Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready folks for an election to remember….!

Comments

• IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

My English friends tell me that if the NATS stood down south they would vote for them in a second.

Yes, but not because we love the SNP, but in the hopes you will call a referendum and get it right this time so we don't have to listen to another decade of mithering and grievance mongering!
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Scott_P said:

scotslass said:

Salmond put them front and centre of the UK election.

And Nicola has spent all week trying to recover...
    I do love the level of denial and failure to accept reality amongst Brit Nationalists.

Of course they are "trying to recover" I mean, they;re only on 48% or so of the popular vote. A level that the Tories and Labour could only dream of and why they are reduced to fielding "35% strategies".

They're playing a blinder. They used their lead decoy, guaranteed to get acres of coverage, to put them all over the press all week, meanwhile Good Cop Nicola doesn't need to do anything but capitalise on her status as the only party leader in the UK who has a positive approval rating across the whole of the UK.

Yet despite this utter dominance, perhaps even because of it, they are still trying to reach out and in her speech today she made it clear that they will want to do better, still want to build a consensus with more of the voters and get their support ever higher.

It is little wonder you are quaking with fear.
  • frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    My small town library has TWO copies of my book.
  • scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Scot P

OK what do you think the first poll will show or is it just a case of all mouth and no trousers!
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited March 2015

Is that a typical macho male response from you Plato? :)

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

My English friends tell me that if the NATS stood down south they would vote for them in a second.

I think its a very southern response. There are a fair few people I know who live on Tyneside and Wearside who, if they could vote SNP, would. Many are starting to feel very let down by Labour and don't have another left wing party to vote for,,
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

scotslass said:

Salmond put them front and centre of the UK election.

And Nicola has spent all week trying to recover...
    I do love the level of denial and failure to accept reality amongst Brit Nationalists.

Of course they are "trying to recover" I mean, they;re only on 48% or so of the popular vote. A level that the Tories and Labour could only dream of and why they are reduced to fielding "35% strategies".

They're playing a blinder. They used their lead decoy, guaranteed to get acres of coverage, to put them all over the press all week, meanwhile Good Cop Nicola doesn't need to do anything but capitalise on her status as the only party leader in the UK who has a positive approval rating across the whole of the UK.

Yet despite this utter dominance, perhaps even because of it, they are still trying to reach out and in her speech today she made it clear that they will want to do better, still want to build a consensus with more of the voters and get their support ever higher.

It is little wonder you are quaking with fear.
    As usual Nats counting their chickens.
    Salmond getting his comeuppance in Gordon would be priceless.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Want to control immigration? Don't forget to order your mug...

@stephenkb: Oh my god Labour have made a "controlling immigration" mug. http://t.co/bqdYJlAh0x
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Scott_P said:

@stephenkb: Oh my god Labour have made a "controlling immigration" mug. http://t.co/bqdYJlAh0x

It would be more fitting if they were handling out brass necks instead.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

This may not ever happen again, and will have changed in an hour or two, but, right this minute: Ijstweeling is THE best-selling ebook in the Netherlands.

http://www.bol.com/nl/m/nederlandse-boeken/nederlandse-ebooks/N/8299+8293+7419/index.html?promo=nederlandse-ebooks_jumpstation_nederlandse-ebooks_B1_nederlandse-ebooks__

Goodness me, you're outselling Hoe absorberend is uw keuken roll?

Well done!
    An interesting and slightly sobering thing I've learned from the ICE TWINS, in Europe, is how many Dutch will quite happily buy a book in English.

For a a couple of days a few weeks ago, before the Dutch version came out, ICE TWINS (in English) was in the Dutch ebook top ten.

It is of course inconceivable that any foreign language book could reach the top 1000 in the UK.

Why are the Dutch SO good at foreign languages, especially English? Is it just because they are immersed in it from birth, so they grow up bilingual? Or do they teach it in some brilliant way? Or both? And why can't we just copy what they do?
    It certainly is interesting why the Dutch and the Scandies all appear to have grasps of multiple languages, not just their own and English.
  • Dair said:

Dair said:

scotslass said:

ScoT P

This week has been a stunning success for the SNP. Salmond has placed the at the centre of a campaign when they usually struggle to be relevant . This weekend Nicola will get huge coverage from their massive Conference and next week appears in the big debate. Here is a small prediction for you. The first poll will show the SNP lead extending in Scotland. Just as the local by elections yesterday indicated.

The good cop, bad cop routine has developed really well. Today Nicola came riding to the rescue for the rest of the UK, the only person to protect them from the Big Bad Salmond and deliver populist policy which will go down very well in the rUK.
    Haha

I think most voters in rUK are absolutely horrified by Nicola's populist policies.

