Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

History suggests lawyer Starmer was always going to win this election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Nunu5 said:

Heard from two reliable sources.

Post work surge to vote is reminiscent of the Brexit referendum vote.

But but "putin" "racism"..
    What does post work mean?
    Never mind.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

DavidL said:

SteveS said:

No lawyer has ever lost to a non-lawyer, until: https://xkcd.com/1122/

No challenger whose father was a toolmaker has ever beaten a Southampton fan.
    Has a Southampton fan ever won?
    Man Utd v Southampton cup final on the 1st May 1976 when Utd lost to Southampton 0 - 1 and I was there !!!
    I wasn’t there but I remember that. Painful. But, and I may be wrong, I am not sure I can identify any Southampton supporting PM.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    dixiedean said:

Voting done. It was the most brisk I've ever seen it in any election I've ever voted in, but then again it was about 5:30pm.

For the first time in twenty years voted red instead of blue.

As well as a negative vote against Sunak and the incompetence of the Tories in recent years, that's a positive vote for Starmer and Reeves promising planning reform and more housing.

I fully expect to be disappointed, but if we get planning reform, its exactly what this country needs - and policies over party, I'm willing to lend my vote to Labour if they're going to do the right thing.

You, Bart, are my bellwether. I don't need opinion polls.

I've been telling everybody I know: Barty Bobs is voting Labour. Extraordinary. It's in the bag.
    Kudos to you.
    Barty and Gin voted Labour.
    Wish I'd had a bet on that double three years ago!
    We could add Leon to the list.
    If we believe him.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

rcs1000 said:

Four hours and nineteen minutes until... BOOM.

Tonight I will be at the count where Douglas Ross, Andrew Bowie and hopefully Stephen Flynn all lose…
    Are the counts at the Beach Ballroom still?
    No sir. The shire and the city counted together at TECA
    oic. I was at Aberdeen Uni till 87. Memories.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448

Matches what I observed when I voted, never seen it that brisk at any polling station I've voted in before (though in 2016 I was on paternity leave and voted quite early not after work).

Though of course this is the first General Election since I moved here so it could be normal, but it felt brisk.

Didn't ask the teller, normally do but it was that busy I didn't want to mess anyone around.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What is everybody's media set- up?

I've got a big TV, an iPad, a laptop, and my phone, all tuned to different aspects of the election. It's like NASA, but with much better wine

My dilemma is when to start drinking. I can't wait til the exit poll that's too far away. I think a gentle couple of G&Ts before supper ariund 8, then a hefty Malbec to go with the Singapore laksa (yes I know, non-canonical, sue me). Then I might go for a Grand Cru Bordeaux or a Gran Reserva Rioja to be slowly imbibed through the night, finishing with a slug of Macallan 30 year old and a Valium to knock me out til noon

TV. BBC for the theme tune. Mobile on PB.

Probably switch the volume off on the TV unless something worth watching.

Or switch it off. During the referendum I switched off TV and got all my reports from PB as I got irritated by the windbags on the panel. You don't really need anything else.
    Don't you want to see the drama written on all those faces?

I LOVED the anguish of the Remainers, I drank their tears. It was cold cold lovely revenge after all their cheating and lying for decades

They will get their own revenge now, but I don't give a fuck. We Brexited, and we will never return
    Firstly, of course we will return although it’s true that you may be dead before it happens, old man.

Secondly, you were a Remainer until 20 metres from the polling station.

Nothing you post is believable and everything is about you. You’re a sad old man embittered because the world no longer wants to read your tawdry tales of male sexual predation.
    We've been through this, petal. I earn more than the PM (by salary!). I just had lunch with my agent at the Groucho, today, where we discussed the likely screen adaptation of my flint knapping memoirs, and the worldwide sales of my new flint knapping guide, already bought by several territories (Poland, Finland, Germany, etc). Sorry

She also gave me brilliant gossip about Starmer, which might unsettle your feminist perspective on the Great Leader manque
    Petal???? Even for a seedy old roue like yourself that´s unneccessarily patronising..

The Groucho´s Bernard Manning, Ladies and Gentlemen... slightly less dead, but he´s here all week.
    So, she's allowed to call me any name under the sun - "sad, embittered old man, a male sexual predator" etc etc (which is all fine, I don't mind a bit of argy bargy- but note: she started it). But if I dare to call her "petal" in response, somehow I'm the bad guy? Petal???

