Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This would be the result of the night – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MJWMJW Posts: 1,617
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Biden will quit before the end of July, possibly much sooner than that

It's gonna be Kamala Harris

Biden won’t resign as President IMO.

If Harris becomes President now, the Republican house won’t confirm a VP as replacement - because should anything happen to Harris, Republican Speaker Mike Johnson would then be acting President.

They will let Biden serve out the rest of his term.
    Yes, it’s the VP that needs confirmation but I think that the risk of Harris being able to serve 5 months is one they’ll take. (The extract below I reproduce because I was going to make a completely different point which was wrong but I’ve spent so much time on it I’ll keep it)

Amendment XXV
    Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
    Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

I suppose there are two issues. One is whether he is merely very old and now struggles as is too slow in public, pressured situations where can't take time to think. Or there's something seriously wrong with Biden. Either way he shouldn't run. If something's seriously medically wrong then he has to stand down in favour of Harris, who either becomes nominee or nominates the person who will be as VP.

If he's just old and frail to the point he's not up to the usual rigours of a presidency and campaign then there's an exit strategy. He gives a big emotional speech - which he is capable of doing as a setpiece - saying he's OK, but realises he can't go on for four more years and it's clear has lost the confidence of his party as nominee and won't be standing but will carry on till January. Tries to garner some sympathy as acting out of duty.

Neither is particularly good optics for the Democrats, but we are where we are. They have to hope the optics of four years of untrammeled Trump are worse and whoever takes his place is a good campaigner.
  • PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

If Harris becomes President now, the Republican house won’t confirm a VP as replacement - because should anything happen to Harris, Republican Speaker Mike Johnson would then be acting President.

Yes, it’s the VP that needs confirmation but I think that the risk of Harris being able to serve 5 months is one they’ll take. (The extract below I reproduce because I was going to make a completely different point which was wrong but I’ve spent so much time on it I’ll keep it)

Amendment XXV
    Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.
    Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

But no Dem VP to certify election results? That seems a HUGE risk.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

No longer would we refer to the Portillo moment. Henceforth and in perpetuity it would be known as the Sunak moment.

Were you up for Sunak? :)

It would also be fitting if all those former Tory leaders who were responsible in one way or another for the destruction of their party - Sunak, Truss and of course IDS for bringing in the stupid membership voting rules - were themselves forced to share the pain of so many of their, sometimes decent, backbench MPs.

I think we need to decide if a 'Portillo moment' is:

a ) the defeat of a prominent politician, or
    b ) the *unexpected* defeat of a prominent politician.

So in the case of (b) e.g. Jeremy Hunt losing is not a Portillo Moment. Sunak losing would be.
    Or the unexpected defeat of a disliked, prominent politician, and I'm not sure Hunt or Sunak are really disliked. Gove was but is not standing, Suella would qualify, and maybe JRM if he counts as an unexpected defeat.
    Was Portillo *that* disliked? Genuine question; I was 16 at the time, relatively politically aware but not in the weeds like we are here.

Suella would 100% qualify. As would Truss and I think JRM too.
    He was a bete noir at the time. Viscerally disliked by many. Easy to forget in the light of his subsequent career. Rishi doesn't come close.
    I think Truss or JRM would be closer to a Portillo moment than Sunak. It was the seeming arrogance and entitlement of Portillo that made him so disliked.

It's quite amazing the way he's turned public perception of himself around by taking a few train rides lol...
    It wasn't just the trains. First he had to show some understanding of why he had lost, and he then took part in that reality show where he lived the life of a single parent on benefits and came to understand what a hard existence it was. Then he started doing the trains.
    I quite liked his double act with Dianne Abbott as well.
    Oh yeah, Diane did quite a lot to "rehabilitate" his reputation, as next to her (and whatever loopy guests they had on) Portillo was usually the voice of reason on that show...
    Also next to Neill's 'sneering haemorrhoid face' (copyright: M Tucker) his rubbery perma-grin looked quite appealing.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,315
    Heathener said:

Talking of Sturgeon, the 2019 defeat of Jo Swinson was particularly vicious.

Ouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS4kaxRJYqU

I don’t know why you edited your earlier post revealing your age. Nothing to be embarrassed about, I was going to compliment you for having achieved so much at such a relatively young age. So many jobs, become a published expert on things, being interviewed all since 1981. You are an inspiration.

• Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,247
    mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

No longer would we refer to the Portillo moment. Henceforth and in perpetuity it would be known as the Sunak moment.

It would also be fitting if all those former Tory leaders who were responsible in one way or another for the destruction of their party - Sunak, Truss and of course IDS for bringing in the stupid membership voting rules - were themselves forced to share the pain of so many of their, sometimes decent, backbench MPs.