That's why the prospect of the SNP having a say, is the biggest weapon the tories have at the moment.
    And the continual bashing out of that message is working SO well for the Tories. Their vote share is just soaring the more they come up with comedy posters attacking the wrong target.
    If I lived in a marginal seat in England, I might consider tactically voting to stop SNP being part of the UK government.

I have nothing against Scotland or it's population and am agnostic on independence.

I do think that via the Barnet formula and devo-max that the Scots get a reasonable deal as it is and do not like the prospect of what would be a weak Labour government being taken advantage of.

I can't see Ed putting principle before power if and when he gets there, given what he will have been through to get there (like Brown in that respect)
    edited March 2015
    Put your hand up if you are running the SNP

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02745/salmond-sturgeon_2745954b.jpg
    Nicola Sturgeon's "speech came following days of questions over whether Alex Salmond is really running her party’s election strategy after he gave a series of interviews portraying himself as kingmaker in a hung parliament.

He undermined her “red line” conditions for propping up a minority Labour government, such as scrapping the renewal of Trident, by stating SNP MPs would install Ed Miliband in Downing Street even if their demands were ignored."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11501740/Nicola-Sturgeon-offers-Labour-pact-to-make-Ed-Miliband-PM.html
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    MP_SE said:

It is incredibly annoying seeing everyone on Twitter claiming they had an excellent result canvassing. Almost as annoying as activists spewing out a never ending stream of attacks on other parties and failing to promote their own party.

Yes, I know. I've more or ;less stopped talking about individual canvass sessions and just restrict myself to anecdotes for entertainment. The truth is that not much is moving either way, and hasn't been for a long time.

When you asked them if they had watched the debate, did any of them reply "Hell, yes" ?

Lol - no, but one of them said he'd ordered the T-shirt! He asked eagerly if I was getting one too.

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

This may not ever happen again, and will have changed in an hour or two, but, right this minute: Ijstweeling is THE best-selling ebook in the Netherlands.

http://www.bol.com/nl/m/nederlandse-boeken/nederlandse-ebooks/N/8299+8293+7419/index.html?promo=nederlandse-ebooks_jumpstation_nederlandse-ebooks_B1_nederlandse-ebooks__

Well done!
    An interesting and slightly sobering thing I've learned from the ICE TWINS, in Europe, is how many Dutch will quite happily buy a book in English.

For a a couple of days a few weeks ago, before the Dutch version came out, ICE TWINS (in English) was in the Dutch ebook top ten.

It is of course inconceivable that any foreign language book could reach the top 1000 in the UK.

Why are the Dutch SO good at foreign languages, especially English? Is it just because they are immersed in it from birth, so they grow up bilingual? Or do they teach it in some brilliant way? Or both? And why can't we just copy what they do?
    I have some Dutch friends who'll read English - and would typically prefer to read the English original than a Dutch translation.

They're definitely brought up bilingual from childhood as standard, but also worth remembering that many major authors write primarily in English. If you enjoy reading, then you have a much wider selection of books available to you if you read it in English - plus if you can enjoy the original you can read it as its meant to be rather than reading a translation.

That's not something that's the case in this country.

• felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:

Jeez - vote Labour and get free mugs - you couldn't make it up. Way to go Lucy :)
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Heavy exposure to the BBC for the last 50 years, the understanding that English would offer long term economic benefits and possibly a lack of Dutch being a particularly "unique" or "special" language in itself.

Languages in the UK were always hampered by the old colonial attitude of expecting others to speak English combined with a focus on French to suit the South of England when it would have been far better to focus on Spanish (back before the rise of China) and Mandarin (today).
  • eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

I think its a very southern response. There are a fair few people I know who live on Tyneside and Wearside who, if they could vote SNP, would. Many are starting to feel very let down by Labour and don't have another left wing party to vote for,,
    Out of interest, is there any constitutional barrier to the SNP fielding candidates outside of Scotland?
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Good because they have to be. Imagine trying to travel the world as a Dutch monoglot.

By the same token the English speakers are at an unfair disadvantage. It's virtually impossible anywhere in the world to find people to practise your foreign languages on, who aren't even keener to practise their English on you.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

My small town library has TWO copies of my book.

Admit it, you put them there!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    notme said:

scotslass said:

Scott P , Bigjowls and Roger

The issue is whether the SNP have had a good week or not . I say they have for the reasons stated. You lot say not because you fear/ hate Salmond and don't rate Nicola. You are right to fear Salmond and wrong to under rate Nicola.

Anyway the first real poll will tell us whether I am right or you are. Now you three gents should put up or ..,,,,,

Have you ever seen any SNP supporter admit that anything is ever less than perfect for the party. All weeks are always good which means you can always discount what they say.