Do fuck off, you wanking little gnome
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,759

Working people voting not good for the Tories…
    RIGHT. I'm off to do my democratic duty of executing the Tories. Wish me luck
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Knocked off work now and watching The Death Of Stalin. Seems appropes.

Is that live?
    Netflix
    Just a brilliant film Zhukov steals the show.
    Everyone says that but to my mind Simon Russell Beale as Beria is the most brilliant. He perfects "dickhead".
    He is very good too. A perfect depiction of evil. He cheerfully saying how enthusiastic the women were trying to save their husbands lives utterly futilely was shocking.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Four hours and nineteen minutes until... BOOM.

It's much closer to the summer solstice than a normal election, sunset only 16 minutes before the exit poll. For Rochdale it won't have set !
    Nope. Sunset is 22:08
    Is that in North Aberdeenshire OR East Moray?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    So are the Greens in to win West Worcestershire?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    edited July 4
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

BBC for coverage tonight?

No itv is generally better and faster though i will watch the exit poll on the bbc.
    I’m somewhat off-put by the the 3 panellists they have selected:

George Osborne

Ed Balls

Nicola Sturgeon
    Could be worse. Channel 4 have mad Nads.

I might switch over for a laugh, but no way for extended viewing.
    Radio 4 is the best combination of relaxing and comprehensive. Not the fastest, but is compatible with going to bed, which these days is a substantial factor for me.

Might switch occasionally to Times Radio to see what it's like.

Matches what I observed when I voted, never seen it that brisk at any polling station I've voted in before (though in 2016 I was on paternity leave and voted quite early not after work).

Though of course this is the first General Election since I moved here so it could be normal, but it felt brisk.

Didn't ask the teller, normally do but it was that busy I didn't want to mess anyone around.
    I wonder who it benefits. It could be people voting who never vote.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    From our previous coversation, I've just been looking at the polling stations in our council area.

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/media/19569/polling-station-address-list.pdf

There's the usual mix of village halls, churches, etc. But I notice Carlton has 'Caravan' as the place. A bit far for me to go and see what that means...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Is that live?
    Netflix
    Everyone says that but to my mind Simon Russell Beale as Beria is the most brilliant. He perfects "dickhead".
    He is very good too. A perfect depiction of evil. He cheerfully saying how enthusiastic the women were trying to save their husbands lives utterly futilely was shocking.
    Michael Palin is brilliant too. What a fine straight actor he is. See also GBH, Brazil.
    Pity he didn't do more of it.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,067
    TimS said:

Farooq said:

MikeL said:

Betfair suggesting very efficient LD vote.

Vote share band 10% to 11.99% is favourite.

But also well odds on (1.61) to get over 60 seats.

Obviously both are entirely possible but would seem extraordinarily efficient.

The sick thing is, that "efficiency" is still low. 9.5% of the seats on 11% of the vote. Shows how unbalanced our system really is that this is an achievement (and it really is).
    That still strikes me as unlikely in terms of vote efficiency for the Lib Dems. Their high water mark was 62 seats in 2005, but that was on 22%. Conservatives are much lower now with the RefUK fissure, and Labour have been helpful in terms of tacit support for tactical voting and avoiding more than a couple of red on gold scraps. But it would be VERY efficient and there is value in below 60.
    The most insanely efficient was SNP in 2015. 56 seats on 4.7% of the vote.
    Sure, but there's an obvious reason for that in that the nature of the SNP means they have *zero* wasted votes in places they can't win (i.e. nearly 600 seats in the rest of the UK). Inevitably, quite a bit of the Lib Dem vote will be in the 500+ seats where they are standing aren't in serious contention - it'll be 5% here and 10% there, but it adds up to a lot. There are only about 100 where the votes could conceivably elect a Lib Dem MP.

I'd also note the SNP weren't the most insanely efficient. The recently departed Dr Richard Taylor and his Kidderminster Health Concern secured an impressive 0.15% of MPs in 2005, on merely 0.04% of the national vote. Massively more efficient.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Nunu5 said:
    While we're all rightly obsessed with domestic politics today, I did notice two things on BF Exchange -

1. Harris is approaching crossover with Biden for being the Dem nominee, 2.5 for Biden vs 2.8 for Harris.
    2. Harris is already shorter odds (7) to be Presidential Winner 2024 than Biden (8.6) - Trump trading at 1.69.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

52% Con-Ref 48% everyone else.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Does anyone think a high turnout could be anything other than bad for the Tories?
    Andy_JS said:

Jason Beer KC for PM.