So in the case of (b) e.g. Jeremy Hunt losing is not a Portillo Moment. Sunak losing would be.
    Or the unexpected defeat of a disliked, prominent politician, and I'm not sure Hunt or Sunak are really disliked. Gove was but is not standing, Suella would qualify, and maybe JRM if he counts as an unexpected defeat.
    Was Portillo *that* disliked? Genuine question; I was 16 at the time, relatively politically aware but not in the weeds like we are here.

He was a bete noir at the time. Viscerally disliked by many. Easy to forget in the light of his subsequent career. Rishi doesn't come close.
    I’m a similar age to @Ghedebrav but can remember Portillo being hated.

He did make a very good concession speech on the night in 1997. I had friends who said he drew the sting out of the defeat.

Jeremy Hunt is widely disliked but I think slightly unfairly. He’s quite popular in his constituency.

Sunak is for many tories, including my Surrey friend, the one who stabbed her beloved Boris in the back. She strongly dislikes him. He has also come out with some disgusting dog-whistle gutter politics recently so I hope he gets politically crushed, even though he’s not to blame for this tory mess.
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I think Truss or JRM would be closer to a Portillo moment than Sunak. It was the seeming arrogance and entitlement of Portillo that made him so disliked.

It's quite amazing the way he's turned public perception of himself around by taking a few train rides lol...
    It wasn't just the trains. First he had to show some understanding of why he had lost, and he then took part in that reality show where he lived the life of a single parent on benefits and came to understand what a hard existence it was. Then he started doing the trains.
    He did apologise nicely at the count, didn't he?
    He did make a very good concession speech on the night in 1997. I had friends who said he drew the sting out of their victory celebrations.

Jeremy Hunt is widely disliked but I think slightly unfairly. He’s quite popular in his constituency.

Rishi Sunak is for many tories, including my Surrey friend, the one who stabbed her beloved Boris in the back. She strongly dislikes him. He has also come out with some disgusting dog-whistle gutter politics recently so I hope he gets politically crushed, even though he’s not to blame for this tory mess.

Liz Truss losing would be delicious.

Hopefully everyone can agree though that the one defeat which would be worth cheering across the political spectrum is Johnny Mercer. What a shit.
    Johnny Mercer is the one for me as well, horrible man
    If Sir Christopher Chope got his come uppance I would die of pleasure, but I am sure we are both safe.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Cavendish gets his 35th stage win
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

🚨 Our final poll of the campaign points to a 20-point Labour lead:

• Con 21% (+1)
    • Lab 41% (+1)
    • Reform 17% (n/c)
    • LD 11% (-2)
    • Green 7% (+1)
    • SNP 2% (-1)

Fieldwork: 1st – 3rd July. Changes from 26 - 28 June.

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1808514736985686041

For a long time, Opinium tended to have the smallest Labour leads because of its methodology. On 24 May, after the GE was called, they had Labour on a 14pp lead. So this lead of 20 looks pretty significant to me.
    We've had endless months of left-leaning posters explaining why the Opinium methodology is suspect. It's kinda hilarious to now see them as the most Labour-favourable pollster.
    To be fair, Opinium were very clear about their methodology and that reasons why they expected their results would come in to line with the other pollsters towards the end of the campaign.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,244

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

• Con 21% (+1)
    • Lab 41% (+1)
    • Reform 17% (n/c)
    • LD 11% (-2)
    • Green 7% (+1)
    • SNP 2% (-1)

For a long time, Opinium tended to have the smallest Labour leads because of its methodology. On 24 May, after the GE was called, they had Labour on a 14pp lead. So this lead of 20 looks pretty significant to me.
    We've had endless months of left-leaning posters explaining why the Opinium methodology is suspect. It's kinda hilarious to now see them as the most Labour-favourable pollster.
    Have we? Who are these left-leaning people who have been posting endlessly about Opinium?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

I've changed my mind. Originally my hope for the greatest defenestration was either JRM or Truss. But no.

I'd forgotten Robert Jenrick. The most corrupt and unpleasant slimeball of the lot. I shall be saving a large slug of whisky for the moment, hopefully, that he goes.

It took a whole day to calm down my Surrey tory friend after Jenrick ordered the painting over of the murals in the children’s migrant building. She was crying about it.

Despicable man.

CAVEEEENDDDDDISHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Get your SPOTY bet in now!

