Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Powered Up – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490

Pulpstar said:

For Misterbedfordshire

Could you give us a clue what point is being illustrated there?
    Well it is on topic ;)
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,694
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Now we have the “wholetruthtwo” denied a fair trial according to Just Stop Oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51y99yrj49o

Same judge as the last lot - an enemy of the people, no doubt.
    Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
    An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
    Like pre-WW1 suffragettes?
    It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmYfcQB5HY
    Obscure britishism my shiny metal ass. Diamonds Are Forever, Leiter (CIA/Pinkerton's) to Bond

The trainer's another hoodlum--name of Budd, 'Rosy' Budd. They all sound pretty funny, these names. But you don't want to be taken in by it. He's from Kentucky, so he knows all about horses. He's been in trouble all over the South, what they call a 'little habitch' as opposed to a 'big habitch'--habitual criminal. Larceny, mugging, rape--nothing big. Enough to give him quite a bulky packet in police records. But for the last few years he's been running straight, if you care to call it that, as trainer for Spang."

Mind you Fleming pretty much made it up as he went along, so who knows?
    The words "obscure Britishism" referred to the sitcom, not the phrase... :)
    Outrageous it should be obscure. I quoted Blackadder to someone the other day and they didn't pick up on it. Young people today, do they teach them anything useful?
    My two junior members of staff had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Blackadder. Showed them a picture and they both exclaimed "Oh! Mister Bean!".

How I wept.
    Why is that remembered but not Blackadder? Mr Bean was crap!

It was that damn Olympic opening ceremony wasn't it?
    Mister Bean was an enormous global hit - because almost wordless and Roman Atkinson is a comic genius. The Chaplin of his time

Blackadder was great but very British and didn’t export

Nonetheless I agree it’s a scandal that it is forgotten - if that is the case. However there is hope. My older daughter is leaning about great British comedy via YouTube. She now understands some Monty Python references
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,872

Politico.com - Obama to throw his full support behind Harris

The former president’s backing could come as soon as Thursday.

Former President Barack Obama plans to endorse Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential bid, according to two people familiar with his plans.

That endorsement could come as soon as Thursday, according to one of the people granted anonymity to speak about an endorsement that is not yet public. . . .

Obama had reportedly been among the Democratic leaders who privately urged Biden to reconsider his candidacy. But Obama withheld his endorsement even as Biden, his former vice president, anointed her as his heir apparent. . . .

That move was criticized by many Democrats, who saw it as an insult. On a Black Men for Harris call this week, multiple men on the call knocked Obama for holding his powder dry, especially for a Black woman. . .

But the wait before endorsing was intentional. A person familiar with Obama’s thinking said he didn’t want to put his thumb on the scale as the party worked through the process of determining its nominee.

Now that Harris is clearly on the glide path to the nomination, Obama plans to offer his backing to the freshly minted Democratic candidate. . . .

It’s unclear what the actual endorsement will look like, but it’s likely to be more than just a paper statement, according to those people familiar.

SSI - reckon this trumps (!) the NY Post story yesterday with source that is (allegedly) Biden family relation.

Maybe 14th cousin 13 times removed?

Yesterday’s story was Jill. It basically boiled down to “Obama likes my husband more than he likes you”
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,571
    edited July 25
    Leon said:

Here’s a delicious mytho-ethno-puzzle

I noticed that in south Aveyron villages the locals put sunflowers on their doors. This is a very basque tradition. It’s to ward off evil

https://aboutbasquecountry.eus/en/2012/04/09/eguzkilore-the-flower-that-protects-the-basques/

I put it down to coincidence or some weird fashion - a southern European thing that spreads. Like the Aperol spritz

BUT - I’ve also been visiting the local churches to mock their lack of noom, and I’ve noticed that south Aveyron churches sometime have circular gravestones marked with sun symbols

And that is very definitely and uniquely basque. They are called Hilarri - pre Christian circular funerary stele

As Sir Kenneth Clark said in “Civilisation” - “what the mothering fuck is going on???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilarri

It is popularly believed that the sorginak (witches) and lamiak (nymphs) could not enter into a home until they had counted all the leaves of the plant, but that they weren’t able to do so before dawn would break, forcing them back into their underground lairs.
    It's quite common in Eastern Europe and S.E Asia to sprinkle seeds/rice outside due to the belief that bad spirits/vampires/etc would stop to count them all.

Also the backstory to 'The Count' in Sesame Street not just being a play on the name. "One! Grain of rice! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa! Two! Two grains of rice! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa! ...."