He couldn’t possibly afford the pay cut.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Farooq said:

MikeL said:

Betfair suggesting very efficient LD vote.

Vote share band 10% to 11.99% is favourite.

But also well odds on (1.61) to get over 60 seats.

Obviously both are entirely possible but would seem extraordinarily efficient.

The sick thing is, that "efficiency" is still low. 9.5% of the seats on 11% of the vote. Shows how unbalanced our system really is that this is an achievement (and it really is).
    That still strikes me as unlikely in terms of vote efficiency for the Lib Dems. Their high water mark was 62 seats in 2005, but that was on 22%. Conservatives are much lower now with the RefUK fissure, and Labour have been helpful in terms of tacit support for tactical voting and avoiding more than a couple of red on gold scraps. But it would be VERY efficient and there is value in below 60.
    Yes, I think the value on the lower ranges for the LDs is right.

I would say 45-49. We're not going to get all our targets.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Is that live?
    Netflix
    It's a wildly popular film with the Central/Eastern European folk I know. I hadn't given it any particular thought until I was recommending some old UK satire to them and they recognised Armando's name and then it was "OMG THAT FILM WAS THE BEST!". (With quite a bit more swearing about the Soviets that I'll refrain from posting...)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @ElectCalculus

If you'd like to track the results yourself, we're bringing back our retro yet popular Slide-o-meter sheets.

Simply print off the sheets, grab some highlighters and mark each seat with the colour of the winning party as the results roll in:

https://x.com/ElectCalculus/status/1808915750444269983
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:
    While we're all rightly obsessed with domestic politics today, I did notice two things on BF Exchange -

1. Harris is approaching crossover with Biden for being the Dem nominee, 2.5 for Biden vs 2.8 for Harris.
    2. Harris is already shorter odds (7) to be Presidential Winner 2024 than Biden (8.6) - Trump trading at 1.69.
    Harris was clear favourite for nomination at one point yesterday - around 2.2 for a fair while.
    Leon said:

I've got a big TV, an iPad, a laptop, and my phone, all tuned to different aspects of the election. It's like NASA, but with much better wine

My dilemma is when to start drinking. I can't wait til the exit poll that's too far away. I think a gentle couple of G&Ts before supper ariund 8, then a hefty Malbec to go with the Singapore laksa (yes I know, non-canonical, sue me). Then I might go for a Grand Cru Bordeaux or a Gran Reserva Rioja to be slowly imbibed through the night, finishing with a slug of Macallan 30 year old and a Valium to knock me out til noon

I don't have live TV anymore so will probably stream Sky News via YouTube on the TV.

Laptop on PB.com

At 10pm I'll probably stop refreshing PB for a minute or so as expect the stream to be delayed a few seconds and don't want to see it on here before I see the result. Be like getting a goal alert on the phone before seeing it while streaming.

Sky will have the exit poll won't they? Normally past years watched the exit poll on the Beeb but don't have BBC/licence fee anymore.
    kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Trump, soon "cuckoo Kamala".
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Chris said:

Does anyone think a high turnout could be anything other than bad for the Tories?

Depends if their undecideds turned out and 'came home' - polling had far more of them than others
    edited July 4
    Chris said:

Not normally, but a lot of people were suggesting many disgruntled Tories - who are the former Tory-voting Don’t Knows in the polls - might sit this one out. A high turnout means they aren’t - and therefore those polls that have weighted the DKs back toward their previous voting behaviour will be closer than those who have just left them out. Maybe the supermajority line is working out?
    Chris said:

I don't think it will be a high turnout, but I don't think turnout makes much difference to party shares.

Good for democracy though.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    I
    Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Malc writing his lines now?
    Nunu5 said:

After work voting?

Labour/Lib Dems will be the beneficiaries IMHO.

Reform/Tories will be mainly daytime/postal pensioner voting this year.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    This is interesting

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1808898595216671003

If the Conservative party loses the election, which of their prime ministers since 2010 do you think will be MOST responsible?

All Britons
    Boris Johnson: 28%
    Rishi Sunak: 20%
    Liz Truss: 18%
    David Cameron: 7%
    Theresa May: 3%

2019 Con voters
    Liz Truss: 27%
    Rishi Sunak: 22%
    Boris Johnson: 20%
    David Cameron: 6%
    Theresa May: 6%

2019 Lab voters
    Boris Johnson: 40%
    Rishi Sunak: 19%
    Liz Truss: 15%
    David Cameron: 9%
    Theresa May: 2%
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Chris said:

It could be good for the Tories.