But am utterly delighted for him.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,493

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Amendment XXV

It would be overseen by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, who is also a Democrat.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,244

MRP Poll | Labour Majority of 238

🌹 LAB: 444 (+244)
    🌳 CON: 108 (-264)
    🔶 LDM: 57 (+49)
    🎗️ SNP: 15 (-33)
    ➡️ RFM: 2 (+2)
    🌼 PC: 2 (=)
    🌍 GRN: 1 (=)

Via @focaldataHQ, 10 Jun - 1 Jul.
    Changes w/ GE2019 Notionals.

Is a poll which began interviewing on 10th June much use to anyone?
    No.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,581
    Has anyone mentioned The Times focus group broadcast yesterday - I only heard replay overnight.

Consisted of undecided voters in safe Con seats (from 50th to 150th safest).

Throughout the focus group, everyone essentially criticised all parties. Then at the end the moderator (from JL Partners) asked each person who they thought they would most likely vote for. Every single person said Con. Moderator said you could not have told this from earlier comments.

Moderator conclusion is that Con vote will hold up better than polls suggest in safe Con seats. Still a landslide but not a wipeout.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,388
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@nickeardleybbc

The prime minister is helping stuff envelopes with leaflets to be delivered tomorrow in Hampshire.

There is no mention of Rishi Sunak on any of the leaflets.

https://x.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1808517488914702344

There are probably zero mentions of the Conservative Party on the leaflets
    These envelopes... Are they discreet brown envelopes, by any chance?
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993
    edited July 3
    I've just realised @NerysHughes is banned. Anyone know why? Nothing in her last few posts - was a dodgy one deleted or something?
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

He did make a very good concession speech on the night in 1997. I had friends who said he drew the sting out of their victory celebrations.

Rishi Sunak is for many tories, including my Surrey friend, the one who stabbed her beloved Boris in the back. She strongly dislikes him. He has also come out with some disgusting dog-whistle gutter politics recently so I hope he gets politically crushed, even though he’s not to blame for this tory mess.

Hopefully everyone can agree though that the one defeat which would be worth cheering across the political spectrum is Johnny Mercer. What a shit.
    The hatred for Portillo was a bit confected by the media.
    I think the thing about the Portillo moment was more the momentum shift. He was the coming man, the heir apparent of the Tory right, on the rise in the ranks, phone lines set up. Cruelly cut off in his ascendancy.

To my mind that makes the closest equivalents to Portillo this time probably Badenoch or Braverman. Both of whom I think are pretty safe.
    I’m ambivalent about Badenoch but Braverman is one of the most awful human beings ever to have been elected to the House of Commons. Her ambition is exceeded only by her treachery and both are far in excess of her talent.
    edited July 3
    boulay said:

Heathener said:

Ouch.

I don’t know why you edited your earlier post revealing your age. Nothing to be embarrassed about, I was going to compliment you for having achieved so much at such a relatively young age. So many jobs, become a published expert on things, being interviewed all since 1981. You are an inspiration.

Lol sorry it was because I repeated myself about Sunak. A cut and paste issue with blockquotes.

1997 was my first vote and I remember the Portillo moment well. It was Stephen Twigg’s expression which was so lovely too: a sign of a new broom.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,260
    O/T

"Final fuel delivery marks end of the line for coal

The UK's last remaining coal-fired power station is entering its final days. The plant at Ratcliffe-on Soar, Nottinghamshire, is a prominent landmark for rail passengers on the Midlands Main Line and M1 traffic passing close by. It began generating electricity 57 years ago - in 1967 - with a capacity of 2,000 megawatts, enough to power two million homes. However, it will close on 30 September as part of government plans to end coal production in the UK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c886qd2g80xo
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,866

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Here we go

BREAKING

President Biden told a key ally that his campaign may be unsalvageable if he can’t convince the public he’s up for the job.

NYT

The betting markets have moved decisively against him.
    I wonder if there is VALUE in beting on Kamala to win in 2028?

If she becomes the Dem Nom, then wins in 2024, all she has to do is perform reasonably well and she's surely odds-on for a second term?
    I reckon there's value betting on Trump to win in 2028. Or possibly on one of his children. If he wins this year it seems likely he'll remove term limits and ensure the 2028 election is a foregone conclusion. He's not going to make the same mistakes twice.
    Trump should nominate Ivanka as his running mate. That is the only way the next generation can enter the White House.
    Yeh, why not make it even more obvious what he's planning.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,600
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

• Con 21% (+1)
    • Lab 41% (+1)
    • Reform 17% (n/c)
    • LD 11% (-2)
    • Green 7% (+1)
    • SNP 2% (-1)

To be fair, Opinium were very clear about their methodology and that reasons why they expected their results would come in to line with the other pollsters towards the end of the campaign.
    Indeed that they may well swing to Labour as DKs decided and were no longer allocated to Con.
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Amendment XXV

It would be overseen by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, who is also a Democrat.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification! That is very helpful.