Edit: I've sometimes wondered if the myth was carried by the Mongols.
  • kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
    An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
    It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

Obscure britishism my shiny metal ass. Diamonds Are Forever, Leiter (CIA/Pinkerton's) to Bond

The trainer's another hoodlum--name of Budd, 'Rosy' Budd. They all sound pretty funny, these names. But you don't want to be taken in by it. He's from Kentucky, so he knows all about horses. He's been in trouble all over the South, what they call a 'little habitch' as opposed to a 'big habitch'--habitual criminal. Larceny, mugging, rape--nothing big. Enough to give him quite a bulky packet in police records. But for the last few years he's been running straight, if you care to call it that, as trainer for Spang."

Outrageous it should be obscure. I quoted Blackadder to someone the other day and they didn't pick up on it. Young people today, do they teach them anything useful?
    My two junior members of staff had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Blackadder. Showed them a picture and they both exclaimed "Oh! Mister Bean!".

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

I know a bloke who is a history tutor at Oxford who knew he was getting old when any Blackadder the Second references got a blank stare.

I myself was struck by it when talking to young, but not very young, colleagues about Barbara Cartland. Oddly, they'd never heard of her but did know Bubbles De Vere from Little Britain, who scarcely makes sense without Barbara Cartland (or even with her, to be fair).
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,435
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

There was an even more obscure American remake...
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

"A typical 4kW solar panel system, including installation, costs £5,000 - £6,000. Added together, the total cost of solar panels and a battery in the UK is £13,000-£15,500.

You can save between £440 - £1,005 per year on electricity costs, breaking even in 7 - 9 years."

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/what-is-the-installation-cost-for-solar-panels.

Lets say the cost is the midpoint £14,250 and the saving is the midpoint £772.50p per year.

If I invest the money instead I only need a 5.5% annual return to be better off?

(noting also that Robert is predicting a gas glut so fuel prices will fall, lessening the saving.

Whats the point?

That article is seriously out of date (ten years). You can get 10 panels and a battery for £9,000

The cost of installation can depend on how many panels you need, whether you choose to have battery storage, and what size of battery you require. The cost of a panel-only installation by Octopus starts from £3,880 (for 2 panels). A 10 panel installation and a 5kWh battery (our most popular system) costs £9,199.

https://octopus.energy/order/solar/

Try upping that return by a 30% reduction in costs and a 100% rise in electricity bills...
    You can't get those returns selling back to the grid now though
    The use of a battery is the real saving. You should never sell back to the grid. Any extra energy should be stored in a battery or the hot water tank or car. Not having to purchase at 25p per kWh more than makes up for not selling to the grid for 5p!!
    As ever, the biggest hurdle in the UK is ensuring that you get the savings rather than sundry bureacrats, corporations, clip board holders and middlemen.

Maybe once I am retired and have more time, no kids at home and a big lump sum to play with I will consider it, but not now. There is also the matter of my model railway getting abolished to make room for batteries in the garage.
    Leon said:

I believe I am the first British traveller ever to reach the toothsome little fortified Templar town of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon - which is, this evening, having an adorably French fete in the main fountain square by the 13th century commandery complete with aligot stands next to boho jazz bands

I’m like the first guy off the mayflower at Plymouth Rock. The locals are eyeing me nervously, and with good reason - as I carefully take my notes

By next year there will be ten of me. The year after, ten thousand

Didn’t Simon de Monfort’s dad beat you there?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,718

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

I know a bloke who is a history tutor at Oxford who knew he was getting old when any Blackadder the Second references got a blank stare.

I myself was struck by it when talking to young, but not very young, colleagues about Barbara Cartland. Oddly, they'd never heard of her but did know Bubbles De Vere from Little Britain, who scarcely makes sense without Barbara Cartland (or even with her, to be fair).
    I remember in my first teaching class in 1990 there was a student called Pike. My asides of " don't tell him Pike', and " stupid boyyy" fell on deaf ears. I suspect nowadays Dads Army is much better remembered.
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

The head of a Russell Group University, while opening a campus in China, was met with much muttering. A lackey asked what was going on and was told "He looks .... just like Mister Bean".

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,673
    Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Have you decided where you are going to spend your £10 Uber Eats gift card from Crowdstrike for the inconvenience of last Friday?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037
    I confess I had no idea Mr Bean was such a global phenomenom.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,221
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

I believe I am the first British traveller ever to reach the toothsome little fortified Templar town of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon - which is, this evening, having an adorably French fete in the main fountain square by the 13th century commandery complete with aligot stands next to boho jazz bands

I’m like the first guy off the mayflower at Plymouth Rock. The locals are eyeing me nervously, and with good reason - as I carefully take my notes