Back in 1997 approx 2 million Tories sat it out compared to 1992.

Chris said:

Depends if their undecideds turned out and 'came home' - polling had far more of them than others
    High turnout might also push away from proportional swing to more UNS . Lot of factors at play

I

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Malc writing his lines now?
    Could do much worse.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Or switch it off. During the referendum I switched off TV and got all my reports from PB as I got irritated by the windbags on the panel. You don't really need anything else.

I LOVED the anguish of the Remainers, I drank their tears. It was cold cold lovely revenge after all their cheating and lying for decades

They will get their own revenge now, but I don't give a fuck. We Brexited, and we will never return
    Firstly, of course we will return although it’s true that you may be dead before it happens, old man.

Nothing you post is believable and everything is about you. You’re a sad old man embittered because the world no longer wants to read your tawdry tales of male sexual predation.
    We've been through this, petal. I earn more than the PM (by salary!). I just had lunch with my agent at the Groucho, today, where we discussed the likely screen adaptation of my flint knapping memoirs, and the worldwide sales of my new flint knapping guide, already bought by several territories (Poland, Finland, Germany, etc). Sorry

She also gave me brilliant gossip about Starmer, which might unsettle your feminist perspective on the Great Leader manque
    Petal???? Even for a seedy old roue like yourself that´s unneccessarily patronising..

The Groucho´s Bernard Manning, Ladies and Gentlemen... slightly less dead, but he´s here all week.
    So, she's allowed to call me any name under the sun - "sad, embittered old man, a male sexual predator" etc etc (which is all fine, I don't mind a bit of argy bargy- but note: she started it). But if I dare to call her "petal" in response, somehow I'm the bad guy? Petal???

You really "lunched well" didn´t you?

But, please don´t project onto other people what we already know is well known to be true about yourself. Its a bit too classic Trumpian.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,759
    So back from work, I’ve just had some salad for tea and off to cast my vote, which will be for former MP Matthew Green in South Shropshire. I’ll wash that down with a pint of Wye Valley HPA in the pub opposite our polling station.

Seeing as it’s a thing….

1987 - Harrogate - SDP
    1992 - Tayside North - SNP (for John Swinney (!) who took it in 97)
    1997 - North Norfolk - Lib Dem (for Norman Lamb who took it in 01)
    2001 - Ludlow - Lib Dem
    2005 - Ludlow - Lib Dem (my only winning vote, for Matthew Green)
    2010 - Ludlow - Lib Dem
    2015 - Ludlow - Lib Dem
    2017 - Ludlow - Labour (for Julia Buckley, who will take Shrewsbury for Labour tonight, NB this was for a Labour version of Brexit, not for Jezza)
    2019 - Ludlow - Lib Dem
    2024 - South Shropshire - Lib Dem (will Matthew stage a reprise?)

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Nunu5 said:

In which case Reform will be doing very well...
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,953
    Edinburgh South West, 6PM - unless postal voting is 40%+, turnout looks pretty low. A trickle of homeward bound commuters and shoppers beginning to come in.
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Is that live?
    Netflix
    Michael Palin is brilliant too. What a fine straight actor he is. See also GBH, Brazil.
    Pity he didn't do more of it.
    GBH was fabulous. But he was also
    fantastic in A Fish Called Wanda.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

Not normally, but a lot of people were suggesting many disgruntled Tories - who are the former Tory-voting Don’t Knows in the polls - might sit this one out. A high turnout means they aren’t - and therefore those polls that have weighted the DKs back toward their previous voting behaviour will be closer than those who have just left them out. Maybe the supermajority line is working out?
    Or just as easily it could be folk turning out in greater than anticipated numbers to make sure that the Tories get the boot. We haven't a clue, have we?

From our previous coversation, I've just been looking at the polling stations in our council area.

There's the usual mix of village halls, churches, etc. But I notice Carlton has 'Caravan' as the place. A bit far for me to go and see what that means...

We used to have a mini portacabin that was lifted into the pub car park for polling day, as there was nowhere else available in that polling district and you can’t use pubs. It was so small that there was only room for one voter to go on at a time, which was a shame when the rain was heavy. Maybe the caravan is similar?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    edited July 4
    Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew
    You’d think that Day 1 training for Russian bot farms shilling for Reform would be to learn the word ‘pub’:

Might have meant the Con Club.
    eek said:

Nunu5 said:

In which case Reform will be doing very well...
    Yes. (But that's bias from me)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 4
    Last bet review. This is where I am, hoping for smallish but reliable-ish winnings. Not unhappy I think. I've avoided too many late constituency bets.