I still think it might be better to have it as VP Harris. It helps her be seen more as ‘Change’ whilst also being able to take the credit of incumbency in the current administration.
    Arghhhhhh you cycling buffs. I was holding off for the highlights show at 7pm.

Damnit.

But I’m thrilled for the Manx Missile
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,250
    ydoethur said:

I've changed my mind. Originally my hope for the greatest defenestration was either JRM or Truss. But no.

I'd forgotten Robert Jenrick. The most corrupt and unpleasant slimeball of the lot. I shall be saving a large slug of whisky for the moment, hopefully, that he goes.

How is it everyone forgets Fabricant?
    We don't, but he's so insignificant his scalp isn't worth having.
    Especially considering the state of the thing covering it.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,105
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I’ve met him a few times and he was very genial.

I guess he became the fall guy for Thatcherism.
    Part of the dislike was how false he came across in UberThatcherite mode.

When he dropped that, and became himself he became much more likeable.
    MikeL said:

Has anyone mentioned The Times focus group broadcast yesterday - I only heard replay overnight.

Throughout the focus group, everyone essentially criticised all parties. Then at the end the moderator (from JL Partners) asked each person who they thought they would most likely vote for. Every single person said Con. Moderator said you could not have told this from earlier comments.

Moderator conclusion is that Con vote will hold up better than polls suggest in safe Con seats. Still a landslide but not a wipeout.

All the MRPs are wrong, in that case.
    MikeL said:

I think if you’re undecided at this point you’re basically a Conservative. Small C and Big C.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Heathener said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Ouch.

Lol sorry it was because I repeated myself about Sunak. A cut and paste issue with blockquotes.

1997 was my first vote and I remember the Portillo moment well. It was Stephen Twigg’s expression which was so lovely too: a sign of a new broom.
    I remember that too - completely startled, a little bit rabbit in the headlights and not surprisingly.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,967

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Here we go

BREAKING

President Biden told a key ally that his campaign may be unsalvageable if he can’t convince the public he’s up for the job.

NYT

The betting markets have moved decisively against him.
    I wonder if there is VALUE in beting on Kamala to win in 2028?

If she becomes the Dem Nom, then wins in 2024, all she has to do is perform reasonably well and she's surely odds-on for a second term?
    I reckon there's value betting on Trump to win in 2028. Or possibly on one of his children. If he wins this year it seems likely he'll remove term limits and ensure the 2028 election is a foregone conclusion. He's not going to make the same mistakes twice.
    Trump should nominate Ivanka as his running mate. That is the only way the next generation can enter the White House.
    Yeh, why not make it even more obvious what he's planning.
    tbf there is probably more substance in Ivanka than most GOP VP candidates.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,872

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Remember he was hiding his homosexuality for many years (very sad, but that's what he felt he needed to do)
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,052
    edited July 3
    FtPBL
    kamski said:

Following last week's bombshell that Aldi in the UK is actually part of Aldi Süd, rather than the more logical Aldi Nord, here is this week's useless fact:

In Germany there are 2 supermarket chains called Netto: Netto (with dog) and Netto (without dog).

This is a bit different to Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd, who coordinate with each other and have divided Germany between them. Above a certain latitude you only find Aldi Nord, and below it Aldi Süd. A bit like the 38th Parallel in Korea or the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not sure on what basis, but they have also divided the rest of Europe into spheres of influence.

The 2 Nettos are completely different companies, Netto (with dog) is owned by a Danish company, Netto (without dog) by a German supermarket chain. I don't think I have ever seen Netto (with dog) outside of the former East Germany, but there are places there that have both and you have to say 'Netto with/without dog' to specify which supermarket you mean.

I realise Netto (with dog) no longer operates in the UK so this may be of slightly less interest than the 2 Aldis revelation, but I promise this is more interesting than next week's useless fact (which will be about Lidl).

A pointlessly trivial correction, but West Berlin has some Nettos "With Dog". Some times one is just around the corner from a Netto "Without Dog". But then Berlin is almost always an exception!
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    YouGov's poll due out in approx 12 minutes. For me, at least, a significant moment in deciding on any adjustments to my final betting strategy.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993

MikeL said:

I think if you’re undecided at this point you’re basically a Conservative. Small C and Big C.

Mrs Stocky is still undecided. She's between the LibDems and Green.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,651

MikeL said:

Or, indeed, Big G
    MikeL said:

Focus groups aren't reliable for extrapolating voting intent though - qual is better for telling you why things happen, rather than what might happen IYSWIM.