Have you noticed that about canvassing? Everyone always seems to have had "great feedback on the doorstep, positive campaign" "Fantastic reception to message in little bigholme" "lots of enthusiastic responses tonight".

Im a seasoned canvasser. You do now and then get really great nights, sometimes in unexpected areas. But you also get some really awful ones.

"voter swore at me tonight for walking on grass, put her down as a probable". "knuckles bleeding from dog grabbing leaflet from letterbox", "told to F off three times and threatened with a smack in the mouth twice this evening", "im having my tea and i wouldnt vote you F-ing lot if my arse was on fire, do one, and you better close the F-ing gate"

No never see that in a tweet...
    What always amuses me is people who make the effort to chase you up the street to give you your leaflets back. They must think they give off toxic fumes that would escape the recycling bin...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

Out of interest, is there any constitutional barrier to the SNP fielding candidates outside of Scotland?
    Don't see why they can't.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    |Completely unrelated to people dressing up aimlessly at political meetings.

Yemen.

Within 48-72 hours we could a genuine inter state conflict break out.

Within Yemen on one side you have the Iranian backed Houthis who now hold a large amount of territory and were marching on Aden, one of the last major population holdouts of the Sunni government, who are backed by the Saudis, most of the Gulf states and Egypt, none of which fancy an Iranian proxy holding such a strategically positioned country.

The Saudi/Egyptian led intervention began in earnest a couple of days ago and continues with airstrikes designed to both halt the Houthi advance and also take out supply line ports and airfields. Small numbers of Egyptian forces in particular have made landings to seize port facilities right at the mouth of the Straits bordering the Red Sea. A very large number of Saudi and GCC forces sit on the Saudi side of the border and there are reports both they and further Egyptian forces are gearing to move in. A Saudi no fly zone over most of Yemen has been announced.

How serious is this? It all depends on whether the Iranians, who covet Yemen coming under control of their proxy, take this lying down. They currently have limited routes to supply their Houthi allies who, if the Saudis and Egyptians go in in force, are going to find things tough. Signs so far are that Iran will not let this go, but a live Saudi/Egyptian ground intervention in force might necessitate a very direct Iranian response.

Add to that volatile mix that there have been reported (but not confirmed) clashes between Egyptian and Iranian naval vessels around the Red Sea Straits, the very strong support from Pakistan for the Saudis and the fact that large tracts of the sparsely populated interior of the country are Al Qaeda grounds and this situation could easily boil into a proper multiple inter-state military conflict.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Good Schools and an incentive to do so - not sure all 'foreign languages, but certainly from my experience*, most Dutch will have mastered English by their teens and will watch English speaking films without subtitles or dubbing. I'm not surprised they also read books in English to - Germany is very similar in that respect although not quite as advanced imho. We regularly send over the English versions of books to my niece and nephew for that reason.

*(lived there for a couple of years)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,526
    Off-topic:

Tragic scenes at the Nurburgring Nordschleife today, where British driver Jann Mardenborough's Nissan GT flipped and crashed into the crowd, killing a spectator and injuring several others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/one-fan-killed-and-several-injured-in-nurburgring-crash-as-video-shows-british-driver-jann-mardenboroughs-nissan-take-off-10141046.html

Shades of the flying Mercs of a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kvDkNXLrn4

RIP. This really should not have happened on so many levels.
    edited March 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Good because they have to be. Imagine trying to travel the world as a Dutch monoglot.

By the same token the English speakers are at an unfair disadvantage. It's virtually impossible anywhere in the world to find people to practise your foreign languages on, who aren't even keener to practise their English on you.
    From an economic point of view, I would expect Dutch to be as useful as French given that it is mutually intelligible with German. You can go to South Africa, Germany, Austria, Namibia and small parts of South America and use Dutch. French doesn't really cover much more of the world and economically probably less GDP.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2015
    I've just spent the last day and a half trying to explain the concept of percentage points to someone on the internet.

What am I doing? Why am I wasting my life?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited March 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

It's virtually impossible anywhere in the world to find people to practise your foreign languages on, who aren't even keener to practise their English on you.

Try Paris.

edited March 2015

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

The SNP policy is not to stand outside Scotland. There is no other reason than the party chose not to.

Personally I think this is a bit stupid.

The policy should be not to stand in England, Wales or Northern Ireland which would allow them to put up a candidate in Berwick-Upon-Tweed which is in neither England nor Scotland.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Scott_P said:

They already made mugs of their natural supporters by failing to control it
  • Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

Why are the Dutch SO good at foreign languages, especially English? Is it just because they are immersed in it from birth, so they grow up bilingual? Or do they teach it in some brilliant
    way? Or both? And why can't we just copy what they do?