Apart from all the british people who have reviewed it on tripadvisor you mean

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1238512-d643353-Reviews-St_Eulalie_de_Cernon-Sainte_Eulalie_de_Cernon_Aveyron_Occitanie.html
    Let the man have his artistic licence. Anyway, it’s still not as nice as fellow plus-beau-village Oingt, and unlike Oingt it’s not pronounced “wanked”.
    I’ve been to Oingt, and it is indeed Wanked

Any French village that gets named “a plus beau village” immediately becomes a grisly festival of French tweeness, a prettified Disney set with someone selling artisanal myrtle soaps and a girl doing French Celtic Tarot cards, and there’s a special car park the size of Cheshire for all the many many visitors

They have one here in south l’Aveyron, La Couvertoirade. It’s the only place I’ve seen tonnes of tourists and it’s hideous

Thankfully Eulalie has avoided that fate
    It is a problem with the plus beaux villages, but wanked has avoided most of that unless you’re there on a Saturday. At least in my experience.

I do like the SW French causses and uplands though. Very tranquil.

Ok I will bite.

"A typical 4kW solar panel system, including installation, costs £5,000 - £6,000. Added together, the total cost of solar panels and a battery in the UK is £13,000-£15,500.

You can save between £440 - £1,005 per year on electricity costs, breaking even in 7 - 9 years."

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/what-is-the-installation-cost-for-solar-panels.

Lets say the cost is the midpoint £14,250 and the saving is the midpoint £772.50p per year.

If I invest the money instead I only need a 5.5% annual return to be better off?

(noting also that Robert is predicting a gas glut so fuel prices will fall, lessening the saving.

Whats the point?

5.5% post tax

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942
    Leon said:

From the number of different incarnations of *you* there are ten of you already…

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Have you decided where you are going to spend your £10 Uber Eats gift card from Crowdstrike for the inconvenience of last Friday?
    I didn't get one
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Apart from all the british people who have reviewed it on tripadvisor you mean

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1238512-d643353-Reviews-St_Eulalie_de_Cernon-Sainte_Eulalie_de_Cernon_Aveyron_Occitanie.html
    Let the man have his artistic licence. Anyway, it’s still not as nice as fellow plus-beau-village Oingt, and unlike Oingt it’s not pronounced “wanked”.
    I’ve been to Oingt, and it is indeed Wanked

Any French village that gets named “a plus beau village” immediately becomes a grisly festival of French tweeness, a prettified Disney set with someone selling artisanal myrtle soaps and a girl doing French Celtic Tarot cards, and there’s a special car park the size of Cheshire for all the many many visitors

They have one here in south l’Aveyron, La Couvertoirade. It’s the only place I’ve seen tonnes of tourists and it’s hideous

Thankfully Eulalie has avoided that fate
    It is a problem with the plus beaux villages, but wanked has avoided most of that unless you’re there on a Saturday. At least in my experience.

I do like the SW French causses and uplands though. Very tranquil.
    L’Aveyron is more south east/central, which makes it so fascinating

You are literally one hour 30 from Montpellier airport yet it’s like a different country entirely

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

I remember in my first teaching class in 1990 there was a student called Pike. My asides of " don't tell him Pike', and " stupid boyyy" fell on deaf ears. I suspect nowadays Dads Army is much better remembered.
    The Hitchhikers Guide has also now largely faded from the young. Even amongst geeks. Sad times all round.
  • FossFoss Posts: 924
    kle4 said:

Apparently he was very big in Albania.
    edited July 25
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

The Hitchhikers Guide has also now largely faded from the young. Even amongst geeks. Sad times all round.
    Again, not true. My older daughter is reading Book 3 of HGTTG right now, she brought it on holiday. She said all her friends read them as well

The young are discovering great British culture by themselves via YouTube and BookTok and, verily, it is good
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,019
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Now this is interesting.
    Especially to those of us in our sixties.

Study raises hopes that shingles vaccine may delay onset of dementia
    Shingrix linked to substantial reduction in diagnoses in the six years after people received the shot
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/25/shingles-vaccine-shingrix-may-delay-dementia-onset-study

Available on the NHS when you hit 65.

It's fun when a throwaway comment causes you to massively reevaluate what age another poster is. I assumed Nigelb was in his early forties. I don't know why, and it's not as if you get many Nigels in their forties these days.
    Was it my obvious air of callow inexperience that fooled you ?
    Foss said:

kle4 said:

Iran, South America, Mexico

Mr Bean was huge worldwide
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,884

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Industry is usually looking for a payback on investment in energy efficiency measures of 2 years. 3 years if you are lucky.

Propose a project with a 7-9 year payback and you'll be politely told to bugger off.

So why would I do this at home?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,749

Rachel Reeves is preparing to unveil a £19bn black hole in the public finances as she builds up to an autumn tax raid. The Chancellor is expected to blame pressures on the NHS, prisons and schools for the funding gap after asking Treasury officials to prepare an assessment of the “spending inheritance” left by the Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/labour-to-unveil-19bn-black-hole-as-reeves-plots-tax-raid/

Only 19bn...i was presuming they would find 50 or a 100...gotta make it as big possible.