Also The Times has been weirdly favourable to the Tories.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,755

Result of the night will be Jeremy Corbyn winning Islington North and if our man on the spot is right about four official canvass visits, Labour is worried about it too.

I think Magic Grandpa will win. And to be honest I shan’t begrudge him it.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393

MikeL said:

If you're undecided at this point you're basically not going to vote.
    edited July 3
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

A lot of it was solely based on his infamous 1995 conference address dubbed "the SAS speech".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rhgUrzOXM
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,304
    Just received a strange email from @NickPalmer

• MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,755

Leon said:

OK I'm going to have a bash at predicting the Worst Possible But Reasonable Tory outcome

Sadly, my bet with @Sandpit is surely lost. They will win at least one seat. But what is a reasonable worst expectation?

I reckon 30-60 seats, and they are behind Reform in votes, and behind the LDs in seats

It doesn't take much movement, on the day, for that to happen

The current movement in the polls is towards the Tories, presumably as the don't knows finally bow to the inevitable and return to the Tory fold. I would be surprised if that ended up being a polling artefact.

Tactical voting would have to be surprisingly effective to drive the Tories below the Liberal Democrats on seats, I think.

I have that slightly outside my reasonable worst expectation for the Tories now, as a result of the polling movements since the weekend.
    I wouldn’t be the surprised if the pollster models don’t bake in swingback.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/captain-tom-daughter-charity-hannah-ingram-b2573317.html

Captain Tom's ghastly daughter disqualified from being charity trustee.

What a sordid episode that was.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/captain-tom-daughter-charity-hannah-ingram-b2573317.html

Commission report not out yet (so they are complaining about being so treated).
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    WeThink join the herd

It’s #GE2024    Election week 🔥 Here are our final VI scores on the door - Labour down by 1 whilst the Cons haves crept up 3 - giving Labour a final 18 point lead.

🔴 Lab 41% (-1)
    🔵 Con 23% (+3)
    ⚪ Ref 15% (-1)
    🟠 LD 11% (+1)
    🟢 Green 7% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (-1)
    🟣 Ind 2% (NC)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,507
    Barnesian said:

Wow. He kept his defection to Reform quiet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornchurch_and_Upminster_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    ToryJim said:

Looks like I’m in with a shout of being represented by the youngest MP in the next Parliament.

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1808412853847687221?s=46

Which one of the 3? I don't think Kemi will lose.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,011
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:
    I am in the green for £400 if she is candidate and a further £700 if she makes POTUS.

Go girl!
    I'm £470 green if she is nominee but never backed her for POTUS as I don't believe she would win.
    Betfair POTUS

Trump +276.95
    Harris +304.66
    Biden +1315.51
    Whitmer +163.61
    Newsom, Obama -936.47
    The field +163.61

Dem Nominee (Smarkets)

Harris (& the field) +14.71
    Biden +538.66

Smarkets POTUS

Harris +730.79
    Biden, Trump & the field -53.12
    That's a great Presidential book, in particular, Pulpy.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,141
    edited July 3

An uplifting story from COVID, but was elevated by her / her connections from the get go. I at least hope that she got greedy afterwards, rather than something more cynical.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,691
    Heathener said:

Ouch.

Yes, I remember Sturgeon's triumphalism. This is why I am so looking forward to the day she is arrested and charged for her antics in the SNP.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,317

Scott_xP said:

@OpiniumResearch

• Con 21% (+1)
    • Lab 41% (+1)
    • Reform 17% (n/c)
    • LD 11% (-2)
    • Green 7% (+1)
    • SNP 2% (-1)

Have we? Who are these left-leaning people who have been posting endlessly about Opinium?
    Well, me for starters, whenever right-leaning posters would point to Opinium top the exclusion of all other pollsters.
    Barnesian said:

I mentioned this the other day when one of the MRPs said Reform would win Hornchurch where Nick Palmer is the candidate.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,723
    Barnesian said:

Nick went from supporting Corbyn in 2017/19 to supporting Nigel today.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,691

Heathener said:

Ouch.

Yes, I remember Sturgeon's triumphalism. This is why I am so looking forward to the day she is arrested and charged for her antics in the SNP.
    ..revenge is best served cold...
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,740
    Barnesian said:

if you rely too much on AI
    edited July 3
    Despite this being, allegedly, a pretty dull GE, it's hard to keep up with the volume of posts on here.

Thank Christ there's nothing happening on the other side of the pond to make it even harder.
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Remember he was hiding his homosexuality for many years (very sad, but that's what he felt he needed to do)
    If he was hiding it, he did a ridiculously bad job of it.

I used to go to a number of things organised at the Jubilee room at the House of Commons. If you organised an event and brought in some booze, you could get half a parliament turning up for the freebies. It was interesting to see backbenchers before they became famous. Blair gatecrashed one....