Hoped to be the bankers for between a stake saver and £200-300 each:

Labour fewer votes than 2017: 9
    Reform voteshare - various covering 0% to 14%. Good odds up to 39, stake savers either end.
    Tory Seats - various covering 50 to 300 seats. Again, good in the middle, stake savers each end.

Easter Eggs and Fun Money - going to charity.

About 5 constituency bets.
    Rishi Sunk still to be Con leader in 2025 @ 40

And a couple of "Rishis" ie already sunk.

£5 on Angela Rayner not to be Lab leader at the next Election, which I though meant 2028-9.
    Reform zero seats some time ago.

Decisions:

Do I need to strength up any of my "end of ranges"?
    Any opportunities that come up. Suggestions are welcome.
    Timing of pheasant consumption.

DM_Andy said:

What's the oddest polling station people here have voted at? I once voted in a polling station that was literally someone's front room.

On my bike ride at 11.00 this morning I passed a local village pub (The White Swan, Conington), which is also the polling station. A couple of people were sitting on a bench outside drinking something. And on a drive through rural Bedfordshire, there were polling station signs outside a church and another outside a village hall.

My own polling station is a cricket pavilion. In fact, both the village's cricket pavilions are polling station today, as is what passes for the village hall.
    My polling station used to be a local pub; now it is a set of dancing studios / suites, where they do large monthly Northern Soul events.

Chris said:

High turnout might also push away from proportional swing to more UNS . Lot of factors at play
    ??
    Polling station report:

“Really quiet, was quite busy before 10am but dribs and drabs since then”

Interesting. This is Starmer’s constituency - so not much enthusiasm for the PM himself. But then this is Primrose Hill so maybe everyone’s eating lobster Thermidor before they vote at 9.45pm

Nunu5 said:

After work voting?

Maybe. But they would vote after work in 2017, and 2019. Question is what's changed compared to those elections
  • PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578
    Lib Dems in ‘Most seats without Labour’

Was 7.6 last night

Now 4.1 on BF Exchange
    Nunu5 said:

Nunu5 said:

After work voting?

Maybe. But they would vote after work in 2017, and 2019. Question is what's changed compared to those elections
    Corbyn's gone and a desire to kick the Tories out?

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew
    You’d think that Day 1 training for Russian bot farms shilling for Reform would be to learn the word ‘pub’:

Everyone in my local drink place always says who they're voting for.

And then everyone cheered.
    Everyone in my local drink place kow tows to an icon of the Blessed Nigel flanked by Trump and Biden upon ordering their first vodka.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

However.
    A high proportion of working people turning out after work does not suggest good news for the Tories.
    That simply isn't their demographic.
    A surge in postal votes would. But we don't have that information.
    We'll know soon enough anyways.
    edited July 4
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

Or just as easily it could be folk turning out in greater than anticipated numbers to make sure that the Tories get the boot. We haven't a clue, have we?
    We haven’t, although what pollsters are assuming for the dont knows is a critical piece of data. We know from the data that something like two thirds of them voted Tory in 2019.

There’s a potential explanation for an upset right there.

Of course we don’t know that they will break heavily for the Tories, despite most of them voting Tory last time. We don’t know anything else about them, since they’ve been telling the pollsters they don’t know. It just looks possible that a good number of them have voted.
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But, please don´t project onto other people what we already know is well known to be true about yourself. Its a bit too classic Trumpian.
    My least favourite kind of pb commenter is the kind that likes to dish out abuse but then cries and sobs if it is returned. It is utterly effete and pathetic so I’m not surprised an inadequate bore such as yourself is cheering it on

Grow a testicle. I’d say grow a pair but that’s surely beyond you
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited July 4
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew

Everyone in my local drink place kow tows to an icon of the Blessed Nigel flanked by Trump and Biden upon ordering their first vodka.
  • PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578

Was 7.6 last night

Now 4.1 on BF Exchange

Also Lib Dems 60 seats or more 1.33
    Lib Dems 59 seats or less 2.68
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

I suppose we had better wait and see. I never feel it makes much sense to go by gut feeling rather than polling, but my gut is starting to feel it will be bad for the Tories.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Jason Beer KC for PM.