Well that’s a shock !!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,884

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Weening us off any sort of dependency on Russian energy, so that we can grind Putin into oblivion. Surely everyone wants that?
    Tell that to DESNZ. Ready to give the go ahead to new CCGT CCS and Blue Hydrogen projects that will be consuming natural gas for decades to come.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,667
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

Again, not true. My older daughter is reading Book 3 of HGTTG right now, she brought it on holiday. She said all her friends read them as well

The young are discovering great British culture by themselves via YouTube and BookTok and, verily, it is good
    That says more about the admirability of your daughter.

When I started teaching A Level physics, they had all read Hitchhiker's. One of my signature moves was to liken examiners to Vogons (not actively evil, just callous and bureaucratic). Say that now and you get a row of blank faces.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    In other news Jasper, Alberta has been burnt to a crisp. All of it.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,573
    Who's this Robert fella?

I get the point about a gas glut but isn't LNG rather expensive? No mention of the Mediterranean situation either. Surely if that is pipelined then much cheaper. Wasn't there also supposed to be some off Crimea too?

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

It has had the advantage of numerous repeats on main BBC channels as well as various satellite channels though.

It helps by not being contemporary. So doesn’t really date as it’s a period piece.

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

That says more about the admirability of your daughter.

When I started teaching A Level physics, they had all read Hitchhiker's. One of my signature moves was to liken examiners to Vogons (not actively evil, just callous and bureaucratic). Say that now and you get a row of blank faces.
    My daughters are very smart (they have other issues, they are teens, but they are definitely clever) - where they lead, others will follow!

My older daughter is particularly bright maybe. Last night we had our final wonderful picnic on the hills above Compeyre and we discussed the most abstruse theories of cosmology from the multiverse to the Simulation and she startled me with concepts I’d never encountered - eg “Egg Theory”

https://www.watchmojo.com/articles/the-universe-is-yours-alone-what-is-the-egg-theory-unveiled
    https://x.com/rivkahbrown/status/1816473319941804292?s=61

Novara are reporting labour are about to ban arms sales to Israel among other measures aimed at the Israeli regime.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,573
    Labour are looking to do something similar to what the Tories did in 2010 by telling everyone how awful their inheritance is. Problem is that we had the GFC and the coalition (including Lib Dems!) could highlight the biggest deficit since WW2. What specific can Labour target?

At the moment the economy doesn't seem to be playing ball. All we seem to be getting is good news!
    edited July 25

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

I didn't get where I am today by learning old sitcom references.
    It's important to enable intergenerational harmony. Cut out old sitcom references and my dad and I would have very little to talk about.

(Yes we do have actual things to say, but we need the cover of old sitcoms as a connecting language)
    Taz said:

Novara are reporting labour are about to ban arms sales to Israel among other measures aimed at the Israeli regime.

Who will we sell to instead? There are profit margins to be kept.
    Leon said:

Foss said:

kle4 said:

Iran, South America, Mexico

Mr Bean was huge worldwide
    But strained Pakistani-Zimbabwe relations

https://news.sky.com/story/next-time-send-the-real-mr-bean-the-bizarre-feud-between-zimbabwe-and-pakistan-surrounding-t20-world-cup-12732125
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,282

CBC - Buildings in Jasper in ashes after 'monster' wildfire rips through mountain community

'Potentially 30 to 50 per cent structural damage,' [Alberta] Premier Danielle Smith tells media

A wildfire that roared into the community of Jasper, Alta., late Wednesday has left vast stretches of the townsite incinerated.

Video shared to social media on Thursday shows blocks upon blocks of buildings have been levelled by fire.

Officials with Parks Canada declined to comment on the scale of the destruction but have confirmed that many buildings in the historic townsite have been lost to a fire so powerful it eventually chased first responders out of the community. . . .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/wildfire-that-roared-into-jasper-was-a-wall-of-fast-moving-flame-says-fire-official-1.7274825

Not sure how much of the Jasper National Park is burning, but park is closed and visitors have been evaculated.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,191

CBC - Buildings in Jasper in ashes after 'monster' wildfire rips through mountain community

'Potentially 30 to 50 per cent structural damage,' [Alberta] Premier Danielle Smith tells media

A wildfire that roared into the community of Jasper, Alta., late Wednesday has left vast stretches of the townsite incinerated.

Video shared to social media on Thursday shows blocks upon blocks of buildings have been levelled by fire.