Because Dutch folks want to read or watch the endless content available in English, whether books, US TV, Hollywood films or on the Internet etc. It's the same in many small European countries, especially those that are multilingual anyway.

As such, they have all the positive elements needed for language learning - clear motivation, opportunities to practice, educational integration, support, immersion from birth etc.

In the UK, you actively have to seek out the relatively limited content in other languages, and you have to make a decision about what to learn. There's too many options available, little support and most people understandably don't see much point.

In general, learning a second language in the UK is mostly a pointless feel-good intellectual exercise, as opposed to being a pragmatic and useful skill like it is for the Dutch.

Plus, according to multilingual folks, English is supposed to be really easy to learn, far easier than French or German. English grammar is relatively simple.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

You may prefer this mug:

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/vote_labour_except_the_english_mug-168012334971093572
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Most Dutch that I know don't watch dubbed programmes and try and read media in English. Additionally they start learning foreign languages at a younger age and they have good teachers.
    I did a work placement part of which was briefly in Sweden, Swedish boss corrected my English.
    Wales hammering Israel in tel aviv

Ramsey just put them 1-0 up, should be 3 or 4
    Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

Why are the Dutch SO good at foreign languages, especially English? Is it just because they are immersed in it from birth, so they grow up bilingual? Or do they teach it in some brilliant

Because Dutch folks want to watch and read the endless content available in English, whether books, US TV or Hollywood films etc. It's the same in many small European countries.

As such, they have all the positive elements needed for language learning - clear motivation, opportunities to practice, educational integration, support, immersion from birth etc.

In the UK, you actively have to seek out the relatively limited content in other languages, and you have to make a decision about what to learn. There's too many options available and people understandably don't see much point.
    The big difference in the Netherlands is that language is not really part of their identity. Their identity is much more religious and geographically based. As such the "language defenses" a lot of countries have put up have never been particularly common in the Netherlands. Two of their Universities switched to English only tuition a couple of decades ago (not "international" universities you get in some countries, actual normal universities).

I can't be arsed looking it up but I would suspect that Flemings have a much lower percentage of fluent English speakers and a much stronger language identity to Dutch.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    SeanT said:

Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

From an economic point of view, I would expect Dutch to be as useful as French given that it is mutually intelligible with German. You can go to South Africa, Germany, Austria, Namibia and small parts of South America and use German. French doesn't really cover much more of the world and economically probably less GDP.
    German is practically useless in Namibia outside a couple of bierkellers in Luderitz and Swakop (I've toured Namibia several times). I'm also very skeptical that it is much help anywhere in South America.

It is more useful in Eastern Europe and Turkey (all those gastarbeiten).

French is still widely spoken in much of Africa (admittedly by very poor people, and it is slowly but inexorably losing ground to English).
    English is the best language in the world!

isam said:

Scott_P said:

You may prefer this mug:

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/vote_labour_except_the_english_mug-168012334971093572
    More honest!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    Going to Netherlands over Easter :)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SeanT said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Jeez - vote Labour and get free mugs - you couldn't make it up. Way to go Lucy :)
    Is Labour's election campaign a deliberate copy of Andreas Lubitz's flight plan?

Too early?
    Errrr Yes!
  • frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    As a mere deliverer of leaflets, I would consider voting for any party that promised to ban all front doors that didn't have their letter box halfway up.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Dair said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Heavy exposure to the BBC for the last 50 years, the understanding that English would offer long term economic benefits and possibly a lack of Dutch being a particularly "unique" or "special" language in itself.

Languages in the UK were always hampered by the old colonial attitude of expecting others to speak English combined with a focus on French to suit the South of England when it would have been far better to focus on Spanish (back before the rise of China) and Mandarin (today).
    Spanish has probably usurped German's runner-up spot to become the second foreign language taught in most schools. To be cynical, we'd probably do better teaching English, and especially written English, to a higher standard if we want to communicate with foreigners.
    SeanT said:

EDIT: *Unless you really think Kitchen Dutch, i.e. Afrikaans, is completely interchangeable with German. I doubt this.

My understanding was they were mutually intelligible aurally much like the Scando languages but not necessarily when written but I've never really looked into it in much detail and could well be wrong.
    Alistair said:

I did a work placement part of which was briefly in Sweden, Swedish boss corrected my English.

My ex was Swedish and she used to correct my English constantly as well as telling me I was getting the wrong tube home etc

I said 'give us a ring later' once and it was the trigger for an almighty Barney!

'Us? You and who else? Why us?'

edited March 2015
    Dair said:

Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

Because Dutch folks want to watch and read the endless content available in English, whether books, US TV or Hollywood films etc. It's the same in many small European countries.