He couldn’t possibly afford the pay cut.
    Rubbish we'd all crowd fund the balance. I'd vote for him in a trice. What an operator.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @LadPolitics
    How many seats will the Conservatives win?

0-49 - 10/1
    50-99 - 11/10
    100-149 - 11/8
    150-199 - 5/1
    200-249 - 25/1
    250-299 - 50/1
    300-349 - 150/1
    250-399 - 200/1
    400+ - 200/1

Under 99.5 - 4/5
    Over 99.5 - 10/11

https://x.com/LadPolitics/status/1808916466231632047
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew

To be fair, I expect plenty of reform voters shake all over before they get to their local drink place.
    The only Reform poster I have noticed this time was in the window of one of my local drink places.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Does anyone have a list of the 15 Reform seats forecast by the latest Survation MRP? I looked on their map but could only find about 3. Maybe the map wasn't updated or something.
    edited July 4
    Overlooking my bets they are a mixed bag.

Bearish on LDs and Reform, Bullish on Tory and Lab seats and turnout.

I made a few too many too early. I really did expect some swingback that never materialised. Indeed there was swingaway against the government.

Happy to lose though if the Tories go sub 100.

PB ALERT - in honor of US Independence Day AND the UK general election, am sporting a Hawai'ian shirt featuring both the Stars and Stripes AND the Union Jack, the latter in the canton of the royal, territorial and state flag of Hawai'i.

Happy Treason Day you ungrateful colonial.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    MattW said:

Last bet review. This is where I am, hoping for smallish but reliable-ish winnings. Not unhappy I think. I've avoided too many late constituency bets.

Hoped to be the bankers for between a stake saver and £200-300 each:

Labour fewer votes than 2017: 9
    Reform voteshare - various covering 0% to 14%. Good odds up to 39, stake savers either end.
    Tory Seats - various covering 50 to 300 seats. Again, good in the middle, stake savers each end.

Easter Eggs and Fun Money - going to charity.

About 5 constituency bets.
    Rishi Sunk still to be Con leader in 2025 @ 40

And a couple of "Rishis" ie already sunk.

£5 on Angela Rayner not to be Lab leader at the next Election, which I though meant 2028-9.
    Reform zero seats some time ago.

Decisions:

Do I need to strength up any of my "end of ranges"?
    Any opportunities that come up. Suggestions are welcome.
    Timing of pheasant consumption.

DM_Andy said:

What's the oddest polling station people here have voted at? I once voted in a polling station that was literally someone's front room.

On my bike ride at 11.00 this morning I passed a local village pub (The White Swan, Conington), which is also the polling station. A couple of people were sitting on a bench outside drinking something. And on a drive through rural Bedfordshire, there were polling station signs outside a church and another outside a village hall.

My own polling station is a cricket pavilion. In fact, both the village's cricket pavilions are polling station today, as is what passes for the village hall.
    My polling station used to be a local pub; now it is a set of dancing studios / suites, where they do large monthly Northern Soul events.

Typo: Angela Rayner still to be Labour Deputy Leader. At some high odds, but academic.

And I need to get my head around the SS with anything to do at 10:00:01pm or later.

Now time to put the pheasant in the air fryer.
    Higher than expected turn out is ringing very big 1992 bells to me.

This is going to be a long and tense night.
    This really could be the day the Tory party dies as a national party. Even now its quite hard to get one’s head around that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew

Surely Trump and Putin!
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Evening, bedwetters.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    edited July 4

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew

Surely Trump and Putin!
    Perhaps Biden is a deep cover agent?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    IanB2 said:

We used to have a mini portacabin that was lifted into the pub car park for polling day, as there was nowhere else available in that polling district and you can’t use pubs. It was so small that there was only room for one voter to go on at a time, which was a shame when the rain was heavy. Maybe the caravan is similar?
    That's my guess. I'm really tempted to go over and look, but it's half an hour's drive away.

The BBC should do an election-day slot on weird polling stations.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Cicero said:

Or 2016 bells?
    edited July 4
    I have to say I am disappointed at how many PBers have dissed this thread and lawyers on this thread.

I am going to flounce now and won't be back until Monday.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    Chris said:

The great unknown from canvassing was the former Tories who were inclined to vote for the Can't Be Arsed Party.

Now, if thye have come out to prevent a MegaGinormousStonkingStarmerMajority, could be very good news for the Tories.