Officials with Parks Canada declined to comment on the scale of the destruction but have confirmed that many buildings in the historic townsite have been lost to a fire so powerful it eventually chased first responders out of the community. . . .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/wildfire-that-roared-into-jasper-was-a-wall-of-fast-moving-flame-says-fire-official-1.7274825

Not sure how much of the Jasper National Park is burning, but park is closed and visitors have been evaculated.
    That is terrible news

Loved our visits to Jasper and the parks

Hope nobody is injured
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,370
    I find a lot of people look blank when I talk about muffin the mule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlK73PduxMU
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Bloody horrible. My son lives in Banff so quite a big deal for me.

One does question the orthodoxy that planting trees is how to save the planet. Trees are what have just destroyed Jasper. If someone invented a technology with the same carbon capture benefits vs danger to property and life and health in an unscheduled liberation of that carbon, I don't think they would attract much investment.
    Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Fascinating. Never knew this. Had to Google it.

On the Rocks. Ran for more episodes than the U.K. version although the episodes are about as likely to be made public as the Jerry Lewis film ‘The Day the Clown Cried’. A couple are held in the Paley.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,153
    Barnesian said:

I can still sing the song!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,541
    On the topic of EVs and power/climate, while EVs are fantastic value for those who can plug in and recharge at home, a big problem is that commercially recharging a vehicle away from home can be more expensive than filling up with unleaded.

Every time I fill up I reset my trip meter to compare miles per tank of petrol. My last tank of petrol cost me £42 which covered 420 miles, making the maths nice and easy, 10p per mile.

EVs get 3-4 miles per kWh and the same petrol station I filled up at is advertising electricity at 65p per kWh. Even at 4 miles per kWh, 65p/4 ≈ 16p per mile . . . approximately 60% more per mile than what I'm paying for unleaded.

A lot of talk when it comes to EVs is simply ensuring there are charger points available, but it doesn't help if those charger points are considerably more expensive than unleaded. What point is there (fiscally) in people switching vehicles to an EV over a self-charging hybrid if electricity is like-for-like considerably more expensive than unleaded?

Especially when some people want the "lost" revenues of fuel duty to be paid by a new tax on drivers to be paid on top of electricity.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,393
    Taz said:

Rachel Reeves is preparing to unveil a £19bn black hole in the public finances as she builds up to an autumn tax raid. The Chancellor is expected to blame pressures on the NHS, prisons and schools for the funding gap after asking Treasury officials to prepare an assessment of the “spending inheritance” left by the Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/labour-to-unveil-19bn-black-hole-as-reeves-plots-tax-raid/

Only 19bn...i was presuming they would find 50 or a 100...gotta make it as big possible.

Well that’s a shock !!
    Indeed. I urged her to practice her shocked face in the run up to the election. Now is the time for her to reveal it.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,517
    Taz said:

"Labour will also likely drop its objections to the ICC issuing arrest warrants for Netanyahu and his defence minister Yoav Gallant. After a deadline extension for the general election, the UK's objections are due tomorrow, 26 July. It is not expected to submit any."

Bloody horrible. My son lives in Banff so quite a big deal for me.

One does question the orthodoxy that planting trees is how to save the planet. Trees are what have just destroyed Jasper. If someone invented a technology with the same carbon capture benefits vs danger to property and life and health in an unscheduled liberation of that carbon, I don't think they would attract much investment.
    Believe that climate change deserves some blame. Also sub-optimal forestry management practices, and things like insect infestation exacerbated by both.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,993

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Numbers are off, why does the battery cost so much? 9,000 for the lot is more realistic.

It's not a no brainer, sure, so holding off till it becomes one is a legit strategy. I had panels on my last house and found it very satisfying, it's great to think the appliances are running for free if you wash your clothes while the sun is out.
    I was quoted £4,999 for a 4kWp install, with black on black panels, installed, in 2015. Including them doing all the registration paperwork.

I'm not sure exactly how much a price has shifted, but 5,000 now looks a bit steep.

Maybe £3800-£4000 is more like it?
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

The head of a Russell Group University, while opening a campus in China, was met
    with much muttering. A lackey asked what was going on and was told "He looks .... just like Mister Bean".

There was also the case of Sir Anthony Acland (Howe’s Permanent Under Secretary) accompanying him on a trip to Tokyo.

He was introduced to the Emperor who did a little bit of a double take but recovered

It later turned out that he had been introduced as the Junior Immortal Typist.
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

On the Rocks. Ran for more episodes than the U.K. version although the episodes are about as likely to be made public as the Jerry Lewis film ‘The Day the Clown Cried’. A couple are held in the Paley.
    Never heard of the US (or UK) show. Though the former ran for a year just after "Barney Miller" a comedy cop show that was a BIG hit and is still a re-run staple on American TV.
    Looks like the cyber insurance companies have is only likely to cover 10-20% of the cost of the loss due to the Crowdstrike snafu.