In the UK, you actively have to seek out the relatively limited content in other languages, and you have to make a decision about what to learn. There's too many options available and people understandably don't see much point.
    The big difference in the Netherlands is that language is not really part of their identity. Their identity is much more religious and geographically based. As such the "language defenses" a lot of countries have put up have never been particularly common in the Netherlands. Two of their Universities switched to English only tuition a couple of decades ago (not "international" universities you get in some countries, actual normal universities).

I can't be arsed looking it up but I would suspect that Flemings have a much lower percentage of fluent English speakers and a much stronger language identity to Dutch.
    Most people in Belgium speak English too, at least in part because their population is split between different native languages so English has become the lingua franca.
    SeanT said:

Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

From an economic point of view, I would expect Dutch to be as useful as French given that it is mutually intelligible with German. You can go to South Africa, Germany, Austria, Namibia and small parts of South America and use German. French doesn't really cover much more of the world and economically probably less GDP.
    German is practically useless in Namibia outside a couple of bierkellers in Luderitz and Swakop (I've toured Namibia several times). I'm also very skeptical that it is much help anywhere in South America.

It is more useful in Eastern Europe and Turkey (all those gastarbeiten).

French is still widely spoken in much of Africa (admittedly by very poor people, and it is slowly but inexorably losing ground to English).
    Dutch is quite useful there though, as similar to Afrikaans.

I travelled the Netherlands with a South African lad who spoke Afrikaans to the locals. They understood a lot of it, though found a lot of expressions archaic.

French is waning a bit, but quite a good start into the Romance languages. German and Dutch less so.

I can get through consultations in Hindi/Urdu, but learnt that in sunny Leicester!
  • Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015

As a mere deliverer of leaflets, I would consider voting for any party that promised to ban all front doors that didn't have their letter box halfway up.

As a mere householder I would consider voting for any party that banned political leafletting :-)
    @iainmacwhirter: To summarise Sturgeon speech: "We defy Ed Miliband to refuse our unconditional support for a Labour government". #snp15 #GE15
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Danny565 said:

Slightly OT, the Alliance MP Naomi Long has been hinting on Twitter that she strongly prefers Miliband to Cameron. Just one MP obviously, but if Parliament is as hung as it looks like then every MP vote will count!

As a general comment there's something to be said for that observation. In the particular instance of Mrs Long not so much as she's unlikely to keep her seat. The comment is probably a clumsy attempt to shore up her left flank.
    scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

This is a point that I've made on here before. And if we are ever castrated with some form of foreign PR malarkey then my second preference as someone with a vote in a southern constituency might easily go to an SNP candidate. Taxes are too high and ending the Scottish subsidy would be a step in the right direction. Voting SNP in England is actually one way to get a substantial tax cut in the medium term (after them propping up Miliband for a Parliament, which makes it not so good for the bank balance in the short term).

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Dair said:

Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

Tim Stanley rarely writes anything worth reading, sadly. He's a sort of caricature of an upper class Englishman enthralled with the American Right.
    Oliver_PB said:

Dair said:

Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

Most people in Belgium speak English too, at least in part because their population is split between different native languages so English has become the lingua franca.
    I see what you did there!

Dair said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Well done!

Spanish has probably usurped German's runner-up spot to become the second foreign language taught in most schools. To be cynical, we'd probably do better teaching English, and especially written English, to a higher standard if we want to communicate with foreigners.
    Schools are adopting Spanish because it's supposed to be easier to learn than French or German due to simpler grammar rules.

Cue people complaining about declining standards, but Spanish is easily as useful as French or German.
    Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage)
    28/03/2015 17:50
    I'm delighted to announce that #UKIP would pursue a bank holiday for St George's day: express.co.uk/news/uk/566852…
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

The SNP policy is not to stand outside Scotland. There is no other reason than the party chose not to.

The policy should be not to stand in England, Wales or Northern Ireland which would allow them to put up a candidate in Berwick-Upon-Tweed which is in neither England nor Scotland.
    Its in England and has been since 1296 when you lot decided to side with the Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys who were at war with us and sack Cumberland and our sovereign King and ancestor of HM Queen Elizabeth the Second in response incorporated Berwick into England by right of conquest.

Something Salmond and co. might want to ponder in the future, if Scotland gets independence and think it might be funny to start ganging up against us with the French or EU.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,761
    edited March 2015
    Oliver_PB said:

Dair said:

Oliver_PB said:

SeanT said:

The ultimate triumph of England over France - English is now described as the lingua franca in France's closest neighbour, where one of the official languages is indeed French.

No real point to it, I was just savouring the irony...
    SeanT said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Is Labour's election campaign a deliberate copy of Andreas Lubitz's flight plan?