*Very good news being a relative term. More ABH than GBH. Chinese burn without the kick in the bollocks.
    DavidL said:

The one I always remember was Indyref. Pretty much everyone had voted by lunchtime. The numbers we were monitoring at various polling stations just didn’t really move from about 12 to 10pm. It was weird.
    We had a big GOTV organisation set up but we were struggling for targets. It was the most important and stressful vote of my lifetime.

Don’t indyref have an astonishingly high turnout? So they all showed up before noon…
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

My least favourite kind of pb commenter is the kind that likes to dish out abuse but then cries and sobs if it is returned. It is utterly effete and pathetic so I’m not surprised an inadequate bore such as yourself is cheering it on

Grow a testicle. I’d say grow a pair but that’s surely beyond you
    Oh dear... how many lines this time? Your decadence manque is the meanderings of the classic pub bore.

Heathener said:

I mean, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by this. And yet it still does surprise me.

The tories are cooked, aren’t they?

p.s. no need to pour opprobrium on Anna. That’s not the point really.

She's an ex leader of a centrist split party and implacabbly opposed to toryism, it's not remotely surprising
    I'm surprised she was ever a Conservative tbh.
    DavidL said:

This really could be the day the Tory party dies as a national party. Even now its quite hard to get one’s head around that.

Scary times.

I plan for the worst but hope for the best.

Which isn't ideal when you're trying to bet on this election.
    Stocky said:

BBC for coverage tonight?

God, no.

They're shit.
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

However.
    A high proportion of working people turning out after work does not suggest good news for the Tories.
    That simply isn't their demographic.
    A surge in postal votes would. But we don't have that information.
    We'll know soon enough anyways.
    If they are popping in to vote with a minor route variation but on their way to their post work local drink places, and shaking a bit, then Reform could be in the zone. Tell Putin.
    DavidL said:

Not the first day, the Tories had no seats in Scotland in 1997.

Give it a decade and they'll start to come back. The country needs an Opposition and a party of the right as well as one of the left, but the Tories need to find a One Nation Cameron style figure who will bring the party back to appealing to the whole country.
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Nick_Pettigrew

Do you drink in a Conservative Club too?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Chris said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

I suppose we had better wait and see. I never feel it makes much sense to go by gut feeling rather than polling, but my gut is starting to feel it will be bad for the Tories.
    Hmmmm, seems a lot of people agree:

Was 7.6 last night

Now 4.1 on BF Exchange

Also Lib Dems 60 seats or more 1.33
    Lib Dems 59 seats or less 2.68
    Certainly anything that suggests money going on a strong Lib Dem performance is potentially terrible news for the Conservatives. The Lib Dems are starting from so far adrift in so many of these seats - that many wins would imply mammoth swings, presumably incorporating significant tactical voting.

Con reduced to sub-100 would be richly deserved. It feels a bit too good to be true, but maybe the more outrageous predictions will turn out to be right?

Evening, bedwetters.

Evening Leon 2.0
    We have absolutely no signs of a high turnout. Just anecdata and much of it conflicting
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

Cicero said:

Or 2016 bells?
    My local polling station had a 10 min wait which I’ve never seen. Though my general sense is still that people are determined to vote tactically to get the Tories out..

Was 7.6 last night

Now 4.1 on BF Exchange

But late betting movements while polls are open have so often proved to be wrong, sometimes dramatically so?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    F1: in not at all shocking news, Bearman joins Haas next year.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/c134014e5djo
    DavidL said:

Funnily enough, as I read this Radio 2 are playing American Pie (the day the Music Died)
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Chris said:

It would be consistent with the "normally vote tory but sitting on my hands this time" contingent being smaller than expected, which if you were an optimistic tory could be good for them...

I am not saying this though. I haven't a clue. Think I can write off my zero reform seats bet though!
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 504

DavidL said:

Not the first day, the Tories had no seats in Scotland in 1997.

Give it a decade and they'll start to come back. The country needs an Opposition and a party of the right as well as one of the left, but the Tories need to find a One Nation Cameron style figure who will bring the party back to appealing to the whole country.
    +1
    IanB2 said:

Was 7.6 last night

Now 4.1 on BF Exchange

But late betting movements while polls are open have so often proved to be wrong, sometimes dramatically so?
    Nobody has enough info to know at this stage, lots of profit taking etc. The big moves come at 10.01 and even that's not guaranteed
This discussion has been closed.