Costs estimated at $5.4 billion

https://x.com/stephanie_link/status/1816571342793146870?s=61
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mr Bean was global.

I've never found it difficult to get fellow geeks to understand Hitchhikers Guide references, but then that may be because I'm meaning of life years old.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    edited July 25

Taz said:

"Labour will also likely drop its objections to the ICC issuing arrest warrants for Netanyahu and his defence minister Yoav Gallant. After a deadline extension for the general election, the UK's objections are due tomorrow, 26 July. It is not expected to submit any."
    Harris getting in would be further bad news for Bibi I expect, and unlike our supply it's a little more than 50 million quids worth of munitions they could stand to lose out on
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,317
    Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Harris getting in would be further bad news for Bibi I expect, and unlike our supply it's a little more than 50 million quids worth of munitions they could stand to lose out on
    Bibi has very few friends left in Israel or the rest of the world.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,828
    FPPT
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

SteveS said:

Truss makes a very powerful point about the growing power of institutions under the Blairite constitutional settlement - civil service, quangos, the courts - making it very difficult for those Thatcherite policies that you admire ever to be implemented again. Whoever tries to unravel the gordian knot is going to have to have a lot more political smarts than Truss,

I’m struggling to think of anyone with more political smarts than Truss. Which is remarkable as a Consultant Psychiatrist told me she was a classic high functioning sociopath.

I do agree with you that the Courts have way too much power and should be under the control of whoever is elected Prime Minister. Makes me wonder whether we need to spend that £££ on the Supreme Court and should just replace it with the Cabinet.

Steve
    I am struggling to discern whether you're being sarcastic, but there was nothing wrong with the Law Lords. The 'supreme court' is a failed experiment and should be abolished.
    As I have pointed out to you before there is no meaningful difference between the powers of the Law Lords and the Supreme Court. The first bench of the SC was made up of the existing Law Lords. That you fail to understand this is why acolytes of Truss will continue to be laughed at. They don’t understand the constitution.
    Law Lords were appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister, and sat within parliament. Supreme Court judges are appointed by 'an independent body', so they're a self-perpetuating bureaucratic appendage that is not democratically accountable. That's a very simple and very important distinction, and you shouldn't project your own lack of intellectual curiosity on to others.
    Again, you’re completely, 100%, wrong. Amazing.

SC justices are appointed by the King on the recommendation of the Lord Chancellor, who in turn is appointed by the PM, based on the advice of an appointment committee. In the old days the Law Lords were appointed by the King on the advice of the PM who, in turn, relied on the advice of s self-perpetuating clique of judges. The current system thus retains the old veto of the executive on appointments which should really be abolished. It has, however, removed the self-perpetuating bureaucracy bit. For someone with “intellect curiosity” you don’t half rely on discredited rightist talking points.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/about/appointments-of-justices.html
    You say I'm 100% wrong, yet your details, whatever spin you attempt to apply, say I'm right. It would be impossible effectively for the Prime Minister to countermand the advice of the Supreme Court Selection Commission, given the mantle of legitimacy given to it by the Constitutional Reform Act, vs. the judicial advice that was sought on a voluntary basis on the appointment of the law lords.

That is absolutely a self-perpetuating clique and to declare otherwise based on the fact that the PM 'could' veto the Selection Commission's recommendation if they really, really wanted to is a complete failure to understand the increasingly limited actual room for manoeuvre an elected Prime Minister has, hemmed in as they increasingly are by the civil service, the quangocracy, the judiciary, and the media.
  • In other news Jasper, Alberta has been burnt to a crisp. All of it.

Wonder what the canadian governments position on controlled burning to make firebreaks is. A tad controversial in Australia after it was banned (environment innit) and all hell broke out a few years later when it got a bit warm and dry.

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Never heard of the US (or UK) show. Though the former ran for a year just after "Barney Miller" a comedy cop show that was a BIG hit and is still a re-run staple on American TV.
    Quite a cult show here too. A late night staple for many years in the eighties and nineties. A friend of mine was really into it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,828

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

You'd enjoy it. Ronnie Barker of Two Ronnies fame. A genius.
    Ruddy hell

The guy representing the chap on the receiving end of the kicking from the copper at Manchester airport is the same guy who stood against Shabana Mahmoud in Ladywood at the election !!

https://x.com/tonydowson5/status/1816570672681795635?s=61
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,718
    Barnesian said:

It used to be illegal....

How bad it is on the Rishi Scale?

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

You'd enjoy it. Ronnie Barker of Two Ronnies fame. A genius.
    But avoid the modern remake. Not as good.