Anyway, Portillo was a regular at such. And regularly spent the entire evening talking to the more attractive blokes.

One hilarious occasion - a friend had a girlfriend who was an actual, if minor, model. Most of the MPs were talking to her. When they chatted with Portillo, he utterly blanked her and talked across her to my friend.

What made it even funnier was that she wasn't used to men ignoring her like that - she had to push them away with a stick normally. She wasn't nasty or anything - you could see the confusion on her face.

Strangely, she only twigged about Portillo, when I told her afterwards that it was an open secret.
    Andy_JS said:

ToryJim said:

Looks like I’m in with a shout of being represented by the youngest MP in the next Parliament.

The oldest of the three 😉

Barnesian said:

NPXMP in a three-way?
    And deliberate use of the word 'swing', methinks.

An uplifting story from COVID, but was elevated by her / her connections from the get go. I at least hope that she got greedy afterwards, rather than something more cynical.
    On behalf of the kind of charity trustees I know - carefully counting every penny and not claiming half the expenses they could - bravo to her disqualification.
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    The Baxterised Opinium figures appears to indicate a real shocker for the Tories, showing the following outcome:

Labour 472
    Cons 62
    LibDems 70
    Reform 6
    Greens 3
    SNP 15
    Others 4
    N.I. 18

Total 650

LabMaj 294
  • eekeek Posts: 27,347

Leon said:

OK I'm going to have a bash at predicting the Worst Possible But Reasonable Tory outcome

Sadly, my bet with @Sandpit is surely lost. They will win at least one seat. But what is a reasonable worst expectation?

I reckon 30-60 seats, and they are behind Reform in votes, and behind the LDs in seats

It doesn't take much movement, on the day, for that to happen

The current movement in the polls is towards the Tories, presumably as the don't knows finally bow to the inevitable and return to the Tory fold. I would be surprised if that ended up being a polling artefact.

Tactical voting would have to be surprisingly effective to drive the Tories below the Liberal Democrats on seats, I think.

I have that slightly outside my reasonable worst expectation for the Tories now, as a result of the polling movements since the weekend.
    I wouldn’t be the surprised if the pollster models don’t bake in swingback.
    There is a thread a while back showing the pollsters who did forecasts (I.e. added swing back) and those that did nowcasts.

I don’t see any sign that the nowcasters were wrong
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,905
    Heathener said:

sarissa said:

I will be opening the Chablis if Sunak loses... One must celebrate appropriately :)

At thet time of night/morning, I'll probably have a sandwich...
    For some inexplicable reason I’ve bought some scotch eggs. I never eat scotch eggs! Just fancy them on election night.

Diet coke to help counter migraines as I’ll be on keyboard and tv screen. I never drink diet coke.

Also some Comté cheese with pitta and Ryvitas, olives, peppermint tea, special k bars

No alcohol because I don’t touch the stuff
    You have the cheek to complain about Leon posts when you post absolute crap constantly, WTF and quel surprise you don't drink, would not go with the quinoa and pea shoots.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740

Heathener said:

Ouch.

I was expecting her arrest to be in the last few days, purely coincidentally, you understand.
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

sarissa said:

I will be opening the Chablis if Sunak loses... One must celebrate appropriately :)

For some inexplicable reason I’ve bought some scotch eggs. I never eat scotch eggs! Just fancy them on election night.

Diet coke to help counter migraines as I’ll be on keyboard and tv screen. I never drink diet coke.

Also some Comté cheese with pitta and Ryvitas, olives, peppermint tea, special k bars

You have the cheek to complain about Leon posts when you post absolute crap constantly, WTF and quel surprise you don't drink, would not go with the quinoa and pea shoots.
    Have you laid in cask strength turnip juice for The Big Night?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,031
    From Yougov website

Our final MRP model ahead of the general election on Thursday shows a large Labour majority and a crushing defeat for the Conservative party.

Our central projections are vote shares of 22% for the Conservatives, 39% for Labour, 15% for Reform UK, 12% for the Liberal Democrats and 7% for the Greens.

These would result in 431 seats for Labour, 102 for the Conservatives, 72 for the Liberal Democrats, 2 for the Greens and 3 for Reform UK. The SNP have 18 seats in Scotland, and Plaid Cymru 3 in Wales.
    llef said:

More in common has Plaid coming 4th in Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen).
    I know Carmarthen (won by Plaid in 2019) has had bits of Tory Pembrokeshire tacked on, but I still find that idea unrealistic....

