good a reason as any to make it the National Anthem.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

EPG said:

runnymede said:

Why does not singing the national anthem make you unpatriotic, in your view?

I think of myself as patriotic, but I can't say the British/English flags make me feel any emotions (either positive or negative), nor does the anthem. For me, loving the country means loving and being proud of us as a people and our ways (which I do).
    Corbyn not singing the national anthem is just one piece of evidence demonstrating Corbyn's lack of patriotism. His strong desire to give away British territories over the heads of the British people living in them is another.
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

W

T

F

You get more and more ridiculous.
    Turnout at the general election was 66% in the UK, 71% in Scotland, only looking at those with a 90%+ chance of voting as you are ignores many potential voters
  • Options
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

If Lab did end up in 3rd next year, do you think Dugdale would have to resign or would they give her more time?
  • Options
    JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

Could we have a specific anthem for England only sporting events then?
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

I hadn't realised its use was governed by decree
  • Options

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

If Lab did end up in 3rd next year, do you think Dugdale would have to resign or would they give her more time?
    If Labour finish third Kezia might be the only MSP left standing.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085
    rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

What if we jazzed it up a bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

Could we have a specific anthem for England only sporting events then?
    Might make sense. Oddly the Scottish Rugby Union used to have GSTQ till about 20 (?? feels like about 20 at least) years ago. Ireland of course have two anthems at the rugby. The Ireland's Call one and The Republic's official Soldiers' Song.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

I suspect the likes of Corbyn would dislike Jerusalem even more...which is probably as good a reason as any to make it the National Anthem.
    As the "Flower of Scotland" and "Land of my Fathers" have become de-facto anthems for Scotland and Wales anyway, why not make "Land of Hope and Glory" the English anthem.

I would say as much as 30% of the population, one way or the other, does not think GStQ is not the appropriate NA.

They still support British athletes etc. Their countries in football etc. They are patriotic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Modestly.
    He lives in 1 apartment in the Vatican, which is the Catholic Church's HQ, not his personal residence. The Swiss Guards are his personal protection team, obviously necessary given the risk of terrorists attacking him. The Catholic Church runs foodbanks, hostels and charities and hospitals, practical action and not just praying
    That apartment must be the one with the nice balcony and terrific views. Similarly he also has Castel Gandolfo to retreat to if he wants to get away for a bit. Neither may belong to him but he has lifelong rent free,exclusive access (staffing, food, maintenance etc included). Who needs ownership? If there's room to spare why doesn't he take some of Rome's homeless in then he won't have to go out to dispense the leftovers.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2015
    @surbiton

'Please read the FT ! Presumably, they are writing "rubbish".'

You are very selectively using the FT figures as in 'June 2015' which of course deliberately exclude what's been happening over the past 20 years because it completely rubbishes your claim 'most people don't want to come here'

• Options
    JEO said:

Danny565 said:

EPG said:

runnymede said:

Why does not singing the national anthem make you unpatriotic, in your view?

I think of myself as patriotic, but I can't say the British/English flags make me feel any emotions (either positive or negative), nor does the anthem. For me, loving the country means loving and being proud of us as a people and our ways (which I do).
    Corbyn not singing the national anthem is just one piece of evidence demonstrating Corbyn's lack of patriotism. His strong desire to give away British territories over the heads of the British people living in them is another.
    If we go through the film footage of the past few years, can we be sure that every politician actually sings the anthem. I do know, for example, many footballers do not.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

What about Judaism?
    Quite a lot of religions either don't accept converts or do so only grudgingly. Not the more numerically successful ones, mind you. One of the reasons the Jains and Zoroastrians haven't been doing so well.
  • Options
    Tories want to flog off Channel 4 now. Fox 4 perhaps?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

The very last thing this world need right now is more people..But Catholics, like all other religions, have swallowed the propaganda And I personally do not give a toss if the Pope sneaks out at night on own in his old cassock with a few bags of food..It makes no difference to the starving kids in the Barrios of the world that a dozen or so homeless Italians get a sandwich..He is still asking them to make more kids who will starve for most of their impoverished lives..meanwhile, back in the bedsit he can slip between those nice clean cotton sheets..Job done.

The world is quite capable of supporting more people than at present. Cutting it's population is not the way for a society to grow rich.
  • Options
    Reggie Cide..You know what the homeless are like..no time at all before they are spread out across the couch...eaten all the biscuits and worst crime of all..taken control of the TV clicker...best to keep them outside of ones Palace
  • Options
    In Scotland, 40% of Scots think Cameron would make the best PM, 32% Corbyn, so that is narrower than England where 55% think Cameron would make the best PM, 26% Corbyn, but Cameron is still ahead in Scotland
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-september-2015-tables.pdf (p34)
  • Options
    JEO said:

If you accept that people that join a faith end up believing "the tosh", doesn't it follow that those believers might be recruiting others not to increase power, but because they believe it and want to persuade others?
    That may be so but the godfather and his made men have to know the game. The control of the gullible ones down the line is the game.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's not the falling birthrate that causes the country to get richer.