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

That article is seriously out of date (ten years). You can get 10 panels and a battery for £9,000

The cost of installation can depend on how many panels you need, whether you choose to have battery storage, and what size of battery you require. The cost of a panel-only installation by Octopus starts from £3,880 (for 2 panels). A 10 panel installation and a 5kWh battery (our most popular system) costs £9,199.

Try upping that return by a 30% reduction in costs and a 100% rise in electricity bills...
    You can't get those returns selling back to the grid now though
    The use of a battery is the real saving. You should never sell back to the grid. Any extra energy should be stored in a battery or the hot water tank or car. Not having to purchase at 25p per kWh more than makes up for not selling to the grid for 5p!!
    I currently sell back to the grid for 15p.

(That's the exports, not the FIT btw).

Though I'm jealous of whoever mentioned earlier that they put theirs in in 2013.
    Taz said:

Ruddy hell

The guy representing the chap on the receiving end of the kicking from the copper at Manchester airport is the same guy who stood against Shabana Mahmoud in Ladywood at the election !!

https://x.com/tonydowson5/status/1816570672681795635?s=61

Quick google, seems like he is an interesting character.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,125

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Porridge was brilliant. The humour hasn't dated, though you couldn't get away with it nowadays. Definitely in the top 30 of Britosh sitcoms. In common with the best sitcoms, conveys far more emotions than just humour, and conveys them better because your defences are down because its a comedy.
    The best episodes were always those where the whole 30 minutes was just a dialogue of the two main protagonists locked in a cell, chatting. This was a fairly common trope on British sitcoms, often at the end of a season because the budget had run out, and I maìntain that this has produced some of the most wonderful half hours of English television. One foot in the grave also did it well.
  • Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Bibi has very few friends left in Israel or the rest of the world.
    Same problem Ian Smith had in Rhodesia. In the end South Africa pulled the plug as it was giving SA too much grief with RoW. Israel are close to that point with US.
    edited July 25
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Porridge was brilliant. The humour hasn't dated, though you couldn't get away with it nowadays. Definitely in the top 30 of Britosh sitcoms. In common with the best sitcoms, conveys far more emotions than just humour, and conveys them better because your defences are down because its a comedy.
    The best episodes were always those where the whole 30 minutes was just a dialogue of the two main protagonists locked in a cell, chatting. This was a fairly common trope on British sitcoms, often at the end of a season because the budget had run out, and I maìntain that this has produced some of the most wonderful half hours of English television. One foot in the grave also did it well.
    They did try rebooting it with that bloke who is famous for being Lee Nelson. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work.
  • Barnesian said:

How about Captain Pugwash characters?
    Some controversial referee decisions in the Australia v USA men's rugby 7s Olympics match.
    edited July 25
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

How I wept.

Mister Bean was an enormous global hit - because almost wordless and Roman Atkinson is a comic genius. The Chaplin of his time

Blackadder was great but very British and didn’t export

Nonetheless I agree it’s a scandal that it is forgotten - if that is the case. However there is hope. My older daughter is leaning about great British comedy via YouTube. She now understands some Monty Python references
    Rudi Giuliani is boosting Borat.
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

This is certainly true, and it's one reason I find most Armando Iannucci works like The Thick of It or Veep a little lacking, because they attempt to be more cutting but there's zero emotion to it because everyone is a hateful caricature.

The Death of Stalin worked as an exception because of the subject matter, and the lead in Avenue 5 was likeable by virtue of being Hugh Laurie.

Some controversial referee decisions in the Australia v USA men's rugby 7s Olympics match.

... but a clear win for SPOILER!
    edited July 25
    Have we done Kamala Harris's first 'framing' campaign ad?

"Freedom to" vs "Freedom from".
    Promise vs Fear.
    Future vs Past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHky_Xopyrw
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,019
    kle4 said:

I remember trying, with some degree of futility, to read a book on a 747 to Hong Kong in 1997, as the plane load of Chinese passengers pissed themselves watching the Mr Bean inflight movie.
  • kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

This is certainly true, and it's one reason I find most Armando Iannucci works like The Thick of It or Veep a little lacking, because they attempt to be more cutting but there's zero emotion to it because everyone is a hateful caricature.

The Death of Stalin worked as an exception because of the subject matter, and the lead in Avenue 5 was likeable by virtue of being Hugh Laurie.
    That is I think why the remake of Reggie Perrin failed.

The originals were flawed but realistic human beings who were stuck in a situation and it was funny.

In the remake they were unlikeable, one dimensional, cretins and it was toe curling, not funny, as a result.

• MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,764
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

That one foot in the grave episode was excellent not only because it was so well written but also it put a bit of background to the character. We learn they had lost a child. Something not,touched on before. They make the characters more than just one dimensional ones dropping funny lines.
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 43
    I understand why Charlotte Dujardin is out of the Olympics.