Too early?
    Everyone on that flight died because he wouldn't open the door.

If only Oscar Pistorius had been on board.
    GeoffM said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Too early?
    Everyone on that flight died because he wouldn't open the door.

If only Oscar Pistorius had been on board.
    Instead Larry Grayson was.

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

Its in England and has been since 1296 when you lot decided to side with the Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys who were at war with us and sack Cumberland and our sovereign King and ancestor of HM Queen Elizabeth the Second in response incorporated Berwick into England by right of conquest.

Something Salmond and co. might want to ponder in the future, if Scotland gets independence and think it might be funny to start ganging up against us with the French or EU.
    It was ceded back to Scotland in 1461.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Scott_P said:

@iainmacwhirter: To summarise Sturgeon speech: "We defy Ed Miliband to refuse our unconditional support for a Labour government". #snp15 #GE15

Blindingly obvious SNP won't vote down a Lab Min Govt. And even Ed will realise that.

As for Trident - also blindingly obvious that Con opposition will support Lab - so it will go through with 550 votes. SNP irrelevant.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Scott_P said:

Eerily reminiscent of Michael Howard in 2005:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2005/04/11/howardmanifesto372.jpg

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

The legal position of Berwick at the time of the Union of the Crowns was unresolved. As such no attempt was made to resolve it before the Acts of Union. Anything that happened after that is potentially revoked de jure after the dissolution of the Acts of Union.

The Wales and Berwick Act was in 1746.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 12s12 seconds ago
    Latest Opinium poll (24 - 25 Mar):
    CON - 34% (-2)
    LAB - 33% (-)
    UKIP - 13% (-1)
    LDEM - 8% (+1)
    GRN - 7% (+1)
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Prefer canvassing, but when I deliver the most frustrating thing is the new fangled draught excluding letter boxes. If the EU would ban them, I'd be most grateful ;-)

• @OpiniumResearch: Opinium/Observer :: Closer-than-close :: Con 34% (-2), Lab 33% (n/c), LibDem 8% (+1), UKIP 13% (-1), Greens 7% (+1) http://t.co/Yh8qA2a6la
    @OliverKamm: What can you say? @UKLabour reverts to being party that passed discriminatory 1968 immigration act. Extraordinary. http://t.co/1PkBLYHK2F

Scott_P said:

Eerily reminiscent of Michael Howard in 2005:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2005/04/11/howardmanifesto372.jpg
    Except he intended to (at least try) to do those things. Big difference.
    Personally, I think any independence treaty should involve Scotland accepting Northumberlands historic borders as part of England.

It would certainly need to include accepting the current border incorporating Berwick into England (other than for football purposes)
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281

@OpiniumResearch: Opinium/Observer :: Closer-than-close :: Con 34% (-2), Lab 33% (n/c), LibDem 8% (+1), UKIP 13% (-1), Greens 7% (+1) http://t.co/Yh8qA2a6la

Good poll for Con. Last week's Opinium was out of step. Any poll lead now good for Con.

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

I'm so pleased someone else has responded to this. I'm a historian by training and unionist by persuasion. Dair's comment annoyed me on those and so many more levels.

Incidentally, if anyone suggests the gift of BuT to Scotland during the Wars of the Roses was legitimate, I'll be out at the theatre and not able to respond as quickly as I'd like to...

• notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Mortimer said:

Prefer canvassing, but when I deliver the most frustrating thing is the new fangled draught excluding letter boxes. If the EU would ban them, I'd be most grateful ;-)

The ones that close to quickly as you push the leaflets are in, scraping knuckles.
    Roger said:
    Welcome to the BBC.
    Rape all the children you like, just don't punch a producer.
  • Dair said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

The legal position of Berwick at the time of the Union of the Crowns was unresolved. As such no attempt was made to resolve it before the Acts of Union. Anything that happened after that is potentially revoked de jure after the dissolution of the Acts of Union.

I grew up in Berwick going to primary and grammar school and was a founder member of the Berwick sailing and canoeing club. The River Tweed marks the boundary but about seven miles up the Tweed it diverts north making Berwick entirely in England. As I have said before the Nationalists represented by Wendy Wood used to regularly paint a white line across the road bridge in the 1950's to make the point that the Nationalists did not accept the boundaries but no matter it is very much in England
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

..and without stiff bristles or dogs behind them.
    Scott_P said:

@OliverKamm: What can you say? @UKLabour reverts to being party that passed discriminatory 1968 immigration act. Extraordinary. http://t.co/1PkBLYHK2F

What will the next mug be ?

"If you don't want a .... for a neighbour vote Labour" perhaps?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The Opinium poll fieldwork carried out BEFORE Thursdays TV debate
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    SeanT

You can tell your identical twin sister that I downloaded her ebook from the elibrary and am looking forward to reading it.