Conservative: 17%
    Labour: 40%
    Liberal Democrat: 5%
    Green Party: 3%
    Reform UK: 22%
    SNP: 0%
    Plaid Cymru: 13%
    Other: 0%

Totally unrealistic, I agree.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,011
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:
    I am in the green for £400 if she is candidate and a further £700 if she makes POTUS.

Go girl!
    I'm £470 green if she is nominee but never backed her for POTUS as I don't believe she would win.
    Betfair POTUS

Trump +276.95
    Harris +304.66
    Biden +1315.51
    Whitmer +163.61
    Newsom, Obama -936.47
    The field +163.61

Dem Nominee (Smarkets)

Harris (& the field) +14.71
    Biden +538.66

Smarkets POTUS

Harris +730.79
    Biden, Trump & the field -53.12
    That's a great Presidential book, in particular,Pulpy.
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

All the MRPs are wrong, in that case.
    I'm sceptical of the MRPs this time.

People are reading them as constituency polls, and they're not.

From Yougov website

Our final MRP model ahead of the general election on Thursday shows a large Labour majority and a crushing defeat for the Conservative party.

Our central projections are vote shares of 22% for the Conservatives, 39% for Labour, 15% for Reform UK, 12% for the Liberal Democrats and 7% for the Greens.

These would result in 431 seats for Labour, 102 for the Conservatives, 72 for the Liberal Democrats, 2 for the Greens and 3 for Reform UK. The SNP have 18 seats in Scotland, and Plaid Cymru 3 in Wales.

Quite a bit of MRP herding going on at the moment
    Farooq said:

Despite this being, allegedly, a pretty dull GE, it's hard to keep up with the volume of posts on here.

Thank Christ there's nothing happening on the other side of the pond to make it even harder.

This is anything but a dull GE.
    I said 'allegedly'.
    I think it's fabulously exciting.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,336
    edited July 3
    The big forecasting question for this election is not the polls - which seem to be herding towards L 39, C 21, LD 11, Ref 16, Green 7 - but the EC seat predictor, which on those figures gives:

L 462 (274 maj)
    C 70
    L 70 (!)
    Ref 7
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Others 20

I mean, I'd love it if they were right but put me down as a sceptic.

(Then again, the MPRs...)

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I used to go to a number of things organised at the Jubilee room at the House of Commons. If you organised an event and brought in some booze, you could get half a parliament turning up for the freebies. It was interesting to see backbenchers before they became famous. Blair gatecrashed one....

Anyway, Portillo was a regular at such. And regularly spent the entire evening talking to the more attractive blokes.

One hilarious occasion - a friend had a girlfriend who was an actual, if minor, model. Most of the MPs were talking to her. When they chatted with Portillo, he utterly blanked her and talked across her to my friend.

What made it even funnier was that she wasn't used to men ignoring her like that - she had to push them away with a stick normally. She wasn't nasty or anything - you could see the confusion on her face.

Strangely, she only twigged about Portillo, when I told her afterwards that it was an open secret.
    Yes, it was SCREAMINGLY obvious - the multicoloured shirts were more than a hint

However he really was closeted. It is such a sad thing, and I am glad people don't have to do it any more - at the moment.....

It is one primary reason I am against Muslim immigration from conservative Muslim countries where homophobia is rife, indeed murderous. We really do risk importing these antiquated attitudes having successfully liberated ourselves from them. It is a tragic error. Pym Fortuyn (gay, of course) foresaw this evolution many years ago
    ToryJim said:

Andy_JS said:

ToryJim said:

The oldest of the three 😉
    The last time the capital of Herts had a Lab MP was with Shirley William in the 1970s.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,335
    @Steven_Swinford
    BREAKING

Labour is on track to win the largest majority of any party in modern history, YouGov MRP poll suggests

Final YouGov poll of campaign suggests Tories will be reduced to 102 MPs, having lost 70% of seats they won in 2019

Labour expected to win 431 seats, giving Keir Starmer a majority of 212. It would be the largest majority for any single party since 1832

It suggests that Tory warnings over a Labour super-majority are not working - if anything the gap is widening

Con: 102
    Lab: 431
    Lib Dem: 72
    SNP: 18
    Greens: 2
    Reform: 3
    Plaid: 3

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1808532075332456729
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,052

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I like your pun "Twigged"....

He was heavily criticised because he was "openly gay off the record" but was more than just in denial on the record. He was hippocritical about gay rights and his voting record on that subject. After the 97 election he became much more open and supportive.

Heathener said:

Ouch.

I was expecting her arrest to be in the last few days, purely coincidentally, you understand.
    Perhaps there’s a logic to her being in a tv studio south of the border in the early hours of Friday morning…
    I wonder when Malcolm will twig that I never read anything he posts but scan straight past.