There's quite a lot of academic discussion on this question. The one child policy in China, for example, freed up a massive amount of female labour, driving down manufacturing costs, probably contributed to the economic boom there.
    But, it will cause China big problems down the line, as the working population shrinks and the retired population increases.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The media have started to take an interest in my MND Campaign , the National published this piece with some classic quotes - my favourite was;

“Two weeks later I was in the Southern General being told: ‘You’ve got 18 months to two years to live, mate.’ There was very little sugar-coating. Glaswegian doctors tell it like it is.”

http://www.thenational.scot/news/mnd-sufferer-given-weeks-to-live-wants-to-help-others-defy-doctors.7882

Anyway I think I need to refine my interview technique a bit before my next outing, which is going to be on radio !! - My Campaign site link is;

https://www.justgiving.com/Calum-Ferguson1/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The world is quite capable of supporting more people than at present. Cutting it's population is not the way for a society to grow rich.
    Population reduction might not necessarily be great but I think encouraging birth control in Africa would be a good thing. Things are changing somewhat but the Catholic Church has hardly helped.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Modestly.
    That apartment must be the one with the nice balcony and terrific views. Similarly he also has Castel Gandolfo to retreat to if he wants to get away for a bit. Neither may belong to him but he has lifelong rent free,exclusive access (staffing, food, maintenance etc included). Who needs ownership? If there's room to spare why doesn't he take some of Rome's homeless in then he won't have to go out to dispense the leftovers.
    Why don't you do something for others, instead of just sneering at people who make an effort.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    surbiton said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

As the "Flower of Scotland" and "Land of my Fathers" have become de-facto anthems for Scotland and Wales anyway, why not make "Land of Hope and Glory" the English anthem.

I would say as much as 30% of the population, one way or the other, does not think GStQ is not the appropriate NA.

They still support British athletes etc. Their countries in football etc. They are patriotic.
    I quite agree - Jerusalem is sung by the Barmy Army at the cricket (even though it is England and Wales). What I was getting at is that Jerusalem is quasi-religious and hints more strongly at the connection between culture and the nation than God Save the Queen. Some on the left might not like that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    HYUFD said:

In Scotland, 40% of Scots think Cameron would make the best PM, 32% Corbyn, so that is narrower than England where 55% think Cameron would make the best PM, 26% Corbyn, but Cameron is still ahead in Scotland
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-september-2015-tables.pdf (p34)

Tory surge nailed on.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Those patriotic figures are a killer.

The country will never elect someone they consider unpatriotic

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" - Dr Johnson</blockquote

That is a great quote but it is about scoundrels and not about patriotism.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What about Judaism?
    I stand by my observation. Judaism may be more discrete but is driven by the same motivation.
  • Options
    Merkel now saying Send them Back. So now aligned with Hungary.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Pope is a highly educated Chemistry graduate, probably brighter than Cameron and Obama,
    Modestly.
    No, he does not live in the Papal apartments in the apostolic palace which he only uses for audiences but the Casa Santa Marta, which also accomodates visiting clergy and lay people
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/the-pope/10086876/Pope-Francis-shunned-official-papal-apartments-to-live-normal-life.html

The Pope is also providing homes for 2 refugee families in the Vatican
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-promises-to-take-in-two-refugee-families-and-urges-others-to-follow-his-example-10488748.html
  • Options
    Has Jeremy Corbyn said anything about the status of Gibraltar?
  • Options
    JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

@Casino_Royale:

There's nothing wrong with our National Anthem. Some ratbag scarab of an ignorant socialist is so glum and full of bile he cannot bring himself to sing or even murmur it on a solemn ceremonial occasion - and all of a sudden we have to discuss abolishing it?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Tory surge nailed on.
    Undoubtedly some of that 40% includes SNP voters which suggests they are not as leftwing as some may think, Corbyn still more popular in Scotland than England though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Vatican is his office and he should not be slumming it but looking respectable and ensuring the Catholic Church has enough resources to help, just not ostentatious. As Thatcher said "Nobody would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only good intentions. He had money as well."
    So you think he sleeps in the office? On a put-you-up? And you think his style is unostentatious? Are we discussing the same bloke?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What about Judaism?
    I stand by my observation. Judaism may be more discrete but is driven by the same motivation.
    It's a mistake to assume that people you dislike are activated by base motives.
  • Options
    Most of the 219 Cardinals look like a little bit of fasting to help the hungry might be in order..and let us not forget the archbishops..Bishops, Monsignors and all the other hangers on... who all live in splendid accommodation.. plus are all attended by numerous flunkeys..Then there are the cars and flights around the world mainly at the front end of the plane... its a tough life telling the poor to make themselves even more poor..
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you think he sleeps in the office? On a put-you-up? And you think his style is unostentatious? Are we discussing the same bloke?
    He does not live in the Papal apartments and no his style is not ostentatious clearly
  • Options

JEO said:

That may be so but the godfather and his made men have to know the game. The control of the gullible ones down the line is the game.
    Like Corbyn then.
  • Options

Most of the 219 Cardinals look like a little bit of fasting to help the hungry might be in order..and let us not forget the archbishops..Bishops, Monsignors and all the other hangers on... who all live in splendid accommodation.. plus are all attended by numerous flunkeys..Then there are the cars and flights around the world mainly at the front end of the plane... its a tough life telling the poor to make themselves even more poor..