What are the royalties you get from elibrary downloads?
  • Opinium

Approval ratings

David Cameron has achieved a rare net positive approval rating with +1%.

Ed Miliband has seen a slight increase to -21% but it is enough to take him above Nigel Farage for the first time who is unchanged on -24%.

Nick Clegg remains in fourth place out of four with -40%

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-24th-march-2015

Dair said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

I grew up in Berwick going to primary and grammar school and was a founder member of the Berwick sailing and canoeing club. The River Tweed marks the boundary but about seven miles up the Tweed it diverts north making Berwick entirely in England. As I have said before the Nationalists represented by Wendy Wood used to regularly paint a white line across the road bridge in the 1950's to make the point that the Nationalists did not accept the boundaries but no matter it is very much in England
    Surely the only way to decide fairly is a plebescite of the disputed area?
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

CESM as a sneer is surely past its sell-by date, given that what occasioned it was a principled refusal to participate in George and Tony's Excellent Brownie Shoot - how cowardly do the French look now? And it was always a bit rich coming from a nation of pusillanimous lard-mountains whose concept of warfare is to let the rest of the world do the heavy lifting and then come in and drop a few bombs on some yellow or brown people from a very, very safe height.

Putting it another way, what was the USA's Austerlitz? Or a third way, Vietnam: that went well.
    Dair said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

BuT has been English longer than the rule of law was accepted either side of the border. It is English. It will still be English a long time after Scotland has split from the Union, goes bankrupt, and comes crawling back.

If you would like to be in the same jurisdiction as BuT, how about staying in the union?
  • Dair said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

Surely the only way to decide fairly is a plebescite of the disputed area?
    Do you mean an England v Scotland vote !!!!!!

Personally, I think any independence treaty should involve Scotland accepting Northumberlands historic borders as part of England.

It would certainly need to include accepting the current border incorporating Berwick into England (other than for football purposes)

Footballing purposes? No! The negotiated border should be decided purely for political reasons.
    Move the nearby lefty and dirty areas into Scotland as they'll like the new magic money tree socialist regime.
    Tidier areas with sensible views can stay with the new baby-eating utopia down south.
    We shouldn't even insist on a single border. In our generosity I suggest England throws Bradford in with the deal. And Luton. All of Liverpool. And Somers Town in Portsmouth.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Opinium

Approval ratings

Ed Miliband has seen a slight increase to -21% but it is enough to take him above Nigel Farage for the first time who is unchanged on -24%.

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-24th-march-2015

Ed's approval ratings have definitely improved recently I'm thinking ?

The solution is quite simple for Berwick to be given a semi-autonomous status and after a period of stabilisation for rUK to try and shore up it's economy from catastrophe, for the good people of Berwick to vote on which country to be part of.

notme said:

scotslass said:

The issue is whether the SNP have had a good week or not . I say they have for the reasons stated. You lot say not because you fear/ hate Salmond and don't rate Nicola. You are right to fear Salmond and wrong to under rate Nicola.

Anyway the first real poll will tell us whether I am right or you are. Now you three gents should put up or ..,,,,,

Have you ever seen any SNP supporter admit that anything is ever less than perfect for the party. All weeks are always good which means you can always discount what they say.

Have you noticed that about canvassing? Everyone always seems to have had "great feedback on the doorstep, positive campaign" "Fantastic reception to message in little bigholme" "lots of enthusiastic responses tonight".

Im a seasoned canvasser. You do now and then get really great nights, sometimes in unexpected areas. But you also get some really awful ones.

"voter swore at me tonight for walking on grass, put her down as a probable". "knuckles bleeding from dog grabbing leaflet from letterbox", "told to F off three times and threatened with a smack in the mouth twice this evening", "im having my tea and i wouldnt vote you F-ing lot if my arse was on fire, do one, and you better close the F-ing gate"

What always amuses me is people who make the effort to chase you up the street to give you your leaflets back. They must think they give off toxic fumes that would escape the recycling bin...
    Its when you come across a particularly chavvy area and they actually post the leaflet torn up back through their letterbox, which ends up littering their own garden!
  • Pulpstar said:

Opinium

Approval ratings

They have, from dire to just appalling.
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

CESM as a sneer is surely past its sell-by date, given that what occasioned it was a principled refusal to participate in George and Tony's Excellent Brownie Shoot - how cowardly do the French look now? And it was always a bit rich coming from a nation of pusillanimous lard-mountains whose concept of warfare is to let the rest of the world do the heavy lifting and then come in and drop a few bombs on some yellow or brown people from a very, very safe height.

