Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This would be the result of the night – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,736
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

No longer would we refer to the Portillo moment. Henceforth and in perpetuity it would be known as the Sunak moment.

Were you up for Sunak? :)

It would also be fitting if all those former Tory leaders who were responsible in one way or another for the destruction of their party - Sunak, Truss and of course IDS for bringing in the stupid membership voting rules - were themselves forced to share the pain of so many of their, sometimes decent, backbench MPs.

I think we need to decide if a 'Portillo moment' is:

a ) the defeat of a prominent politician, or
    b ) the *unexpected* defeat of a prominent politician.

So in the case of (b) e.g. Jeremy Hunt losing is not a Portillo Moment. Sunak losing would be.
    Or the unexpected defeat of a disliked, prominent politician, and I'm not sure Hunt or Sunak are really disliked. Gove was but is not standing, Suella would qualify, and maybe JRM if he counts as an unexpected defeat.
    Was Portillo *that* disliked? Genuine question; I was 16 at the time, relatively politically aware but not in the weeds like we are here.

Suella would 100% qualify. As would Truss and I think JRM too.
    He was a highly partisan, divisive figure - so yes by some.

He was approved of by both Tebbit and Thatcher.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,904

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

sarissa said:

I will be opening the Chablis if Sunak loses... One must celebrate appropriately :)

At thet time of night/morning, I'll probably have a sandwich...
    For some inexplicable reason I’ve bought some scotch eggs. I never eat scotch eggs! Just fancy them on election night.

Diet coke to help counter migraines as I’ll be on keyboard and tv screen. I never drink diet coke.

Also some Comté cheese with pitta and Ryvitas, olives, peppermint tea, special k bars

No alcohol because I don’t touch the stuff
    You have the cheek to complain about Leon posts when you post absolute crap constantly, WTF and quel surprise you don't drink, would not go with the quinoa and pea shoots.
    The Aldi Cuckoo Clock (the one you said looked like a demented pigeon clock in 2016) is all set too Cockoo the exit poll in at 10PM tomorrow
    You deranged,, why would I be in Aldi ever
    It was my Aldi Cuckoo Clock that you said lookedl like a demented pigeon when I posted it up here.

(Long time ago but I think it was in response to you reslonding "Cuckoo" once too often...)
    @MisterBedfordshire you have a much better memory than myself, have no recollection of that at all, apologies for insulting your cuckoo though I would have been jesting for sure.
This discussion has been closed.