But why then is a Dutch volleyball player who was convicted of raping an underage child allowed to compete?
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Ianucci’s neglected masterpiece is Time Trumpet
    ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Which is great value if you have cash in your account to spend, since any reduction in costs comes post-tax while investments are pre-tax.

Not great value if needing to borrow to make the purchase.

According to that link that pack would save £58-70 per month on your bills, and cost typically £209 per month on the finance package they recommend.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Test
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

There is of course also a feature film with the characters exploring the exact opposite...
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,530
    Barnesian said:

I'm surprised it is blank and not shocked.

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

The originals were flawed but realistic human beings who were stuck in a situation and it was funny.

In the remake they were unlikeable, one dimensional, cretins and it was toe curling, not funny, as a result.

The only remake or updating I can think of that was actually any good is Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

I don’t know why they do it. It just doesn’t work.

A friend of mine reckoned the key to a good comedy is characters who are basically trapped either with each other or in a situation.
    edited July 25
    AnthonyT said:

But why then is a Dutch volleyball player who was convicted of raping an underage child allowed to compete?

All the Chinese swimmers are on the baking soda and carbon monoxide....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/25/paris-2024-wada-us-athletes-doping-chinese-swimmers-protest/

Medal contender Max Kuehner accused by public prosecutor in Germany of hitting horse’s legs with a bar to make it jump higher

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/25/max-kuehner-horse-equestrian-olympics-abuse-dujardin-paris/
    edited July 25
    One that I finds cut through, but not that far back, and I think will stand the test of time, is some material from 'stadium' comedians.

"Staple the Vicar"
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Never heard of it.
    AnthonyT said:

I presume because he didn’t whip her?
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25

ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Which is great value if you have cash in your account to spend, since any reduction in costs comes post-tax while investments are pre-tax.

Not great value if needing to borrow to make the purchase.

According to that link that pack would save £58-70 per month on your bills, and cost typically £209 per month on the finance package they recommend.
    I would say if you have a LOT of cash in your account.

If there is a serious chance you might in the meanwhile need it for eg new car, daughters wedding etc, by spending it on a solar installation you become a lot more "precarious"

Also if, like me you have a terraced house with several kids, space is at a premium (so space lost to batteries is an issue - they are bulky and need ventilation, both for thermal reasons and Hydrogen Lower Explosion Level reasons) and the whole place being turned upside down for the installation is several orders of magnitude more difficult.
    AnthonyT said:

He's just that good a volleyball player?

But seriously it's just down to standards of those doing the selecting.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Never heard of it.
    YouTube has the lot.
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

The only remake or updating I can think of that was actually any good is Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

A friend of mine reckoned the key to a good comedy is characters who are basically trapped either with each other or in a situation.
    Yep - essentially characters are trapped in their situation. Ted Crilly on Craggy island, Basil Fawlty trapped running a hotel when he hates guests, Porridge with fletch physically trapped, but also subject to Grouty, and the warders.

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Yep - essentially characters are trapped in their situation. Ted Crilly on Craggy island, Basil Fawlty trapped running a hotel when he hates guests, Porridge with fletch physically trapped, but also subject to Grouty, and the warders.
    It's certainly why the first few seasons of Red Dwarf worked.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,605

Test

Linford Christie has failed
    Foss said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

I've recently watched the entire series, including the revival series. Some episodes are not great to be sure, but several are surprisingly good, better than they have a right to be after so long, though my favourite series' remain 4-6.
    edited July 25
    kle4 said:

AnthonyT said:

He's just that good a volleyball player?

But seriously it's just down to standards of those doing the selecting.
    Different countries have very varied moral standards. At one point, the Team GB policy was a failed drugs test meant banned for Olympic selection for life. It only changed when they lost a court case over Dwayne Chambers. Where as the US, have picked people who have served 3 drugs bans.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,057

Barnesian said:

It used to be illegal....
    Arguably less cruel than dressage, though.
    Wild West Britian...the taxi driver certainly had an interesting shift.

https://x.com/CrimeLdn/status/1816466748528378110
    Trinity Rodman (Dennis Rodman's daughter) making a splash in the Olympics football.
    kle4 said:

Foss said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

I've recently watched the entire series, including the revival series. Some episodes are not great to be sure, but several are surprisingly good, better than they have a right to be after so long, though my favourite series' remain 4-6.
    I was suprised at how well 11/12 worked - though I'm not sure why as old bickering men isn’t too dissimilar to young bickering men.

Apparently there’s going to be more as some rights issue or another has been resolved.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,289
    AnthonyT said:

As he has already served four years in prison for it?
This discussion has been closed.