Putting it another way, what was the USA's Austerlitz? Or a third way, Vietnam: that went well.
    As I recall Vietnam did not go well for the cheese eaters either!

I suppose the US equivalent to Austerlitz would have been General Paton's campaigns in Sicily, Normandy, the Bulge or Germany. Or the Naval battle of Midway.

Pulpstar said:

Opinium

Approval ratings

They have, from dire to just appalling.
    Aren't those ratings "Cameron's crutch" though :D ?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    edited March 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

eek said:

Plato said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

scotslass said:

Greenwich Floater

Didn't someone say that the Septics only came into the two world wars as substitutes when the French had to leave the field injured?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Earlyish F1 race tomorrow, start should be around 8am, so not too bad (5am is too early).
  • Good evening, everyone.

Earlyish F1 race tomorrow, start should be around 8am, so not too bad (5am is too early).

Clocks go forward tonight, so is really 7 am in old money.
    edited March 2015
    GeoffM said:

Footballing purposes? No! The negotiated border should be decided purely for political reasons.
    Move the nearby lefty and dirty areas into Scotland as they'll like the new magic money tree socialist regime.
    Tidier areas with sensible views can stay with the new baby-eating utopia down south.
    We shouldn't even insist on a single border. In our generosity I suggest England throws Bradford in with the deal. And Luton. All of Liverpool. And Somers Town in Portsmouth.
    Oi - Luton is in Bedesia (correctly described as the Central Bedesian federation comprising Northern Bedesia, Southern Bedesia and Linsladeland. We have our own UDI plans thank you which involve renaming Luton Beitbridge. We even have several elephants (at Whipsnade) and a flag of white and green (http://www.centralbedfordshiredogshow.co.uk/uploads/4/3/4/6/4346291/4196940.png?139)

And here's our prime minister in a very Smithsonian pose.

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/modgov/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=1114

The Duke of Bedfordshire isn't very happy about the oppositions land reform proposals though.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Barnesian said:

..and without stiff bristles or dogs behind them.
    And mandate that all houses have a their number (or at least their name) clearly displayed to make things easier when going round with addressed canvass sheets.

notme said:

notme said:

scotslass said:

Its when you come across a particularly chavvy area and they actually post the leaflet torn up back through their letterbox, which ends up littering their own garden!
    Hmm. Put them down as a possible then...

MP_SE said:

It is incredibly annoying seeing everyone on Twitter claiming they had an excellent result canvassing. Almost as annoying as activists spewing out a never ending stream of attacks on other parties and failing to promote their own party.

Yes, I know. I've more or ;less stopped talking about individual canvass sessions and just restrict myself to anecdotes for entertainment. The truth is that not much is moving either way, and hasn't been for a long time.

When you asked them if they had watched the debate, did any of them reply "Hell, yes" ?

Lol - no, but one of them said he'd ordered the T-shirt! He asked eagerly if I was getting one too.

My anecdotes i recalled the other week still hold true. The politically aware out there, will bring up Miliband or Balls on the doorstep, and I'm only seeing it from the other side. Around 2012 canvassing for Conservatives was grim, in some areas it took hours to get the necessary nominations for the local elections! Normally it take about half an hour to get the signatures.

The 'Cameron is useless' thing has waned, I had someone complain about his gay marriage law and the overseas aid once or twice. But yes, very little change in our support.

I remember 1997. It was grim. There was no doubt that change was going to happen. Even in 2010, it was massive, lots of people changing their votes.

The bounce back in the polls from 2010 for Labour is *not* showing up in our canvassing of the last six to eight months. Of course it could be flawed, but there we go.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Eagles, still not as bad as 5am.

Nyooooooooom!
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

My anecdotes i recalled the other week still hold true. The politically aware out there, will bring up Miliband or Balls on the doorstep, and I'm only seeing it from the other side. Around 2012 canvassing for Conservatives was grim, in some areas it took hours to get the necessary nominations for the local elections! Normally it take about half an hour to get the signatures.

The 'Cameron is useless' thing has waned, I had someone complain about his gay marriage law and the overseas aid once or twice. But yes, very little change in our support.

I remember 1997. It was grim. There was no doubt that change was going to happen. Even in 2010, it was massive, lots of people changing their votes.

The bounce back in the polls from 2010 for Labour is *not* showing up in our canvassing of the last six to eight months. Of course it could be flawed, but there we go.
    The thing, is even a 1992 type swing in terms of seats for Labour from the Conservatives probably puts Ed in power this time.
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

As a matter of interest, which Constituency? Or at least region?
  • Mr. Eagles, still not as bad as 5am.

Nyooooooooom!

Some of us are getting up at 4am to edit PB watch the World Cup Final.
This discussion has been closed.