Awwww bless. Frothing into his bib.

Right, Emma is coming on court ...
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

sarissa said:

Due you have a bottle of malt set aside for the most enjoyable results, Malc? I have a good bottle of Glen Garioch ready for DRoss’s defeat.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,898

From Yougov website

Con very close to an extinction event there (which I thinking is anything under 100 seats and/or the Lib-Dems replacing them as the Official Opposition)

The big forecasting question for this election is not the polls - which seem to be herding towards L 39, C 21, LD 11, Ref 16, Green 7 - but the EC seat predictor, which on those figures gives:

L 462 (274 maj)
    C 70
    L 70 (!)
    Ref 7
    Green 3
    SNP 15
    PC 3
    Others 20

I mean, I'd love it if they were right but put me down as a sceptic.

(Then again, the MPRs...)

It's hard to see how the Lib Dems finish ahead of the Conservatives on half the vote share.

Averaging 12 eve of polls (and excluding the MRP's) we get

Labour 38.8%
    Conservative 21.0%,
    Reform 16.5%
    Lib Dem 10.8%.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,247

IanB2 said:

Dog’s in a cone due to an eye infection, so he’s a bit grumpy. Hearing about all the Tories due to lose their seats tomorrow night isn’t cheering him up, sadly.

Have you tried the inflatable rings instead? Worked way better for our dog - she used it as a comfy pillow.
    Mine shredded it. She shreds most things.

She is particularly savage with election literature.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Tories hold Harrow East with YG @Sean_F
    Also hold on to Finchley but lose Orpington
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 3
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

sarissa said:

The Aldi Cuckoo Clock (the one you said looked like a demented pigeon clock in 2016) is all set too Cockoo the exit poll in at 10PM tomorrow
  • ChristopherChristopher Posts: 91

From Yougov website

Yep tories between 21 and 23% now central projection. Some minor swingback but nowhere near enough.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,499

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Yes, Portillo was intensely disliked by most non-Tories. At that time he was on the right of the party, favoured by people like Tebbit, and had quite an unpleasant streak.

It was later that he mellowed and became the urbane sophisticate that we all know and love now.
    He wasn’t gay back then, either. Well he was, obvs, but he wasn’t.

Tories hold Harrow East with YG @Sean_F
    Also hold on to Finchley but lose Orpington

If the Tories win 100-149, and hold Harrow East, then I make a profit of £137.50.
    What we can confidently predict is that this will be an outstandingly exciting election night. The likes of which none of us has ever seen
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,165
    YouGov have LD on 4% in ANME!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,499
    AnneJGP said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

On a personal level, losing his seat did him a favour. He'd become obnoxious, bumptious, preening - and that was only how he came over on TV. With his bubble burst, he managed to salvage the real person - at least as far as TV could show.

His double act with Diane Abbot then Alan Johnson on Andrew Neil was usually good value, as well
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Yes, it was SCREAMINGLY obvious - the multicoloured shirts were more than a hint

However he really was closeted. It is such a sad thing, and I am glad people don't have to do it any more - at the moment.....

It is one primary reason I am against Muslim immigration from conservative Muslim countries where homophobia is rife, indeed murderous. We really do risk importing these antiquated attitudes having successfully liberated ourselves from them. It is a tragic error. Pym Fortuyn (gay, of course) foresaw this evolution many years ago
    And got shot by a Gaia fanatic.
    Could someone repost the link to the google doc of the expected results times per constituency?
    edited July 3

YouGov have LD on 4% in ANME!

Most of the MRPs have the party on a very low vote share in that constituency.
    Another vicious 1997 campaign was in Exeter where the execrable Dr Adrian Rogers ran a horrendous homophobic campaign against my friend Ben Bradshaw.

Ben’s victory was a wonderful moment. Again, a sea-change signal.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,141
    What has the Unknown Stuntman's finale been?
    edited July 3

Could someone repost the link to the google doc of the expected results times per constituency?

Edit wrong one. Here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TskjcRFG9P0FLFeLzU6m3hefToD1aSC8rw8tj6_H7Rg/edit
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,336

What has the Unknown Stuntman's finale been?

Skydiving into the LOTO job.

Heathener said:

Ouch.

What an arse, no whining about the billions stolen by your Tory chums or the mass of crimes they have commited down south. Hopefully you choke on your hubris.
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

sarissa said:

Oh shut up you miserable old fart
    Get stuffed you pompous halfwitted bag of shite
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,335

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TskjcRFG9P0FLFeLzU6m3hefToD1aSC8rw8tj6_H7Rg/edit?gid=917539569#gid=917539569
This discussion has been closed.