If you want to become rich, becoming a Catholic Priest is not the way to go about it.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: Ipsos MORI/Evening Standard:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255
    https://t.co/hmMOCPJQW5

Those numbers look a bit out of whack to me due to the fact that the Greens have lost half their votes and are still on their GE score. Effectively if you add together Lab+LD+Green then this combined total is 4% higher than the GE. I also don't buy that UKIP has lost nearly half its vote while the migrant crisis is in the news every day.
    I agree that the numberst look a bit odd. It looks very flattering to labour indeed. I'm not sure where they are finding all these voters who are so forgiving of so poor a start.

Having said that for the 30 years I've been following politics it has been an article of faith that a very left wing Labour leader would be politically disastrous. It seemed a view with a lot of evidence and I believed it. But much as that is a very poor poll for labour, it is nowhere near the disaster I would have expected it to be.

I wonder if deep down under the surface political opinion has stopped drifting to the right and is now drifting back to the left.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Land And Hope And Glory because it's dreary but I'll admit to a certain fondness for Rule Britannia.

Thinking back to 1997 and New Labour's 'modernisation' programme it's a surprise they didn't consider doing something about the anthem, particularly after Diana's death when there was a hint of republicanism in the air. They could have kept the same tune as a compromise and got Elton John to come up with some new lyrics.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Has Jeremy Corbyn said anything about the status of Gibraltar?

There was a bit in the local paper on the 15th saying that Chief Minister Picardo had asked Corbyn for a statement but that's been it publicly as I recall.

We're getting ready for a General Election here which might be called within the next few days so we're too busy with local stuff to worry about the unlikely prospect of PM Corbyn years away!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Those numbers look a bit out of whack to me due to the fact that the Greens have lost half their votes and are still on their GE score. Effectively if you add together Lab+LD+Green then this combined total is 4% higher than the GE. I also don't buy that UKIP has lost nearly half its vote while the migrant crisis is in the news every day.
    I agree that the numberst look a bit odd. It looks very flattering to labour indeed. I'm not sure where they are finding all these voters who are so forgiving of so poor a start.

Having said that for the 30 years I've been following politics it has been an article of faith that a very left wing Labour leader would be politically disastrous. It seemed a view with a lot of evidence and I believed it. But much as that is a very poor poll for labour, it is nowhere near the disaster I would have expected it to be.

I wonder if deep down under the surface political opinion has stopped drifting to the right and is now drifting back to the left.
    Ipsos MORI is out of line with the others, who put the Right on 50-55%.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

rcs1000 said:

What about Judaism?
    No
  • Options

I'm not a fan of Land And Hope And Glory because it's dreary but I'll admit to a certain fondness for Rule Britannia.

Thinking back to 1997 and New Labour's 'modernisation' programme it's a surprise they didn't consider doing something about the anthem, particularly after Diana's death when there was a hint of republicanism in the air. They could have kept the same tune as a compromise and got Elton John to come up with some new lyrics.

Comrades, The Voices, is a jaunty anthem.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

CON 39 (+2)
    LAB 34 (+3)
    LIB 8 (-2)
    UKIP 7 (-2)
    GRN 4 (-4)
    SNP 5 (=)

19th-22nd
    N=1,255

Ipsos MORI is out of line with the others, who put the Right on 50-55%.
    Ipsos Mori is in line with other pollsters though in having the Tories up as well. It seems Corbyn has increased the Labour vote slightly thanks to defections from the Greens and LDs, but the Tories have also gained some Labour and UKIP votes too, so the net effect is not much change in terms of swing
  • Options

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 53%
    Con 22%
    Lab 19%

She would likely to get forced out, there are a couple of others that want the job and they would have every reason to be supported if they drop to third place.
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    Sean_F said:

If you want to become rich, become a Catholic Priest is not the way to go about it.
    Indeed, priests earn about £25,000, ie slightly below the national average. Almost all those priests will be graduates, and many will be postgraduates

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_7461871_average-salary-catholic-priest.html
  • Options
    SeanF.Who said anything about becoming rich... Tis a pity that so many Princes of the Church live a rich lifestyle tho.They have all forgotten the lad who started all this stuff..